Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

So I just checked back with some episodes from S1,  just to compare the season timelines and episode count.  (not that it necessarily indicates the time for the F1..but just my obsession with the show I guess.  

Episode 5 ... Day 6.   Day 6!!!     5 men remain.  Day 8..  Dustin taps out..4 men remain...

Episode 6....  Day 15..4 men remain.. and ends on Day 22 with no taps that ep.    At one point it said it has rained 13 days out of the 15 they were out there.   This season's aloners have had great weather so far in comparison.

Justin annoys me for some reason.  Maybe it's the edit he gets.  He comes off as cocky to me so far.  

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Larry gets off the island and goes home, gets a job as a spokesman for a pest control company and does infomercials about how to properly exterminate mice. He becomes an Internet sensation.

If he had set a mouse trap like Randy or Sam (last year), he probably could have caught that mouse and then ate it! The ultimate revenge! Could you image the rage eating from Larry? Humorous but scary. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

If he had set a mouse trap like Randy or Sam (last year), he probably could have caught that mouse and then ate it! The ultimate revenge! Could you image the rage eating from Larry? Humorous but scary. 

Alternately, since he said the same mouse kept bugging him, he could have figured a way to train it and turn it into a pet. Then he wouldn't be alone!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Alternately, since he said the same mouse kept bugging him, he could have figured a way to train it and turn it into a pet. Then he wouldn't be alone!

Aren't they specifically forbidden to do that? I vaguely remember last year something was posted that said, as part of the rules, they were forbidden from making pets of any of the wildlife.

It would be like killing the animal to tame it then leave it to fend for itself. See Mark the Chicken on Survivor as an example. I don't want them becoming friends with the animals, that only happens in fairy tales. Nicole is already becoming fond of the bear family.

On May 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Saylii said:

Apparently one of the reasons Tracy tapped was because she had injured her shoulder and needed 6.5 hour reconstructive surgery after the show.

She talks about the night briefly on her Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1737219546537410&id=1699383673654331

Edit: If you poke around her page at all, there may be spoilers based on who is actively commenting and posting.  Proceed with caution.

I know that reality tv isn't always...well, real. But, I was so disappointed to read this because I don't recall hearing ANYTHING about a shoulder problem during her episodes, does anyone else? It would be one thing for the producers to exaggerate or play up an edit for added drama, but this seems not quite fair to Tracy or us. I mean, we could decide for ourselves if it was her fear of being out of control at the bear cub, or fear of the bears in general, but this shoulder thing wasn't in the mix. Boo!

And my money's still on David to go next, unless he dissolves into a soul-sucking pool of bitter self-pity mixed with religious and parental guilt and is washed away with the tides in the next rainfall. 
Or you know, he finds a bucket of fried chicken and a Coke on the beach and that fills him with renewed vigour and takes it as a sign from Jesus that he needs to stay "FOR HIS CHILDREN"!

• Love 1

Yeah, the shoulder was never mentioned when she was there,  but in her facebook it seemed like she was saying that it  worked out well that she tapped-out because of the bears  because she had hurt her shoulder and it turned out to be more serious than she thought.   

I'll take this at face value.    But there is a  part of me that would not be shocked if the majority of Tracy is bullshit or greatly exaggerated.    I don't know much about shoulder injuries but it would seem the amount of damage that accounted for a 6 1/2 hour operation would have had her wincing and not tossing her pack around.. .  Just saying.  

• Love 5

6.5 hours makes sense if they were pinning broken shoulder bone and not just fixing a dislocation that couldn't be popped back in.

I suspect that Tracy had none of the shoulder stuff on camera.  She said she hurt it scouting for a new site and I'd be surprised if she was actively running the camera during her fall.  We saw a lot of action footage the first few days while she set up camp.  Then the rest of the footage was in the dark in her tent.  I really think she thought the medical doctor would pop the shoulder back into place during the next checkup, she would wear a sling and take it easy for a few more days, and no one would know she was ever hurt.

Then the bears came and caused the check up to be moved forward.  The doctor came out and realized it was broken, not dislocated, and they made her tap.

• Love 2

I was at the beach and fell in the water and some tried to help me up from behind me and jerked me up, they tore my rotator cuff and now my shoulder dislocates very easily.  The doctor said It was not worth repairing it because it was only 75% torn and I could build up muscle to stop some of my problems and he just did not like to do surgery on older people. It still dislocates, but I have gotten very good a popping it back in place quickly. ,Now it is quite possible she tore hers 100%^, that would take a lot of surgery. and unless you are moving your shoulder in a certain direction, it is only a little sore, move it the wrong way, agonizing pain. I could see where she would not know it was that bad and try and tough it out. 

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I started watching a show called Mygrations on National Geographic Channel and it was something I think all of you survival types might enjoy.  The premise is that 20 handpicked people are thrown together to cross the Serengeti, following the wildebeest migration to a river 200 (?) miles away. It's sort of like a Naked and Afraid XL but with clothing and provisions which the herd of people have to carry themselves (including those big jugs of water).  For me the group dynamics are interesting. First episode repeats on Monday at 9PM and a new episode is at 10.  Just in case you need your weekly man/woman vs. nature fix. 

Thanks for this recommendation.  We caught the first episode and it does seem kind of interesting.  I don't really care for the Naked and Afraid style of narrating ("The contestants have to make their way through BRUTAL terrain filled with MAN-EATING COUGARS and DEADLY SNAKES, etc., etc.) but you're right, the group dynamic is interesting.  They really, REALLY need to stop calling themselves "the herd" though.

On topic:  I go back and forth on Fuckin' Larry.  Sometimes I think he's hilarious and sometimes I think he needs a Valium.  But I have to give him credit - every time I think he's going to rage quit, he comes back with a calm demeanor and solves whatever problem he's having at the moment. 

• Love 2

I hae no problem with fucking Larry, I tend to be that person who rants and vents when upset and then is just fine. I just finished a loud venting session, complete with a ton of fucks, shits, and assholes, went for a walk and am back at my desk "working." OK, so the work I need to do I can't for all sorts of stupid legal reasons which means my work is done without being done but with legal reasons why it is done.

I love my job.

So I totally get Larry because I am Larry. I need to vent and be vocally pissed off in order to get over whatever it is that is pissing me off. The good news is my co-workers understand me and I get bonuses and special awards even with that little (ok not so little) character flaw.

• Love 5

Yeah, me too. My husband and I were watching, and my husband said Larry was my soulmate because we both have low frustration tolerance and a creative vocabulary. (I love swearing. Really!)

• Love 2
On 5/31/2016 at 0:22 AM, Saylii said:

6.5 hours makes sense if they were pinning broken shoulder bone and not just fixing a dislocation that couldn't be popped back in.

I suspect that Tracy had none of the shoulder stuff on camera.  She said she hurt it scouting for a new site and I'd be surprised if she was actively running the camera during her fall.  We saw a lot of action footage the first few days while she set up camp.  Then the rest of the footage was in the dark in her tent.  I really think she thought the medical doctor would pop the shoulder back into place during the next checkup, she would wear a sling and take it easy for a few more days, and no one would know she was ever hurt.

Then the bears came and caused the check up to be moved forward.  The doctor came out and realized it was broken, not dislocated, and they made her tap.

I don't understand this explanation.   There was plenty of footage the day of Tracys tap.  It showed her rolling her gill net on a lodge pole and bringing it to the water to set it up.  It showed her checking her net later and showing us a crab and a fish.  Then she's cooking at her campfire,  then we see her in her sleeping bag telling her cop story.  She might have aggravated an old injury such as Holly4755 described, but she showed no sign major pain or loss of use as might be in a broken shoulder.  Also the idea that she could have thought they would treat her at camp ,and then keep it on the down-low so no one would know she was hurt doesn't seem within the rules  I also doubt a doctor would diagnose a broken shoulder, on-site in the dark.

On her facebook page she never denies that the bears were the reason for the tap out.  Sounds like she realized that her shoulder was a problem and only going to get worse by all the physical labor she would be doing,  and it was time to deal with it anyway.

• Love 1

I had a shoulder issue (impingement) and had no issues with it UNLESS I tried a lateral raise above shoulder height. Then it was holy hell. Everything below, you would hardly know. So, perhaps Tracy's issue was something like that and would only have been noticed if she did a specific movement. For myself, you just start avoiding movements that hurt and long-term you limit your range of motion and it creates other issues. Not sure if that is the same with Tracy. I really hope she shows up on the ending show to explain more. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I had a shoulder issue (impingement) and had no issues with it UNLESS I tried a lateral raise above shoulder height. Then it was holy hell. Everything below, you would hardly know. So, perhaps Tracy's issue was something like that and would only have been noticed if she did a specific movement. For myself, you just start avoiding movements that hurt and long-term you limit your range of motion and it creates other issues. Not sure if that is the same with Tracy. I really hope she shows up on the ending show to explain more. 

Yep, definitely. The shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint and there are a lot of places for an injury to "hide." It's kind of like how people with a messed-up rotator cuff can go for a really long time without an accurate diagnosis, and even then they would only notice it during specific tasks and might not bother to get it fixed for a while.

• Love 2

I'm just saying that I thought Tracy's facebook explanation was pretty straightforward.  She wanted to tap because of the bears  (she said so before the safety crew arrived)  and she had a (apparently former)  shoulder injury that got re-injured and so that helped make the final decision. It turned out to be more serious than she thought so she's glad she tapped when she did.  To me it clarified it wasn't the just the shoulder but a combination of both.

As far as getting diagnosed with a broken shoulder by the doc at the tap-out (was there even a doc at the tap out?) or hoping to get treated and put in a sling and keep it from the show...that's none of Tracy's story.   I never saw --in her facebook at least-- that the doctor came and made her tap. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I hae no problem with fucking Larry, I tend to be that person who rants and vents when upset and then is just fine.

That's me too.  I used to say I'm like the lyrics "when I start to make you nervous and I'm going to extremes, tomorrow I will change and today don't mean a thing" hee.  So I like fucking Larry and root for him to succeed; I liked seeing him genuinely happy about his new campsite. 

I understand Randy about being alone.  You can live alone and like being alone and prefer being alone but you pretty much always have the option of getting your ass up and about and interacting with other people if you want to.  On this show, unless you tap out, you don't.  Plus you have no idea what the end point will be.  I think it's a lot easier to think you'll be able to do it than to actually do it.

I binged the first season and knew Alan was the winner so I wasn't particularly invested; this season I feel like we have a good cast and I'm interested in them in different ways.  Jose, competent and zen; Mike and Nicole, happy and adventurous (so far); Randy, struggling to persevere; Eeyore David (TY to whoever coined that) but still able to enjoy the otters (for now); Justin, man with a plan and a gym; and fucking Larry.

I think my money is still on FL or David next, then maybe Randy or Justin if it all becomes too much.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Nicole because she's the last woman standing and I like her, I just hope emotions don't get in her way, or Mike's for that matter.

No new ep on my DVR for tomorrow, I guess because of Roots.

Edited by raven
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, raven said:

Plus you have no idea what the end point will be.  I think it's a lot easier to think you'll be able to do it than to actually do it.

This is what I always tell my husband when he starts comparing these contestants to the ones on Naked and Afraid. We argue a lot, haha. He's all, "The people on N&A last 21 days and this guy can't make it a week?" to which I counter, "It's a lot easier when you have a partner". Then he'll say, "Yea, but what about ___, who's partner tapped out early and they did it all on their own?" and then I respond, "Fair enough, but they know all they have to get to is 21 days. Out there, you have no idea how many people are left or when this will be over. It's a whole different kind of mindfuck". And then he just rolls his eyes at me, but goes silent. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

This is what I always tell my husband when he starts comparing these contestants to the ones on Naked and Afraid. We argue a lot, haha. He's all, "The people on N&A last 21 days and this guy can't make it a week?" to which I counter, "It's a lot easier when you have a partner". Then he'll say, "Yea, but what about ___, who's partner tapped out early and they did it all on their own?" and then I respond, "Fair enough, but they know all they have to get to is 21 days. Out there, you have no idea how many people are left or when this will be over. It's a whole different kind of mindfuck". And then he just rolls his eyes at me, but goes silent. 

ITA  it has to be So different with a partner and you know when it will end.  

But sometimes for fun I think what if they took 2 N&A 's to VI  after they had been N&A in the jungle for about 10 days,  and gave them everything the Aloners had...They''d be like Clothes!   sleeping bag!  Food ..in a bag?  a tarp!  etc etc.  It would be like Club Med for them!    But of course the real challenge of "Alone" begins.  Alone and no end in sight.  It really drives the point home to me the true challenge of this show.

• Love 5
(edited)

Well, there in N&A the crew is there during the day. I think because of some of the video they may be there at night sometimes as well. And the luck these people have with getting food in their traps just when they need it the most is kind of curious.

But alone is like they feel people will call before they get seriously hurt. Like they don't have to watch them every second

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I have an irrational anger at Roots for fucking up my weekly routine.  

I very much feel like going all Larry about it!!

14 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Fuck Roots!

See...this is why you're my people. 

Motherfuckinggoddamn Roots fucking up my damn Thursday nights, you stupid sonofabitch, I'm going to burn your whole show down!!!!

• Love 12
On June 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM, raven said:

That's me too.  I used to say I'm like the lyrics "when I start to make you nervous and I'm going to extremes, tomorrow I will change and today don't mean a thing" hee. 

Bitch by Meredith Brooks. One of my all-time favorite songs.

• Love 1

David and Randy, maybe?

I wonder if all the stuff implying Randy is quitting is a fakeout though, since it didn't happen at the end of the last show. Maybe he knuckles down and endures a little longer.

40 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Wouldn't commercials count as non-spoilers? Just asking in a public place so that we all get clarification.

It depends on the thread and mod. Each thread is different. Some err on the side of spoiler, because it is just easier that way.  Example: I watch Turn which is based on the REAL American Revolution and they spoiler tag actual history because it can be a "spoiler" for those who don't know what happens historically. lol-because I had no idea!  There were some heated discussions regarding commercials in Survivor (I think), and I do not think that you can talk about the upcoming previews in the regular thread. For myself, once it airs, it is not a spoiler, but others see it differently. Looking forward to this week and would agree that based on the editing, Randy and Dave/Larry are potential next taps. Maybe we will finally get more Jose after someone else taps.

20 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'm new to this show, watched this season (most of it I think) does the last one remaining know right away that they have won or how is that played out......love this show by the way.

No, but they find out pretty fast. Last season we found out that there are periodic checks from medical and visits to deliver recharged batteries for the cameras, etc. So, anyway, after a couple days storm the crew shows up for a check, and Alan (who had won but didn't know it yet) was kind of pissed because they were showing up just as he was about to get out and look for food for the first time in a couple days. He looks up, and lo and behold there's his wife coming in with the crew.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'm new to this show, watched this season (most of it I think) does the last one remaining know right away that they have won or how is that played out......love this show by the way.

They find out a short while after the 2nd to the last person taps. Last year (Season 1), they went to Alan's camp within a certain amount of time (I don't know how long, but it could be a few days) and pretended to be there for the well checks that they do and then they told him that he was done, that he had won. He seemed really surprised and it looked like he thought that they were joking. I think he expected people to last a lot longer. Then when they brought his wife out, that made it very real to him, that they were not joking. Obviously, they may need a few days to get a loved one there and all that. It could depend on the winner, if no one can come, then maybe they go in right away and extract the person. I think this year (season 2) may be a little different, I think several of the participants will go much longer than last year. I cannot remember how many days, but most of this year's people have beat a lot of last year's  participants in length stayed already. I know that when I first heard about the show, I actually thought that the last person ONLY found out that they won when they actually tapped or hit the 1 year mark, but that is not how they are doing it. 

• Love 2

Thanks History Channel for making me wait Two flipping Weeks to see what happens on the next episode,  and then you go ahead and tell me before the show airs in a commercial.  What ---do you stand at the ticket booths at the movies telling everyone the ending?

• Love 3

(shrugs)

Did they say who it happens to or just that it happens? As long as the who is not discussed, I don't care. Actually, I am a spoiler addict so I don't care if I know the who and the what. (grins)

I am aware that different forums have different flavors. The Survivor/Amazing Race have threads for spoilers, speculation, and promo type stuff. It is easy to know where to post what and what to tag. This forum has the one thread to discuss the season so I am not sure what counts as a spoiler here and what doesn't. I am fine with treating information from commercials as a spoiler, I just want to make sure I have a clue as to what the rule is so I don't muck it up.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

(shrugs)

Did they say who it happens to or just that it happens? As long as the who is not discussed, I don't care. Actually, I am a spoiler addict so I don't care if I know the who and the what. (grins)

I agree that if they don't give away major plot points, it's not a spoiler. Simply saying 

Spoiler

two are tapping out

isn't a spoiler IMO :) (of course, I read Reality Steve for my Bachelor fix, so there you go)

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, seasick said:

Thanks History Channel for making me wait Two flipping Weeks to see what happens on the next episode,  and then you go ahead and tell me before the show airs in a commercial.  What ---do you stand at the ticket booths at the movies telling everyone the ending?

Larry, is that you? Just kidding.  Did the promos really give it away? I haven't seen any myself. 

Weelll, it spoiled it for me.  Obviously I would have preferred to wait for the show.   Will they/won't they--is kind of  a big part of what the show is about. YMMV.  I'm sure I'll live

• Love 2
2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

We don't usually see the commercial for Alone, we only switch to history channel when it's Thursday 9PM :)

I am excited on the wolf scene.

1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

I'm scared to death. Seriously. 

I haven't seen the promo yet, so I'm not sure how the wolf/wolves are being presented, but Vancouver Island wolves are pretty shy, elusive creatures. When we first moved here and were doing research into which creatures were most likely to rip us from our beds and eat us alive (outdoorsey folk we were not), we decided in order of abject terror: cougars, bears, sea otters, banana slugs, wolves. 

On the spoiler front, I'm a spoiler junkie, and this is not a show that would be ruined for me by knowing ahead of time that say, David started hallucinating, wandered into the woods, found Larry, thought Larry's swearing was a chicken clucking, and tried to rip his legs off like a drumstick and both had to go home. I'd watch the hell outta that, even knowing it was coming. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night!

• Love 3

The general rule of thumb around Previously.TV for shows is if it's on the tv, it's not a spoiler. If it's on the internet (sneak peeks or special previews), it IS a spoiler. There are a few shows that have exceptions to this (as someone mentioned above, Survivor is one of those - another is Game of Thrones, but let's not speak of that!), and consider previews and tv commercials as spoilers.

That being said, it is thoughtful as a poster in an all episode thread like this to spoiler tag something - but definitely not required, and no one will get in trouble for not spoiler tagging tv promos.

• Love 2