Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I love the Sainsbury's Christmas commercial with Mog, and have watched it every year since, but didn't know anything about Judith Kerr until that obituary.  Died at 95, at home, after a short illness, having just last week received an award and worked recently enough that a new book will come out next month, though - that's quite a good end to a 50-year career.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/23/2019 at 11:36 PM, dalek said:

Another of Kerr's well-known books was When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.

I never read her works for much younger children, my introduction to Judith Kerr came from the three books she wrote based on her life.   If anyone has read these books her brother Max (Sir Michael Kerr) grew up to be an RAF pilot during WWII and ended up a high court judge.  

Edited by Homily

Bart Starr, legendary Green Bay Packers QB, dead at 85.  Such a sad weekend for Wisconsin sports, following the horrible news that Howard Moore, one of UW's assistant basketball coaches, lost his wife and daughter in a tragic, senseless car accident.  Moore and his son were injured in the accident.  

Bart Starr was a Hall of Famer on and off the field.  I know that's said often of the greats, but Bart was such a classy guy.  I have a friend whose family was friends with the Starr family during their time in GB and I've been told so many stories of Bart and Cherry's decency.  Bart was a gentleman in every sense of the word.  RIP  

• Love 1
(edited)

Remember the ABC News Business Brief that was the ancestor of today's CBS MoneyWatch Update?

Well, if you do, here's some sad news I just learned-- the man who was often on Business Briefs for ABC has passed on at 92; namely Dan Cordtz.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/former-abc-news-business-reporter-dan-cordtz-dies-at-age-92/401913/

Here is video of Dan on a Business Brief from 4/30/87:

And here is the title from that Business Brief, and a shot of Dan in New York, with lower-third name graphic and OTS headline:

abcbusinessbrief19871.jpg

abcbusinessbrief19872.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
34 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

https://www.leonredbone.com/

Leon Redbone died this morning.

It seems that his original name was Dickran Gobalian  (which may be Armenian in origin) and he was born in, of all places, CYPRUS!  Even though he seemed to have deliberately muddied the waters re his actual origins, no one can deny that Mr. Redbone creatively used his music to express some wonderful truths during his life that made our corner of the world a richer place. RIP, Mr. Redbone. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Well, if nothing else, I feel sorry for his daughter Cosima who got shunned by the rest of her family for believing her father's account. She seems to  have since gotten married and have had some children so I hope her new family will help her cope with the loss of her last parent. 

• Love 2

For those of you who enjoyed eating Jim Dandy sundaes and drinking Fribbles, I have sad news.  Curtis Blake, co-founder of Friendly's has died at the age of 102.  His older brother and co-founder, S. Prestley Blake survives him - age 104.  

I remember Friendly's fondly as one was located just a block away from my home in NY.  Used to go there all the time for lunch or for ice cream.  In fact, if you just wanted a cone to go, there was a separate entrance and service window to get your favorite flavor - which had to be on a sugar cone!  We kids often hung out there after a dance or other event since it also happened to be across the street from our middle school.  That one closed some years ago, although my cousin still has one near her - she and her family often dine there after church.

I also remember us begging Mom to pick up a half gallon of ice cream from there as a special dessert!

RIP Mr. Blake and the wonderful memories your business made for us!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

For those of you who enjoyed eating Jim Dandy sundaes and drinking Fribbles, I have sad news.  Curtis Blake, co-founder of Friendly's has died at the age of 102.  His older brother and co-founder, S. Prestley Blake survives him - age 104.  

Awwww.  Thank you Mr. Blake because Friendly's was my first real job.  They had a strong work ethic for their waitresses, where there was always something that you could be doing.  From filling the ketchup bottles, to cleaning shelves, , right down to the making sure your apron bow was standing up straight.  You were always supposed to be busy.  I think it trained me well for life in general.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 6/2/2019 at 7:28 AM, Inquisitionist said:

I happened to rewatch Reversal of Fortune last week and was surprise, upon Googling von Bulow, to learn that he was still alive.  Jeremy Irons was masterful in that movie.

Irons was far more brilliant in Dead Ringers but there was no way the Academy was awarding him for that movie.  People walked out the theater at my viewing;  I would have followed if not for Iron's compelling performance.  Many, including Irons himself, have alluded Iron's Oscar for Reversal of Fortune was actually for Dead Ringers and I agree.

• Love 2
(edited)

This one is a bit late, but I just found out about it by accident:  Maureen Beebe Hursh has died at age 81.

Unless you were a native of Chicoteague, VA, or a fan of Marguerite Henry's books, you might not know who she was.  She was the young girl, who along with brother Paul and grandparents became the inspiration for the main characters in a book detailing the adventures of Misty of Chincoteague  (1947) and its sequels.

Horse nuts like myself devoured any books about them, including Henry's works.  Many kids used to dream about being a kid growing up on a little island off the coast of Virginia, watch Pony Penning Day, and maybe meet Misty herself!  Her brother, Paul Beebe died way back in 1959 (age 21) in a car accident.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 12

Maida Heatter has died at 102.  (I had no idea she was still with us...).  I have 4 or 5 of her dessert cookbooks and she helped me become popular with people!  It's amazing how a tasty cookie or cheesecake or candy can help one make friends 🙂

RIP - and thanks!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/maida-heatter-prolific-cookbook-author-who-was-dubbed-the-queen-of-cake-dies-at-102/2019/06/07/706c7320-88da-11e9-a870-b9c411dc4312_story.html?utm_term=.919326a0ab3e

• Love 1
19 hours ago, magicdog said:

This one is a bit late, but I just found out about it by accident:  Maureen Beebe Hursh has died at age 81.

Unless you were a native of Chicoteague, VA, or a fan of Marguerite Henry's books, you might not know who she was.  She was the young girl, who along with brother Paul and grandparents became the inspiration for the main characters in a book detailing the adventures of Misty of Chincoteague  (1947) and its sequels.

Horse nuts like myself devoured any books about them, including Henry's works.  Many kids used to dream about being a kid growing up on a little island off the coast of Virginia, watch Pony Penning Day, and maybe meet Misty herself!  Her brother, Paul Beebe died way back in 1959 (age 21) in a car accident.

Somehow, I think Mrs. Hursh may have liked the fact that Misty and their town became famous rather than her own self- and that via her own adventures that generations of children became enthralled with not just her horse but also her hometown. RIP, Mrs. Hursh (and I'm sure she was looking forward to reuniting with her tragically taken brother and other loved ones)!

• Love 4
On 6/3/2019 at 8:17 AM, MissAlmond said:

Irons was far more brilliant in Dead Ringers but there was no way the Academy was awarding him for that movie.  People walked out the theater at my viewing;  I would have followed if not for Iron's compelling performance.  Many, including Irons himself, have alluded Iron's Oscar for Reversal of Fortune was actually for Dead Ringers and I agree.

But Irons' competition in 1991 wasn't very strong either.

(edited)
13 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Well, what the hell do we do now, Odell?

Forget Midnight Cowboy.  My favorite Sylvia Miles role is the acid tongued Myra Gardner in Evil Under the Sun.  I watch Evil every summer.  The repartee, the clothes, the scenery, that Cole Porter music! Delicious summer fare.  For years now, all male main cast members had died whereas the women remained alive.   Sylvia is the first of the latter to go..  So, while marvelous Cole Porter plays in the background, I raise a glass of champagne and bid you R.I.P., Ms. Miles.  May Nicholas Clay wear speedos when giving you that ride to the other side. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Well, what the hell do we do now, Odell?

Forget Midnight Cowboy.  My favorite Sylvia Miles role is the acid tongued Myra Gardner in Evil Under the Sun.  I watch Evil every summer.  The repartee, the clothes, the scenery, that Cole Porter music! Delicious summer fare.  For years now, all male main cast members had died whereas the women remained alive.   Sylvia is the first of the latter to go..  So, while marvelous Cole Porter plays in the background, I raise a glass of champagne and bid you R.I.P., Ms. Miles.  May Nicholas Clay wear speedos when giving you that ride to

I adore Evil Under the Sun  for all the reasons you described.  It's a big ooey-gooey cupcake of a movie and perfect in every way.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

I adore Evil Under the Sun  for all the reasons you described.  It's a big ooey-gooey cupcake of a movie and perfect in every way

I watch this until end of credits just to hear that last note played.  

Honestly, if someone had a fundraiser with this version of Evil as the theme, I would snap up tickets in a heartbeat.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I watch this until end of credits just to hear that last note played.  

Honestly, if someone had a fundraiser with this version of Evil as the theme, I would snap up tickets in a heartbeat.  

Ironically when I first saw this film I was stationed in West Texas where it was hotter than hell and we'd all go to to local on Tuesdays for $1 nights at the movies.  One night was Evil, and it was like diving into a clear pool of icy water.  Man, I love this movie!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

WHOA! 96! I always thought his movie version of Romeo and Juliet was the best one ever made- especially having actual teens play the leads which somehow compelled the audience to identify/root for this couple despite being from another time! RIP, Mr. Zeffirelli! 

• Love 6