Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 7/20/2022 at 1:18 PM, MissAlmond said:

Actor Rebecca Balding who appeared in Soap and Charmed has died, age 73.

As a Charmed fan this saddens me!  She played two roles on that show!!  In Season 1, she played the aunt of a troubled teen who goes to the Halliwell sisters hoping to join their coven.  From Season 5 onward, she played Phoebe's boss, Elise Rothman at the newspaper when she became an advice columnist.  Fans of the show used to joke that maybe the characters were twin sisters.

I didn't realize she played Carol on Soap!  I always hated her for constantly hiding the baby from her dad Jody!!

20 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Taurean Blacque who was nominated for an Emmy for his role as Detective Neal Washington on Hill Street Blues has died, age 82.

As a fan of the show (been catching reruns for a while on cable), he was a good presence and as stated above, under used.  

RIP to both.

• Love 6

She was Monette on Designing Women.  Great character.  She was in Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and Harry Thomason's other shows, too, but I don't know if they knew each other back in the day, or met once all were in Hollywood and bonded over the Arkansas connection.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, LegalParrot81 said:

RIP Paul Sorvino.  He was always on of my celebrity crushes.  😢

Awww, not Phil Cerreta!😭

I always enjoyed him in everything he appeared in. Yes, even as the mobster Pauly in Good Fellas.

And David Warner will always be R'as Al Ghul from Batman: The Animated Series. But I remember him on episodic television as well.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 12
(edited)
10 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

RIP Paul Sorvino.  He was always on of my celebrity crushes.  😢

First Ray Liotta and now Paul Sorvino?  Damn! R.I.P. Mr. Sorvino.

Industry links:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/paul-sorvino-dead-goodfellas-1235185779/

https://deadline.com/2022/07/paul-sorvino-dead-goodfellas-actor-obituary-father-of-mira-sorvino-was-83-1235076878/

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/paul-sorvino-dead-goodfellas-1235324940/

https://www.thewrap.com/paul-sorvino-goodfellas-actor-dies-83/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh no! (David Warner) was such a wonderful actor (my favorite ever to play Bob Cratchit).

Hard to believe it was the same guy who played Cal’s creepy valet in Titanic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Everyone is saying Goodfellas. 

But me?  He's always going to be from Law & Order for me.

I only mentioned that second. To me, he'll always be Sgt. Phil Cerreta.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Sad 2
  • Love 6

All his great performances aside, my favorite memory of Paul Sorvino is when he was asked if he'd known what Harvey Weinstein did to Mira, and he said no, if he'd known it, Weinstein wouldn't be walking, he'd be in a wheelchair.  And that Weinstein better hope he goes to jail, because otherwise he's going to have to meet Sorvino, and "I will kill the motherfucker".

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 13
  • Love 10
(edited)

Like many other L&O fans, the acting role I will remember Paul Sorvino most for is Sgt. Phil Ceretta. (Or, as Det. Mike Logan always called him, Big Daddy.) But what I will remember him for the most is his fierce public defense of his daughter Mira at the height of the #MeToo movement. He said something along the lines of, Harvey Weinstein had better hope for life in prison because otherwise he'll have to deal with me. Mr. Sorvino wasn't a big Hollywood actor at that moment - just a dad who loved his daughter, and he earned my undying respect. RIP, good sir.

As for David Warner, I also remember him from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze. He was a very bright spot in a not that good movie. May he RIP.

ETA: @Bastet - great minds!!!! 💖

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 7

Been a rough couple of days.

Paul Sorvino was always one of those "Hey, it's that guy!" for me.  He always elevated everything he appeared in.

David Werner was the best Jack the Ripper in "Time After Time."  Every time I saw him after that, I got the creeps.

RIP.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/22/2022 at 3:10 PM, magicdog said:

As a Charmed fan this saddens me!  She played two roles on that show!!  In Season 1, she played the aunt of a troubled teen who goes to the Halliwell sisters hoping to join their coven.  From Season 5 onward, she played Phoebe's boss, Elise Rothman at the newspaper when she became an advice columnist.  Fans of the show used to joke that maybe the characters were twin sisters.

I always hoped it would be revealed they were twins that would have been great. I really liked Elise and her relationship with Phoebe. She was really great. I liked when Elise pulled an emergency on Phoebe who later saw her out on a date. Phoebe wasn't mad at all and happy for Elise.

I didn't realize she played Carol on Soap!  I always hated her for constantly hiding the baby from her dad Jody!!

I got into Soap after Charmed and realized she was Carol. I always hated her too for what she did to Jody regards to their daughter. Especially the horrible custody fight and later kidnapping their daughter. I so wished we got to see Carol get what she deserved. Rebecca was an good actress to play horrible Carol to then aunt and Elise who was really great.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Everyone is saying Goodfellas. 

But me?  He's always going to be from Law & Order.

Me too. He was great on Law & Order as Phil. What a talented actor. RIP Paul Sorvino.

7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Paul and Mira always looked like they had a great relationship. The Oscar speech from Mira was incredible. This is a very close second. Take care Mira. It's never easy to lose a parent. 

• Love 13
16 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Veteran British actor David Warner, star of The Omen and Tron, dies aged 80.

The stage and screen veteran’s multi-faceted career included roles in Titanic, Time Bandits and Straw Dogs, as well as a renowned Hamlet for the RSC.

I will always remember him as Jack the Ripper , he was so good and that was a good movie.  I also remember seeing him in a Western of all things as a young actor. I can't remember the title. I was a child when I saw that.  Great character actor, so many interesting roles and performances. RIP.

• Love 8
(edited)

I never watched Law & Order, but with several posting praises of his short stint, I find it interesting to read he hated it (in the Hollywood Reporter obit linked above, he's quoted as having said “I felt like I was in the Russian gulag.  There was absolutely no communication with the writers and the producers, and we had to work under the worst conditions"); that's the mark of a true professional, that an actor can be miserable enough to quit a successful show after just one season, but still turn in a performance viewers remember 30 years later.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 7

I liked him fine on L&O, but in hindsight, wasn't too sad he left, because we then got Jerry Orbach's Lennie Briscoe, who I enjoyed more as a character.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/emmys/tony-dow-alive-wife-and-management-team-announced-death-in-error/ar-AAZZQEo?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=ed04e683722d474684f9e9fe195cc49f

This was just posted on MSN news.   This article claims Tony Dow isn't dead, it was a mistake by the wife, and his management team.  

I just don't know who to believe.  

WTF?! How does a wife mistakenly tell everyone that her husband is dead wow there’s more to the story! 

• Like 3

IIRC, did the same thing not happen with Tom Petty? He was reported to have passed, then they rescinded that, only to announce his passing officially again hours later (the next day?)

While obits for celebrities and statements regarding their passing are pre-planed, especially when one is ill, there should have been time for the wife to inform the management team/PR team in order to stop the release of the news.

Regardless, it does sound like it's imminent, and I am sorry for his family.

• Like 5
(edited)
57 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/emmys/tony-dow-alive-wife-and-management-team-announced-death-in-error/ar-AAZZQEo?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=ed04e683722d474684f9e9fe195cc49f

This was just posted on MSN news.   This article claims Tony Dow isn't dead, it was a mistake by the wife, and his management team. 

WHAT?  Wasn't it said she was with him at the end?  OTOH, there was that whole incident with Tanya Roberts . . .  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

TV Line also retracted the Tony Dow death statement. Someone messed up. Why would the wife say he was dead when he wasn't? This is Tom Petty all over again.

(Because, sadly, it does appear Dow's death is imminent, even if he is still alive.)

Remember when reporting used to CHECK sources?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

TV Line also retracted the Tony Dow death statement. Someone messed up. Why would the wife say he was dead when he wasn't? This is Tom Petty all over again.

(Because, sadly, it does appear Dow's death is imminent, even if he is still alive.)

Remember when reporting used to CHECK sources?

It’s one thing for reporters or outsiders to jump the gun but his wife said he was dead when he wasn’t?! Or is this the wrong information also? How strange. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1