Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Winds of Winter

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Tyro49 said:

What I don't understand is why the High Sparrow &  co. Would not let anyone leave the trial. Surely it doesn't matter who's in the audience.? He looked like he was just standing there waiting for something to happen.

I could be wrong but I read it to be him fearing a loss of power and control. He got the majority of royalty and the upper class in KL (and beyond) to bend knee to his will. He'd put this grand trial together, everyone was set to attend and he was about to judge Cersei before everyone. Her trial, a priest trying a former queen, would have been his biggest...win to date. Then, all of this sudden, his plans go awry when she doesn't show. Fine, he'll have the trial without her, no big. But then those in attendance listen to Margaery over him when she tells them to leave. His plans really run off the rails when people try to leave. He's lost complete control at that point. Once that happens in the scene he begins looking around in disbelief, hesitant and uncertain what to do or how to regain the upper hand. 

He's a bit like a child wanting to take his ball and go home - by not letting them leave - as he looks left and right and refuses to let anyone leave while everyone else pretty much puts him on ignore in order to leave. If Cersei has finally outmaneuvers him, and Margaery gains control of the crowd and they then all leave? His power dwindles fast. Why should anyone else subject themselves to his madness? 

• Love 14
(edited)
10 minutes ago, dmc said:

So many thoughts???

First, why Tommen kill himself?

Why is Arya sending flirtatious looks Jaime's way?

I think he believed that his mother was evil (true) and that she had killed many, many innocent people including his own wife, the only woman he had loved and could trust (not really true but he still believed she actually loved him). His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real and so he was devastated by its destruction. He knew his evil mother and her minions would now control him and he had no trust in her, thinking that she would use his position as King to do evil through him, so what was there to live for?

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 9

Daenerys presenting Tyrion with the Hand sigil/brooch made a bit teary - great scene.

It was very sweet but I also loved the awkward way she pinned it on him like a prom corsage. She's usually very strong and bold so it was nice to see her a little nervous/unsure when she told him that she wasn't sure if it looked exactly right. So is a Hand of the Queen pin the Westeros equivalent of a going steady ring? Jewelry means commitment!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apparently humans can use Varys's transporter but the ravens cannot because how the hell did the Citadel not know that Mormont and Targareyen were dead and there was a new Lord Commander* at the Night's Watch?  It's been months, at least, if not years.

*Two, actually.

It just happened that the ravens sent from the Wall were all FEMALE :D :D :D 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was very sweet but I also loved the awkward way she pinned it on him like a prom corsage. She's usually very strong and bold so it was nice to see her a little nervous/unsure when she told him that she wasn't sure if it looked exactly right. So is a Hand of the Queen pin the Westeros equivalent of a going steady ring? Jewelry means commitment!

Yup.  This is a sign of commitment and vulnerability from Daenerys.  She doesn't usually tell people she trusts them, and giving that broache was just that: a symbol of her trust in Tyrion.  It was a very intimate moment.

ETA: Dany pulled the broache from her cleavage, making it even more intimate.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 5

So many surprise deaths. Still, the cast needed a bit of culling. Suspected Tommen was a goner in the opening scene, so as soon as I saw the shot of the window, I waited for it. Still the way he jumped was interesting just falling forward slowly like that. I was expecting a jump. It was a great, quiet GoT moment I thought. The actor was well-cast for what the character was.  His eyes were sad and dumb at the same time, and he was so naive and innocent. Dare I say RIP?

Now all three Lannister children are considered kingslayers

Technically, Tommen is the Kingslayer.

It would have been fascinating if Cersei had fried him too. I think it's clear that she loved him.  I shamefully admit I wanted Cersei to win this 'round, 'cos it made for great TV.  Felt a bit of glee for some reason. I was glad the High Sparrow had a moment of realisation that he'd lost.  Feel sorry for  Marj and Loras, but it was a fast way to go. 

The only thing that really annoys me is that I'm not sure how Cersei's murder scene is gonna satisfy me (and it'd better be coming!). There are so many contenders. Arya?  Olenna? Jamie? Tyrion?  (to name just a few).

As cool as Arya's revenge was, and as much as I'd like to hear her revised shorter list, her new power is almost too great. She could slap on a mask and end this show in a couple of episodes (putting aside WWalkers I guess, who could probably end it just as quickly. What the heck to they do in their time off when they're not walking?).

Enjoyed this ep (the whole season actually). There were so many great moments mentioned by youse (including the bookgasm). The fan service smackdown of the sandsnakes was long overdue, so I'm gonna overlook all the time/space confusion of Varys/Oleanna. I guess they don't have to show everything in strict order. Works for Bran.

Although Shireen wasn't avenged, her life mattering was acknowledged - made me teary. I know it's been said, but how cool is the child actor who plays Lyanna Mormont?  I would love to see her audition. Jon certainly looked like a reluctant recipient of her admiration. Jon is a really strange kind of leader, but I'm glad he defended the Wildlings who risked their (giant) asses for the North.

• Love 1

I was so sorry to see the Tyrells die that way, especially as I had suspected (hoped?) that Margeary might have something of revenge up her sleeve, but it was still satisfying seeing the Sparrows taken down. I almost...almost rooted for Cersei in her vengeance upon the Septa, and then reminded myself that the whole messy thing had been Cersei's plan gone awry in the first place.

Lady Olenna teaming up with Varys and the Dornes was a nice move, and the two scenes of the King of the North and Dany's troops and dragons making their way were just perfect.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, insubordination said:

As cool as Arya's revenge was, and as much as I'd like to hear her revised shorter list, her new power is almost too great. She could slap on a mask and end this show in a couple of episodes (putting aside WWalkers I guess, who could probably end it just as quickly. What the heck to they do in their time off when they're not walking?).

I actually want to see how Arya fares with beings with powers, like Melisandre, Night King, the dragons, Benjen, Bran, etc.  Will they be able to sense her disguise?

• Love 2
(edited)
37 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No, Jaime never made it onto her list.

ETA: Arya's list:

Joffrey (killed by Lady Olenna/Littlefinger)
Cersei
Walder Frey (killed by Arya)
Meryn Trant (killed by Arya)
Tywin Lannister (killed by Tyrion)
The Red Woman
Beric Dondarrion (killed six times but resurrected by Thoros)
Thoros of Myr
Ilyn Payne
The Mountain (killed by Oberyn Martell but resurrected by Qyburn)
The Hound
The Tickler (killed by Jaqen H'gher at Arya's request)
Polliver (killed by Arya)

Thanks for the updated List! 

First of all, makes me think, who the hell is Thoros of Myr and what did he do to Arya/the Starks? I kinda remember but will look him up.

The Red Woman is on Arya's List AND on Davos'? She is so gonna get the awful death she deserves, and I'm sure it will be another satisfying one for we viewers.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Thanks for the updated List! 

First of all, makes me think, who the hell is Thoros of Myr and what did he do to Arya/the Starks? I kinda remember but will look him up.

The Red Woman is on Arya's List AND on Davos'? She is so gonna get the awful death she deserves, and I'm sure it will be another satisfying one for we viewers.

Thoros of Myr is the priest of R'hllor who's with the Brotherhood without Banners and who resurrected Beric. Not so sure what he did to her.

Arya met the Red Woman when she (Mel) took Gendry away - for all Arya knows, Gendry's dead.

ETA: In that conversation when Davos accused Melisandre, for a second I thought she was going to say that Shireen's death was the sacrifice needed to resurrect Jon. Even though I hate her, I just thought "Do NOT go there, girl. Nuh uh. Then Jon really will kill you."

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, revbfc said:

When did Arya meet the Red Woman?  I'm spacing on that.

When Melisandre picked up Gendry from the Brotherhood without banners

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Thoros of Myr is the red priest sporting the man-bun traveling with the Brotherhood Without Banners. They sold Gendry to Melisadre for gold and they've been on her shit list ever since.

• Love 2

Duke Silver said:

--Agree w/ the Lyanna Mormont love.  About 5 minutes of screen time, and she is already one of my favorites.

Agreed! She's a true little lady boss!..She was on point and when Jon was made king it was awesome.

This episode was so good on so many levels!..from Olenna telling those annoying brats to STFU to Varys and his time traveling ass! LOL

When Dany made Tyrion hand of the queen it was so emotional, I couldn't stop smiling ...yes I also think that he is falling in love with her as well.

Arya is deadly and so badass!..Red wedding avenged! however, I don't want any pie for a very long time. LOL

Darvos was so good in his scenes...he gave me major feels

Cersei..that bitch is ruthless....enjoy your rule because it's going to be very short!!

That last scene with Dany and everyone on board the ships, the dragons...So Cool

• Love 1
(edited)

I have to give praise to the costume designers for being so successful at transitioning Cersei from a broken, totally humiliated woman, to the powerful, vengeful and self-appointed Queen she succeeded in becoming. The black dress and headpiece worn by Cersei couldn't have been any more perfect. It was devoid of any color at all and simply all black to signify death and power. The shoulder epaulets were representative of a military uniform and intricately detailed. There was an image of a face on each shoulder embellishment.

Quote: "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have"

720x405-game-of-thrones-cersei-crown-fin

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

I will say that Cersei was totally correct in calling Unella out for sadistically enjoying how she abused and berated her. "Shame, shame, shame."

Can't agree with that, I mean Cersei had sex and children with her own TWIN BROTHER, I mean that's a zillion yuks, and ewws, and yes, "shame, shame, shame."

BTW, I don't think Cersei even loves Jamie, I hope Jamie realizes that she's been playing him this whole times and separates her head from her body. 

I don't think Cersei looks powerful in that getup; she looks like an Upper East Side matron trying to look "downtown" and "edgy,", and does that crown fit everybody's head? 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

Can't agree with that, I mean Cersei had sex and children with her own TWIN BROTHER, I mean that's a zillion yuks, and ewws, and yes, "shame, shame, shame."

No shame in Cersei's game now, is there?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, revbfc said:

No shame in Cersei's game now, is there?

I think there's a lot of shame in her game.  Her children are dead and she has zero allies.  She came to power by killing everybody, how original, not.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, maydaymayday said:

can someone explain what Varys was doing in Dorne and how he ended up back on the ship from Mereen?

12 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

He was making the alliance with Dorne and (what's left of) House Tyrell. As for how he's back on the ship, those Iron Islanders can sail.

I assume that they also picked up some  Dornish soldiers at the same time or there were some Dornish ships in the fleet as well.  I don't think it is just Varys.

I also get the impression that more time has passed then we think.  Arya had time to get to Westeros & kill Walter Frey; Lady Olenna has enough time to learn about the death of her family and make it to Dorn.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

I think he believed that his mother was evil (true) and that she had killed many, many innocent people including his own wife, the only woman he had loved and could trust (not really true but he still believed she actually loved him). His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real and so he was devastated by its destruction. He knew his evil mother and her minions would now control him and he had no trust in her, thinking that she would use his position as King to do evil through him, so what was there to live for?

His suicide was the only weak part of the episode for me.  I have never understood Tommen or his motivations this season.  First he told Jaime he wanted to protect his mother/then I guess he changed his mind.  Also, I never got the sense that Tommen loved Margeary (sp).  Mainly because they haven't really spent that much time together.  Also those innocent people were keeping his wife captive for months???? So how innocent were there?

"His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real"  This is the only thing that makes sense.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dmc said:

Also those innocent people were keeping his wife captive for months???? So how innocent were there?

They were innocent as far as he was concerned since he bought everything High Sparrow told him, hook, line, & sinker

• Love 3
(edited)

The only weak point of  the episode for me was we never saw Dothrakis puking on the boats.  As much as we have been told how Dothrakis did not fare well on water, I was expecting to see the majority of them got sea sick on the boats.

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, soulza said:

what i have suspected all season finally was proven about Jons parents ,we know neds sister was his mother ,and also we now know the king was his father ?

this makes snow the true decendant to the throne.

watch episode one again the clues are there

Jon Snows' parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Lyanna being the sister of Eddard Stark and Thaegar Targaryen the older brother of Daenerys Targaryen. Which means that Jon is Dany's nephew, and has a stronger claim on the Iron Throne than she does. And he's not really a Stark but a Targaryen. And his birth may be the reason the war happened in the first place. And Lyanna Mormont's declaration that Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins is only kind of true.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

They were innocent as far as he was concerned since he bought everything High Sparrow told him, hook, line, & sinker

This is the part that I missed somehow.

4 minutes ago, ElleMo said:

I assume that they also picked up some  Dornish soldiers at the same time or there were some Dornish ships in the fleet as well.  I don't think it is just Varys.

In addition to the black Targaryen and Greyjoy sails, there were definitely ships with green Tyrell sails and gold Dornish/Martell sails.

Some gold Dornish sails here:

daenerys-game-of-thrones-season6-finale.

And some green Tyrell ones, too. ;)

dany-thrones-1200x673.jpg

...  Good luck, Cersei.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Was Tommen jumping off the windows always part of Cersei's plan or was that just a happy coincidence? 

In any case, the Lannisters are broke and Cersei just killed the Grand Maester and Master of Coins.  Good luck ruling the kingdom without gold or food.

I don't think she planned for it, or I think she would have let him go to the trial.  I think Cersei is the very worst, but much has been made about her love for her children.  The only good thing about Tommen's death was that it probably made Cersei feel like shit for pretty much being the worst mother ever.  She raised a psychopath, and her actions pushed her son to suicide.

• Love 7
(edited)

The discovery that Ayra was the servant girl eyeing Jaime flirtatiously makes me wonder if her plan is the kill Jaime to steal his face to get close enough to Cersei to kill her.  That's one way to get around The Mountain protecting Cersei.  If Jaime hopefully rejects Cersei because of her actions and how they impacted Tommen than Arya would have to come up with a different scheme.  Jaime has always believed that Cersei's ruthlessness was for her children's sake but never recognized power was her real goal.  She wasn't allowed to rule because she was a woman and intended to rule through her children.  She did not raise them to be rulers but to be lead.  She may have loved them but her children were tools for her to use to attain the power she felt she was entitled to.  Now she has the throne for herself, and I hope Jaime sees her for what she is and joins her opponents to bring her down.   Jaime is no saint but he has found he is capable of honor. 

So Cersei's prophecy was that all of her children would die before her and at that she would be queen but only temporarily because another younger and more beautiful queen would destroy her.  I think Cersei mistakenly believed Margery was that queen, but it is actually Dany that's going to be Cersei's doom.  Has Cersei given herself up to the prophecy or does she think she can still beat it despite other parts of it coming true?  She has a kingdom where she is despised, no money, no more allies in other houses, and probably soon no food.  She will attempt to maintain control by fear but that can only last so long before the people rebel.   Starving people have nothing to lose.   Although from Cersei's point of view she has nothing to lose at this point either which makes her more dangerous.

I was so sad for Margery.  She was one of the smart ones and died anyway.   I hope Oleanna gets her vengeance.

Jon and Sansa could be a great team.  She may be better at the political side of things while Jon is the seasoned warrior who can inspire others to follow him.  Jon also is great at seeing the bigger picture and getting what the real threat is.  Will Sansa work with Jon to handle the threat from Little Finger or will she act on her own to eliminate the threat?  What happens to Littlefinger's power base if Robin marries and his wife takes control since Robin isn't competent to lead?   Still, I don't know if Sansa would be willing to leave Winterfell at this point after all she has been through to get back to it.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 13

^^I suspect Cersei will have a totally different version of events about how Tommen died.  A self-serving version that makes Jaime hate the wrong person because he still sees some goodness in that lunatic.

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

<snip>

The North has happier times at least!  The rest of the North finally wises up (thanks to Lyanna!), and throws their support behind Jon, despite being a bastard.  Feel bad that Sansa will probably not get credit for her bailing his ass out, but I suspect a lot of these men would still rather support a bastard male, then an actual Stark female. I guess that final shot with Littlefinger is suppose to hint that he will try and meddle and turn Sansa against Jon, but I hope Sansa is smarter then that.

<snip>

Melissandre getting booted south was a bit strange.  They really should have either just gone with the "Jon forgives her" path or "Davos executes her" one.  This just feels a bit like a cop-out and trying to find a way to keep her around longer.

<snip>

She got all the credit she needed from Jon on the rampart as Mel is riding away; and he got something he always wanted from her.

He's a Stark of Winterfell and he's alive because she saved his ass.

They had to devise a way for Mel to meet Arya again.

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

Jon Snows' parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Lyanna being the sister of Eddard Stark and Thaegar Targaryen the older brother of Daenerys Targaryen. Which means that Jon is Dany's nephew, and has a stronger claim on the Iron Throne than she does. And he's not really a Stark but a Targaryen. And his birth may be the reason the war happened in the first place. And Lyanna Mormont's declaration that Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins is only kind of true.

I don't understand why people say Jon's "not really" a Stark. Both lines of descent matter in Westeros -- mother and father. 

He's Lyanna Stark's son, so he is a Stark, and his father was a Targaryen, so he has a strong claim to both the North (through his mother) and to the Iron Throne. Bran has a stronger claim to the North as the son of a Stark male, and perhaps Sansa as the daughter of a Stark male. The thing is that I don't think either of them want to rule the North. Sansa seems to feel Jon is the better choice of ruler, and I guess we'll see how Bran feels next season but something tells me he will realize he has no experience for that particular job and his talents obviously lie elsewhere.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, rozen said:

The minute anyone tells Dany there's another alleged "Targaeryn" with a claim, she's going to have Drogon roast them. Easiest test there is (given you have 3 dragons lying around ready to immolate anything on command).

The Dragons don't have to roast him at all, they didn't with Tyrion, they're going to act like the Direwolves, they can sense their own.

Any Direwolf will protect  any Stark, I think it would be the same for Dragons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Looked like Septa Unella was going to be raped in a slow and gruesome manner. Shudder. I will say that Cersei was totally correct in calling Unella out for sadistically enjoying how she abused and berated her. "Shame, shame, shame."

Did we actually see the Mountain's face or just a hint of gruesome features deep in shadow? I streamed the episode with my screen fully brightened and that scene was still too dark.

Ugh, that's what I think too :(  Raped to death. I also think Jamie will kill Cersei, and will die of various wounds immediately after her.

I am one of the slow-pokes who needs things pointed/spelled out for her, so for that, I thank you all!

43 minutes ago, dmc said:

His suicide was the only weak part of the episode for me.  I have never understood Tommen or his motivations this season.  First he told Jaime he wanted to protect his mother/then I guess he changed his mind.  Also, I never got the sense that Tommen loved Margeary (sp).  Mainly because they haven't really spent that much time together.  Also those innocent people were keeping his wife captive for months???? So how innocent were there?

"His conversion to the High Sparrow's cult was real"  This is the only thing that makes sense.

By "innocent people" I didn't mean the followers of the High Sparrow, members of the cult of the Seven (or whatever they called themselves). Yes, they are not exactly innocent because they participated in enforcing the cult's imprisonment of Cersei, Margery, Tommen, Loras, etc.

But what about the nobles and residents of Kings Landing who were there to watch the trial? Did that make them complicit? I don't think so as they saw it as a legitimate trial, I assume, and did not know of all the machinations going on behind closed doors. Cersei isn't exactly innocent of the charges, anyway.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I can't help feeling like Sansa is such a cipher at this point. I assume that Jon will ultimately hand the North over to her, as I doubt he really wants to be a leader even if he were better at it than he is, but the sympathy I should feel for her isn't there, partly because she's been so hollowed out the last two seasons, reduced to tedious I Spit On Your Grave-style tropes and some type of supposed destiny to be a ruler that rarely felt backed up by her actions, but also because she only really has two relationships on the show now - one that they never bothered to invest in this season (Jon) and the other they completely and totally eviscerated last season when he happily left her to be raped, tortured and killed (Baelish).

When I first started this show, Sansa was one of my favorite characters and I saw a lot of the show through her eyes. 

Now, all I see is blankness and all I end up feeling when I watch this part of the story is apathy and disappointment.

Go back, rewatch from season 1, don't concentrate on just her words, watch her body language her eye movements.

Almost everything after season 1 where she watched her father die and the heads and had the hound give her some sound advice is Sansa actually playing the game.

She's doing it as a naive teen but she's so subtle in the way she does it.

I wouldn't let season 5 stop you either there are clues there too.

• Love 3

Of course Tyrion is in at least a little bit of love with Dany. After all, she is one of the few people in the world to look past "The Imp" and see the impressive gifts he brings to the table. Not only does she understand this, she also appreciates it to the degree of naming him her most trusted advisor. Who wouldn't fall in love with someone like that?

• Love 13
1 minute ago, DarkRaichu said:

Mel was going south and Arya was at the Crossing, I'd say they meet again

I believe the poster was asking why Jon opted to send her away instead of kill her.

Just now, GrailKing said:

I believe the poster was asking why Jon opted to send her away instead of kill her.

Err, ok, Jon was just too honorable to kill someone who brought him back.  He owed her his live so he spared hers, debt paid.  

Arya does not have that same arrangement with Mel, though :)

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Ugh, that's what I think too :(  Raped to death. I also think Jamie will kill Cersei, and will die of various wounds immediately after her.

I am one of the slow-pokes who needs things pointed/spelled out for her, so for that, I thank you all!

I'm also thinking that Jaime's and Cersei's deaths will be a murder/suicide. If Jaime can't manage to break his sick obsession with her, yet realizes and is horrified by what a complete and destructive monster she's become, he might feel his only choice is to stop her by killing her and then take his own life because he feels he can't live without her. Go out as they came in, would be fitting. But then, GRMM is known for turning tropes on their heads, so who can guess?

Sansa has more than made up for her coldness toward Jon in their childhood and will be loyal to him going forward. I think she's quite aware that Littlefinger is not to be trusted and will be on the watch for his manipulations. She may lead him on just to learn more of his weaknesses, plans, etc. I'd love to see her be the one who ultimately trips him up, and maybe out the Moon Door.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

By "innocent people" I didn't mean the followers of the High Sparrow, members of the cult of the Seven (or whatever they called themselves). Yes, they are not exactly innocent because they participated in enforcing the cult's imprisonment of Cersei, Margery, Tommen, Loras, etc.

But what about the nobles and residents of Kings Landing who were there to watch the trial? Did that make them complicit? I don't think so as they saw it as a legitimate trial, I assume, and did not know of all the machinations going on behind closed doors. Cersei isn't exactly innocent of the charges, anyway.

I see what you mean.  No, Cersei is still the worst but I have to mention...that I liked seeing her do this and take power.  Not because I think she will be a good ruler and I definitely think someone will end up killing her.  However it goes back to what she said awhile ago.  She never understood why he father treated her and Jaime differently, that he got to learn how to sword fight and she had to be sold to Robert.  In a lot of ways, Cersei is stronger than men she has had to support thus far.  This is really turning into the women's game and I like that. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Keely said:

I could be wrong but I read it to be him fearing a loss of power and control. He got the majority of royalty and the upper class in KL (and beyond) to bend knee to his will. He'd put this grand trial together, everyone was set to attend and he was about to judge Cersei before everyone. Her trial, a priest trying a former queen, would have been his biggest...win to date. Then, all of this sudden, his plans go awry when she doesn't show. Fine, he'll have the trial without her, no big. But then those in attendance listen to Margaery over him when she tells them to leave. His plans really run off the rails when people try to leave. He's lost complete control at that point. Once that happens in the scene he begins looking around in disbelief, hesitant and uncertain what to do or how to regain the upper hand. 

He's a bit like a child wanting to take his ball and go home - by not letting them leave - as he looks left and right and refuses to let anyone leave while everyone else pretty much puts him on ignore in order to leave. If Cersei has finally outmaneuvers him, and Margaery gains control of the crowd and they then all leave? His power dwindles fast. Why should anyone else subject themselves to his madness? 

I really like this read on the High Sparrow. His lust for power was his undoing. He played the humble septon but we all saw his need for control and domination. He was a sinful as those he judged. I loved it when Margery dropped her little pious act and became Queen Margery again right to his face in public. She was like, "This shit is real, fool, unlock the damn doors!"

Interesting the reveal that she had made him promise not to "mutilate" Loras. When she whispered to him that he'd broken his promise it was clear she wasn't doing the Pious Margery routine and his response showed he wasn't doing the Humble High Septon act either. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Cersei didn't just kill the Sparrows and the people attending her trial working against her.  She also killed any bystander anywhere surrounding the temple.  It looked like several blocks were destroyed.  Innocent people definitely died because Cersei didn't want to be found guilty and face punishment for crimes she actually committed.  The Sparrows were horrible, but the accusations against Cersei were true.  She did commit incest and arrange her husband's murder.  She gave the Sparrows the power that they ended up using against her as a petty move against Margery.  Cersei didn't care about any other innocents the Sparrows might harm and only worked against them when she was the target.  When it came to Cersei vs. the Sparrows I wanted both to be brought down.  The whole mess of the current war comes down to her using birth control with her husband and not with her brother ensuring her children would not be legitimate heirs which was a stupid arrogant unnecessary risk on her part.    That is Cersei; she does short sighted things to give herself temporary victories but in the long term her actions make  situations worse.  She never learns and takes the time to think about the long term consequences.  Her husband didn't love her and cheated so she gave herself some sort of petty victory by never having his children but her children suffered for it.   She took out the Sparrows and any innocent who happened to be near by but has lost her last child.  She has gained the throne though which deep down is what she ultimately wanted, but she can't hold it.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, dmc said:

This is really turning into the women's game and I like that. 

Realistically, it won't last very long though. In poker terms, Cersei and Sansa are drawing dead. Whoever folds - e.g. Yara, Elllaria, Oleanna, maybe Sansa - survives. Dany has the nut flush.  Arya, Brienne and Lady Mormont are not even at the table.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, paigow said:

Realistically, it won't last very long though. In poker terms, Cersei and Sansa are drawing dead. Whoever folds - e.g. Yara, Elllaria, Oleanna, maybe Sansa - survives. Dany has the nut flush.  Arya, Brienne and Lady Mormont are not even at the table.

LOL I have actually never played poker. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I have always thought that Daenerys will have her dragons burn Jon to test him or maybe it happens accidentally. Jon will survive proving he is a Targaeryn and a dragon also.

If Dany tests Jon with fire, he will burn to death.  I recall that his hands burned when he flung a lit lantern at a zombie that was trying to kill him...or trying to kill Mormont, can't remember who the zombie was after.  So Jon may be half Targ, but he is not Jon the Unburnt.

• Love 1