Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/10/2018 at 10:34 PM, Racj82 said:

Judging by the STD epidemic going in nursing homes and retirement centers, I would say there are many.

Naps is what I would have went with though.

Let's not forget The Villages, Florida. America's number one STD retirement community!

I am a Caroline fan. The TJ Maxx coupon line would've come from Mrs. W1, too. 

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the most recent panel.  It had a really great mix of celebs who played well off of one another.  And the questions were good with some, IMO, obvious answers even if the contestants didn't quite nail those obvious answers.  At least their responses weren't too off the wall.

Hole in one was bullshit. Not the answer but just saying a hole shouldn't qualify.

Leah always seems drunk on game shows.

The reactions to the answer of cum was amazing. They might as well have not bleeped it. No way she said any other word even just by looking at her.

I actually agree with the judges vetoing answers that were too cutesy. Just say jizz. Saying things like cream and icing could really mean just that and they shouldn't take those answers.

• Love 1

Hole in one was bullshit. Not the answer but just saying a hole shouldn't qualify.

Yeah - once again, the judging is just so damned arbitrary. I would have said "hole" or "ball." Hole in one is too specific. Because if the contestant had given "hole" as the answer and the celebrity said "hole in one" it probably would have been a match, but shouldn't have been for the other way around.

I actually agree with the judges vetoing answers that were too cutesy. Just say jizz. Saying things like cream and icing could really mean just that and they shouldn't take those answers.

I don't know - considering how lenient they were with the "hole in one" answer I thought some of the other euphemisms should have been just as acceptable as "baby gravy." It's obvious what they meant. I would have answered "frosting" or "icing."

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah - once again, the judging is just so damned arbitrary. I would have said "hole" or "ball." Hole in one is too specific. Because if the contestant had given "hole" as the answer and the celebrity said "hole in one" it probably would have been a match, but shouldn't have been for the other way around.

I don't know - considering how lenient they were with the "hole in one" answer I thought some of the other euphemisms should have been just as acceptable as "baby gravy." It's obvious what they meant. I would have answered "frosting" or "icing."

I agree with you on both counts. But, they were literally just saying creme or whatever. Do what some do and put your clear answer with the joke response. In this context, creme and icing could just be that. Like RuPaul put batter not that it mattered by that point. But, say man batter. Just make it clear. 

• Love 1

Yeah, they do have some internal rules vis a vis euphemisms. Like, if the point of the joke was to give a particular euphemism answer, you need to actually match that, like when it's a pun or something. Whereas if the spirit of the answer they're going for is an actual thing, and the celebs give joke-euphemism answers to imply that thing, then they're likely to accept them because the point all along were the underlying thing. But with this one...it's too ambiguous. Like frosting and icing are not commonly accepted substitutions for what (I assume) the contestant said. Sure, the similarity is WHY the celeb gave that answer, but that's different than literally meaning the answer.

Like, for example, if the point of a clue were clearly trying to get everyone to give the answer "sex" and the contestant says "sex" then the celebs can answer "make whoopee" or "do it" or any number of synonymous phrases and get the match. But if a clue were unambiguously about sex, and trying to get the contestant to give a particular phrase instead of saying "sex",  but rather to describe sex, then the point is for the celebs to match the phrase they used, and synonyms aren't acceptable matches because the whole point was to find the alternate turn of phrase, not just identify the concept.

Although I still feel like the rules/judging on this version are way less consistent than the original, but a lot of the reason the situations come up that lead to these inconsistencies is bad clue-writing. But I digress...

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

but a lot of the reason the situations come up that lead to these inconsistencies is bad clue-writing.

Absolutely.  When Alec read a particular clue Leah asked him to repeat the "monologue" please!  Clues should be short and to the point.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

Like frosting and icing are not commonly accepted substitutions for what (I assume) the contestant said. Sure, the similarity is WHY the celeb gave that answer, but that's different than literally meaning the answer.

Except the question was about a sex position/technique called "baking a cake." So if you end up "covered in something" as a result of "baking a cake" it's obviously going to be a cake-related euphemism for semen. That's why "batter" or "icing" should have been acceptable IMO. Oh well. I'm probably over-thinking this but the judging drives me crazy! She could have tied if they had been as lenient as they were with "hole in one."

• Love 2

But the problem is right there in what you just said. The contestant fucked it up. They were asking for a cake-related euphemism and she gave a literal answer. If she'd said "icing" (meaning it as a euphemism for semen) and someone else said "batter", that's not a match even though both are different euphemisms for semen because the purpose of the question was to see what euphemism for semen they'd come up with. Likewise if she'd said "icing" and one of the celebs said "semen" that's also not a match. I have more problems with the hole-in-one clue shenanigans than this one.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Except the question was about a sex position/technique called "baking a cake." So if you end up "covered in something" as a result of "baking a cake" it's obviously going to be a cake-related euphemism for semen. 

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if these contestants understand how game shows work. They didn't just throw "cake baking" into the question for no reason! Why would you just come (sorry) right out and say a word that a) you know is going to get bleeped on TV and b) isn't clever in any way? 

• Love 1

What the hell was Leah wearing around her neck? All I could think of was Amadeus.

She is just TOO MUCH ALL THE TIME!

Otherwise, I liked the second game so much better than the first. The panel really clicked with the contestants.

I do hate when the panelists consult with each other on answers during the regular part of the game, though. I don't mind it during the winner's circle, but it doesn't seem fair during the main game. Maybe the reason they do it so much is that the questions suck so hard since the reboot. Really, how hard could it be for the writers to come up with funny questions which would have a couple of reasonable answers???

salieri.jpg

1 hour ago, nonnybaby said:

Really, how hard could it be for the writers to come up with funny questions which would have a couple of reasonable answers???

At worst, they should just go watch the Rayburn eps and "reboot" those questions with current references.

• Love 3
On 2/23/2018 at 8:51 PM, Blissfool said:

I wonder if Leah would have said Saved by the Bell, being that she did appear on that show for a short time back in the day.

Look at Leah after the answers are revealed. When saved by the Bell is revealed they cut to Leah and she's pointing with a reaction like SEE, I TOLD YOU.

I think Niecy Nash may be my favorite panelist.  She's good at the game AND she's funny.

Can they start taking off points for contestants from Boston if they can't stop reminding you that they're from Boston?

• Love 3
On 2/25/2018 at 12:46 AM, opus said:
On 2/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, nonnybaby said:

At worst, they should just go watch the Rayburn eps and "reboot" those questions with current references.

Yes! Those questions were funny in an absurd way. And not overtly smutty. Not to say that smutty questions can’t be funny, it’s just that the ones they’re using aren’t.

I think Niecy Nash may be my favorite panelist.  She's good at the game AND she's funny.

I’m just getting around to the last episode and said to myself, she’s the Richard Dawson of this crowd....has the best instincts as to what the contestant is thinking.

• Love 4

Ever cackling Kaye Stevens was without a doubt the most annoying of all. In my opinion, she exhibited all the insecure attention-grabbing and exaggerated emotions of a typical drunk.  Might explain her close attachment to Christian ministry later in life - she may have found relief through her faith.  Or maybe she just had a huge ego. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

In the season premiere, I don't know what I call BS on more: "chick" not being allowed or "Whiskey" when they were CLEARLY looking for a brand name was let in. 

Ugh, yeah. If I go on, I'm just going to answer "thing" or "person" so that whatever the stars say will be deemed a match. What about LIVER being accepted as a match for "human"?!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

In the season premiere, I don't know what I call BS on more: "chick" not being allowed or "Whiskey" when they were CLEARLY looking for a brand name was let in. 

Amen. I was screaming at the tv at that. If she was too dim to get the “hook” of a very easy joke, she shouldn’t have won. That said they were pretty loosy-goosy with the other contestant’s Hannibal Lecter answer but at least she understood the question.

• Love 4

The only reason I can think of that they didn't take "chick" for the Hannibal Lecter answer (and I think I heard Constance Zimmer saying this to someone else) is that "Chick on a Stick" could be mistaken for meaning chicken. They were going for something that clearly implied "human meat", so therefore they took "Doug", "liver" (which is part of the human body), etc. But yeah, they should really have given Caroline the benefit of the doubt and given her that one. 

The other question, they were being extremely generous taking "whiskey" for the answer but no one was going to complain I guess because it was helping the contestant in that case, not hurting them.

• Love 1

Ugh, yeah. If I go on, I'm just going to answer "thing" or "person" so that whatever the stars say will be deemed a match. What about LIVER being accepted as a match for "human"?!

No shit. Man that pissed me off. At first I thought there would be no way for her to match everyone because obviously the gag was to name a brand that had a man's name, and you could say Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, but there's no way "whiskey" should have been a match for either. And no, neither "Doug" nor "Liver" should have been a match for "human." The judges were just way too lenient in that round.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

No shit. Man that pissed me off. At first I thought there would be no way for her to match everyone because obviously the gag was to name a brand that had a man's name, and you could say Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, but there's no way "whiskey" should have been a match for either. And no, neither "Doug" nor "Liver" should have been a match for "human." The judges were just way too lenient in that round.

Yeah, I was thinking Jim Beam but then I also thought of Johnnie Walker. I didn't even think of Jack Daniels.  But, in my defense I don't drink any of these.  ;)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Yeah, I was thinking Jim Beam but then I also thought of Johnnie Walker. I didn't even think of Jack Daniels.  But, in my defense I don't drink any of these.  ;)

I was hoping that somebody had said Captain Morgan so it wouldn't be a sweep. There are other names that aren't whiskeys, so the judges weren't totally off the wall there. They blew it matching "liver"; those can be from too many other things besides humans.

• Love 1
(edited)

Accepting "whiskey" was complete bullshit. To me, this clearly illustrated that she didn't understand the question.

Actually, my first thought was Jose Cuervo. Then Jim Beam. Then Johnnie Walker. Then Captain Morgan. But never Jack Daniels for some reason. And I actually know a person named Jack Daniels.

Edited by helpmerhonda
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The other question, they were being extremely generous taking "whiskey" for the answer but no one was going to complain I guess because it was helping the contestant in that case, not hurting them.

It was hurting the other contestant!  She lost!

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought the point of the Hannibal Lecter question was to name a body part. He's a cannibal so "human" is just waaaay too general. I thought the answers were going to be brain, eyeballs, DICK.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, I noticed it from last season, I think, where I thought the judges started to be too lenient in the first round because the contestants gave too dumb of answers. Like when they were obviously looking for the word yacht, but they accepted the more general ship instead. Last night was even worse though with how human and whiskey equaled about anything. I know that the contestants that come on the show usually don't give good answers, but I don't like how the judges are accepting almost any answer now. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mortonsalt said:

Yes, I noticed it from last season, I think, where I thought the judges started to be too lenient in the first round because the contestants gave too dumb of answers. Like when they were obviously looking for the word yacht, but they accepted the more general ship instead. Last night was even worse though with how human and whiskey equaled about anything. I know that the contestants that come on the show usually don't give good answers, but I don't like how the judges are accepting almost any answer now. 

Probably accepting any answer is easier than admitting they pick lousy contestants for the show.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2018 at 3:54 PM, Mumbles said:

Joyce Boulifant's answers were out there, but I think that's because she really was kind of a space cadet.

And to think, before this show, Miss Boulifant had been Helen Hayes's daughter-in-law!

On February 7, 2017 at 5:39 PM, UYI said:

It actually happened around 1985, when he was hosting a short-lived game show called Break the Bank (his version of MG had ended a few years before that, and the MG-Hollywood Squares Hour hybrid the year before). He only hosted one other game show after BTB. But yeah, when Match Game '90 was in production, I think his age disqualified him. 

FWIW, Gene would've been about 10 years younger then than Alex Trbeck is now.

• Love 1

I hate when they have unfair questions like that, though. The guy had a question with a very obvious answer. The one about miracle whip had so many different possibilities. I mean, overall I prefer the harder questions because it shouldn’t just be handed to them, but I hate when it’s so lopsided.

I don’t even know what to say about that guy. I can KIND of give him a pass if he didn’t know who Jack was so didn’t realize they were the same person, but not know Mrs. Butterworth??? But, really, he still has no excuse because of the way Jack reacted to the question and the fact that the show does this with the panel members all the time. If I were going on a game show, I’d study the hell out of it! Oh, and I also get they were kind of joking around, but I can’t believe he flipped off Alec!!  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Looked like 'altar boys' to me.

Seems like a weird thing to bleep out. I mean, I know the suggestive implications there, but there's nothing inherently dirty in the words.

Maybe they figured they'd get complaints from the Catholic church.

25 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

Seems like a weird thing to bleep out. I mean, I know the suggestive implications there, but there's nothing inherently dirty in the words.

Totally agree with you, but this is ABC, and it did air in prime time, so I can understand it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

FWIW, Gene would've been about 10 years younger then than Alex Trebek is now.

Which is absolutely insane. Alex Trebek seriously defies age; the closest he's looked to his age recently is when he briefly grew his mustache back. 

• Love 2

NO, "thong" is NOT a match for lingerie. At least that was the only really egregious judging call of the evening. 

I really didn't understand the Miracle Whip question at all and what the answer was supposed to be (and can't remember the whole question for the life of me.)

Also, I drew a big blank on "_ Training" myself. I realize now the most obvious answer is going to be spring training or cross training or some other sports-related thing so that's probably why I drew a blank on it. Not a sports fan.

I really want to know what those celebrities are drinking. I mean, Jack basically admitted to being drunk. Maybe he was joking but they've all got a glass of something. You never saw that back on the original show.

16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

NO, "thong" is NOT a match for lingerie. At least that was the only really egregious judging call of the evening. 

I really didn't understand the Miracle Whip question at all and what the answer was supposed to be (and can't remember the whole question for the life of me.)

Also, I drew a big blank on "_ Training" myself. I realize now the most obvious answer is going to be spring training or cross training or some other sports-related thing so that's probably why I drew a blank on it. Not a sports fan.

I really want to know what those celebrities are drinking. I mean, Jack basically admitted to being drunk. Maybe he was joking but they've all got a glass of something. You never saw that back on the original show.

My first thought was basic training, but knew they wouldn’t come up with that unless they were military. 

• Love 2

Basic training was the first thing to occur to me, and I'm not even military. I am a baseball fan, but for some reason, spring training didn't come to mind immediately. 

I remember reading that on the old show, the panelists would drink; it was off-camera, but many of them were getting hammered during the taping. Now they just drink openly, and it appears to be encouraged. The results of that are mixed, though it does work in Jack's case. He's a delightful drunk.

I hope they don't have Jenifer with one n back. She was incredibly annoying. 

The blurred out answers were annoying, too. Don't ask a question if the likely answers are too naughty to show on prime time TV. With this particular question, there wasn't anything I thought was an obvious answer, so I was wondering what was being blurred. It's no fun watching everyone laughing and not knowing why. 

• Love 4

"Jay-Z doesn't mind being in the doghouse because he's got _________ in there"

I thought "Becky with the good hair."

But I guess that would be too insulting to Beyonce.

My answers for other questions were:
Alice in Slumland

donkey <------don't people hit donkeys with a whip? And if its the Pope, it would be a miracle whip

Hence, I did not do very well this episodes

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

"Jay-Z doesn't mind being in the doghouse because he's got _________ in there"

I thought "Becky with the good hair."

But I guess that would be too insulting to Beyonce.

Haha, my first thought was wi-fi.

• Love 2

"Lift" is absolutely not a match for "support". Those judges make NO SENSE. I was glad Laverne overthought it because that should've already been a loss. Also glad Constance and Joel missed that the tie-breaker was looking for a card game, since it said "hand of" because with the way the judges have been going, when mermaid said "trading cards" they might've bizarrely called any card-related answer a match, which would've been wrong. So yay for that outcome.

• Love 2