Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I had to go to Walmart for a few things before Christmas and saw two full isles of Pioneer Woman merchandise. Those cowboy boots we saw upthread were made into lamps, salt and pepper shakers and goodness knows what else. I didn’t venture down the isle to take it all in. My daughter likes her stuff and in the past bought a few pieces. No more. They chipped easily and she realized there was no value for her money. I think a lot of people have come to this conclusion which is why the isles were mostly full. 

I got a laugh out of the pajama picture. I’m surprised she talked Ladd into it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I am eternally grateful that the local Walmart in my rural area of Michigan does not carry any of her crap.

At my local Walmart they have some plates and cookery stuff, but no clothes. You have to buy those online. I asked about that, The lady said that "they have had a few returns in the clothes." I bet!

• Love 1

I think the last time I ventured into Wal-Mart was pre-pandemic, so I have no clue what the PW stock is like now. I do remember seeing some of the cookware. I never want to buy any celebrity cookware line because the quality is rarely there. I'd rather spend the extra money on guaranteed quality like All-Clad and Le Creuset. Note that PW uses Le Creuset on her show.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Automne said:

quality like All-Clad and Le Creuset.

I love both of those. I will admit that I got a few Rachael Ray nonstick frying pans and they are still good after 4 years of use. 

I do find it laughable that she doesn’t even use her own cookware (exclusively) on her show. 
I’d never thought to notice. I will now. Isn’t it poor when you watch a show not for the recipes or because you like the host, but because you want to see what ware she cooks in. 

• Love 4
On 12/28/2021 at 8:21 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I had to go to Walmart for a few things before Christmas and saw two full isles of Pioneer Woman merchandise. Those cowboy boots we saw upthread were made into lamps, salt and pepper shakers and goodness knows what else. I didn’t venture down the isle to take it all in. My daughter likes her stuff and in the past bought a few pieces. No more. They chipped easily and she realized there was no value for her money. I think a lot of people have come to this conclusion which is why the isles were mostly full. 

I got a laugh out of the pajama picture. I’m surprised she talked Ladd into it. 

I have to admit to having a couple of her things.  I like the color, which my kitchen desperately needs.  I needed a smaller rectangle pan, and got hers that was in a set with a 9x13.  They're pretty and bright and have held up well.  I also have some kitchen towels that are (I think) hers.  Again - wanted the bold colors.

• Love 3

I missed the new show this morning, had to go to a funeral. An unvaxxed member of our church died of covid. I think it had her mom in it.  Anyway here is an article on how Ree wants more acting roles. It says she "wants to get out of the kitchen." I'll bet. It says "With more offers from tinseltown coming in"  she wants to do them. HUH?? She can't act even on a cooking show-very awkward. It says Ladd is against it. It also says she is trying to get Ladd to not do any more ranch work, to leave it to the younger guys. Then what is he supposed to do all day long? At least he is not lazy.https://okmagazine.com/p/ree-drummond-showbiz-career-husband-ladd-tension-pioneer-woman/

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I had that on in the background and things started to go downhill in the very first segment. Ree's mom made a white clam pizza which actually looked very good and much better than anything Ree's made. Paige commented, "Gee's (what they were calling grandma) is after your job, Mom," or something to that extent. I think that was the first nail in the coffin for "Gee."

I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the show, so I didn't see what else they made nor did I hear Ree tell her mother it was time to go home, but I can certainly believe she said it!

Edited by CharlizeCat
  • Love 2

This "showbiz cheat sheet" article about how she starts her day. She says she gets up at 5 a.m., sometimes earlier. Ouch! When does Ladd get up? When do they go to sleep? Some mornings she makes food for Ladd and the hired help, other days she prepares for filming. What do the guys do on those days (maybe the housekeeper cooks for them)? Of course there is no mention of a maid, housekeeper, professional cleaning service, gardeners etc. This showbiz cheat sheet has to be taking money to run these fluff PR pieces. She sure doesn't run her website or do much writing anymore, It is run by Hearst digital media. And they say that they make a commission when you buy chosen products purchased through their links. Now there are the Valentine's Day recipies, and outfits to wear on Valentine nights (I doubt her fans dress up for a special "date night" it seems that only newlyweds and dating couples do that).  All the articles are written by other people with their byline. Now she is just a brand, a money machine who puts her name on junk made in communist China. But the money is great, I would love to make that kind of money! Does anyone know what her brother Mike died of? I think down's syndrome people maybe have heart issues, and don't live as long? I am not sure. Weird that they can't say. What about her nephew Caleb with his drunk driving arrest? Was that swept under the rug and just "went away" due to their political power? She says her favorite show is the real housewives. But what town? Those shows are all fake, with fake cat fighting by ladies paid to behave badly. And it is her favorite show. She is mindless. And proud of it. 

• Love 2

Look at the comments from this article in the daily mail. Mostly negative. This was from a few days ago. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10540885/Pioneer-Woman-Ree-Drummond-shares-sweet-snap-twinning-mother-Gerre-Schwert.html#reader-comments I looked on her instagram page. Her BFF Hyacynth has written a cook book. The usual "save time, money, sanity." Yawn. https://www.instagram.com/thepioneerwoman/?hl=en. In the daily mail article, it mentions that they still haven't revealed the cause of death for her brother Mike. Why not? Was it a heart attack? (he was 54 years old so that is a possibility). It's not like it could be aids so why the big secret? Maybe covid?

• Useful 1

I flipped over for The Kitchen today and Ree was on with reviewing one of her crap recipes and made one of her stupid jokes and then exclaimed JK! (just kidding?).

I don't like how she tries to be one of the kids...and doubt they would exclaim JK too.

• Love 3
On 2/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, Dineen said:

Look at the comments from this article in the daily mail. Mostly negative. This was from a few days ago. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10540885/Pioneer-Woman-Ree-Drummond-shares-sweet-snap-twinning-mother-Gerre-Schwert.html#reader-comments I looked on her instagram page. Her BFF Hyacynth has written a cook book. The usual "save time, money, sanity." Yawn. https://www.instagram.com/thepioneerwoman/?hl=en. In the daily mail article, it mentions that they still haven't revealed the cause of death for her brother Mike. Why not? Was it a heart attack? (he was 54 years old so that is a possibility). It's not like it could be aids so why the big secret? Maybe covid?

I haven’t seen her taking goodies over to her BFF Hyacinth’s house in I don’t know how long. I suspect they fell out and this cookbook might have been the catalyst. I couldn’t pull up that link to her Instagram page to see if they are currently friendly or not. 

Most autopsies are public record. I wonder if any of the sleuths over at Reddit tried to pull up that information. Personally it’s just sad that he is gone. Like Bob Saget, the family might have had the record sealed because it contains personal info. Ree is never transparent. We will probably never know and other than curiosity it doesn’t matter to me what his cause of death was. 

I’m over watching her shows. I’m getting to hate the Food Network now because it’s just flooded with them. Usually only one new show per week and then repeats ad nauseam.  Always full of her unhealthy recipes. I usually just tune in when I want to get some ideas about something I haven’t cooked before or I just need some background noise while cleaning and nothing else is on.  It’s a shame as with a little restructuring her show could become more informative, and have better recipes (like the ones that Ree ate for her weight loss). I expect as soon as Alex gets pregnant we will be seeing how to make baby food. I’d be ok if she just showed how to plan a meal for a party, pulled the food together, showed how to lay it all out and set the table properly. Heck I’d even watch if she showed how to fold a napkin 5 different fancier ways other than folding it into halves. I guess I have imagination and she doesn’t. Her show just rehashes the same old bla bla bla. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’d be ok if she just showed how to plan a meal for a party, pulled the food together, showed how to lay it all out and set the table properly. Heck I’d even watch if she showed how to fold a napkin 5 different fancier ways other than folding it into halves.

That's why we have our dear Ina.

• Love 6

I don't know why they are keeping up the farce that this crap is being filmed by the family.  A camera on an unsteady selfie stick does NOT produce the quality of film that we are seeing.  Clearly there is a professional crew in the kitchen so why the farce?

Of course her whole life is a farce so....

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Of course her whole life is a farce so....

And fake. I also believe there is a food stylist behind the scenes chopping and prepping. I don’t think for one minute she is doing all the dishes either. Just no. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yes. Why doesn’t that channel feature her more frequently? I’d happily watch…even repeats. 

Since commercial tv is all about making money, Ree's shows must have ratings that are bringing in the dollars. Ina's must not get the ratings Ree does. There was a poster who gave ratings on the FN thread. The Kitchen was almost always first, and Ree's ratings were good.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I couldn’t pull up that link to her Instagram page to see if they are currently friendly or not.

There is a picture of Hy's book on her instagram page. I did some internet searching on down syndrome people-they die on average 28 years younger than average-often from congenital heart problems. I agree it does not really matter what he died of, and yes it is sad. But she has and had put herself out there publically to become famous, so in a way she should say what he died of. I know everyone, even famous people, deserve a certain level of privacy, but I too noticed that she is not transparent. Nan died of cancer, and she did not (I don't think) mention the cause as cancer, just that she died. Her nephew, Stu's brother, committed suicide. She did not mention that, although in a way I can't blame her for keeping quiet as that is more painful and embaressing for the family. She is a fake  and an imposter and I think what interests us is how she gets away with it. I also don't believe she does the dishes after the show. Nor her kids, they are probably very spoiled. As to the food stylist, who knows? I wish more people from Pawhuska would come forward with information about this fake, wealthy family pretending to be just ordinary people.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Dineen said:
4 hours ago, Dineen said:

I wish more people from Pawhuska would come forward with information about this fake, wealthy family pretending to be just ordinary people.

I think this fake, wealthy family brings a lot of business ($$$) into Pawhuska and no one wants that to go away.

Messed up the quote...too tired to try to figure out what I did...sorry...use the expand to read my reply...

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 1

Seems like other FN shows are almost back to normal.

Not Ree's. Not when she can have her children/SIL/nephew there. She must pay them well since they don't work otherwise and seem to live there. Except Toddie and Jamal and Marlboro man anymore.

She often forgets an ingredient. And her stupid jokes and preening. And ridiculous recipes.

• Love 5
(edited)

nothing else is on TV this AM, so here I sit watching food network re-runs.. I think I am into 1.5 hours... Alex just got engaged.  Not really watching for the food recipes - which Ree seems to have turned a new page - how many instant/ready made products along with more questionable dishes, on a lower production budget using Alex as cameraperson #1?  Is that what 4 years of college tuition led to ? I've always wondered if that is what the offspring was expected to do - go to college, have a little  adult fun but come back and run the ranch and/or other parental businesses. Side note: Buddy Valestro oldest in in college now too - same thought question applies - is she supposed to be groomed to take over. hmmm

I guess I was looking for more of an update on her family and the ranch hands. Like how is the grandfather Chuck doing, any new ranchers since the boys are college/high school age, is cowboy Josh still around, what is Todd doing, is Pagie bringing her boyfriend around, going to bryce's college football games, what breed is the new house dog,  how is the restaurant (and anything else they built/rehab) in their town, stuff like that. They kept showing the back side of the house (or is that the lodge) air-view to the point, I felt it was a little like showing off - circa 1980s "Dallas" series..

I thought I heard she was focusing on  recipes a little more on the healthier side and made for a smaller group of people - as her nest is emptying. Maybe I have to wait until grandbaby comes along and then the baby food line by pioneer woman will come into existence.

Old Ree would have at least cooked rice -as she would have 99 varieties in her pantries. She opened a orange-bag brand of 90-second microwave Jasmine rice. Then another dish she used roasted can corn . Old Ree would have least put it on the grill or flat top to caramelize. Isn't corn a easy find staple in Okla?  One dish she put shrimp and somekind of beef pieces in & out of the skillet at the same time -which meant most likely the shrimp overcooked. Then it was the flat bread pizza with too many mozz (she cut them in circles) and huge broccoli flower pieces. I think she is the first person on TV I've seen use pre-made pkg gnocchi . Last questionable was a quesadilla where she used mayo to toast the flour shell - the thing looked so greasy..

How many years we need to hear the men folk don't like wine, and/or their food cooked with wine, yet she adds it any way?

Last snark - Ree's hair looks awfully good, trimmed , colored and full - esp at the end. It is all hers or did she get into adding pieces?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

I'm sitting here trying to pass time doing google searches. Saw this about the Drummond land value. I don't know if it is true, not an expert on land values.

When it comes to land you can play with the numbers a lot. Most of that land is worthless, it isn't usable for farming and some of it might be okay for grazing but most of it useless. However since there is so much of it and having land appraised is a scam for the most part, and subjective. When they want the land to be worth something, when it benefits them, they can have it over valued, when they don't want it to be worth anything they can have it undervalued.

The land is useless for development. Unless it has minerals or oil it isn't worth much. At auction it would go for pennies.
They can just make is seem like it is worth a lot because they have a lot of it. Plus you have to value the land at a certain level to get that government check.

This is one of those many times, it isn't worthwhile to be envious of other people or put them on a pedestal. Most people, their wealth is smoke and mirrors.

• Useful 1

I think Ree finds herself hilarious. Always forgetting an ingredient, a bowl too small...

And her daughters, SIL, nephew hanging around...don't they have jobs elsewhere?

And even now they cannot take a bite of the food and Ree acts coy about doing so as well.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I think Ree finds herself hilarious. Always forgetting an ingredient, a bowl too small...

And even now they cannot take a bite of the food and Ree acts coy about doing so as well.

I think they are all on her payroll. Occasionally she will let SIL taste the  food and also occasionally Alex gets to taste. I only have the show on as background noise when I get up early...

ETA there isn't anything she makes that I would even make in a pinch.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Nephew ? I thought he was in college and/or ranch hand heir-apparent #3 ? He didn't hang around her cooks much when he was younger.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

ETA there isn't anything she makes that I would even make in a pinch.

I came across one of her recipes, the broccoli and cheddar soup, that with some tweaking tasted very good. Otherwise I’m with you…too much butter, sugar or salt. My doctor would make a lot of money if I lived on her diet as my health would suffer. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I came across one of her recipes, the broccoli and cheddar soup, that with some tweaking tasted very good. Otherwise I’m with you…too much butter, sugar or salt. My doctor would make a lot of money if I lived on her diet as my health would suffer. 

ITA. I think its at the point her recipes might need a disclaimer if there is such a thing - which may be happening online...

"This recipe has been updated and may differ from what was originally published or broadcast. " , see recipe below.

For me it was her monster cookies.. too much in one recipe. Its no way my health could take that.  it was like anything salty/ sugar treat she had on hand (ie pretzels, Halloween candies, raisins etc) went into the cookie.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/monster-cookies-recipe-2120387

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

The only time I see/hear this show is if I have FN on in the background.

Unless somebody was blessed with really good genes and flawless skin, I know few women who shine without makeup.

Alex is the ONLY one of Ree's offspring that I actually like. I was hopeful that she and her husband had found refuge in Dallas after their wedding, and I thought Alex had a job with a consulting firm there. Sorry to see her sucked back into the Ree vortex. 

The other girl needs an emergency drop of Olaplex. Her fried dyed blonde hair looks terrible. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

The only time I see/hear this show is if I have FN on in the background.

Unless somebody was blessed with really good genes and flawless skin, I know few women who shine without makeup.

Alex is the ONLY one of Ree's offspring that I actually like. I was hopeful that she and her husband had found refuge in Dallas after their wedding, and I thought Alex had a job with a consulting firm there. Sorry to see her sucked back into the Ree vortex. 

The other girl needs an emergency drop of Olaplex. Her fried dyed blonde hair looks terrible. 

Isn't the oldest son working on being a hot QB at a big college football pgm  - meaning a few muscles, weight in the correct places, age, good football stats and hopefully calls one day from the the NFL can definitely change a man's appearance...

• Love 1

I read somewhere  that green tomatoes were toxic. On the internet. Does anyone know if this is true? Sliced cauliflower looks like sliced brains in an anatomy lab. Sorry, it just does! 

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, Dineen said:

I read somewhere  that green tomatoes were toxic. On the internet. Does anyone know if this is true? Sliced cauliflower looks like sliced brains in an anatomy lab. Sorry, it just does! 

huh ?? Toxic green tomatoes? Toxic - like it can cause severe illness and/or death ?? I can't think of any vegetable or fruit that is toxic...

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/

Edited by sATL

Green, thus unripe tomatoes contain a substance called tomatine in addition to solanine. Both tomatine and solanine are toxic so it is not wise to eat green tomatoes in large quantities. Solanine poisoning can cause unpleasant symptoms like fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness and lethargy.

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2020/09/15/garden-myth-are-green-tomatoes-poisonous/

I did a further search. They are only slightly toxic. I guess you have to eat them hard and green or a lot of them.

I love fried green tomatoes. I don't make them very well - have a hard time getting the breading to stick. There are 2 restaurants near me that serve southern fare. Their fried green tomatoes are excellent. Yum!