Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)
20 hours ago, seasick said:

Here's the thing about being a 'couch coach'.  I don't think I have to be there in order to have some questions about their choices.    

It would be great if we could ask the participants questions about certain choices they make.     For example,  3 of them brought down sleeping bags. VI is one of the wettest places on earth.  Many of us questioned that choice from people who know where they are going, what the weather is like and are experienced outdoorsmen.    Maaybeee we're missing something but I don't have to be there to know that down is useless when wet and question why they made that choice.  (It's possible there's a good explanation that we don't know about..but it's a legit question from anywhere.)  

Many have also questioned why gill nets were not put out much sooner. Some seemed to wait over a week or two.. Randy..longer.  It appears that within a couple of days you can mark the tides and it seems to take less than an hour to set it up.  Certainly there could be legitimate reasons that we're not aware of, but again it seems a legit question when it is likely the primary food source. 

Dave's fire ring seems small, unstable and built on an slant.  The pot tipped once because of it.  Why hasn't Dave improved it?   Why did Dave allow himself to get dehydrated.  It would seem fire and water are daily staples.   Fire isn't always easy to start ---but it is not going to get any easier!!  It has to be done --and if water needs boiling then that too.  It's going to be a long haul if these 2 things are put off as too much of a pain in the ass until things get critical.

I can hear the    'But you weren't there!  You don't know!!! "  Well, then I hope one day they can tell us.   I'm sure some ideas can be outlandish but i think many thoughts and questions are quite legitimate.

As far as the different types of forests, I agree the rainforest is unique and most of the US citizens are not  familiar with it but it's not as though they were expecting to build with bamboo.  It's dense and spooky and wet.  No surprise there.  Other than that I don't see it as a huge factor for making shelter.  

With Tracy.. In the 'deeper cut"' version, Tracy noted that she felt a sense of impending trouble which is why she felt she needed to get that (guilt/shooting)  story out that night.  I don't know what Tracy's motivation was for coming or for going.  The entire course of events was strange as was her comment that she had the urgent need to tell this story before the tap-out trigger.  Somethin'  odd there...   

I think in the first week since they're still busy setting up, getting used to the area and the tides, most of them ate foods that are easy to find like mushrooms, seaweeds, bull kelps, etc cause when they're about to set up their gill nets, most of them said they need food/protein that will give them more calorie. In an interview before they're being sent off, Justin said he probably will eat the ration the first few days. Didn't the guys from last season also set up their gill nets after a week? There must be something that we're missing on why they wait for a week.  

I agree about Tracy. She did mention that there are more stories to tell so I definitely think there's more to it. From what she said before tap out, my guess is she didn't deal with the shooting incident well. Maybe she have a history of being physical or violent. Too bad she tapped out before she can tell us the rest of the story.

I think History should do an interview after each tap out where they can answer fans questions. I wanna ask David why did he wait til he's dehydrated to boil water or ask Larry why he's so negative lol

Edited by Joan Z
  • Love 2
(edited)

For those who missed the episode and shut out of watching the last week's show online, your friends here will reenact the episode with shadow puppets.

Palm undulating is Nicole's giant fish.

Honestly, the posts here are more entertaining than a good portion of last week's episode.

I can do with a lot less of David staring angrily at the realization that he doesn't have the emotional or mental fortitude to go the distance to win.

Hope he doesn't use any of the video he self shot on VI on his Christian Mingle profile.

Edited by humbleopinion
Additional nonsense
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, humbleopinion said:

I can do with a lot less of David staring angrily at the realization that he doesn't have the emotional or mental fortitude to go the distance to win.

Yeah, the "thousand mile stare" (which we are seeing a lot of as "acting" on Fear the Walking Dead unfortunately-but I digress), was something that we saw with the guy from last season (who I thought would go far-cannot remember his name) who was from the Pittsburgh/PA area who tapped out either before or after Brant. He would just sit by the water watching the otters too. Kiss of the tap out: watching the otters! 

19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I wonder how much of this is due to "bad technique" as opposed to doing what needed to be done with the limited toolset they were allowed. I doubt that many of them would be doing such fine work with axes or knives the size of machetes if they had the ability to use a smaller knife. But a second smaller knife means no gill net or no emergency rations, etc.

Yes, it could be some of them not used to the tools that they chose or it could be that they're get distracted while talking to the camera. Camera can be a PITA though. I remember when Larry carrying tarp and woods up on the hill, the camera view is from up on the hill which means he did twice as much trips going up and down the hill to set up the camera then to carry his stuffs. Maybe that's why Larry so angry all the time lol 

• Love 3

Well, color me surprised that Randy is still hanging in there. I was so sure he would tap out soon after losing his ferro rod. But he has shocked me and kept his fire going on his own. He's also making me happy by building a log lean-to! Finally. He needs to work on food, though. I don't want to see another person living off of rats. 

Nicole seems to have a pretty good shelter going as well. I love all the ferns hanging in front. You could walk right by that place and not even see it. I'm glad she didn't get eaten by a bear, I really like her. 

Literally 2 minutes of Jose. Thanks a lot, show. He must win. 

David is getting on my last freaking nerves. He keeps talking about tapping out - "just do it already!" It really bothers me how much he has mentioned the prize money. I don't begrudge any of them for wanting to win, that's a lot of money. But I just have a lot more respect for those who are really looking to get something out of this - to challenge themselves, to grow. He seems like he's just biding his time and hoping for a quick payday. He just really rubs me the wrong way. He seems so morose and like he doesn't enjoy it at all. 

Contrast that with Justin, who seems to be having an absolute blast. I love that he built himself a rope swing. I think it's great that he's working out every day. Sure, it's burning extra calories. But it's also giving him a sense or routine and accomplishment. It seems really healthy mentally for him. I'm sure once the rains really kick in he'll have to hole up a bit more, so get out and enjoy it while you can!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Joan Z said:

I think in the first week since they're still busy setting up, getting used to the area and the tides, most of them ate foods that are easy to find like mushrooms, seaweeds, bull kelps, etc cause when they're about to set up their gill nets, most of them said they need food/protein that will give them more calorie. In an interview before they're being sent off, Justin said he probably will eat the ration the first few days. Didn't the guys from last season also set up their gill nets after a week? There must be something that we're missing on why they wait for a week.  

I agree about Tracy. She did mention that there are more stories to tell so I definitely think there's more to it. From what she said before tap out, my guess is she didn't deal with the shooting incident well. Maybe she have a history of being physical or violent. Too bad she tapped out before she can tell us the rest of the story.

I think History should do an interview after each tap out where they can answer fans questions. 

See, that's my confusion.   Waiting until you feel like having fish for dinner before putting out the net seems irresponsible and foolish for experienced bushcrafters.  (like I said..waiting until things get critical before you deal with them..not very survivalist thinking )  I think most were unfamiliar with the gill net and so avoided dealing with it until they had to.  I can accept that (and relate); Too busy doing other things to lay out a net--which once set requires no time or effort until the next tide--no.   Nicole admitted that she wasn't sure she was doing it right but was willing to shrug and do trial and error.  Perhaps the others weren't as willing to display their inexperience.    So that would be one of my first questions from the couch.  As a viewer I want to know about challenges that I cannot see from here. I too, hope History abides.   

Here's my take on Tracy.  Tracy "packed up her troubles in her old kit bag" ..and once settled, intended to unload them --one by one,-- on the audience.   These weren't ghosts that appear after weeks of rainy isolation and hunger under a cold damp sleeping bag.  People in the military and certainly law enforcement face horrors and fear I cannot fathom.  However I find they rarely if ever use them for campfire stories.  

I feel sorry for Tracy in that she has many reasons,  PTSD likely,  that keep her from having hope and happiness.  But my personal belief is when you're so anxious to make sure everyone knows how and why,  that it is self-serving to a different purpose.    I believe Tracy came to tell her stories and not for the bushcraft.   If she seeks real help she could possibly get the hope and happiness she's *says* she's looking for instead of the self-affirming pity she is getting.  I do however understand how she described her feelings when she tapped... how adrenalin can bring you to that ugly place.  Some people like that feeling..but I'm with her..i hate it.  

Although Larry seemed okay in the last ep. with his new site for camp, I did wonder if he thought he made a good choice when it seemed REALLY hard to get to!  If every trip up, including bringing the camera is a "poor Larry" shitfest then he better spend those quiet hours thinking up more curse and swear combinations.

I don't know if Production can sit idly by with Larry screaming he's gonna burn the place down.  I seriously think they may come for Larry   ....possibly with a white coat..

• Love 2

David reminds me of Eeyore.

Tigger (Justin): "Hey, Eeyore, it's a beeeyoooteeful day! Wanna come play on muscle beach? We can swing on the rope and everything!!!!!

Eeyore (David): " Nope. Might rain."

• Love 8

I can understand not putting out the gill net immediately. There are a lot of things that are more urgent than catching fish, and having a fire and a "cook camp" is necessary before even trying to catch fish. A week seems excessive though, I'd probably want to start catching fish after a few days.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

...David is getting on my last freaking nerves... It really bothers me how much he has mentioned the prize money. I don't begrudge any of them for wanting to win, that's a lot of money....

IIRC he mentioned doing this for the money which would be used to benefit his children.  Have a hunch when he taps out, it will be because of his children.

Funny how children become the reason for entering for some, and exiting for others.  For some contestants children may be reason for both entering and exiting.

Funny how they do not want to do it for the experience, or quit because it is too much for them.

Edited by Liberty
Clarity
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ooogleeyes said:

Would they be allowed  to hunt? Like deer?

One of the difficulties of this challenge is the timing of it.  Alan from Season 1 said that he was talking to a local person before the challenge started about what was happening (what are they doing here, what's with the cameras, etc.) and the local person laughed and said something like, "You guys chose the exact wrong time to start this."  Because on Day 33 of season 1 everything started to frost over, so it seems like the Alone producers decided to give the contestants one month to settle in before winter hits.  The problem is by late fall:  1)  the berries in the forest have mostly been eaten, and 2)  there's very limited animal activity in the forest (except, of course, for bears, who are looking for stuff to eat before hibernation).

My guess is, the Alone producers knew if they started this challenge in the spring, the contestants would be going into the woods every morning for berry breakfast, and the woods would be teaming with animal activity, so everyone would use their bow and arrow to shoot the deer.  The challenge would probably go on for half a year or more.  So the producers decided to throw winter at the contestants within weeks of their arrival.  From the state of the forest, it looks like this season started during roughly the same time period as the last season.

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I can understand not putting out the gill net immediately. There are a lot of things that are more urgent than catching fish, and having a fire and a "cook camp" is necessary before even trying to catch fish. A week seems excessive though, I'd probably want to start catching fish after a few days.

For my money I would attempt and hopefully get.. fire the first night.  I'd be boiling water then, just in case of no rain. 

It will be at least 12 hours before they can check their net.  And that's if both low tides happened during daylight, which is not likely.  So figure 24 hours til they're able to check their net from the time they set it.  Throwing together a quick fire ring if you *do* catch something seems little effort for the reward.  Meanwhile they can continue installing their appliances ala Mike :) into their cook camps.    

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I would watch the otters too. They are too cute!

When I was stationed at Ft Ord, many a day, I drove south along the coast down to Big Sur. I spent more than a few days sitting watching the waves. Nothing wrong with appreciating the beauty of VI, as long as he's also doing the things he needs to establish/maintain his camp and prepare for the days to come. I did notice in one scene he had dimensional lumber leaning against a tree by his shelter. No hint of what he did with the boards, though. Like I said, it is possible he's doing stuff we're not seeing. I doubt it, though, and have been waiting for him to tap since he waxed poetic about KFC and tacos.

• Love 3

The one thing I will say about fast food is, it kind of exemplifies what they are missing out on when they're on VI. It's quick, calorically dense, and extremely easy to acquire. That being said, I'd probably be fantasizing about a filet mignon with mashed potatoes and asparagus :)

• Love 2

I don't know, there's something about starvation. I battled anorexia in high school and my early 20s. On nights when I went to bed without having eaten anything all day, I remember fantasizing about the junkiest of foods. And I wasn't really a huge junk food eater, I'm still not. I mean, I like my chocolate, but I rarely eat fast food, don't keep chips or cookies in the house on a regular basis, etc. But for whatever reason, that's what my mind would go to when I was super hungry. Maybe your body is craving stuff with biggest calorie/fat intake possible? I don't know...

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I don't know, there's something about starvation. I battled anorexia in high school and my early 20s. On nights when I went to bed without having eaten anything all day, I remember fantasizing about the junkiest of foods. And I wasn't really a huge junk food eater, I'm still not. I mean, I like my chocolate, but I rarely eat fast food, don't keep chips or cookies in the house on a regular basis, etc. But for whatever reason, that's what my mind would go to when I was super hungry. Maybe your body is craving stuff with biggest calorie/fat intake possible? I don't know...

It's that instant gratification! There's something very appealing about just ripping open a bag (of chips, cookies, etc) when you are very very hungry.

• Love 2

It's like being pregnant, you never know what you're going to crave. When I was pregnant I couldn't get enough of artichoke hearts and broccoli, and I craved seafood, which I normally really dislike. I suppose sometimes cravings have to do with any type of nutritional imbalance a person may have. If they are not getting a lot of salt, I totally can see craving things like potato chips and sugary items as this will help to create the correct electrolyte balance in the brain. If a person is anemic, it wouldn't be out of the question for them to be craving ice chips, or dirt or clay. I know that I craved ice chips when I was anemic and it made no sense to me because I don't like when super cold stuff hit my teeth.  

• Love 1

I know about pregnancy cravings. :-) I craved tacos and guacamole when I was pregnant. No idea why and I was more then happy to eat the guac because, well good fats and veggies (tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic in the guac we made) so I didn't feel guilty about it. And I love chicken tacos.

My reading on the subject directed me to have some fruit when I craved sugar and not a candy bar because my body needed the nutrients found in the fruit and that the sugar trigger was less about needing the sweet but the nutrients associated with the foods that are naturally sweet, ie fruit. After all, a few hundred years ago, never mind thousands of years ago, the sweet craving would not have sent women looking for a Snickers bar. Because of the sheer amount of prepackaged foods and junk foods in most of our diets we tend to misread our cravings. The books I read suggested that one reason that women but on too much weight when pregnant (more then 25-30 pounds) is that they associate the sugar craving with candy and the craving is only temporarily fulfilled because that bowl of ice cream or Snickers bar does not have the nutrients that the body needs so the craving reasserts itself.

• Love 2

I thought someone mentioned that the tides were unpredictable and could be affected by the weather.Putting out the gill net needs some observation, are you in low or high tide, how high does it get so you can set your net at the right hieght, not too low  not too high. is it the same every day or does it vary......

it might take some observation if you don't want to lose your net right away. 

• Love 1

The tides are predictable. The storms that can affect the oceans behavior are not predictable. Tides have a known schedule, it is published in newspapers and online for people who live near the coast. It does shift each day but you are talking by minutes. It does take some time to adjust to them but I would think that anyone who is in the area training should begin to get a good understand of what the tides timetable is. And we are seeing people who are having success with their gill nets so I don't think that is a tide thing and figuring out the best place to put the net. People with more experience fishing are likely to have more success then others.

You may call me Captain Obvious....

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

I thought someone mentioned that the tides were unpredictable and could be affected by the weather.Putting out the gill net needs some observation, are you in low or high tide, how high does it get so you can set your net at the right hieght, not too low  not too high. is it the same every day or does it vary......

it might take some observation if you don't want to lose your net right away. 

Sort of depends on what you're trying to predict. You can get a tide chart today that will tell you when high tide will be on Christmas Day. How high high, or low low, tide will be will depend on several variables, including weather, the sea bottom off shore at your location, your latitude, the moon phase, time of year, etc. Lots of words to say the tide is both predicable, and unpredictable at the same time.

• Love 1

In the interest of clarification, someone upthread attributed this awesome quote to me, but I was just quoting the original from mythreecents:

On 5/20/2016 at 9:38 PM, mythreecents said:

But living hand-to-mouse is not going to work...

Didn't Alan say last year that he spent a lot of time observing the timing and strength of the tides in his part of the coastline so he could get a handle on the rhythm and magnitude before putting up his nets?  That would prevent someone from putting up their nets **cough Nicole cough** in known bear territory, or in an area that didn't get the full sweep of the current, or in a place which would be difficult to access during a not-so low tide.

• Love 1

Tides are predictable.  They go from dead low to top high in approx.  6 hours,  then retreat back to dead low about 6 hours later.   Tidal range is the change in the level from low to high.   The Bay of Fundy is known for having one of the greatest tidal ranges North America --as much as 16 feet difference.  Where I am on the coast of NJ it is around 4 or 5 feet.  

The moon affects the tide levels also.  i.e. water levels are higher during a full moon.  

VI is in a higher northern Latitude so their tidal range is more profound than NJ.   I think someone said about 9 feet.

When I go to my boat dock, during low tide there might be a foot of water under my boat.  On high, 5 feet.  

But these guys are on a beach, so the tides bring water closer to the beach on high, retreats out quite a bit on low as we have seen.   They have one advantage of being able to see a lot of the sea bed when the tide retreats, so they can see the slope of it.     Barring a storm, or high consistent winds that won't let the water retreat normally,  it's a pretty consistent ebb and flow there.  Nothing changes much from day to day.  

Putting out a gill net is a crap shoot anyway.  Trial and error.  Just like regular fishing.  Take a chance, walk out a few feet,  eyeball where you think the water level came up to during high, and stick it in.  Take a look 6 hours later to see where the water level is, and check it again at low to see of you caught anything.    It's not big science really.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think tides are more predictable the closer to the ocean that you are. I know that with the tidal flow in bays can really be not as even. as 6+. When I used to sail on the Hudson river, I had to learn that there were different tide times on each side of the river about an hour apart even though we were pretty close to the ocean in Hoboken, maybe a mile away. Now if they are in a bay off a bay it could be even more lopsided,  In addition the variance in the tidal currents could depend on if that particular inlet is aligned with the winds or not. If it is so aligned the wind could have a far stronger influence rather than one that is more wooded and sheltered. Observing the area for a few days would not kill anyone and could give them some good information. JMHO

ETA - also some of these inlets have rivers coming in and mixing fresh with salt water which could also shift things.

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 1

I remember that Mitch had issues with the tides last season. I think that he said that the low tide was in the middle of the night and he was having a hard time figuring it out because he did not necessarily want to tread out there in the dark. I do not know if he had the issues of the ocean and bay or if the tides change with the season. I just remember him saying something like that. I assume that he was accurate, but I don't have the knowledge base to know. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it's probably easy enough to say the tides are predictable, but we don't know how much access they have to that local information beforehand, nor do I even know if they have a watch or anything to tell them exactly what time it is. If Mitch had trouble with them, I know I would have trouble with them ;)

• Love 2

They don't need a tide table or a clock.  It doesn't matter what time the tide is low or even if they know enough to call it low tide.   When the water level is low enough from the beach to set their net, they can set their net,  When the water level is low enough again to check their net, then they can check their net.  

If they're not familiar with tidal water and plan to use a gill net , probably not a bad idea to ask around about tides before you leave.  But if they don't know the general 12 hour return of the tide then they can see it with your own eyes.. At VI the change in the water level is very very obvious because of beach and the range.  Sometimes the beach is small. Sometimes you can walk out quite a ways there to the water. It happens every day. 

As far as Mitch..If he set his net at midday , the next time the water will be at that level will be when its dark.   Sometime the next day , around the time he set it,  he'd notice that the water level had returned  to a low level enough to check his net.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I remember that Mitch had issues with the tides last season. I think that he said that the low tide was in the middle of the night and he was having a hard time figuring it out because he did not necessarily want to tread out there in the dark. I do not know if he had the issues of the ocean and bay or if the tides change with the season. I just remember him saying something like that. I assume that he was accurate, but I don't have the knowledge base to know. 

Tides aren't exactly 6 hours apart, so they gradually make their way around the clock. Couple that with the gradually decreasing daylight hours where they are, and you get several days a month (4, maybe?) where both low tides are in the dark.

With the predators out there, walking to the water in the dark, getting a struggling fish out of a net, and cleaning it... is probably not recommended. Now add to that days where it's raining too hard to leave the shelter, and you end up with a lot of hungry days, even if there are fish in the net.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, BlueJayFan said:

David reminds me of Eeyore.

Tigger (Justin): "Hey, Eeyore, it's a beeeyoooteeful day! Wanna come play on muscle beach? We can swing on the rope and everything!!!!!

Eeyore (David): " Nope. Might rain."

Probably more like:
"My kids once asked me if I would build them a rope swing....." *sniffs, looks into the distance with tears welling in his eyes* "...and I had to tell them no, we couldn't afford it. So if they wanted a swing they'd have to steal a sheep and weave the rope from it's fleece first."

• Love 11

Unlike last year, they still have 7 people at this stage so finding screen time for all of them is hard. Mike had a lot the previous two weeks so I think this was a down week for him.

• Love 2

In the beginning, the difference between the Mike and Jose, with Larry sandwiched between them was so striking but pretty damn funny!  

Mike:  Plastic container!  I shall build an outrigger!  Pirate sounds!  Yay!  Woohoo!

Larry:  Life sucks.  (sonofabitchdamnittohell)  I'm so bored.  (hellmothafuckersonofabitch) There's nothing to do.  Oh,woe. (goddamnlifecrapshit)  Oh, a mouse is eating my pack.  I won't move it.  I'll swear.  

Jose:  There will be a salmon run.  I shall start on the gunwale of my amazing canoe.  Oops.  Something broke, doggone it.  I'll think about it for a while. I am still serene. 

I love this show.  

• Love 12
(edited)

So, tonight!

The pre-show: was excited to see the current contestants provide insight but THEN! I thought, they're speaking in the past tense, which yah I know it was last week, but does that mean they're not still up Island wandering around the rainforest? Because I've been kind of hoping a few of them still are, even as we watch, though I know that's unlikely. (Or is it? Does anyone know for sure?)

Larry knows there's more than one mouse on VI right? His threat to burn the place down seemed way over the top. And the constant bleeping is annoying. Shortest fuse of any electrician I've seen... 

Nicole: I love Nicole's philosophy on being respectful to the creatures she kills to eat. As a former professional chef, it's one I hold dear.  I think I would be concerned about her "oneness" with the bears, but knowing she has a background in living with lions in Africa, clearly big predator experience so her attitude is educated as opposed to overly optimistic wrt the bears I think. Her story of looking for her stepson is heartbreaking. It seems they all have a "story", which I'm guessing is part of the reason certain folks were cast: a compelling story to relay to the audience. 

Randy: nice to see him catching fish. And a mattress, mattresses are so key to staying warm, I'm surprised more of them haven't built up mattresses, that we've seen anyway. Also, nice ink. But Randy, the show is called "Alone". "Alone" Randy. Did you not get the memo? Why you talking so much about how you don't want to be "Alone"? You only have to stay alone til everyone else goes home, it's not a permanent state. 

Jose: the shift from "surviving" to "wilderness living" (I think that's the phrase he used). Great distinction when you're in it for the long haul. Looking forward to seeing his boat and hope he doesn't miss the salmon run. 

David: still there hey? 

I missed the first 15 minutes, but it's on again in 2 hours so I'll watch then--did I miss Mike and the launch of SS Barbara?

ETA: I saw the re-broadcast!  Mike WAS so cute with his boat, he looked so happy with it. I look forward to seeing how he uses it to his advantage. 

Edited by mythreecents
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, mythreecents said:

But Randy, the show is called "Alone". "Alone" Randy. Did you not get the memo? Why you talking so much about how you don't want to be "Alone"? You only have to stay alone til everyone else goes home, it's not a permanent state. 

David: still there hey? 

I missed the first 15 minutes, but it's on again in 2 hours so I'll watch then--did I miss Mike and the launch of SS Barbara?

I literally LOL'd at Randy and his 'alone' rambling.  Seriously, what. is. this. show. called.

It was nice to be spared creepy David this episode! 

Yes, Mike and SS Barbara come on at the very beginning.  Very cute!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, mythreecents said:

Yes, and it was kinda awesome. I was bummed that he didn't name it "Barbara & Sluggo". 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mythreecents said:

Randy: nice to see him catching fish. And a mattress, mattresses are so key to staying warm, I'm surprised more of them haven't built up mattresses, that we've seen anyway. Also, nice ink. But Randy, the show is called "Alone". "Alone" Randy. Did you not get the memo? Why you talking so much about how you don't want to be "Alone"? You only have to stay alone til everyone else goes home, it's not a permanent state.

I know, I was thinking the same thing.  I know they say there's no way to anticipate what it's like to be completely alone for such long stretches of time, but how could it be so bad that a guy can't find a way to hang on for what he knows is going to be a finite period of time?  I don't know, I live in the philosophical state on a regular basis.  I don't have to go out into the wilderness before I am hit by the feeling that I must know what I'm doing out there and what I'm getting out of it, etc.  I would have that figured out before I even went there or why even bother?  I have learned how to "make do" and make lemons out of lemonade in my life over and over again, so perhaps I just know how to accept discomfort and move on better than some people. 

As kooky and earth mother-ish as she is, I find that I have more in common with Nicole than I thought, at least mentally.  Sure, the experience would bring me in touch with things I've left unresolved.  I'm sure I'd cry, but I would feel that it was something good and cleansing in the long run and move beyond it.  I don't get these people that can't put it into perspective and see it as a personal challenge that they would like to achieve for themselves.  Where's the desire to win in some of these people?  What is so freaking bad about being alone?  I'm a solitary type so perhaps that's why I can't wrap my mind around it.  I just think some people can't handle the fact that being alone makes them face stuff they'd rather not have to face.  I guess I've never been one to shy away from that.  I know that sometimes pain and loneliness can be good for the soul.  Living in that space where you realize what's really important to you can renew one's sense of priorities and bring you closer to an inner sense of peace.  It doesn't have to feel like solitary confinement, especially when you know it's only temporary.  I just think some of these people don't have the soul-strength to see the experience from that perspective.

Recently I was in touch with a relative I found online and we shared old family photos.  I had to dig them out and scan them to send to her.  I totally forgot what kind of affect it would have on me on Mother's day of all days to be looking at old photos of my Mom and Grandma.  I spent the entire cold, blustery day digging through old photos and crying my eyes out.  When I told my relative she apologized and told me she didn't want me to upset myself just to send her some photos.  I told her not to feel bad because it was something I had to do.  I actually felt better afterwards.  I probably won't look at those photos again for a while, but I'm not unhappy I did it.   That's probably how I'd look at doing this show.

• Love 6

There was too little Mike and his awesome boat you dance in! I wonder why Jose didn't start making a boat sooner.

Larry just cracked me up with his constant flying off the handle. If the log is too short, use it to measure another log before you cut that one!

I like Nicole and her attitude toward the bear family. Everyone just keeps their distance.

I agree with everyone re: Randy - It's called Alone! Duh! :-)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This is probably the reason Larry is an electrician and not a carpenter.

LOLOLOL I was thinking the same thing when I saw him do that, but kind of backwards. I thought "I guess they don't have the measure twice cut once rule in electrician land"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

As kooky and earth mother-ish as she is, I find that I have more in common with Nicole than I thought, at least mentally.  Sure, the experience would bring me in touch with things I've left unresolved.  I'm sure I'd cry, but I would feel that it was something good and cleansing in the long run and move beyond it.  I don't get these people that can't put it into perspective and see it as a personal challenge that they would like to achieve for themselves.  Where's the desire to win in some of these people?  What is so freaking bad about being alone?  I'm a solitary type so perhaps that's why I can't wrap my mind around it.  I just think some people can't handle the fact that being alone makes them face stuff they'd rather not have to face.  I guess I've never been one to shy away from that.  I know that sometimes pain and loneliness can be good for the soul.  Living in that space where you realize what's really important to you can renew one's sense of priorities and bring you closer to an inner sense of peace.  It doesn't have to feel like solitary confinement, especially when you know it's only temporary.  I just think some of these people don't have the soul-strength to see the experience from that perspective.

I agree! I think you hit the nail on the head--it's how they view the experience. Nicole's distress as she cried and told her story seemed very normal, and cathartic. When it was done she sniffled and got back to business. I guess "healthy" is the word I'd use. Tracy, on the other hand, did not seem to have actually dealt with her issues, and consequently, seemed to have an unhealthy response. I'm using these as broad examples because clearly I don't know what goes on in their heads, but that's the impression I am getting. "Soul-strength" is a great phrase, thanks for that. 

• Love 6