Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Robert Wolders, Actor and Longtime Audrey Hepburn Companion, Dies at 81

I remember him from the episode of Mary Tyler Moore described in The Hollywood Reporter:

The handsome actor also played Paul Van Dillen, a charming ski instructor who has a superficial romance with Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore) that draws all kinds of reactions from her co-workers, on a 1974 episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I remember this episode!  Funny.  

He sure got around, romance-wise.  Merle Oberon, Audrey Hepburn, Leslie Caron, Shirlee Fonda.  I wonder what the story was there?

He was a Hollywood guy.  He was Merle Oberon's fourth husband while Shirlee was Henry Fonda's fifth wife.  Back in old Hollywood, 'living in sin' was frowned upon, but multiple marriages were A-OK.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He was a Hollywood guy.  He was Merle Oberon's fourth husband while Shirlee was Henry Fonda's fifth wife.  Back in old Hollywood, 'living in sin' was frowned upon, but multiple marriages were A-OK.

He only married Merle, though! 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Actually, it looks like the late Mr. Wolders did the opposite  considering that he lived longterm with Miss Hepburn and Mrs. Fonda yet technically remained Miss Oberon's widower.  In any case, it seemed that he made these ladies' lives happier and even Miss Hepburn's sons have said that they considered him part of their family long after their mother's death.

• Love 3
(edited)

From USA TodayDenis Ten, Olympic Figure Skater and Bronze Medalist, Dies After Stabbing in Kazakhstan

He was only 25 years old & his stabbing was in connection with trying to stop the theft of some items from his car (someone was trying to steal the mirrors off of his car). He was also the first Kazakh Figure Skater to win an Olympic Medal. He won the Bronze Medal at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some information and to correct other information.
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From USA TodayDenis Ten, Olympic Figure Skater and Bronze Medalist, Dies After Stabbing in Kazakhstan

He was only 25 years old & his stabbing was in connection with trying to stop the theft of some items from his car (someone was trying to steal the mirrors off of his car). He was also the first Kazakh Figure Skater to win an Olympic Medal. He won the Bronze Medal at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

This one was heartbreaking.   Just let them have the damn mirrors.   Your fans would buy you more.   

• Love 4
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, UYI said:

Forgive me if this was posted already--I've missed a few pages--but legendary Another World head writer Harding Lemay died back in May, even though his obituary was only made public about a week or two ago.

Oh no!  I read Lemay's book about his years on Another World and how Mac Cory wasn't originally slated to be a regular character.  However when Lemay saw the chemistry between Douglass Watson (Mac) and Victoria Wyndham (Rachel) he immediately switched gears and had them become a couple.  I always wondered* why the writers of Sleepy Hollow weren't as smart to do the same when presented with the unexpected gift of chemistry, but the price has already been paid for that mistake.  RIP, Mr. Lemay. 

ETA:  Actually I never did "wonder", I knew why.  It was stupid on their part and they refused to listen.  But, as noted, that price has already been paid.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 9:31 PM, legaleagle53 said:

It's incredible how handsome he remained even well into his 80s (and why does 86 just strike me as still too damn young?).  RIP, Tab.

He's a really good testament to why seniors should stay physically active. And yeah, this one surprised me. He was definitely one of the celebrities I could've seen hitting the century mark. (Right now it seems like Betty White, Rita Moreno, and Estelle Parsons are my bets for hitting it.)

And yeah, happy trails, handsome.

Anyway, Alan Longmuir wasn't much of a surprise. He briefly reunited with Stuart Wooderson and Les McKewon for a tour and the guy did not look healthy at the time. I'm honestly surprised he made it to 70. The Bay City Rollers have such a heartbreaking story. I hope he found peace at the end. R.I.P. Anyway...

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 10:21 PM, methodwriter85 said:

He's [Tab Hunter] a really good testament to why seniors should stay physically active. And yeah, this one surprised me. He was definitely one of the celebrities I could've seen hitting the century mark. (Right now it seems like Betty White, Rita Moreno, and Estelle Parsons are my bets for hitting it.)

Indeed.  I just started going back to the gym a few weeks ago myself, with the idea of trying to feel 25, look 35, and forget that I'm actually approaching 60 (I'm currently 57)!

And I would add Barbara Eden, Joan Collins, William Shatner, Dick Van Dyke, and Bernadette Peters (who turned 70 this year!) to your candidates for the 100+ Club.  May they all live long and prosper!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 9

Florence Henderson was also a surprise, because she really did seem really chipper and active. 82 still feels too young for her to have gone out.

On the other end, I didn't feel an ounce of shock at Brittany Murphy's passing. Girl had not looked healthy since she went the ana lifestyle in the early 2000's.

And I'm still also surprised Elizabeth Taylor made it to 79. Just reading over her life, she really had so many health problems that could have killed her at any point going as far back as her 20's.

As an aside, going by the comments you made on the Timeless board, you must HATE the current short buzzcut/tattoo sleeve/big beard combos that's really hot on gymbros now. LOL.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

As an aside, going by the comments you made on the Timeless board, you must HATE the current short buzzcut/tattoo sleeve/big beard combos that's really hot on gymbros now. LOL.

Are you talking to me?  Hell to the YES, I hate them!  But I do appreciate a good buzz cut on a man -- it's just that not all men can really pull it off (I certainly can't!).

• Love 3
(edited)

Apparently an attempted suicide the doctors couldn't reverse.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/29/ex-wwe-star-brian-christopher-lawler-dead-after-prison-hanging/

Very sad.  Sad for his father to outlive his son, sad for the whole family.

ETA: the wrestling sites are saying now that he never regained consciousness and they just kept him on life support long enough that his father (Jerry Lawler) could travel there to say goodbye to him.  Geez. Awful.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
8 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Sad for his father to outlive his son, sad for the whole family.

Last night I was watching the Andre the Giant so googling various wrestlers in the movie to see if they were still alive and Jerry Lawler was one of them.

^^I was just coming in here to post about this.  She's another one I would have expected to make it to the 100+ Club, but 92 is a great run.  RIP, Ms. Rae, and thanks for all the fun as Mrs. Garrett on The Facts of Life.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 11

Agree legaleagle! And if anyone gets the chance, I urge a good look at her playing the battling Sylvia Schnauzer (the wife of Al Lewis's character) in that classic comedy, Car 54 Where Are You? However;   my first memory of her was as Molly the Mail Lady in Sesame Street who taught us how to count by telling us how many flights of stairs she had to carry packages.  Oh, and she was a friend from college with both Cloris Leachman and the late Paul Lynde!  Can I say, RIP Mrs. Schnauzer?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Agree legaleagle! And if anyone gets the chance, I urge a good look at her playing the battling Sylvia Schnauzer (the wife of Al Lewis's character) in that classic comedy, Car 54 Where Are You? However;   my first memory of her was as Molly the Mail Lady in Sesame Street who taught us how to count by telling us how many flights of stairs she had to carry packages.  Oh, and she was a friend from college with both Cloris Leachman and the late Paul Lynde!  Can I say, RIP Mrs. Schnauzer?

I remember her as Molly, too, but I didn't know she was old friends with Cloris Leachman going all the way back to college.  No wonder Cloris was picked to replace her on The Facts of Life for that show's last two years.  I also didn't know that she was a pancreatic-cancer survivor -- those are extremely rare, and although I still want to say "Fuck Cancer," it's a testament to her that she not only kicked that, but was even determined to kick bone cancer as well.  Good on ya, Ms. Rae!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 7

With Charlotte Rae's death, Todd Bridges is officially the sole survivor of the original cast of Diff'rent Strokes--and while he's now been clean and sober for almost 25 years, many thought he would be the first to go.

(God, and the 20th anniversary of Dana Plato's death is next year! Where did the time go?) 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Joel Robuchon just passed away from pancreatic cancer. Robuchon was considered on of the most influential chefs in the world. His restaurants have 32 Michelin stars. He trained and was a mentor to Eric Ripert, who recently lost his best friend Anthony Bourdain.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/europe/joel-robuchon-chef-dies-intl/index.html

That’s a big loss for the foodies in this world but he left a great legacy of chefs. 

• Love 4

Pancreatic Cancer takes chefs out left and right, damn! I know it's not only caused by drinking, but a lot of times it is a factor. All my working life in a kitchen and they smoke and drink like there's no tomorrow. RIP Joel. Butter more butter!!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, UYI said:

With Charlotte Rae's death, Todd Bridges is officially the sole survivor of the original cast of Diff'rent Strokes--and while he's now been clean and sober for almost 25 years, many thought he would be the first to go.

(God, and the 20th anniversary of Dana Plato's death is next year! Where did the time go?) 

Todd may be the sole survivor of the original Diff’rent Strokes cast (except Janet Jackson—yes, THAT Janet Jackson, who’s still alive—had a recurring role as Charlene, the girlfriend to Todd Bridges’ character, Willis; Janet started out as a child actress & her 3 biggest roles were probably in Good Times, Diff’rent Strokes & Fame though the last 2 shows may not be in the order in which she did them). But, Todd (& Janet, if you include her) isn’t the only surviving cast member of Diff’rent Strokes from the whole run of the series.

During the last 3 seasons of the series, in a bid to refresh it, to improve the ratings, whatever, Philip Drummond, the white millionaire with a daughter (played by Conrad Bain) became involved with, then married, a woman named Maggie McKinney (the character was originated by Dixie Carter, & then played by actress & former Miss America Mary Ann Mobley for the last 2 seasons of the show—sadly, both Carter & Mobley [whom I had the chance to meet & work with on March of Dimes stuff] are deceased, from different types of Cancer). Anyway, Maggie had a red-headed, typically precocious since he’s a child actor, son named Sam McKinney. Sam was played by Danny Cooksey. Danny’s still alive & still acting, primarily as a voice artist in animated work.

Another of the actresses who had a (mainly recurring) role in Diff’rent Strokes is also still alive (& was still acting as recently as last year, 2017). That would be character actress Mary Jo Catlett, who played the Drummonds’ housekeeper, Pearl, in the last few seasons of the show. I think those are all of the actors who had some part in Diff’rent Strokes, in general, & are still alive.