Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Exit Strategy

Xander returns to Wayward Pines with someone unexpected, who helps him better understand the Abbies' intentions; at the same time, Rebecca finds herself at odds with Megan over a young girl who's trying to escape a town tradition; and CJ disregards Theo's protests when as he leads a brave group on an expedition beyond the fence.

In the previouslies, we get Pilcher in 2014 with a balding head -- but in the flashbacks from S1 we know that he had a full head of hair BEFORE he went into the cryo.  And there's a clip of Adam Hassler, the guy in the videos that Ethan found last season that showed San Francisco in ruins.

Xander wakes up in a well, climbs up out of the well only to be frightened by an Abbie, falls back down the well followed by the Abbie.  He somehow gets the drop on the Abbie and puts it in a choke hold/kills it (it's unclear) and climbs out of the well.  How come Xander doesn't have a single scratch on him ?  His clothes are even intact -- so why isn't he digesting in Abbie colons ?  And I'm guessing he's at least 30 miles away from WP (because of the thermal sensors).   If that Abbie is typical they really are a bunch of pussies.

In a meeting of WP leadership, Hypnoteacher reviews the current herd status of pregnancies. CJ is pissed that the meeting was about breeding vs. food and agriculture and water.  They still haven't said what poisoned the soil inside the fence -- did the silo of SpiderPig poop contaminate everything ? </sarcasm>

Xander wanders to a creek to get a drink where he is grabbed by another human dressed shabbily.

In the WP hospital, Adam gets caught up on recent events with Xander, telling him that Pilcher is dead, Pam too.

Rebecca is working on a customer and intern Lucy won't answer her requests -- turns out she's washing her panties in the sink since she got her first period, and tells Rebecca she doesn't want to be a mom or submit to the fertility program.

And the shabby looking dude that grabbed Xander is Adam Hassler -- and he tells Xander that he's been outside WP living by learning the ways to avoid the Abbies.  And even though they have a fire going, they go unmolested by Abbies all night.  And the next day walk back to WP.  'Cause Xander has to see a guy.  But we never do find out who that guy is ?

Maybe the thermal sensors are only tuned to Abbies, because Xander and Hassler are basically within eyesight of the wall before they are spotted.  That's some top notch security there.

Turns out Hassler doesn't really have his shit together -- when being examined by Dr. Theo he starts having PTSD and is suffering from old poorly healed injuries.

Jason talks to Theo about Adam, but Theo stonewalls him -- because of the Hippocratic oath -- and Jason says something curious, that Adam is the only one of 12 nomads sent out in 12 different directions sent to scout the continent.  But unless WP has continent wide satellite-based Wifi, how did Hassler send that video of San Fran back to WP if he is the first one to have ever returned ?  Who knows, maybe the Abbies have Dropbox or Mega and WP just piggy-backed on that ?  And in that video of ruined San Fran Hassler was with a group of people -- except Jason said that the nomads went out alone.  Regardless, there's some serious retconning going on here.

Adam wanders out of his room after some Abbie-inspired bad dreams/hallucinations -- and encounters Arlene in the hallway where she tells him that she is setting him up for a haircut, body wax and a mani-pedi.  Really Arlene ?

Adam wanders the streets of WP and encounters Theresa -- and she blames him for the death of her entire family.

Kerry stakes out McConigles ice cream shop and confronts Xander when he returns to work.  Xander swings a deal with Kerry because he has information on the Abbies and developed a relationship with Adam, so he doesn't get tossed outside the fence ... again. 

There is a pageant at WPA by elementary students -- and the creepiest thing ever is Pilcher's face superimposed on the moon staring down from above.  Hypnoteacher is on the trail of Lucy, and just knows she's a blooming.

Adam somehow got a hold of an entire bottle of booze and is drinking it at the base of Pilcher's statue, before tossing the bottle and wandering down the street as Theresa looks on.

Hypnoteacher grills Frank about his sister, Lucy, after eating a lovely piece of fudge, that his sistering is blooming, blah, blah, blah Frank needs to convince his sister to get knocked up.

Wait a minute, there is a food shortage and all they have harvested recently is vegetables yet they have ice cream, fudge and booze -- where is the milk coming from, or the chocolate for the fudge ?  Who's making the booze ?

Theo talks with CJ about going outside the fence and the Abbies -- and it is just so damn boring.

CJ's expedition outside the fence is rolling down main street -- and Theresa stops them so she can hitch a ride.  So does Adam Hassler -- I guess he can't out of there fast enough.

Rebecca goes to visit Xander.  And they have red vines.  I think these two used to bang.  Back up, they have red vines (Xander makes a 'Wayward Vines' pun), but add that to the list of other foods they have (like the milk, fudge and even more booze) and it makes you wonder where it is all coming from.

Rebecca goes back to the beauty salon to find Hypnoteacher trying to coerce Lucy to come back to breed.  Apparently Rebecca and Hypnoteacher have some history and Rebecca is not afraid of Hypnoteacher and her reckonings.

The convoy makes camp near a lovely lake and pitches a few tents -- I'm hoping some aquatic Abbies pop up out of the lake.  CJ makes some small talk with Adam but gets no response and Adam walks off and heads into the woods in the dark searching for something.  I wonder if Adam Hassler is an Abbie whisperer.

Theresa wakes in the night to the sounds of voices so she heads out of the tent to find a lot of people surrounding what looks like a covered body on the ground.  Theresa looks at Adam and uncovers the body and breaks into tears.  So I'm expecting that the body is dead Ben.

How did Adam know where Ben's body is ?  And how is Ben's body intact and also not residing in the colon of numerous Abbies.

Rebecca brings Lucy home and tells Theo that Lucy is under her protection.  And apparently the WPA fertility program consists of pairing up couples and putting them in procreation rooms at WPA.  Are there scented candles ? Mood music ? Instruction manuals ? Pr0n ?  Hopefully there's at least a mattress.

Funny thing -- there were no pregnant girls at WPA in Season 1.  This must be all new since Invasion Day.  Based on Hypnoteachers stats there are a lot of pregnant teens in WPA.

Lucy bumps into her brother and tells him that she hates him for ratting her out to Hypnoteacher.  Later that evening Frank goes for a walk to have a sandwich outside the WPA dorms (for orphans) next to the carousel in the middle of town.  The carousel starts up for no apparent reason, but then shuts down for also no apparent reason -- and Frank spots an Abbie amongst the horses on the carousel.

Was the carousel starting up supposed to be mysterious and spooky ?  Because it just comes off as lazy and stupid by the writers.  Are they implying that the Abbies were in control of the Carousel ?  Do Abbies have a love of carousels ?  Is this just an Abbie spy that has infiltrated WP -- because that also shows some higher reasoning ?  Or some vanguard scout of an oncoming Abbie army that somehow found a backdoor into WP ?

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

In the previouslies, we get Pilcher in 2014 with a balding head -- but in the flashbacks from S1 we know that he had a full head of hair BEFORE he went into the cryo.  And there's a clip of Adam Hassler, the guy in the videos that Ethan found last season that showed San Francisco in ruins.

Xander wakes up in a well, climbs up out of the well only to be frightened by an Abbie, falls back down the well followed by the Abbie.  He somehow gets the drop on the Abbie and puts it in a choke hold/kills it (it's unclear) and climbs out of the well.  How come Xander doesn't have a single scratch on him ?  His clothes are even intact -- so why isn't he digesting in Abbie colons ?  And I'm guessing he's at least 30 miles away from WP (because of the thermal sensors).   If that Abbie is typical they really are a bunch of pussies.

In a meeting of WP leadership, Hypnoteacher reviews the current herd status of pregnancies. CJ is pissed that the meeting was about breeding vs. food and agriculture and water.  They still haven't said what poisoned the soil inside the fence -- did the silo of SpiderPig poop contaminate everything ? </sarcasm>

Xander wanders to a creek to get a drink where he is grabbed by another human dressed shabbily.

In the WP hospital, Adam gets caught up on recent events with Xander, telling him that Pilcher is dead, Pam too.

Rebecca is working on a customer and intern Lucy won't answer her requests -- turns out she's washing her panties in the sink since she got her first period, and tells Rebecca she doesn't want to be a mom or submit to the fertility program.

And the shabby looking dude that grabbed Xander is Adam Hassler -- and he tells Xander that he's been outside WP living by learning the ways to avoid the Abbies.  And even though they have a fire going, they go unmolested by Abbies all night.  And the next day walk back to WP.  'Cause Xander has to see a guy.  But we never do find out who that guy is ?

Maybe the thermal sensors are only tuned to Abbies, because Xander and Hassler are basically within eyesight of the wall before they are spotted.  That's some top notch security there.

Turns out Hassler doesn't really have his shit together -- when being examined by Dr. Theo he starts having PTSD and is suffering from old poorly healed injuries.

Jason talks to Theo about Adam, but Theo stonewalls him -- because of the Hippocratic oath -- and Jason says something curious, that Adam is the only one of 12 nomads sent out in 12 different directions sent to scout the continent.  But unless WP has continent wide satellite-based Wifi, how did Hassler send that video of San Fran back to WP if he is the first one to have ever returned ?  Who knows, maybe the Abbies have Dropbox or Mega and WP just piggy-backed on that ?  And in that video of ruined San Fran Hassler was with a group of people -- except Jason said that the nomads went out alone.  Regardless, there's some serious retconning going on here.

Adam wanders out of his room after some Abbie-inspired bad dreams/hallucinations -- and encounters Arlene in the hallway where she tells him that she is setting him up for a haircut, body wax and a mani-pedi.  Really Arlene ?

Adam wanders the streets of WP and encounters Theresa -- and she blames him for the death of her entire family.

Kerry stakes out McConigles ice cream shop and confronts Xander when he returns to work.  Xander swings a deal with Kerry because he has information on the Abbies and developed a relationship with Adam, so he doesn't get tossed outside the fence ... again.

There is a pageant at WPA by elementary students -- and the creepiest thing ever is Pilcher's face superimposed on the moon staring down from above.  Hypnoteacher is on the trail of Lucy, and just knows she's a blooming.

Adam somehow got a hold of an entire bottle of booze and is drinking it at the base of Pilcher's statue, before tossing the bottle and wandering down the street as Theresa looks on.

Hypnoteacher grills Frank about his sister, Lucy, after eating a lovely piece of fudge, that his sistering is blooming, blah, blah, blah Frank needs to convince his sister to get knocked up.

Wait a minute, there is a food shortage and all they have harvested recently is vegetables yet they have ice cream, fudge and booze -- where is the milk coming from, or the chocolate for the fudge ?  Who's making the booze ?

Theo talks with CJ about going outside the fence and the Abbies -- and it is just so damn boring.

CJ's expedition outside the fence is rolling down main street -- and Theresa stops them so she can hitch a ride.  So does Adam Hassler -- I guess he can't out of there fast enough.

Rebecca goes to visit Xander.  And they have red vines.  I think these two used to bang.  Back up, they have red vines (Xander makes a 'Wayward Vines' pun), but add that to the list of other foods they have (like the milk, fudge and even more booze) and it makes you wonder where it is all coming from.

Rebecca goes back to the beauty salon to find Hypnoteacher trying to coerce Lucy to come back to breed.  Apparently Rebecca and Hypnoteacher have some history and Rebecca is not afraid of Hypnoteacher and her reckonings.

The convoy makes camp near a lovely lake and pitches a few tents -- I'm hoping some aquatic Abbies pop up out of the lake.  CJ makes some small talk with Adam but gets no response and Adam walks off and heads into the woods in the dark searching for something.  I wonder if Adam Hassler is an Abbie whisperer.

Theresa wakes in the night to the sounds of voices so she heads out of the tent to find a lot of people surrounding what looks like a covered body on the ground.  Theresa looks at Adam and uncovers the body and breaks into tears.  So I'm expecting that the body is dead Ben.

How did Adam know where Ben's body is ?  And how is Ben's body intact and also not residing in the colon of numerous Abbies.

Rebecca brings Lucy home and tells Theo that Lucy is under her protection.  And apparently the WPA fertility program consists of pairing up couples and putting them in procreation rooms at WPA.  Are there scented candles ? Mood music ? Instruction manuals ? Pr0n ?  Hopefully there's at least a mattress.

Funny thing -- there were no pregnant girls at WPA in Season 1.  This must be all new since Invasion Day.  Based on Hypnoteachers stats there are a lot of pregnant teens in WPA.

Lucy bumps into her brother and tells him that she hates him for ratting her out to Hypnoteacher.  Later that evening Frank goes for a walk to have a sandwich outside the WPA dorms (for orphans) next to the carousel in the middle of town.  The carousel starts up for no apparent reason, but then shuts down for also no apparent reason -- and Frank spots an Abbie amongst the horses on the carousel.

Was the carousel starting up supposed to be mysterious and spooky ?  Because it just comes off as lazy and stupid by the writers.  Are they implying that the Abbies were in control of the Carousel ?  Do Abbies have a love of carousels ?  Is this just an Abbie spy that has infiltrated WP -- because that also shows some higher reasoning ?  Or some vanguard scout of an oncoming Abbie army that somehow found a backdoor into WP ?

Lazy and stupid writing it is, given that the theme of the season seems to be boring, meandering subplots.  Theo still has nothing to do and the same goes for Theresa who's only purpose is to worry about her son and nothing else.

• Love 2

Was hypnoteacher a shark in a past life?  That woman can smell blood a mile away.  Poor Lucy.  Not only does she have to deal with having her "ladies days" but she's got a paralyzed creeper breathing down her neck to get it on. No Means No! This show is so stupid!!

Arlene setting the homeless guy up for a spa day! Ha! This show is so so stupid!! 

Why does Xander look like an abbie wearing a human mask?  I guess he gets a second chance because he makes awesome fudge. This show is so so so stupid!!

Was the carousel always there?  Tonight was the first time I noticed it.

On an irrelevant note, I liked the music playing at the end when Frank was walking down the hall of WP academy.  If anyone knows who composed it,  let me know.  

• Love 2

Are some of these girls pregnant with Pilcher's clone or something that Megan is that obsessed?

I had no idea abbies just wanted to ride the carousel. Now it all makes sense: they want Wayward Pines to rebuild Disney World.

• Love 2

Hey, should we have a guard here to keep an eye on this really important guy who is the only person to return from people sent outside the fence years ago? I think it might be a good idea so he doesn't, you know wander off or something.

Nah, it'll be fine. We'll just leave him here alone in this apparently deserted hospital. I'm gonna go have some fudge and ice cream and then wash it down with a beer. Man, this food shortage sucks!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They should have just tagged him and released him back into the wild.

Megan's evilness just doesn't work for me, I am surprised that someone who she has already pissed off hasn't wheeled her out into traffic already, or found some other way to bump her off.

The only thing that is saving this show for me, is that TPTB seem to be actually making the Abbies more interesting.  That there is more there, there, as far as the Abbies are concerned.  I am beginning to wonder if some outside force is controlling them.  

It helps that the Abbies seem to have more character than the bland humans we're stuck with.  As for Megan, yeah, having her be the S1 survivor was not a good idea at all.

• Love 1

ottoDBusdriver:  Xander also hit the abbie on the head with a big rock making an unpleasant squishing sound.  So, I think we can conclude that it is an ex-abbie now.  The well he got dropped down looked suspiciously manmade.

It's not really great drama, but I actually think the show is better this year.  Last year, it was all weird and spooky and mostly totally pointless (cf Juliet Lewis' character).  Other than wondering why the normal people (CJ ?) don't just rise up and throw out their Nazi youth overlords, what's happening is vaguely interesting.  Loss of food supply (what happened to the tunnels to the food bins?), forcing them to grow crops and go outside the wall, forced procreation, someone who knows something about the abbies and how they function.

• Love 2

I still wonder how Pilcher managed to build this massive (I mean really massive) wall and infrastructure that was shown in season 1.  Was WP already abandoned when he started the project?  If so, did he import hundreds of people into the future to build this wall around the town? Logistical questions abound.  Or, if it was still human inhabited, did no one in town raise any questions?

In addition to booze and ice cream, WP seems to have a pretty fair fashion store.

Is there a reason for the security to be wearing bulletproof vests and helmets  for their outdoor excursions?

Megan has got to be the creepiest character in the whole town.  Put some sugar in that Kool-Aid.  And by the way, is there any reason why the adult women cannot bear children?

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

ottoDBusdriver:  Xander also hit the abbie on the head with a big rock making an unpleasant squishing sound.  So, I think we can conclude that it is an ex-abbie now.  The well he got dropped down looked suspiciously manmade.

Who would have built a well in the last 2000 years .... that would last 2000 years ?  Or did the Abbies build it recently, and maybe it's their warren (so the Abbies didn't really "leave") ? It wasn't even wet at the bottom, even though you could hear dripping water further in the tunnel.

5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I don't think they've ever shown a female abbie either.

Which begs the question -- If it's mostly dudes, why there are so many of them ?
Actually on review, I think that Abbie that attacked Xander in the well might have been female -- either that or it had moobs ?

5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I still wonder how Pilcher managed to build this massive (I mean really massive) wall and infrastructure that was shown in season 1.  Was WP already abandoned when he started the project?  If so, did he import hundreds of people into the future to build this wall around the town? Logistical questions abound.  Or, if it was still human inhabited, did no one in town raise any questions?

The fence seems to have been built since everyone was thawed, because it all looks like new materials.  Which begs the question, much like everything else, how did they preserve all that steel and materials to build the fence ?  Because after 2000 years it should have corroded/decayed long ago.  Same thing applies to all the food, construction materials to build the town, vehicles, paper/books, appliances, etc.

ETA: 

25 pregnancies in the 3rd trimester
34 pregnancies in the 2nd trimester
19 pregnancies in the 1st trimester
9 viable girls

That's 78 pregnant teens at WPA -- are there even 78 teen girls at WPA, add in the viables like Lucy that makes it 87. Which means probably an equal number of teen boys.
And in all the elementary students (including girls that haven't "bloomed" yet) that means there has to be hundreds of children at WPA -- and I'm just not seeing it. I don't think there are a couple of hundred residents in all of WP let alone that many children. There wasn't even a hundred people in attendance when Ruby was killed (and the reckonings are kind of mandatory).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Maybe the female abbies have come together and created advanced civilizations and the male ones are just keeping the humans away. Who knows what the rest of the planet looks like. 

Per that video that Ethan found on that computer in the underground tunnels in S1 and what Ethan saw on the road to Boise (before Pilcher picked him up in the helicopter), the rest of the world is in ruins.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Megan has got to be the creepiest character in the whole town.  Put some sugar in that Kool-Aid.  And by the way, is there any reason why the adult women cannot bear children?

Have they actually said that or is this just speculation because all we're hearing about right now is the child pregnancies? Because I remember Megan last season bugging Kate and her husband to have a baby, which of course they weren't doing because they didn't want to bring a baby into a world as fucked up as WP.

I have no idea why I'm still watching.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Have they actually said that or is this just speculation because all we're hearing about right now is the child pregnancies? Because I remember Megan last season bugging Kate and her husband to have a baby, which of course they weren't doing because they didn't want to bring a baby into a world as fucked up as WP.

I have no idea why I'm still watching.

Why wasn't Ruby pregnant ?  It's been 3 years since Invasion day, I would think if they are so desperate to repopulate the planet she should have been pregnant.  And they certainly shouldn't be killing women capable of bearing children.  It all makes no sense.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Per that video that Ethan found on that computer in the underground tunnels in S1 and what Ethan saw on the road to Boise (before Pilcher picked him up in the helicopter), the rest of the world is in ruins.

Maybe within a few hundred miles of Wayward Pines is in ruins, or even the whole United States, but the earth is a really big place. I don't buy that this small group of people with limited resources have managed to check out the entire planet. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Maybe within a few hundred miles of Wayward Pines is in ruins, or even the whole United States, but the earth is a really big place. I don't buy that this small group of people with limited resources have managed to check out the entire planet. 

Exactly. How do they know what's going on in Australia, for example.

WP must have a brewery, a winery, and a dairy farm! Wow!

• Love 5
(edited)

What comes off as unrealistic is how they run into shortages of certain staples - like veggies, and yet they seem to have a plethora of pretty much every other luxury known to man. I mean, where do they make all this stuff? Some of what you see requires a real and substantial manufacturing sector, which is, where? Also, within the greater arc of the story, it only makes sense to carry on this creepy "Enjoy your life in Wayward Pines" if - IF - you're pulling the wool over people's eyes. But there is no vast secret. All the townspeople know they are the supposedly the last humans on earth, and they all know the outside world is empty save for freak sub-human abbies who want to eat them. Just doesn't add up. It's like 1984 (the book, not the year) without the contextual need for Big Brother.

This kind of story is just interesting enough to keep me watching week to week. But the execution and the plotting AND the characterization has been pretty lazy and all over the place. Hope they pull it together a little bit. Too much to ask for?

Edited by Darrenbrett
  • Love 3

So, now Adam returns, although I honestly couldn't even remember his name most of the time last season and just thought of him as Tim Griffin.  So, basically, he was Bearded Tim Griffin for this episode, until I finally caught up!  I did notice Tim was actually listed in the main credits and wasn't just a "special guest star" like other past characters, so I wonder if this means Adam will be sticking around longer then the norm.  Equally, Shannyn Sossamon being one of those "special guest stars" makes me wonder if Thersea's days are numbered.  It would kind of suck, since I actually found the Thersea/Adam stuff to be one of the more interesting things so far this season, but then again, this show really isn't worth getting too worked up over.

Djimon Hounsou at least got a few dramatic speeches, which he was pretty good in, even though I barely remember any of them.  Something about hope?  Whatever.  Just keep cashing those checks, buddy!

So, this Xander guy manages to survive after-all, and gets a "second chance", and is back at his ice cream parlor.  Although, Kerry seems suspicious, so I'm so hoping this means Kacey Rohl will get her Abigail Hobbs on, somewhere down the line.  Also, I couldn't tell if that scene between him and Rebecca was suppose to be flirting or not.  Normally, I would say Theo wouldn't be happy if it was, but he really doesn't even seem to care anymore about them or their marriage.  Granted, I almost don't blame him at this point.

Megan continues to be a creep and I can't figure out why she is that obsessed over forcing kids to start making babies this early on.  They really don't have enough twenty year-olds, thirty year-olds, etc.; to repopulate things.  Any sane person would know starting them off this young will probably cause just as much harm as good, and yet Crazy Meg just keeps plowing through with this.

Abbie on a Carousel!!

I always wonder what happens to props that have actors' faces or pictures on them.  Because if I was Toby Jones, I would so try to snatch that statue and cardboard moon with his face on it, and just put it in my house, just to freak out houseguests.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I did notice Tim was actually listed in the main credits and wasn't just a "special guest star" like other past characters, so I wonder if this means Adam will be sticking around longer then the norm.  Equally, Shannyn Sossamon being one of those "special guest stars" makes me wonder if Thersea's days are numbered.  It would kind of suck, since I actually found the Thersea/Adam stuff to be one of the more interesting things so far this season, but then again, this show really isn't worth getting too worked up over.

Megan continues to be a creep and I can't figure out why she is that obsessed over forcing kids to start making babies this early on.  They really don't have enough twenty year-olds, thirty year-olds, etc.; to repopulate things.  

How one is billed often has more to do with agents than plot points. While it could be a clue as to how they intend to use the character, it could just as easily not be. For example, they may have simply negotiated it as a way of singling her out as more important, but obviously not top billing, as a condition of her returning, even if she might be in 80%+ of the episodes. Could've just as easily been "and Shannyn Sossamon" or "with Shannyn Sossamon". Or it could mean she'll be in a handful and out.

The math on the repopulation doesn't make sense. Obviously, they must be hovering down near the minimum given the population panic (and their own losses due to reckonings), but I read one study that suggested 80 couples makes a viable gene pool. So if there are currently 78 pregnant teens, then they definitely have enough people to repopulate things, assuming pretty much any of the adults are still having children. I mean, they're not going to get back up to billions any time soon, but they have enough people to have enough pairings. Especially if you factor in how many more might be in the deep freeze.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

The math on the repopulation doesn't make sense. Obviously, they must be hovering down near the minimum given the population panic (and their own losses due to reckonings), but I read one study that suggested 80 couples makes a viable gene pool. So if there are currently 78 pregnant teens, then they definitely have enough people to repopulate things, assuming pretty much any of the adults are still having children. I mean, they're not going to get back up to billions any time soon, but they have enough people to have enough pairings. Especially if you factor in how many more might be in the deep freeze.

That's the part that seems off -- we (the viewers) haven't even seen enough characters/redshirts/extras to even drum up 80 couples in total for the entire town, let alone at WPA.

Which begs the question -- why doesn't Kerry already have 4 or 5 kids and 1 on the way ?  How is she exempt from the repopulation program ?  Or Rebecca ? Or Theresa ?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Is there a reason for the security to be wearing bulletproof vests and helmets  for their outdoor excursions?

So they don't accidentally kill each other in an abbie melee?

11 year olds aren't built to have babies - they may be blooming, but their hips aren't ready for it yet.  Women and babies still die during childbirth at significant rates even with modern medicine; WP would be littered with dead teens and babies if the girls are too young.  Megan, you should KNOW that, dumbass.

Megan is doing it all wrong.  If she wants teenagers to fuck like bunnies, she needs to tell them they aren't supposed to have sex.  That will make them want to sneak around having sex as much as possible, lol.

• Love 6

The well he got dropped down looked suspiciously manmade.

Who the hell put Xander down a well? He didn't seem to know, and certainly neither Ben nor Theo threw him down there. If an Abbie had found him he would have eaten him, not thrown him down the well. So what the hell was he doing down there? They do shit like this on this show for dramatic effect without expecting the audience to question it. Just like how the first season started with Ethan waking up on the side of a road - they never did explain what the hell he was doing out there!

Like everyone else I'm wondering why in the hell Megan or anyone else is so fired up about getting all the kids pregnant when they apparently don't even have enough food to go around (except for fudge, red vines and corn-flavored ice cream. Oh, and booze.) That doesn't even make sense. Not that anything on this show makes much sense, but . . .

I can see where maybe Megan is obsessed with Pilcher's vision and plans for their new utopia, but the town is currently in the hands of adolescents who shouldn't give a red rat's ass about what Pilcher wanted. Aside from Jason did any of them even know Pilcher? I have a hard time believing all these kids would just mindlessly follow a few brown shirts and an even harder time believing the adults in town would stand for it.

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who the hell put Xander down a well? He didn't seem to know, and certainly neither Ben nor Theo threw him down there. If an Abbie had found him he would have eaten him, not thrown him down the well. So what the hell was he doing down there? They do shit like this on this show for dramatic effect without expecting the audience to question it. Just like how the first season started with Ethan waking up on the side of a road - they never did explain what the hell he was doing out there!

I think we are supposed to believe the abbies did it. He asked bearded guy if the abbies would do something like that. Apparently abbies are not mindless like they previously thought. I love Theo's don't give a fuck attitude that he reserves for Jason.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who the hell put Xander down a well?

Which led to yet another one of my favorite tv tropes.  After winning the death match with the Abbie, crawling up out of a vertical hole and into the sunlight, what does our hero do?  Run off into the woods?  Nope.  Take a look around to see if there are more Abbies in the area?  Nope.  "I think I'll just collapse right here on my back and rest awhile, no matter the danger."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Which led to yet another one of my favorite tv tropes.  After winning the death match with the Abbie, crawling up out of a vertical hole and into the sunlight, what does our hero do?  Run off into the woods?  Nope.  Take a look around to see if there are more Abbies in the area?  Nope.  "I think I'll just collapse right here on my back and rest awhile, no matter the danger."

Yup. It's details like that that make one cringe. The least I would do is run for cover, no matter how tired I am. And then -- and only then -- if I don't see any imminent danger, I might rest for a while.

I haven't been following all of the posts -- has anyone made a connection between Pilcher and Hari Seldon from Asimov's "Foundation" series?

What does Megan propose to do if Lucy won't spread 'em in the interest of humanity's future? Shoot her?

I wonder if the Abbies would in time evolve back into humans. Or something better. Hopefully more stable.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Like everyone else I'm wondering why in the hell Megan or anyone else is so fired up about getting all the kids pregnant when they apparently don't even have enough food to go around (except for fudge, red vines and corn-flavored ice cream. Oh, and booze.) That doesn't even make sense. Not that anything on this show makes much sense, but . . .

It seems like they could make chocolate ice cream if they can make fudge.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, izabella said:

So they don't accidentally kill each other in an abbie melee?

Ain't that the truth -- they really are that inept.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can see where maybe Megan is obsessed with Pilcher's vision and plans for their new utopia, but the town is currently in the hands of adolescents who shouldn't give a red rat's ass about what Pilcher wanted. Aside from Jason did any of them even know Pilcher? I have a hard time believing all these kids would just mindlessly follow a few brown shirts and an even harder time believing the adults in town would stand for it.

Xander was definitely dragged off by an Abbie during the melee outside the fence when the Abbies were building a ramp.  Maybe the Abbie found his/her twu wuv in Xander.

Where is the milk coming from for the ice cream (as we have yet to see a cow or a goat -- I just assumed if they had any that the Abbies ate them all on Invasion Day), chocolate for the fudge (because there ain't no cocoa trees growing anywhere in Idaho), or whatever the hell red vines are made of ?

Here's the odd thing about the brown shirts -- when Ben woke up 3 years and 4 months after the events of Season 1, and he was walking down the street, Jason was wearing a dark blue Wayward Pines sheriff's uniform.  I just find it hard to believe that Jason was pretending to play sheriff for Ben's benefit,

• Love 2
On 6/16/2016 at 10:34 PM, Quickbeam said:

I can't believe I am still watching this. It was even worse than the backstory episode. 

I found myself wondering the same thing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Xander was definitely dragged off by an Abbie during the melee outside the fence when the Abbies were building a ramp.  Maybe the Abbie found his/her twu wuv in Xander.

That would explain why it was so easy for Xander to get him in a choke hold.  "Arrgh, arrgh, safe word, SAFE WORD!!!"  Oh well, too late.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mmazeo said:

This is approaching Under The Dome levels of bad.

It is, that's what happens when you veer so off course from the books that gave S1 a guideline even with its many problems and the terrible cliffhanger where you have bland characters like the Pilcher Youth characters take over the whole show.  You end up with this trainwreck.

• Love 3

I take it that the hairdresser lady and the ice cream shop guy (sorry, terrible with names and scrolling through other posts to figure it out confused me more) were a couple up until he got booted from WP and her husband showed up. Maybe their love blossomed when she was lovingly designing the ice cream shop, in her last assignment as an architect. But I guess her design was a big hit because EVERYONE is all about McConigles Ice Cream and Sweets Shop that no one gives a damn about last season's hot spot, The Biergarten, home of the famous buffalo burger. Where else to go after a big night on the town seeing Pines! The Musical? Or I guess since WP is all about setting up the tween set on hot dates, it makes sense that the candy and ice cream shop is now the hottest restaurant in town.

Hey folks, let's make lots of new babies even though we don't have food.  We have chocolate and liquor though.  Perfect vacation spot.

Who's going to take care of all of these pregnant kids? What about pregnancy complications? 11 year olds aren't really built to have babies and sometimes when you get your period that young, it doesn't come again for a couple of years. But let's have the little girl raped anyway!  Why hasn't anyone wheeled Megan outside the wall and left her there?  Why couldn't they find a better wig for Adam?  How did he keep his teeth clean? 

Even the guys watching the video feeds have Nazi uniforms.  Maybe I missed that earlier.  I don't watch that carefully. 

We should just have a show about the abbies.  There's a teeny grain of an idea about the last humans and the world of the abbies but it's buried under a load of..stuff.  Boring, icky, cluttering stuff.  Maybe Jason will get punched in the face repeatedly.  That would be cool.

• Love 2

The only reason I started watching is season was that it was saved on my DVR from last year. Wow, is this incredibly bad. I imagine  that the actors from last year were begging to be killed off just to get out of this dreck. 

Or I guess since WP is all about setting up the tween set on hot dates,

That's another thing. Why do they have to put so much effort into convincing the kids to procreate with propaganda posters and whatnot when they are being forcibly thrown into breeding rooms whether they want to or not? It would be like the Nazis inundating the Jews with propaganda about how wonderful and lovely their internment camps are before rounding them up and shipping them there.

There's no logic to this story - the people who are running things are trying to put a happy face on everything before they round up rebels and publicly execute them. What's the point of keeping up the pretense when everyone knows that's exactly what it is?

• Love 1

I think Under the Dome actually made more sense than this show, and was more plausible.

I keep watching episodes of WP in the hopes that it starts to make sense, but I think I'm going to end up severely disappointed.  Which is a shame, because I love post-apocalyptic shit like this.