Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm guessing that since Jack had to get into Vietnam photos to see him means that's as long as he lived, and also that his death is probably part of Jack's anger at his father.  I think it'd be weird for Jack to have two estranged family members.  Plus now we have another looming death to dread, once we get to know Nicky.  It'll add greater stakes to the Vietnam scenes since we know Jack survives.  

And it would shed light on his father's contempt of Jack when we see him right before he meets Rebecca.  Though he was generally awful to begin with, he may have been throwing some blame regarding his other son's death.  It would also tie into Jack feeling that meeting Rebecca saved his life, he may have been really in a hellish place after Vietnam. 

I do have to wonder, though, if maybe he died later.  I agree that looking in the somewhat buried Vietnam photo points toward his death there.  But did that older woman who Jack was going to do some auto repair for know the family?  She remarked that he was not messed up like a lot of vets, and I doubt she would have said that had she known about the younger brother.  I can't remember if she was a friend or neighbor of the family already, or if she was just a customer of the auto shop.

1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

And it would shed light on his father's contempt of Jack when we see him right before he meets Rebecca.  Though he was generally awful to begin with, he may have been throwing some blame regarding his other son's death.  It would also tie into Jack feeling that meeting Rebecca saved his life, he may have been really in a hellish place after Vietnam. 

I do have to wonder, though, if maybe he died later.  I agree that looking in the somewhat buried Vietnam photo points toward his death there.  But did that older woman who Jack was going to do some auto repair for know the family?  She remarked that he was not messed up like a lot of vets, and I doubt she would have said that had she known about the younger brother.  I can't remember if she was a friend or neighbor of the family already, or if she was just a customer of the auto shop.

She didn't really seem to know Jack that well. I never got the vibe that she was a family friend. Her whole vibe was that Jack was this nice young man who fixed her car for her, and not much beyond that.

• Love 1

I continue to be amazed at how few spoilers leak out. There is almost always some twist in each episode and it never gets out, not from the people involved with the show itself or from the after show stuff or anything. Remarkable.

The show seems to take spoilers very seriously, to their credit.  They're going to great lengths to keep major twists quiet, like filming the scene of Rebecca in front of the burnt house way out of LA and very near the air date.

1 hour ago, AriAu said:

I continue to be amazed at how few spoilers leak out. There is almost always some twist in each episode and it never gets out, not from the people involved with the show itself or from the after show stuff or anything. Remarkable.

Speaking of spoilers, does anybody know where one can find press releases and promo pics in advance? The site spoilerTV always has both + sneak peeks but only for the next episode and nothing beyond that. I know from other shows like Grey's Anatomy that official press releases as well as promo pictures are published 2-3 weeks in advance. Is this just something that's not happening for this show or am I looking in all the wrong places?

2 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

Speaking of spoilers, does anybody know where one can find press releases and promo pics in advance? The site spoilerTV always has both + sneak peeks but only for the next episode and nothing beyond that. I know from other shows like Grey's Anatomy that official press releases as well as promo pictures are published 2-3 weeks in advance. Is this just something that's not happening for this show or am I looking in all the wrong places?

I believe the show is going on winter hiatus after the next episode, which is why there is no press release or photos.  They'll show up a few weeks before the show returns.

4 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I found this on the SpoilerTV site. Episode 2.10:

"THIS IS US"
"NUMBER THREE"

11/28/2017 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : Randall and Beth are faced with a hard choice. Jack takes Randall on a college tour.

Episode 2.09:

"THIS IS US"
"NUMBER TWO"

11/21/2017 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : Kate and Toby's lives take an unexpected turn. Meanwhile, Rebecca encourages Kate's singing aspirations.

Nothing for 2.08, though.

3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Would the 11/28 episode be the last until 2018?

Yeah, most likely. They need to take a break so that they can come back with the last eight episodes for January. Plus, it definitely looks like a trilogy of episodes, which might leave off with a Randall-centric cliffhanger (since Randall's is the last story). 

Now, looking at the press release now for the next three episodes, it looks like Randall and Beth may be facing the possibility of losing Deja. Now, it's ridiculous if Deja's mom is already out of jail, unless her mom got a super good lawyer to get her out, but that's the only hard choice I could think of them facing. I'm also willing to bet that we'll get an answer to the big Jack Mystery that they insist on dragging out.

Kate/Toby's unexpected turn? Either she loses the baby, or she learns that she's having twins (or triplets). I totally expect the latter half. I don't think they'd kill off Kate's baby only a few episodes into discovering her pregnancy.

Of course Kevin gets the first story, I guess to get his out of the way so Kate and Randall can have the last two. It looks like we'll see Kevin's injury and the dog tag scene there, which will be good.

12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Kate/Toby's unexpected turn? Either she loses the baby, or she learns that she's having twins (or triplets). I totally expect the latter half. I don't think they'd kill off Kate's baby only a few episodes into discovering her pregnancy.

Shouldn't they know by 10 weeks that there are multiples? 

Great point, it didn't occur to me that the foster system would have looked for relatives to take Randall in if they knew such relatives existed. Even if William didn't have any close relatives, what about the relatives of Randall's biological mother? I don't remember the show mentioning or showing them but, for all we know, they could have been happy to take him in or at least to get to know him.  It really was unfair of Rebecca not to think about this when deciding not to tell anyone about William. I wonder if the biological mother's relatives will come up in a future storyline.

(From Paloma)

I will be surprised if they don't.  I think the fact that they featured her last season, and didn't just have her be totally unseen, coupled with Randall's having gone looking for his biological father, almost guarantees it.  I think it will play into the whole situation of Deja and her mother triggering Randall to go looking.  I mean, if I were writing, that's where I'd go. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think the fact that they featured her last season, and didn't just have her be totally unseen, coupled with Randall's having gone looking for his biological father, almost guarantees it.  I think it will play into the whole situation of Deja and her mother triggering Randall to go looking.  I mean, if I were writing, that's where I'd go. 

I would, too, and now I'm actually excited about the possibility and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Though I guess they only have room for so many characters and plot lines.

• Love 2

That would be nice, finding his bio Mom, she existed, she loved him, they would like to know I'm sure they had a grandson....but , why wouldn't William  have mentioned them? All that time they spent together, the poems, etc. and no mention of his mom or where he could find out more about her. Could he just not have known?

I think because of her age, Kate with twins is a good option. Over 35 is common for fraternal twins. I was 34.  I knew at 5 months.

I hope they don't drag out Kevin's fall and teary cry for help. Will he ask or be found passed out by Randall or Kate? It just seems so obvious and Kate knows he is close to abusing. It's been done so much and with Jack drinking and Randall anxious, you don't need so much going on at once.

Edited by debraran
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Calling it- by season's end, Deja goes back home to her mother, and Randall and Beth next take in the deaf 4-year old girl.

And because Randall is so type A and this show is so overwrought, he will make it his mission to make the girl hear again. Take her to the best NYC ear doctors, research experimental procedures, try to school members of the deaf community who don't view deafness as a disability, etc.

ETA: Which makes me wonder, are there no deaf couples in the greater NYC area who want to adopt/foster deaf children?  Obviously there wouldn't be many, but there should at least be some.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

And because Randall is so type A and this show is so overwrought, he will make it his mission to make the girl hear again. Take her to the best NYC ear doctors, research experimental procedures, try to school members of the deaf community who don't view deafness as a disability, etc.

ETA: Which makes me wonder, are there no deaf couples in the greater NYC area who want to adopt/foster deaf children?  Obviously there wouldn't be many, but there should at least be some.

And they all will learn sign language in a type A way. lol

There are many families who adopt deaf children or children with hearing problems (some can get implant that helps them) but it's TV and dramatic.  If she said, I have an adorable little girl who's loving but has autism or is blind or has a physical handicap, it might have been more understandable than deaf. This show plays on "sad" though. Still waiting for the laughs that the producer said was coming this season.

• Love 5

My impression was the deaf 4-year-old was from Kitty Foreman's 'history of tough case worker moments', and said child is probably grown now. 

I too thought deafness was a weird choice.  I don't think that would scare off many foster parents.  I guess they needed a disability that the bio parents inflicted through neglect.  

5 hours ago, debraran said:

There are many families who adopt deaf children or children with hearing problems (some can get implant that helps them) but it's TV and dramatic.  If she said, I have an adorable little girl who's loving but has autism or is blind or has a physical handicap, it might have been more understandable than deaf. This show plays on "sad" though. Still waiting for the laughs that the producer said was coming this season.

Yes, that's true, but when my parents heard that we were considering a special needs child abroad, they nearly FREAKED OUT.  I know that's a grandparents thing, but when you come from a culture where you're supposed to respect one's elders, it's HARD!!!!!  We aren't adopting anymore because of the long wait and the kids proposed to us had very specialized needs which we were not ready for :( Fostering-to-adopt isn't really an option for us (again, it has to do with the family issues I may have/the child may face (especially from the social workers' POV)

• Love 1
On 11/8/2017 at 6:10 AM, PRgal said:

Shouldn't they know by 10 weeks that there are multiples? 

I think they should have known from the first ultrasound, which was at 6 weeks or earlier.  From my limited understanding of such things, I think it is possible to "miss" a twin if the two fetuses are lined up *just right,* but come on....

• Love 1
On 11/9/2017 at 10:38 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

My impression was the deaf 4-year-old was from Kitty Foreman's 'history of tough case worker moments', and said child is probably grown now. 

I too thought deafness was a weird choice.  I don't think that would scare off many foster parents.  I guess they needed a disability that the bio parents inflicted through neglect.  

I thought Kitty said specifically that the girl is 4 years old now, and can't get placed because of deafness.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:21 AM, debraran said:

But Randall will have a change of heart when Marlee Matlin shows up to school him on the wonderful things that even deaf people can accomplish, like winning an Oscar at the age of 21.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

Anyone think the house was a new house and not the one they were living in? That might explain why things were saved and not burned, pictures, Kevin's airplanes, VHS tapes, etc. An idea someone thought of since he always wanted to build one. My thoughts were they kids were older now though and why another house?

10 minutes ago, debraran said:

Anyone think the house was a new house and not the one they were living in? That might explain why things were saved and not burned, pictures, Kevin's airplanes, VHS tapes, etc. An idea someone thought of since he always wanted to build one. My thoughts were they kids were older now though and why another house?

It's a good thought, but then they maybe would not need to stay at Miguel's afterward. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

It's a good thought, but then they maybe would not need to stay at Miguel's afterward. 

Unless that was to not be alone. Either way it will be interesting to see when Miguel got a new opportunity in Texas and a fresh start for him too. I would like to think the writers had a rubric they used and went back to for scripts but I feel a lot is done in the moment too and by interest.  I think writers in a long show (this is only 1 year but flashbacks make it longer in a way) hope the fans don't pay that much attention to continuity and just look at the focus points. Not with this show, if William said he knew his Dad and then another time said he died when he was very young, they notice, and so many little things. It's hard to write, but there should be someone who says, "Wait, we said this already".

The producer did say the notebook wasn't singed because it was used that day, not in the fire and the causes of the fire is heartbreaking.  : (

Edited by debraran
On 11/9/2017 at 4:21 AM, debraran said:

I don’t think it’s odd a deaf child would be hard to place. Many deaf children born to hearing parents grow up socially and emotionally distant from their own biological families because no one bothers learning to sign, and the parents take no time to learn about Deaf culture at all; so I can certainly see how a deaf child would seem like a “bother” to many hearing foster parents. 

I think deafness was chosen because you cannot SEE it (especially from a photograph). People tend to be more understanding/accepting of physical disablities because you can see them (im sure there are a variety of psychological reasons for this)- I’m not ignoring members of the deaf community who don’t view Deafness as a disability. 

Edited by Scarlett45

So, I found this post-interview with Justin Hartley:

Do you think Kevin has been aware of the parallels between his addiction and his father’s?

The injury happened, and I think there was a moment where he didn’t want to take the medication for fear that he would go down that path. I don’t think he just took it and thought, “Well, whatever.” I think he is aware of the gene in the family, that they’re all addicts, more than anyone else. He sees what Kate goes through and what his dad went through, and he’s aware that he has that in him. And so, when he finally chooses to take the medication, I think it was just because the pain was legitimately too much, and he didn’t want to fail at anything, and he was going to go to whatever lengths to succeed at this one thing and that it would be fine [because] he only needed it for a second. But of course that’s not how that stuff works. And I think once he was in that state of being high and drunk and depressed and alone, he just kept shoveling crap on top of himself. He was the one inflicting pain on himself, and he’s not capable of dealing with it. And once he was in that state of f–ked up, I don’t think much was going through his head about drawing the parallels, it was just, “How can I feel sorry for myself and inflict as much pain because I deserve it?” It was just a self-loathing, awful place.

This seems that I was wrong about Kevin already having a previous addiction. I truly believed that he was just relapsing, but this answer seems to say the opposite. 

However, I do like Justin's answers about this addiction storyline. He's very well-spoken about it. He's really gotten into Kevin's mindset, admitting that Kevin's making bad choices and is being an ass, but also trying to give some sympathy and understanding with his character. Unlike other actors, who try to explain away all the bad in their characters, from what I find in other interviews. I don't want to compare Justin to Milo, but I do feel like when I read Milo interviews, he promotes the Saint Jack ideal. But Justin, he says things like this:

But sometimes when you’re that messed up, you’re not thinking clearly and you do reprehensible things.

Yeah, and one of the things that happens with Kevin is that I think he’s aware of the fact that he doesn’t really want to bring anyone else down there with him. That’s a kid — she’s probably 18 in the show, but that’s a child, and he’s 37 years old. And also, he’s not in a position where he’s trying to have company. The whole Charlotte thing happened, in my mind, because he’s smart enough to realize that she’s a doctor and has access to something that he needs. I think that was a calculated move on his part.

It does work really well for me. 

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I found this post-interview with Justin Hartley:

This seems that I was wrong about Kevin already having a previous addiction. I truly believed that he was just relapsing, but this answer seems to say the opposite. 

However, I do like Justin's answers about this addiction storyline. He's very well-spoken about it. He's really gotten into Kevin's mindset, admitting that Kevin's making bad choices and is being an ass, but also trying to give some sympathy and understanding with his character. Unlike other actors, who try to explain away all the bad in their characters, from what I find in other interviews. I don't want to compare Justin to Milo, but I do feel like when I read Milo interviews, he promotes the Saint Jack ideal. But Justin, he says things like this:

It does work really well for me. 

I agree about Justin's interviews. I really love that he seems to understand the complexities of his character. I've been reading up on his POV all day.

• Love 2

I love EW’s article too. This question and answer really sticks out to me:

When you read that twist in the script, what was the first thought that raced through your head?

My first thought was, “Oh, sh—, I thought we hit rock bottom with Kevin but I guess not.” It’s in his DNA to try to handle things on his own, and unless he gets some kind of revelation for no reason, he’s going to try to tackle this on his own, and that’s not going to go well.

So Kevin is going to try and get sober by himself...so I wonder if he’s going get really sick or overdose from trying to take something to tide him over.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

So Kevin is going to try and get sober by himself...so I wonder if he’s going get really sick or overdose from trying to take something to tide him over.

He's definitely going to be trying to tackle this on his own, while he's dealing with Kate's miscarriage. I wouldn't be surprised if she pushes him away because she's angry about the miscarriage but also taking part of it out on Kevin because he wasn't there for her. She'll be too distracted to see what Kevin's going through as well. I just want to know what Randall's reason will be for not seeing Kevin's spiral. Maybe he loses Deja? She could be taken out of their home for his special episode. 

I do think Kevin's rock bottom moment will be an accidental overdose. But, unlike my certainty before last night's episode, now I'm not so sure it'll happen in the mid-season finale. They may want to drag it out more, especially since Justin confirmed somewhere that he might only be in one of the future episodes for a scene, much like Randall's brief scene here. I also assume Randall's episode is the mid-season finale. 

ETA: This is the article that mentions that Justin is only in one or both of the trilogy episodes briefly. He doesn't even know which ones he'll be in for sure. I'll bet he's in Randall's episode at the end of the episode. However, it's unclear about him being in Kate's episode.

Also, another excellent article to read.

Edited by Lady Calypso
Added an article link
  • Love 1

I thought it was odd that Kevin didn't have this experience with drugs when he broke his leg the first time. You don't go through a bone break like that with nothing. His dad was ill then with alcohol  but maybe they will show more of that later. His reaction was like many addicts who are  trying to stay sober. I know a guy who wont get dental work or other surgery just to not relapse again. The fear of the drug was because he knew what would happen. If the doctors know ahead of time,  they get you help but it's hard to keep doing it I'm sure. It just doesn't seem true to life, the really fast addiction and not asking for help. He doesn't even go to a doctor and ask for another, he calls, you need to be seen. Other drugs that aren't as addicting, are usually offered before the denial. I see it daily in an Ortho office.

I hope Kate's show is more of her younger. I understand the miscarriage is painful but except for a spoiled and slightly heavy childhood, we don't know much about her as a person. What did she like to do, what did she want to be as an adult, why was college for her, an afterthought, what kind of student was she?  Kate is always the heavy one, spoiled by her dad, but  kind of a one dimensional character.  I struggle to like her at times because of her negativity so I hope next week highlights the younger, more fun Kate.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 11/15/2017 at 0:36 PM, SnoGirl said:

I love EW articles so much. I have a ritual every Tuesday night. First watch the show, then go on Twitter, then read the EW article (s) (very thorough!), and finally read this message board. 

Edited by Violetgoblin6
Wrong topic

My source says teen Kate is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. There's a poster in her room, but it's a poster from the movie, not TV show. Supposedly, the episode is kind of "artsy" with the flashbacks, especially in the first half of the episode (but supposedly "not in a bad way").

On 11/15/2017 at 0:46 PM, Lady Calypso said:

... Justin confirmed somewhere that he might only be in one of the future episodes for a scene, much like Randall's brief scene here. I also assume Randall's episode is the mid-season finale. 

ETA: This is the article that mentions that Justin is only in one or both of the trilogy episodes briefly. He doesn't even know which ones he'll be in for sure. I'll bet he's in Randall's episode at the end of the episode. However, it's unclear about him being in Kate's episode.

I asked about this. Justin/Adult Kevin is only in one brief scene in the next episode, and it's Kate's memory of a scene previously shown on the show. I don't recall a mention of adult Randall appearing in the next episode, at all. Justin might not even consider this one as his appearance, since he wouldn't have had to film the scene twice. Source says it was definitely re-used footage. 

I hear there is a Kate/Rebecca moment. Also, "Toby continues to do big things, but it won't make you roll your eyes as much as the pregnancy announcement did."

Cryptic spoiler tease: onions make cooks cry.

• Love 3

With Kate's miscarriage and Randall possibly losing Deja to her mother, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Kevin is going to hit the baby jackpot.  Either Sophie is pregnant, or Sloan or Olivia turn up with a babe in arms.  Probably the latter. 

7 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

With Kate's miscarriage and Randall possibly losing Deja to her mother, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Kevin is going to hit the baby jackpot.  Either Sophie is pregnant, or Sloan or Olivia turn up with a babe in arms.  Probably the latter. 

I was about to say that we're too far away, time-wise, for it to be Sloane or Olivia....but then I realized you were talking about a baby who has already been born.  Possible... but please, by all that is holy, no!  I'm not interested in seeing either Kate or Kevin be a parent at the moment, but definitely not Kevin.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if this DOES happen (and I think it is a distinct possibility...yuck!), it will be Sophie.  They made the actress a season regular this season and she's barely had anything to do.

• Love 2

I kind of doubt they'd do that now but I said the same thing about a Kate pregnancy.  But I think the 'surprise, meet your baby' thing is so overdone.  And Kevin is more interesting as the single heartthrob who can't commit to one woman for long than a single dad or married dad, to me, at least.  

6 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Also, I'm pretty sure that if this DOES happen (and I think it is a distinct possibility...yuck!), it will be Sophie.  They made the actress a season regular this season and she's barely had anything to do.

I didn't know that, so yeah, probably mama Sophie.  These TV families tend to expand. 

7 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I was about to say that we're too far away, time-wise, for it to be Sloane or Olivia....but then I realized you were talking about a baby who has already been born.  Possible... but please, by all that is holy, no!  I'm not interested in seeing either Kate or Kevin be a parent at the moment, but definitely not Kevin.

They have had to hid Alexandra's pregnancy and she is due soon so will probably be on maternity leave for a bit. 

I honestly have thought that it would totally turn out that Sophie had a pregnancy that she hid from Kevin while they were divorcing, and then gave up the kid for adoption. Or perhaps they had some post-divorce, one last time kind of goodbye sex, and that led to Sophie getting pregnant, meaning that they have a kid in their early teens somewhere.

One thing's clear- I think Alexandra's pregnancy threw the writers a curve ball, and I think she would have shown up a lot more in this season if she had not gotten pregnant.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Kevin's break-up with Sophie may always have featured in the plan for season 2. We've been told there is a three-season arc, and the pacing of the plot does feel that way. The Big Three's stories seem to be following the traditional three-act "boy gets girl/boy loses girl/boy gets girl back" scheme.

This season is the second act: loss (past and present), and how each protagonist continues to be shadowed by Jack's death. The turning point will begin as each of the Big Three finally re-visits that loss, with this current three-parter. Throughout the season, all four of Jack's survivors will eventually have to reckon with how, in the 20 years since his death, they have tried to bargain with life to avoid any more such brutal shocks.

The core of Season 2 was foreshadowed at the end of season 1, when Jack was heading out the door to begin his brief separation from Rebecca. He told her that the kids would be fine, and we flashed forward to images of Kate unpacking in her new home with Toby, Kevin's kissing Sophie good-bye and heading back to LA to make the movie, and Randall with his family, mourning William. 

Jack was wrong but Jack was right: the kids will be fine, just not yet. Twenty years later, they still aren't there, and there's clearly deeper pain ahead this year. But the events of Season 1 were also the beginning of their turning the corner, and how they choose to survive the pain of Season 2 -- this time, not through repression or isolation -- will set them up for Season 3. (Watch out, Miguel: I'm afraid you're in line for a health crisis, to expose what Rebecca's second marriage really means to her, and how none of the siblings have really confronted it.)

Next year, I imagine, is where all four protagonists will resolve their half-hearted (Kate and Kevin) or faint-hearted (Randall and Rebecca) investments in life, since Jack's death. They'll re-commit to the world without him, and to each other. And by embracing those who are right there with them, they'll experience something larger: the non-temporal connection that Kevin portrayed in his painting. The connection where they understand what is, was, and always will be us.

• Love 6

I know we just throw reality out the window but there's no way Deja's mom would just be allowed to take her like that. Caseworkers don't just hand out home addresses and say just drop by and get your kid.

• Love 3

I haven't seen the promo yet, but how is Deja's mom even out of jail already? Didn't Randall say, or at least imply, that she'd be in jail for a while? What, did her trial go better than expected and she was let out? Did she just happen to have a super good lawyer? 

I figured this would be the hard road, but I always had the thought in the back of my mind that it felt unrealistic. 

Also, Randall and Beth have only had Deja for a couple of months. I don't think custody would go to them, unless they're really good at convincing Deja's mom to sign over her rights.

This is stupid. I have a feeling that I won't like this Number Three episode. Well, the trilogy started off strong for me. 

ETA: Ok, I guess the charges were dropped. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

Gosh, who didn't see Deja's mom getting her back and that Randall wants to fight for custody coming? RME.

I just can't get invested in this. Deja is not a baby that was raised in Randall's family for years. It's been a couple of months. Yes, it's sad that Deja doesn't get to spend her teen years living in the lap of comfort with the Pearsons, but she is not their daughter and they were only meant to be placeholders.

29 minutes ago, Bean421 said:

know we just throw reality out the window but there's no way Deja's mom would just be allowed to take her like that. Caseworkers don't just hand out home addresses and say just drop by and get your kid.

Did the writers do any actual research into what fostering is like? If the writers can't be bothered to do their job to make this seem based in reality, why should I give a shit?

I think I'm skipping this episode.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Bean421 said:

I know we just throw reality out the window but there's no way Deja's mom would just be allowed to take her like that. Caseworkers don't just hand out home addresses and say just drop by and get your kid.

We'll have to see how they are going to frame this, I'm sure in real life there would be paperwork galore and time delays and the mother couldn't just show up and take the child.  But if charges were dropped, then it seems the immediate reason Deja was placed would be resolved.  We don't know if there was a whole lot more to the need for foster placement this particular time.  I don't know where they're going with this as far as the Number Three episode and how they tie it into flashbacks.  It may be that Randall has an awakening about how Deja belongs with her mother if it is at all possible, and he may see that it is possible and he's fighting the wrong battle.

C

I know we just throw reality out the window but there's no way Deja's mom would just be allowed to take her like that. Caseworkers don't just hand out home addresses and say just drop by and get your kid.

Did the writers do any actual research into what fostering is like? If the writers can't be bothered to do their job to make this seem based in reality, why should I give a shit?

Considering the show’s implication that if your third triplet dies at birth, the hospital will comp you with an abandoned infant, I would guess the writers didn’t do any research.

• Love 15

Because

3 hours ago, TwoGrayTabbies said:

Considering the show’s implication that if your third triplet dies at birth, the hospital will comp you with an abandoned infant, I would guess the writers didn’t do any research.

Yes, and most mom's of twins, need a third child more than anyone else. I understand the heart string pull but it did suspend reality a bit. I'm glad they at least made her a little hesitant and that she had to mourn Kyle. If he was born, I don't know if he ever took a breath, but a picture, a burial, something. She knew them all for 9 months, I find it hard to absorb that as a mom with twins, except that Randall was inserted and then it would seem like he was a replacement and she never wanted him to feel that way.

• Love 2

So, if we follow the formula set-up by the first two episodes, Randall's drama is going to happen during Kevin's and Kate's. Randall seemed kinda short with Kevin. I don't know if that's the right word I'm searching for...he definitely looked exhausted when he opened the door to Kevin. Also, he was alone. That house is massive, but maybe it's a clue to the outcome?

I can't imagine Deja not going back to her mother. I'm surprised Randall didn't read this in his research, foster kids get bounced a lot...especially with parents in jail.

Kevin's addicting is kinda haunting me. My brain won't turn off to how his story is going to end. Will the Big Three have a big fight which pushes Kevin over the edge? Will someone figuring something out push him closer to the edge? The only thing I thought was certain was that Randall was going to find him. But now, I'm wondering if Kevin's story is setting up how we find out Jack's demise and it'll parallel his. They definitely got me, it was smart to start with Kevin because now I'm dying to know more information. It's almost like a winter break finale, I know I don't have to wait a super long time but just long enough to drive me batty.

• Love 3

@kissedbyarose wrote in the Number 2 thread....

Did Kate take any vocal/music lessons or was she just hoping to get into Berklee based on raw talent? That scene just reminded me of what happened when she went to that audition. People put years and years of practice and study into these things! 

My guess is that Kate never went to Berklee--not because she didn't get in, but because of Jack's death.  They are trying to make it look like Jack died shortly after the time Kevin broke his leg and Kate was going to send in her audition for Berklee and we know from other episodes that Kate pretty much shut down after Jack's death.  Whether or not Kate would get into Berklee is probably a moot question (I doubt she would), because I don't think the tape was ever sent in.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Whether or not Kate would get into Berklee is probably a moot question (I doubt she would), because I don't think the tape was ever sent in.

Highly unlikely she would get in even if she sent in the application and tape--see my comment in the episode thread.

I saw this quote while reading an article on the show and for me, still is one of the saddest. It was between Kevin and Kate "in the 20's" episode.

"Where are you at?" Kevin asks Kate, revealing he hadn't had an audition in nearly a year. "You still sittin' in your car, eating fast food and staring at where the house used to be?"

"He's gone," Kevin continues. "OK? And he's not coming back. Even if you sit there, in the exact same spot where you were when he left… he's not coming back."

I wonder why another 10 years goes by and she still is stuck in that mode. I suppose they will catch us up when they finally have the funeral and can move beyond the hype.

• Love 1