Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Sorry, not sorry, but that's a ghastly dress.

It is ugly, but ironically it did fit the event. She was at a tea party... finger sandwiches, little pastries, potted tea. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

It is ugly, but ironically it did fit the event. She was at a tea party... finger sandwiches, little pastries, potted tea. 

What is it with fundies and tea parties of late? Joy, Abbie, Katey, and Esther Bates recently attended one in which they gave each other potted plants. 

Abbie didn't look pregnant, btw. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What is it with fundies and tea parties of late? Joy, Abbie, Katey, and Esther Bates recently attended one in which they gave each other potted plants. 

Abbie didn't look pregnant, btw. 

Going to tea parties is a classy and feminine activity to them while fundie males would refuse to have anything to do with them.  Also, no alcohol.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Yes, and in one of the pictures, the lighter seen on the floor in the picture of Jinger is being used:

25362360-CD8C-420D-B952-978692EC2586.jpeg

4A448586-2B68-4089-A359-0FF607817DE4.jpeg

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Why is she sitting on what looks to be part of the curtains?

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Going to tea parties is a classy and feminine activity to them while fundie males would refuse to have anything to do with them.  Also, no alcohol.

Only as “classy”’as those who attend. And these hateful, judgmental women ain’t that, imo. 

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Yes, and in one of the pictures, the lighter seen on the floor in the picture of Jinger is being used:

25362360-CD8C-420D-B952-978692EC2586.jpeg

4A448586-2B68-4089-A359-0FF607817DE4.jpeg

Can you imagine the conversation between these holier than thou twats?

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if their holier than thou conversation is reserved for outsiders.  Maybe they have a totally different attitude when surrounded by their own.

I hope they’re not all dim, empty headed followers like Jinger.

• Love 4

I'd guess those women do this kind of 19th-century cosplay because their religion, their whole religious culture, their parents and their husbands all infantilize them. The rules they live by give them no agency ..... So for lack of any recognition of them as complete adults they go in for cosplay and fantasy like seven-year-old girls from the 1950s. 

Some may get a bit of agency -- in a part-time job or the like, for example -- by stealth or because theit husbands turn out to be irresponsible babies so they quietly-- and probably secretly, at least as relates to their church pals -- take over a lot of the agency within the family..

But the culture they perform in tells them they're required to be meek and that they're suited for no positions of power, influence and agency at all. So when they're all together posing for cameras -- and potentially audio -- in a situation like this, I'd bet you hear absolutely nothing but approved-by-their-massively-sexist-culture talk. 

Officially, they're infantilized....and placed somewhere back in a fantasy past that their infantilizers express "nostalgia" for. They're supposed to find this throwback activity fun, so they do. They don't have a lot of choices, especially when it comes to things they do in groups that are viewable to their coreligionists. 

I hate to see all these young people joining up for this damaging nonsense. Would like to think that patriarchy-friendly entertainments would be dying out. But I guess not. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I hope they’re not all dim, empty headed followers like Jinger.

Well, I assume this is a church-related group. And in that case, they have to be.

Or at least act as if they are whenever they're somewhere they can be seen Their church is deeply misogynistic and endlessly "nostalgic" for a men-first, ladies-be-quiet-and-wear-gloves past that never actually existed. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Zella said:

Why is she cosplaying Downton Abbey so much lately? First it was the hat that it looks like she stole from Violet then the tea party. 

I wonder if they have discovered Downton Abbey recently. It seems like it might be an approved option. Victorian social rules, especially gender roles, are rigidly enforced on that show. There's very little sex, and the limited sex outside of marriage has consequences: Ethel becomes destitute and is forced into prostitution; Edith is forced to give up her daughter and the fallout wreaks havoc on two families; the single gay character is a villain who is mercilessly maligned until he eventually attempts suicide. Plus, all the women wear skirts, and everything is lovely on the surface -- it couldn't be more fundie-friendly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Young women cosplaying period pieces is a trend lately.  On TV you have Bridgerton, Sandition, and the works of Julian Fellowes.  Cottage-core has been a thing on Instagram for a few years now and has gone mainstream.  Prairie dresses are everywhere.  A lot of young women took these last few years of isolation and just dove on into vintage lifestyles.  

Shondaland and Netflix are doing live events 

https://bridgertonexperience.com/los-angeles/

• Useful 5
  • Love 12

This is more a trendy thing than the culture of the church Jinger and Jeremy attend.  Working women wearing pants are a staple there.  While they may not have leadership roles in the church, they can and do outside the church.  This is not the Duggar IFB.  Having teas is considered a bit high brow in many circles.  In fact I have an invitation for one in LA next week completely unrelated to a church.  I will wear a dress, maybe but that's as close to Victorian as I'll be getting.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

I attended a tea party themed wedding shower in a tea party themed restaurant on the Jersey Shore a few years ago. It was quite nice and the the bride and bridesmaids were all college educated and nowhere near fundie. 

• Love 11
Just now, Dehumidifier said:

I attended a tea party themed wedding shower in a tea party themed restaurant on the Jersey Shore a few years ago. It was quite nice and the the bride and bridesmaids were all college educated and nowhere near fundie. 

My niece had a tea-party themed birthday party at a local tea room.  When she was 5.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

As someone else pointed out these are not IBLP women. I took a look at the social media of some of the women who were tagged and they did not seem dimwitted or holier than thou. The woman lighting the candle is a working model  married to a black minister who I think was invited to attend the seminary (that is what their social media implied).   One of the other women who was tagged is a musician and has recorded an album (christian music).  I don't think I have ever been to a tea party but I guess it is just a way to socialize, I would rather go to a cocktail party. I think the church is trying to infuse some life with younger people and less traditional roles. I wonder if they will regret it if/when some of the new blood starts questioning the teachings/leadership. It must be odd for Jinger to have non-family friends and to socialize from very different backgrounds. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

May I ask why she is your favorite?

Truth be told, Jinger, John David and Joseph are my favorites. Those three strike me as being easy going and kind. My instinct was confirmed when Michelle said that of all her kids, they gave her the least problems when they were growing up. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I assume what Michelle considers "least problematic child" is what someone else would call "most servile and submissive" child. 

That definitely describes Jinger.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Zella said:

I assume what Michelle considers "least problematic child" is what someone else would call "most servile and submissive" child. 

Or the "doesn't really give a shit & lets some of the other 367 kids be the drama llamas." child.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Flying under the radar in a sea of 19 kids is fairly easy. Don't forget Michelle was dealing with a finite number of behaviors (excluding Josh). So were JD, Jinger and Joe good at sharing? Did they complete their jurisdictions without bitching? Did they sit still in church? In other words did these kids not need a lot of attention?

But likely most importantly was there an obnoxious kid near them in birth order? JD had both Prince Josh and talkative Jana, Jinger had loud and bitchy Jessa and Joe had the flamboyant prankster Josiah. Its easy to see how JD, Jinger and Joe were labeled the easy ones.

• Useful 7
  • Love 7

I also wonder how much being an introvert would be a qualification to being considered "easy" in a family that large.  If you're quiet by nature, and you can't ever get a word in edgewise when you do want to talk, I can see withdrawing as the easy thing to do.  As an introvert myself and someone who treasures quiet times, I wonder if those characteristics are just sort of taken out of you if you have to share a house with 20+ people, or do the quieter of the bunch kind of go into hiding, find their own way to cope with the chaos, and are labeled "easy?"  It's interesting to me.

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Flying under the radar in a sea of 19 kids is fairly easy. Don't forget Michelle was dealing with a finite number of behaviors (excluding Josh). So were JD, Jinger and Joe good at sharing? Did they complete their jurisdictions without bitching? Did they sit still in church? In other words did these kids not need a lot of attention?

But likely most importantly was there an obnoxious kid near them in birth order? JD had both Prince Josh and talkative Jana, Jinger had loud and bitchy Jessa and Joe had the flamboyant prankster Josiah. Its easy to see how JD, Jinger and Joe were labeled the easy ones.

And where does Jill fit into all of that? She didn't strike me as flying under the radar, but she also didn't strike me as obnoxious either (other than maybe to Josh as he called her a tattletale).

See I suspect that Jill was good at sharing and completing her jurisdictions willingly. It's interesting that Michelle didn't out her as one of the "easy" ones.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, madpsych78 said:

And where does Jill fit into all of that? She didn't strike me as flying under the radar, but she also didn't strike me as obnoxious either (other than maybe to Josh as he called her a tattletale).

See I suspect that Jill was good at sharing and completing her jurisdictions willingly. It's interesting that Michelle didn't out her as one of the "easy" ones.

I'm guessing because Jill is a tad over emotional. She seems to cry easily and needs the comfort of others in seemingly benign situations.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

Or the "doesn't really give a shit & lets some of the other 367 kids be the drama llamas." child.

I wish there had been a couple of rebels in the 367.          

Unfortunately, I see nothing but an empty headed, superficial, dim, subservient shell of a person who doesn’t even really know what she feels or likes, outside of Jeremy. She claimed on one of SM profiles to love “ all things classical,” but does she really? Classical art, music, literature, languages? Does she spend any time learning about these? Lately Jeremy has stressed how much she loves to cook. I don’t believe that, either.   To my eyes, she’s shrinking, both in physical size and independent spirit.  Is she losing weight in order to unconsciously make herself even smaller (in all senses of the word)? 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I don't think the Jinger that sobbed because she was wearing pants and worried what her mother would think really matches someone not giving a shit. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think the Jinger that sobbed because she was wearing pants and worried what her mother would think really matches someone not giving a shit. 

To me that behavior showed how insecure and unsure she was.

• Love 11

For all her upbringing that her husband/headship could and would make decisions on every aspect of her life, Jinger still cried over what her mother would think about her waering pants when Jerm was clearly ok with it.

I wonder if Jinger thinks on that now and the drama of it all, maybe just for TeeVee, when Jana, Jessa, Jill wear pants all the time and even at the TTH (gasp) in the presence of the younger sisters, JB and Meech. Probably not.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

For all her upbringing that her husband/headship could and would make decisions on every aspect of her life, Jinger still cried over what her mother would think about her waering pants when Jerm was clearly ok with it.

I wonder if Jinger thinks on that now and the drama of it all, maybe just for TeeVee, when Jana, Jessa, Jill wear pants all the time and even at the TTH (gasp) in the presence of the younger sisters, JB and Meech. Probably not.

I don’t think she engages in much thinking or introspection.

• Love 7

No offense to Jinger, but she's the one who unironically said, "Jeremy loves books, so I love books!" I don't think we're dealing with a towering or independent intellect here. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
27 minutes ago, Zella said:

No offense to Jinger, but she's the one who unironically said, "Jeremy loves books, so I love books!" I don't think we're dealing with a towering or independent intellect here. 

Exactly my point. And I find it sad, because she doesn’t have to be a towering intellect to have her own interests in life. It just seems like she doesn’t even know who she is or what SHE likes.

As the wry Gertrude Stein said, “there is no there there.” 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 10

Husband loves cars and anything mechanical. He loves cutting grass and planting gardens and working outside. He loves painting rooms. He loves watching home improvement-type shows. Me? Not so much. I love cooking and baking. Him? Nope. And yet here we are... married 35 years in June.

• Love 13