Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

First reaction:   Someone is Jefferson Airplane is 74?   Whoa, when did they get old?   Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.   But they seemed young.

That made me look up Grace Slick; she's going to be 79 this year <knock on wood!>.

• Love 1

As they say these days, I just cant....

We get it - everyone dies. You've made your point. Give it a rest.

I agree.  Look, 2016, we talked about this already.  Lay off the celebrities that most of us grew up with for a bit, OK?  Like, say, for the rest of your tenure?

• Love 2

More on the passing of Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner:

Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week.

His death was confirmed by longtime publicist and friend, Cynthia Bowman, who said he died of multiple organ failure and septic shock.

Mr. Kantner had a string of health problems in recent years, including a heart attack in March.

That's sad. RIP Mr. Vigoda.

If your cable/satellite TV channel package includes Antenna TV, they air Barney Miller repeats. You might keep your eyes out for a Fish-centric marathon of eps in the near future.

Replying to 1 of my previous posts to state that, if you have Antenna TV they started running a Barney Miller marathon at 4PM Eastern (about 20 minutes ago, as I type) & it lasts until 10PM Eastern tonight--so 6 hours/12 episodes worth. Judging by some of the ep titles listed on TitanTV's website, it appears to be the "Fish character-centric" ep marathon I predicted would happen in the above post on the day of Mr. Vigoda's passing.

This might not mean much to any non-Brits, but over here, it's painful news for millions:

Sir Terry Wogan has passed away.

Such a witty, warm, kind, understated man. I used to listen to his BBC Radio 2 morning show every day, and would be almost crying with laughter at times. Others might know him more for his affectionately acerbic coverage of the silly Eurovision Song Contest, or for the hundreds of millions of pounds he helped to raise through Children in Need.  I'm more choked up about this one than about any of the other recent deaths.

Fucking January and cancer couldn't go without taking just one more, could they?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

This might not mean much to any non-Brits, but over here, it's painful news for millions:

Sir Terry Wogan has passed away.

Such a witty, warm, kind, understated man. I used to listen to his BBC Radio 2 morning show every day, and would be almost crying with laughter at times. Others might know him more for his affectionately acerbic coverage of the silly Eurovision Song Contest, or for the hundreds of millions of pounds he helped to raise through Children in Need.  I'm more choked up about this one than about any of the other recent deaths.

Fucking January and cancer couldn't go without taking just one more, could they?

I do know Sir Terry Wogan.  I saw him dance on the Strictly Come Dancing Children in Need special a few years ago.  He was rubbish as a dancer, and he knew it, but he owned it with what I regard as a charming sense of humor:  "I make John Sergeant look good, don't I?"

RIP, Sir Terry.  And my condolences to the UK for having lost a cherished institution.  And yes, Cancer, go to Hell and take this wretched month with you!

• Love 1

Vanessa Hudgens dad died yesterday from, you guessed it, cancer.    Although not a celebrity himself, this is news because she is scheduled to perform live in Grease tonight on Fox.   She has dedicated the performance to him.

Plus cancer SUCKS.   All those who die from it should be remembered in some way.

• Love 1

Thank God January is over.

Please February, leave the celebs alone.

If there's some great karmic counter, then I'd trade a few extra celebs going to their err... eternal reward if a multiple of that number of ordinary everyday folk get a few extra years each! (especially ones I know personally)

If there's some great karmic counter, then I'd trade a few extra celebs going to their err... eternal reward if a multiple of that number of ordinary everyday folk get a few extra years each! (especially ones I know personally)

That may be true. But with the exception of Scott Weiland's od, none of the celebs we lost was deserved.

Also, losing those we grew up idolizing (for better or worse), is a measure of our age.

That may be true. But with the exception of Scott Weiland's od, none of the celebs we lost was deserved.

Many of them died of old age.  How is that counted as undeserved?

Except they didn't die of old age in their 70s for most of them, they died of CANCER.   Fucking cancer.  Which means they went far too soon.   Now Abe Vigoda, yeah old age.   But still wish he ad a lot more years with us.   Hell I think George Burns went too soon.

I would not wish cancer on anyone.   Not even my worst enemy.   Not even the worst dictator in the world.   I also would not trade a celebrities life to save a "common" person's life.   Remember, those celebrities had family and friends who didn't want them to go either.   

• Love 3

Also, losing those we grew up idolizing (for better or worse), is a measure of our age.

*eyebrow*

Not to be all "Drugs, yay!" or anything, but this is a case of mileage varying.

• Love 5

Deserved may be a bad choice of words, but if someone is really determined to be self-destructive, I can't really be that sad if they succeed. (Unless I know them, but I assume we're talking about celebs here.)

Yeah, I couldn't think of the right word. Not deserved per se, but drugging yourself so high on purpose, when you know it can kill you, well, you have it (death) coming.

I knew Maurice White had been ill for some time, but damn.  It hurts.  

I expect he'll be playing the kalimba up there with the rest of them.  I need to think of a name for that band.

• Love 1

Whoever is doing the in Memoriam segment for the upcoming Grammys is somewhere saying "WTF - another one to add?"

Love the song "September."  It has special meaning for me. 

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 4

I'm not nor was a BMX fan but for some reason this one got to me a little. Mirra on the Challenge was the only host I ever really liked.  I remember there was some of the typical screwing over of these really low rent famewhores and he was just so disgusted and yet amused at their flailing and posturing.  It just spoke volumes to me as a kid in his teens that unlike the other hosts, he was so open in looking at it as bullshit it was.  Entertaining bullshit.  It just put things in perspective in an odd way.  The one host wanted to be the fan buddy of the cast which was odd since he was an Olympic medalist and they were, well people couldn't figure out how to "stop being real"  and the other one treated the whole show like it was the Olympics.  Or an actual tug of war that would cure cancer. 

Sorry he had some personal demons he couldn't win against.  And sorry for what this puts the loved ones he leaves behind through.

• Love 1

Look, God, the way things are going down here on Earth we need some good music -- so stop killing off the musicians.  

And notice both of the two most recent entries are cancer.   What the hell is going on here?   

• Love 3