Type keyword(s) to search

The Fantastic Beasts Series

• Start Topic

That looks so cool! Period piece, more interaction with the muggle world, seeing magical societies from around the world, this looks amazing! 

Something I always thought was a bit of a missed opportunity in Book 4 was seeing more about other cultures around the world and their magic communities, but we did not get a whole lot, just some bits and pieces. I am really pumped to see more of wizard society in North America. 

• Love 3

What year is the movie set in and how old is Dumbledore suppose to be?

Cause while Harry was in school it was the late 90s and I was under the impression that Dumbledore was born in like 1930s or something.

Cause while Harry was in school it was the late 90s and I was under the impression that Dumbledore was born in like 1930s or something.

I think the 1940s/50s.

Dumbledore was 150 in HP so he was probably born in the 1800s. He was already teaching at Hogwarts in the 30s.

It's set in 1926.  Dumbledore was born in 1881.  He lived to be 115.

In Half-Blood Prince (the movie), Harry, Ron, and Hermione speculate that Dumbledore was around 150.  

• Love 2

Really? Five films? 

Well, now I really hope we see Dumbledore versus Grindelwald. Or more diversity in America. It would be cool to see other Weasleys or other relatives like the McGonagal family or Longbottoms.

I know we're in America for this first story, but who knows, someone could have traveled to America. I wonder if the other movies are going to be in other countries.

• Love 3

I think Warner Bros should look at The Hobbit and wonder if a story really needs to be stretched that thin.  Also, if it takes you five movies to find the fantastic beasts, you're not a very good magizoologist.

That said, the final trailer made me a lot more interested than I had been previously.  It's really hard to go wrong with a story set in Prohibition-era New York.

• Love 7
On 10/13/2016 at 6:07 PM, starri said:

I think Warner Bros should look at The Hobbit and wonder if a story really needs to be stretched that thin.  Also, if it takes you five movies to find the fantastic beasts, you're not a very good magizoologist.

That said, the final trailer made me a lot more interested than I had been previously.  It's really hard to go wrong with a story set in Prohibition-era New York.

This is a bit different than The Hobbit though as this is an original story and not an adaptation of a rather short book, so it's kind of impossible to say if they're stretching the story too thin or not. If it ends up tied in to the Wizarding War going on in Europe I think that's a wealth of story potential to fill out 5 films.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, starri said:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Now I'm definitely seeing it.

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a great fan fiction film of Dumbledore vs. Grindelwald on YouTube.

First off, that fanvideo is FANTASTIC! Thanks for posting it. I think Dumbledore's story is so incredibly tragic.

Secondly, that spoiler is why I'll definitely be sticking around for all five movies. I wonder how Newt's story is going to evolve in the five stories. Rowling did say he is her favorite character (Yeah fellow Badger!)

Forgive me if I'm asking a really obvious question, but I don't remember much about what's canon about Grindelwald. Given that the two sisters are markedly Jewish, does Grindelwald's inclusion suggest we're going to be getting World War II and Holocaust references? Because I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Johnny Depp is in the sequel. Speculation is that he could be playing

Spoiler

Grindelwald

Can't say this development piques my already-meager interest in checking out the series.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:59 PM, Zuleikha said:

Forgive me if I'm asking a really obvious question, but I don't remember much about what's canon about Grindelwald. Given that the two sisters are markedly Jewish, does Grindelwald's inclusion suggest we're going to be getting World War II and Holocaust references? Because I'm not sure I'm up for that.

My memories of him from DH are hazy at the moment but he was blond as a teen and Bathilda Bagshot was his great-aunt, which was why he was sent to live with her after he got expelled from Durmstrang. His first name is Gellert. It had been previously revealed in the series that Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in 1945, and DH disclosed that the latter was alive and held in another wizard prison that had a name close to Nuremberg, so...yeah.

Edited by Dejana

I won't mention the fanfic I have been thinking about writing for years, which explicitly ties the Warsaw Ghetto and the Holocaust to Gridelwald and Dumbledore (through a Polish Jewish wizarding family). I have stayed away from writing it because I am really afraid of being insensitive. 

As for this film, I am definitely going to be seeing it! I have read some wonderful fics with Rolf Scamander, who hooks up with Luna Lovegood, and I can't wait to see how Redmayne portrays his grandfather.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm not exactly thrilled about Johnny Depp being in the sequel either, but if he's playing Grindewald...well, that could be interesting.

but if he's playing overplaying Grindewald........fixed that for you.

• Love 6
Just now, Silver Raven said:

I thought Rowling required that all of her British characters be played by British actors?

Plenty of her American characters too, from the looks of this.

ETA:  Grindelwald was German.

EATA:  Spell-check recognizes "Grindelwald."  Huh.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

Plenty of her American characters too, from the looks of this.

ETA:  Grindelwald was German.

EATA:  Spell-check recognizes "Grindelwald."  Huh.

LOL, right?  I admit to laughing that JKR was so adamant that the Harry Potter characters all be played by English actors and yet half the American characters are being played by Brits here.  

I'm frankly surprised that Hollywood is willing to cast Depp in the first place--especially in such a high-profile movie.  He's clearly not getting the Mel Gibson shunning treatment.

• Love 2

I don't have the aversion to Depp others have, it's just he is not my picture of Grindelwald at all. Wasn't Grindelwald an attractive, exhilarating blonde? Not sure Depp would fit any of those characteristics except the attractive one, and even then he's not attractive in the way I'd imagined Grindelwald.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't have the aversion to Depp others have, it's just he is not my picture of Grindelwald at all. Wasn't Grindelwald an attractive, exhilarating blonde? Not sure Depp would fit any of those characteristics except the attractive one, and even then he's not attractive in the way I'd imagined Grindelwald.

This is exactly my issue with his possible casting as Grindelwald. He's a talented actor for sure. He just does not fit at all with what I had pictured in my head. Which is too bad because I've always wanted to learn more about Grindelwald. 

On 11/2/2016 at 7:28 PM, NumberCruncher said:

LOL, right?  I admit to laughing that JKR was so adamant that the Harry Potter characters all be played by English actors and yet half the American characters are being played by Brits here.  

I'm frankly surprised that Hollywood is willing to cast Depp in the first place--especially in such a high-profile movie.  He's clearly not getting the Mel Gibson shunning treatment.

I figured JKR was so insistent about British actors because it wasn't always a sure thing that the movies would have a British setting or live actors: Steven Spielberg wanted to do an animated version, reportedly with Haley Joel Osment in the title role.

Fantastic Beasts was still made in the UK so casting British actors is probably easier (no visa issues) and less expensive and if it's like other UK productions, there are probably stipulations that a certain percentage of the cast has to be from there. That doesn't explain Johnny Depp though it sounds like he was brought on before the abuse allegations. I suppose they could always recast but it would be awkward and Hollywood tends to be a fairly forgiving place for powerful men.

On 11/2/2016 at 3:13 PM, JustaPerson said:

I like Johnny Depp but I hope he isn't Grindelwald. Didn't Jamie Campbell Bower play young Grindelwald in the HP movies? Why don't they just get him back?

Grindelwald in this series would be much older than he was for the DH flashbacks where JCB played him. Also, the production is probably Team Bonnie after their busted engagement.  But no, really, JKR made comments about wizards having longer natural lifespans and Dumbledore being past a hundred during the books. She put his year of birth as 1881 so that very special summer with Grindelwald happened in 1899. However, the HP movies don't seem to have been set in the 1990s like the books were, so wouldn't that shift the ages of the older characters as well?

Edited by Dejana
On 11/2/2016 at 10:59 PM, Zuleikha said:

although very nervous about them botching the portrayal of Jewishness

Yeah...I would be a little concerned if they actually did try to kind of go there. Look, JK Rowlings has many positive traits as a writers, she really does, but she has never struck me as a person who writes people who are not generically British with no other real cultural traits super well. I am really interested in her take on America, although I continue to be baffled by the idea that all of North America has one flipping school. Like I said, I dont know if she really...gets other countries or cultures. 

The stuff in the fourth movie is the closest we have ever gotten to seeing other schools in other countries, and we still dont get much about them (and we get the weird fact that France and the UK both get their own schools, while all of Eastern Europe gets one. Alright...), which I always thought was too bad. The stuff she has said was kind of interesting, but also makes me raise a few eyebrows. I will say I dont think the ridiculous national stereotype outfits and dancing in the fourth movie was her fault. Like, what the hell was that? 

As for Johhny Depp? If the director can tone him down and force him to actually give a real performance instead of just mugging for the camera, I would be ok with it. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am really interested in her take on America, although I continue to be baffled by the idea that all of North America has one flipping school.

I actually think that's consistent with what she's created for the Wizarding community in the United States.  They seem to be obsessed with remaining hidden, and that would probably make it more likely that they wouldn't let schools and other gathering places proliferate.

Of course, they go and put their headquarters in the Woolworth Building, so maybe I'm just rationalizing.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

As for Johhny Depp? If the director can tone him down and force him to actually give a real performance instead of just mugging for the camera, I would be ok with it. 

That's a really big if, I don't think he even knows how to give a real performance anymore, he's just over the top quirky all the time.

• Love 6

Yeah...I would be a little concerned if they actually did try to kind of go there.

I am concerned, but I will be more miffed if they try to pretend that Jewish people in 1920s New York were treated like and behaved like  WASP Americans. 

• Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 0:23 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Gasp! You mean you didn't find Mortdecai attractive and exhilirating?!?

• Love 1

Just came back from a screening for this (thanks VW!) and I liked it. But I'm not a Harry Potter die hard; I've watched the movies with my sister and friend who are, but never read the books (although they keep telling me to read them). My sister loved it though.

Just being careful so..

Spoiler

Eddie Redmayne is the cutest!! and so are those beasts (Niffler, and Frank (didn't catch what he was)). Jacob and Newt forever!!! their so awwww, especially at the end. Also Ezra Miller was fantastic. Colin Farrell was good. 

Alot more laughs then I was expecting. And I was getting emotional at the end.

We're going to see it again but in IMAX 3D on Friday so it'll be interesting to see the beasts and action scenes in that format compared to the regular 2D.

Can't wait to how they continue the story as this one seems like a self-contained movie. My sister was saying something about the next one being set in Paris which might be interesting. I wish they would call the movies something else though like "The Adventures of Newt Scamander: New York" so the next one would be "The Adventures of Newt Scamander: Paris" etc if the plan is to set them in different cities. I mean he found his beasts and hopefully they don't escape every time, sooo.

More plot spoilers just in case: 

Spoiler

Yeah Johnny Depp showed up. Thumbs down. Didn't understand his parting shot to Newt, and thought it was just me who didn't catch it but my sister didn't understand what he said either. Enunciate Johnny Depp!

The twist is good.

I think people will really enjoy this movie. 

Edited by dkb
don't want to spoil to much
  • Love 2

I liked it overall.  The main characters are all well-cast and appealing, and I like that they went for the somewhat depressing ending where the heroes don't succeed at saving the kid.  I'd borderline say I wish they'd held off on suggesting Jacob gets his memories back, but whatever, an ongoing Muggle (excuse me, No-Maj) character is an interesting variation for the series.

The Niffler was adorable.

The main plot was fine, but I'm less enthused about the prospect of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald going forward.  The movie doesn't really do anything to suggest he's going to be an interesting character.  If they were going this route, I'd rather have seen Farrell continue in the part.

Really liked it. Wish the New Salemers were a bit more fleshed out and less cuultish and one dimensional. Feel like that would have made them better, more threatening foes. Also: what was going on with the execution they were staring on Tina? It seemed almost like a giant pensive(used by wizards for storing and observing memories). Were they trying to get her to go into the liquid and drown by enticing her with memories.

While I guessed Credence was going to be the person linked to the Obscurus I was not expecting Grindelwald to show up. While I suspected towards the end, I should have guessed it sooner. I noticed he gave Credence a Deathly Hallows necklace. Wanting wizards to come out of hiding was very true to what is shown of his philosophy in the book.

Really enjoyed all the animals. The niffler and bowtruckle were adorable!

Also liked having a non-magic character be part of the main group of characters. I like having an outsiders perspective into the wizarding world.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 3