Type keyword(s) to search

Comeback Kitchen

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

Michelle Ragusis!!  I really wanted her to win...still follow her on social media.

Yes, Michelle!  She should really have a show on FN or Cooking TV.  She is so laid back, matter of fact, not fussy, and I think she'd give new cooks the confidence to try a few more types of dishes....as well as teach accomplished cooks some great new tricks.   Most importantly, she was such a confident cook.  She was robbed the worst by Susie & Bob, I think....she wasn't perky enough or cute enough or fleek enough or who the Hell cares?  The woman can COOK, and she was articulate about cooking/ingredients/methods.  THAT's what I'm looking for, not Instagram competence.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Michelle was great.....The coastal cooking, focus on New England....She almost took the title from Justin "ridiculous rebel" Warner.  I SO wish she had.  

My favorite that season was Marti Duncan.  She got stuck being on the same team as Justin, but they had her shoot a pilot anyway.

I have always hoped that Marti would make it back to FN somehow.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ugh. Matthew AGAIN. Looks like our long national nightmare is STILL not over.

LOL.  Matthew has the training and skills to succeed but he's just not likable.  I thought maybe they'd go with Jamika as sort of an upscale replacement for Tregaye who apparently hasn't worked out (which we could have told them) but she didn't do very well with her speaking bits.  I wasn't crazy about either of them.

Edited by mlp
correct error
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/3/2017 at 1:28 PM, backformore said:

Me too.  And not all of us learned to cook from Mom and Grandma, so there's no story to tell there either.   Except maybe "my mom was raised in Ireland, where she learned to take a hunk of meat and boil it with potatoes until it was cooked, then boil it some more. The only dessert she knew was dry bread with raisins.  I got tired of bland soft food, so I learned to cook by reading recipe books."

I was raised by my grandparents and my grandmother (this woman could cook!) would try to get me in the kitchen to teach me but I was not interested..i just wanted to eat her food, not learn how to make it. Big mistake on my part because I always have to google the most basic things. Like how to boil pasta! 

But the Food Network has NOBODY on the network who is "real". I don't give a $hit about your personal stories cause I really don't relate to any of these people. Just be real and give me something fresh and new. Isn't there another Julia Childs somewhere? I guess not.

Edited by chenoa333
2 hours ago, mlp said:

LOL.  Matthew has the training and skills to succeed but he's just not likable.  I thought maybe they'd go with Jamika as sort of an upscale replacement for Tregaye who apparently hasn't worked out (which we could have told them) but she didn't do very well with her speaking bits.  I wasn't crazy about either of them.

I think Matthew 3.0 - the Matthew who is on this show, now, is likable.  If I imagine that I had never seen him before, he seems energetic, knowledgeable, and fun.  It's just hard to get the previous version - the hashtag version - out of my mind.

• Love 2
(edited)
44 minutes ago, GaT said:

No surprise that Matthew won, it seemed like he was the front runner since the beginning. 

In retrospect, his win was probably preordained from the beginning. My guess is that to get him on the show a third time they had to guarantee him the win. Lord knows why, but whoever makes the decisions at Food Network now can't get enough of him. And to give him some grudging credit, he's evolved into one of the few contestants they've had who combines cooking skills with being comfortable on camera. So many of these people seem to have only area of competence.

Of all the silly meaningless challenges they've come up with, shooting cell phone videos of yourself has to be the dumbest. Like they would ever air a video shot that way on an actual show.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

Maybe they want Matt to represent them on instagram and his inclusion is solely for that.  

9 hours ago, leighdear said:

Michelle was great.....The coastal cooking, focus on New England....She almost took the title from Justin "ridiculous rebel" Warner.  I SO wish she had.  

I agree!  I like her and have always wondered why she has not taken a slot of FN in some capacity.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I don't see Jamika as being similar to Tregaye.  Just because they are the same sex and race does not make them the same.

45 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Maybe they want Matt to represent them on instagram and his inclusion is solely for that.  

I agree!  I like her and have always wondered why she has not taken a slot of FN in some capacity.  

Michelle was not interesting to me at all.  She looked sloppy in a way that quite a few male contestants have been criticized for.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I don't see Jamika as being similar to Tregaye.  Just because they are the same sex and race does not make them the same.

Michelle was not interesting to me at all.  She looked sloppy in a way that quite a few male contestants have been criticized for.

I agree on Jamika, they are very different!  

Michele's casual style reflects that of someone living in the coastal north east.   I like that and miss it.  I spent my adult life in MA.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, backformore said:

I think Matthew 3.0 - the Matthew who is on this show, now, is likable.  If I imagine that I had never seen him before, he seems energetic, knowledgeable, and fun.  It's just hard to get the previous version - the hashtag version - out of my mind.

I bet Bobby Flay is going to get harsh with him.  Matthew is so "hot-to-trot" with his southwest flavors.  Let me tell you, poblano peppers and jack cheese DO NOT southwest flavors make!   Besides, he's trying too hard to be "likeable" and "knowledgeable".  He's faker than Giada's boobs.

• Love 3

I don't think she's similar to Tregaye either except for sex and race and that was my point.  I'm inclined to think that FN wanted to add a female of color to their cast of cooks/presenters and they thought Tregaye would be that person.  When she didn't work out, they may have leaned toward Jamika whom they already knew and who would have been a big improvement.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, backformore said:

This is the same way I feel about him. He drove me nuts before, but seems to have calmed down. I don't mind this latest version of Matthew. Let's hope he sticks to this version.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, bluepiano said:

In retrospect, his win was probably preordained from the beginning. My guess is that to get him on the show a third time they had to guarantee him the win. Lord knows why, but whoever makes the decisions at Food Network now can't get enough of him. And to give him some grudging credit, he's evolved into one of the few contestants they've had who combines cooking skills with being comfortable on camera. So many of these people seem to have only area of competence.

Of all the silly meaningless challenges they've come up with, shooting cell phone videos of yourself has to be the dumbest. Like they would ever air a video shot that way on an actual show.

You missed the point completely. These videos and photos are for Instagram feeds, they would never be for a TV show.

33 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

You missed the point completely. These videos and photos are for Instagram feeds, they would never be for a TV show.

Thanks for clarifying. But it still feels to me like a meaningless skill to test, unless they are specifically looking for someone to do social media for Food Network. Also kind of seems like it was intended to give Matthew a slow pitch he could hit out of the park, Instagram being something he does all the time.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Thanks for clarifying. But it still feels to me like a meaningless skill to test, unless they are specifically looking for someone to do social media for Food Network. Also kind of seems like it was intended to give Matthew a slow pitch he could hit out of the park, Instagram being something he does all the time.

Social Media is not a meaningless skill. The traditional TV model is dying. You need to be able to grab the attention of people through social media. It's why I was shocked Jamika didn't get cut then. Her video was a long jumbled mess and her food got knocked.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I think they are looking for someone with social media skills, but they want someone with that as an additional skill to being able to present on TV and even in live venues.  They're not looking for someone to do one thing and that alone.  It's just that SM skills are a more recent skill to add to the usual ones being looked for on this show.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ITALIA said:

Love, love, love that Doucheka got axed. What a narcissistic, homely horse face. She doesn't have a clue on how to cook.

I've eaten her food and it's to die for, so no, she can cook gangbusters around some others I've tried.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Social Media is not a meaningless skill. The traditional TV model is dying. You need to be able to grab the attention of people through social media. It's why I was shocked Jamika didn't get cut then. Her video was a long jumbled mess and her food got knocked.

True.  I cannot watch an instructional video on YouTube unless they get to the point immediately and move quickly through the steps. So many have to do a loooong  introduction, try to be witty with too much chit chat.  A pod cast is another kind of torture, get to the point.  

• Love 2
On 6/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, Blonde Gator said:

I bet Bobby Flay is going to get harsh with him.  Matthew is so "hot-to-trot" with his southwest flavors.  Let me tell you, poblano peppers and jack cheese DO NOT southwest flavors make!   Besides, he's trying too hard to be "likeable" and "knowledgeable".  He's faker than Giada's boobs.

What? Giada has fake boobs!!? On a more serious note, am I the only one that thinks Giada favors ANY attractive male contestant whether they're a talented cook or not? 

38 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Not for nothing, but I found it very funny when only two people showed up for Danushka's dinner party.  

And I think the other tables were all full, so maybe they just weren't fast enough to snag a more desirable "reservation."

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Not for nothing, but I found it very funny when only two people showed up for Danushka's dinner party.  

I did too.  Who would want to willingly spend time with her?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

What? Giada has fake boobs!!? On a more serious note, am I the only one that thinks Giada favors ANY attractive male contestant whether they're a talented cook or not? 

Of course she favors them ....But let's face it, cooking can be learned.  A guy with a handsome face, sexy smile and warm personality is gonna get MY fanny in front of Food Network to watch his show, EVERY TIME....But then, I'm an over-50 lady that likes to look at the sweet, young things....*LOL*

• Love 1

At the risk of being overly generous, Danushka is an acquired taste. At first I disliked her, then I got the character she's going for, and then I realized it's not really rounded out enough for her to be consistently entertaining. It's a tougher sell than Nadia G and she's not pulling it off as well, but I give her credit for the attempt.

So I'm not at all surprised she was the last pick for guests, but I can also see why some would enjoy seeing her do something.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, leighdear said:

Of course she favors them ....But let's face it, cooking can be learned.  A guy with a handsome face, sexy smile and warm personality is gonna get MY fanny in front of Food Network to watch his show, EVERY TIME....But then, I'm an over-50 lady that likes to look at the sweet, young things....*LOL*

So whether  you're over 50 or under 50, age has nothing to do with appreciating beauty. Whether it's a beautiful woman, a handsome man, a Caribbean sunset, your favorite car.  I agree with you, but I don't see any good looking male chefs on Food Network (aside from Chopped contestants) Aside from the occasional contestants that don't win. And for me, there's just something disgusting with Next Food Network Star having Flay & Giada as judges knowing that those 2 ALLEGEDLY had an affair. I always get a vibe from those 2 that there is some sexual tension between them. Get a hotel Bobby & Giada! Lol. 

It will be interesting to see if Matthew can continue as a regular on FN "star". Everytime I turn on the FN Channel it's always the same people who have been on there forever...Ina, Pioneer woman, giada, trisha yearwood, beat bobby flay..guy fieri. 

Edited by chenoa333
On 5/27/2017 at 3:28 PM, backformore said:

In the words of the late comedian John Pinette,  "Gluten is what makes stuff taste good."

John Pinette is dead? Damn, I didn't know that. I like to listen to him when they air his bits on the Sirius comedy channels. 

1 hour ago, MajorWoody said:

John Pinette is dead? Damn, I didn't know that. I like to listen to him when they air his bits on the Sirius comedy channels. 

Yeah, blood clot in 2014. I didn't hear about it until long afterwards either.  I guess fame is relative, because I've heard a lot more about deaths of celebrities less "famous" to me.  Hope he's enjoying a buffet with no lines in heaven.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, J-Man said:

This is probably why she has so many ex-boyfriends.

How anyone could stand to be around the Doucheka for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Her conversations probably revolve around her. She's SO conceited. IMO, she has NOTHING to be conceited about. She's homely, abrasive, way too full of herself, and the food she cooks is mediocre.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, cooksdelight said:

I've eaten her food and it's to die for, so no, she can cook gangbusters around some others I've tried.

She made lamb meatballs over spaghetti squash - how original - NOT. How creative - NOT. I've seen kids on Chopped Junior make MORE creative food than she makes.

(edited)
11 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

LOL, y'all don't know Danushka at all!

She's not like she is on TV. But I get that she's not everyone's cup of tea.

She's EXACTLY what she's like on tv - abrasive, obnoxious, rude, and full of herself b. Guess you missed her on Chopped. The judges didn't LIKE her (major attitude) or her food. That's why she was chopped!!!

Edited by ITALIA
1 hour ago, ITALIA said:

She's EXACTLY what she's like on tv - abrasive, obnoxious, rude, and full of herself b. Guess you missed her on Chopped.

Last I checked, Chopped is on TV.

• Love 5
On 6/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, chenoa333 said:

I thought she only favored the Italian ones.

20 hours ago, ITALIA said:

She made lamb meatballs over spaghetti squash - how original - NOT. How creative - NOT. I've seen kids on Chopped Junior make MORE creative food than she makes.

That menu is probably why hardly no one wanted to come to her dinner.  Sounds disgusting to me.  It might have been passable if she had used real spaghetti.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm not sure I'd come off as I really am were I on TV with all the cameras, lights, etc. around me while trying to cook. I know Danushka, she's a very sweet, kind woman.

Doesn't come across that way on TV and that's all that counts here.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Doesn't come across that way on TV and that's all that counts here.

I agree.  She knew her shtick came across as bitchy the first time she was on. If she was really concerned about the way she was portrayed, she would have worked on showing the "sweet" side.  She wants to be seen as the sarcastic bitch.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I agree.  She knew her shtick came across as bitchy the first time she was on. If she was really concerned about the way she was portrayed, she would have worked on showing the "sweet" side.  She wants to be seen as the sarcastic bitch.

I don't know, maybe it's me because I tend to see beyond appearances when it comes to character, but I don't see her that way at all.  I can tell her shtick is for TV and that she's not some kind of villainess.  Plus I think she's entertaining and original.  So many of the characters on this show are one dimensional stereotypes and predictably yawn-inducing that she's like a breath of fresh air.  I don't expect every woman to be "sweet".  It's not like she's done anything nasty to anyone on the show that I can remember.  It perplexes me that people are so offended by someone that I find relatively innocuous as reality TV personalities go.  <shrug>

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I don't know, maybe it's me because I tend to see beyond appearances when it comes to character, but I don't see her that way at all.  I can tell her shtick is for TV and that she's not some kind of villainess.  Plus I think she's entertaining and original.  So many of the characters on this show are one dimensional stereotypes and predictably yawn-inducing that she's like a breath of fresh air.  I don't expect every woman to be "sweet".  It's not like she's done anything nasty to anyone on the show that I can remember.  It perplexes me that people are so offended by someone that I find relatively innocuous as reality TV personalities go.  <shrug>

She was rude, snarky and bitchy to the others.  And condescending.   She made fun of at least one other contestant's appearance.  She was offensive the first time around and came back just the same.  She has had no "growth" at all.  At least Matthew  seems to be trying to correct what was annoying about him the previous times.

• Love 3