Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Sinister Showdown, Part 2

Well, I guess people got what they wanted....a year long break.  Someone remind me when FO comes back!  That said, what an awesome finale.  I really thought Walter would win, but Rob pulled it out.  Good for him.  So sweet to see all the families there, made me tear up a bit.  I loved all those movies.  I wouldn't have thought the models would be good actors, but I was impressed.  Characters/makeup came together great, congrats to them all.  Going to miss this show.....

• Love 7

Horror is my least favorite but each of these shorts was well done - suspenseful and well acted. The three finalists should be proud of their creations. See everyone in 2017, or Monday for 12 Monkeys.

• Love 4

I thought Walter had the best final characters but Rob had the best season overall so I'm happy with the judges' decision.  I enjoyed seeing the families, especially Rob's parents.  They must have been thrilled beyond words.

I was hoping the next season would start in the fall instead of right away.  2017 seems like a long way off but I'm sure it'll be Christmas before we know it.

• Love 6

Congratulations to all the finalists! They each did excellent work and should be proud of their achievements.

I enjoyed each little horror mini-movie.  The models/actors were excellent and seemed to enjoy themselves. The extra judge was a good addition.

I wasn't sure whether Rob or Walter would win. Both had very good concepts. Walter's had a bit more detail, but Rob's two looks were more cohesive.  More simplistic, maybe; but that was just appearance. It looked simple but it was not. Both also had a good attitude when working with their directors - listened, thought on their feet, worked with them to get what they wanted. Both will do well in industry jobs in the future. Nothing bad to say about Melissa. Her Cyclops-demon was unique and interesting.

The show does need a bit of a break - to find good contestants and to make the viewers miss it and look forward to another good season. Still one of the classiest reality shows out there and well done!

• Love 8

I'm happy Rob won, I've been rooting for him all season. I was thinking even if he didn't win, he's young, talented, and will have a great career ahead of him. I'm sure he's already looking at offers, especially from the judges!

I'm so glad they're giving it more of a break, too. I love the show, but it's been too much with one season right after another. Gives us something to look forward to and a chance to build up the contestant pool.

• Love 7

I thought Walter should have won. I thought his makeups were the most ambitious. I also like his possessed makeup best. I thought Rob's was kind of basic. I like Melissa's better than Rob's, too. I think her demon was the best overall. I liked her cyclops guy.

• Love 9

I'm not a horror fan but it was cool to see the makeups come to life in the short films. My only complaint is that Rob and Melissa's directors kept the big reveal scenes too dark to really see the makeups (and yes, I realize that bright lights are antithesis to horror films).

All three did great work and I would've been happy to see any of them win. But I agree Rob snagged the win likely for his entire body of work more than strictly the finale makeups. Walter's monster was amazing and IMO had the best reveal of the three demons. ALso, it was super cool to see Matt and Megan get a chance to shine - they're both so pretty and talented. And it was a nice change from last year that the judges were on set to see the makeups in person and watch the filming process.

So they've actually been listening about cutting down on the seasons - no Face Off for eight months! I think this will be the longest break since between seasons one and two. I'm sure I'll be missing it by the fall, but it'll make me appreciate it that much more when it comes back. And hopefully the talent pool will be a little deeper next season as well.

It's been fun, everyone - see you all next year!

• Love 3

YAY! Rob won! I was rooting for him. It's nice when the people I want to win actually do win. :-) 

So they've actually been listening about cutting down on the seasons - no Face Off for eight months! I think this will be the longest break since between seasons one and two. 

My DVR cut off so I missed this, but I'm glad to hear it. They were using up qualified contestants too quickly.

Also, Melissa has a husband, color me surprised

• Love 4

I really don't like horror at all, and kind of wish I hadn't seen this episode right before bed, but... oh well!  I just won't move to any long-abandoned houses in the oil fields, or burn creepy dolls.

Walter's demon seemed a little goofy on film. I don't know, in the light the details seemed scarier.  The vines coming out of the possessed makeup were also a little weird to me in that they looked fine when the actor was still, but moved around with the rest of the face when the actor did anything in a way vines would not. Short of fabricating the vines as separate pieces, I'm not sure what could have been done about that, but I wasn't really a fan.  I realize the tight time-frame, and I know they don't cover most nitpicks in the finale, but still.

Melissa's was fine, and the demon was great, but why were the sticks coming out straight up from the possessed dude? Weird.

I would have been happy with any of the three winning, as per usual with Face Off, but Rob was strong all season and so adorably overwhelmed when he won.

• Love 4

I agree that Rob probably won because he was the most consistently good all season (the one time he was off -when Mel was sent packing - his overall record probably saved him there too). It looks like he did get the underdog/winner's edit from last episode (when he thought he was over his head), but I can't disagree with the results. I thought Melissa's possessed victim (with the branches sticking out of his head) wasn't that scary and perhaps because he was overlit, Walter's well-made demon/monster looked more like a gourd man than was intended. Rob's two make-ups (which were re-worked more than the others to the director's specifications) were both "on" target. 

One of the problems I had with the challenge though was that it really was the luck of the draw in which director, with which different vision the 3 were going to get. Different people mesh differently. Last season, even though there were different scripts, Patrick directed each short film. Even a matter as slight as an approach to lighting the make-ups (which is out of the contestants' hands) could make a difference (I guess that was why the judges were there for the shoot).

And yes, it was nice to see the models acting. Makes me hope they do more of that in the future. Matt and Megan looked pretty good. 

So, at least 8 months before next season.. I guess the show got the message and doesn't want almost every contestant in a season to be a newbie make-up school grad again. 

Edited by Mr. Simpatico
  • Love 4

I thought Walter should have won.

I was gobsmacked when he didnt win.

YAY! Rob won! I was rooting for him. It's nice when the people I want to win actually do win. :-) 

My DVR cut off so I missed this, but I'm glad to hear it. They were using up qualified contestants too quickly.

Also, Melissa has a husband, color me surprised

I adored Rob and overall he produced many masterful works this season but the finale just didnt do anything for me. When I saw Melissa had a husband (after she pretty carefully avoided mentioning a husband all season which caused me to think she was on #teamsensiblelesbianboots) I felt my crush get crushed. When all is said and done, she was my favorite for this season.

• Love 1

Yay Rob! I thought they did a reasonable job of hiding who was the obvious winner. I did think that his makeups were a cut above. Walter's was huge, but in action, it seemed awkward, and other than the weird cyclops eye, Melissa's was unmemorable. I think Rob also had an advantage in that his director was better and had a better idea - using the oil wells and having the oil coming out of the mouths. I think Rob added having it come out of the eyes as well and that worked extremely well on camera. Rob's film was the only one that seemed like it could actually be the prologue to a real movie. It's a typical horror movie setup to show the set-up of events in the past, and then cut to the modern-day arrival of a new family, or gaggle of clueless teens. Overall, it was a good season and I'm happy with the winner.

By the way, do we know if what-her-name, host girl, is pregnant? She did seem to get to sit down a lot more this season. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2

I thought Rob's makeup was most successful because his was most clearly a demon and possession makeup. The other two possession makeups just looked like people who got attacked and invaded by the demons but not actually possessed by them. I also thought the way he built up the shoulders and chest for his demon with that tiny tiny waist... for a few seconds it looked like CGI to me (in a really good way) because humans are not built like that. The other two demons still retained general human shape. Everyone's stuff was really great. I enjoyed the movies was bummed and irritated we only saw the demons on screen for a couple seconds each. I would've liked more lingering shots or something so we could see them better. I'll miss Face-Off but glad they are taking a break!

• Love 1
And it was a nice change from last year that the judges were on set to see the makeups in person and watch the filming process.

It was done the same way last season (S9) -- no change. The judges were waiting to see the makeups when each team got off their van at the filming location and then observed filming from a nearby tent as it happened.

Also, Melissa has a husband, color me surprised

Thank you for not making me be the first one to say anything about Melissa's husband. I knew she had a child but I just assumed she had a lovely wife at home. Whatever, cute family.

I'm glad Rob won, I liked his makeups the best. Plus he rocked all season.

I wasn't all that impressed with Walter's demon and I hated his possessed pumpkin character. I'm happy that Megan got to act though.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 1

I was dismayed to see that Rob had parents, because I was planning to adopt him. OK, kidding, but honestly, I found him so completely endearing all season. I was glad he won. I did like his possessed victim the best; I thought it had a tad more thoughtfulness in it than the other victims in that it really matched the demon. I wasn't nuts about Rob's demon, but I feel he did bring to life the director's vision. 

Yes, Walter's demon was detailed and over the top. However, I think in a movie like that, maybe a simpler design would register better and easier for the viewer.

I did appreciate that Melissa took the director's concept and made it better. I think an average cyclops would have cheapened the image somewhat.

All in all, these final three were all talented and lovely people. And kudos to the models! They let themselves be covered in foam and paint and goo from head to toe and always give their all to make these characters come to life. I don't know that I would be so happy having someone load up my mouth with whatever that gross black stuff was for another take.

• Love 3
whatever that gross black stuff was

Pretty sure almost all the "black stuff" (which if you look closely under better light was actually brown) is just chocolate syrup which might be gross, whatever floats (or sinks) you boat.

I'm glad Robb won!

They didn't have flashlights in the 20s....or did they, lol

the flashlight was invented in 1898

• Love 1

I'm glad Robb won!

They didn't have flashlights in the 20s....or did they, lol

I'm glad Rob won, too! Thought his was the best, and he certainly had the strongest season.  

You got me curious about flashlights. Looks like they were invented in 1898 or 1899, and became practical and popular in the 1920s. (googled flashlight invented and ended up with the wikipedia page for history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

Pretty sure almost all the "black stuff" (which if you look closely under better light was actually brown) is just chocolate syrup which might be gross, whatever floats (or sinks) you boat.

the flashlight was invented in 1898

I'm glad Rob won, too! Thought his was the best, and he certainly had the strongest season.  

You got me curious about flashlights. Looks like they were invented in 1898 or 1899, and became practical and popular in the 1920s. (googled flashlight invented and ended up with the wikipedia page for history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight

Thank you for the info on the flashlight!

• Love 1

I was really pleased by the results.  I was obviously rooting for Rob, but I had resigned myself to a Walter victory.  But honestly, while Walter's demon was really cool, and even though Megan was acting the hell out of it, I really didn't like the possessed makeup at all.  Melissa's demon was also cool, but her possessed makeup wasn't any better.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I actually kind of liked the short films.  Actual storylines worked a lot better than the kind of random collections of scenes we saw on the previous season.  They were all kind of basic, but the variations that the directors put on what's more or less the same script was pretty interesting.  And Rob's director seemed to have had a personality transplant, too.  Maybe someone from Face Off took him aside and told him he's not Cecil B DeMille.  

• Love 2

By the way, do we know if what-her-name, host girl, is pregnant? She did seem to get to sit down a lot more this season. 

MacKenzie. Rumor has it she has a bad back. Those heels she always wears would be torture devices for someone with a bad back.

I actually liked Rob's characters the best. After last week I wasn't expecting that. His were genuinely scary -- not just kinda gross looking. Also, when Walter's demon jumped up in the barn, it looked to us that his waist came apart ... like it gapped awkwardly and not the way it was intended.

If McKenzie has a back problem just take her out of those stupid heels. There is no reason on this show she needs to be dressed up that much with the heels and the tight dresses. This is a pretty down to Earth show. I always felt she was oddly overdone. Put her in jeans and sneakers. She'll still be stunning because she's a beautiful woman. She doesn't need the tight clothes and heels to look hot, nor does she even need to look hot. This show is about monster makeup not the Oscars.

I didn't like Rob's final looks at all but he did so well all season that I am okay with his win. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Melissa's. I wasn't feeling it last ep but I thought it was really strong. Walters was amazing. I love that the finale three were all strong and no one made it on personality or ability to bring drama.

The movies were kind of terrible but I didn't expect much.

• Love 2

The movies were kind of terrible but I didn't expect much.

Word. I was totally bored by the finale, it was quite a letdown. I don't care for horror and I much prefer it when the last challenge pushes the finalists way out of their comfort zone. All these contestants live, eat, sleep and breathe horror. Don't serve it up to them for the finale! I really wish they would give them the challenge the judges had in their special, chess pieces.

I'm glad Rob won, he's been the most consistent throughout the season, and there were many episodes where he had the only makeup that I thought was decent. But I really liked Walter's demon better. (From what I could see in those dark interior shots.)

Did anyone else think that all the demons looked like they were wearing pantaloons? Or is it just me?

I've complained as much as anyone about the lack of quality contestants the last few seasons, but I find I'm sadly bereft that it will be more than 8 months before there's another season. And I certainly hope when it comes back they put it back on Tuesday, where it fucking belongs!

See y'all next year, I guess.

• Love 1

I'm happy for Rob.

I was tickled that the finalists got to see their loved ones in person instead of via laptop. I bet that was a nice surprise for them.

Dear McKenzie: FFS stop ruining your feet and back, and find yourself some cute, sensible shoes and duds! At my house it's a running joke that someone always says, "Oh looook, McKenzie's wearing a skintight metallic minidress this week!" Time to change up your look, sugar.

I enjoyed seeing the contestants work with the directors, but I thought they should have just filmed a couple-three scenes each instead of those godawful awkward "short films." As an example, I haven't been able stop giggling over the scene where a woman is scrolling through newspaper stories and pauses for the headline "Evicted Woman Places Curse on Foreclosed House." That's . . . not how newspapers work? Or maybe they have their own brand of journalism over at the old Exposition Times-Herald.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 2

I'm happy for Rob.

I was tickled that the finalists got to see their loved ones in person instead of via laptop. I bet that was a nice surprise for them.

Dear McKenzie: FFS stop ruining your feet and back, and find yourself some cute, sensible shoes and duds! At my house it's a running joke that someone always says, "Oh looook, McKenzie's wearing a skintight metallic minidress this week!" Time to change up your look, sugar.

I enjoyed seeing the contestants work with the directors, but I thought they should have just filmed a couple-three scenes each instead of those godawful awkward "short films." As an example, I haven't been able stop giggling over the scene where a woman is scrolling through newspaper stories and pauses for the headline "Evicted Woman Places Curse on Foreclosed House." That's . . . not how newspapers work? Or maybe they have their own brand of journalusm over at the old Exposition Times-Herald.

I had the same reaction. I'm old enough that I remember the microfiche, and that IS how microfiches worked (not the touchscreen, but the scrolling action). Newspapers? Not so much!

Actually, when I said "That's not how newspapers work," i was just joking (poorly) that no newspaper ever would have a ridiculous headline like that. :-)

Edited by Portia
  • Love 1

I thought it was funny that Rob won and, I thought, had the best movie as well. If I hadn't seen all of the work going into the possessed woman's make-up I think I would have expected the possessee to be the guy because of the way the character was so obsessed. I'm sorry that they messed with the girl's line in post-production. I thought the whispered "you're not supposed to be here was a lot creepier than the demon voice. Walter's movie wasn't great. Not enough plot, but I did think the ending was interesting as a prequel to a longer movie. Pumpkin demon was more monster than demon, but I never thought it was as great as Walter did from the concept sketch to the finished product. I liked Melissa's demon, but both it and the possessed make-up looked scarier off-stage than on. Her movie was ok, but I think the director tried to shove a longer story into three minutes so the plot didn't exactly make sense. It did try to have more of a scary build-up than the other two, which I liked. 

One thing I always get a kick of is watching the models in the make-up chair and off stage. It's kind of awesome to see these horrible creatures blow-drying themselves and hugging and fist-bumping. If you had kids who are scared of monsters or horror movies this show would be a good way to prove it really is "just pretend".

Mixed feelings about waiting 'till 2017. I will miss this very classy show, but I survived Droughtlander and as others have said, hopefully a longer hiatus will keep the talent pool from running dry.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2016 at 0:07 AM, iscoffy said:

Walter's demon seemed a little goofy on film. I don't know, in the light the details seemed scarier.  The vines coming out of the possessed makeup were also a little weird to me in that they looked fine when the actor was still, but moved around with the rest of the face when the actor did anything in a way vines would not. Short of fabricating the vines as separate pieces, I'm not sure what could have been done about that, but I wasn't really a fan.  I realize the tight time-frame, and I know they don't cover most nitpicks in the finale, but still.

I agree. I thought Walter's demon looked cheesy, and I didn't think his possessed makeup looked good at all. It just seemed really fake to me.

• Love 1

Late to the party because I was busy when it was on and just had to binge-watch the entire season.

I didn't like Walter's demon and his possessed girl looked terribly cheesy, like a vine was just put on her face and that was it. Yeah I said it.

Melissa's was pretty good.

Rob won and I'm so happy! His possessed girl was definitely the creepiest thing out of all of them. The demon was okay, but then again all the demons were just okay.

And yes, Mackenzie does have a bad back, she's mentioned it on Twitter so that's why she's sitting down. Seriously ladies, flats. They're cute and good for you. :)

See you next season!

I realize that I am digging up an old, old thread...We are HUGE followers of Blumhouse Productions in our household. We're also big horror movie enthusiasts and that studio has produced literally some of the biggest names in horror in the past 5 years. They only thing they DON'T have their hands in is the Conjuring multiverse. (Side note: a producer contacted me about one of my books and paid me money to develop it into a screenplay for Blumhouse. Seems they wanted a true haunting to compete with the Conjuring so, yeah, they must've noticed that they were missing out on that, too.) My son is 11 and he actually wrote a paper on Mr. Blum last year for school as someone he admired. Sinister, Insidious, The Purge, Get Out, Happy Death Day, Truth or Dare, etc. We are big Face Off fans but somehow missed this season so we binged it today. I am cracking up at the comments from the last episode because people don't know who Blum is. Coming at it NOW, that seems crazy to me, but if I'd watched it with the rest of you all 2 years ago I am sure that I would feel the exact same way. I can't believe how quickly that production company took off...In the long run, the fact that these makeup artists were able to do this in front of Blum was probably the bigger prize. That $100,000 can go fast but catching the eye of a major producer...I've always looked at this show as one big job interview. Even if you don't win, you might still network enough to find work. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1