Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

On 9/8/2022 at 7:43 AM, Nicmar said:

I was on the Walmart website and looking at general stuff and I saw one of her ugly turquoise sweater monstrosity

Most of her clothes are ugly to cater to her reeple, who have gotten very fat eating her fat filled food. The clothes are mostly shapeless to fit an overweight person. I am middle aged, and now not thin, so I am not attacking anyone for their weight. In a way what you wear really doesn't matter, as long as it's not a  falling apart rag with a lot of holes.  It is what is inside that counts.  Many reviews state her clothes are flimsy, which means they won't last long. She is all about marketing, self-promotion, making the moohlah, selling low quality junk to her starry eyed naive fans. She hasn't had a "giveaway" or a "contest" in several years. No need for that now. Now her website is a slick, commercialized advertisement for her products.  I did not see her show this morning. Was it the usual mediocrity? The usual waste of time?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dineen said:

The usual waste of time?

I thought so. At one point I saw her in a blue blouse and I had to look twice as I thought she was wearing her pajamas 😂 She really needs to up her game. Her foods are recycled with little variety. 

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

https://www.mashed.com/1003458/the-hilarious-reason-ree-drummond-dyes-her-hair/

she  also now has a collection of jewelry, boots, shoes, jackets, purses. All cheap stuff at walmart. Ordinary cheap clothes you can find anywhere with her name on it. Nothing new at all, especially the jewelry. All copied from elsewhere. At walmart. I wonder how much sells? I think it all has to be ordered online. Her boot "collection" is the reason there hasn't been a 12 days of boots contest for several years. People won't buy if they think they might win a nicer pair. The stuff is all cheap.

• Useful 3

Every recipe in this mornings show I have seen and/or made myself. I have made  the "plum/fig jam on cheese" a bunch of times, and first discovered that as a free sample at my local supermarket in the cheese department. It is actually quite good. The same with melted cheese. 

I looked on her facebook page about the new products. One thousand fawning comments. I wonder if those women know enough to look for reviews? If they did they would not be so eager to buy overpriced junk. Someone mentioned she was selling yarn too. I looked that up on walmart's  site. I looked at the comments. One said too expensive. One said her sewing kit did not have much in it. I noticed there was not one verified purchase, although I 'm sure the sewing kit lady who gave a one star bought it. Hopefully she returned it, which I know you can, walmart will even take back things bought online. There were a lot of "incentivized reviews" which are useless and usually made up lies. It must be aweful to be so focused on making money, to be so money hungry that you continuously screw over your fans. Almost a bit soul-less. Another thing she sells is PW applique Charlie dogs and red trucks etc that you can sew onto a project like a quilt. What kind of a loser would want that? Can you imagine making a quilt, putting those stupid hokey things on them, and giving it as a gift, or putting it on your bed? She has to be a raging narcissist to think someone would sew Charlie onto a project.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Dineen said:

I wonder how much sells? 

I would wager that most of her fawning Reeple are People of Walmart so they probably snatch that crap up.  And since they are used to shoddy goods from Walmart, when they fall apart, chip, or don't work, that's par for the course.

• Like 1

Her PR team engages in "payola journalism," Every day or so there is a new article that pops up when you google her name on either "yahoo life" "usa today" (aka news for the moron) and other fluffy outlets that subtley promote her, writing fawning articles with no criticism ever. And quoting her extensively about her new line of this or that. So it is obviously a paid advertisement. I have noticed that she is the only "tv chef" that does this. Even Martha Stewart does not do this. Her competence, knowledge-ableness (yes I know that is bad grammer!) and talent speak for themselves. Giada does not do this. Ree's only true talent is self-promotion. I must say it has served her well, she has done well for herself but it just lowers the ethics of society when people do that. Shame on the writers who do this for money.  There are pr firms that specialize in this.  The first article has these 3 comments:

Jammy1

1 day ago

These are ugly, old lady designs & patterns.....Large Florals, Ruffles, quilting...etc. I'm a senior and would never purchase something this hideous and old fashioned.

I've seen alot of her clothing at Walmart . . . mostly on the clearance racks.

Racinglady

1 day ago

Just wish some of the clothing were made from cotton rather than polyester!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ree-drummond-expands-fashion-label-130000755.html

I hate usa today, It is the worst simple minded garbage you can put into your head.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/food-dining/2022/08/21/pioneer-woman-ree-drummond-kitchen-staples/10338980002/

https://theoutline.com/post/2978/these-are-the-people-paying-journalists-to-promote-brands-in-articles

https://bettermarketing.pub/how-283-50-can-get-you-featured-on-yahoo-news-and-finance-c105b10f0109

I think I read she is comming out with a pajama line. Her voracious desire for money knows no bounds! If you have the time, go on the walmart website where you can buy online, and look at the reviews of her "products." Lots of bad ones talking about low quality. The good ones are "incentivized reviews" which really are paid positive reviews. Her website no longer allows reviews of her products anymore, I don't think-I don't see any way to comment anymore. Now she has posted a recipie for the queen's pancake recipie. She says it makes her "teary eyed." What utter bullshit. Any American that cries over that has a mental problem. And maybe British too. And I doubt the queen has ever cooked anything even once in her life. 

• Useful 1

I'm loving reading all the snark here.  I turned her program on this weekend and had to turn it off.  Her voice just grates on my ears - high-pitched baby talk.  And why are her kids still filming her.  Unless these are reruns? The four of them stand around and make comments and laugh when she inevitably says, "Oops, I forgot to add the sour cream/butter(insert anything)!" It's her schtick to act like a dingbat when she is cooking, I guess.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

I turned her program on this weekend and had to turn it off.  Her voice just grates on my ears - high-pitched baby talk.  And why are her kids still filming her.  

I landed on it by mistake (and frantically started punching buttons) but wondered the same thing.  Is this some sort of cost savings - DIY filming, no crew to pay?

She is such a dolt.

• Love 2

I also dislike the "kid" camera crew shows.  They are cringe inducing amateurish.   At least with the older shows there was some variety in scenery or other people around.  These are boring and I seldom watch more than a couple of minutes, if that much.

Oh, I also dislike the Oops, I forgot this ingredient moments! These occur way too often for a supposedly professionally produced show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tippi said:

I also dislike the "kid" camera crew shows.  They are cringe inducing amateurish.   At least with the older shows there was some variety in scenery or other people around.  These are boring and I seldom watch more than a couple of minutes, if that much.

Oh, I also dislike the Oops, I forgot this ingredient moments! These occur way too often for a supposedly professionally produced show.

I don’t mind the kid camera crew shows. They don’t bother me much. But I’m with you on the “ooops I forgot…” moments. Totally unnecessary and not funny or cute at all. I do want to see her actually cook something from scratch; not just open cans and boxes. Anybody could do that!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Tippi said:

I also dislike the "kid" camera crew shows.  They are cringe inducing amateurish.  professionally produced show.

I imagine the Reeple gush about how adooooorable the spawn are.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, Tippi said:

That is probably scripted to make her look likeable. I don't know why she still has her kids filming.  On facebook she has "cowboy caviar" a recipie stolen from the original creator who called it "Texas caviar."  Need to push the brand. The incessant merchandising continues unabated, with a new line of "seasonal items" like an appetizer plate etc. I have noticed that in the last few years fewer people are commenting on her facebook page, it seems to me. I could be wrong. The "super fans" comment every day. (No life whatsoever I guess). Here is a link to the wiki page for "texas caviar." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_caviar

• Useful 1

Hello Cats and Gators, long time, no see.

I was flipping through the channels the other day and who should I come upon but our favorite Phony Balony TV cooking lady. She was making chicken enchilasagna. I make my own version of this layering soft corn tortillas, chicken and cheddar jack cheese with canned enchilada sauce. Not elegant but my god, the horror of this thing she made. She used red and green canned enchilada sauce, and chicken but she was layering it on lasagna noodles with freaking ricotta cheese! I don't know about you but I don't think I would eat this abomination.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 2

I love how Sullen & Sulky are always the scapegoats for these crimes against food. "I gotta feed two hungry quarterbacks." (Brag much?) I would think that if they are in serious training, that they would need to eat healthier and maintain their weight. Heavy meals like that every night (with multiple helpings) are going to pack on the pounds no matter how much they train. Oh, I forgot ... boys don't vegetables. 

• Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

She says that the professional camera crew is back. And that she has been bar hopping with her sister. Maybe that is made up as well to add some spice to her show. I hope this Christmas there isn't another cheesy hokey hallmark tv show for her to be in. She will most certainly be in a christmas cookie bake off. She says her sister is in Pawhuska a lot more now. She has a teen boy, where is he? I wonder if her marriage is ok? In the video in this people magazine paid for article, Ladd looks older. Maybe due to his injury?

https://people.com/food/ree-drummonds-husband-ladd-jokes-ree-and-her-sister-need-to-go-to-the-bar-a-little-less/

• Useful 1

PW bakeware is now "secretly on sale" (whatever the hell that means as she put that as a title on her website) at commie china-mart. I looked at the walmart order page, the reviews. It seems that the commies don't know how to pack ceramic to go through international mail. Many complaints about receiving the items all smashed up because all they would use for packing is one piece of paper. Can you say cheap? I read that to return it you have to ship it back yourself. Many people won't bother with that, and if you have to pay the return shipping fee, well, it doesn't pay to do that  So walmart is too cheap to use bubble wrap. The site has the "incentivized reviews" which I believe are  mostly fake.  Also, complaints that the lids do not fit properly, and the size of the pan (13 x9) is not what they actually got. Why can't Ree step in and step up and make sure the quality is better? I imagine some of the reeple will become disinchanted with her if they get enough crappy products, or products smashed to pieces when they open the package. There is a people magazine online article that comes up when you google her name about her kids. Pictures of her daughters at exotic locals like Venice Italy and Vail. Picture of Paige on the ocean, although it does not say where. Just simple country folk, the wimans -folk busy from dawn until dusk a' churn'n the butter, milk'n the cows, darnin the mens-folk's socks, all the while stoking the fires, reading the bible,  and a' keep'n the young'ins out of trouble.  Salt of the earth and backbone of America.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, Dineen said:

She says that the professional camera crew is back.

Yes!  I watched this morning and not a Paige, Mauricio, Alex or that nephew in sight.  No more puerile banter, hollow laughs or fishing for compliments.   We did get visits from Ladd and an appearance from long-absent Todd, with clips of them gathering hay on the ranch.  Those Drummond genes make some tall kids, though... Todd is another giant, like his sisters.

Someone decided that todays menu was comprised of "Fun Family Food".  The food was forgettable:  a cheeseburger salad (broken up burgers tossed on lettuce), cookie dough bars, pizza dough with an assortment of vegs on it, and smashed potatoes used to make nachos.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, patty1h said:

a cheeseburger salad

Gross!! Greasy meat on lettuce. There is a picture of Alex from 2013 with black hair on her website. Did she temporarily dye it? I thought Alex was a natural blond?  Those kids are amazons. The girls must be close to 6 feet tall, and the boys 6'2." The website is nothing more than a vehicle to sell her products and make money. No charm left in it at all. There will be no more "12 days of boots" ever again. That was actually kind of charming. Now just a "buy my stuff" and "aren't I just hot stuff?"

• Love 1

Well Ladd's father Chuck has died. He died in his sleep at age 79. He had been declining for a few months before that. That is a shame. He seemed very down to earth and authentic, unlike Ree. It is on her website. She said "I don't know what happens when we die, but I would like to think their souls are somehow reunited and celebrating. I thought you were a bible believing Christian, so you must know.

• Sad 3
22 hours ago, Dineen said:

She said "I don't know what happens when we die, but I would like to think their souls are somehow reunited and celebrating. I thought you were a bible believing Christian, so you must know.

She is so full of it.  She loves to advertise showering gifts on the local minister for the publicity but apparently hasn't gone beyond that to actual knowledge of biblical teachings. 

I am sorry about her father-in-law as he appeared to be a nice man.  But that doesn't change the fact that Ree is a total poseur and will probably milk this in the press somehow.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

She is so full of it.  She loves to advertise showering gifts on the local minister for the publicity but apparently hasn't gone beyond that to actual knowledge of biblical teachings. 

I am sorry about her father-in-law as he appeared to be a nice man.  But that doesn't change the fact that Ree is a total poseur and will probably milk this in the press somehow.

I’m sad to hear this. He was always enjoyable when he appeared on her show. I think the last time we saw him was at Alex’s wedding and I thought he looked frail. 

I’m sure we will get a “best of Chuck” episode in the future. When her MIL died, they did an episode where she cooked while the rest of them cleared out the family cemetery. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m sure we will get a “best of Chuck” episode in the future. When her MIL died, they did an episode where she cooked while the rest of them cleared out the family cemetery. 

I was just thinking the same - what did Pa-Pa like to eat or for her to make.... esp at holiday time...  and the way he liked his steaks cooked

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Ree made herself Executive Producer of her show - might explain a lot.

She gets more money that way. I think she and Ladd "own" the show, and "sell" it to the food network. Maybe "renting" each time it is shown is a good way to put it. IMO the "show" which is listed as entertainment, reality, not "a cooking show" is just a vehicle to hook and reel in her viewers to buy her products. Here is a link to an article that is mostly copied from her website. There is no journalism here, just copying what she said. I believe her PR firm pays for these article to promote her and keep her name out there-i.e. keep her "relavant."

https://people.com/food/ree-drummond-mourns-death-of-father-in-law-we-will-all-miss-pa-pa/

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dineen said:

I think she and Ladd "own" the show, and "sell" it to the food network.

Do you know this as fact? Do you have a link verifying it? My understanding is that FN owns all the shows they air. Once FN dumped Paula Deen, she paid FN a pretty penny to buy her shows so she had control over what FN could do with them. Ina Garten has said she has no control over how the shows she makes for FN are aired on FN.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Do you know this as fact?

No I don't. I read that a while back somewhere. I read that Ree and Ladd pay the production company, and then the FN buys it from them. Sorry but I don't remember where I read that. It really doesn't matter though, the quality of her show is bad.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:45 PM, chessiegal said:

Do you know this as fact? Do you have a link verifying it? My understanding is that FN owns all the shows they air. Once FN dumped Paula Deen, she paid FN a pretty penny to buy her shows so she had control over what FN could do with them. Ina Garten has said she has no control over how the shows she makes for FN are aired on FN.

This sounds almost like Taylor Swift. Artist (ie cook/chef) does all the work and someone else owns the rights. so they have to start/re-do/re-make all over.

I wonder what happens in cases like the Neely's - who divorced and most of their recipes came from the restaurant or family notecards/ composition books. Trisha too - she used to pull out the original handwritten notes from her parent's recipes.

Hopefully in the future for newer cooks like Ree and FarmGirl Molly that they can negotiate a contract so they can keep their rights to their products. That cookie Ree makes that has almost every Halloween candy there is - she really needs to solely keep the rights to it. No one should ever try to reproduce that.

What channel did Cake Boss air on before it went to discovery? Buddy giving up his late fathers bakery secrets ??? nahh - hard to believe..That crew frequently goes to that original spiral notebook (which probably qualifies for the Smithsonian) ,  written by the late Buddy Sr. I can't see Buddy giving up anything, really - that man is old-school-nostalgic as they come. He seems to thrive living in the past. Plus those earlier seasons featured his late mom so much, and her fight with ALS, I would think he would want to keep a tight reign on that.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
On 11/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, sATL said:

That cookie Ree makes that has almost every Halloween candy there is - she really needs to solely keep the rights to it. No one should ever try to reproduce that.

Is a recipe eligible for copyright?

A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. 

I had to go into walmart today. I looked for her frozen foods. None. I asked an employee and she looked it up. Said all they carry at my walmart was her cooking utensils and pots etc. No food.  That has to be because they didn't sell. Her christmas stuff is out now, online. wow, constantly coming out with more and new stuff. At what point will the reeple's houses become so stuffed with her products they will stop, or stop because their family called the "hoarders" show and a psychologist and garbage crew came to the door. LOL I am trying to be funny.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, sATL said:

speaking of filming - has she gone back to the foodnetwork professional crew? I couldn't take the at-home-family once travel re-opened and the pandemic subsided

I watched the show and yes, I think she has her professional crew back. Her daughter Alex did show up because you know that her family cannot resist her delectable dishes, but otherwise no family, camera’s or crew was visible. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

Ree is selling blue light computer glasses

I just googled this. Here is what I found: 

Should I wear blue light glasses while working on computer?

The American Academy of Ophthalmology says you don't need them and has gone on record as not recommending any kind of special eyewear for computer users. The organization says blue light from digital devices does not lead to eye disease and doesn't even cause eyestrain.Dec 16, 2019. So they are not necessary. It looks as though walmart sells them for $9.99. Having glasses on one's face is annoying. Reading glasses are sometimes needed when you get to a certain age. Don't people at least do google searches about whether something is necessary? Yes, Ree will try to sell anything she can to make money. Moneyhungry.

• Like 3

Walmart is slashing prices for black Friday deals on her stuff. She has it up on her site. There is only one comment so far about this. This is so extreme it sounds like her PR firm wrote it:

jdholiday

19 November, 2022

I just spent my life savings on the pioneer woman!!! So many great deals at Walmart on her items!! I think I bought them all 😁

I love everything that I have purchased from the Rees aka…pioneer woman collection! The patterns make me happy…even when that snow is falling!!! Definitely would recommend buying it now! GET EVERYTHING…LIKE I DID 😂

If I ever want any of her stuff I will wait until it starts showing up at garage sales. How was everyone's Thanksgiving? I am growing tired of it. 

• LOL 1

Today's show was a bunch of Xmas treats that Ree was making in anticipation of all her kids coming home for the holidays.  There was nothing egregious - she made a meatball soup, breakfast burrito casserole, a snack bowl that was just a mix of pretzels, popcorn, Goldfish crackers, etc. topped in melted butter and baked.  In between recipes we were updated on the lives of each child - who's in what school, etc., both boys on football teams.  

One recipe was Brown Butter Brownies, which looked really good.  The thing that got my snark flowing was when Ree made  red/green/white frosting for the brownies and pulled out several shakers of sprinkles so that her kids could sit around and decorate them when they showed up.  I know GD well that those hulking Drummond boys are not going to be sitting and decorating any brownies... Ree is going to sit that tray in front of her girls and do that chuckle and cajole them with "who wants to have some fun!".   Ugh.

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, Dineen said:

I just spent my life savings on the pioneer woman!!! So many great deals at Walmart on her items!! I think I bought them all

What a load of manure.  I know it's hyperbole but, good lord, rein it in.  Somebody is going to end up homeless because ahe stocked up on cheap crap from China?  If so, she deserves it for being incapable of critical thought.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I know it's hyperbole

I suspect it is her PR team trying to drum up sales. I have noticed in the last year or so her stuff goes on sale at walmart for a pretty big discount occasionally. If sales were strong, they would not put so much on sale. At my walmart, they do not sell any of her food. Only bakeware. A few years ago they sold her frozen meals (I saw them myself, but did not buy) and other foods like the marinara sauce. That means sales were not great. On the walmart reviews there are complaints about her products breaking in transit. Her website has lost its charm-now just another commercial site. Ree made a mistake by getting rid of the giveaways and contests, especially the "12 days of boots."  Some good recipies but there are recipies you can google in 5 seconds. Cetacean, the woman "jdholiday" who wrote the over the top review " Get everything like I did" is either crazy or a paid shill to persuade weak minded woman to buy. Here is an article on yahoo.com which is another paid PR vehicle, but they allow comments. Lots of people find her annoying. One person said of the family "Looks like they all have the ugly nose gene." True. That nose comes from her dad. You would think with all that money Ree would get a nose job. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ree-drummond-celebrates-thanksgiving-her-215335727.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

This might come across as nit-picking and tacky, but here goes.  Does anyone follow her daughter, Alex, on IG?  She has a cute thing going on, but often posts things she buys and does affiliate links.  But all of her items are so expensive - the designer stuff.  And her and Mauricio live quite the life of luxury (and not saying they don't work for it)...she sure comes from a place of privilege that plays out on her own social media.  

• Useful 1

I don't follow any of the family but I'm going with the first things that came to mind:  that Alex was raised in a family of privilege and maybe is too sheltered or immature to realize that posting high dollar items on her IG may seem a little over the top and in poor taste in current times.  Or, she was denied things growing up due to the family wanting the kids to not take their wealth for granted and is now splashing out because she's an adult and Alex may feel more comfortable showing the public that she likes luxury.   Who really knows...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1