Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I was picturing a Frito, a la the Saturday Night Live commercial parody "Corn Chip Nail Tips", but that's a really obscure reference and I really don't know what they expected people to answer for this.

I wondered what the expected answer was, too. Being that it was Trashy Tanya, they must have expected an answer related to trash (which is so general). They should have made this a Dumb Dora question. Then it could have been a REAL (carpentry)  nail.

• Love 1
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I was picturing a Frito, a la the Saturday Night Live commercial parody "Corn Chip Nail Tips", but that's a really obscure reference and I really don't know what they expected people to answer for this.

It's so funny how things can make us remember obscure things like older SNL sketches. Every time I see Martha Stewart I end up thinking about that  "Martha Stewart's Topless Christmas Special" skit from the late 90's. The only video of it I can find is one someone recorded from their TV on YT. It's not on NBC's site or the SNL YT account. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

We used to put Bugles on our fingers. But I don’t know if everyone knows what Buglesare.

I did do that too. I guess I wasn't thinking of Bugles as a potato chip, but that would have made sense if that's what the celebrities' were going for. 

I was going with the trashy part rather than a dumb angle, so I said pull-tab, like from a beer can.

I agree that the thong-johns question was the easiest ever, esp when vagina, crotch, and muff all matched as if they're all the same. I felt bad for Ryan when his question (about Beyonce) wasn't just as easy.

For the Charlie Brown hair question, I was trying to think of something Charlie Brown-ish and came up with a terrible answer: a zig-zag, i.e., like the one on his shirt. Alex would have ridiculed me mercilessly for that.

I was surprised that for the Tarzan question no one said yelling, like the Tarzan yell. Pooping never occurred to me.

I was rather shocked at the gay bar/rim question. 

I love Titus Burgess, though he seemed pretty subdued this time. Anyway, I need to watch the most recent season of Kimmy Schmidt. 

• Love 1

I was surprised that for the Tarzan question no one said yelling, like the Tarzan yell. Pooping never occurred to me.

I didn't get why everyone said "poop" either. Yodeling/yelling seemed more likely, or maybe swinging from the ceiling. I mean, he's not an ape - maybe they had him confused with King Kong.

• Love 3

The episode airing next week appears to be from a new series of tapings than the ones that have been airing so far this season.

All the ones up to now have had production codes beginning with 3; the next 2 episodes have codes that start with 4. 

Next week's episode has an almost entirely new group of panelists; I believe only Constance Zimmer is the only one who's been on the show this season, and Jason Alexander, who appeared in Seasons 1 and 2. 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Phishbulb said:

The episode airing next week appears to be from a new series of tapings than the ones that have been airing so far this season.

All the ones up to now have had production codes beginning with 3; the next 2 episodes have codes that start with 4. 

Next week's episode has an almost entirely new group of panelists; I believe only Constance Zimmer is the only one who's been on the show this season, and Jason Alexander, who appeared in Seasons 1 and 2. 

The last new one had been listed on my onscreen guide as "Season Finale". I haven't checked if next weeks new one says 'Season Premiere'

Edit- Today's new one is listed as Season 3, Episode 15

Edited by opus

I never heard of this before. I was on a cruise ship recently, and they played Blankety Blank, which was obviously like Match Game. I thought they were using that name because they were not allowed to use Match Game. I didn't realize it was a real show. 

Edited by GussieK

I honestly had no idea who three of the six panelists were until I looked them up. I've actually seen Sheryl and Anjelah before but only in passing and I'd never heard of Bubba before. Kind of a weak line-up.

I thought the first contestant was really good, but I would never have won the $25K because I thought "blank code" was a 50/50 toss-up between "area" and "zip." Or maybe even DaVinci. Morse would never have occurred to me. Amazing both he and Jason thought of that as the best answer.

Those were some hard questions. Not often you get multiple 0 point rounds across all 4 contestants. For some of them I couldn't even think of an answer. I did get Morse Code though. Also had Round House. Can't believe she went with Round 1. 

Disappointed that "Fluffy" didn't have much to say. Was expecting more from him. Jason Alexander was good. Bubba was another unknown but bad in a good way. It was pretty funny when Alec started to really rag on him as the show went on. 

I thought for sure it was "blow me Elmo" but I like "fist me Elmo" even better. 

I honestly thought "Fuck me Elmo" was the definitive answer but I wish they wouldn't bother with the kinds of questions you almost have to give a dirty answer for because they all end up being blurred and bleeped out. Fun for the studio audience, maybe, but for the home viewer? Not so much.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly had no idea who three of the six panelists were until I looked them up. I've actually seen Sheryl and Anjelah before but only in passing and I'd never heard of Bubba before. Kind of a weak line-up.

I've never heard of or seen Sheryl or Anjelah, at least not that I remember. I googled them. I've definitely heard of Bubba Watson. I ended up kind of liking him. I also thought it was pretty funny when he said "Wie." I'm glad there's a famous golf player named Michelle so he would have someone to say.

I thought the first contestant was really good, but I would never have won the $25K because I thought "blank code" was a 50/50 toss-up between "area" and "zip." Or maybe even DaVinci. Morse would never have occurred to me. Amazing both he and Jason thought of that as the best answer.

What popped into my head was Secret. I didn't even try to come up with anything else.

I said Bone Me Elmo. For the Van Halen one, I said Running with Dentures. That was a tough one in that there are many good possibilities.

For the Match Game gift shop, I said Gently Used Jokes. 

For the tiebreaker, I said Treehouse. I think I read the question a little differently from the other people, just like the contestant read the breakfast/9-iron question differently.

In the "Round" Super Match, I was torn betw Robin and About. I was actually surprised when both of them came up.

And finally, I said flea collar. Flea market never occurred to me.

I

On 8/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, peeayebee said:

. I've definitely heard of Bubba Watson. I ended up kind of liking him. I also thought it was pretty funny when he said "Wie." I'm glad there's a famous golf player named Michelle so he would have someone to say.

Me too. He didn’t seem that sharp but was genial and a good sport, and kind of cute.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, peeayebee said:

And finally, I said flea collar. Flea market never occurred to me.

The contestant was from NJ, where there are a few "famous" flea markets. When Jason (a NJ native) walked down and immediately nodded his approval of (and looked a little surprised, too, that she wrote it) Anjelah's answer, I figured that it was market.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2018 at 7:34 PM, dvr devotee said:

The contestant was from NJ, where there are a few "famous" flea markets. When Jason (a NJ native) walked down and immediately nodded his approval of (and looked a little surprised, too, that she wrote it) Anjelah's answer, I figured that it was market.

Kind of funny since in an episode of Seinfeld, George didn't know what a flea market was.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, peeayebee said:

For the Match Game gift shop, I said Gently Used Jokes.

The best line of the episode was when the guy answered condoms, and Alec said "I'm wearing one right now"

Edited by BTBAM310
4 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Perfect answer for the Kardashians/gardener question:

Just like the real show, it's 60 minutes full of..........HOES.

Come on.

Best one I heard. Manure was my first instinct. Overall I did very bad on this episode. The cultural matches were pretty funny.

• Love 2

I can't get over two of the panelists saying "when a sweater is too cold." WTF?

I love how self-deprecating Alec Baldwin is about his job hosting this show. Like he knows it should be way beneath him, yet he's so good at it. Like when he addressed the wrong contestant then did a "rewind" and corrected himself. It's odd, he's kind of famously been a real jerk in the past but he seems to have such a great sense of humor.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I actually said "cold" too. I think I misheard the question. I took it as "wear a sweater when it's too _blank_". 

I agree about Alec. I only started watching because of an interview he did with I think Howard Stern and he was talking about hosting the show and how much fun it is while being really easy money. 

• Love 2
On 8/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, iMonrey said:

My first thought was when it's too hot, but I quickly changed to dirty.

For the football one -- dated a Patriot, then dated a Saint... -- I went with a great big Ram.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:56 AM, Phishbulb said:

Perfect answer for the Kardashians/gardener question:

Just like the real show, it's 60 minutes full of..........HOES.

Excellent! I went with crap, which I thought was a slam dunk. When the woman said weeding, I was all Huh?

For the Super Match where it was Space [Blank], I said Station, but Space Force and Space Pants occurred to me. I thought the former might not have been in the news when this was taped, and the latter was a bit too nichey.

I thought Kiana looked like Emilia Clarke (from Game of Thrones).

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, lynxfx said:

Best one I heard. Manure was my first instinct. Overall I did very bad on this episode. The cultural matches were pretty funny.

My first thought was bush.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:50 PM, peeayebee said:

My first thought was when it's too hot, but I quickly changed to dirty.

For the football one -- dated a Patriot, then dated a Saint... -- I went with a great big Ram.

I said great big Viking.

Before she answered, I said "she'll probably say something stupid like Eagle." I couldn't believe she actually said it.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:01 PM, iMonrey said:

I really want to know what those celebrities are drinking. I mean, Jack basically admitted to being drunk. Maybe he was joking but they've all got a glass of something. You never saw that back on the original show.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:02 PM, DXD526 said:

I remember reading that on the old show, the panelists would drink; it was off-camera, but many of them were getting hammered during the taping.

There is one thing fun to watch on the original show.   They would tape two shows, then break for lunch and tape a third show.  Lunch involved a lot of alcohol.  

When you watch the reruns, it's fun to pick out which shows were filmed after drinks and lunch.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:54 AM, BookWitch said:

Jimmie Walker isn't as funny as he thinks he is.

Agreed!  And he makes the same mistake that Gary Burghoff makes-- they try too hard and it just falls flat.

Compare this to some of the better celebrity panelists.  Buzzr was running Matchgame 73 this morning and I noticed something.   It was Morey Amsterdam's turn and after he gave his answer, you could see him take a breath and lean forward to deliver a joke.  But Gene was already on to the next celebrity.  Rather than disrupt the pacing of the game, Morey just held back and allowed Gene to keep moving.

Something you would never see Jimmie Walker or some of the other "Look at me!" panelists do.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 1

I thought "bush trimming" for the Kardashian one. I also thought Station for the Space one. Glad both contestants won in the end. 

I laughed when Thomas told the male contestant he loved him in The Last Jedi! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought he looked like Mark Hamill. 

This was the rare time my mind wasn't dirty enough for the game- I didn't think of "George Bush" (especially since the question was about a man); I thought of "George of the Jungle" instead. 

During the final round, I would have not gone with any of the celebrities' answers and would have said "Scarlet Letter"- and it would have paid off too.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

This was the rare time my mind wasn't dirty enough for the game- I didn't think of "George Bush" (especially since the question was about a man); I thought of "George of the Jungle" instead. 

Me three!

• Love 1

Me four!

I don't think the panelists understood the question about the 90 year old grandma driving the airplane down the runway with her {blank} on. Stereotypically, "old people" either drive with their blinkers on or with their parking brake on. I thought either would have been the definitive answer (and I don't really believe Caroline Rhea meant "turn signals" by "indicator," I think she was thinking of something on an airplane).

I was a little surprised "Scarlet Letter" beat out "Scarlet O'Hara" so I guess nobody has to read "Gone With The Wind" in school but still has to read "Scarlet Letter." I wouldn't even know how to spell "Scarlet Johansson" without looking it up.

There were so many choice for "fast {blank}." Fast forward, fast track, fast lane . . .

• Love 1

Me five for George of the Jungle! I was surprised all the panelists wrote "Bush." Maybe they were looking at each other's answers.

I said "turn signal" for the airplane driven by the grandma. That airplanes don't have turn signals isn't any more insane than some of the answers on this show so I'm sticking with it.

I guess I'm old that I said Scarlet Fever.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't really believe Caroline Rhea meant "turn signals" by "indicator," I think she was thinking of something on an airplane

I believe she meant turn indicator. I went with another term for the same thing: blinker. I was kinda irritated with Alec for mocking the answer. It seemed like the definitive answer to me. In fact, I could imagine a single-panel comic strip with an old pilot taxing with the turn signal blinking.

I didn't get the George Bush answer either. I couldn't come up with a good answer at all, and simply said George Hairy. 

For Adam being so hot, I said you gotta have pot holders just to get near him. 

For the Kardashian University question, I said the degree was in Self Appreciation.

And for Tony the Tiger question, I said like his cereal he's too grrrrrrreat for her.

Caroline Rhea is bugging me more and more. She seems a little too mean or something. I never heard of Eva Marcille and wasn't impressed. (I did google her to find out what her claim to fame was.)

The first contestant, Jenn, had gorgeous hair.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I believe she meant turn indicator. I went with another term for the same thing: blinker. I was kinda irritated with Alec for mocking the answer.

I thought they were overly harsh to Jenn. I thought vegan and turn signal were both decent answers (and even got some matches)

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For the Kardashian University question, I said the degree was in Self Appreciation.

You matched me :)

• Love 1

That was one of the funnier episodes. I loved that every time Oliver was given shit he ended up with the best or correct match. They kept playing him for stupid and each time it back fired. Made for good tv.

Those were some hard questions though. Didn't even think of George Bush, went straight to George of the Jungle. Also had turn signal for the plane as that is the main old person driving trope. "Indicator" is a common if not old fashioned term for your blinker so I truly believe Caroline was on the same page with that answer. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Me five for George of the Jungle! I was surprised all the panelists wrote "Bush." Maybe they were looking at each other's answers.

I said "turn signal" for the airplane driven by the grandma. That airplanes don't have turn signals isn't any more insane than some of the answers on this show so I'm sticking with it.

I guess I'm old that I said Scarlet Fever.

The question was literally tailor made for George Bush. The question was talking about being all natural instead of shaving. Man or woman, there was never any answer to me except bush.

Also the mind boggles at how many people missed flakey.

Bush crossed my mind but I usually associate that more with women so "George of the Jungle" is what I would have gone with too.   I also would have broke from the celebs and gone with "Letter" after Scarlet.

2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

That was one of the funnier episodes. I loved that every time Oliver was given shit he ended up with the best or correct match. They kept playing him for stupid and each time it back fired. Made for good tv.

It was a lot of fun as was the way Oliver played it.  I died when he covered his mouth when the guy said "Fast And the Furious" when Caroline had gone with "Track." I would have said "track" too but clearly Oliver was on his wavelength.  I don't feel bad for the contestant, though, especially after waggling his finger and poo pooing Oliver's obviously correct "Wheel of Fortune" guess.

I also know that they hated the "vegan" answer from the contestant and Oliver but it's not like there was a slam dunk answer there.  I think two people on the panel thought of "organic" but every other answer was different. Granted, brains can't be vegan but that's just the kind of thing a self-professed health nut might ask even though it's impossible.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Racj82 said:

The question was literally tailor made for George Bush. The question was talking about being all natural instead of shaving. Man or woman, there was never any answer to me except bush.

A jungle is much more natural (and in need of upkeep) than a bush. JMHO, of course.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

A jungle is much more natural (and in need of upkeep) than a bush. JMHO, of course.

Well not for me. George of the jungle is also far from something most people think about or pull out of their head regularly. George Bush still is.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, Blissfool said:

I thought the definite answer was George of the Jungle. Didn't even think oh George Bush.

Well, judging by the actual answers, I got it right.

How high does Sugar Ray Leonard rank as far as all time bad panelists? You know what it is for a answer? Really?

Oh and the woman in the last game was all time annoying. Badgering Adam for a logical answer is not a good look.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

This last episode had a pretty weak panel. I must be really old or out of touch because I have never heard of "smooth criminal" before and it was the top answer. And the question about carnival sex positions should have been another food like funnel cake or cotton candy since the original one was corn dog.

How high does Sugar Ray Leonard rank as far as all time bad panelists? You know what it is for a answer? Really?

He managed to get one answer right at least so there have been worse. I think he's got a great personality but yeah . . . he's not too great at this game. I have NO idea what he was doing by writing down "you know what it is." 

WTF was up with that weird, impromptu game of tug-of-war? And the video monitor? I guess they're trying new things.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

This last episode had a pretty weak panel. I must be really old or out of touch because I have never heard of "smooth criminal" before and it was the top answer. And the question about carnival sex positions should have been another food like funnel cake or cotton candy since the original one was corn dog.

He managed to get one answer right at least so there have been worse. I think he's got a great personality but yeah . . . he's not too great at this game. I have NO idea what he was doing by writing down "you know what it is." 

WTF was up with that weird, impromptu game of tug-of-war? And the video monitor? I guess they're trying new things.

Smooth Criminal equals Michael Jackson. Has nothing to do with being old or young. It's one of his big hits. The video where he was in the white suit and did the gravity defying lean.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And the question about carnival sex positions should have been another food like funnel cake or cotton candy since the original one was corn dog.

I walked out of the room for a second- did anyone say "Tilt-a-Whirl" for this? 

• Love 1

Smooth Criminal equals Michael Jackson. Has nothing to do with being old or young. It's one of his big hits. 

Was it?? I was 18 years old at the height of Michael Jackson's success when you couldn't get away from Thriller or Beat It or Billie Jean. I have no recollection of a song called Smooth Criminal whatsoever.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And the question about carnival sex positions should have been another food like funnel cake or cotton candy since the original one was corn dog.

Agree, which his why I said curly fries. Funnel cake was my second answer. I seldom if ever match anyone on this show.

2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Oh and the woman in the last game was all time annoying.

Drea. Gah. Couldn't stand her, she was so OTT annoying. I was rooting for the man contestant, the one who dressed up his dog. He was cute and fun, and having a good time. Drea was like she was auditioning for some obnoxious Real Housewives show or something.

27 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I have no recollection of a song called Smooth Criminal whatsoever.

Neither did Ali Wentworth!

Neither did Saber! I said smooth operator. That was another song by someone who wasn't Michael Jackson.

Really guys? Not to pop culture shame but

Also, I literally just put smoo in the YouTube search engine and smooth criminal came up.

Maybe it's because most people think if this song as Annie, are you okay? I don't know.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 7