Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

Don't the celebrities have a list of possible answers right in front of them?   I swear I see some of the less witty celebrities look down before giving their suggestions for answers.

I picked coffee maker, and was kind of surprised no one else thought of that.   I would have picked my own over the celebrities on that one.

Don't even get me started on "Remember the ______" - and I'm not even from Texas.    

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the celebrities have a list of possible answers right in front of them?   I swear I see some of the less witty celebrities look down before giving their suggestions for answers.

I think some of them start writing down possible answers in case they're called upon and look down to see which ones have already been taken.

The judging again - ARGH. They should not have accepted "colon" for "butt." They didn't accept "legs" for "thighs" later in the game. So inconsistent and arbitrary.

When they asked what Alec was sucking on to prepare for Boss Baby I thought "bottle" was a perfectly reasonable answer - depending on what kind of bottle, you know.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Don't even get me started on "Remember the ______" - and I'm not even from Texas.    

I could only come up with Remember the Titans - and I do currently live in Texas. 

This group of questions seemed harder than some in the past. There weren't a lot that had a good possibility for consensus. 

Anthony Anderson was honestly one of the best celebrities I've seen on this show. He killed me. 

• Love 4

What always cracks me up is there always seems to be that one celebrity who clearly thinks they're too good to be there (but really they aren't) and they're only coming on the show because their manager is forcing them to make a little money and get their face out there.  James van der Beek was clearly that celebrity last night.  Mr. Fivehead himself.  Sometimes Alec Baldwin likes to have a little fun with their pompous asses, and poke them around a little, but it was clear that wasn't going to go anywhere last night so Alec dropped it.  He seemed to loosen up by the end of the show, but good lord, what a stick Mr. Fivehead had up his butt!

I didn't either.  JVDB isn't exactly doing quality work nowadays, he was even playing a fictional version of himself on a recent ABC sitcom.  I do agree he was kind of stiff in the first game, but (due to the seemingly mandatory two-drink minimum) he seemed to loosen up by the second game.

• Love 2

I thought of "Remember the Maine." But, I'm old.

For "Animal _" the first thing I thought of was magnetism.

• Love 1

Alyhough i liked her on other shows, Patti Deutsch was the worst panelist...she would come up with some cockamamie answer that noone would match in a million years, just to show how funny she thought she was...no help to the contestant at all.

What annoyed me about her was that she specifically gave answers that she thought would give her the biggest laugh from the audience, knowing full well that the contestant would not come up with that answer. Which is NOT the point of the game. Charles or Brett would go for laughs in the way they phrased an answer, but still give a decent answer.  And I never found Patti's jokes very funny.

Joyce Boulifant's answers were out there, but I think that's because she really was kind of a space cadet.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 1:18 AM, vb68 said:

How did no one come up with "Animal House"?  Jack even missed it. 

I never even thought of that. I thought Animal Planet would be #1 but it didn't even make the list. 

"Playboy has started selling chicken. ....some people go to stare at BREASTS, but some claims they're only there for the ______."

I was thinking "chicken," as in the others are there to stare at the REAL, LIVE breasts.

• Love 2

I was trying to think of some food related item that rhymes with Articles.  No luck, so I said Thighs.  I also picked Bottle for the Baby Boss one, rationalizing that he needed the bottle's formula to stay Baby Boss. (Yes I put that much thought into it. I just recently saw the movie)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Blissfool said:

The one about the kama sutra (ocean animal) sex positions was so hard. I drew a blank. Further proof that it was so random was that nobody from the panel matched each other.

Agreed. That clue was 100% “We can’t even come up with a clever setup so just make an ocean-related sex pun.” I find it less fun when the clue has no real direction. 

• Love 6
On 1/25/2018 at 12:20 PM, iMonrey said:

The judging again - ARGH. They should not have accepted "colon" for "butt." They didn't accept "legs" for "thighs" later in the game. So inconsistent and arbitrary.

I agree with you on colon/butt, but, since there were chickens involved, I'm OK with with the call on legs/thighs. Ask any Popeye's or KFC for a "leg" and you get a drumstick, not a thigh.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 12:55 AM, Racj82 said:

Are you related to Deric?

Alec's mic-drop after Anthony's last one was the biggest laugh I've had all week.  And honestly, "secret closet" deserved it.

• Love 3

I love him on this even though a lot of times he’s clearly reading even the jokes off a TelePrompTer.  Maybe it needs bigger font.  He kind of squints at it.  

On 1/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, starri said:

Alec's mic-drop after Anthony's last one was the biggest laugh I've had all week.  And honestly, "secret closet" deserved it.

I know, Mrs. Readster even went: "Are you an idiot?" 

“Flannel” was such a gimme answer, it’s too bad the other contestant didn’t get that question. He wouldn’t have won even if he didn’t mishear his question. The celebrities didn’t have a consensus on the answer to his question.

• Love 1

That contestant mistaking "seagulls" for "singles" was truly one of the most bizarre things I've seen on this show, which is saying something. I cracked up laughing.

And Jason Biggs' saying hi to one woman like he truly knew her was rather inspired. The music immediately stops and everyone turns and goes "Huh?"  I kinda loved it. I don't think he lived up to it the rest of the show, though.

Liked the panel even though Jack McBrayer started to get on my nerves. I don't know. I think there is some smugness that seeps through sometimes. Maybe I'm just noticing how far away he is from Kenneth. 

• Love 2

I kind of want a Jack and Tichina buddy movie now. They were sweet together. Biggs can often be a bit much but he was here. I can even tell he felt bad that he got Jane to admit to sucking as her first answer for the longhorn question.

The seagull answer should go on dumb game show answers videos for years and years. I no it was him mishearing but him not hearing single at all those is truly stupid.

• Love 1

"Fish" "Huh?!" "You mean sea gulls night?"

The slow realisation of the celebrities' faces and the long parade of "you lost!" hugs was worth it.  

Maybe I'm just noticing how far away he is from Kenneth. 

Probably but his retorts seem to crack up Alec every time so meh.  I'm still in awe of the fact that his BFF is alexander skarsgård  

• Love 5

It didn't occur to me but "Fuller Blouse" was really the definitive answer to the question about Fuller House. And they should have given her the match for that too. 

I think I read about that principal who kissed a pig on the news back when it happened. There was some kind of bet he made with his students about them raising enough money to fund something.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, Mumbles said:

Charles or Brett would go for laughs in the way they phrased an answer, but still give a decent answer. 

And this is what made Charles and Brett such great panalists.  They would go for the laughs, and have fun.  But they always remembered that the contestents were playing for real money, and put a lot of thought into their answers.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, iMonrey said:

There were several good answers to the Leo DiCaprio question. I immediately thought of The Great Gatsby as well, but Revenant and Wolf of Wall Street were also fitting. What did the contestant say - Inception? What a dummy. 

Overall the questions were fairly good - there were several that had multiple possibilities for good answers and none that had just one definitive answer. I liked the panel as well. I noticed from the camera angle shot behind the panelists they have 2 drink holders on either side of their name plates. Every one of them had 2 drinks. 

I totally cracked up at Ron Funches answer to "tiny" as "penis."

I can't stand Ron Funches. He was the worst thing about that awful show Undateable. He sounds exactly like Tim Meadows' Ladies Man character from SNL.

Maybe I'm being a dork but having Jane be in a different seat really bugged me. After how many episodes the move her to the second row it was just weird.

Poor seagull guy. Alex read the question 5 times. Love that everyone went to comfort him.

I said Vanilla Ice so I would have lost.

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It didn't occur to me but "Fuller Blouse" was really the definitive answer to the question about Fuller House. And they should have given her the match for that too. 

I think I read about that principal who kissed a pig on the news back when it happened. There was some kind of bet he made with his students about them raising enough money to fund something.

Fuller BLOUSE! Now I get it!

Principals kissing pigs...it happens more than you'd think. Principals resort to these type of things to encourage students to  get good grades, read books, etc. So much for intrinsic motivation.

To me Jack McBrayer is a real life Jack McFarland (W&G).

Was that Rob guy serious when he said he gets mistaken for Bradley Cooper?

21 hours ago, Blissfool said:

It's a joke because both were on Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp.

I remember Ana being really good the last time she was on, did she just drink too much backstage?

I noticed for the first time that Alec doesn't appear to have an earpiece, which means there's no writer backstage feeding him funny lines with which to heckle the contestants and the celebs.  That impresses me a lot.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, starri said:

It's a joke because both were on Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp.

I remember Ana being really good the last time she was on, did she just drink too much backstage?

I noticed for the first time that Alec doesn't appear to have an earpiece, which means there's no writer backstage feeding him funny lines with which to heckle the contestants and the celebs.  That impresses me a lot.

Thx for the Rob/Bradley Cooper info. I knew there had to be an explanation because there is no resemblance between the two.

About Alec's witty banter....he makes me laugh. So funny. BUT I was disappointed a couple of episodes ago when I realized his funny-isms are likely scripted. A contestant (Secret Closet lady) introduced herself and Alec said, "Uh, you didn't mention the scooter thing. You were supposed to mention scooters so that I could feed off your line." She reiterated her intro, including a tidbit about her kids running around in scooters, then he said his witty remark. Later, in the same episode, he fumbled a line and seemed to  blame the cue card guy. So I was disappointed his witty banter wasn't off the cuff.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, Blissfool said:

Fuller BLOUSE! Now I get it!

Principals kissing pigs...it happens more than you'd think. Principals resort to these type of things to encourage students to  get good grades, read books, etc. So much for intrinsic motivation.

To me Jack McBrayer is a real life Jack McFarland (W&G).

I just couldn't believe that the Principal didn't think ear when it came to Mike Tyson, I mean he is most likely my brother-in-law's age so he be in his early late 20s when that happened. It was national news, I can't believe he answered "penis" as for the Seagul guy, really, just how did he mis hear that after Alec and the celebs kept saying: "singles". 

It occurs to me that they could do an all Kimmy Schmidt night.  They've already had Jane, Ellie, Titus, and Anna Camp, so just add Carole Kane and Tina Fey.  Or hell, go for broke and get Jon Hamm.

I follow Colton Haynes on Instagram, and he's apparently going to be in the CNR seat next week.  I bring this up more because his selfies reveal that the Brett seat is occupied by none other than LYNDA FUCKIN' CARTER!  He's living my dream life.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2018 at 4:03 PM, starri said:

I follow Colton Haynes on Instagram, and he's apparently going to be in the CNR seat next week.  I bring this up more because his selfies reveal that the Brett seat is occupied by none other than LYNDA FUCKIN' CARTER!  He's living my dream life.

He did more than just sit next to her too. How many guys can say they made out with Wonder Woman? 

• Love 3

Actually . . . my preferred definitive answer is "Batman keeps trying to show me his Dick Grayson."

Also, I didn't understand why everyone said the shock collars would shock the audience every time they clapped. Why would the show want that? It should have been every time they booed

Lynda Carter seems to be enjoying a career resurgence since the release of the Wonder Woman movie. I thought it was super weird she and Colton Haynes were "making out" though. I don't get how that started. 

I absolutely love Veep so it was great seeing Sam Richardson on the panel. Forget Taye Diggs, I'll take Richard Splett any day.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, I didn't understand why everyone said the shock collars would shock the audience every time they clapped. Why would the show want that? It should have been every time they booed

The clue started off 'The audience is so stupid...', so the audience picked the reason for the shock not the show, so if they're really stoopid they're going to either pick clap or laugh.  The contestant said 'clapped', while 2 or 3 of the celebs said 'laughed'.

26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I thought it was super weird she and Colton Haynes were "making out" though.

I'm sure Colton's husband thought the same thing!  I'm a fan of Linda's but it seemed she was going to maximize her time while she was on Match Game (shooting t-shirts, making out...)

Agreed, Lynda seemed a little too "on." 

The clue started off 'The audience is so stupid...', so the audience picked the reason for the shock not the show, so if they're really stoopid they're going to either pick clap or laugh.  The contestant said 'clapped', while 2 or 3 of the celebs said 'laughed'.

Yeah, but - my interpretation was that the audience was stupid enough to allow the show to fit them with shock collars that would stop them from booing. Why on earth would the show want to stop them from clapping or laughing? That's basically what you want from an audience, not boos. So, if the audience is told "will you wear these shock collars so we can stop you from booing" and they agreed to it, that would certainly make them look stupid. If the show outfitted them with shock collars to discourage clapping and laughing that would make the show look stupid. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'm sure Colton's husband thought the same thing!  I'm a fan of Linda's but it seemed she was going to maximize her time while she was on Match Game (shooting t-shirts, making out...)

I'm sure Colton's husband would be more elated that he made out with Linda. Who wouldn't be.

Lynda was a really good player.  Even if her antics were a little much, being perhaps the only celeb to Super Match twice in the same night counts for a lot.

Honestly, aside from "Vagina Stroke" I thought Colton did pretty well.  Actually, apart from Caroline Rhea, it was a pretty terrific panel.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

But what was the impetus for that? Maybe I missed something, but it was like the camera just suddenly cut to them macking on each other. It was so random.

I thought it was because they had already made a match with the contestant so while all the other celebrities were busy writing their answers they had to just sit there and be bored - so they made out as a joke.

• Love 3

I love Lynda Carter and she was great in these episodes. I did crack up at Caroline Ray's "50% off at TJ Maxx" my own mother said: "That would be me." The cereal aisle question was so broad, saying Frosted Flakes was actually a good answer, but just as the celebs showed, it is so broad, it's hard to come up with a good match there. As for the audience, that looked pretty standard for modern game shows. The reason shows like: The Price is Right or Jeopardy are so large is not only due to the audience interaction, but also the time those shows have been on. I think the current $100,000 has the same size audience. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn’t get “ladies just want to have SEX”, either.  I don’t know any sex fanatic ladies, much less 64 year olds like Lauper.  I said NAPS.  Coupons was funny, too. 

Mrs. Readster said: "Want Naps" too. 

12 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn’t get “ladies just want to have SEX”, either.  I don’t know any sex fanatic ladies, much less 64 year olds like Lauper.  I said NAPS.  Coupons was funny, too. 

Judging by the STD epidemic going in nursing homes and retirement centers, I would say there are many.

Naps is what I would have went with though.

• Love 1