Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: Live Playoffs, Results

• Start Topic

I prefer them going into the lives with more people because the steals make the battles/knockouts more entertaining. This is usually where I stop watching though. I like the 1 vs 1 battles a lot more than 24 singing hamsters. And it's usually clear who is going to win: Alisan, obviously. With probably Shalyah behind her.

I do like Leith but I like him in a "I'll turn on the TV and enjoy the performance" not "I'll head over to iTunes and listen more than once." I think my one exception is that I do still love and play Midas Whale's Folsom Prison.

• Love 3

Hilarious that Pharrell and Christina randomly picking up each other's rejects led to both making it through via viewers' choice.

At least people can't say the bring back is pointless, I suppose.

iTunes this week correctly predicted Pharrell, Christina, and Adam's teams. 

For Blake, Adam was a clear first and got in. Katie/Joe/Mary were pretty close and Mary had done better in previous weeks, so not that weird. Paxton is the wild card...

Edited by jjjmoss

I think everyone put through were the top three I tunes except Mary Sara , she must have taken Katie B's spot. Which bears the question, do the judges pick the 3rd highest vote getter or who they really want to go through?

Edited by Diana Berry

I do like Leith but I like him in a "I'll turn on the TV and enjoy the performance" not "I'll head over to iTunes and listen more than once." I think my one exception is that I do still love and play Midas Whale's Folsom Prison.

And I'm the opposite. I'll gladly spend $ on a CD or concert of Laith's.

• Love 2

I think everyone put through were the top three I tunes except Mary Sara , she must have taken Katie B's spot. Which bears the question, do the judges pick the 3rd highest vote getter or who they really want to go through?

No, Paxton is #945 on iTunes.

• Love 1

I was not happy or expecting Nick to get through.(was it because of his cute kid?) I would have liked Kada make it through. Christina was right to pick Bryan.

Did anyone feel like Christina looked like she would not rather have Nick go through? She just seemed like she had a face of "oh crap,I was expecting Nick to be the one I could be alright with letting go." I bet she would have liked to have kept Kada.

ETD- I see you might agree with me Mockingbird!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 5

I thought Christina was pissed that Nick went through. He was awful and that clearly backfired in her face. Imo the talent level of her team decreased with that pick.

I voted for all of Pharrels. I'm disappointed that Adam didn't choose Brian. I liked that kid. Owen is a snore.

• Love 3

I was not happy or expecting Nick to get through.(was it because of his cute kid?) I would have liked Kada make it through. Christina was right to pick Bryan.

Did anyone feel like Christina looked like she would not rather have Nick go through? She just seemed like she had a face of "oh crap,I was expecting Nick to be the one I could be alright with letting go." I bet she would have liked to have kept Kada.

ETD- I see you might agree with me Mockingbird!

You weren't imagining it, Valny. I missed Monday night, so I didn't see Nick's performance, but Christina definitely wasn't pleased tonight. 

• Love 2

First Donald Trump, then Mary Sarah, then Nick.  I have to wonder what the 'H' American is thinking.

But then my faith was restored when America voted in Laith (almost, still holding out hope that The Hairpiece will be silenced).  I jumped up shouting and clapping.  I think Adam was very shocked.  He even said "I was not expecting..."  Talent still has a say!

I'm just thankful that Pharrell didn't put through Lacey, though Blake choosing Paxton over Joe did surprise me.

• Love 5

PST here. So Team Blake was Adam, Paxton and Mary Sarah? Mary Sarah I thought Blake might save over Katie B or Joe (both whom I would have preferred), but I'm surprised Paxton (whom I also like better than Mary Sarah) made it.  Actually, much as I liked Joe, I'm kind of glad Blake chose Paxton.

Mary Sarah isn't horrible, but since she's staying, I just wish she'd choose a different kind of song going forward. Maybe Patsy Cline or Hank Williams would give her a little less chirpy-ness and, even though still "vintage" country, seem a bit more emotionally relevant. JMO, probably based a lot on hating both melody and lyrics of "...Rose Garden".

Team Adam has no fodder for me--I like them all. For Blake, it would be Mary Sarah, then Paxton. For Xtina it would be Nick. And Pharrell--Daniel. And I prefer Emily over Hannah, but I couldn't object, talent-wise, if Emily was voted out first.

That would leave my Top 8 as Laith, Owen, Shaliyah, Adam, Alisan, Emily, Bryan and Hannah. If America voted that way, it would be a month before anyone I really like would have to leave (assuming they don't get rid of more than one a week.) I'd be fine with that. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

I was OK with most of the results tonight, except don't care about Pharrell's team, but here's what I was not OK with: Showing the clip of Blake saying to Joe in surprise, "you could really win this thing!" after his performance on Monday, and then not saving himtonight when he had the chance. Naively I'd like to believe that this isn't producer driven, because if it is, showing that clip was unconscionable. That particular hyperbole from any coach is just too much.

• Love 2

I think Adam's reaction was directly related to Laith getting in there over Owen. Pretty sure Adam was all set to pick Caroline for the growth arc and cuteness factor over Laith, but since Owen is his true musical soulmate this season he absolutely couldn't let him go.

Whichever genius decided that a second go round of the coach's comeback was a good idea (after it utterly made zero impact last season), should get fired. The top 12 just got two extraordinarily wimpy white guys to round it out. Christina was seriously not happy....she wanted to use her save on Ryan (or maybe Kata) but certainly not Bryan. I have limited faith in Pharrell, but I choose to believe he wouldn't have wasted a save on Daniel either. He would've went with the more musically interesting/intriguing options of Caity or Moushumi.

America picking Mary Sarah and Blake picking Paxton.....well at least in a couple singers' cases Itunes rankings did not matter. 945th ranked to be exact in Paxton's case. Clearly Mary Sarah and Adam were his favorites, so he had to be relieved that they got the votes.

Hey Brother always struck me as a pretty good song for one of these 5 or 6 person team performances. Pleasantly surprised that Team Blake pulled off the harmonies. I liked Team Pharrell starting in the round too.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

I'm just thankful that Pharrell didn't put through Lacey, though Blake choosing Paxton over Joe did surprise me.

Once Mary Sarah was announced, I knew Blake would go with Paxton. His two favored country singers were in. He wouldn't want to add Katie or Justin to split the vote any more. That meant Joe or Paxton, and as impressed as he might have been with Joe, he likes Paxton and has had him from the start. He knows that third spot is cannon fodder rather than the winner anyways. He's going to reward the guy who picked him and that he feels closest to.

I'm really happy with the way Adam's team shook out. Xtina's? I'm just going to ignore Nick as much as possible.

• Love 4

simplyme, the more I think about Blake's choice of Paxton the more it makes sense.

Katie absolutely would've been a threat to siphon votes away from his chosen country blonde this go round. Also, Blake has had almost zero use for his steals other than to pair them up against each other in the KO round. I racked my brain and couldn't think of one time when he's used a save on a steal at this stage of the competition. Maybe Jessie Pitts from a few season back, but I'm not quite sure that's right...

• Love 2

I tuned into The Voice and ended up watching the musical adaptation of Game of Thrones's Red Wedding, especially Christina's team (whose team ironically wore red). Talk about a "Group of Death" for Team XTina.

Joe had a sensational night, but Blake chose Paxton? He'll be in the Twitter sing off next week along with Nick. Speaking of Nick, did anyone see him going further than Tamar or Ryan? I certainly did not. Heck, Owen not being "saved by America"? Mary Sarah (Gross) going through in spite of two lackluster performances in a row? What is wrong with this picture?

Nice to see Javier Colon is alive and kicking. I would've liked to have heard him sing over St. Jordan Smith.

• Love 8

I tuned into The Voice and ended up watching the musical adaptation of Game of Thrones's Red Wedding

Ha!

Mary Sarah (Gross) going through in spite of two lackluster performances in a row? What is wrong with this picture?

Well, Blake didn't exactly hide the fact that he was on the Mary Sarah wagon, and traditionally the show has a country voting bloc that votes through two to three country singers. Regarding that country bloc, Katie may have been hindered in the voting by not starting out on Blake's team and not singing pure country.

It's also possible that Boot Barn is heavily encouraging all its employees to vote for Mary Sarah. :P

I actually really loved Paxton until Monday night's performance. The song was just meh and I honestly wasn't that impressed with his dancing skills, especially since he's a DANCER. I'm just bitter Blake didn't choose Joe. And Joe looked so crestfallen. I was devastated FOR him. While I think Paxton would have been okay with going.

So Nick. I predicted there was NO way he would go further. I can't believe America voted him through. He must have a strong voting bloc that is pulling out all the stops for him. Sad to think he may go further than he should because of that. I think his kid's a miracle story and all kinds of cute, but Nick just does not belong in that final 12. I'm not as upset over Daniel P going through because Pharrell's team is my least favourite this year. I started out really liking Hannah, but I've cooled off on her.

Was sad to see Brian Nhira go. Shalyah! Enough said. I like both Laith and Owen a lot, but they don't have enough reality competition show appeal to take them to the end.

I think the biggest crock is Mary Sarah going through on votes. I figured Blake would use his save for her, but I still cannot believe she was VOTED forward. That last performance was terrible. Also, I'm over her and Blake's classic country/hillbilly! shtick. Joe should have been voted through and Blake STILL should have saved Paxton.

At this point, I'm pretty sure Alisan is going to win and I guess I'm okay with that. I'd love to see Shalyah take it, even if she is on Adam's team.

Re: Jordan's performance tonight. Did that song sound familiar to anyone else? I kept thinking it sounded like something I've heard before. That was bugging me the entire time. Or is it a cover I'm not familiar enough to know but have heard enough to recognize? Regardless, Jordan bored me last season and he bores me still.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

IMHO, Christina is the one who totally dropped the ball wth Joe. He was one of my favorites and I would have loved to watch him more, but can't really blame Blake.

In the blinds, Adam, Pharrell, and Blake turned for Paxton and he chose Blake. He and Blake had a great rapport. In the blinds, Christina and Blake turned for Joe. Christina sang an incredible duet with him; he chose her; then she jettisons him over Kata (sp?).

Edited by InfiniteMystery
  • Love 5

I'm also sad that Joe didn't get through. Although I've liked Paxton from the beginning, I think his extroverted, energetic personality would find it easier to "make things happen" for himself career-wise over Joe. Plus, after what Blake said on Monday (which I'd forgotten), it must have hurt to see him choose someone else--as if he really hadn't meant it at all. Joe brought something different to Team Blake. I'm sorry to see him go (and Mary Sarah stay.)  but I -do- understand it, per the above post, if Blake felt some loyalty to the guy who chose Blake, the country guy, from the beginning over the other pros who had turned for him in the blinds. Kind of like, "I chose you, you chose me first, that's special." 

I enjoyed all of the group sings, including seeing some of the ones I wasn't sure could sing with a group, doing very well (Kata, Shaliyah, Lacy). Not sure what happened with Adam's team on the choruses. They seemed so much better with their solos. Maybe since they weren't doing harmony they just couldn't find a key that worked for everyone?  I was interested to see that Shaliyah still had poise and maturity with the song when working with the group. I think she may give Alisan a run for F1.  Laith was kind of cool mostly doing the guitar so his style wouldn't overwhelm everyone else's. 

The other groups were enjoyable, as well. I actually really enjoyed "Stars" the way Xtina's team did it.  And great to see Javier Colon.  I wish the show would bring back every winner for a solo in future seasons, at this point, especially the early ones. Javier's releasing the new single so soon--I'd have enjoyed hearing it.

Nice they gave solo time to Jordan. His song seemed to be crying out for a Disney animated movie to become part of, though, meaning it wasn't bad, but it wasn't an instant classic either. He sung it well, of course.

A good, entertaining hour with no big disappointments, even though I kept waiting for Blake to do as was suggested here--a tribute to Merle Haggard. Maybe next week.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 4

I thought Christina was pissed that Nick went through. He was awful and that clearly backfired in her face. Imo the talent level of her team decreased with that pick.

Yeah, the whole accepted wisdom that Christina had a blockbuster team just went out the window. I was glad when Nick was originally cut. He was slightly better in his comeback performance, but not much. Funny, a little voice in my head said that the shots of the cute family were going to get him an undeserved spot in the Top 12. That seems to happen for at least one person each year.

Huge surprise to me that Daniel is also going through, as I don't seem anything appealing about him or his singing. Is there some voter demographic favoring male singers? Nick and Daniel are in the Top 12 over several more talented female singers.

I would've saved Joe over Paxton. Owen getting saved by Adam was a no brainer. If Owen had gotten voted in, I really wonder whether Adam would've saved Caroline or Laith.

Why were all the songs for the group sings so sad and downbeat? Couldn't we get at least one fun, upbeat number? You know, because this is supposed to be an entertainment program?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

A disappointing night, but part for the course once America starts voting. This time I strongly disagreed with America’s second choice on all four teams. Particularly outrageous was that Nick Hagelin (he of the weak chest voice and overly used scratchy falsetto) got more votes than Bryan, Ryan and even Kata. If it hadn’t been apparent before, it was certainly quite obvious during the group song that Nick was by far the weakest vocalist on Team X-Tina. 

I wasn't that surprised that Mary Sarah and Daniel got voted in, though I didn't think either one deserved it.  Laith was a surprise, as I had figured that Owen had the second spot on that team all sewn up.  Maybe he's getting the Nicholas David vote.  The only problem is that he isn't half the vocalist that Nicholas was.  I'm no big Caroline fan, but I would honestly have been more interested in seeing her go on.  Laith has already shown us what he can do, while Caroline was showing a considerable growth arc and gave her best performance yet this week.

I did agree with the choices made by the coaches for their third team member, with the possible exception of Paxton. I would have preferred Joe, but I do sort of get where Blake was coming from.  Paxton brings the entertainment, which is sorely needed when we have so many bland singers in the Top 12.  Unfortunately, I also think he's one of the top candidates to get eliminated in the next couple of weeks.

Finally, I’d give the prize for best group performance to Team Pharrell. They pulled off some really nice harmonies and each of the 6 singers held their own.  They effectively demonstrated that given the right song, they were all better than what we saw Tuesday night.  The other groups songs were pretty good as well, with the exception of Team Adam.  That was a mess.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

Just conjecture but it seems each judge has a single artist they are posturing for the win by surrounding that person with others who don't stand a chance.

Pharrell - Hannah
Daniel and Emily = fodder

Christina - Alisan or Bryan
Nick = fodder

Blake - Adam
Mary and Paxton = Fodder

Adam - Owen or Shalyah
Laith = fodder

The only team with comparable rivals is Christina's - I could see Alison and Bryan going head-to-head.

• Love 1

Last night it struck me that I like everyone on Adam`s team. I will miss Brian but Owen is such a great choice he does make covers his own. I actually like Daniel, his voice is smooth as butter. Christina was definitely reacting viscerally to Nick going through, he`s just such a weak singer. 

I knew Pharrell would pick UnicornEmily to go through, she is different just didn`t care for her and that Paul Simon song.

Mary Sara going over Katie bugs me, Katie sounds like TY and her voice is more pleasant. Of course matter of taste. At least Laci is gone thank god

• Love 1

Re: Jordan's performance tonight. Did that song sound familiar to anyone else? I kept thinking it sounded like something I've heard before. That was bugging me the entire time. Or is it a cover I'm not familiar enough to know but have heard enough to recognize? Regardless, Jordan bored me last season and he bores me still.

I thought it borrowed heavily from "What If God Was One Of Us?" especially the chorus. I walked into the kitchen while Jordan was on because I had never much cared for his voice or his performing, but I still faintly heard the TV. And that's what I started humming as I loaded the dishwasher.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 1

Another season where we have more talented women and end up with almost all men going into lives. This is beyond annoying now.

You know Christina was irritated that she was stuck taking Nick to the lives.

I was really sad to see Katie go from Blake's team and would have preferred Kata or Tamar over Nick from Christina's team.

• Love 2

Just conjecture but it seems each judge has a single artist they are posturing for the win by surrounding that person with others who don't stand a chance.

Pharrell - Hannah

Daniel and Emily = fodder

Christina - Alisan or Bryan

Nick = fodder

Blake - Adam

Mary and Paxton = Fodder

Adam - Owen or Shalyah

Laith = fodder

The only team with comparable rivals is Christina's - I could see Alison and Bryan going head-to-head.

No, the only purposeful fodder is Paxton. I doubt Daniel and Nick were expected to go forward. Adam didn't choose Laith to go forward last night. Blake loves Mary Sarah, who had the 2nd bestselling audition out of everyone and in theory could reverse her Sarah Simmons-esque path. Pharrell loves Emily, who did way better than her teammates who were just booted in sales.

• Love 2

Another season where we have more talented women and end up with almost all men going into lives. This is beyond annoying now.

Definitely Nick bumped a better female singer on Christina's team, but it's 7:5, men:women, which isn't really that skewed.

Plus, it seems likely that for the next few weeks, one of the relatively weaker men (Paxton, Nick, Daniel, maybe Laith or Bryan) would be more likely voted off than Alisan, Mary Sarah, Shaliyah, or Hannah (I'm a big Emily fan, but, of the women, I could see her going first). Assuming it plays out that way, it's not really so bad, especially since in their singing style and song taste, the men are bringing more variety to their performances than three of  the women (Hannah, Shaliyah and Alisan) who are quite similar to me.

• Love 1

None of the public saves were really that surprising based on itunes.  The top seller on each team were voted through by the public, and then the second public saves were either the #2 seller or close enough where the results weren't really a surprise.  

Anyway, I would guess that Christina and Adam didn't get their ideal top 3 advancing given their mixed reactions to the results (these two really don't have good poker faces, unlike say Blake), but whatever.  Everyone is entitled to his/her own preferences.  It's about what these coaches do moving forward, and I think they all try to help their team members the best they can.  

I figured Nick would go through based on ITunes.  I don't know why people bought his song but I guess that's their choice.  I would have preferred Ryan or Tamar.  I only liked Kata during the knockouts.  In that case, I did think she beat Joe.

I also think Blake should have chosen Joe over Paxton.  I only liked Paxton during the battle rounds.

I like Mary Sarah and Emily in the blinds but not anymore.  I wanted Emily to sing an Evanescence song since she had a haunting sound during her blind audition.  However, that's not her style.  Both these women are young but they like old songs.

Edited by realdancemom

Now that Idol is gone (at least for the short term) they should extend the season a couple weeks by making the cuts less drastic.  I think one of the reason the Voice's artists have done more poorly than Idol's is because the show moves too fast and although I'm sure they are worried about viewer burnout... it's not like they have something better to screen and it would give more time to build up the artists popularity.

Edited by Sentient Meat
  • Love 4

If Christina didn't want her bring-back artist to get votes, she should have chosen someone she would have been happier with instead of fodder.

Maybe Nick was the best out of the pool from which Christina had to choose.  Doesn't mean she has to be happy when her comeback artist advances over her existing team.  

• Love 1

I really was surprised by how well Nick did, not simply because I don't like his singing but because I really can't identify who was voting for Nick and buying that version of "Stay." Not the country voting bloc. Not what I think of as the show's usual demographic, which is apparently my father. (SimplyDad doesn't watch, but does opine occasionally as he wanders through. Using him to predict voting works pretty well. SimplyMom and I refer to him as The Common Man, and he detested Nick. He calls him "that whiny one.") His son is admittedly adorable, but that seems like a lot of votes based on kid cuteness.

Part of the fun of the Voice for me is trying to predict who will make it through and then thinking about the results afterwards. (Apparently it's not just a singing show to me. I'm such a geek.) In this case, I could use more info.

• Love 3

A) It's a good way to lower the ratings.

B) They don't care about having hit artists. 

re A: It might but that's why I specifically mentioned that since Idol is gone... it might not be a bad time to try it.  Especially during the summer... it's not like people have anything better to watch.

re B:  Maybe, they might regret that position (if true) should Idol actually pull their head out of their asses and reboot their show properly.

Definitely Nick bumped a better female singer on Christina's team, but it's 7:5, men:women, which isn't really that skewed.

Plus, it seems likely that for the next few weeks, one of the relatively weaker men (Paxton, Nick, Daniel, maybe Laith or Bryan) would be more likely voted off than Alisan, Mary Sarah, Shaliyah, or Hannah (I'm a big Emily fan, but, of the women, I could see her going first). Assuming it plays out that way, it's not really so bad, especially since in their singing style and song taste, the men are bringing more variety to their performances than three of  the women (Hannah, Shaliyah and Alisan) who are quite similar to me.

I sure hope you are correct that several of these unexceptional men go before any of the remaining women (though I wouldn't include Bryan among that group).

But I don't find much in common between Hannah, Shaliyah and Alisan other than the fact that they all have some power in their vocals.  Shaliyah seems to be very much on the diva track, while this week proved that Hannah is not comfortable with those types of songs.  Judging by the songs she has picked for herself and on which she excelled, Hannah does much better with edgier stuff that have a lot more grit to them.  In contrast to the two younger women, Alisan seems capable of covering a much broader range of genres (as she proved by going from Mamas & Papas to Joni Mitchell to Janis Joplin).  The only remaining question I have about Alisan is if she can do equally well on more current songs.

• Love 4

Live shows always kill ratings a bit. Having more live shows makes no sense. 

Summer already has America's Got Talent, which is still a hit and has a large number of singers.

They didn't care about hit artists when Idol was on. If Idol comes back, how would that make Voice producers care about hit artists any more than before? The last Idol contestant to either have 3 hit songs or 2 half-mil-selling albums in the US is Jordin 9 years ago...X Factor contestants Fifth Harmony just got a third hit, but I doubt NBC execs are jealous of X Factor's success.

Why would they feel the need to compete in terms of a far, far more difficult moneymaking scheme than advertising money for the show? I don't understand the logic of your arguments, only that it's something you personally want.

Edited by jjjmoss

Gotta say I'm surprised Laith got voted through. It's pretty cool to see that the public appreciates what he has to offer. He represents the every man bar gig with great talent that never reaches the next level. Good for him. He did an awesome job on Tuesday and deserves his spot. Would be nice if Caroline and Katie could some how snatch up nick and Daniel's spots as neither of them deserve to be there. Not that any of this will matter after Alison wins and we never hear from any of them ever again aside from guest spots on future seasons.

• Love 1

If anyone else wondered, it seems the PLANTs on Pharrell's hats were short for Cactus Plant Flea Market, a streetwear label he is associated with. I'm not sure if I found the obscure reference more or less irritating than that cardigan that made him look like an animated gingerbread man.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 4

I love Laith.  But I also love that the fans stuck it to Adam.  On the performance night, he damned Laith with faint praise making it clear he didn't want him to go through... and then his face and reaction when Laith went through.  Love it!

• Love 3

Owen getting saved by Adam was a no brainer. If Owen had gotten voted in, I really wonder whether Adam would've saved Caroline or Laith.

My thought is that he would have saved either Caroline or Brian.  When Laith was announced as having been voted through, Adam had the world's biggest WTF look on his face and he was clearly flummoxed in those last moments, especially since they were running late. 

If he had been planning on picking Laith for the save, it wouldn't have really been a big issue because he'd still have the same three.  

• Love 1