Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Home

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

To be fair, Jaquen only gave her a business card. She was the one who sought him out. Even after learning what the faceless men really are and what they do, he gave her another out and she refused to take it. So I don't think the question becomes if she becomes a faceless man but rather when she will truly become one.

And to what purpose?

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, izabella said:

And to what purpose?

Maybe to kill Sansa, Hot Pie or someone else she cares about when one day someone has a list of 3 people that includes them. Then for whatever deus ex, Nymeria shows up and No One snaps out of it, becomes Arya again and she comes to her senses only to just die in that moment of hesitation. She is comforted, though, by seeing her loved ones being okay and finally accepting and embracing that she's a Stark instead of fuck all y'all, I'm a do what I want.

Edited by Potanical Pardon
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 11:06 PM, Potanical Pardon said:

ETA: Just rewatched. The bigger kid is Ned and the smaller kid is Benjen. Would have made more sense the other way but I guess the show is simplifying it as if there were just those two brothers and Lyanna even though there were already scenes with Catelyn that Ned only married her because she was supposed to marry his older brother. Whatever.

We were told Ned was about to head off to the Eyrie to be fostered (and meet Robert for the first time), Brandon being older probably had already been sent somewhere to be fostered which is why he wasn't in the scene.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, The Mormegil said:

We were told Ned was about to head off to the Eyrie to be fostered (and meet Robert for the first time), Brandon being older probably had already been sent somewhere to be fostered which is why he wasn't in the scene.

Was Brandon sent to the Riverlands where he met Katlyn Tully?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Drogo said:

Here's what Jaqen told Arya about her list before he gave her a coin and changed his face:  "A girl has many names on her lips. Joffrey. Cersei. Tywin Lannister. Ilyn Payne. The Hound. Names to offer up to the Red God. She could offer them all. One by one."

It's all in the wording, then, but I still say it's what my husband, a very forthright Norwegian, would have called weasel-wording.   Anyway, it's moot now, but always confused me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Oscirus said:

To be fair, Jaquen only gave her a business card. She was the one who sought him out. Even after learning what the faceless men really are and what they do, he gave her another out and she refused to take it. So I don't think the question becomes if she becomes a faceless man but rather when she will truly become one.

My speculation is that the Faceless Men are closer to a true cult than they've appeared so far, and the leadership will turn out to be just as selfish and power-hungry as typical modern cults are. 

They're taking on Arya because they think she's useful even if she's unlikely to be a true convert.  She can be sent to Westeros with her identity of Arya reestablished, and she would be well positioned to be activated in a Manchurian Candidate scenario.  If there's collateral damage or she never survives the mission, they're OK with that, because she'll have earned whatever commission they've been paid.

It looks like they're accelerating her arc (thank goodness) and if the creators play things right (in my opinion), she's going to be used in ways that start to show how the Faceless aren't as pure as they say.

1 hour ago, Calamity Jane said:

It's all in the wording, then, but I still say it's what my husband, a very forthright Norwegian, would have called weasel-wording.   Anyway, it's moot now, but always confused me.

I love that phrase...weasel wording. So perfect I. So many contexts. 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:45 AM, Neurochick said:

I'm still laughing at this because I couldn't stand Joffrey and his life seemed to go on and on.  I hated Joffrey more because he was privileged and  spoiled rotten by his mother; Ramsey needs someone to beat the shit out of him, and then feed him to his dogs...well, maybe not, the poor dogs would probably become ill. 

What freaks me out is that the actor who plays Ramsey looks just like a younger Andy Serkis to me.

He looks like Marc Price from Family Ties to me.......

Regarding Jon's resurrection, I don't believe the show is going to make it easy.  This show makes nothing easy.  We'll probably find out next week that Jon has total amnesia, or can't go outside during daylight, or no longer can feel love for other people, or some other creepy thing.  I don't trust that we all get to rejoice in noble Jon Snow being raised from the dead as himself.

I swear to the many-faced god if Jon forgets who Sansa is and we miss our chance at a true Stark reunion. I seriously wouldn't put it past this show, which seems to revel in torturing the Starks. 

5 hours ago, izabella said:

Was Brandon sent to the Riverlands where he met Katlyn Tully?

We don't know where Brandon was fostered. All we've heard about his life is that Littlefinger challenged him to a duel for Cat's hand and that was not one of Baelish's better gambles.

• Love 3

My speculation is that the Faceless Men are closer to a true cult than they've appeared so far, and the leadership will turn out to be just as selfish and power-hungry as typical modern cults are. 

They're taking on Arya because they think she's useful even if she's unlikely to be a true convert.  She can be sent to Westeros with her identity of Arya reestablished, and she would be well positioned to be activated in a Manchurian Candidate scenario.  If there's collateral damage or she never survives the mission, they're OK with that, because she'll have earned whatever commission they've been paid.

It looks like they're accelerating her arc (thank goodness) and if the creators play things right (in my opinion), she's going to be used in ways that start to show how the Faceless aren't as pure as they say.

I don't know about them being a cult. Admittedly, the loss of one's identity is cult-like behavior but I don't see anything else that indicates a cult. Hell, if anything they seem to discourage membership in the club.  

If they were planning on using her to infiltrate some organization that they couldn't infiltrate, they wouldn't be encouraging her to lose her identity. Besides, I think they have more then enough disguises so that they can get to anyone they so desire, it's just a matter of being served up the name

If the look on Mellisandre's face when she looked into Arya's future was any indication, Arya is probably going to be doing some really bad shit in the future. That being said, I don't think this is an organization that pretends to be pure.

• Love 1
On 5/2/2016 at 3:33 PM, Bec said:

Anyway, it makes perfect sense for Ramsey to have the dogs kill Walda and the newborn. It probably leaves very little trace of them for Walder Frey or anyone to figure out what really happened. And it’s not like they have CSI in Westeros, so Roose got poisoned by some unknown enemy and Walda just mysteriously disappeared with her newborn. Even if anyone traces them to the dog kennel, Ramsey can say, oops, she must have wandered in there by mistake. Just a terrible accident.

OR, he can blame the pair who are on the run. I mean, why else would they light out like that, on foot?

(edited)
10 hours ago, Oscirus said:

I don't know about them being a cult. Admittedly, the loss of one's identity is cult-like behavior but I don't see anything else that indicates a cult. Hell, if anything they seem to discourage membership in the club.  

If they were planning on using her to infiltrate some organization that they couldn't infiltrate, they wouldn't be encouraging her to lose her identity. Besides, I think they have more then enough disguises so that they can get to anyone they so desire, it's just a matter of being served up the name

If the look on Mellisandre's face when she looked into Arya's future was any indication, Arya is probably going to be doing some really bad shit in the future. That being said, I don't think this is an organization that pretends to be pure.

I've been assuming they were the earthly justice enforcer order for the Lords of Light.  (Aren't there some religious orders where the nuns give up their names and all association with their former lives?)

But, ha, "love your neighbor" isn't a big part of the LoL platform--it makes sense their squad would have license to kill.

Kudos for the equal opportunity aspect, however.

ETA:  Everybody reels off "by the old gods and the new" like they're just paying lip service, but I thought it was disturbing when the LoL priestess (or whatever) zeroed in on Tyrion as he was en route to Mereen.  This bunch has a widespread power structure.

A Sparrow-LoL clash would be awesome.  [JUST my own musing.]

Edited by candall
(edited)

I have no speculations regarding Jon's resurrected state of mind, I'm content to wait and see.  I will say that Jon's resurrection was elegant, for lack of a better word, compared to Melisandre's previous magic work.  It lacked sinister intent and purpose.  Her ministrations to his body were gentle as was her tone of voice and words chosen.  I would like to think that Jon's spirit fled into Ghost and was called back to its rightful body by Melisandre's incantation. But we'll see.  All I really know is that I'm so very glad that Jon is back.  It was just too cruel to kill off all of the Stark men (with the exception of Bran and the other kid whose name I don't even remember) while other people who have committed serious atrocities still live.  (Yes, I'm looking at you, Ramsay.)  

I am waiting to see the High Sparrow get his comeuppance.  I can't believe that what he's done to Cersei (and King's Landing in general) is going to go unanswered.  I agree with those who think Arya's story line needs to change course quickly, but I do like seeing Jaqen H'ghar on my screen.  I thought the CGI dragon work was well done as was Tyrion's scene with the fire-breathing beasties.  Say what you want about the half-man, but he does have balls of steel. LOL  Now that Tommen has mended fences with Cersei, and asked for her help, I'm wondering if he's going to get Margaery out of jail and remain under her spell.  Somehow, I can't see Cersei going along with that, but maybe she's mellowed since her incarceration and humiliation. Okay, I just threw that out there for grins and giggles.  

I am glad that Sansa is no longer under Ramsay's thumb, but seriously, her story doesn't interest me at all.  She has never been a favorite of mine and I'm hard pressed to see what purpose she serves.  Ditto for Theon, especially after he set the events in motion that pretty much doomed the Starks.  I have no forgiveness for him and, hopefully, neither does the GoT universe.  I'm glad Balon got tossed into the ocean.  His stupidity and crankiness got on my last nerve.  It should be interesting to see what goes on between Yara and her crazy uncle, Euron.  Can't say that I missed the goings-on with the Sand Snakes or Daenerys' adventures with the Dothraki.  Some of these side stories are just dull beyond belief; although, I do like Daenerys and hope that her story finds solid footing soon.  The thing I am most interested in is what is going to happen at the wall with the wildlings, the men of the watch (especially the traitors--please stab Olly in the eye, fucking little fucker who fucks) and Jon Snow.  

Edited by taurusrose
Fix minor errors
  • Love 4
On 5/2/2016 at 10:00 AM, One More Time said:

I know what you mean. Years {and YEARS} go I saw Mark Harmon play Ted Bundy. He did it so well I was not able to watch ANYTHING he did for a good 10 years.

U.O.--I want Sam to come back and be the Maester.  With Gilly, of course.  And that baby who never grows.

And I infinitely PISSED Melisandre resurrected John.  I will never forgive her for Shireen.

{small voice} Anyone else think Sir Davos is kinda...hot?

In addition to Ser Davos, I found Tormund rather hot as well.

Liam Cunningham reminds me so much of Bernard Hill that I keep wanting to call him Theoden, or Capt Smith.

After Melisandre clipped some of Jon's hair and beard, did anyone else think she was going to snip some pubic hair for the fire as well?

The zombie mountain better watch out for rust. That guy whose head he smashed peed on him when he turned around.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Liam Cunningham reminds me so much of Bernard Hill that I keep wanting to call him Theoden, or Capt Smith.

After Melisandre clipped some of Jon's hair and beard, did anyone else think she was going to snip some pubic hair for the fire as well?

The zombie mountain better watch out for rust. That guy whose head he smashed peed on him when he turned around.

LOL NO!

On 5/2/2016 at 10:00 AM, One More Time said:

I know what you mean. Years {and YEARS} go I saw Mark Harmon play Ted Bundy. He did it so well I was not able to watch ANYTHING he did for a good 10 years.

Same here for Patrick Stewart -- the first role I ever saw him in was as a major baddie (Sejanus in "I, Claudius") and when he was cast as Captain Picard, I could not accept him as a good guy for a loooooooooong time.

On another topic, the first mention of the Umbers (the Umbers, Glovers, and Karstarks were called out as the main families in the North) for a long time in this episode made me wonder if we are going to see or find out anything about Rickon this season...Osha was taking him to the Umbers for sanctuary. I cannot think that it would be easy at all to conceal that Rickon was there from EVERYONE. I wonder if Ramsay is going to find out Rickon is alive and at the Umbers and go after him.

But holy moly, if the Bran actor has aged, the Rickon actor looks totally different now since the last time we saw him, what? 2 seasons ago? or was it 3? I wonder if they will recast ...

• Love 1
(edited)

Totally.  There is, indeed, a feast for the eyes, man-wise.  I've always thought Edd was cute, myself.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, annsterg said:

But holy moly, if the Bran actor has aged, the Rickon actor looks totally different now since the last time we saw him, what? 2 seasons ago? or was it 3? I wonder if they will recast ...

The part of Rickon will now be played by Kit Harrington...

On 2 May 2016 at 6:13 PM, AliShibaz said:

It was easy and it was also one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen on TV. My heart was racing. My blood was pounding. (Oh wait. Maybe it was the othe way around?) In any case, did they really need to string us along for two epis and then just leave us hanging at the end? Oh well, I guess if anyone ever wants to know what a cliff-hanger means, we can point them to that scene. Also, I can't be the first person to suggest this, but if there is any entry in a dictionary for "cliff-hanger", it should provide a link to that scene. More powerful than anything from Gone With the Wind. So well done. Other show runners need to take note. They can generate big ratings without needing to spend a whole lot of money on special effects or anything else. The story is so important. The story is just about everything. Isn't it?

But I'm feeling so unhappy. The episodes just fly by so quickly. They seem to be over before they really get going. And there are so many story lines that it's very difficult to get wound up into any of them before it's time to switch. I sure do wish these episodes would last for two hours. I know. I know. The realities are such that it's impossible to do that. But, there is just not enough show. The season is over before it hardly even gets started and every episode is over before it hardly gets started as well. I know that there is nothing to be done about this. But it is just so painful that we just don't get enough show.

If there was a special channel that just broadcast Game of Thrones 24 hours a day, wouldn't people just watch this show until they died from lack of sleep? I know it's impossible and can never happen. I'm just trying to express my trauma at getting so little show and desperately wanting more and more.

If you want more, may I suggest reading the books; they are richer and much more detailed and would satisfy your need for more story.

On 5/6/2016 at 3:47 PM, annsterg said:

I intend to read all the books after the series concludes, both to avoid any possible spoilers and to help me through the pain of withdrawal.

You do realize that the show is going to conclude long before the books are finshed, yes? That said, that is a good plan. Makes me wish that everything I loved had book source material I could turn to while waiting for new seasons. Has the show decided whether they're doing seven or eight seasons? Either way I think we can look forward to very little filler this season. All episodes will be as full as this one was. I know we all thought the Jon resurrection was coming, but it was still nice to see it so quickly. I can't wait for tomorrow to see how being mostly dead affects him. I know Sansa, Pod and Brianne have days of hard travel in front of them and they still aren't out of danger from Ramsey.

9 minutes ago, AuntieMame said:

You do realize that the show is going to conclude long before the books are finshed, yes? That said, that is a good plan. Makes me wish that everything I loved had book source material I could turn to while waiting for new seasons. Has the show decided whether they're doing seven or eight seasons? Either way I think we can look forward to very little filler this season. All episodes will be as full as this one was. I know we all thought the Jon resurrection was coming, but it was still nice to see it so quickly. I can't wait for tomorrow to see how being mostly dead affects him. I know Sansa, Pod and Brianne have days of hard travel in front of them and they still aren't out of danger from Ramsey.

Not set in stone,7 but may be split, they said they have enough material for 13-15 hours after this season..

(edited)

They should try to eek out more episodes. Or.  Make each episode 40 minutes in length which would make for MORE episodes; plenty more. There could easily be 15-16 episodes per season instead of 10. Rating are through the roof. Why NOT keep a juggernaut like GoT on for 15-16weeks and please the public who wait SO long for these series to come back on each year.

10 episodes absolutely flyyyy. Can you imagine how a season with 6 or 7 will feel like?

Or spread them out. Take a week off here and there during a season. The fact that we wait for our beloved shows for 42 weeks and then only get 10 is a shame. They should tinker around with different release roll-outs of episodes.

I understand how difficult it would be to edit/frame an episode that is accustomed to 50-55 minutes in length down to 40 or so. But it shouldn't be impossible.

Edited by filmfan2480
5 minutes ago, filmfan2480 said:

They should try to eek out more episodes. Or.  Make each episode 40 minutes in length which would make for MORE episodes; plenty more. There could easily be 15-16 episodes per season instead of 10. Rating are through the roof. Why NOT keep a juggernaut like GoT on for 15-16weeks and please the public who wait SO long for these series to come back on each year.

10 episodes absolutely flyyyy. Can you imagine how a season with 6 or 7 will feel like?

Or spread them out. Take a week off here and there during a season. The fact that we wait for our beloved shows for 42 weeks and then only get 10 is a shame. They should tinker around with different release roll-outs of episodes.

I understand how difficult it would be to edit/frame an episode that is accustomed to 50-55 minutes in length down to 40 or so. But it shouldn't be impossible.

Because it already takes most of the year to make 10 episodes, adding more will push the season out further, making the public wait longer than they do now. Never mind the added cost of 5-6 more episodes.

Back from taking my ladies out for the day.

This last part is going to be real heavy into CGI adding to the cost and time, also unlike commercial TV which are companies supported, this has to come from subscriptions plus you are tying up many people actors to craft people who may have other projects in fires, not counting writers and producers so how long is too long?

B & W were always saying 7 years so if they stretch it to 8 or make extra episodes for a split 7 that seems what they can actually do.

Me, I'll be happy, I can watch all the seasons when I wish and I'll move on to Outlander and Penny Dreadful and hope something else will come along hopefully in the historical fiction form.

As long as the road leads where Martins does; for me BRING ON THE SPOILERS, I'll still finish the books (well as long as I'm alive). LOL