Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville Has Been Cancelled

With the hideous writing this season, I'm not surprised. It's been Nashville's worst season so far. Extra characters we don't care about, less music, storylines that made zero sense week to week, it's felt ad libbed, not scripted.

I'll miss the show, but it gave me some people I'll follow to new projects. And some I'll avoid forever. This show had a lot of promise, but it got away from the heart of the original story, Rayna navigating her midlife and Juliette growing wiser after causing chaos. 

• Love 9

I just want one thing when the show ends: for Will to get some form of happiness either professionally (as in he gets a hit song as a result of the naysayers) or personally as in he finds love.

Well that and Avery wakes up and gets the hell away from the psycho.

• Love 6

Well, crap.  I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but given our current trajectory, there's no time to fix this Maddie disaster or reunite Juliette and Avery.

Now I wish we didn't know about the new showrunners.  Seems kinda unfair to name them, publicize the change, and then not let them actually have a chance to do anything.

• Love 7

UGH First I hear that Castle is ending and then this one. I have lost 3 shows now this season. Thanks Disney for cutting your budget in for everything in the company but your higher ups paychecks/bonuses! Not sure if this is another issue from the #ThanksShanghi but if so UGH!!!!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, CreamedPeas said:

How does this work? Have they already shot the finale so we won't get anything tied up? Or will they change it and redo the finale? 

Usually, unless the writers of a series have anticipated the possibility of cancellation and written accordingly or prepared an alternate ending, we'll be stuck with whatever they filmed (which I've read rumors saying is a cliffhanger).

• Love 2

Maybe a cable station will pick it up.  CMT or something.  I hope so.  I need to see these story lines tied up.  I want Maddie to come crawling back.  I want Will to find love.  I want Cash to go to jail or something.  Grrr...

• Love 9

For me the saddest thing about the cancellation is that I won't get to see the team from MSCL who created such reslistic and complex characters and relationships get to fix Nashville and elevate it beyond the dreck that it has turned into. 

• Love 14

I love Nashville, and I'm in denial. I am rioting in the streets tonight--full-on flipping police cars and throwing trash cans through store windows.

In other news, I guess I don't have to watch this week's Containment, which is waiting for me on my TiVo.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

Rats. This season has been a hot mess, but I was looking forward to seeing what the new show runners would do with it. 

Me too. Oh well, with The Good Wife and Nashville gone, that frees up a couple of hours for the new season.

Of course, being a soap fan, I've seen more than my fair share of writing teams try to clean up the mess they inherited, and it's never a pretty sight. But, I love the shows  Zwick and Herskowitz created, while Nashville had indeed become a hot mess, there was still a lot of potential. Shame we won't get to see it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

That's a damn shame ... I thought it was actually starting to turn around!

Part of what dragged this season down was having Juliette gone for so long.  This is in no way either Hayden or the show's fault.  I feel like they should have been given a chance to have a strong fifth season with Juliette there the whole time.

And the Maddie story (as over the top as it is) is actually something different and interesting.  We won't be able to see that play out, now.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

I'm reading that Hayden is going back in for treatment for her Post-Partum Depression. She posted something about "taking time" on her twitter feed yesterday, and US Weekly is reporting that she checked herself back in.  I wonder if that had any bearing on the cancellation decision?

Wishing her healing and hope. 

• Love 3

It's their own damn fault, they had to know the storylines were crap, & all the extra people they keep adding don't add a thing to the show.

• Love 3

Not too surprising with how all over the place this season has been. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For me the saddest thing about the cancellation is that I won't get to see the team from MSCL who created such reslistic and complex characters and relationships get to fix Nashville and elevate it beyond the dreck that it has turned into. 

I definitely think this is the biggest bummer. I was really looking forward that. Oh, well. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

On a happier note: Does this mean Charles Esten can go on Whose Line is It Anyway now?

Is there going to be a remake?

1 hour ago, LekoBoy said:

Spoiler alert:

Hide contents

On next week's episode, Will Lexington finally has his "happy ending" when country music legend Sir Elton John guest stars.

Since when is 

Spoiler

Elton John a country music legend? 

Stupid show

• Love 2

Im really bummed that Nashville is cancelled. I know this season was rough and definitely not its best. But I feel like it deserved to have the new showrunners take a swing at it. At least it deserved an abbreviated s5 to just wrap up storylines.

It's just a shame, because as bad as it could be I felt the acting was always earnest and the music was a welcome change of pace. Perhaps they could have focused more on the music.

I do wonder if another station will pick it up. I could see it fitting on a cable network. To me it doesn't seem like a streaming show. One can only hope :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LekoBoy said:

Spoiler alert:

Hide contents

On next week's episode, Will Lexington finally has his "happy ending" when country music legend Sir Elton John guest stars.

... But he's not performing with Will.

Nobody will pick up this show. This show is radioactive. There's absolutely zero chance. Between new anti-gay laws in TN, and Hayden leaving, and Aubrey Peebles sucking out all the screen time from the show, and Clare Bowen being unable to work with her romantic co-star for three years, and Dee Johnson driving every single storyline into the ground, this one is a goner.

8 minutes ago, GaT said:

Since when is 

Hide contents

Elton John a country music legend? 

Stupid show

Yeah, I didn't quite get that memo either.

Let's face it, folks. If there was ever a show that deserved to be cancelled, it is Nashville. I'm torn between sadness and schadenfreude.

This was a show that always needed "just one more season to wrap it up." The showrunners did this deliberately every year. Each year, they’d write a more atrocious cliffhanger than the last in order to extort the network into renewing it. Finally, ABC had enough of their bullshit.

Yeah, the new writers would most likely have fixed this mess, but the viewer base was already gone, squandered by the creative team’s complete intellectual bankruptcy. Squandered by one million pointless guest stars, magical negros and absolutely offensive plot lines scaring people away from donating organs because you’ll die, scaring people away from coming out as a gay because your career and entire life will be ruined, painting out every regular person in the state as a raging homophobe, scaring people away from seeking help at AA because their sponsors would use their confidential information against them in court, PPD being portrayed as homicidal lunacy, and Layla Grant.

People had enough. This was one of the most brilliant concepts of all time - you had a show promoting a city which was promoting the music which was promoting the show in an endless circle, and they utterly drove it down a cliff.

Dee Johnson should never work on a television series again.

• Love 18

On a happier note: Does this mean Charles Esten can go on Whose Line is It Anyway now?

Is there going to be a remake?

The CW just renewed the latest iteration (which stars Ryan Stiles, Wayne Brady, and Colin Mochrie but is hosted by Aisha Tyler instead of Drew Carey) for a fourth season.

• Love 5

Not surprised. Every season since the second has been a disaster and this is the worst one yet. The Layla-Avery storyline was the nail in the coffin

• Love 2

Though I hated some story lines (Deacon and Beverly), I loved Rayna's character and her relationship with her kids. The resolutions with them were beautifully written. Also loved the music. Sorry to see the show go. #guiltypleasure

• Love 1

I guess now we'll never know what happened to Vida. :-D

I'll miss a lot of the actors but not the show. I can't think of a single episode this season that didn't leave me feeling "meh" or utterly confused.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, MaryM47 said:

I'm reading that Hayden is going back in for treatment for her Post-Partum Depression. She posted something about "taking time" on her twitter feed yesterday, and US Weekly is reporting that she checked herself back in.  I wonder if that had any bearing on the cancellation decision?

Wishing her healing and hope. 

The timing made it seem like she waited until after the announcement to write the post on twitter. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:
27 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

The timing made it seem like she waited until after the announcement to write the post on twitter. 

Which is why I think it's likely that Hayden's decision might well have been a major factor in ABC's decision to cancel. As others have noted, her absence left a big hole in the storytelling this season. The prospect of writing around Juliette for next season, even with Zwick and Herskowitz at the helm, may have seemed not worth the risk, so ABC bit the bullet and cancelled.

So sad for Hayden though. I remember her as little Lizzy Spaulding on Guiding Light, years ago.

• Love 1

I'm sad about this. No matter how bad it got, I still really enjoyed the show. I was hopeful that they still had a bit of time to rewrite the ending with this news but with Hayden checking herself back into rehab, I guess not :(

• Love 1

I checked the time of her post vs. the time tvline announced the cancellation, and it looks like she tweeted her comment about 2 hours before the cancellation became public, perhaps that's when she got the news. 

• Love 1

I kept holding on for what I hoped the show would be, even though it was trash this entire season. I'm not sad that it's ended, but I do wish we would see some resolution to the storylines. I guess that'll never be.

I wish Hayden the best in her treatment and recovery. The way I see it is that she probably came out of treatment to fulfill her obligation, but she wasn't fully recovered yet. Once she realized that the show was over, she decided to check back in. Of course I don't know, I'm just guessing.

• Love 2

What a shame they could never make this show really work the way they should have. Connie Britton was sorely miscast and phoned it in pretty much from day one. Hayden was a highlight but her RL troubles had a lot of impact. I'm not really sad to see the show go, but I am sad for the very talented cast, because there are so few TV/movie opportunities to exploit both your musical skills and your acting skills in the same gig. I went to the Nashville on tour concert kind of on a whim a few weeks ago and was blown away by what talented musicians these folks are. The show never really showcased that talent (and music seemed to take an unfortunate backseat to the soapiness as the seasons progressed) as much as it could have. Chris Carmack is a hell of a blues guitarist--who knew?--and Aubrey Peebles has a really amazing voice that never really stood out on the show. I hope they go on to do other musical things.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I figured she'd held off to give the best chance for renewal then made the announcement after it became clear the show was canceled.

You could be right but I kind of figure the opposite-- she threatened the show with another hospitalization, which helped it get cancelled, so she could be free of it.  I mean, she gave birth 18 months ago.  PPD is usually something you deal with in the first 3 months.  

4 minutes ago, MaryM47 said:

There may yet be a future for Nashville - they are actively shopping it around:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/13/nashville-canceled-season-5

I am 99.9% sure nothing will come from it and that getting your hopes up even in the slightest will only make it more painful, but I will gladly eat all the crow in the world if I'm proven wrong and we get a resolution with the amazing showrunners Lionsgate have appointed.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I saw her announcement on Twitter and immediately thought cancellation was imminent. Up until that point I was optimistic about renewal with new show runners.  The show doesn't work without Hayden.

Now I feel quite sad but at the same time it's not overstating things to say I feel freed up to move on with my life. Nashville never lived up to the show it could have been, but I always felt compelled to hang in there to see if it did.

One other thing - if the unimaginable happens and it gets picked up elsewhere, would the cast be contract bound to continue? I honestly can't imagine Connie Britton wanting to if she had the choice. 

• Love 1