Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the series has been written and taped probably six to eight months in advance, so Amanda is probably still around.

I think they're referring to next season (which hasn't been filmed yet) as opposed to the one remaining episode of this season.

Geordie didn't look too phased after Sidney beat him up. He was just sorta like, "Uh, Sidney...you can stop now," rather non-chalantly.

You think? To me he sounded really broken when he said Sydney's name.

I think the series has been written and taped probably six to eight months in advance, so Amanda is probably still around.

I realize that...but since a 3rd season apparently has been authorized...it was a suggestion for that season.

You think? To me he sounded really broken when he said Sydney's name.

I thought so, too.  It sounded like a whimper to me.

A very dark episode, but I actually enjoyed it, particularly the parts involving Gary.  I thought it was very well done, and liked (so to speak) how gutted Sydney was to witness the hanging, and I was in tears when the two mothers held hands.  I do hope, though, that this is the darkest part before the dawn, and next episode relationships will start to heal.  Although I suppose it makes more sense if that's the point of series 3.

• Love 4

I'n actually glad that there's only one episode left this season.

This show has such a different feel to it than last season. Like seriously, go watch one of the episodes from season 1 and then compare it to any of this season's.

I'm also tired of the way Sidney has treated Mrs. M and Leonard this season. Like, seriously, they try to start a conversation with him and two sentences in he has an "ah-hah!" Moment about the case, dashes away, and leaves them hanging. I miss how much closer they seemed in season 1. :(

Actually it reminds me of The Closer.

Thank you, Sonja and Nara re: photographer. I thought I was suppose to

recognize him. Thank you for pointing out who he is.

As difficult as the execution was to watch I've seen worse in Inspector

George Gently (and oh how I wish we had a thread for that show as it's

outstanding & I'd much rather watch that than Grantchester) when they

were in the 60's before the change in the law. The hangings on Gently

were agonizing even when the hangee was unlikeable.

• Love 3

Besides, I suck at crime-solving.  I was sure this one would have a different result, that the man died because of a health issue (not poison).  Even the dead rat and the poison powder on the floor didn't clue me in. 

If that helps, I figured he was poisoned because of the stain the floor but didn't manage to connect the dead rats. 'Rat-Ex' cracked me up though, that's a very to the point brandname right there.

Thank you, Sonja and Nara re: photographer. I thought I was suppose to

recognize him. Thank you for pointing out who he is.

As difficult as the execution was to watch I've seen worse in Inspector

George Gently (and oh how I wish we had a thread for that show as it's

outstanding & I'd much rather watch that than Grantchester) when they

were in the 60's before the change in the law. The hangings on Gently

were agonizing even when the hangee was unlikeable.

I was wondering if they made Gary likable to make the viewers care more. There's a deleted scene

that could have changed the perception slightly if the extreme situation isn't taken into consideration. Gary tries to attack Sidney after being convicted (blaming him for saying he had to come forward and tell the truth) and is dragged away by the guards.

If there was ever time for a miscarriage, it is now. I do Amanda loses her baby and leaves her horrible husband and finds a new love who isn't Sidney.

Considering she looks like she's about to pop in the last ep, that might be too much for a lot of viewers.

I don't think Geordie is having a mid-life crisis. I think he's got a bit of PTSD from being shot last season. You could really tell it in episode 1 when the woman pulled the gun on him and he freaked out and couldn't function. I also think (hope!) it didn't go further than a drunken kiss with Margaret. Geordie adores his wife and family. He holds himself to a high standard so I think he's feeling shame and guilt right now. 

Sydney needs a boot up his ass. I'm so sick of his pining over the shallow Amanda. Everything about her drags the show down.

• Love 3

Considering the Grantchester series are based on books by a living author, I'm sure the producers need approval about what characters they can and can't get rid of as well as how and when. I don't have an issue with Amanda. I see her as a woman very much of her time and place in society, and I don't see her moral struggles as any more egregious than Sidney's or Geordie's. I do miss the German girlfriend though. Margaret is fine but her clangy voice makes me wince. 

• Love 1

^ you mean Margaret? At the end of the day I don't think they're a good fit. I'm glad they broke up. 

I found myself in a deep spiral of reblogging sidney x hildegard posts on tumblr today. There's not many, so my spiral only lasted 10 minutes, but it just made me even more sad about this season.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Well I for one applaud the show for "going there." People keep talking about the show getting dark like that's a bad thing. If it was poorly done, then sure, but I think the way Gary's hanging was handled in this episode was masterful. I think Grantchester has gone next level, now. I also have to give James Norton props for his acting in the lynching scene, and the scene with Amanda directly after. His anguish was palpable. At least he was there for Gary! So very sad. 

The fight in the church aisle was very poorly shot. It was laughably obvious that Norton's punches were missing Robson by a mile or two.

I saw this as the only weak spot in the entire episode. That was indeed laughably bad!

• Love 3

I'm totally down for this season.  Does this mean I'm a misery chick?

Like any decent person,  I hate Amanda. At the same time I have pity for her.  Before Sidney started acting full-time emo, he was quite a catch.  I'd be bummed out if I'd been so close to having him,  yet so far away.  And then the man she did marry turned out to be the worst.  (Although, I seem to remember her having some kind of clue that he was an a-hole last season. )

Screw Geordie! He sucks way more than Sidney this season.  I hate him for his hypocrisy.  It's OK for his partner to break the law and plant evidence because he's a "copper"? He defends law and order but definitely thinks he and his fellow officers are above it. I can't respect that.  I'm still not over the water boarding incident from a few episodes ago.  

That church fight should be listed under "when keeping it real goes wrong". Geordie tried to come to Sidney as a friend,  but should have left when his presence was obviously not wanted. Bringing up the WWII mercy kill was a low blow. There might have been some truth in that,  but the time and manner in which Geordie introduced it was clearly inappropriate. We don't mine our friends worst memories to win arguments! I don't know if Sidney attacked because it was true or because it reminded him too much of the list conversation poor Gary ever got to have.  In this situation,  Geordie kept it real, but Sidney kept it realer.

I get why Leonard's friend didn't want to be just friends, but I disagree with his behavior.  He doesn't seem to really appreciate Leonard's position and clear lack of experience in this situation. 

I don't like Margaret. I don't like that unfortunate wig they've plopped on that woman's head.  I don't like that she sat on Sidney and tried to take her top off  (though I understand) and then tried to hook up with his married friend. Girl,  see about yourself! 

I don't miss Hildebrand. She was fine,  but a bit boring.  She was just a blonde Amanda*. I miss the jazz singer Sidney had guilty sex with.  She was interesting. I know she'll never be back and that she was just a device to show down the Sidney/Hildebrand love fest. 

*Is this too harsh?  It may be too harsh.  I don't love her,  but she's no Amanda. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Amelie06 said:

I get why Leonard's friend didn't want to be just friends, but I disagree with his behavior.  He doesn't seem to really appreciate Leonard's position and clear lack of experience in this situation.

In 2016 I could understand the photographer's position better, but in whatever year this is, every gay man has to be nervous and careful, unless he's dangerously reckless. Though I guess Leonard does have extra feelings of guilt and stress to contend with due to his religion and vocation. Plus he's new to it.

why amanda.jpg

Amen!

The red-letter Easter egg:

Spoiler

Stanley Matthews, whose trading card (from cigarette packages) Gary wanted.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Amelie06 said:

I don't like Margaret. I don't like that unfortunate wig they've plopped on that woman's head.  I don't like that she sat on Sidney and tried to take her top off  (though I understand) and then tried to hook up with his married friend. Girl,  see about yourself! 

YES! And YES to your whole post, Amelie06. I also agree about Sydney's various women. Save for the jazz singer, they're either annoying, unlikeable, or boring (or all of the above). I guess I wonder if Sydney is just too much of an anomaly to find someone right for him in that time and place. A vicar, yet very socially progressive. Gorgeous, yet bound to a not-so-sexy (not to mention non-lucrative) profession. 

• Love 3

I loved the show last season. There was definitely a dark, throbbing pulse of unhappiness and personal turmoil running through it. Sidney, Leonard, Amanda, and even Mrs. M were repressed and putting on a front to some extent, as were many of the COW characters. Geordie was calmer and more stable.

This season, the personal despair has been ratcheted up all around, and even Geordie is falling apart. For me, the issue is not that I don't enjoy dark and serious shows, but more the fact that I really grew to like these characters and, in a small way, I now empathize with and take on some of their sadness for myself. So it can be draining to watch.

• Love 2

I'm so, so relieved that I finally thought to read through this forum and find that you all* hate Amanda too. My people! (*obviously not all, but you know, enough that I feel understood.) I have found her incredibly off-putting from the get-go, with her manipulative, passive-aggressive behavior, and she has only gotten worse as time has gone by. In addition to all of that, I also see no chemistry between her and Sidney, so the great love story they're trying to sell just does not work for me and I find myself annoyed with every minute wasted on it.

So this season, I feel sort of...manipulated by the way the writers have made her situation SO horrible. What if Guy were just a rich bore? Amanda would still be playing these games with Sidney, I have no doubt, and I would still be wishing she would just leave him alone and go sleep in the bed she made for herself. But instead, Guy is controlling and possibly abusive, and now Amanda is pregnant. Clearly I don't want to see a character stuck in that awful position. But on the other hand...I just don't want to see her, period. At all. So now, my only hope is that she will leave Guy and flee to America or something, and next time they hire an actress to be Sidney's love interest, they could do some chemistry testing first? And take a minute to consider how audiences will react to the character's behavior? How they could think anyone would really root for or enjoy a woman so openly jealous of other women, so possessive of someone she has no claim to, so snotty and bratty--I have no idea.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 6
On 4/25/2016 at 5:25 PM, snarktini said:

Wouldn't matter to me, really, especially since that's not what he said. Beyond sex, Leonard is unwilling to start/continue a romantic relationship. I have have been on both sides of very similar conversations and felt it was the right thing. (I'm a woman, I date men.)

If I am developing feelings and he doesn't reciprocate or wants something different, "let's just be friends" often isn't wise. If there aren't significant romantic feelings yet we enjoy being together, being friends can work fine. But if one is getting emotionally attached and it's unrequited? Sometimes best to cut ties before it becomes too painful.

I think it's more complicated than just saying that Leonard only wants to be friends. For one thing, what the photographer wanted was illegal in England at the time. There was a whole storyline about it on last season's Grantchester.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Leonard is a virgin, given how skittish he is and the whole illegal thing.

If I were developing feelings for someone and he was a skittish as Leonard, I'd want to hang on for a while to see if he changes his mind.

But really, I think if the photographer isn't willing to settle for friendship with someone who is as good a guy as Leonard, he's no loss.

3 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

So this season, I feel sort of...manipulated by the way the writers have made her situation SO horrible. What if Guy were just a rich bore? Amanda would still be playing these games with Sidney, I have no doubt, and I would still be wishing she would just leave him alone and go sleep in the bed she made for herself. But instead, Guy is controlling and possibly abusive, and now Amanda is pregnant. Clearly I don't want to see a character stuck in that awful position. But on the other hand...I just don't want to see her, period. At all. So now, my only hope is that she will leave Guy and flee to America or something, and next time they hire an actress to be Sidney's love interest, they could do some chemistry testing first? And take a minute to consider how audiences will react to the character's behavior? How they could think anyone would find a woman so openly jealous of other female characters, so possessive of someone she has no claim to, so snotty and bratty--I have no idea.

It's really become a bad soap opera, hasn't it?  It might help if they showed why Sidney is such an idiot about Amanda but they haven't other than he had a crush on her before she got married.

I wouldn't mind an Amanda who is like the one in the book,

Spoiler

a supportive friend to Sidney who helps him marry Hildegard (I think; I haven't read the books yet)

but this Amanda is like the mean girls from high school.  Season 2 is melodrama at its worst.

7 hours ago, Amelie06 said:

I don't miss Hildebrand. She was fine,  but a bit boring.  She was just a blonde Amanda*. I miss the jazz singer Sidney had guilty sex with.  She was interesting. I know she'll never be back and that she was just a device to show down the Sidney/Hildebrand love fest. 

*Is this too harsh?  It may be too harsh.  I don't love her,  but she's no Amanda. 

I agree with most of what you wrote, but had to quote this bit because I can't stop giggling over the accidental typo. I assume you were trying to type Hildegard, and perhaps autocorrect decided to "fix" it. The thing is, I am quite certain that Sydney and (the actual) Hildebrand would not have gotten along! [Hildebrand was an 11th century monk who became Pope Gregory VII, the guy who started the Investiture Conflict. Pretty full of himself. Not Syndey's type at all! Sorry, can't help it; I am a history professor.]

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Amelie06 said:

I'm totally down for this season.  Does this mean I'm a misery chick?

Like any decent person,  I hate Amanda. At the same time I have pity for her.  Before Sidney started acting full-time emo, he was quite a catch.  I'd be bummed out if I'd been so close to having him,  yet so far away.  And then the man she did marry turned out to be the worst.  (Although, I seem to remember her having some kind of clue that he was an a-hole last season. )

Screw Geordie! He sucks way more than Sidney this season.  I hate him for his hypocrisy.  It's OK for his partner to break the law and plant evidence because he's a "copper"? He defends law and order but definitely thinks he and his fellow officers are above it. I can't respect that.  I'm still not over the water boarding incident from a few episodes ago.  

That church fight should be listed under "when keeping it real goes wrong". Geordie tried to come to Sidney as a friend,  but should have left when his presence was obviously not wanted. Bringing up the WWII mercy kill was a low blow. There might have been some truth in that,  but the time and manner in which Geordie introduced it was clearly inappropriate.

Nah, I also prefer shows that stay in my head for whatever reason to cozy ones I forget as soon as the episode is over.

You are probably thinking about Guy immediately looking to Johnny when Amanda's ring got missing.

The sad thing is that this was probably reality in the police force back then.

I don't think his presence was not wanted. If he had just shut up after 'were at the prison, were you?' (IIRC), they would have been fine. Apparently he's not the 'agree to disagree' type even though Sidney asked him in an earlier ep to do just that.

8 hours ago, Carrie Ann said:

And take a minute to consider how audiences will react to the character's behavior? How they could think anyone would really root for or enjoy a woman so openly jealous of other women, so possessive of someone she has no claim to, so snotty and bratty--I have no idea.

Amen!

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If I were developing feelings for someone and he was a skittish as Leonard, I'd want to hang on for a while to see if he changes his mind.

But really, I think if the photographer isn't willing to settle for friendship with someone who is as good a guy as Leonard, he's no loss.

Reveal hidden contents

a supportive friend to Sidney who helps him marry Hildegard (I think; I haven't read the books yet)

Daniel is a bit older than Leonard though and has already been married, right? I kind of get him not wanting to spend time falling for someone who is never going to be committed to him. That said, I get why Leonard is so hesitant, he's in even more of an impossible situation due to his profession and I am of course rooting for him.

6 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

I agree with most of what you wrote, but had to quote this bit because I can't stop giggling over the accidental typo. I assume you were trying to type Hildegard, and perhaps autocorrect decided to "fix" it. The thing is, I am quite certain that Sydney and (the actual) Hildebrand would not have gotten along! [Hildebrand was an 11th century monk who became Pope Gregory VII, the guy who started the Investiture Conflict. Pretty full of himself. Not Syndey's type at all! Sorry, can't help it; I am a history professor.]

Gotta love this board. Where else do you find historical humour these days?  A new co-worker couldn't cope with me knowing the date of the second Turkish siege of Vienna by heart. He would love you ;-)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sonja said:

Nah, I also prefer shows that stay in my head for whatever reason to cozy ones I forget as soon as the episode is over.

I don't see why the two should be mutually exclusive. Cozy does not equal boring and forgettable to me but I admit writing in the genre probably makes me a bit touchy.

To me cozy means simply that at the end of a story (be it a book - or an episode/season of a tv show) I'm not left feeling as if slitting my wrists would make sense right now. Or to put it less drastically that the main characters admit that there's darkness in the world while trying (and occasionally struggle) to keep some light burning. And that's where the show is mostly failing this season for me - YMMV.

• Love 6

I mean, I'm not saying that I want Leonard and Sydney to be together in the biblical sense (get it? they're both vicars!), but if neither of them can find a love interest that is worthy of them, then I am fine with them living together with the dog and the Mrs. until the end.  Of course, Sydney will have to have an angsty tryst now and again, as well as shirtless yard work, but I kind of don't want any of them to get married now.

• Love 3

There's nothing to root for on this show anymore.  Except that Leonard and Mrs. M and Dickens get happy endings. It's too bad that they've basically become glorified extras this season.

I'm actively rooting against so many characters at this point.

I thought Leonard was going to be very annoying when he was introduced last season. I am very surprised to find that he's become my favorite character and I would like to see more of him. Him and Dickens.

Was the law in England really so harsh at the time? No allowance for age or circumstances? No lesser charge of manslaughter?

• Love 2
(edited)

Not an expert for British Law but I did some digging and found that manslaughter would have resulted in a less severe charge and that the jury did have the option to ask for mercy even when handing out a guilty of murder verdict. (Someone correct me if I got that wrong.)

It all changed with the Homicide Act of 1957 which put a lot of restrictions on the death penalty. No idea where we are in the Grantchester timeline (in the books Abigail is still alive and kicking in 1957) but I think the greater problem was that Gary had a s**** defense. Or rather the writers wanted to have a conflict between Geordie and Sidney and therefore created this scenario without paying too much attention to legal details.

Edited by MissLucas

When Sidney's old friend Reverend Sam Milburn visits the parish claiming to be seeking forgiveness for his crimes, the vicar is torn. Matters complicate further when Harding Redmond finds out he has returned and makes threats against his life, and Sam flees. With his friend now missing, Sidney fears the worst and must once again join forces with Geordie to investigate. Meanwhile, Leonard continues to wrestle with his feelings for Daniel Marlowe, and a visit from Mrs Maguire leads to Amanda having a heart-to-heart with Guy.

Gaaaa....sorry I still dislike Amanda (stongly).  That was not a happy ending for me!

Up until that point...I was enjoying the episode (except for poor Leonard's broken heart).  Sidney and Georgie bonded beautifully, Mrs. M and jack went public, Leonard stood up to the archdeacon, etc.

If there is a third season, I will have to consider whether I can endure Amanda as part of it.

• Love 9

A very neat wrap up for the series, however the web reports this has been renewed for a 3rd season.  And that will present a host of new problems to be solved.  

• Love 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if this wasn't the season 2 finale, I'd probably rage quit about Sidney and Amanda. 

You got lucky with your timing, show.

• Mrs. M loses points for supporting Sidney and Amanda, even if it's more out of desperation.
  • this actually felt like a lighter episode somehow, probably because they had to wrap some stuff up.
  • you go, Leonard! So proud of you! Also, poor Leonard ;_;. Don't waste your time on that photographer jerk. 
  • Happy for Mrs. M and Jack (that's his name, right?)
  • that Sidney/Geordie awkward hug was adorable so I'm happy that they kinda patched things up. Lol @ Geordie checking to make sure no one was watching.
  • Even though I can't stand Amanda and Sidney together, I AM happy that she got away from Guy. 
  • Happy that Kathy hasn't quite forgiven Geordie.
  • Is that bar maid going to be relevant? Will she be back for season 3?

I think that's about it. 

• Love 3

I have such disdain, nay, actual hate for the entire 'obsession' story line that I could barely watch this season. 

I see nothing in the dark haired dame to inspire the histrionics from Sidney.  She really isn't "all that".

As her character is presented she is selfish and entitled, how in god's name will she be a vicar's wife???????????????????????

Honestly, I am not really sure I want to stick with this series as the "love story" is so stupid.

I do come back because the other lead actors are really charismatic.  I do give the actor playing the love interest a pass - the part is so silly that she is not really given the chance to shine.

Wow!  sorry for the rant, but I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of that stupid story line.

also, loved and smiled at the hug between Sid and Geordie.

Hated the forecast that there will be trouble in Geordie's marriage.......sigh......can we just stop it please......altho' trouble in a long marriage makes more sense than the stupidity of Sid and what's her name.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, kaygeeret said:

I have such disdain, nay, actual hate for the entire 'obsession' story line that I could barely watch this season. 

I see nothing in the dark haired dame to inspire the histrionics from Sidney.  She really isn't "all that".

As her character is presented she is selfish and entitled, how in god's name will she be a vicar's wife???????????????????????

Honestly, I am not really sure I want to stick with this series as the "love story" is so stupid.

I do come back because the other lead actors are really charismatic.  I do give the actor playing the love interest a pass - the part is so silly that she is not really given the chance to shine.

Wow!  sorry for the rant, but I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of that stupid story line.

also, loved and smiled at the hug between Sid and Geordie.

Hated the forecast that there will be trouble in Geordie's marriage.......sigh......can we just stop it please......altho' trouble in a long marriage makes more sense than the stupidity of Sid and what's her name.

I'm thinking, in the 1950s, they would never accept a divorcee as the vicar's wife. They couldn't even get married to each other in the church if she's been married before. Princess Margaret was in love with Peter Snowden and she couldn't marry him because the Church of England wouldn't let her marry a dude who is divorced. 

• Love 4

OMG Pogojoco, you are so right!.  I remember the entire Princess Margaret thing quite well.

His being a vicar makes the entire thing completely impossible - given the time period - and if he wants to continue as a vicar.

I think, given the angst I see coming that I will skip season 3......my blood pressure couldn't take it!

Such a silly show - and they really could have done better without too much thought.

I understand divorce laws in the UK were very strict, the only accepted reason for divorce was adultery and/or abandonment .  So, no, even if Amanda's husband went along with the divorce, one or the other would have to be accused of adultery, etc.  It was a long process, several years.  And no, Sidney could not associated in any way or form with the Church.  So the essential conflict next year will be "what happens".  The mouse who roared = Leonard, good show.  And what courage it must have taken.  My take on Kathy is she isn't leaving Geordie, but things will be discussed and things will change.  I did love seeing Margaret helping with the interrogation, a sign of things to come, but probably not for 20 years.  

• Love 5

What I adore about this church is how there is just the vicar doing communion with a bit of tuck pointing and strolling about the cemetery and brook, but no wedding or funeral or Sunday school or vestry or church politics. Love it!

Not sure if was his the styling/makeup or just plain acting, but James Norton managed to look much younger to me in the flashback with him putting on his vestments for the first time.

I was pretty weepy-eyed during the last half of the episode, good tears and sad. I'm glad Amanda got away from Guy, but what a soapy, messy set-up for next season. Gah. Maybe I can find some good recaps and not have to actually watch. I still do want to know what happens, but my primary interest is in the mysteries, the village, and Sidney's friendships, not his romances. Puts me at odds with the producers for sure.

My sister and brother-in-law also watch the show and I was heartened to learn that they both dislike Amanda. It's not just us.

• Love 5

I also enjoyed this ep more than the previous ones this season. Feel the same about Amanda. Loved the barmaid. Maybe next season will concern Sidney thinking about leaving the church. Which he should. I don't think he's vicar material. Maybe he can join the police force. Loved the hug between him and Geordie. Leonard was great. I'm glad, hopefully, that that photographer is out of the picture.

Sidney seems to be having a problem even managing his dog.

• Love 5

This episode was better, in my opinion, than the last few have been.  The whole Sidney and Amanda 'forbidden' love rubbish really annoyed me.  The writers ruined the last ten minutes with the appearance of Amanda and her announcement.  And, it seemed very out of character to me that Mrs. M would actually encourage Amanda to go see Sidney.  The last thing she'd want to see is Sidney involved in a horrible scandal with a married and pregnant woman.   Mrs. M knows about being unhappy in a marriage, but I don't believe she would open her mouth to Amanda.  The majority of the characters this season have been written so that I don't like them much at all.  Leonard and Dickens are the two most likeable.  Maybe this series only had one good season in it.  

• Love 7
(edited)

Amanda appears too matronly to be pregnant with her first child and Sydney too sluggish and lumbering ... they both have excuses, but it's not a romantic relationship that hums ... For the times, (even today probably) she too far along to leave her husband for anything but grievous bodily harm or threats of same; giving her venereal disease maybe, but walking out on security and comfort would be seen as selfish and not looking after the interests of the child, bad parenting even before the child was born, not taken lightly by the gossips (even leaving Sydney out of the picture for the time being).  Actually that could be plot ... Amanda's husband's reputation is destroyed (everyone assume she left him for some form of abuse.  Then Sydney is spotted and leading folks to suspect her husband kicked her out for cause -- the baby is Sydney's -- oh-la-la ...) 

I think this role is supposed to transition Norton out of his "young hottie phase" into being a steady working, reliable actor ... but Green is the more interesting, vibrant character even when he's standing still. I stopped paying much attention after the Sam was found still alive (that was an awful lot of blood in that hay, so finding him not only alive but able to speak felt like a cheat), but by then there had been two -- count 'em two -- moments of Sydney "putting 2 and 2 together" for the camera ... clunky... The darkness of the series and the actual hanging were rather repellent.  Just realized that Norton is reminding me of Hathaway on Lewis, except Hathaway is a decade younger and still trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up ... Hathaway being wicked smart does make that dilemma more understandable ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2

Somehow I crossed over to favor the Sidney & Amanda love story this episode.  I think this season showed them both trying hard to get over each other and finally accepting that they never would.  What ever it was about Amanda that struck Sidney in their first meeting at the art museum is not going to go away or be covered over by another pretty woman.  She touches something very deep in him and he draws her back like a homing pigeon.  I wonder if we would have warmed to Amanda a little more if she had been a bit softer looking, she's always so arch browed and put together, the actress isn't built to play vulnerable very well.   At least her pregnancy made her a bit messy. 

I went to bed worried about where he will put Amanda up and hoping he wont be dumb enough to try boarding her at the vicarage.  We may have had a little warning about how things might go over with this week's story, when   the mother of the fourteen year-old who was boarding the bad priest said "Imagine a priest living in a house with a divorced woman!" The church will not allow him to marry her and stay a priest, so we're in for more angst next season.

We also had a hint that Geordie's marriage is heading for a rocky place.

I can see the Sidney, Leonard, Mrs. Maguire and Dickens all falling in love with the baby. 

I'll be there. 

• Love 6