Type keyword(s) to search

Comeback Kitchen

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

Does this mean you don’t trust Rachael? Or does she just joke about stuff when she wants to?

I don't trust her - if she can't appreciate her fans, that is bad form.

• Love 4

I don't really want any of these people to stay on my TV. I'm glad Debbie went home after she was such a dimwit this week. Yaku's shiny shiny beard bothers me. Adam is blah. Jernard is full of himself and annoying. The urban cowgirl I find irritating and not too bright. And Amy is just not all that. Meh. I'm not convinced any of these people can teach me anything. I hope whoever comes back gets sent home quickly, although maybe that's dangerous since I don't yet know how horrid the new contestants are.

• Love 7

Seriously, it's a bit disturbing that the personalities I loved when I was younger (all the way back to when PBS was the only network to show cooking shows) were quite possibly masks that were prepped and prodded by a production company/ network. 

If you want to feel better, read Dearie, the excellent biography of Julia Child.  She was an original and absolutely real.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Rachael Ray is a major opportunist. Back in TWoP days, I read someone who was flying home from one of the food and wine festivals, and said they saw Rachael and her husband just muscle past people to get to the head of the security line. Of course, that could be a total fabrication. My thought when I read that is that she can well afford a private jet. I've also read posts from people who attended her show. They say as soon as the cameras are off, all her warmth disappears and she wants nothing to do with the audience. Very different than Carla Hall and Michael Symon on The Chew - I hear they love interacting with the audience during down times.

I heard those stories too and might have been one of the story tellers as I was once an "audience guest" and posted about that back in the TWoP days.  That green room food that the stars gush about because it's so good is not given to non-star guests that appear on the show.  All we got was a plate of supermarket cheese slices, crackers and soggy under-ripe fruit.  Plus Rachael barely gave us and the rest of the audience a snotty once-over before we went on the air.  The three of us had to beg to be allowed to sit up in the balcony to watch the rest of the show after our segment even though there were plenty of vacant seats.  It's hard to believe that was 8 years ago now.

Getting back to "Comeback Kitchen", add me to the list of people that would like to see Valerie B. and Tyler take over FNS from Giada and Bobby.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Getting back to "Comeback Kitchen", add me to the list of people that would like to see Valerie B. and Tyler take over FNS from Giada and Bobby.

I would love to see that.  I like Valerie so much more then I do Giada.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lh25 said:

I would love to see that.  I like Valerie so much more then I do Giada.

I agree. Mostly because Valerie does not take herself So Very Seriously. I used to like Giada and I enjoy some of her recipes but fame has not been good to her.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've adored Valerie for years. And Tyler is my other FN Husband, aside from Eddie Jackson.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Why does Giada remind me of a Pez Dispenser ? 

Have you seen the picture of her at some Formula One racing event dressed in racing garb including helmet? She absolutely looks like a Pez dispenser, bless her heart.

• Love 3

They ought to have a Comeback Kitchen for the guy who won last year, and poor old Tregaye from the year before. Has anyone ever seen either of them again or did they just disappear off the face of the earth? 

They've brought some also-ran Food Network Star contestants on to Guy's Grocery Games, so maybe you can go pretty far on this loony network without actually winning the competition. Maybe it's better not to win.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

They ought to have a Comeback Kitchen for the guy who won last year, and poor old Tregaye from the year before. Has anyone ever seen either of them again or did they just disappear off the face of the earth? 

Jason Smith is a judge on the baking championship show.  I've seen his face on the promos for it.  Tregaye is supposed to be a guest on FNS this season.  I also saw her in a brief commercial last week to my great surprise, but I forget what it was for now.  I also saw her on an episode of "Guy's Grocery Games" in the past year too.

7 hours ago, Simon47 said:

What is a Pez dispenser?

Wow, I'm old.

• Love 2

ohhh, that's right, I did see that guy on that baking show. Well, yay for him I guess. 

It just seems so odd to me that the FNS competition is the network's highest-rated show and yet the prize awarded is no longer an actual contract to host a cooking show on FN!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

ohhh, that's right, I did see that guy on that baking show. Well, yay for him I guess. 

It just seems so odd to me that the FNS competition is the network's highest-rated show and yet the prize awarded is no longer an actual contract to host a cooking show on FN!

I think that FNS is more popular as a stand-alone show than any of the shows that came out of it after a while.  So it wasn't profitable for them to keep handing out shows that went nowhere, plus they already have plenty of stars, they don't need to hold a competition to find any.  I think they knew that Jason could continue on the baking championship since he was already on it before he won.  They put Tregaye on a spin-off of "The Kitchen" called "The Kitchen Sink", but it bombed and FN pulled it after only 3 episodes.  I remember that a lot of people on social media didn't seem to like her very much.  She didn't bother me that much but who knows?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Kathcart said:

That's because FN is giving all it's cooking shows to any former celebrities who can boil water.

• Love 8

Had a power outage halfway through the show Sunday night, so I just now caught the second half.  What is up with this "can't chose a losing team" crap?

The Southern (?) Elegance team was obviously a mess and either Adam with the worst food, or Jernard with his big mouth, should have been booted.  

I'll kind of miss Trace and his Beatles wig.

Speaking of big mouth, at least Tyler covered his the times he was talking with his mouth full.  Now if he would just shave or grow a damn beard.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Kathcart said:

They've brought some also-ran Food Network Star contestants on to Guy's Grocery Games, so maybe you can go pretty far on this loony network without actually winning the competition. Maybe it's better not to win.

Tregaye was in a Laughing Cow cheese commercial I saw the other day that aired during either Comeback Kitchen on Sunday or the GGG with Martie Duncan on Wednesday.

• Love 1

If you can't pronounce matzo, have never made or eaten a matzo ball, there is no way you are making a decent one (whether floater or sinker) without a recipe and practice.  Shenanigans, I say.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Brookside said:

If you can't pronounce matzo, have never made or eaten a matzo ball, there is no way you are making a decent one (whether floater or sinker) without a recipe and practice.  Shenanigans, I say.

She didn’t make one she made a meatball and used matzo instead of breadcrumbs in her meatball and didn’t serve it as a soup.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She didn’t make one she made a meatball and used matzo instead of breadcrumbs in her meatball and didn’t serve it as a soup.

Thanks!  You were definitely paying more attention than me!

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Thanks!  You were definitely paying more attention than me!

It’s only because I read this thread before I watched and so paid attention when she made it because of your post! They tried to gloss over it, probably because it was a similar issue with Yaku not invoking pastrami on rye.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I know they recorded this a while ago, but it's unfortunate that they didn't re-edit to take out the part where Tyler sounded like he was already ready to replace Anthony Bourdain.

I had this same thought! and said out loud “Tyler you know the last time they spent that much money on a show was A Cooks Tour 15 years ago!”

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I had this same thought! and said out loud “Tyler you know the last time they spent that much money on a show was A Cooks Tour 15 years ago!”

biakbiak - are we the only two people who watched this show?  :-)

• Love 2

I watched it and wasn't a bit surprised when Adam and Amy were the last two standing.  I figured they would advance them both.  I fail to understand what they see in Amy but FN seems determined to hang on to her.  At least they got rid of Sarah.

• Love 5
(edited)

If FN wants to keep promoting someone, just do it and stop having an excuse to come up this ridiculous kind of show.

And telling people like Yaku and Jennard they have star quality. They don't.

Still like Valerie but Tyler is pretty awful.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Who won? My Dvr stopped recording before the winner was announced

The winners weren't announced on this show. They were announced about 15-20 minutes in on "Food Network Star."

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Both Adam and Amy advanced to Food Network Star.

Haha, I fast-forwarded FNS until they revealed Adam and then elected to sleep and save the rest for another night. Well, if that's the case I'm happy for Amy, as she was quite good. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Both Adam and Amy advanced to Food Network Star.

Thank you. I am actually. I am not surprised by this as Valerie and Tyler did sat they were having a hard time making a decision 

Edited by Pepper the Cat
Cat interference
  • Love 1

Just finished watching....(the College World Series preliminaries have been on all weekend and my team made it to Omaha!!! Hail State and the Rally Banana!)...so I am a bit behind. Once I watched the "shows" everyone put on, I figured both Adam and Amy would make it... seemed as though Tyler and Valarie really could not decide or FN wanted 12 people in the contest! They both were pretty good with the exception of the shucking of the oysters but you know what? Most people probably have a problem with them so it was realistic. Now onto the Next Food Network Star...........yeah, right!

• Love 1