Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Pulitzer prize winning columnist (and former Masterpiece Theater host) Russell Baker has died at 93 after complications of a fall. Sad that it had to happen this way (and I'm always worried about my own elderly mother and falls)but he DID live 93 years and had a very impressive life starting with him overcoming a rather challenging, impoverished childhood with his , widowed mother having to provide for the family during the Depression. RIP, Mr. Baker, you've earned the peace at last! 

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

My uncle dated Kaye Ballard in high school in Cleveland back in the 40s.  My grandfather didn't approve because she was a couple of years older.

Not to in any way belittle your uncle or the late Miss Ballard but she DID disclose in her autobio that she was a lesbian so it may have been just as well that they didn't do more than date. However; I can imagine that she would have been a great deal of fun to have had as a friend so hopefully they stayed friends  as long as they knew each other despite your grandfather's edict,etc. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not to in any way belittle your uncle or the late Miss Ballard but she DID disclose in her autobio that she was a lesbian so it may have been just as well that they didn't do more than date. However; I can imagine that she would have been a great deal of fun to have had as a friend so hopefully they stayed friends  as long as they knew each other despite your grandfather's edict,etc. 

Oh I totally agree.  Back in the 50s no one EVER discussed GLBQ issues.  After decades my sister and I figured out the real reason Grandpa didn't approve and why another uncle (gay) was kind of ignored by his father but doted on by his mother.  

I know things are rough now, but imagine living in those days.

• Love 11
On 1/23/2019 at 8:58 AM, Blergh said:

That sound you hear is my jaw hitting the floor.  I had no idea that she was a lesbian.  I just knew that she was a really funny actress and comedienne (and that she could sing, too), and I remember her well from The Mothers-in-Law. I wonder whether she and Eve Arden are reminiscing now.

Thank you, Ms. Ballard, and rest in peace.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That sound you hear is my jaw hitting the floor.  I had no idea that she was a lesbian.  I just knew that she was a really funny actress and comedienne (and that she could sing, too), and I remember her well from The Mothers-in-Law. I wonder whether she and Eve Arden are reminiscing now.

Thank you, Ms. Ballard, and rest in peace.

I know what you mean, legal.

I knew she never married but I just took that to mean that she simply was uninterested in getting married and was either hetero or asexual.  There was nothing 'stereotypical' about her that would have  gotten me to not give Miss Ballard the benefit of the doubt re her sexuality. Her revelation didn't take a jot away from my liking her as a person and a performer   but it WAS a surprise to me! I fully agree that she was a marvellous comedienne would could really sing! RIP, Miss Ballard. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, SmithW6079 said:

This happened on January 1, 2018, but the young actor who played Brett Butler's son in "Grace Under Fire" died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 33. He quit acting after Butler exposed herself to the child actor (he was 12) by lifting her skirt and flashing her breasts at him. He later performed in a band and then opened a vegan restaurant. I wonder if this unwanted sexual exposure negatively affected his life. As far as I know, she never suffered any consequences from her actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Paul_Steuer

Yeah, I used to watch the show as a kid and it was pretty shocking to learn about why he left the show. I thought it had just been a case of soap opera rapid aging syndrome applied to a sitcom.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

And who gave her a Golden Globe Award & 2 children

The children were certainly a joint effort.  As for the Golden Globe,  well that certainly involved some campaigning effort on somebody's part (and yes, I do imagine that somebody was him).   I also have to believe she earned that divorce settlement - although in the long run she didn't seem that aggrieved.  Ah, the seventies.  I bet most people know her today from John Waters' original film version of Hairspray.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The man who gave the world Pia Zadora!

To this day whenever I hear the words "Golden Globes", Pia Zadora is the first thing that pops in my mind.  So RIP Meshulam Riklis, your PR campaign worked wonders indeed.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, BW Manilowe said:

From USA TodayMichel Legrand, Oscar-Winning ‘Windmills of Your Mind’ Composer, Dead at 86

I think, among other works, he also composed the theme to the TV-movie Brian’s Song which starred James Caan & Billy Dee Williams.

R.I.P to a master.  The Windmills of Your Mind remains haunting and I absolutely love his score to The Three Musketeers.  The music for the opening credits sequence is fantastic.  R.I.P, Monsieur Legrand.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
On 1/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From USA TodayMichel Legrand, Oscar-Winning ‘Windmills of Your Mind’ Composer, Dead at 86

I think, among other works, he also composed the theme to the TV-movie Brian’s Song which starred James Caan & Billy Dee Williams.

If you watch this (it's fast and may be anxiety-inducing and it's a bit of an earworm, but I think it's interesting), hit pause or mute as soon as the stretcher appears at the end, trust me! All you'll miss is the tacked-on loud laughter of children. The Muppet Show, 1977:

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 4

That article doesn't list a cause of death for Ingram, but according to others, which all seem to be citing TMZ as the source, chalk another one up for cancer -- brain cancer, this time.

• Love 1

Aww man... I liked his music. The hits, anyway.

By the way, regarding the recent passing of Pat Boone’s wife Shirley... I met the entire family, including all 4 daughters... which included Debby pre-You Light Up My Life, during my March of Dimes-related era & had a photo op with them. The photo is all 7 of us sitting on a long bench seat; 2 daughters on each end, Shirley on the left middle, Pat next to her & me on his lap, as I remember. We were all at the US Capitol building on the same day. I was in the midst of a 2-day “cattle call” photo op with as many US Senators as were able to participate; I never heard what the Boones were there for. But somehow we managed to connect. They were all just as nice as it’s always said he & his family are. I don’t remember where I read it, but I liked the comment in Pat Boone’s statement on his wife’s death where he said something like, “she’s just changed her address; I’ll eventually be moving in with her again”.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t remember where I read it, but I liked the comment in Pat Boone’s statement on his wife’s death where he said something like, “she’s just changed her address; I’ll eventually be moving in with her again”.

Aw. That's really touching. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved his "Somewhere Out There" duet with Linda Ronstandt! 😭😭😭😭

Despite loving both their voices, and finding them both great duet partners in general, I cannot stand that song.  But I'd forgotten just how many of Ingram's songs I do like until reading his obituaries, especially One Hundred Ways, Just Once, and I Don't Have the Heart.  And I'd also forgotten how many good songs made famous by other singers he'd written.  He was very talented, and 66 is too damn young.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh no, not James Ingram! I loved his "Somewhere Out There" duet with Linda Ronstandt! 😭😭😭😭

Dammit. That song always made me cut onions. Still does. 😭😭

RIP sir and thanks.

Screw cancer.

I also remember this song by him.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 9

I loved James Ingram's voice and so many of his songs including How Do You Keep the Music PlayingBaby Come to MeOne Hundred WaysJust Once, and I Don't Have the Heart. I have been listening to his songs on Pandora's 80's R&B channel over the last few weeks. 

Rest in peace.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I like the song What About Me that he sang with Kenny Rogers and  Kim Carnes. Was co-written with Richard Marx.

I really like that song too. But after awhile I think it gets tricky trying to figure out if it was just about her with each of the guys (separately, of course) or are there other relationships there.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I like the song What About Me that he sang with Kenny Rogers and  Kim Carnes. Was co-written with Richard Marx.

I forgot about that song. I haven't heard it in years until YT, but I used to love it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I loved James Ingram's voice and so many of his songs including How Do You Keep the Music PlayingBaby Come to MeOne Hundred WaysJust Once, and I Don't Have the Heart. I have been listening to his songs on Pandora's 80's R&B channel over the last few weeks. 

Rest in peace.  

I remember Baby Come to Me, Just Once and I Don't Have The Heart having heavy air play as I was growing up. Same goes with Somewhere Out There.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Damn.  Remember the Titans is one of my favorite sports movies, and the real-life relationship between Julius and Gerry was such a lovely story (the movie version, too, but obviously that covered them in high school and then just gave us an update that it continued until Gerry's death).  I wonder if Gerry's mom is still alive; when asked by the filmmakers about Julius, she said, "That's my baby!"  Pretty amazing the relationship they wound up having, too.

Strong side!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

Too many!  I can't keep up.  

I remember you Kaye Ballard.  R.I.P.

Does heaven need new celestial choir members or something?  Another smooth singer gone too soon. R.I.P. James Ingram.

R.I.P. Julius Campbell.  Reunited once again with all your former teammates.

R.I.P. James Frawley.  The Muppet Movie remains very special to me due to Jim Henson still voicing Kermit the Frog.

Edited by MissAlmond
Corrected name. Sorry Kaye! I do remember you.
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Actress Louisa Moritz died.

She was one of the first women to come forward with an accusation of rape against Bill Cosby. Her obituary was interesting. In addition to acting, she was a singer, a hotel owner, writer and studied law.

I remember she used to appear in some of the Mighty Carson Art Players sketches on Johnny Carson’s version of The Tonight Show.

• Love 3
On 1/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, Annber03 said:

Aw. That's really touching. 

I kinda paraphrased what Pat Boone said about his wife’s death. The actual statement, which speaks of her moving into “a beautiful new mansion in Heaven, prepared specifically for her and her husband by Jesus himself” can be found here, among other sources.

• Love 4
On 1/30/2019 at 7:38 PM, BetterButter said:

Dick Miller, ‘Gremlins’ and ‘Terminator’ Actor, Dies at 90

Hmm. Much as I love both those movies to me he's the guy from A Bucket of Blood and Little Shop of Horrors.  I guess Joe Dante and James Cameron felt the same.  RIP, sir. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

British actor Clive Swift, who played Richard Bucket (that's bouquet!) on Keeping Up Appearances, has passed away at 82.  RIP, sir.

I loved his performance as the tortured, but tolerant Richard on Keeping Up Appearances His expressions of frustration, perplexity, and exhaustion at  Hyacinth's hapless attempts to climb the social ladder were hilarious. What a comedian!

Rest in peace, Clive. Thanks for the laughs.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

British actor Clive Swift, who played Richard Bucket (that's bouquet!) on Keeping Up Appearances, has passed away at 82.  RIP, sir.

Ah. but remember the time in which his car got stuck in a ditch (thanks to a harebrained 'shortcut' Hyacinth had insisted they take instead of the motorway ) and the car splashed a great deal of mud on her clothes? "You'll PAY for this Richard BUCK-ET. . .er BOO-KAY!"  (in spite of the fact that they were many miles away from anyone else who could have heard her).  It can't have been easy to play the longsuffering spouse who endured so much abuse from his overwhelming half but Mr. Swift did it in a comical way that somehow kept the audience's sympathy (unlike the next door neighbor Emmett who just wound up being an insufferable pain). RIP, Mr. Swift!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I loved his performance as the tortured, but tolerant Richard on Keeping Up Appearances His expressions of frustration, perplexity, and exhaustion at  Hyacinth's hapless attempts to climb the social ladder were hilarious. What a comedian!

Rest in peace, Clive. Thanks for the laughs.

Word. Got a kick out of him on that show. RIP sir and thanks.

• Love 5
On 1/30/2019 at 6:13 AM, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. James Frawley.  The Muppet Movie remains very special to me due to Jim Henson still voicing Kermit the Frog.

Definitely!  I just found out about his passing when I checked a Monkees blog which announced the news along with various links to other Frawley death announcements.  I'll always remember Frawley more for his Monkees work than his later accomplishments.  He essentially helped make the Monkees the onscreen team they became by teaching them the art of improv (Micky and Davy were trained actors but improv was a foreign concept to both of them) and teaching them how to work together onscreen.

Frawley also direct half of all Monkee episodes and appeared in a few of them (he had also appeared in various roles on TV prior to directing), plus he was the voice of the Monkees' dummy, Mr. Schneider.

There had been some sources that claimed he was the son of actor William Frawley (Fred Mertz on ILL), but the bios I've come across for the elder Frawley had him divorced and childless in 1927, so it seems unlikely he was related.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

There had been some sources that claimed he was the son of actor William Frawley (Fred Mertz on ILL), but the bios I've come across for the elder Frawley had him divorced and childless in 1927, so it seems unlikely he was related.

I saw that too and didn't mention it for exactly the reasons you stated.  Things didn't seem to add up. That is unless William Frawley had a secret family hidden away  in Texas. The dog (LOL).  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2