Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

So sorry to hear about Roger Rees's passing.  Only 71.  No cause of death reported yet, but IMDb notes declining health in recent years, which "forced him to withdraw from his final role in John Kander and Fred Ebb’s musical The Visit earlier this year."  A very talented man, who also seemed like a good and kind one.

I too loved his Lord John Marbury character.  I had forgotten he was Robin Colcord on Cheers, but then I sort of checked out during the Kirstie Alley years.

RIP Roger Rees.

• Love 1

It's just breaking now (ie, Google isn't picking up the articles yet), but: Roger Rees.

Damn. Just heard about it :(. RIP Roger, you kicked ass as the Sheriff of Rottingham. We'll miss you.

Two of my favorite clips from the movie.

• Love 3

I too loved his Lord John Marbury character.  I had forgotten he was Robin Colcord on Cheers, but then I sort of checked out during the Kirstie Alley years.

I never completely warmed to Rebecca.  In fact, the only thing where I felt I identified with her was in relation to her devotion to Robin Colcord.  He was a scoundrel but Roger Rees made him so charming despite his numerous flaws.

But I also adored him as Lord John Marbury.

• Love 1

Broadway to honor Roger Rees by dimming their theatre marquee lights in tribute for 1 minute Wednesday night (for those who aren't aware, this is a Broadway tradition to mark the passing of the bigger names in the theatrical world). Also, the linked article--sadly--says the brief illness mentioned in his early obits was Cancer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/broadway-honor-roger-rees-dimming-lights-wednesday-32420229

• Love 2

Rolling Stone (and other sources) are reporting that Nick Cave's 15-year-old son died after falling from a cliff.  Ugh.

Arthur Cave, the 15-year-old son of Nick Cave and wife Susie Bick, died suddenly Tuesday after falling off a cliff in Brighton, England. In a statement, Cave and Bick confirmed their son's death, "Our son Arthur died on Tuesday evening. He was our beautiful, happy, loving boy. We ask that we be given the privacy our family needs to grieve at this difficult time." Investigators said that Cave's death is not being treated as suspicious. ... 
Arthur and his twin brother Earl Cave both appeared in 20,000 Days on Earth, a quasi-documentary that follows the Bad Seeds singer over the course of a day.

• Love 1

David-Troy Somerville

May you Oom Dooby Doom your way into Heaven, Dave! 

I always loved doo-wop music (even though I was born long after it's initial popularity waned) and I always feel just a little bit sad to hear those original singers passing on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Coe and Rocco were two of those "that guy's been in everything" kind of actors. I enjoyed them both, particularly Coe.

When I read Mr. Coe's obit before posting the link here, I noticed it said he'd been in The West Wing; but for the life of me I couldn't remember who he played in it. According to a post in the TWW forum, he played Bartlet White House nemesis Senator Howard Stackhouse (of--among other eps--The Stackhouse Filibuster, which he caused because he apparently had an autistic grandchild no one [or few people] knew about & he wanted more funding for autism research in, I think I remember, a children's health care bill the Bartlet administration was trying to get passed). So TWW fans have lost Lord John Marbury & Senator Stackhouse in the same month. That's kinda sad.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I remember Coe from Hill Street Blues, where he played a city council member running for mayor for a few episodes some 30+ years ago.  I also remember his character firing Dustin Hoffman in Kramer v. Kramer.  He had an extensive list of credits, but I'd forgotten about SNL until reading his obituary.

I remember Coe from Hill Street Blues, where he played a city council member running for mayor for a few episodes some 30+ years ago.  I also remember his character firing Dustin Hoffman in Kramer v. Kramer.  He had an extensive list of credits, but I'd forgotten about SNL until reading his obituary.

KVK is whar I remember him from. I grew up watching that movie. 

He was also Hope's dad on thirtysomething. RIP. 

Seems that pretty much every male TV actor in their age group made an appearance at some point!

Pretty much.  Rocco played the married guy Dorothy had an affair with, much to Sophia's disapproval, and Coe played Rose's boyfriend who retired and initially bored her by doing nothing and then wanted her to sail around the world with him.

• Love 2

Theodore Bikel has passed away at the age of 91.  He originated the role of Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music on Broadway, and also played Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof more than 2,200 times.  He was nominated for both Tony and Oscar awards.

On television, Bikel made hundreds of appearances, co-starring as Henry Kissinger in the 1989 ABC miniseries The Final Days and guesting on shows as diverse as The Twilight Zone, Gunsmoke, All in the Family, Law & Order, JAG, Colombo and Star Trek: The Next Generation. He had recurring roles on the primetime soaps Dynasty and Falcon Crest.

I remember Bikel's AitF appearance.  He played a butcher who fell in love with Edith Bunker, and later married a woman who was her spitting image (also played by Jean Stapleton, of course).

• Love 3

Theodore Bikel has passed away at the age of 91.  He originated the role of Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music on Broadway, and also played Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof more than 2,200 times.  He was nominated for both Tony and Oscar awards.

'Fiddler On the Roof' is my all time favorite movie and while Topol will always be my ultimate Tevye there's no denying the impact Theodore Bikel had on the role.  RIP, good sir.

Bobbi Kristina Brown has passed away :(. Just heard the news via Billboard on Twitter. May she rest in peace.

Another article about her passing.

Nothing but a relief now.  RIP.

She's with her mamma now.   May they both find the peace they could never find in this life.

Bobby with a Y is likely going to the hot place, if you believe in that stuff, so that betters their chances.

• Love 2
(edited)

Poor Bobbi Kristina. Her life was heartbreaking, from start to finish, whether it was dealing her trainwreck parents and the fame that came with them (the good, the bad and the crazy), their "reality" show Being Bobby Brown, in which they embarrassed themselves and her, her mother's death or her involvement with Nick Gordon. That being said, my heart goes out to the family in general and to Bobby brown in particular. Losing a child is one of the worst things in the world and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Losing her mother must have hurt Bobbi Kristina so badly that she not only never recovered, it left her vulnerable to Nick Gordon, whom I believe is an opportunist who took advantage of Bobbi Kristina at the worst time of her life, took advantage of her and ultimately either killed her himself or had something to do with her death. If Nick was involved in Bobbi Kristina's murder, I hope that he not only goes to prison, I hope that he'll live with the guilt of what he's done for the rest of his hopefully very short life.

RIP,  Bobbi Kristina. You're now back in your mother's-and God's-arms, where you are truly safe, at long last.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
Bobby with a Y is likely going to the hot place, if you believe in that stuff, so that betters their chances.

If there' a hell, I'm guessing Whitney is fighting back flames because I hold her just as responsible for her daughter's fate as "Bobby with a Y."

• Love 1

Nothing but a relief now.  RIP.

I'm giving no prizes for how either of them 'parented' Bobbi Kristina but can we hope/pray that this will be  major wakeup call for  Bobby [with- a- y]] and he will consider ALL the stuff that happened to his late daughter to spur him to ensure that his months' old baby daughter will NEVER be exposed to the same stuff that its no good for any child to have to witness?Oh, and I hope there's a very thorough investigation to any possible assaults  that led to that vegetative state.  If somehow some parent out there [especially Bobby-with-a-y] can learn how NOT to parent their child from this tragic outcome, it will at least mean that some good came from all this waste and sadness.

• Love 1

Aw no, I am so sorry to hear that.  I still remember how Small Sacrifices made a long trip in the back of a minivan just fly by - hell,  I could hardly even tear myself away from it during the rest stops. I went on to read everything else she wrote.  I sent her a fan letter once and she actually wrote back, and you know she had to get tons of fan mail.  RIP, and I hope my idea of heaven is true: you get to find out the secret of every unsolved mystery.

• Love 1