Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

Someone with a better memory of last season can answer this, but here is my question: by day 21/22 how many people were left on the island last season?

In season 1, by Day 8, six of the contestants had tapped out.  I have a lot of sympathy for the season one contestants; I don't think most of them realized what they were getting into.  Since the season 2 contestants have a better idea of how hard this is, more of them are hanging on longer.

Last year was what 2 months?

Alan won on Day 56.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

We have seen none of that from Jose. Either he is incredibly boring, not recording it, or what he has set up is so freaking awesome that if we see it we know he is the winner. My money is on his not recording stuff more then anything else.

I was really starting to wonder if what we 'see' had to do with his camera skillzzz or what until I listened to his videos on the link SRTouch provided.  

Spoiler

He is all about 'the editing'.  He speaks of every one of the folks setting up camp, 'crafting' items, seeking out water and food, etc.  He says something like, "So you see one or two good camps, and you don't see any others, yet.  That doesn't mean they aren't there, it simply means production hasn't shown it."  (totally paraphrased)

He also makes a very good point about the need to drama to entice viewers.  He said that he *knew for certain* that Nicole would not run from bears (accompanied by dramatic music); that she lived amongst lions sometimes in a tent (not mountain lions aka cougars, but real lions) for up to a decade.  He also defended Larry's vocabulary and had some very good points.

I also laughed when he chastises the couch potatoes who think they know everything (UT OH...me)! 

He said something about Justin (the little brother he never had) doing the math and they show about .03% of what happened out there.  

I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of him and whoever else is left in the near future, as we did the final four last year (I hope). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LeighAnne said:

In season 1, by Day 8, six of the contestants had tapped out.  I have a lot of sympathy for the season one contestants; I don't think most of them realized what they were getting into.  Since the season 2 contestants have a better idea of how hard this is, more of them are hanging on longer.

Alan won on Day 56.

Maybe the weather plays a role too? So far this season the rain doesn't look as bad as last season. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Jose and Nicole are longtime friends? Seriously? Why on earth would producers put people who are friends into this show, when there are plenty of total strangers who want to try out? Damn.... I really didn't want for this show to go down that road.

So I would count Jose in among those who were recruited, like Nicole.  

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Someone with a better memory of last season can answer this, but here is my question: by day 21/22 how many people were left on the island last season? I think that we may have been more satisfied with the amount of air time, because there were more taps quickly, which freed up more air time to highlight everyone left a bit more. Any bets on how long the last person goes to? Last year was what 2 months? (and remember how they were just jumping vast numbers of days to get the season to "fit" the number of episodes?). I will say 4 months and I have no reason to say that other than I think that they will double last season. 

By day 8 , six had dropped .  The next episode is Ep6 which takes up from day 15 to day 21/22 and at that point 4 still remain.  At day 37 4 still remain 2 tap out before day 45

Edited by seasick
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, holly4755 said:

just a reminder David has said several times now , he is in it for the money. And he has no life to go back to. No job. no nothing, so he might just win it all, heaven help him. if he does not starve first. 

I think people are discounting him because he is creepy, depressed sounding and they hope he taps. Me included. I do recall him crying about always saying no to his kids and wanting to be able to provide them things. Without the money reward David would already be gone, which is the point I think a few of us were trying to illustrate concerning the other contestants who decided to go home the minute they felt like it. And lucky for David, History's medical staff check up on him each week so he can't literally starve himself to death to get the money, he will be forced to tap if he isn't actually surviving out there.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Jose and Nicole are longtime friends? Seriously? Why on earth would producers put people who are friends into this show, when there are plenty of total strangers who want to try out? Damn.... I really didn't want for this show to go down that road.

Would you have known if you hadn't read it? They're not making alliances; they know each other from what is a fairly small group of people across the globe. There's no benefit to knowing another contestant and no consequence to not knowing one. They don't interact, don't share information, don't vote each other off. There would be absolutely nothing for the show to gain from deciding that none of the contestants could already know each other.

Also, to be fair, we don't know how long they've known each other. It's possible the contestants have bonded over the experience and spent time together since.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 11
21 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Would you have known if you hadn't read it? They're not making alliances; they know each other from what is a fairly small group of people across the globe. There's no benefit to knowing another contestant and no consequence to not knowing one. They don't interact, don't share information, don't vote each other off. There would be absolutely nothing for the show to gain from deciding that none of the contestants could already know each other.

Also, to be fair, we don't know how long they've known each other. It's possible the contestants have bonded over the experience and spent time together since.

Totally agree, I don't see how it has any bearing on the game whatsoever. The primitive survival community is "small" and a lot of them know each other, I bet.

• Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Totally agree, I don't see how it has any bearing on the game whatsoever. The primitive survival community is "small" and a lot of them know each other, I bet.

Yeah, I agree with that. These people know each other or have heard of each other. It is certainly a niche area, especially for those that do it for a living. I find it interesting that Jose is mentioning the editing. I have been harping on this about his portrayal since day 1. I am surprised that they allow these guys to post about their experience so openly while the show is ongoing. Last year, Mitch and Alan talked a little, but certainly not enough for many of us. Mitch alluded to "legalities" regarding saying too much on one of his videos. While, this show is "popular", it certainly is not in the same stratosphere as Survivor (esp. during it's heyday) or Amazing Race, so maybe the producers are not so concerned with contestant spoilers and figure that this info won't reach the vast majority of viewers?  I do find Jose's insights interesting. Like the info about Nicole and the bears. Maybe she will win? That would be cool. 

ETA: Wow, Jose's discussions of the episodes and other contestants like Desmond (he respects him a lot) and at home commentary, really illustrates a lot about him as a person. He is much more vocal and talkative than we have seen on the show. Really enjoying the Facebook page. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 3

I know they aren't creating alliances out there, that wasn't my point. If they are friends, they will talk before they ever leave to go there. That is where strategy can come into play that the others who don't know each other wouldn't have. From Jose's page, it appears he and Nicole have known each other for years. I think it would give them an advantage, but that's just my opinion. If my friend and I were both picked, you bet we'd be discussing our game plan before we left, giving each other advice from our own personal knowledge, etc.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I know they aren't creating alliances out there, that wasn't my point. If they are friends, they will talk before they ever leave to go there. That is where strategy can come into play that the others who don't know each other wouldn't have. From Jose's page, it appears he and Nicole have known each other for years. I think it would give them an advantage, but that's just my opinion. If my friend and I were both picked, you bet we'd be discussing our game plan before we left, giving each other advice from our own personal knowledge, etc.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about it from that angle. 

Yeah, they might have shared some tips, but even if they're friends they probably would keep some things under their hat. After all, they want to win, right? ;) Also I think that would have been more useful before season 1 aired. Now they've all seen the first season and should be reasonably prepared for what to expect...Desmond notwithstanding, haha.

• Love 2

These people are active on the internet anyway. What's to stop people from chatting with their survivalist board and planning a strategy? Or watching last season over and over? Or visiting that part of VI for a test run? Or taking classes that focus on survival in the chosen area? There's not a lot of overlap between Nicole's and Jose's strategies and techniques from what I can see, because their backgrounds are so different.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rainsmom said:

These people are active on the internet anyway. What's to stop people from chatting with their survivalist board and planning a strategy? Or watching last season over and over? Or visiting that part of VI for a test run? Or taking classes that focus on survival in the chosen area? There's not a lot of overlap between Nicole's and Jose's strategies and techniques from what I can see, because their backgrounds are so different.

And Nicole is from the PNW so she had a big advantage there, especially knowing all the plants in advance. I think Jose is a freak of nature. You could drop that man in Antarctica with a Bic lighter and come back a year later to find that he has built a 5-bedroom mansion out of ice and has trained an army of penguins to do his bidding ;)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

ITA, but it's not just that that bothers me, it's that the show didn't reveal the fact that they know each other to the audience.  Now I feel like they're hiding something from us, and playing favorites.  If I applied to be on the show but didn't make it, I'd think I'd have to have connections to get on the show.  I liked the idea of the show better when they were picking random people, not Joe Schmoe's friend who got him on the show.

• Love 1
On 5/27/2016 at 4:09 AM, seasick said:

Episode 6 and they are only on "day 18" . I think if we had real longevity among them they would have 'fast forwarded' by now.  So I think the taps are going to start.  (Randy for sure I guess)   Just been trying to gauge the 13 episodes and how long the majority stay. 

Ugh, this new format is having quite a few glitches for me, pardon the above post. 

Onto the episode :

I knew two people were going home. The easy guesses were Larry and Randy, but given the flooding of his shelter, I thought maybe Justin too.I HOPED David, but I knew I wasn't going to get my way.  I was not expecting Mike. As soon as he sat on the log and started talking I knew it was going to him, but prior to that I would never have expected it. 

I get his reasoning, though. I totally do. Everyone has their own thing(s) they want to get out of being there. He got what he wanted, and I guess just hanging out after that would feel like a waste. I do feel cheated that we didn't get to see more of what he had going on. If felt like we hadn't seen him in awhile and his send off quickly threw together a snapshot of all the cool stuff he made. Football! Bowling! He had it going on, and I was sad to see him leave. 

I understood Randy's reasoning too. He LOVES living that way, but he wants to do it WITH someone. He probably didn't even realize just how dependent he is on human contact until it was completely taken away from him. I respect both of these taps. 

So Larry said "dang" and Justin was the one dropping F-bombs. The world must have pivoted on its axis. I'm glad Justin is still there. I think his climb is a really cool thing and I hope it re-centers him so he can keep going. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I get his reasoning, though. I totally do. Everyone has their own thing(s) they want to get out of being there. He got what he wanted, and I guess just hanging out after that would feel like a waste. I do feel cheated that we didn't get to see more of what he had going on. If felt like we hadn't seen him in awhile and his send off quickly threw together a snapshot of all the cool stuff he made. Football! Bowling! He had it going on, and I was sad to see him leave. 

YES! I noticed it now. I think that's another reason why I'm kinda surprised mike tapped out (other than he seems to be doing fine and thriving). I too feel like we didn't see much of mike unlike other contestants who have already tapped out. They showed a lot of Randy (and especially MK) prior to tap out so it wasn't that surprising when they did. I feel like they showed more of David and larry than mike. I'd rather watch mike making the traps, bow and arrow, heck even those dices than watching david staring at the ocean and talking about how starving and dehydrated he is. But then this show has proved that they are more interested in the drama so... 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

While I found it interesting, I don't think it means anything that some contestants knew each other before the season. Sure, they could have discussed different things to try after watching last season. IIRC all the contestants, and a lot of those who wanted to be on the show, were brought together for a week or two before being scattered around the island. They all got together to be trained on the camera gear and had to prove they weren't complete novices who knew diddle about surviving (course as we saw, the screening was no guarantee the contestants would spend a night in the woods). So, whether they knew each before or not, they probably discussed the previous season and talked about things that might help them survive. I'm sure that helped this season's contestants, but since they're not competing against last season I don't think it means anything. If every one of the guys left now last 57 days, nothing will happen to Alan's bank account. The big difference between last season and now, is that all of this season's contestants (except Desmond) are better prepared and have been able to ignore predators.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Joan Z said:

Maybe the weather plays a role too? So far this season the rain doesn't look as bad as last season. 

You're right, of course. As I understand it, last season they waited until November to start, while this season they started in October. And, the true storms and most of the rain starts in November. So far, there's only been the one storm, so this year they had more time to built shelters and prepare for the stormy weather. IIRC, at least 1 contestant quit after hearing the wind in the trees, and even Sam was affected by the wind blowing his tarp keeping him awake.The weather out in the Pacific is also playing a greater role this season. The rise in water temperature from the 2015-16 el Nino was the root cause of the red tide. At least two contestants, Tracy and David mentioned that they were counting on shell fish for food - and el Nino took that away. As time goes on biggest storms and higher tides are predicted because of El Nino. I'm not sure when the winter tide will come, but as I recall that will be the highest tide of the year - especially high if there's a storm surge behind it.

• Love 5

Rewatching this week's episode with my husband....

1. Larry's "I don't have to get up at 4am" dance was a crack up. I kept expecting him to note that he was waking up at 4am.

2. Does Larry seem HAPPIER now, even though he nearly burned down his shelter? I guess it's the new location. I actually really like him.

3. David made me want to try limpets. His ode to limpets cracked me up. And I'm still impressed by his net.

3. Does Jose's boat seem too small? There was a preview at some point in the season that showed one of the contestants swamping into the water. I think it was him. The boat just doesn't seem BIG enough.

• Love 2
(edited)

Can someone wise in the ways of woodcraft explain to me why no one bothers to build platforms?  I mean, they have small logs and saplings galore at most of these locations -- and also sloping ground and rising groundwater -- so I'm confused as to why they don't get themselves the heck off the ground at least a couple feet.

Loved last season, but this season I am mainly amused with how many mystical-sounding ways various contestants can express their boredom with Vancouver Island and their justification for tapping out.  "I did what I came here to do..."  "The land isn't teaching me anything..."  "What am I here for?"  At least David is honest: he's there for the money...

Jose is cool but I also share the confusion over why we don't get to see anything.  Larry's attitude is annoying, but he also makes me nostalgic for my dad and the rainy, fucked-up, profanity-laced camping trips of my youth.   I am rooting for Nicole to avoid the bears, because she strikes me as this year's Sam.  Now that Justin has actually faced some real misfortune, I am hoping he sticks around as well.

I liked the idea of the show better when they were picking random people, not Joe Schmoe's friend who got him on the show.

But they... aren't...really... picking random people, of course.  I'd be willing to bet that some of the people on Season 2 know some of the people who were on Season 1.  As someone else said uptopic, the diehard survivalist community is not that large.  At least, not the community of people who actually know what they're doing (unlike the woman who sliced her hand open, who just seemed in way over her head).

I do think that if this show is to thrive after this season, they're going to have to look into finding different locales, as logistically tough as that may be.  Turns out that Vancouver Island where no one can eat shellfish on the beach because of red tide is... well, a little more boring than Vancouver Island normally.

Also: the predators.  Chiefly the bears.  It is really no fun seeing contestants who wind up in bear-infested locations, because there really is nothing they can do; it is a huge handicap to deal with, a battle they will never win.  No amount of ingenuity will win out against a pack of animals who actually DO own the place.  While Desmond's speedy exit was ironic, I did feel for the guy, and I certainly felt for Tracy.  And it isn't great television either.  One chance encounter with a predator is exciting; but every week of "OMG, the bears are back and their poop is right outside my tent" honestly makes me want to change the channel out of stress.  It's a fine line for the show to walk, I suppose.

I'd honestly really like them to try a new location without all those effing bears.

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Jipijapa said:

Can someone wise in the ways of woodcraft explain to me why no one bothers to build platforms?  I mean, they have small logs and saplings galore at most of these locations -- and also sloping ground and rising groundwater -- so I'm confused as to why they don't get themselves the heck off the ground at least a couple feet.

The lack of platforms confounded me, both this season and last. I don't are how many branches you put down, you're still on the ground, and it's COLD.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Jipijapa said:

Good question, and something I've questioned myself. One of my big frustrations with the program is that they concentrate so much on the "alone" portion and not enough on showing how the contestants are actually living. We haven't really seen how the various shelters are set up, not just the construction but how things are laid out. We got a glimpse at the inside of David's shelter, and it looked to me like he might have a sleeping platform. You could see the end of a log that had been sawn off. Justin had a cook shelter that he moved to temporarily to dry his sleeping bag, and that was the first time I heard of it. There's so many things I wonder if they're doing that we just don't see because so much time is spent talking about missing the family, or Larry hating his job or his mouse. I guess if we want those things we should be watching Dual Survival or something of like that.

• Love 5

Patagonia? I think, that looked a bit desolate and had it's own predators.

A lot of the people have fire in their camp, so raising it on wood might burn it down like Larry and his tree. . 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I am fairly certain that they said that season three is slated for desert/tropical (read: warm climate). Cannot remember where exactly though. 

Quick google search says:

"Filming begins in Patagonia, South America next month"

http://deadline.com/2016/04/alone-survival-series-renewed-season-3-history-1201740907/

I'll have to look up this place.  Sure hope it has plenty of water!  I hate it when people on these shows can't find water.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

ITA, but it's not just that that bothers me, it's that the show didn't reveal the fact that they know each other to the audience.  Now I feel like they're hiding something from us, and playing favorites.  If I applied to be on the show but didn't make it, I'd think I'd have to have connections to get on the show.  I liked the idea of the show better when they were picking random people, not Joe Schmoe's friend who got him on the show.

Some of last season contestants were well known in the survival/ prepper world.  My sense is that, like Nicole, most were scouted by the producers and I think the same this season. A few may have been "pure applicants--likely Desmond for one, 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, seasick said:

Some of last season contestants were well known in the survival/ prepper world.  My sense is that, like Nicole, most were scouted by the producers and I think the same this season. A few may have been "pure applicants--likely Desmond for one, 

Yeah, I don't know, it still bugs me somehow.  It's like "Food Network Star" this season where most of the cast either comes from reality TV or other food competition shows and were invited to be on the show.  It doesn't make it easy for a real unknown to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone.  Last season seemed more authentic somehow.  When Sam lasted almost to the very end he was running on fumes at that point.  A young guy who was obviously not as skilled as some of the others but beat them to the finish line anyway.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Yeah, I don't know, it still bugs me somehow.  It's like "Food Network Star" this season where most of the cast either comes from reality TV or other food competition shows and were invited to be on the show.  It doesn't make it easy for a real unknown to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone.  Last season seemed more authentic somehow.  When Sam lasted almost to the very end he was running on fumes at that point.  A young guy who was obviously not as skilled as some of the others but beat them to the finish line anyway.

But still--any idea if he was just an applicant or was he recruited?   in a way i think this is different  anyway-- ,scouted or not, as they are not reality tv typicals and recycles.  But many have Youtube stuff.     As much as I'd like to see some novice types go,  I think it's actually kind of dangerous there so my guess is they seek out some proven skill and experience level so as to not be considered negligent.   

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, seasick said:

But still--any idea if he was just an applicant or was he recruited?   in a way i think this is different  anyway-- ,scouted or not, as they are not reality tv typicals and recycles.  But many have Youtube stuff.     As much as I'd like to see some novice types go,  I think it's actually kind of dangerous there so my guess is they seek out some proven skill and experience level so as to not be considered negligent.   

I don't know, but Sam said in an interview that he auditioned for the show.  He was only 22 when he did the show so I'm thinking his experience level was not that high.  What bothers me about the proven skill and experience is that this is obviously no challenge for people that are advanced experts.  It's like sending Julia Child into a kitchen and challenging her to make a tasty meal.  Of course she's going to ace it, that's what she DOES.  It's the same with some of the people on this show.  It's like they're playing house out there.  Ho-hum, another day at the office.  I want to see people who are really challenged in whatever environment they're in.  There are some of those still on this show this season but there are also more of them that are in that ace expert category like Jose.

• Love 1

I think you have to get used to people being scouted, Except for big brother that gets it's cast from a bar owned by a former contestant (mike "boogie"  and the amazing race , most recruits are because they have the skills needed or will give the show credibility. If you only take from the great unwashed you might have a dangerous condition out there even though they have a camp test. Big brother only has the requirement you be young and pretty. So, the voice and idol recruited (did you really think Carrie milked cows? She was performing since she was a child and had a record contract at 16)), America got talent recruits, cooking shows recruit, adventure shows recruit. 

I don't worry where these people came from, I just enjoy seeing their tricks of survival. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

I think you have to get used to people being scouted, Except for big brother that gets it's cast from a bar owned by a former contestant (mike "boogie"  and the amazing race , most recruits are because they have the skills needed or will give the show credibility. If you only take from the great unwashed you might have a dangerous condition out there even though they have a camp test. Big brother only has the requirement you be young and pretty. So, the voice and idol recruited (did you really think Carrie milked cows? She was performing since she was a child and had a record contract at 16)), America got talent recruits, cooking shows recruit, adventure shows recruit. 

I don't worry where these people came from, I just enjoy seeing their tricks of survival. 

I agree in this case, as i said above, that there is a true danger involved in this show so they may seek more experience.  i think with certain shows (food network star e.g)  it could just be easier to search blogs and youtube then spend many paid man-hours searching through audition tapes etc. and that could be much the case here as well.    

But then we hear Randy say he didn't really want to do it and his Dad had to talk him into it.  So there can be a different , less dedicated attitude among recruits than those who are jumping hoops to get on.  (I assume he was recruited after hearing that)  And that attitude that can be "well, since they asked I figure why not" colors the type of participant you get, their level of dedication to win, and the results.  I think it will be pretty sad if they all end up saying  "eh,  this is enough of what i wanted out of it, and taps.  Hell! they haven't even had the relentless freezing rain yet and they're shrugging and tapping.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SRTouch said:

One of my big frustrations with the program is that they concentrate so much on the "alone" portion and not enough on showing how the contestants are actually living.

I agree, BUT the alone part is the premise of the show. This show is less about "Will they survive?" -- that's why they recruit the best survivalists they can find -- and more about "Can they survive being alone?" They want to see how having no human (or animal) contact affects them. The show is about the psychological effects, not the physical struggle. That's what makes Mike's tap all the more compelling. He wasn't just surviving -- he was living comfortably. But he couldn't handle doing it alone.

As a viewer, I really would love to see their camps and what they're doing to survive. I find it a lot more interesting than the mental struggles. But this show is ABOUT the mental struggles of being alone.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

I agree, BUT the alone part is the premise of the show. This show is less about "Will they survive?" -- that's why they recruit the best survivalists they can find -- and more about "Can they survive being alone?" They want to see how having no human (or animal) contact affects them. The show is about the psychological effects, not the physical struggle. That's what makes Mike's tap all the more compelling. He wasn't just surviving -- he was living comfortably. But he couldn't handle doing it alone.

As a viewer, I really would love to see their camps and what they're doing to survive. I find it a lot more interesting than the mental struggles. But this show is ABOUT the mental struggles of being alone.

I don't disagree with the idea that the editing uses that focus.  But! living off the land and dealing with the elements and wildlife is also how the show is also presented.   Their gear is limited, --the whole packing list choices are featured, the little contest about who will last,  their skill tests etc., so there is a great deal of run-up and fascination about preparation for the survival aspects.  It surprises me that they seem so unaware of the audience's interest in these elements as well and don't provide a better balance.  If we hadn''t seen Mike''s camp we would have never known he was living the high-life out there to contrast his tap-out.  OTOH Justin's water-logged camp may be what pushes him over and not the loneliness.   It seems apparent that the audience the show does draw is frustrated at not seeing more of their camps and bush challenges.   

I do think the fact that they never did a follow up on on Randy's challenge to keep his fire going--it was a big deal and big concern--a cliff-hanger, really--- was just plain baaaad and thoughtless editing and inexcusable.  So honestly I don't put too much stock into their thought processes when they are putting together the show. JMHO

• Love 5

They showed Randy making fire with a bow and spindle. He either kept it going, Les has shown several ways to travel with active embers so I am sure that was one method, or he was able to restart it when he needed to.

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

They showed Randy making fire with a bow and spindle. He either kept it going, Les has shown several ways to travel with active embers so I am sure that was one method, or he was able to restart it when he needed to.

Yeah I saw it..  Yes apparently he did keep it going because we saw it burning. My complaint is about the editing , not just that we can surmise plot-line outcomes on our own.   Marykate cut her hand.  If we never saw her after that we could surmise she left.   It's about the editing and major plot lines/challenges that *they*  focused on (Randy's big concern about the fire)  and not following up to explain how he handled that challenge.  Sloppy and careless editing.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Ooh, Patagonia should be interesting.  It's at the extreme southern end of Chile, so I think it's sort of gonna be like Vancouver Island with less trees and more llamas.

It probably is difficult to find a logistically feasible place for this.  You need a politically stable country; one where you can get permission from the government or locals to film, that's genuinely remote enough for no one to stumble upon you.  The film crew needs instant access so they can retrieve the tapped and injured.   It can't be too environmentally sensitive a place, so that contestants can live there for an extended period of time, hunting and fishing and chopping stuff down for shelter.  I hadn't thought of places outside the U.S. and Canada, but Patagonia seems like it would work, as it is sparsely settled (and quite beautiful).

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 3

Sure that's tough, but it's only temporary. 

Yes but they don't know how temporary.  They talk about being in it for the long haul, but they don't really know.  I don't think it's wussy to tap out because you underestimated your ability to be on your own for an indeterminate period of time; sometimes you don't know until you do it.  Sure people live completely alone, have done it and will continue to do so, but I doubt they are camera ready.  For this show, they need a balance of surviving and entertainment.  They don't want hairy mountain men or women grunting at the camera.  I definitely the think the mental aspect is the toughest and so far the must underrated challenge on the part of the contestants.

1 hour ago, seasick said:

Sloppy and careless editing.  

I don't think so - could be that Randy didn't film any more fire struggles once he got it going, or because they knew he was tapping out, the editors focused more on footage of him building his shelter, the sweat lodge, his mental struggle etc as being more integral to his journey.   The drama now was Randy mulling over what to do; he remarked quite a few times that he loved living like this but it seemed pointless without someone to share it with.  He was definitely kind of depressed. Cheer up Randy!   I liked the sweat lodge if only cuz we got to see Randy when he climbed out, dude has a great body (yes, shallow!)

I do wonder if we haven't seen much of Jose because all he's doing now is building his boat??  I assume there's more coming, except for his worries about the salmon run he seems pretty content.

Larry looked so skinny in the first shot we saw of him, when he did his "I don't have to get up" dance.  I thought that was kind of funny, been there myself.  Though he's not catching anything, he's sure more content where he is, except for feeling stupid for starting that fire, heh.

I don't find David creepy or depressing.  I liked his limpet discussion :)  He's still working on his net and except for being hungry seemed kind of upbeat.  I don't mind him bitching about the cameras, I would probably do that too.  I hope his net works for him. 

Ack Justin that sucked!!  Getting flooded, ugh what a mess. Looking forward to his hike and hope he gets far and doesn't get hurt.

I'll miss Mike's positive attitude. Loved, loved the dice and football game, so creative!  I'm not too surprised that Barbara won out and I bet she isn't either.  His tapping was similar to Randy; he loves living like this but doesn't want to go it alone.  He says he felt self indulgent I think?  Maybe because he was feeling happy?  I hope he gives himself space to be happy in life and realizes it's OK to enjoy things on your own

Missed Nicole this week.  Now that the we've lost two, I hope we get everyone in each episode.

• Love 2

Justin needs to forget his hike and move his camp! I understand him wanting to make this symbolic gesture, but having a livable shelter is more important. That will get you closer to a half million bucks of which you can donate a part to vet suicide prevention.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't find David creepy or depressing. 

Me neither. He's just different. I think the show has done an excellent job this season of casting a variety of interesting personalities. You need your Davids to contrast with your Nicoles and your Larrys to contrast with your Joses.

Justin needs to forget his hike and move his camp! I understand him wanting to make this symbolic gesture, but having a livable shelter is more important. That will get you closer to a half million bucks of which you can donate a part to vet suicide prevention.

I suspect that, while the sentiment is 100% sincere, he has already resolved to tap and that this hike is the high he plans to go out on.

Edited by derriere
  • Love 6

Just watched the " tap out" episode w Mike and Randy tapping out and have some questions/ comments 

• Why aren't more contestants building/making and implementing more gill nets and trot lines? The whole game ( besides the loneliness ) is food. I'd have a gill net that I brought w me ( multiple if possible), and then I would definitely learn how to make them prior to the show and just set them everywhere. You could probably catch 6-10 fish a day or more w 2-3 nets and a couple of lines in the water. 
  • Why are they smoking the extra fish. It's easy to do and is an excellent way of preserving any extra?
  • Why would you enter this contest without knowing how to properly set a net and or fish? 
  • What's the deal with not making 4 sided real cabins. Randy's place was 3 sided, why not complete the deal? 
  • Imo Mike tap out because of the me two game. Something tells me he's worried about his relationship w Barbara. Something doesn't add up. 
  • The survival skills that are being shown are that impressive . Ok everyone can build a temp survival shelter, make a fire w a fire starter in a damp environment, and boil water. People from third world countries would destroy these contestants.  How would an expert stand against an Aborigine from Australia or Surmas from Ethiopa ect. These people live their entire lives in little huts and starting friction fires ect? Or even against someone who lives in a rural part of central Mexico or South America.
  • i want to see the following type of contestants in next years line up : a released convict that has spent 15-20 years in isolation w basic training in fire starting and survival shelters. Contestant 2- champion bass fisherman who also worked commercial fishing boats and has been hunting/camping/ fishing his entire life,  Contestant 3 - an Aborigine who has been taught about the climate, wild life, and vegetation of Vancouver island. Contestent 4 - an Inuit or Alaska Native. Contestant 5- a Sherpa   Contestant 6- a homeless person   Contestsnt 7 - A member of the Siberian Sakha tribe. 8 - a Buddhist monk from the Tibetan mountains who maintains only a vegetarian diet.  9- a lumberjack from Canada and 10. A ex navy seal w a back ground in bush craft. 
  • Why do they always b**ch. Oh the ground is wet, well ok move your campsite. Oh, there's a mouse. Well..kill it or move. Oh, there's water in my fire pit. There a bear. Well duh
  • Did some of them not watch Alone Season 1 and saw what those guys did. It probably would have been helpful so they would understand that "hunting" is pretty worthless. Fishing and gill nets are the way to go. There are going to be bears. Seaweed is your friend so learn to identify and love it. 
(edited)

On why randy's log cabin only 3 sided, he did mentioned that his cabin isn't complete yet. Unfortunately we never get to see what else he had in mind for his cabin since he tapped out before he get to complete it 

Edited by Joan Z
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, LocimusPrime said:

• Why do they always b**ch. Oh the ground is wet, well ok move your campsite. Oh, there's a mouse. Well..kill it or move. Oh, there's water in my fire pit. There a bear. Well duh
  • Did some of them not watch Alone Season 1 and saw what those guys did. It probably would have been helpful so they would understand that "hunting" is pretty worthless. Fishing and gill nets are the way to go. There are going to be bears. Seaweed is your friend so learn to identify and love it. 

I think they bitch, because like most of us, we complain when we are outside our comfort zone. Obviously, some of us are more of a complainer than others! ;)    Mike went into great detail about the bull kelp and seaweed. I don't know if each person has the same abundant resources as Mike's spot did. Even though it is the same island, I get the sense that different areas have different + and - and it all depends on one's skills as they apply their skills to what is there. 

• Love 4
On 6/11/2016 at 9:03 PM, Jipijapa said:

Loved last season, but this season I am mainly amused with how many mystical-sounding ways various contestants can express their boredom with Vancouver Island and their justification for tapping out.  "I did what I came here to do..."  "The land isn't teaching me anything..."  "What am I here for?"  At least David is honest: he's there for the money...

I think the other people are probably being honest too. Not everyone is going to do this for the money. Would they love winning it? Sure. But I think a lot of these guys are doing this challenge for other reasons. I totally buy it when they go home because they've done everything they came to do. 

22 hours ago, seasick said:

Yeah I saw it..  Yes apparently he did keep it going because we saw it burning. My complaint is about the editing , not just that we can surmise plot-line outcomes on our own.   Marykate cut her hand.  If we never saw her after that we could surmise she left.   It's about the editing and major plot lines/challenges that *they*  focused on (Randy's big concern about the fire)  and not following up to explain how he handled that challenge.  Sloppy and careless editing.

I see what you're saying. But the thing about this show is that the contestants are filming themselves. It's possible Randy didn't film much follow up to his fire issue, so there wasn't much to show. I do think the editing has felt "off" quite a bit this season, but I am willing to cut some slack because we just don't know what people are filming, what's usable, etc. 

• Love 4

Now that they're down to a more manageable 5-some, I hope that we get even coverage of everybody. Maybe before some people haven't had good "stories" to tell, but, by now we should be seeing whatever everyone is doing.

• Love 7

I totally wish they would have a few Season 1 people back for Patagonia.  

As for not wanting to see contestants all hairy and grunting inarticulately... maybe not, but I also thought Sam's thousand-yard stare toward the end was the most compelling moment of Season 1.

• Love 1

As much as I am enjoying this season (and I am enjoying it, despite all the bitching I may do), I can't wait to see what they're going to be up against in Patagonia. We can say about the current contestants "Why didn't they learn how to fish? Didn't they watch Season 1?" but maybe next season they'll be somewhere where hunting is more feasible. The only real common denominator will be that they're still alone.

• Love 3

My friend that I watch this show with told me that isolation from human contact is the worst thing in the world. He would know. He said there's no way you can mentally prepare yourself for it. If I were stuck somewhere with no other people, no pets, no TV or radio.... I might tap out early myself. I think Randy and Mike made themselves stay as long as they did by staying busy, and once that didn't bring them any relief, it was time to go.

• Love 2