Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, chessiegal said:

You really can see that what commercials you see on cable depend on the channels you watch. I discovered that the "Decades" channel is showing Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, and Newhart from 2 pm - 5 pm ET. So I see 3 hours of commercials for Medicare ads, sue people for a bad shingles vaccine, Tom Selleck extolling the virtues of a particular company that offers reverse mortgages (because he's researched them, and they care about you/insert eye roll), and catheters that hardly hurt at all! So it seems this baby boomer has reached a demographic they are going for. Sigh..

We have a similar channel in my location and used to watch "The Honeymooners."  They also run ads for hearing aids at a lower-than-normal volume, so my husband and I joke about, "What's that?  What'd he say?"  "HEARING AIDS!  THEY'RE SELLING HEARING AIDS."

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

We have a similar channel in my location and used to watch "The Honeymooners."  They also run ads for hearing aids at a lower-than-normal volume, so my husband and I joke about, "What's that?  What'd he say?"  "HEARING AIDS!  THEY'RE SELLING HEARING AIDS."

Perfect!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Oh god, that's hilarious!

• Love 6

I assume there's a TV version of this ad I keep hearing for Morgan and Morgan, the chain of ambulance-chasers in which John Morgan talks about when he survived his car getting hit by a semi-truck, he thought about all his clients, both past and present and how -- Oh shut the fuck up! The topper is him smugly mentioning the look on the truck-driver's face when he saw who he had hit. That ad just enrages me to no end.

• Love 4
On 4/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, Brattinella said:

Aww, my friend Danny is a wonderful guy!  Very kind and generous.  I dislike the Sling commercials, though.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:44 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Me too. He's a big animal-welfare advocate. And...

Ok. I take back any negative remarks i made regarding Danny. I love anyone who helps animals!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Denying people water while they are engaged in heavy workouts can literally kill them.

Not funny.

Well, and also, that commercial is just dumb anyway, because just because you put anti-perspirant in your pits doesn't mean you won't be sweating on the rest of your body.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Okay, that is ENOUGH, ID Channel!  NO more snow leopard crippled with a trap on her foot!  Damn this thing is shown at least four times an hour!  NO MORE!

That one makes me think the film crew set the trap so that they could get a snow leopard on camera. What are the chances of them accidentally getting a shot like that if snow leopards are as rare as they say?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That one makes me think the film crew set the trap so that they could get a snow leopard on camera. What are the chances of them accidentally getting a shot like that if snow leopards are as rare as they say?

Well, THAT'S a horrifying thought!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I'm thinking they caught it on a poacher cam, or something similar.  Still, I hate it as much as I hate the one with the baby tiger in the crosshairs.  :/

• Love 1
15 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I'd prefer to believe that the animal activists set up cameras in the snow leopards habitat to ultimately catch poachers and THAT'S how they got that on film. 

• Love 7

I know most people here are irritated by the drug commercials but Linzess has reached a new low- literally showing two people sitting on their toilets! It's bad enough I have to hear about their personal digestive issues and the fact that this drug you are trying to sell them may cause bloody or black stools but I have no desire to watch them spending "too much time in the bathroom."

Make it stop!

• Love 17
8 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

I know most people here are irritated by the drug commercials but Linzess has reached a new low- literally showing two people sitting on their toilets! It's bad enough I have to hear about their personal digestive issues and the fact that this drug you are trying to sell them may cause bloody or black stools but I have no desire to watch them spending "too much time in the bathroom."

Make it stop!

Haven't seen this one yet! What medical ailment is this drug supposed to help? Sounds gross.

Holiday Inn Express has brought back their creepy commercial of a creepy hotel guest/serial killer looking over the breakfast bar and greeting all of the food by name.  "Hello, Lady Bacon.  Good to see you, Scrambled Eggs."  Just before he stuffs a piece of bacon in his mouth, why doesn't he say, "Nothing personal, Lady Bacon"? 

I think a much more effective commercial would be to show a family enjoying all of the offerings of a Holiday Inn Express breakfast buffet before they head off to Disney World, or whatever. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Ah the good old days when we didn't have animated bears discussing the horrors of rough toilet paper and British women asking about the cleanliness of our bums and if we can go commando. 

Or the lady with the SUPER annoying voice talking about "Kiester".  A marching band!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Holiday Inn Express has brought back their creepy commercial of a creepy hotel guest/serial killer looking over the breakfast bar and greeting all of the food by name.  "Hello, Lady Bacon.  Good to see you, Scrambled Eggs."  Just before he stuffs a piece of bacon in his mouth, why doesn't he say, "Nothing personal, Lady Bacon"? 

I think a much more effective commercial would be to show a family enjoying all of the offerings of a Holiday Inn Express breakfast buffet before they head off to Disney World, or whatever. 

Haha! I know! That guy looks like he's wandered into the Holiday Inn right after stuffing a body in the trunk of his 1976 Ford Pinto.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Little pooping monster toys.  I can just imagine those tiny poop things getting swallowed by kids and choking them.

I've never seen a commercial that makes absolutely no f'n sense (to me). Maybe it's about kids? and I have none. Maybe it's a toy to teach kids to poop in a toilet? But what are those tiny little things being extracted from the toilet? 

Is "i have to pooparoo" the new "i gotta take a shit?"

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I've never seen a commercial that makes absolutely no f'n sense (to me). Maybe it's about kids? and I have none. Maybe it's a toy to teach kids to poop in a toilet? But what are those tiny little things being extracted from the toilet?

AND those tiny little things being extracted from the toilet are then EATEN by the toilet's mouth!  GAH!!!

25 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

AND those tiny little things being extracted from the toilet are then EATEN by the toilet's mouth!  GAH!!!

Thanks Brattinella...I somehow missed that part of the video! Lucky for me!

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

PoopaRoos are simply disgusting.  And wrong.  And NO ONE should buy them!  Just horrifying.

That is CRAZY! I will say that this guy does a super fun review of it. 

Pooparoo Review

Oh boy. I just spent the last 30 minutes watching the guy in that video opening blind boxes of toys. I think I have a new addiction.

Edited by configdotsys
Added a confession.
  • Love 1

There is an Alfa Romeo commercial with two of their cars spinning in circles while a truly dreadful rendition of Wicked Game moans in the background. If they’re competing with Toyota for most annoying music in a commercial, I can only say “well played, Alfa Romeo. Well played indeed.” 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Little pooping monster toys.  I can just imagine those tiny poop things getting swallowed by kids and choking them.

Wait. You mix up the play FOOD in the toilet, feed it to the creature, who then poops it back into the toilet. 

What's that saying? Don't shit where you eat? I think it applies here.

• Love 8

Lowe's Home Improvement. *sigh*

I get they are trying to sell product, and a lot of the commercials make sense. Better patio furniture, better landscaping, etc. But the ad I saw yesterday...

A woman  is in her kitchen and has a lot of her stuff connected over wi-fi. So she says "Turn on the lights!" And they come on. "Play music!" Comes on. "Start the washer!" Roh-oh. Next scene, she's in Lowe's checking out an overpriced washer and dryer set that she can connect and control with her smartphone.

Keep in mind, there's no indication that anything is wrong with the old set. But yeah, she's happy to drop $$$ so she can click an app. Oy.

• Love 15
15 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Nope, it's these people....

That ad reminds me of one of my biggest complaints about ads.  Why does it say don't give to kids under six and should not be given to kids six to eighteen?  Why not just say don't give to kids under eighteen?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Why does it say don't give to kids under six and should not be given to kids six to eighteen?  Why not just say don't give to kids under eighteen?

I take that to mean it cannot be given to kids under six under any circumstances, and it shouldn't be given to kids six to eighteen unless circumstances mean the need and benefit outweigh the risks and side effects.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tanyak said:

A woman  is in her kitchen and has a lot of her stuff connected over wi-fi. So she says "Turn on the lights!" And they come on. "Play music!" Comes on. "Start the washer!" Roh-oh. Next scene, she's in Lowe's checking out an overpriced washer and dryer set that she can connect and control with her smartphone.

And doesn't she still have to go to the washer to load it and add detergent and all?  Turning on an empty dryer won't do any good, either.

• Love 20
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And doesn't she still have to go to the washer to load it and add detergent and all?  Turning on an empty dryer won't do any good, either.

Oh Browncoat, are you trying to be smarter than the smart appliances? LOL

May the day never come when my appliances have a bigger IQ or more control over my life than I do.

• Love 13
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only useful application I can see is if I'm too busy with something to unload the dryer and want it to continue running, but yeah, that's a lot of money to spend on an occasional inconvenience.

• Love 7

Has anyone mentioned my new MOST HATED commercial and its for GE appliances? I hate it so much that I don't even want to type about it. The designer lady is visiting with client in the new, pretty kitchen and client's son is sitting no on the floor playing. Designer lady put her purse on the floor (not on the table that is right there) and kid, who is old enough to know better, grabs designer's breast pump out of the purse and starts playing with it. Then there is fake embarrassment from both designer and client about kid finding the gasp! breast pump! How in the world this scenario works for an appliance commercial I will never understand. It is just so freaking stupid.

• Love 7