Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

For some happy news, I was watching Mary Poppins over the weekend, and saw that Glynis Johns - Mrs. Banks - is still alive at age 93!

So that leaves, four of the cast still living, and puts her in the venerable catagory of aged, beloved actors 

• Love 3
On 12/1/2016 at 10:58 PM, riley702 said:

Hopefully, we haven't jinxed him talking about him here.

My dad killed Dixie Carter this way, so it can happen!

Dad:  Are all the Designing Women still alive?

Me:  Yes.

News Reporter Later That Night:  Dixie Carter has died....

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

My mom killed James Garner in similar fashion.

But I'm surprised your dad wondered if they were all still alive -- Dixie Carter was only 70 when she died, and the other three hadn't even hit 60 yet at the time!

Just now, cpcathy said:

I keep having to ask my husband if Hal Holbrook (Dixie's widower) is alive, he is, he's 90, I believe. I hope I haven't cursed him!

I hope you haven't either. He's got some class. We need all of that, especially now.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I keep having to ask my husband if Hal Holbrook (Dixie's widower) is alive, he is, he's 90, I believe. I hope I haven't cursed him!

Hal's still alive. He's either in his late 80's or early 90's, & he was just in my hometown this past Saturday night (2 days ago) doing another performance of the 1-man show on Mark Twain that he's been doing for a number of years now. I think it's called Mark Twain Tonight!.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

Actually it was my friend who killed Dixie Carter.   Her twisted neck commercial came on.   My friend said "Dixie Carter has always creeped me out.  I don't know why, she just does."   Later that night "Dixie Carter has died."

Actress Margaret Whitton  (Major League, among other projects)

She was perfect in that role, providing two of my favorite moments: "I hate this fucking song," and, especially:

[She hands out list of players they'll be inviting to training camp, and much commentary ensues about how they're all past their prime - or never had a prime to begin with.]
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off, then."

• Love 4
13 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Hal's still alive. He's either in his late 80's or early 90's, & he was just in my hometown this past Saturday night (2 days ago) doing another performance of the 1-man show on Mark Twain that he's been doing for a number of years now. I think it's called Mark Twain Tonight!.

And he did the remaining three of the Perry Mason Mysteries that were on NBC after Raymond Burr's passing (Paul Sorvino did the first one).

He's 91, BTW.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

But I'm surprised your dad wondered if they were all still alive -- Dixie Carter was only 70 when she died, and the other three hadn't even hit 60 yet at the time!

Well, my dad is pop culture illiterate, so the real conversation went more like this:

Dad:  Is Maude still alive?

Me:  Maude?  You mean Bea Arthur?  No.

Dad:  What about the rest of them?

Me:  The Golden Girls?  Just Blanche (who was still alive at the time) and Rose.

Dad:  How about the other ones?  On that show with Anthony.

Me:  Designing Women?

Also, I came home one day and my dad says, "Somebody killed that Kelly Clarkston!  The one who was on Simon's show!"  I was like, "Oh my god!  Are you serious?!"  Turns out it was Lana Clarkson, the woman Phil Spector shot.

17 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Actually it was my friend who killed Dixie Carter.   Her twisted neck commercial came on.   My friend said "Dixie Carter has always creeped me out.  I don't know why, she just does."   Later that night "Dixie Carter has died."

I think it'll be of great comfort to my dad to know your friend was the real killer.  Thank you.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, selkie said:

I need to set aside some time to do a "The Right Stuff" rewatch.

I'm going to do that tonight.  I love that movie, so need little motivation to pull out the DVD.  And Ed Harris does such a terrific job as John Glenn!  (The cast as a whole is wonderful.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, selkie said:

I need to set aside some time to do a "The Right Stuff" rewatch.

He didn't like that movie.  Felt that he was portrayed as too much of a "goody two shoes".

I never knew that in Korea, his co-pilot was Ted Williams (THE Boston Red Sox Ted Williams).

• Love 4