Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I am so tired of Jay. The stupid answer that is bleeped and pixeled was ridiculous. His "kumbaya" shtick was boring. I'm not a fan.

I was even racking my brain trying to think of what he possibly said.  Wasn't it the postman-wife question? Nothing bleeped really correlated to the question very well.  I thought "return to sender" was an obvious gimme. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martha Stewart! Oh wait, that was a bad idea.  Lol

Keegan Michael Key for sure. 

Betty White

Melissa Mccarthy? Maybe? 

I love Ana Gasteyer.  She is one of the best panelists I have seen. 

The lead ladies from Playing House.  I think they would both be good.  Lennon Parham and Jessica St Clair. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, WTF Jay Pharoah and his "hilarious" answer that they can't even show on TV. Didn't he do that last time he was on? Does he think that's his thing now? 

Yes, I think so, and it was tiresome then too. It just slows the momentum of the show.

I dunno, I am not enjoying this series of episodes as much as I did earlier ones. I like Ana because I think she's smart. But I miss Jack McBreyer, who was both funny and smart. And I would love to see more of Niecy Nash, who is also a smart cookie. I enjoyed Rosie O'D's enthusiasm for the players, but from comments she's made, I don't think we'll see her again (she thinks the questions are terrible, and I tend to agree.) 

That woman from Boston was just too much. She's what the term "Masshole" was created for. She didn't even sound like she was Bostonian so I wonder if she's a recent transplant, and thus very try-hard.

11 hours ago, starri said:

Isn't that the second time Ana's done a Schwedy Balls

Actually, if memory serves, I think once the "definitive" answer was Schweddy Balls, and she went in a corny-clean direction for laughs. But yeah, they save the Schweddy Balls questions for her.

• Love 3
Just now, Mumbles said:

She's what the term "Masshole" was created for.

I don't think Alec's "Shut up!" was completely in the name of goofing around.  He seemed genuinely annoyed by her, and was just barely able to hide it.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I dunno, I am not enjoying this series of episodes as much as I did earlier ones. I like Ana because I think she's smart. But I miss Jack McBreyer, who was both funny and smart. And I would love to see more of Niecy Nash, who is also a smart cookie. I enjoyed Rosie O'D's enthusiasm for the players, but from comments she's made, I don't think we'll see her again (she thinks the questions are terrible, and I tend to agree.) 

I tend to agree. I think the panelists are not as fun, but maybe I've just got tired of it. Plus there's so much to watch (particularly Sunday nights) that I'm considering dropping this show. I mean, I'm not going to miss all that much, am I.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, Juanita should have gotten the points. I said Burning Bra, which I thought was THE answer. After Adam showed his -- bush -- I thought that was perfect.

I don't distinguish between Belgian waffles and regular. I mean, I know the difference, but I treat both of them the same: butter and syrup.

I can't believe I didn't think of bra. You're right that it's the definitive answer. And like others here, I can't believe they didn't count bush as a match. It seems like the judges are really inconsistent about when different euphemisms match and when they don't.

Agree about the waffles. Waffles are waffles. Put syrup on them. I thought she'd get at least 4 matches with syrup.

• Love 1

I've really tried to like this show the way I love the 70's/early 80's version. The contestants they pick along with allowing stupid shit like Jay and some others have pulled gets on my nerves so much that it's hard to stay focused on the show. There aren't that many clever or coy answers. I know there were stupid contestants on the older version but they usually gave stupid answers and didn't have personas that were so bad you wanted to throw them through a window or something. This show could be produced an run so much better then it has been so far and it's frustrating that things seem so sloppy at times.

I think it's still pretty fun to watch. The novelty has just worn off a little. But panelists like Jay Pharaoh really piss me off.

I was even racking my brain trying to think of what he possibly said.  Wasn't it the postman-wife question? Nothing bleeped really correlated to the question very well.  I thought "return to sender" was an obvious gimme.

If I'm not mistaken his answer was "cock" because somebody made a reference to it in other terminology that seemed to indicate that's what it was, or a variation of that. And no, it in NO way corresponded to the question. Nor did it the last time he did it. He just thinks it's funny to write that, no matter what the question is.

It's not.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

If I'm not mistaken his answer was "cock" because somebody made a reference to it in other terminology that seemed to indicate that's what it was, or a variation of that. And no, it in NO way corresponded to the question. Nor did it the last time he did it. He just thinks it's funny to write that, no matter what the question is.

It's become his signature go-to response.

• Love 1

Someone commented Rosie O'Donnell on her blog that the Match Game questions were all sexually suggestive and Rosie vehemently agreed.

The charm of the original show was the loopy absurdity of the questions. And yes sometimes the answers were naughty and suggestive but as this was an afternoon show, they were clever about not crossing a line and leaving it to the viewer's imaginations. Writing "cock" as an answer for what the mailman stamped on his gf's thing is just not funny. It doesn't make any sense.

And the contestants don't help. Most of them give dumb answers and a lot of them suffer from the same issue as the celebrities by giving dirty answers that make no sense.

To me the strong point of the show is Baldwin who wrangles the celebrities effectively and does not take himself seriously at all - a huge surprise given what a dickwad he can (allegedly) be.

• Love 4

On the postman one, even though I totally didn't think of it at all, someone said "first class" and I thought that was a decent answer since it is a thing that gets stamped on mail. Still "return to sender" does seem to be the most obvious choice.

Also, if the top answer was "butt", their saying "ass" should not have been a match in that part of the game. Unless they just don't mind people saying "ass" outloud but refuse to print it on this show? That said, I'd have lost since I was thinking "nose". Possibly because my allergies are horrible right now.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Mumbles said:

The charm of the original show was the loopy absurdity of the questions

And that elusive magical chemistry of the panel.  The panel was the show. Obviously Brett and Charles can't be duplicated, but they do need to find people who both "get" the show yet also can mix it up and have fun.  Rosie was sorta perfect for that role, but I guess she got turned off. I still think Mario Cantone has been about the best at it. Ana is wonderful, and Niecy is good. I also want Leslie Jones back.  She just has a fun energy that spread to the whole group. Strange picks like Martha Stewart do not work.  I think it would also be great if they could try to get one old school player on sometime. It amazes me they haven't gotten Betty White at all.  I think she could still do it.  What's Fannie Flagg up to?

But it's strange how you never know. I thought Wendie Malick would be great and pretty savvy, but instead she asks what's up with the mike and wanted to answer in French or whatever.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I love Mario Cantone - very smart, and because I love theater, his imitations and references always crack me up. And I think Alec gets a kick out of him. If he had a foil they could be a good Charles and Brett proxy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought it was funny when Casey Wilson was on the show because when she was a cast member on SNL she was in a sketch that was a Match Game parody:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/its-a-match/n12242?snl=1

I remember at the time trying to figure out who she was supposed to be; I guess it was some kind of a combination of a non-Hispanic Charo-type character mixed with Debralee Scott maybe?

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 2

This show would work better if they had at least a couple of sharp regulars who could be a foil against some of the off the wall absurdity. 

• Love 2

They could assemble a pretty solid panel from most of their more frequent guests, but it would mean throwing off their gender ratio.

TOP:  Adam, Jane Krakowski, Mario or Tituss

BOTTOM:  Cheryl Hines, Niecy Nash or Wayne Brady, Ana

• Love 1
(edited)

1A.  Male Guest Star seat:  Chris?  Standup comic, don't know his last name, but he killed when he was on last./Adam Corrolla

2A.  Brett Somers seat:  Niecy Nash/Jane Krakowski

3A.  Charles Nelson Reilly seat:  Mario Cantone/Titus Burgess

1B.  Elaine Joyce/Blonde Bimbo seat:  Cheryl Hines/Caroline Rhea

2B:  Richard Dawson seat:  Wayne Brady

2C:  Fannie Flagg/Patty Deutsch/Betty White/Marcia Wallace seat:  Ana Gasteyer/Casey Wilson

Hall of Shame/People Who Should Never Darken Match Game's Door Again:  Leah Remini, Martha Stewart, Wendie Malick, Valerie Bertinelli and Jay Pharoah.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Upon reflection, I think I may have the Definitive Panel.

Nipsy Seat:  Adam or Jack McBayer

Brett Seat:  Jane or Niecy

Charles Seat:  Mario or Tituss

Elaine Seat:  Cheryl, Caroline, or Amy Sedaris

Richard Seat:  Wayne or Josh Charles

Fannie Seat:  Ana or Casey

• Love 4
On 5/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, slasherboy said:

For hammer I said (but not in a serious way) "If I had a...".  

And I do believe Ana meant "Arm and..." for hammer.  You know, like the brand name.

I like Adam Corolla.

Adam is by far the funniest person on this version of the show.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:11 AM, iMonrey said:

Ugh, WTF Jay Pharoah and his "hilarious" answer that they can't even show on TV. Didn't he do that last time he was on? Does he think that's his thing now? 

Christine Brinkley has really good surgeons. 

Jay Pharoah is not funny at all. All he contributed to SNL were Denzel Washington, Shaquille O'Neal, and Eddie Murphy impressions. He has very limited range.

Re Adam. A few years ago during the summer CBS did a series of revisiting classic game shows. The one-night Match Game reboot had:

Nipsey seat: George Forman; 

Brett seat: Kathy Griffin

Charles seat: Bruce Vilanch

Elaine seat: the woman who won America's Next Top Model the first season

Richard seat: Adam Carolla

Fanny/Betty seat: Betty White herself!

It was actually a great lineup. They captured the dynamic of the original panel very well.

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Is Betty based on LA now? I forget. If she's NY, they should really just beg her to come back. Although if she's seen the writing from the reboot, I can see her not wanting to.

She has been in LA for a long time.  I even thought they should fly out there and shoot some episodes if they could get her.  She was in the whole first season of To Tell The Truth but wasn't in the episodes that aired this last go round.

Was I the only person to watch last night?  I actually enjoyed the episode, and the panel, and the questions.  Although I don't think anybody matched my answers until the end.  Well I did settle on horse for the Putin question.  I said Lego Man for the toy question, and Golden Banana Hammock for the stripper one.

In the second game, Marshmallow guy was intense.  I thought he was gonna storm the judges when he got ruled against on his first question. (I said Buried). The judges did seem harsher than normal this time.  I feel sorry for the blond woman in the end, when she clearly had no idea who Willie Nelson or Mick Jagger were.  Or if she did, she just had a complete brain fart.  Which has happened to all of us.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

Was I the only person to watch last night?  I actually enjoyed the episode, and the panel, and the questions. 

I watched last night too mainly because there wasn't anything else on that I wanted to watch. I was surprised I enjoyed the whole episode. There were some risque answers but nothing over the top that had to be blurred or beeped out. They had a couple of contestants that weren't airheads. The panel seemed to mesh well. I wish more of the episodes so far had turned out like this.

I had fun watching the latest episode.  Rick Fox is a good looking dude!  

I loved when jerrod, was that his name? Said his name and alec kind of made fun of how to say it, because, i think it was the same way he had said it.  Alec was hilarious tonight, he usually is.  I like his little quips and digs he gets in.  Seems all in fun. 

I was super dissapointed when the lady said Rolling stones.   I couldn't think of  anything and said Rolling Willies.  So I'm no better.  Loved rolling stoners or rolling joints.  Good answers. 

I was so happy to see such a great panel. I didn't know what to expect from Sasheer, but she was pretty sharp, and I didn't know the Star Trek connection to her name.

Jerred was a bit annoying correcting Alec's pronunciation of his name, so I loved how Alec kinda mocked him. 

12 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

In the second game, Marshmallow guy was intense.  I thought he was gonna storm the judges when he got ruled against on his first question.

ITA. Too intense is a good way to put it. I'd hate to watch him gambling and losing. OTOH, I'd hate to watch him gambling and winning. Not an appealing person. 

For the Putin Body Spray bottle, I said bare chest. Actually, there's already a cologne that comes in the shape of a man's torso.

For the bedtime toy, I said Tickle Me Elmo, even though I figured Barbie was "the" answer. 

I said The Golden Pole, and yes that's different from Golden Pole Dancer. (Seems the judges would have accepted that in previous games.)

I was way off in Helen Keller one. I didn't even think about darts, which is the perfect answer. I said I Spy, which is a terrible answer.

For the awkward guy with the poem, I said 'here's a picture of my sack.' I thought that was a great answer, if I do say so myself, which I just did. I didn't even think of crack, which is also good.

The Rolling Stones. Poor Sharla. I said The Rolling Joints, but The Rolling Stoners/Stoned are better.

BTW, what did Tituss say into Alec's mic?

• Love 1

I also think it's cool that they're letting people from other networks be panelists.  In this day and age, you'd think ABC would insist on only ABC or Disney stars.  But even if Netflix has a pretty tight relationship with Disney (Tituss and Jane) and Disney is part owner of Lifetime (Constance), it's cool that they have SNL people or Wayne Brady.

Sasheer was good, too.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For the awkward guy with the poem, I said 'here's a picture of my sack.' I thought that was a great answer, if I do say so myself, which I just did. I didn't even think of crack, which is also good.

That was my answer too.  I too did not think of crack, but that would also be awkward.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, what did Tituss say into Alec's mic?

I think it was something like "Wouldn't you love too?" or something similar.

I loved Titus's and Sasheer's bewilderment at who Billie Jean King was.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For the Putin Body Spray bottle, I said bare chest. Actually, there's already a cologne that comes in the shape of a man's torso.

For the bedtime toy, I said Tickle Me Elmo, even though I figured Barbie was "the" answer. 

I said The Golden Pole, and yes that's different from Golden Pole Dancer. (Seems the judges would have accepted that in previous games.)

I was way off in Helen Keller one. I didn't even think about darts, which is the perfect answer. I said I Spy, which is a terrible answer.

The Rolling Stones. Poor Sharla. I said The Rolling Joints, but The Rolling Stoners/Stoned are better.

I said the same on the cologne. And my grandfather used to wear that torso cologne, which feels weird to me.

Tickle Me Elmo is a *great* answer! Very clever.

I also said Golden Pole (although I considered Golden Pasties), and for once, I agree with the judges on not accepting the match with Pole Dancer.

We are really in sync. I said Joints but agree that Stoners is better.

6 hours ago, starri said:

I know who Billie Jean King is, and I was bewildered at that.  Did they poll the audience at the US Open?

I know this episode was filmed more recently, but they were filming the show right around the US Open so my first thought was the polling must've mostly happened around that time. I'm not certain but I think this films in Queens? If so, with that timing, Billie Jean's being up there isn't surprising since her name would've been all over the news since the Tennis Center is named for her.

As far as I know, Match Game films at the ABC Studios on 66th Street in Manhattan.

I live within walking distance of the Tennis Center and I wouldn't have thought of her.

4 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I said the same on the cologne. And my grandfather used to wear that torso cologne, which feels weird to me.

Tickle Me Elmo is a *great* answer! Very clever.

I also said Golden Pole (although I considered Golden Pasties), and for once, I agree with the judges on not accepting the match with Pole Dancer.

We are really in sync. I said Joints but agree that Stoners is better.

I'm glad to be in sync with someone! *high five*

Billie Jean King was a puzzling answer from the audience. I said Larry King. Maybe that's just as bad.

• Love 1

Of all the panelists this show made a 'star' out of, no one embodied it better than Brett Somers! Originally she had only been put on the show as a concession to her then-husband Jack Klugman who refused to appear as a guest panelist without her. However; she proved such a 'match' that they made HER a permanent edition (and rarely if ever asked Mr. Klugman back). Good or bad, she brought the term 'boobs' into TV vernacular for something other than a stupid person . Moreover, she quite the live wire bantering/arguing with the host Mr. Rayburn, fellow panelists Charles Nelson Reilly, Richard Dawson, Marcia Wallace and Fannie Flagg as well as the contestants, judges and even the entire studio audience!  Ironically, her original given name was 'Audrey Johnston' and she was born in New Brunswick but no one would have guessed either. 

• Love 4

On today's 8 am GSN rerun(MG '74), they had "99___________" for the Super Match.  The $500 answer was "Bottles Of Beer On The Wall," and Gene had absolutely no clue what that meant.  So the panel started singing and the audience joined in and clapped along. :)

• Love 2

Apparently, Alec Baldwin is still doing "serious" acting [besides playing Trump on SNL and his hosting duties on Match Game ] as it was announced that he has landed the Colonel Jessup role ["You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!"] for NBC's late-2018 live adaption of A Few Good Men.

• Love 1