Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

I'm in the minority here who doesn't mind Larry's foul mouth. He's a comic relief for me. I can't stop laughing when he cursed non stop while trying to light a fire then hit his head. Epic! Lol. 

I wonder what desmond (or his family and friends) think when he watch the show. Mike when he found bear scats in first episode - "i have new friends already." then there is Nicole - "hey bear, how's your beach?" (paraphrase) who live and catch fish across bear den and learning their behavior. 

I hope the 2 tap outs are David and larry. Hopefully no surprises (like when Tracy tap out) 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mythreecents said:

I haven't seen the promo yet, so I'm not sure how the wolf/wolves are being presented, but Vancouver Island wolves are pretty shy, elusive creatures. When we first moved here and were doing research into which creatures were most likely to rip us from our beds and eat us alive (outdoorsey folk we were not), we decided in order of abject terror: cougars, bears, sea otters, banana slugs, wolves. 

They show the wolf in the opening for the show, I assume that is actual footage. I worried when I saw that and wondered when we might see it. Hopefully it is Jose, as he can whisper to the wolf and turn him into a guard dog! 

For what it is worth, I find Larry upsetting now, but that is likely clouded by personal experience and working in the psychology field. We would not be thinking his behavior is showing good self-regulation and all that. Especially, if his behavior is co-morbid with any other mental health issues, it becomes more problematic and possibly indicative of the other issues. If it is his ONLY issue, then I suppose one would chalk it up to individual differences, an idiosyncratic behavior. I wouldn't want to work around him personally. I know that a person would get reprimanded and fired in some occupations if you said stuff like that when things go wrong. However, he works in the trades (as does my husband) and it seems to be more the norm!   ;) 

• Love 4

When we first moved here and were doing research into which creatures were most likely to rip us from our beds and eat us alive (outdoorsey folk we were not), we decided in order of abject terror: cougars, bears, sea otters, banana slugs, wolves. 

I, myself, might move the wolves up there with sea otters.  But that's only because I've read a lot of Jack London books. :)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/8/2016 at 6:21 PM, mythreecents said:

I haven't seen the promo yet, so I'm not sure how the wolf/wolves are being presented, but Vancouver Island wolves are pretty shy, elusive creatures. When we first moved here and were doing research into which creatures were most likely to rip us from our beds and eat us alive (outdoorsey folk we were not), we decided in order of abject terror: cougars, bears, sea otters, banana slugs, wolves.

Don't forget lots of people are hurt by deer every year. And President Jimmy Carter was attacked by a rabbit back in the late 70's. Sooooo, if you'really out in the eerie dark woods, watch out for Bambi and Thumper.?

Edited by SRTouch
Clarification
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't live where are there are bears but I'm terrified of them anyway.  Big scary BEARS!  I love Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" when he says if he saw more then one bear in his camp he would just lie right down and die of fear.  There are whole pages devoted to him reading up on bear attacks before he goes on the Appalachian Trail and oh boy that would be me.  He reads different advice about what to do (play dead, run away) for different bears and then reads about how doing the opposite worked in real life situations.  As he says if one runs at you, you might as well try to run away and do something with the last 15 seconds of your life.

The camera the wolf runs at is set up on the beach so I don't think he is running at one of the contestants.   I assume certain cameras are placed where production wants them when they first arrive and then the contestants just turn them off and on without moving them.   I don't know what interested the wolf but for some reason I don't think it's a person. 

Edited by raven
10 minutes ago, raven said:

The camera the wolf runs at is set up on the beach so I don't think he is running at one of the contestants.   I assume certain cameras are placed where production wants them when they first arrive and then the contestants just turn them off and on without moving them.   I don't know what interested the wolf but for some reason I don't think it's a person. 

Watch again -- the camera moves.

I am going to say it one last time: why producers, why, are the subtitles for the Deeper Cut so small and in white? Argggh. See, there was just good info on Jose and his boat building and I had to really strain to see it! The point is that these insights give us more info, we need to be able to read them. 

• Love 6
(edited)
25 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I am going to say it one last time: why producers, why, are the subtitles for the Deeper Cut so small and in white? Argggh. See, there was just good info on Jose and his boat building and I had to really strain to see it! The point is that these insights give us more info, we need to be able to read them. 

I totally agree!  I'm watching it too, but they make it very difficult to read, even on a big ass television.  Argh!  

Interesting that Jose wrote that he lost 3 days because of the piece of gunwale cracking.  

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 2

I have to admit, the cheerful Larry seemed a bit weird to me, so I was rather glad that he tried to burn the wet forest.  lol

Can't believe we're this far into the show and I *still* can't figure out who's leaving.  Heck, except for Jose the wonderful, they're all talking about it!  I hope it's not Mike.  

CRAP!   Barbara won out!

• Love 4

OK, I can't say I thought Mike would tap but it turned out he was bored out of his skull. Dude was building like mad and could have lasted but the call of Barbara was too strong. 

Larry did say he would get that mouse and if that means burning down the forest then so be it. Smoked mouse is yummy, right?

And Randy taps. Not a surprise. 

I like that folks are tapping because they are mentally drained or bored and not because of lack of survival skills. Big improvement over last year. 

But we still have David and Larry. 

And my God did Justin get a sucky camp location. Just, damn. That is just. Crappy location. I liked his hike on Day 22 for Veterans Suicide awareness. Nicely symbolic. 

I do like Jose's boat. I think he is spending far too much time on it but it is cool watching him work. 

• Love 6

Well, what an episode.  

Three weeks in and half of them are gone, and I doubt if any of us would have guessed that at this point we are left with Jose (not a surprise), Justin, Nicole, *David*, and *Larry*.  What?  What the heck?  

I think my final 3 are Jose, Nicole, and Justin.  Winner - Jose.  :)   

They are certainly dropping like flies.  Who knows?  Maybe they won't even make it as long as last year (with the exception of Jose).   

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Larry did say he would get that mouse and if that means burning down the forest then so be it.

Love it!   

Very good point about the *reason* for the tap-outs being so different from last year.  It's just rather depressing that a couple of interesting folks left tonight, and we're still stuck with the 'starving' people.

It's impressive to me that Randy lasted as long as he did without the ferro rod.  I really thought he'd be toast right after that happened.    

• Love 4

I had to say STFU to David when he whined incessantly about the 4 days that he has had minimal food. Yo dude, there are poor people in the US and world wide that exist on this little all the time. His whining came across as entitled and it really rubbed the wrong way. I get that they are hungry, but his focus on it and doing nothing to try and change it, sucks the life out of his segments, wish that he had tapped instead of Mike. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

Very good point about the *reason* for the tap-outs being so different from last year.  It's just rather depressing that a couple of interesting folks left tonight, and we're still stuck with the 'starving' people.

Eh, I like the 'starving' people.  They have some fight in them to win this.  What fun is it to watch a guy for whom this is not really a challenge and ends up making himself dice?

I think I figured out why some of them that have clearly conquered nature and have the best survival skills sometimes tap out so soon.  I think they're the types that thrive on a challenge and their excellent skills have made their time there too easy to feel like they've overcome anything to get there.  So they have nothing but time to dwell on missing their families.  I really don't like it when people like this tap out early.  I feel like it was a waste and their spot could have gone to someone who really wanted and needed to win.

I thought Justin might bag it over his difficulties with his waterlogged tent and sleeping bag, but I see a bit of fight in him.  I don't think he really wants to feel like the elements did him in, so he's got a battle to win.

Gimme a break with the sweat lodge and some of that kooky "mother earth" stuff.  No offense, these guys seem nice but some of them are just a little out there for my taste.  I miss Alan from last season.  All I could think of when Mike went home is "fruitcake".

• Love 9
(edited)

When they showed Larry and his tree trunk fire setup my first thought was, is he trying to set that tree on fire/create a forest fire? But then I immediately dismissed it and assumed he knew what he was doing, thinking maybe it being a wet forest made it ok. Next scene the tree is on fire. doh!

I have no problem with David complaining about being hungry, he is starving. And I don't think he needs to censor himself because of starving children in Africa or the US. I don't actually like David for other reasons though so he can tap. 

I think my final 3 are Jose, Nicole, and Justin.  Winner - Jose.  :)   

I'm personally rooting for Nicole at this point, was actually happy half way through this ep because we hadn't seen her so I knew she was safe. I no longer can make any predictions...ok I lie, my last prediction is that Jose is not going to win! I'm the first one to say that I think. I just feel something will happen to him to make him tap, he won't want to. I just can't see us getting so little from the eventual winner.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 3

Well, let's try this again - my first attempt disappeared. 

Tonight's tap outs were no surprise. Neither quit because of the survival part of the game, it was the mental aspect that did them in. Mike had a great camp and all sorts of innovative creations - but as several predicted, he quit to get home to Barbara. Randy started out making all kinds of bone headed mistakes - no rations, lost his fire started, brought bow and arrows and trap snare wire, couldn't fish etc. But his survival skills had him making a friction fire (which he kept going once started) he learned to fish, and he started out with a great tarp shelter which turned into a pretty amazing log lean-to.  But, in the end, the "alone" part of ALONE did him in.

Ah, the "starving people". I keep waiting for them to give up, and they keep plugging along. I get the feeling Larry hates his job and home life so much, that he may stick around forever if his new place can just feed him. At least he was moaning about how bored he was this week - course he did try to start a forest fire. David continues to moan about ... everything. It's kind of too bad, too. In the glimpse inside his shelter that we got as he moaned about putting on his socks it looked like he might have made a sleeping platform. We know he made a gill net. Who knows, he may be hiding some skills behind his passing and moaning. Previews show the surf causing havoc with his nets, maybe not catching fish and loosing his nets will cause him to tap next week. 

Not sure about Justin tonight. Looks like his hammock/fish net has stopped catching fish and his camp is flooded. I'm worried that he may climb his mountain as a kind of swan song, and come down and say he's ready to go home. Hope that instead he comes back rejuvenated and raring to build a new shelter and get on with it because he provided some fun moments. I'm just guessing, but maybe the unusually high tide that is keeping David from getting to his fishing spot raised the water table enough to flood out Justin.

That leaves my two favorites - Nicole and Jose. Nicole really lucked out with her salmon stream. Course that stream also means bears, which sent quite a few people home in the past. Once again, the producers are showing a bear coming towards Nicole in the previews to build suspense. My prediction is that, once again, Nicole is going to treat it as no big deal and talk about how neat it is to watch the bear. Jose, OTOH, is having to build a canoe to get to a similar stream. No telling what he would be doing if he had lucked out and drawn Nicole's site. The producers are trying to build suspense with him as well, as I think that's him getting dunked.

I'm looking forward to seeing next week's "Deeper Cut" to see what Mike and Randy say about tapping tonight. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm pissed that Mike tapped out. He had the Ritz-Carlton of campsites! Justin has the Hotel Hell of campsites, yet is persevering. A half million dollars isn't worth sticking it out? Mike and Randy are wimps now in my book. Hope Barbara says "You quitter!" ;-)

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7

The last few minutes of the show I was just yelling "Just go ahead and fucking tap out, Randy!" More than once.

Once again, the head game proves to be the key. All these people who are experienced outdoorsmen but can't hack a couple of weeks with no one to talk to.  How many people in this ep said "I don't know why I'm here"? And I'm yelling "I don't know, either! Maybe the half a million dollars?" Yes, I yelled at the TV a lot this evening.

Really sad to see Mike go, he had such a wonderful camp setup. Maybe they can sneak Justin over there! Speaking of Justin, what does "Justin's camp is on a swamp" really mean? Does it mean that where he pitched his tent is on a swamp or the whole section of land he got is a swamp? Because if it's the latter, that doesn't seem fair.

• Love 7

Mike did not leave because he was bored, he said he felt guilty having a good time in such a beautiful place,he felt guilty, I wonder if it is the years of abuse that made him feel like he didn't deserve this. He seemed to have lucked into a lot of things and really seemed to be enjoying his games, sure he missed his wife, but still, he had plenty to keep him busy and he didn't look hungry.

I guess it is up to the crew to take down the camps. Don't they have to leave it like it was before? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Once again, the head game proves to be the key. All these people who are experienced outdoorsmen but can't hack a couple of weeks with no one to talk to.  How many people in this ep said "I don't know why I'm here"? And I'm yelling "I don't know, either! Maybe the half a million dollars?" Yes, I yelled at the TV a lot this evening.

I'm the exact same except I don't say it out loud. It's all in my head, me answering these fools every time one of them questions why they are there. "What reason do I have to stay, I've conquered nature." A half million dollars. "I'm so lonely, why shouldn't I just tap and see my family?" A half million dollars you jackass! Your family will be there to help you spend it. "Why am I putting myself through this? I almost didn't even come, my daddy had to convince me" ...do these people not know about the prize money? History shouldn't allow anyone on this show that isn't in it for the money otherwise why offer it. These stupid ass spiritual, convening with nature, trying to conquer my personal demons fools get on my nerves when I know there are survivalist people out there that would die before tapping out for A HALF MILLION DOLLARS.

I know Allen mentioned the money when he won but I can't recall if anyone said out loud it was a motivator the first season? I have to think these people are just embarrassed even that can't make them stay.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 10

Aw, Mike.  He and Jose were my favorites.  I wonder if Barbara was flattered that he quit because he can't make it without her or upset that he didn't stick out a good chance to win half a million dollars.

I also wonder if the producers knew Justin was going to set out on a foolish adventure.  He's mal-nourished and half dehydrated and he decides to go mountain climbing totally alone in unfamiliar terrain.  That seems like remarkably poor judgment to me. 

I was sick of listening to Randy be introspective and morose so I wasn't sorry to see him go.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, jvr said:

I'm the exact same except I don't say it out loud. It's all in my head, me answering these fools every time one of them questions why they are there. "What reason do I have to stay, I've conquered nature." A half million dollars. "I'm so lonely, why shouldn't I just tap and see my family?" A half million dollars you jackass! Your family will be there to help you spend it. "Why am I putting myself through this? I almost didn't even come, my daddy had to convince me" ...do these people not know about the prize money? History shouldn't allow anyone on this show that isn't in it for the money otherwise why offer it. These stupid ass spiritual, convening with nature, trying to conquer my personal demons fools get on my nerves when I know there are survivalist people out there that would die before tapping out for A HALF MILLION DOLLARS.

I know Allen mentioned the money when he won but I can't recall if anyone said out loud it was a motivator the first season? I have to think these people are just embarrassed even that can't make them stay.

You forgot a classic from earlier this season: "I'm so hungry. If I tapped out, I could go have a bucket of fried chicken and a beer." Me:OK that's $15, tops. What are you going to do to make up the other $499,985 you gave up on?

Also, I don't think the quotes thread is too active this season, so I'll put this in here:

Larry: "I know I have a temper."

• Love 2

I knew Larry was going to set the tree on fire.  Doesn't matter how wet wood is, it will eventually dry out and burn.  I also don't understand why they insist on boiling the water.  I drank straight from streams and lakes there for years and I'm still alive.  That sweat lodge that Larry built was cool.  You could do something similar with a platform base, then cover the outside with branches and ferns and have a snug little cocoon to sleep in.  And Mike's football game was also very interesting.  I was completely surprised that he tapped.  I hadn't heard him talking about his wife for a while, so I thought he was adjusting.  I was not as surprised with Randy though.  He just seemed sort of flaky to me.

• Love 6

When Larry was building that fire inside the tree, talking about how the hole in the top would draft the fire....I just knew he'd not packed the inside with mud or anything. Then it looked like the main log that was holding up his tent was glowing. What a doofus!

Why did they put my Justin on top of a swamp? Why? 

Randy gone, no big whoop. But Mike, after he'd gone to all the trouble to make that football game? Those two didn't strike me as survivalists based on what I'd seen, and so I guess it is par for the course.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm spoiler-free, so when they showed that shot of Mike sitting on the rock next to his satellite phone, I literally said "Holy shit" out loud.  I thought he was going to win, especially since the Debris Gods decided to send him a plastic container boat.

These stupid ass spiritual, convening with nature, trying to conquer my personal demons fools get on my nerves when I know there are survivalist people out there that would die before tapping out for A HALF MILLION DOLLARS.

I know that some of these contestants are genuinely spiritual, but I also think some of them are doing a "I have become one with nature / I have found a new direction in life / My journey in this challenge is complete" pose before tapping out, because that sounds a lot better than "I'm sick of this place and I would kill a person for a giant pizza with extra pepperoni, and that's why I'm leaving."

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 9

Why, oh why, is everyone so afraid to say, "I'm in it for the money"?

Larry   Tap out, man. Can't stand your foul mouth.

Justin   I'm worried about that mountain climb. Good way to get hurt. Yet, I admire your cause.

Mike     Barbara upon his return: "You gotta be kidding me!"

Randy    I think Mother Earth is disappointed. Really nutty. I love how long he stuck it out without his ferro rod, tho.

David    I thought he would be first to go. He's a surprise. Admire his net-building talent.

Jose      Probably will win if he's not the guy who goes in the drink in promos. Building the boat methodically keeps him busy.

Nicole    Not my favorite personality but she can be alone and happy. I want her to win.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mlp said:

Aw, Mike.  He and Jose were my favorites.  I wonder if Barbara was flattered that he quit because he can't make it without her or upset that he didn't stick out a good chance to win half a million dollars.

I'm not Barbara, but if my husband did that, I'd be like, "Grow up you freakin' wussie!".  Then again I know my husband would never do that.

I'm wondering how people got like this.  I suppose the communications age has made them unable to tolerate being away from loved ones for even 20 days?  Mr. Snarkle reminded me of when we were in college and he did a semester abroad.  Plus we were still newly and madly in love then, so being apart was particularly painful.  This was in the 1970s before cell phones, internet, calling cards, etc.  I may have gotten a couple of hand written letters from him and 2 very brief phone calls in about 3-4 months.   Somehow he managed to finish his semester without tapping out and we didn't even have a $500,000 prize as incentive.  Sorry but people are wussies anymore.  These guys aren't true adventurers and outdoorsmen.  They're momma's boys who play at camping out in their back yards but true survival is a game that tests wits and character and sorry but IMHO they just don't have much.  Alan is still my hero!

• Love 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, LeighAnne said:

I know that some of these contestants are genuinely spiritual, but I also think some of them are doing a "I have become one with nature / I have found a new direction in life / My journey in this challenge is complete" pose before tapping out, because that sounds a lot better than "I'm sick of this place and I would kill a person for a giant pizza with extra pepperoni, and that's why I'm leaving."

I think we've reached an understanding (here) that what the viewers want, and why some of the contestants are actually on the show are quite wildly divergent.

I'm venting here, ignore me.   

Speaking only for myself, I want to see competent survivalists vying for the prize.  500K!  I don't know.  Maybe I was naive.  :)  I want to see the stuff they build, the way they survive, a tent consisting of a bit more than throwing a tarp over a pole when they *know* that won't do for long in an extremely wet and uncomfortable environment  (ie Lucas, Mitch, Randy, Mike ,Nicole, Jose...that kind of person).

~~~~~~~ 

I'm not even going to address the Alan thing.  He always annoyed me even when he was honestly hilarious, which was unfortunately ruined with the little ditty when he was back home and strode past his happy dog (chained to a little house far off in the backyard) to show us his little mushroom farm.  Fuck you, Alan.  Pet your goddamn dog, asshole.  You lasted two months, seaweed boy.  Yay you.

~~~~~~~ 

Most of the contestants, however, seem to devolve into a bunch of drama queens who are 'just there to deal with their deep personal issues'.  Oh PLEASE!  Yeah, people, most of us don't watch this show to see a bunch of narcissistic fame-whores go on and on and on about their crap and expect the country to fall in love with them or something.  Then, they just tap out.  

"I was adopted"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I was a cop" (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I'm from the South"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I don't like being alone"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

Oh, bullshit.  It seems that most of the contestants think that 'we' want their stories.  Oh-hell-to-the-no!!!  I would rather see their skills.  

Okay, rant over.  

It's still my favorite program at the moment.  :)  

Go, Jose (or Nicole, or Justin)!!

You know what I'd really like to see?  Some sort of uber Alone with .....maybe....Matt and even Cody (from Dual Survival), Marty (from Mountain Men), maybe Mitch, Lucas, Mike, and Jose.  Up the prize money to a couple of million or something.  lol

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 5
(edited)

.......and I still can't stand David because something about him is just creepy.  My problem, for sure.  

A haiku:

"I put on a sock

Woe, where is the other one?

Perhaps I ate it."

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

He always annoyed me even when he was honestly hilarious, which was unfortunately ruined with the little ditty when he was back home and strode past his happy dog (chained to a little house far off in the backyard) to show us his little mushroom farm.  Fuck you, Alan.  Pet your goddamn dog, asshole.  You lasted two months, seaweed boy.  Yay you.

Thank you!!  I didn't watch S1 in real time so it all went by in kind of a rush.  But I remember this and was so pissed when he walked right by the chained up dog who just wanted to be petted.  I'm still pissed and it's all I remember from Alan going home.    Poor dog was so happy to see people.  I try to tell myself they just did it for a few minutes that day because he was too rambunctious for the cameras.

I thought David said in an episode he was here for the money?  And people didn't like that?  I guess I'm confused, shouldn't they be there for the money? 

I don't mind seeing people struggle as long as they have the basics.  Some of the personal stories (like Tracy and Mike) border on the uncomfortable.  

29 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I suppose the communications age has made them unable to tolerate being away from loved ones for even 20 days? 

Except on VI they are not around anyone at all, except for med visits.  Though they talk about their loved ones, I really think it's the lack of any human contact that gets them, the lack of being able to reach out whenever you want to and not knowing when you'll be able to do that again. 

I knew Larry was in trouble with that tree! 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

.......and I still can't stand David because something about him is just creepy.  My problem, for sure.  

A limerick:

"I put on a sock

Woe, where is the other one?

Perhaps I ate it."

^^^ That's a haiku.  :-)

A limerick:

There once was a hermit named Dave

who kept a dead whore in his cave.

He said "I'll admit I'm a bit of a shit,

but think of the money I save!"

• Love 8

I called Larry burning his tree down immediately. What a dingus. I have to assume he ain't thinking straight. It was STRANGE to see him so happy at the beginning of the episode, too.

David...blah. 

Where the hell was Nicole? We only had 7 people left, you couldn't show a minute of Nicole?

Jose is really taking his sweet time to make a pristine canoe. Jesus. Part of me just wanted him to slap together something serviceable, it's not like he's going to need this canoe for years. The guy is almost TOO competent. 

Justin got screwed with his swamp. He just needs to pick up and totally move. Good luck to him on his mountain climb!

Mike was pretty much doomed because he is incapable of being bored. He always needed to be doing something to distract himself from missing Barbara. I hope they had a lovely reunion. Randy I think got what he wanted out of being there - he reminded me of Lucas. Lucas even had talked about building a sweat lodge.

They'd better show ALL FIVE of the remaining people next week. This "missing person" pattern is ridiculous.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'm not Barbara, but if my husband did that, I'd be like, "Grow up you freakin' wussie!".  Then again I know my husband would never do that.

I'm wondering how people got like this.  I suppose the communications age has made them unable to tolerate being away from loved ones for even 20 days?  Mr. Snarkle reminded me of when we were in college and he did a semester abroad.  Plus we were still newly and madly in love then, so being apart was particularly painful.  This was in the 1970s before cell phones, internet, calling cards, etc.  I may have gotten a couple of hand written letters from him and 2 very brief phone calls in about 3-4 months.   Somehow he managed to finish his semester without tapping out and we didn't even have a $500,000 prize as incentive.  Sorry but people are wussies anymore.  These guys aren't true adventurers and outdoorsmen.  They're momma's boys who play at camping out in their back yards but true survival is a game that tests wits and character and sorry but IMHO they just don't have much.  Alan is still my hero!

As usual, I agree with Snarklepuss.  I am not a money hungry person, but if I had a husband with a particularly amazing skill set and fate intervened to where a show was set up that rewards that skill set with a great deal of money, I would be pissed he tapped out early just because he "misses me".  I was also wondering if at home, Barbara does all of the work, while he is too busy out in nature to really do anything (probably because I was just annoyed at him tapping out for wussie reasons).

Don't get me wrong...it would be one thing if he was starving and miserable.  I would never want anyone to suffer because of money.  However, this guy was happy and doing great at the survival part.  He was not even bored!  He just felt guilty because he was having too good of a time without Barbara...the hell.

I really hope Barbara does not file for divorce (joking).

55 minutes ago, MostlyContent said:

I think we've reached an understanding (here) that what the viewers want, and why some of the contestants are actually on the show are quite wildly divergent.

I'm venting here, ignore me.   

Speaking only for myself, I want to see competent survivalists vying for the prize.  500K!  I don't know.  Maybe I was naive.  :)  I want to see the stuff they build, the way they survive, a tent consisting of a bit more than throwing a tarp over a pole when they *know* that won't do for long in an extremely wet and uncomfortable environment  (ie Lucas, Mitch, Randy, Mike ,Nicole, Jose...that kind of person).

~~~~~~~ 

I'm not even going to address the Alan thing.  He always annoyed me even when he was honestly hilarious, which was unfortunately ruined with the little ditty when he was back home and strode past his happy dog (chained to a little house far off in the backyard) to show us his little mushroom farm.  Fuck you, Alan.  Pet your goddamn dog, asshole.  You lasted two months, seaweed boy.  Yay you.

~~~~~~~ 

Most of the contestants, however, seem to devolve into a bunch of drama queens who are 'just there to deal with their deep personal issues'.  Oh PLEASE!  Yeah, people, most of us don't watch this show to see a bunch of narcissistic fame-whores go on and on and on about their crap and expect the country to fall in love with them or something.  Then, they just tap out.  

"I was adopted"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I was a cop" (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I'm from the South"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

"I don't like being alone"  (and it hurts, so I'll deal with it by being on Alone)

Oh, bullshit.  It seems that most of the contestants think that 'we' want their stories.  Oh-hell-to-the-no!!!  I would rather see their skills.  

Okay, rant over.  

It's still my favorite program at the moment.  :)  

Go, Jose (or Nicole, or Justin)!!

You know what I'd really like to see?  Some sort of uber Alone with .....maybe....Matt and even Cody (from Dual Survival), Marty (from Mountain Men), maybe Mitch, Lucas, Mike, and Jose.  Up the prize money to a couple of million or something.  lol

Growing up in the south...it just tickles me that it is just so traumatic, that only a jaunt on VI with bears can cure it...pretty funny post.

You read my mind about Matt and Cody.  These guys live this way on purpose in their real lives...for free.  Heck, we probably could never get Matt to leave.

In "Life Below Zero" there is a guy who lives like this in far harsher conditions.  He is alone for six months and he shuns all modern technology, so everything is handmade and from the earth.  That guy would probably look at this as being a tropical vacation.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, mlp said:

I think Barbara is annoyed that Mike is so clingy.  (i would be!)  That relationship seems more like mother/son than husband /wife.  Mike just seems like a big kid to me, especially since his "poor me" orphan days are his headliner still.    I admire his ingenuity for sure, but my speculation is Barbara is the breadwinner and Mike diddely-bops thru life. His description of Barbara as "the kindest, most compassionate"  hints "she let's me continue to use my past as an excuse"   .   500 grand?  No.  As long as he has clean clothes and food in the fridge he's good.  Just my perception..    

I find it a bit odd that Randy never once talked about how he was keeping his fire going or any time he had to do friction again., especially since loss of the ferro rod was going to create a huge hardship and tap-out risk.    I want to hear out of Randy's mouth  that he indeed kept that fire going or continued with friction.   This was a major plot line and then--never to be talked about again??  Yeah, maybe the editing  but,  I'm suspicious. It was a big enough hardship that it warranted a follow-up.

• Love 5

Sorry to see Mike go as he was a favorite. He was not just surviving, but thriving, in that environment and probably could have lasted a year, if only he was partnered with Barbara. It was always interesting too see what new thing he had MacGuyvered with each episode. Not a surprise to see him tap before the end though, as I think most here predicted the loneliness and homesickness would eventually do him in. He is this season's Lucas. Both had no problem surviving, but tapped once they ran out of projects to keep their minds occupied.

Justin's mountain climb seems risky both in terms of the potential for injury and time lost that could be used finding a new and dryer camp, but using it to try and draw attention to the 22 veteran suicides a day is really cool. I hope it works out for him both in lifting his own morale and having some impact beyond the show.

I would not be disappointed with Justin, Nicole, or Jose winning at this point. I'm also rooting for Larry, as I find his grumpy cat routine more amusing than disturbing. It was sort of weird to see him relatively happy this week though. What have you done with the real Larry, show?

• Love 6

qtpye  "he just felt guilty because he was having too good of a time without Barbara"  You're on to something here.

Mike's convinced Barbara that he "needs" her to survive.  (that's why she let's him sleep at the foot of the bed)  If she sees he's happy and independent and doing fine without her,  things are gonna change.  He's not guilty.  he's nervous he may have burned his easy ride. 

• Love 5

I have serious doubts about Mike's ability to cope if anything ever happened to Barbara. 

Pretty sure Larry McLanguageWarning didn't swear at all this episode. 

Justin did *shrug* I could have done without the spitting tho.

Pretty sure José will be able to navigate to foreign shores when his boat is complete. 

I miss Nicole. 

As far as spoilers go...  I don't getadvertisements or previews and am geographically unable to watch online so personally I'd prefer info from there to be spoiler blocked.

• Love 2

I have been unfortunate enough to have a couple of Mike's in my life. I feel sorry for Babs. Clingy, emotionally needy men will so suck all the joy out of your life.  Dude!  Grow a pair! I hope she dumps him like a bad turd.

• Love 7

In "Life Below Zero" there is a guy who lives like this in far harsher conditions.  He is alone for six months and he shuns all modern technology, so everything is handmade and from the earth.  That guy would probably look at this as being a tropical vacation.

Glenn. He annoys the crap out of me. He is a self-righteous, pretentious, prat. He talks about living alone and the challenge and you look at the gear that he has and wonder how the hell he got the nice lumber and canvas out there to build his cabin. Where did he get the barrels to make his stoves? (one in the house and one in his sweat lodge) The guns and ammo that he uses? He clearly has people bringing him stuff or has stuff dropped off on a regular basis. And that is fine but don't pretend that you are this great survivalist when you are using all modern equipment and are only making the pretty simple stuff that is needed.

I am far more impressed with Eric, the trapper/hunter guide, Sue, the family that lives in Kavic, and the Older Couple that live by Eagle. They do far more manufacturing and fixing of their gear then Glenn does and they are not running around bragging about communing with nature.

I really don't like Glenn....

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, seasick said:

qtpye  "he just felt guilty because he was having too good of a time without Barbara"  You're on to something here.

Mike's convinced Barbara that he "needs" her to survive.  (that's why she let's him sleep at the foot of the bed)  If she sees he's happy and independent and doing fine without her,  things are gonna change.  He's not guilty.  he's nervous he may have burned his easy ride. 

I hadn't thought of it that way, but this makes sense. He talks about her constantly and left because he missed her? Uh..... no, I don't think so. 

• Love 2

For me there is absolutely no doubt who wins this. It is the only person never seen talking about tapping or missing anyone. It is also the person who is really working to live there and not just to see how tough he is. To me, Jose is on a whole different show and it is almost unfair to everyone else. If Jose does not win, I will be absolutely floored. I think (and would like) Nicole second. I would like to see a whole show of Jose doing his thing. If Larry keeps screwing up, he will accidentally kill himself. That was a major "oops". In the long shots of the chimney, you could already see the top of the tree was red and smoking. It is like he is a solo Camp Dinner Bell from the Walking Dead. ;)

• Love 6

Well, well, well. Who would have thought larry and David made it to top 5 instead of mike? What a surprise. 

I really thought randy was done when he lost his ferro rod but he proved me (and everyone) wrong. Then he started to build log cabin, catch some fish and he doesn't seem to have any problem with fire so i thought he can do this if he can win the mental aspect. So I'm kinda disappointed he tapped out. 

Mike oh mike. What a disappointment. I was rooting for him (and jose and Nicole) to be in top 3. Mike is this season's lucas. Built table sets, faucet, drying rack, cooking station, boat, bow and arrow, traps, dice and even made himself football and bowling game. Jeez mike. What a let down. Adding to everyone's comments here bout mike being 'clingy' to Barbara - I've said this before - i remember in episode 0 mike said something like (i don't remember the exact words) "I'm grateful she's (Barbara) happy being married to me." that rubs me the wrong way. 

• Love 4

I, too, am disappointed about Mike tapping.  I loved his ingenuity and creativity.  I was always looking forward to see what he made next.  I know he misses Barbara, but dude!  It's only been 3 weeks!  Poor Barbara must feel smothered at times.

No surprise with Randy really.  I'm just happy he lasted long enough to redeem the lost ferro rod disaster.  Good for him for lasting 3 weeks without it.  Hope he finds the peace he's looking for soon.

I'm good with either Jose, Nicole or Justin winning, though Justin is a long shot.  How sad he got the swampy site.  Hopefully his hike up the mountain will show him a better camping site, just like Larry finally moving his arse and exploring showed him a better site as well.  I do admire David's net making skills.  He's such a sad sack though.  I wonder if that's a result of the divorce, or if the divorce is a result of his being naturally sad-sacky?

I hope we get to see the finished canoe that Jose is building.  He might STILL be building it after everyone else taps out, at this rate.  The man has mad skills for sure.  He'd be my choice for a partner during any kind of apocalypse.  And I love Nicole's attitude towards this whole adventure.  She seems like someone I'd love to have as a friend.  Her family must be so proud of her.

• Love 8
(edited)
20 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Co-sign! Those two Debbies Downer have got to go.

Bummer! We have to watch another week of david *sigh* I get this gloomy vibe whenever David is on my tv screen. David, please end everyone's and your misery by tapping out next week. 

At this point, my top 3 are jose, Nicole and Justin. But I'm worried about justin. He's not catching any fish and not getting enough calories and he went on a hike? Good intention but sounds like bad idea to me. Plus, his camp is flooded. He need to find new place to set up camp. By the time he's back from hiking, he's gonna be exhausted and hungry. Will he be able (or have the energy) to scout new place and build new camp? idk but i like him so i hope he prove me wrong. 

Strange to see larry happy this week. And no cursing?! Who knows maybe Larry make it to top 3 with jose and Nicole! Lol

Edited by Joan Z
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

We're occupied in college with classes, school activities, assignments, exams that helps to cope with being in a long distance relationship. plus we have friends to talk to. The guys on the show are alone, no one to talk to but the camera. 

• Love 4

I think Larry could actually win this, strange as it sounds.   As capable as Jose is, I can see him checking out saying he has everything he already wants in his lifestyle so he won't stay for the money. (not saying it's an excuse--just a reason.  It's obvious he is so capable that he doesn't have anything to prove)  Nothing would surprise me really.  (well, David especially would surprise me as winner, but ya never know)

I'm lightening up on David.  That gill net was fantastic.  I think his options for his future job prospects and career change weigh heavy on his mind (he said that)   and i think that's why he seems only half-there.  it's more his delivery and far-away look that appears sad-sacky because he'l living in his head. It seems he feels he should probably be doing something more responsible given his financial condition.

Nicole was recruited to apply, and it sounds like Randy was too.   I wonder who else was recruited.  I think it makes a difference.  Recruits weren't begging to do this.  They were given the oppty. and it is a cool chance of a lifetime, but they weren't necessarily bugging for the chance or the money.  Those with 'survival/bushcraft schools could easily be scouted.

• Love 4