Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Looks like Jinger's retroactive wedding planning will get a lot of attention. Per a TLC press release, the next "season" will be 11 episodes. I can't believe they're going to show her dress shopping in suburban DC where Jill got her dress (and we saw fan pics of them as proof). She got her dress from a phony "designer" (claims she designed at least the bridesmaid dresses) in Pensacola. Tell me they're not going to bore us with TWO shopping trips! Nice to know they have cash to burn to drag probably close to ten people to multiple locations to dress shop, although I suspect TLC footed the bill for the DC trip, thinking it would be cute and [faux] sisterly to go to that shop again. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Brought over from the wedding thread, issues about how the male Duggar spouses were raised that differ from the Duggars. Chuck Vuolo's church is almost as small as Jeremy, only 100 congregants, and it doesn't specify any denomination. He must have another career to make real money. Hopefully, Jeremy saw this growing up and will pick up a real job to supplement what is surely a paltry junior pastor's salary. I also wonder about the homeschooing he received. I believe both parents have Masters degrees (I know Diana does), so I hope that their childrens' educations were carefully planned. I know many Christian families who utilize co-ops for core subjects, and these families got their kids into top colleges. Real ones. I know Jeremy went to a small college, but it was certainly on a scholarship (or partial) due to soccer. His brother didn't learn cinemetography at Duggar Studios; he went to a real college somewhere to hone his craft. Same goes for Valerie; her music education goes beyond the church pianist teaching her scales. Diana acutally let her go to expand on what she taught, obviously realizing that her model wasn't the only possible path to becoming a successful musician. I have hope that Jeremy can steer Jinger along this kind of homeschooling, rather than the wretched education model she was saddled with. 

Ben might also influence Jessa along those lines, but not to the same degree. I'm pretty sure that one of his parents also came from the homeschool culture, and while they do co-op and Ben was allowed to play team sports, there was still that Vision Forum cloud hanging over them. And fucking Spurgeon. Jessa is in control and will follow much of the Gothard curriculum. 

I don't think Jinger can steamroll Jeremy that easily, and their kids may actually have a chance at accomplishing something in their lives, unlike their Stage 5 clinger mother. 

• Love 4

I'm bored and avoiding work.  :)

Do we have an exact denomination for Jeremy's little church in Laredo? 

Did you see on the Jim Bob and Michelle thread that Jim Bob is having cement work done on a building that looks like a church?

Jim Bob might've solved a problem.  Jeremy and Ben like to pretend they are preachers and Derick totally pretends he is a missionary...uh huh...could be a slick move.  

Time will tell....

• Love 4

Jeremy knows about co-ops and how they work. He especially needed them for soccer. Sometimes, they contain non-likeminded people. Jinger is a follower. This is why I have a little hope for their kids. Derick has already hastagged #homeschool, so I'm scared for their progeny with Jilly Muffin at the helm. I think Derick has some fantasy about homeschooling that doesn't exist. His head is in the clouds pretty much all the time. I bet he will just let Jill handle Izzy's education, since he's so busy being Captain Save A Ho. Their only hope is Cathy, but she's as bad as the rest of them now. Jessa? She'll do what she must to secure a TLC paycheck. If that means enrolling Spurge in preschool as she tries to wrestle another infant and toddler, she'll do it. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Looks like a sweet little church but I heard Jeremy try to preach a few sermons on youtube and it was really, really disjointed and disorganized preaching. He had no notes prepared and was just talking for an hour off the top of his head.  Does his father do that? 

Out of the three married sisters,; Jill, Jessa and Jinger....Jessa will be the best homeschooler because I she is competitive and probably has the highest natural intelligence. 

Editing that I don't think Jessa is very bright but I think she has the most spunk and ability to learn. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I homeschool and I'm not really sure what the heck the Duggars are doing. Jeremy will have a heart attack...

If he doesn't his parents will. Even though he went through homeschooling as a student, he may have no clue as to how to actually create lessons, teach, find a good co-op, etc. His role was to be where his mom told him to be and not much more as a kid. Jeremy isn't stupid, but sometimes guys especially don't have a clue how things work until they're in a specific role themselves. 

In traditional Christian homeschool families, the father picks out the curriculum or at least has a very big hand in selecting things. It is a joint effort that they pray about, finances, which groups to join, etc. 

In this instance, it will work to the advantage of the children. Jeremy is much more qualified on so many levels to guide their homeschooling. Since Jinger is a follower, she will not use the "beloved Wisdom Books" and purchase an actual curriculum. Maaaaybe, with Jeremy's help and support, she might manage pretty well.  He is a "pastor" so he will have access to all sorts of church run co-ops, which can be very well run. Jinge can meet other families who have a brain in their head and aspire for their kids to have an education, attend college etc.  Jinge will learn about different educational styles, child development etc.  She might even realize that Wisdom Booklets and All Day Computer Lazy Parent Homeschool are a disgrace. 

Derick is clueless and like Sew said, has his head in the clouds.  Izzy is in the most trouble, by far.  

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
On 11/23/2016 at 5:40 PM, estellasmum said:

Never heard of LLR before, but got an e-mail saying that they were going to be in the staff room of the school that I work at during conferences, and so many of the teachers responded that they were thrilled. I'm an assistant, not a teacher, so I wasn't going to go, but after reading the comments here, I had to wander down and take a look. Hoo Boy! The entire staff room was packed with overpriced frumpy crap. I can never look at the people I work with in the same way ever again! 

On topic: I never want to see generational pictures of people kissing at a wedding again. 

On 11/20/2016 at 6:13 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Who mentioned the LulaRoe dress? I saw a pic of it the other day on FJ, but didn't think anything of it. I just saw a post from Sierra, and someone mentioned the brand (as pertaining to her leggings, I later discovered). 

It looks like LulaRoe is the latest fundie MLM scheme. It may even surpass JillRod's Plexus as the Product of the Moment in their circles. You can't buy the stuff unless you go to a "party" or a pop-up. As for Jinger's dress, I guess someone at the party bought it for her; otherwise, how would you know her size since she covers herself up with sweaters all the time?

On 11/20/2016 at 6:31 PM, Sew Sumi said:

If a vanity small is actually a real-life XL, what the hell size does Jinger wear? A kid's 14? They must have kids' stuff if anything is supposed to even fit Jinger really, really baggy (baggily?). Girl is the size of a pencil. 

Some of it runs big, but not all of it. They don't sell kids' stuff except for leggings, I don't think.

On 11/22/2016 at 4:47 PM, Christina87 said:

I can't believe so many of you haven't heard of LuLaRoe! I have like 5 high school acquaintances on FB who hawk it like crazy. Apparently because they quit their jobs, you, as an acquaintance they haven't seen in 10 years, are responsible for footing the bill for their kids' activities and vacations. Now, my mom was a SAHM, but she didn't think her friends were required to fund her lifestyle. These girls will get in your face about how terrible you are to buy leggings from target, but girl, my leggings didn't cost $30, and they aren't deadly Fran Drescher patterns!

I had never heard of Lularoe until my sister started selling it. And let me assure you, she is the furthest thing from fundie and so are her friends who sell it! Nor is it some kind of pyramid scheme. My sister doesn't try to guilt her friends into buying; she does Facebook sales that interested people all over the country search for. So your generalizations about how the sellers behave aren't true for those I know. As for whether it's frumpy or not, that's in the eye of the beholder. Some fairly stylish people I know love it; others don't but teachers especially seem to love how comfortable they are. 

I have no agenda to promote LulaRoe! I just was really surprised to see it being referred to as some kind of fundie scheme. I guess it was founded by Mormons, but most of its fans have no particular religious agenda.

• Love 7

I had never heard of Lularoe until my sister started selling it. And let me assure you, she is the furthest thing from fundie and so are her friends who sell it! Nor is it some kind of pyramid scheme. My sister doesn't try to guilt her friends into buying; she does Facebook sales that interested people all over the country search for. So your generalizations about how the sellers behave aren't true for those I know. As for whether it's frumpy or not, that's in the eye of the beholder. Some fairly stylish people I know love it; others don't but teachers especially seem to love how comfortable they are. 

I have no agenda to promote LulaRoe!

same for me - my sister started selling it on f/b.  i happen to love the carly dresses  - they fit my rather large weight gain comfortably. leggins are not my friend, however.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Some of it runs big, but not all of it. They don't sell kids' stuff except for leggings, I don't think.

I have no agenda to promote LulaRoe! I just was really surprised to see it being referred to as some kind of fundie scheme. I guess it was founded by Mormons, but most of its fans have no particular religious agenda.

Maybe I just know more annoying sellers. ?

• Love 2

Jeremy's sermon 9/11/16

He isn't terrible.  This time, he has notes that he is working off of and is more organized than his previous ramblings. 

Edit: I fast forwarded around and at 23 minutes Jeremy was all excited by being blessed with TWO TOILETS. This guy is so unique...

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Nor is it some kind of pyramid scheme. My sister doesn't try to guilt her friends into buying; she does Facebook sales that interested people all over the country search for. So your generalizations about how the sellers behave aren't true for those I know.

How does she get paid? Are those who recruited her paid out of her commissions? Must she recruit others to get paid herself?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Jeremy is going to be in for a shock when he realizes Jinger is not capable of homeschooling the way his mother homeschooled. 

I am only sorry we'll never see those Duggar "very special episodes" in which the new Duggar spouses discover exactly how skimpy their new husband's/wife's education is and how it will affect their family going forward. One would think that it would be a prudent idea for one of the husbands involved to hire a tutor and look into remedial community college classes, but it hasn't happened yet.

We'll know if one or more of them finally gets it if and when they enroll any child resulting from the marriage in public school.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Marigold said:

Looks like a sweet little church but I heard Jeremy try to preach a few sermons on youtube and it was really, really disjointed and disorganized preaching. He had no notes prepared and was just talking for an hour off the top of his head.  Does his father do that? 

Out of the three married sisters,; Jill, Jessa and Jinger....Jessa will be the best homeschooler because I she is competitive and probably has the highest natural intelligence. 

Editing that I don't think Jessa is very bright but I think she has the most spunk and ability to learn. 

I think Jessa has a lot of practice with homeschooling too because when Michelle had to risk her life to give birth to Josie and then pretend to take care of her, Jessa had to take over the homeschooling for the rest of the children.  That's how she got her dominatrix reputation I'm pretty sure by disciplining all of the children to do their school work - now and without complaint and on time!

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Defrauder said:

IGrow the F up and realize God isn't blessing you with toilets and plumbing supplies.

I used to go to church with people that prayed aloud for a great parking space while they were cruising the mall parking lot.

They pray about everything. As I've said before, my mom would have told them they're so heavenly minded they're no earthly good.

• Love 19

Comedian Kathleen Madigan talked about the merits of Catholicism - You don't pray to Jesus/God for every little thing, you take it to his helpers (saints) first. Don't bother Jesus. :)

Does the lovely couple have an instagram account yet? I can't find one but perhaps that's due to my lack of abilities.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SpaghettiTuesdays said:

Comedian Kathleen Madigan talked about the merits of Catholicism - You don't pray to Jesus/God for every little thing, you take it to his helpers (saints) first. Don't bother Jesus. :)

Does the lovely couple have an instagram account yet? I can't find one but perhaps that's due to my lack of abilities.

Nada. I just check Duggarfam's account follows every now and again to see if anything's changed. It hasn't. It's a shame that Joy can't even follow her boyfriend. His account is private, but I bet he was besieged with add requests after the announcement. 

• Love 2

Jeremy has an interesting style of preaching.  He asks the congregants questions and engages them in the preaching. 

He needs to pick up the pace a bit but he has improved a lot since his crazy rants on celibacy that we all laughed at. He did not come off as bossy at all.  That's a good sign for Jinger. 

Edit: jeremy preaching on racism & a bit on the political climate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfH7zQhmFvs

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

I'm so glad Jinger loves NYC.  I keep hoping Jeremy & she will end up living there one day.  Maybe when he gets the preaching out of his system.  And I hope they have a tiny apartment so no other Duggars can come for an extended stay.

Never heard of Lularoe in my life and I'm in my sixties.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nada. I just check Duggarfam's account follows every now and again to see if anything's changed. It hasn't. It's a shame that Joy can't even follow her boyfriend. His account is private, but I bet he was besieged with add requests after the announcement. 

She could start an account under a different name and follow him. Wouldn't be difficult if she dared.:)

8 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jeremy has an interesting style of preaching.  He asks the congregants questions and engages them in the preaching. 

He needs to pick up the pace a bit but he has improved a lot since his crazy rants on celibacy that we all laughed at. He did not come off as bossy at all.  That's a good sign for Jinger. 

Edit: jeremy preaching on racism & a bit on the political climate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfH7zQhmFvs

I thought churches were obligated to stay out of politics (to justify their tax-free status)?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Absolom said:

Lula Roe is multilevel marketing.  There's no way to make that anything else.  That was a cute dress that was given to Jinger though.

Responding below.

14 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

How does she get paid? Are those who recruited her paid out of her commissions? Must she recruit others to get paid herself?

She makes her (substantial) money from buying the clothes at wholesale price, and selling it for the company's retail price, usually double or more what she pays for the wholesale boxes she orders. For example, leggings cost her $12 and she makes $25. The profit margin is even bigger for some of the other items like the Carly dress someone mentioned, where she makes something like $40 in profit. So, as best as I understand it, while you might receive a bonus for getting a new seller to sign on, it's not a scheme where you're taking another person's profits or having to give yours up.

It is a LOT of work, taking pictures of each thing with high quality lighting, posting them online, making packages, etc., but if you have the money for the initial multi thousand dollar investment and are willing to give up your free time, you can make a full time income with it, which she does. She sold 30 items over the weekend, all online to strangers, so no guilting friends or family! (I'm guessing it's a pretty good deal for the company too. I'm not sure the quality of the clothes is really any better than Wal-Mart, so the appeal is the unusual patterns made in limited quantities, and they seem to be very successful!)

13 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

I used to go to church with people that prayed aloud for a great parking space while they were cruising the mall parking lot.

They pray about everything. As I've said before, my mom would have told them they're so heavenly minded they're no earthly good.

This mindset makes my blood boil with its incredible arrogance and lack of compassion.  

starvation meme.jpg

• Love 15
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I thought churches were obligated to stay out of politics (to justify their tax-free status)?

Jeremy wasn't endorsing anyone or mentioning anyone by name.  He was just referring to the angry political climate and how hurt so many people are feeling lately and then touched on race relations currently.  

We all have just wondered how much awareness the Duggar clan even has about things.  Jeremy is well aware of what's going on. 

I just found it interesting that he is that informed on current events.  

• Love 2

Don't want to get too off topic, but churches do have a tendency to insert political issues into sermons and events they host. There were a number of churches in my area that were pro-gay marriage in the 2000s and one refused to do marriage ceremonies until laws changed so all could be married.  African American churches also have a tradition of political activism and hosting politicians.  The South Carolina pastor murdered by Dylan Roof in Charleston was also a State Congressman.  I've had a priest pray for the death penalty to end during a service. I don't know where the line is drawn between the church addressing human rights and politics, but it can get blurry across the political spectrum. 

• Love 2

Someone at my church sets out stacks of passive-aggressive "Christian voter guides" which purport to be neutral but clearly communicate that voting Republican is the only moral, Christian option.  It's the strangest thing, though . . . those voter guides tend to go missing when no one's looking.  ::wink::

• Love 14

I think a pastor is not allowed to directly tell his/her congregation who to vote for, but they can certainly hint like crazy!

I wonder if KJB is hoping that the Duggar church will get its own show, once the audience gets bored with marrying/babies?  After all, the three oldest girls are all involved in the churching business.  I'm not sure if Jessa will be happy if Babe is in charge, although I'm sure Bin will be; he seems a second-banana type. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jeremy wasn't endorsing anyone or mentioning anyone by name.  He was just referring to the angry political climate and how hurt so many people are feeling lately and then touched on race relations currently.  

We all have just wondered how much awareness the Duggar clan even has about things.  Jeremy is well aware of what's going on. 

I just found it interesting that he is that informed on current events.  

I checked the election results of Webb Co., where Laredo is located. For such a large city, very few voted, I suppose because many residents are still Mexican citizens. At any rate, Hillary destroyed Trump. Not surprising for a border county. Jeremy has an uphill battle of soul-winning ahead of him there. He has to convert both religious doctrine as well as political dogma. No wonder he only has something like 50 people in his congregation.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Laredo is one of the least diverse larger cities -population approximately 600k - in the US; it is 95.6% (or close to it, going off memory) Hispanic. I've never seen a breakdown of American citizens vs. Mexican, many of whom may be working towards citizenship. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Laredo is one of the least diverse larger cities -population approximately 600k) - in the US; it is 95.6% (or close to it, going off memory) Hispanic. I've never seen a breakdown of American citizens vs. Mexican, many of whom may be working towards citizenship. 

Am I horribly naive in thinking that since Jeremy grew up and lives in a town so defined by immigration, that he might be less than pleased with Trump's racism and that this might've swayed him to secretly vote Hillary? Or at least be critical of Trump despite voting for him?

Ugh. I just find this whole idea of mixing politics with religion so weird and confusing. Like we've got a "Christian Democratic" party, and they're socially conservative and right wing economically (though nowhere near Tea Party levels), but they're barely scraping by, with like 4-5% percent of the votes, because most people understand that their religion is something private that shouldn't affect other people.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Fosca said:

I  I'm not sure if Jessa will be happy if Babe is in charge, although I'm sure Bin will be; he seems a second-banana type. 

Jeremy is at least ordained by someone and is pastoring a church. Also a decade older than Benny. 

Ben is still writing sloppy FB posts and offending people somehow. 

Love how the plan is all coming together... (evil Jim Bob laugh) 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Am I horribly naive in thinking that since Jeremy grew up and lives in a town so defined by immigration, that he might be less than pleased with Trump's racism and that this might've swayed him to secretly vote Hillary? Or at least be critical of Trump despite voting for him?

Jeremy grew up in Laredo?  For some reason, I thought he just lived there and grew up in the northeast or thereabouts.

• Love 1

w/r/t that new property, how long would it take for JB to set it up so that it functions more like a church than a house (there's already a lack of windows on the far left side? Huh?). And if this guy is fixing it, it's more work than the Duggars are used to, maybe requiring a real contractor/engineer to open up the space and put huge ass carry beams in the ceiling to take the load that walls would have previously carried? There has to be some reason that this guy did some work on the place, probably in addition to Boob's usual minions. We know how Boob hates to pay people not related to him. This goes beyond their usual flip jobs. 

Also, wouldn't he have to have the building zoned as commercial, although the guy who made that FB post called it a house? If it's in a residential neighborhood, is this even possible? That said, if it couldn't be zoned to Boob's liking, he wouldn't have bought the property.

Will they give this about 6 months then move Jeremy and Ben in around mid-2017, ensuring yet another season of this shitfest of a show? Ben would still have another year of college to go. I imagine he will take off this coming spring semester, as he did when Spurge was born, but maybe could make it up in summer school? If he can't make it up, then he still has 3 semesters to go before he earns his degree in whatever he's studying, but that won't stop him from playing Youth Pastor at the Duggar non-denominational church. The Duggars haven't identified as Baptist in years, and never even identified as IFB like the Bateses. 

8 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Since his parents live there I just assumed. I could very well be wrong.

Jeremy's from the Philadelphia area. He moved to Texas (San Antonio) in 2014 to play soccer, quit, then moved to Laredo to plant this new church, which is an offshoot of the one he joined in San Antonio. 

So his dad is still a preacher in Philadelphia or did he move to Texas too? Reading on this forum I somehow got the idea that his dad was in Laredo as well.

...one of these days I will watch more than a few minutes of each episode. I'll need to imbibe a lot of alcohol to do it but I swear I will. For science!

• Love 4

His dad is in the Philly area. 

remember the episode where they went to NJ to meet his family?  We had all hoped for a Jersey wedding? or a NYC wedding?  We joked a crossover with the Real Housewives of NJ or Carlos Bakery?  :)

• Love 1

Churches are, indeed, supposed to stay out of politics in the US.

The ban on political campaign activity by charities and churches was created by Congress more than a half century ago. The Internal Revenue Service administers the tax laws written by Congress and has enforcement authority over tax-exempt organizations

Jeremy's parents were shown visiting Laredo.  However, as far as I can tell they have never lived there, but always lived in the Philadelphia/NJ areas and his father's current church seems to be in Maryland.

Jim Bob's family is currently attending another small IFB church. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, becca3891 said:

So, as best as I understand it, while you might receive a bonus for getting a new seller to sign on, it's not a scheme where you're taking another person's profits or having to give yours up.

There is always a cut going to the upline in multi-level marketing.  Many sellers aren't completely aware of how the system works or gloss over it to make themselves look better to others.  Most people in MLM schemes that I have known were doing great to hear them tell it until they were bailing out and losing money like crazy and just trying to dump stock.  I don't expect the Duggar friend(s) who are into it to fare any differently. 

I found the Jinger pregnancy speculation articles to be rather stomach churning and mostly fiction or based on nebulous fan speculation or Duggar history.  There seemed to be zero journalism involved. 

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I found the Jinger pregnancy speculation articles to be rather stomach churning and mostly fiction or based on nebulous fan speculation or Duggar history.  There seemed to be zero journalism involved. 

Me too. And you said it better than I would have. Thanks!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1