Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Winds of Winter

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was very sweet but I also loved the awkward way she pinned it on him like a prom corsage. She's usually very strong and bold so it was nice to see her a little nervous/unsure when she told him that she wasn't sure if it looked exactly right. So is a Hand of the Queen pin the Westeros equivalent of a going steady ring? Jewelry means commitment!

I'd ship it.

10 minutes ago, izabella said:

If Dany tests Jon with fire, he will burn to death.  I recall that his hands burned when he flung a lit lantern at a zombie that was trying to kill him...or trying to kill Mormont, can't remember who the zombie was after.  So Jon may be half Targ, but he is not Jon the Unburnt.

Well, that was before Jon was re-born in the light of a fire god. We were speculating last week whether there was a power keeping him alive now. Or the dragons could just refuse to harm him as suggested above.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think people will take away what they want to think regarding Tommen's suicide. I believe it was a little more sinister than him simply jumping to his death because he knew that the only women he ever had sex with died in the explosion. Tommen is still a teenager and was completely entrapped by Margaery by using her sexual wiles on him. The only revenge he could extract for the murder of Margaery and the High Sparrow was to murder Cersei, Not only was Tommen not ruthless enough to rule the Iron Throne, he had aligned himself with the Faith and definitely not strong enough to murder his own mother who he realized had committed the ultimate betrayal towards him. It's interesting is a small way how Tommen simply fell forward to his death rather than leap from the edge of the window. Almost like a resignation rather than an act of anger.

Cersei was devious enough to know this and it was precisely for this end that she forced Tommen to remain in his quarters where he had an exceptionally good view of the Great Sept Of Baelor. It wasn't to save him, it was to force this decision to kill himself that Cersei wanted since she couldn't actually kill him herself, she made it his choice. If nothing else, Cersei knew all three of her children well. Cersei was a mother that was willing to sacrifice her own children to attain her goal. No doubt she will sacrifice Jamie as well, he's the only person left alive that she has any feeling for.

1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

I don't understand why people say Jon's "not really" a Stark. Both lines of descent matter in Westeros -- mother and father. 

He's Lyanna Stark's son, so he is a Stark, and his father was a Targaryen, so he has a strong claim to both the North (through his mother) and to the Iron Throne. Bran has a stronger claim to the North as the son of a Stark male, and perhaps Sansa as the daughter of a Stark male. The thing is that I don't think either of them want to rule the North. Sansa seems to feel Jon is the better choice of ruler, and I guess we'll see how Bran feels next season but something tells me he will realize he has no experience for that particular job and his talents obviously lie elsewhere.

The Prince Rhaegar and Lyanna = Jon Snow theory is pretty much confirmed, and Jon Snow is indeed the Prince who was promised, quite literally, thanks to Ned keeping his word to raise Jon as his bastard son. What does Jon's legitimacy as a Stark matter, if his true father is a Targaryen?  It's possible that Jon boasts the best claim to becoming the King of Westeros and sit on the Iron throne. When Jon left Winterfell, he proclaimed Sansa as the true heir and ruler. Winterfell is the seat of House Stark so Sansa, Arya and Bran (if he ever gets back there) are the rightful heirs.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, insubordination said:

The only thing that really annoys me is that I'm not sure how Cersei's murder scene is gonna satisfy me (and it'd better be coming!). There are so many contenders. Arya?  Olenna? Jamie? Tyrion?  (to name just a few).

[Edited because wrong thread for this] Jamie has made it clear he will not tolerate the loss of innocent lives due to wildfire.  He killed a king just for the threat of it.  Now his sister has actually done it.  My speculation is Jamie will kill her, then commit suicide.

ETA: No, wait. One other scenario. Arya wears Jamie's face and kills Cersei, then Jamie finds her and kills himself. Oooooo...

Edited by LadyArcadia
  • Love 5

WOW!!!! I'm still trying to catch my breath!! Now THAT should hold me until 2017!!

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant ending!! As satisfying as a great meal and excellent bottle of red. 

I was so happy to see many of those on my own personal hit list, get theirs. Among them were:

The High Sparrow: Man! He blowed up real good!! Bye bye you fanatic psycho! It will be good not to see you in your dirty burlap sack and what? Were shoes against your religion? Too bad about poor Margarey and her brother though. Collateral damage works like that.

Walder Frey: Hey Walder! Would you like fries with that? Maybe some ketchup? That was an amazing scene!! Did NOT see that one coming at all! Nice to see Arya crossing things off her to do list. If a girl becomes an assassin.......

Tommen: Poor dumb, exploited Tommen. He had to go. He had drunk the Kool Aid and became as crazy as the Sparrow. Nice swan dive and as another poster commented - he did look just like Nucky's butler in Boardwalk!!

There were so many incredible moments. I know for sure I am going to rewatch this tonight because I find with this show, in repeated viewings I always catch things I missed the first time around. 

Loved Lady Olenna putting the Sand Snakes in line. Diana Rigg is a treasure! I remember crushing on her way back in her Avenger days. It looks like Emma Peel is back! And speaking of badass women, Lady Mormont was in fine form. I hope she comes back next season.

Now I'm really going to go out on a limb here and risk the pitchforks when I say that a part of me liked what Cersei did (yeah...I know Tommen was her son but really...he had to go) and Lena Headey is one incredible talent. She just owns this character and has made her a woman that I can find empathy for and here's why:

She was given to Robert Baratheon, a crude, cold brute, to be "brought out and ridden like a prize pony." Okay...there is that whole incest thing but look at her alternative. Say what you will about her but she is SMART. She is intelligent and clever and in those days, a women wasn't allowed to be either. She was constantly shut down by her father who would never allow her to speak much less express an opinion or idea, even if it made sense. Her only remaining child had become the puppet of a religious zealot who imprisoned her, treated her like dirt, shaved her head and paraded her naked in front of a crowd of jeering people so yes, I get the revenge motive entirely. And I was glad to see that heartless bitch Unella on the receiving end of some abuse, which she hasn't even begun to see the worst of, once the Mountain finishes with her!

I know Cersei will not sit long on the Iron Throne but did she ever look awesome in that cool dress! And yes, the costumes - which are always so incredibly beautiful - looked especially fantastic last night. You could have gone to the Met Gala, girl!

Dany making Tyrion her hand was pure magic as was the scene showing her on her ship, the wind blowing in her hair, looking so proud and majestic. 

The only thing I'd change? It would have been two hours. Now THAT would have really been brilliant!!!

• Love 9
(edited)

I was sure Septa Unella would die this season. I was wrong; she only WISHES she were dead. I don't know what the Zombie Mountain was doing to her -- he was up by her head/upper torso -- and I don't want to know. There are so many unpleasant possibilities.

Why did Cersei take out Pycelle? Just because she hated the old coot?

I was hoping we'd see Brienne again. Sansa should send her to Dany to negotiate an alliance, because Dany has the 3 best weapons ever for fighting the Army of the Dead.

Speaking of which, have Jon and Co been REALLY REALLY clear with the other Northern lords about the White Walkers? We saw that Lady Mormont has the 411 but otherwise the talk seems...unnecessarily vague.

Yeah, the transportation and communication networks seem...spotty in their performance. The Maesters in Oldtown didn't know that Jeor Mormont and Maester Aemon were dead and that happened a long time ago, while Olenna knows about the deaths at the Sept and that JUST happened -- as in the smoke is still rising from the ruins. And as others have noted, Varys zoomed from Dorne to Meereen, but there were Dornish ships visible in that fleet, right?

Arya's revenge on the Freys was almost exactly as I imagined it would be. It would be even better if she takes Walder Frey's face and becomes him and wreaks even more havoc from inside, but that's probably a bit too much. Did she kill that serving maid to take the face or did she grab a few in the Hall of Faces?

So...Howland Reed -- Meera's father -- has to be the only other person who has a chance of knowing that Jon is Lyanna's son, because he was the only other person alive to see it -- he would have seen Ned go up the stairs to the Tower alone and then come down with a baby...who then "becomes" Ned's bastard. Of course, we don't know what became of the lady's maid/midwife that was in the room...kind of hard to believe that woman would have kept the secret all these years.

Sorry about poor ol' Tommen but he was too dim to live. What did he THINK was going to happen to HIM if his mother was convicted of incest? The trial's outcome was likely going to reveal that Tommen was not the true-born king and his reign would have been over.

Edited by annsterg
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

Cersei was devious enough to know this and it was precisely for this end that she forced Tommen to remain in his quarters where he had an exceptionally good view of the Great Sept Of Baelor. It wasn't to save him, it was to force this decision to kill himself that Cersei wanted since she couldn't actually kill him herself, she made it his choice. If nothing else, Cersei knew all three of her children well. Cersei was a mother that was willing to sacrifice her own children to attain her goal. No doubt she will sacrifice Jamie as well, he's the only person left alive that she has any feeling for.

As much as I like this interpretation, the supervising producer & writer said that Tommen's death was not planned.  FF to 5:14

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

Err, ok, Jon was just too honorable to kill someone who brought him back.  He owed her his live so he spared hers, debt paid.  

Arya does not have that same arrangement with Mel, though :)

correct, I would just say he knew he was in her debt, I think his honor is going to be tested and also less used, as it did almost get him and the North wiped out.

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

The discovery that Ayra was the servant girl eyeing Jaime flirtatiously makes me wonder if her plan is the kill Jaime to steal his face to get close enough to Cersei to kill her.  That's one way to get around The Mountain protecting Cersei.  If Jaime hopefully rejects Cersei because of her actions and how they impacted Tommen than Arya would have to come up with a different scheme.  Jaime has always believed that Cersei's ruthlessness was for her children's sake but never recognized power was her real goal.  She wasn't allowed to rule because she was a woman and intended to rule through her children.  She did not raise them to be rulers but to be lead.  She may have loved them but her children were tools for her to use to attain the power she felt she was entitled to.  Now she has the throne for herself, and I hope Jaime sees her for what she is and joins her opponents to bring her down.   Jaime is no saint but he has found he is capable of honor. 

So Cersei's prophecy was that all of her children would die before her and at that she would be queen but only temporarily because another younger and more beautiful queen would destroy her.  I think Cersei mistakenly believed Margery was that queen, but it is actually Dany that's going to be Cersei's doom.  Has Cersei given herself up to the prophecy or does she think she can still beat it despite other parts of it coming true?  She has a kingdom where she is despised, no money, no more allies in other houses, and probably soon no food.  She will attempt to maintain control by fear but that can only last so long before the people rebel.   Starving people have nothing to lose.   Although from Cersei's point of view she has nothing to lose at this point either which makes her more dangerous.

I was so sad for Margery.  She was one of the smart ones and died anyway.   I hope Oleanna gets her vengeance.

Jon and Sansa could be a great team.  She may be better at the political side of things while Jon is the seasoned warrior who can inspire others to follow him.  Jon also is great at seeing the bigger picture and getting what the real threat is.  Will Sansa work with Jon to handle the threat from Little Finger or will she act on her own to eliminate the threat?  What happens to Littlefinger's power base if Robin marries and his wife takes control since Robin isn't competent to lead?   Still, I don't know if Sansa would be willing to leave Winterfell at this point after all she has been through to get back to it.

Hmm, Arya's kill list is going to keep her busy and thus delay her getting back to Winterfell. There's a lot of people gunning for Cersei, so she might not have to go to King's Landing and could just head for the Brothers without Banners. It would be wonderful if Gendry were to reappear and thereby nullify the need for her to continue killing so that she could just go home.

Poor Margery. Once you commence to playing the game of thrones, you win or you die.

I see Jon and Sansa as a team. She reminded me of Dorothy when she was talking about how she used to wish to be anywhere but Winterfell, but now knows that there's no place like home. I think it's hard for her to decide on exactly how much to tell Jon about Littlefinger. She told him that she doesn't trust Littlefinger, but I think she didn't go into detail about the depth of his duplicity because Jon has bigger things to worry about such as ice zombies destroying mankind.

It'll be an interesting as to how Sansa engineers Littlefinger's demise because she probably won't straight out kill him by her own hand like Arya would. He might do a bit of damage before he's gone, but she will end him.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No, Jaime never made it onto her list.

ETA: Arya's list:

Joffrey (killed by Lady Olenna/Littlefinger)
Cersei
Walder Frey (killed by Arya)
Meryn Trant (killed by Arya)
Tywin Lannister (killed by Tyrion)
The Red Woman
Beric Dondarrion (killed six times but resurrected by Thoros)
Thoros of Myr
Ilyn Payne
The Mountain (killed by Oberyn Martell but resurrected by Qyburn)
The Hound
The Tickler (killed by Jaqen H'gher at Arya's request)
Polliver (killed by Arya)

The Hound is no longer on her list.

10 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Question time: if the dead cannot pass the wall due to its strong magic, then how the heck did an ice zombie get to Commander Mormont's chamber in season 2 ????

The men of the Night's Watch brought them in when they thought they were just weird, odorless corpses. I think the wights were basically playing possum in a Trojan corpse type operation. The magic must not protect against the NWmen bringing corpses behind enemy lines, and I guess Benjen now considers himself more corpse than brother of the Night's Watch now.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dmc said:

His suicide was the only weak part of the episode for me.  I have never understood Tommen or his motivations this season.  First he told Jaime he wanted to protect his mother/then I guess he changed his mind.  Also, I never got the sense that Tommen loved Margeary (sp).  Mainly because they haven't really spent that much time together.  Also those innocent people were keeping his wife captive for months???? So how innocent were there?

"His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real"  This is the only thing that makes sense.

She was his first and the only girl/woman he's ever had, he crushed on her heavily.

It's Marge who was playing him.

You never forget your first, Tommen wasn't Marg's first. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

She was his first and the only girl/woman he's ever had, he crushed on her heavily.

It's Marge who was playing him.

You never forget your first, Tommen wasn't Marg's first. 

I am going to have to go back and revisit those scenes.

I don't know exactly where this comment belongs, but it drives me insane that one of the showrunners pronounces Cersei as "ser-SAY".  

And while I'm not sad to see Natalie Dormer go (I have irrational, non-Thrones related issues with her), I was really disappointed that Margaery didn't seem to have more of a plan to take down the Sparrow.  I thought that's where they were leading us this whole time.

But that's just a small nitpick in an otherwise freaking awesome finale.  Dany & Co. looking all badass on the ship with the dragons flying overhead was everything.

Another thing that made me go "wow" in a good way was Cersei's outfit. Some of the costumes got some criticisms this season like Sam's mom and sister for being too "cheap looking" and  "Disneyland" but Cersei's dark dress with shoulder armor and chain was awesome.

• Love 4

I will only add how much I loved this season! This show is simply brilliant and maybe my favorite of all time. I delayed watching last nights finale as long as I could because I did not want it to end. Now comes the year long wait of the new season... Those who criticize I think must be very young or have short memories... I remember shows like Land of the Giants and Lost in Space and even more recent fantasy shows like Xena ... nothing comes close.

Seriously, it is hard to even find a comparison because there has never been a show of this caliber in this genre before. I'm just grateful to the producers and all involved that have made it happen! 

• Love 5

About Lyanna Mormont. She's the head of the house of Mormont on Bear Island. Jorah Mormont is her first cousin since Jorah's father and Lyanna's mother were brother and sister. Her mother, Maege Mormont was Lady of Bear Island. When Maege left to fight in the War of the Five Kings, Lyanna ruled Bear Island in her mother's stead, eventually taking Maege's place upon her death.

The actress that plays the 10 year old 'badass' Lyanna Mormont has garnered immense praise from the Executive Producer, directors, writers and cast members as being an absolutely brilliant and consummate actress for such a young girl. Her name is Bella Ramsey.

The one thing I haven't been able to find out searching online is why Lyanna Mormont was named specifically for Lyanna Stark? What was the connection between the Mormonts and the Starks, specifically Lyanna Stark?

When Sansa suggests she might someday become a “great beauty,” her response to the pleasantry is blunt: “I doubt it. My mother wasn’t a great beauty or any other kind of beauty. She was a great warrior though.” Lyanna apparently has no time for chit-chat in times of war. “I think we’ve had enough small talk,” she declares. “Why are you here?”

smalltalk.gif

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Could he be Jon the Unfrozen? Not before but possibly now that he's back from the dead? Ice and Fire. 

King Jon, the Bastard of Resurrection.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GrailKing said:

Err, ok, Jon was just too honorable to kill someone who brought him back.  He owed her his live so he spared hers, debt paid.  

My guess was that Jon wasn't sure of the wisdom of killing someone who has the power to bring him back to life.  Whether he appreciates her ability to do that or not, it's some powerful magic for sure, so messing with that might not be a good idea. 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Dobian said:

I was sorry to see Margaery and Loras go, especially Margaery.

They shouldn't have died like that, alongside the hated High Sparrow.  Also, The High Sparrow died to quick considering the explosion was right under him.  Just instantly obliterated without pain or suffering.  After all he did, he should have been hung, drawn, and quartered.

But at least Sister Unella got some semblance of a just punishment.  There's that.

Edited by bmoore4026
'cause it's Unella not Oona
  • Love 2

Now that Cersei 9/11'd the Great Sept and everyone in it, she has certainly cemented herself as the number one uber villain of the series.  She'll eventually get hers, but how she gets it and by whom will be the most interesting.  My suspicion is that it will be by Jaime's hand.  The two of them are entwined together, and I think their fates will be entwined in a Shakespearean tragedy sort of way.

As to who will be the ultimate winners in this story, I think at least one of the big players has to lose among Dany, Jon, and Sansa.  There is only one Iron Throne, after all.

(edited)
26 minutes ago, slf said:

I would have to disagree entirely that Cersei is intelligent and clever

If I could give your comment a 100 hearts I would. Cersei is the dumbest person on the show. She never listens or accepts guidance because basically she is a 2 year old who must have what she wants when she wants it all the time.

IMO, only misogynists get any satisfaction or glee over Unella being raped over and over. Truthfully, until I read it here I didn't realize that is what Gregor was doing. I thought he was torturing her which was bad enough.

I cannot wait for Daenerys to arrive and bring justice onto Cersei. 

ETA: I look forward Drogon ripping Gregor in two. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Lady Mormont rocks! I love her! She has true grit.

So glad to see Sansa get her revenge on Fray. The Fray boys! It's what's for dinner! Straight out of "Titus Andronicus."

Cersei never thinks things through does she? Even though she hated Margaery, she should have kept her at the keep for Tommen's sake. Loved Lady Oleanna shutting up those Sand Snakes.

Nah. Margaery had to die because no way would she have stood for Cersei killing her father and brother in the Sept.  That shit was gangsta.  I have to wonder what happened to the Tyrell army. Were they outside the perimeter of the Sept or did they die along with the family?  And what other noble families were there to witness the trial shenanigans and got wiped out?  Any other Lannisters left since Kevan and Lancel are no more? So many questions! 

(edited)
2 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

She was given to Robert Baratheon, a crude, cold brute, to be "brought out and ridden like a prize pony." Okay...there is that whole incest thing but look at her alternative. Say what you will about her but she is SMART. She is intelligent and clever and in those days, a women wasn't allowed to be either. She was constantly shut down by her father who would never allow her to speak much less express an opinion or idea, even if it made sense. Her only remaining child had become the puppet of a religious zealot who imprisoned her, treated her like dirt, shaved her head and paraded her naked in front of a crowd of jeering people so yes, I get the revenge motive entirely. And I was glad to see that heartless bitch Unella on the receiving end of some abuse, which she hasn't even begun to see the worst of, once the Mountain finishes with her!

Lots of people have shitty parents, shitty husbands and shitty children, but they don't become mass murderers so I can't get on the Cersei love train.

And BTW, it was Cersei's fault the Sparrows came to power in the first place. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

The actress that plays the 10 year old 'badass' Lyanna Mormont has garnered immense praise from the Executive Producer, directors, writers and cast members as being an absolutely brilliant and consummate actress for such a young girl. Her name is Bella Ramsey.

I hope that we get to see more of Lyanna next season.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Any other Lannisters left since Kevan and Lancel are no more? So many questions! 

There should be oodles of Lannisters left, they have a large extended family. It's just that the main line is reduced to Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion.

And just in case anyone missed Sansa's reaction before she spotted Littlefinger.
tumblr_o9es4sEAH31seynswo2_540.jpg

• Love 4
2 hours ago, dramachick said:

The discovery that Ayra was the servant girl eyeing Jaime flirtatiously makes me wonder if her plan is the kill Jaime to steal his face to get close enough to Cersei to kill her.

Truly a great final episode in a truly great season. The writers, cast,and cinematographers have set a very high bar for cable tv. 

Cersei: 'I love the smell of wildfire in the morning. That smell, that gasoline smell.......it smells like.........victory."

And who were all those little birds of Qyburn (Children of The Corn?)? 

So. he doesn't know it, but John's a Stark and a Baratheon and actually could marry his first cousin, but why waste the plot line on romance at this point. When can Bran reveal this to all?

So Arya grabbed a many-faced changing kit on the way out the door?!!  How cool is that. She will be the one to deal with Cersei. And what about Gregor Clegan?  Who else is left on her list?

Will Brienne and Jaime face off again - and as what?

Jeez, it will be a long wait till season 7.....maybe I'll just rewatch the first 6 until then.

25 minutes ago, slf said:

Also, I can't cheer with you when it comes to Unella getting raped repeatedly. One of the points of Cersei's walk of shame is that she's being punished for the wrong reasons, she's being punished for being a woman. It's misogyny. We weren't meant to cheer during Cersei's walk; if you aren't a misogynist then there's no good reason for misogyny. Cersei's walk was unjust. And I can't get all ecstatic about a woman getting raped by Gregor Clegane's animated corpse. It's just beyond the pale.

Yes, because what Cersei did to Unella was just as misogynist as what was done to Cersei.  I mean you can't call yourself a feminist and have your un-dead soldier rape a woman who can't defend herself. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, dramachick said:

The discovery that Ayra was the servant girl eyeing Jaime flirtatiously makes me wonder if her plan is the kill Jaime to steal his face to get close enough to Cersei to kill her. 

My thought exactly.

And what a king's landing Tomen made.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, izabella said:

My guess was that Jon wasn't sure of the wisdom of killing someone who has the power to bring him back to life.  Whether he appreciates her ability to do that or not, it's some powerful magic for sure, so messing with that might not be a good idea. 

And truly, I think that banishment may be a fate worse than death for Melissendre.  In death, she could be some martyr....or, she could just be done living (since she apparently has lived for a long, long time).

But you could tell she really, really, really wanted to be a part of whatever Jon does, because he is the chosen one.  And just when its getting good, and almost as soon as she discovered who the real "chosen one" was.....she has been sent away.

I wonder if she'll run into Stannis again.  With this show, unless I see someone dying......I question their death (although I'm pretty sure Blackfish is dead)

• Love 2

And who were all those little birds of Qyburn (Children of The Corn?)? 

From what I recall from a previous ep they were originally Varys' "little birds" who were left behind when he moved on to Essos.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Lots of people have shitty parents, shitty husbands and shitty children, but they don't become mass murderers so I can't get on the Cersei love train.

Yeah, that's one of the points of Cersei that people don't appreciate: she's not subverting patriarchy, she's utilizing it, inflicting it on her enemies. She's surrounded by female victims of abuse, rape survivors, women who were abducted as children, women who are mentally/physically disabled and are exploited for it- and what does she do? Abuse them more. And she chooses to. She's suffered and I feel horribly for her; she didn't deserve to be bartered to Robert Baratheon, to be raped by him, to be forced to walk. She was victimized terribly. But she's still perfectly capable of making good choices. She just doesn't want to. Because ever since she was a child Cersei was greedy, vain, and power hungry. She was born to one of the most powerful and ruthless families in the Seven Kingdoms. As a child she had more social power than most adults in all of Westeros and there are several instances where she didn't hesitate to use that against people (the show has featured a few of these). She wasn't a good person corrupted by evil; she was born with a bone-deep sense of entitlement and a knack for cruelty. And all the abuse she's suffered has just sharpened her viciousness like a sword on a wet stone. Cersei has always been for Cersei.

• Love 16

I question the death of the Blackfish after someone's comment to Jamie, I think, where they basically said the Blackfish was taken down by some scrub?

I mean, no body means no death in this world.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dmc said:

His suicide was the only weak part of the episode for me.  I have never understood Tommen or his motivations this season.  First he told Jaime he wanted to protect his mother/then I guess he changed his mind.  Also, I never got the sense that Tommen loved Margeary (sp).  Mainly because they haven't really spent that much time together.  Also those innocent people were keeping his wife captive for months???? So how innocent were there?

"His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real"  This is the only thing that makes sense.

Tommen was infatuated with Margaery and loved sex, which she used to her benefit in the 5th season and began manipulating him via sex and putting in his mind that his mother would always see him as a boy and never a man. He loved his mother, but once Margery converted him to the faith, he was devout and believed that Cersei should atone for her sins. Everything that happened with the Faith in his mind was them just doing what they were supposed to do according to the religion. He had no true motivation, but rather, was used as a source of manipulation by three parties: Margery, Cersei, and the High Septon.

2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I don't know exactly where this comment belongs, but it drives me insane that one of the showrunners pronounces Cersei as "ser-SAY".  

And while I'm not sad to see Natalie Dormer go (I have irrational, non-Thrones related issues with her), I was really disappointed that Margaery didn't seem to have more of a plan to take down the Sparrow.  I thought that's where they were leading us this whole time.

But that's just a small nitpick in an otherwise freaking awesome finale.  Dany & Co. looking all badass on the ship with the dragons flying overhead was everything.

Her plan was the long con to getting the hell out of KL, which she was going to accomplish by getting her brother out of jail first. 

• Love 5

Jon is a Targaryan and is an heir to the Iron Throne, but, and this is imortant, he doesn't want the Iron Throne. He doesn't really want to be King of the North, either; he was perfectly content to support Sansa in that role, or as the "Lady of Winterfell".  He didn't expect, nor did I, for there to be another hailing of the "King of the North"; he was just trying to rally support for House Stark.  Events have overtaken him. (Will the other northern houses support him when they learn his Stark blood is on his mother's, not his father's, side?)

Has Arya flitted all through the Frey castle (can't remember what it's called) and silently eliminated all of the Freys? (It would only be fitting.) If she did free Edmure I hope she also got his son and his wife (If that's what he wanted.)  She got there so fast because Bravos is much further west than Mereen; it is called the Narrow Sea, after all.

Lady Olenna doesn't care about the Iron Throne; she just wants vengeance. The Martells probably would like the Throne.

The Ironborn can serve as explorers of the unknown seas west of Westeros and East of Essos; should be plenty of adventures there.

Daenarys is going to "break the wheel"; I think she is going to break the Iron Throne.

In Season 1 when Dany received her dragon eggs as wedding gifts because they were 'rare and valuable", no one ever said that they were the only ones in existence; they may be others.  Maybe more than 3 dragons will be needed. I think the dragons will certainly be able to melt the Wall. If the White Walkers are totally destroyed will the dragons die as well, to keep the balance?

I wonder who Jon and Dany will have to marry; in their positions sometimes you have to do what you have to, whether you like it or not.

• Love 2

I think Cersei's horrible nature was there all along-remember the story of her twisting baby Tyrion's penis when he was an infant? Jaime stopped her-Tyrion's screams had no effect. Ugh.

I left the room when the Mountain was left with Unella. I have trouble watching torture even for characters I despise. I assumed he was going to poke her eyes out or something.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

@RCharter Brienne confirmed killing Stannis.

She said she killed Stannis, that doesn't mean it actually happened.

Six seasons of this show should be enough to demonstrate that anyone can say anything, and until you see a body or the death happening its all fair game.

Edited by RCharter
Just now, RCharter said:

She said she killed Stannis, that doesn't mean it actually happened.

I could see the others lying about it, but why would Brienne?

She has a one track mind: serve whoever she swore herself to and take care of whoever has wronged those who she has sworn herself to. I'm not going to say she never lies, but she's brutally honest and I don't think she'd lie about killing him.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

She has a one track mind: serve whoever she swore herself to and take care of whoever has wronged those who she has sworn herself to. I'm not going to say she never lies, but she's brutally honest and I don't think she'd lie about killing him.

Because she wanted to stick it to Melissendre, because she wanted to stick it to Davos.  Because she came to some agreement with Stannis that the audience wasn't privy to.  

And those are three reasons just off the top of my head.

Edited by RCharter

Say what you will about her but she is SMART. She is intelligent and clever and in those days, a women wasn't allowed to be either.

That describes Olenna and Margaery, but not Cersei. She's shortsighted to a fault. She'll achieve short-term victories, only to have them blow up in her face, which her newly minted reign certainly will.

She was constantly shut down by her father who would never allow her to speak much less express an opinion or idea, even if it made sense.

Tywin knows her and called her out on not being nearly as clever as she thinks she is. She complained that Margaery was controlling Joffrey, which was something that she wasn't able to do, and Tywin didn't have a problem with that. As awful as he treated Tyrion, Tywin knew if he wanted things to run smoothly, Tyrion was the only child competent enough to handle the job. Cersei just whined that the Tyrells were becoming too powerful and influential and her "power is power" and blowing up the Sept just tells us she's as subtle as a hammer and would rather obliterate everything then weigh her options and make alliances which is what makes a person in her position successful. All you have to do is look at when Tywin and Arya at Harrenhall. Tywin appreciated how smart Arya was (and said she might be too smart for her own good), but he actually respected her more than his generals because she was competent at what she did, which Cersei remotely is not.

3 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

Her only remaining child had become the puppet of a religious zealot who imprisoned her, treated her like dirt, shaved her head and paraded her naked in front of a crowd of jeering people so yes, I get the revenge motive entirely.

A religious zealot that was only in power because Cersei put him there. She was so unnerved that her son could be dependent on a woman that wasn't her, in order to bring down the Tyrells, she set in motion her own (temporary) downfall.

Lena Headey is amazingly brilliant in the role, but Cersei Lannister is fucking stupid, causes quite a lot of her own problems, and I can't wait for her to finally get a comeuppance that sticks.

• Love 17
11 minutes ago, slf said:

Yeah, that's one of the points of Cersei that people don't appreciate: she's not subverting patriarchy, she's utilizing it, inflicting it on her enemies. She's surrounded by female victims of abuse, rape survivors, women who were abducted as children, women who are mentally/physically disabled and are exploited for it- and what does she do? Abuse them more. And she chooses to. She's suffered and I feel horribly for her; she didn't deserve to be bartered to Robert Baratheon, to be raped by him, to be forced to walk. She was victimized terribly. But she's still perfectly capable of making good choices. She just doesn't want to. Because ever since she was a child Cersei was greedy, vain, and power hungry. She was born to one of the most powerful and ruthless families in the Seven Kingdoms. As a child she had more social power than most adults in all of Westeros and there are several instances where she didn't hesitate to use that against people (the show has featured a few of these). She wasn't a good person corrupted by evil; she was born with a bone-deep sense of entitlement and a knack for cruelty. And all the abuse she's suffered has just sharpened her viciousness like a sword on a wet stone. Cersei has always been for Cersei.

Insightful and on target. I appreciate Daenerys even more when I look at Cersei. Daenerys grew up in the exact same situation. Remember Viserys touching naked Daenerys before selling her off to Drogo. Daenerys could have embraced her entitlement and become cruel and bitter like Cersei, but  she instead choose to feel compassion for others who were similarly exploited and brutalized like she was by the men in her life.  

• Love 16
3 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

Say what you will about her but she is SMART. She is intelligent and clever

Do you have any examples of Cersei being smart because I'm struggling to think of any.  In Season 3, she found out about the Tyrell plot to marry Sansa to Loras, but that was more of a paranoid busted clock being right twice a day.  She's sitting on the Iron Throne for now, but she'll find out soon enough that a queen without allies is a queen without power.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Nanrad said:

Add to that Brienne has honor. I never imagine her lying about killing Stannis.

• Love 7

Cersei isn't smart, intelligent or clever.  The only reason she's sitting on the Iron Throne is because someone else told her about the wildfires or bombs or whatever, underneath Kings Landing.  She didn't know about them.  Another person might not have told her at all, and then set the thing off in the middle of the trial, killing everybody, Cersei included. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Yes, because what Cersei did to Unella was just as misogynist as what was done to Cersei.  I mean you can't call yourself a feminist and have your un-dead soldier rape a woman who can't defend herself. 

Except Cersei is not a feminist (is there such a thing in Westeros?), she is a Cersei-ist.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, RCharter said:

Because she wanted to stick it to Melissendre, because she wanted to stick it to Davos.  Because she came to some agreement with Stannis that the audience wasn't privy to.  

And those are three reasons just off the top of my head.

4 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Add to that Brienne has honor. I never imagine her lying about killing Stannis.

What could Stannis have possibly worked out with Brienne that was to her liking? Also, as Simones mentioned, Brienne is an honorable person. Ned only lied three times that we know of: How Arthur Dayne died, Jon being a bastard, and lying for his kids that led to his death. All of those circumstances are very understandable. I compare her to Ned because they both are known for their honor and take it seriously. So,Stannis would have to give her an offer she couldn't refuse.

I also don't image that she'd lie about Melissandre and Davos to stick it to them. Brienne killed Stannis because of what Stannis did to Renley, which was kill him. Brienne took his death hard for several reasons, but considering who was killed and how his death still has an impact on her, I just don't think she'd lie about Stannis' death to fuck with them.

• Love 7