Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Boseman had some issues with the way Reggie Porter was written using racial stereotypes. In the “All My Children” storyline, Reggie was a young gang member who was adopted by Erica Kane (Susan Lucci) and her husband, Jackson Montgomery (Walt Willey). Boseman did not agree with how the writers wanted to portray Reggie on the program, and he wrestled with speaking up or not, a major decision considering “All My Children” was his first acting credit.

The writer of that article didn't quite do his research. The Reggie character was not adopted by Erica Kane. Erica and Jackson Montgomery were not married when Jackson alone adopted Reggie.

Jordan replaced Boseman as Reggie and ended up staying with “All My Children” for nearly three years.

I guess it worked out for Michael B. Jordan in the long run but the character was still problematic as Reggie was used to put the Jackson Montgomery character into a White savior position. Reggie pretty much had to keep proving he was "worthy" and a lot of AMC fans didn't care for it. By this point in the show's history, its creator Agnes Nixon was no longer involved in its writing or production, and many felt if she had been Reggie's storyline would not have played out in such a stereotypical way.

I think Chadwick Boseman was probably not ever intended to be long in the Reggie role and that TPTB really wanted a younger actor to play out the storyline they intended for the character. Boseman did look a lot younger than his age but he wasn't passing for a high school-aged kid, especially after the audience realized he was actually in his late twenties. No shade on him since he eventually went on to do much bigger and better things, but sometimes an actor might not be right for a particular role even if they're initially hired for it. Soaps recast characters a lot, though within a week of the character showing up is unusual.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

For teens/adults in pools, no.  Kids in pools, yes.  Anyone out in the lake or ocean if there's no lifeguard, yes. 

I know two colleagues swim in their pools every morning (well, most mornings; even in L.A. sometimes the weather interferes) as their exercise, and they both live alone, so I highly doubt they're hiring someone to come watch them every morning on the off chance they trip, hit their head, and become incapacitated.  So I don't think this poor author or her husband did anything wrong.

Agreed and according to this she tripped and fell into the pool so there's no need to chide her for swimming alone because she wasn't: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/2020/09/08/best-selling-true-crime-author-shanna-hogan-dies-pol-accident/5753738002/

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read two places that Ms. Hogan was swimming. I don’t think the investigation is complete yet, but, regardless, I sympathize with the family. Water safety is important for everyone.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/09/author-shanna-hogan-38-dies-after-drowning-in-front-of-son/

That article cites her obituary as where they got that info from, but if you click the link to it that they include it says "Shanna Marie Hogan, 38, died Sept. 1, 2020 of a brain injury following a fall and pool accident at her Phoenix home. Her heart, kidneys and liver were given to four people who husband Matt LaRussa hopes to meet one day -- "I wanted as much of her in this world as possible." So even their own source doesn't say she was swimming.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

For teens/adults in pools, no.  Kids in pools, yes.  Anyone out in the lake or ocean if there's no lifeguard, yes. 

I know two colleagues swim in their pools every morning (well, most mornings; even in L.A. sometimes the weather interferes) as their exercise, and they both live alone, so I highly doubt they're hiring someone to come watch them every morning on the off chance they trip, hit their head, and become incapacitated.  So I don't think this poor author or her husband did anything wrong.

Yes, you’re taught to not swim alone in the pool when you’re an actual child, that’s not a thing for adults. I live alone and have a pool. If I didn’t swim alone, I’d never get to use it.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, you’re taught to not swim alone in the pool when you’re an actual child, that’s not a thing for adults. I live alone and have a pool. If I didn’t swim alone, I’d never get to use it.

And gyms with pools don't usually have lifeguards on duty unless the time period is expressly set aside for kid/family pool playtime. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am shocked though, about not being taught to never swim alone.  Maybe, it's because I grew up near a large lake and in a coastal state, NC, but, never swimming alone, whether pool or otherwise was a huge safety precaution we were taught from a very young age.  But, as you say, perhaps, she was walking near the edge of the pool when she slipped and fell in.  

Out of curiosity, how common was it for people to have backyard pools? Where I am only swimming when two adults are around just isn’t practical. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

Out of curiosity, how common was it for people to have backyard pools? Where I am only swimming when two adults are around just isn’t practical. 

Do you mean in general? It depends on location (warm climate vs cold), wealth of the people in the neighborhood, etc. A google map shot of a typical suburban neighborhood in the south will yield a pool at just about every house.

Just now, kariyaki said:

Do you mean in general? It depends on location (warm climate vs cold), wealth of the people in the neighborhood, etc. A google map shot of a typical suburban neighborhood in the south will yield a pool at just about every house.

No. I meant @SunnyBeBe specifically. I was wondering if where people swim played a role in the never swim alone rule. 

10 hours ago, Dani said:

No. I meant @SunnyBeBe specifically. I was wondering if where people swim played a role in the never swim alone rule. 

I don't think so.  This precaution is taught by the American Red Cross and YMCA.   Many people in the south have pools in their backyard, but, whether it's the lake, ocean or backyard pool, never swim without a buddy was very common. But, as far as Ms. Hogan, who is recently deceased, there is some uncertainty as to whether she was in the water, slipped and fell or near the edge of the pool, slipped and fell into water.  Her 18 month-old son was in a safety vest, so, that fact may help them come to a determination.  It's a very tragic thing.  I hope that it may bring attention to water and pool safety.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
10 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Not Mrs. Peel! NO!!!!

She was stunning &cool and stayed that way to the end! RIP, Miss Rigg!

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Not Mrs. Peel! NO!!!!

She was stunning &cool and stayed that way to the end! RIP, Miss Rigg!

She died from cancer that was diagnosed in March.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/british-actress-diana-rigg-82-passed-away-report-641831

1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

The textbook definition of a Dame. R.I.P.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Diana Rigg, one of my first crushes, has died. She was 82. She was a brilliant actress. I adored her in everything I saw her in. Damn. 

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Diana Rigg as Mrs. Peel.   After watching The Avengers reruns during my school days, all us girls would copy Mrs. Peel's moves on the playground.  2020 has long overstayed it's welcome.   Whoever it was tagged to offer themselves as sacrifice, do your duty and jump in the damn volcano already.  

R.I.P. Dame Diana.  

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This precaution is taught by the American Red Cross and YMCA.   Many people in the south have pools in their backyard, but, whether it's the lake, ocean or backyard pool, never swim without a buddy was very common.

When I was growing up, once we hit our teens, no one cared if we were swimming alone or not.  Almost everyone in my neighborhood had a pool in the backyard, and none of us worried about swimming without a buddy.  No one taught us this precaution, but then, none of us took swimming lessons anywhere, we just learned in our pools.

2 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

This absolutely shocked me when I read it.  The thought of a world without Diana Rigg - ugh!

And we just lost Honor Blackman in April! Both former Bond girls and partners of John Steed on The Avengers series, Honor being the first as Cathy Gale followed by Rigg's Emma Peel.

51lPvjZsK-L._AC_.jpg.049235cc0cb30f17edcaf315c2cd7cff.jpg

Patrick-Macnee-and-Diana-Rigg-the-avengers-tv-series-43182022-634-514.jpg.1b8a5014b9a6b8ac9eb35c4fc93b4c9c.jpg

And while Honor was the original, the seasons with Diana were the ones shown in America and I think she was the inspiration for Marvel Comics' Black Widow going from this look in the 60s:

Black-Widow-Marvel-Comics-Natalia-Romanova-2.jpg.53183ff928e4d577e9ce8f0fa4ee1e9c.jpg

to this in 1970:Black-Widow-Marvel-Comics-Natalia-Romanova-3-m.jpg.5a3b1aba45da92c6191eea7e8dc52022.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."

The best character on Game of Theones who escaped getting her character being ruined. RIP Queen of Thorns.

That may be my favorite line from GOT. Here's a compilation of some of her best lines.

• Love 12
On 8/28/2020 at 6:49 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I was thinking seizures and brain damage.  I didn't realize it was this type of thing.  Thanks for the info. 

In general, when an obit seems to be conspicuously not mentioning cause of death (rather than indicating it is unknown) or is super vague about the circumstances, that almost always means it was suicide and the publication is attempting to prevent copycats.

• Useful 3

Re: Diana Rigg's passing:

I was looking at the wires last night when I saw her name listed - but the word, "obit" was not there so I hoped against hope she wasn't dead.

Unfortunately, the worst was confirmed and we added it last minute (many of the kids I work with never saw the Avengers TV series but knew her only from GOT).  

My father had a lifelong crush on her!!  He loved the Avengers when it first came on US TV and made me a fan of it too!  He always preferred the Emma Peel years, so for a birthday present some years ago, I bought him a DVD collection containing only those Avengers episodes.  He loved it and we often watched together!  I asked him what would he do if he ever had the opportunity to meet her in person;  he said he'd probably faint!!  My Dad was definitely NOT the fainting sort!

He used to tell me how the character of Mrs. Peel was the yardstick which many women were compared to - smart, beautiful and sophisticated.  Not to mention she didn't have to be rescued every 5 minutes either!  When Rigg left the show, my Dad was bummed but continued to watch the show and the sequel series, but it was never the same.  Whenever he reminisced about her departure, he always seemed like he was in mourning! 

I had seen her from time to time in other roles, and she shined in all of them, but Mrs. Peel will forever linger in our hearts and minds!       

RIP Ms. Rigg.  

• Love 11

With Denis Quilley's death in 2003, the main male cast of Evil Under the Sun had all died, while the female main cast were still alive.  This held until Sylvia Miles's death in 2019.  With Diana Rigg leaving us, now there are three:  Maggie Smith, Jane Birkin, and Emily Hone.  I usually watch  Evil Under the Sun every summer but this year has been one continuous season with different backdrops.  But now I'll make a point to watch in tribute. 

I also loved Diana Rigg in Mother Love on Mystery.  Helena's constant unhinged rants about Vesey's (ex husband) bastards and whore (second wife) to her own (and Vesey's) son were something to behold.  

Still, it's Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in The Avengers that truly held my heart.  

• Love 9

My first exposure to Dame Diana was Evil Under the Sun trading pointed barbs with Maggie Smith.  It's such campy excellence between the clothes and the Cole Porter soundtrack.  I shall watch too.  She also did an excellent protrayal of Miss Danvers in a 90s Masterpiece theater adaptation of Rebecca, which I just remembered since it's getting another reboot soon.  RIP one true queen!

One of my favorite Olenna scenes is her in season three disparaging the Tyrell house words Growing Strong.

• Love 7

I was so sad today to see the news about Diana Rigg.  What a  brilliant actress.  I had only just seen her this year in the wonderful comedy Detectorists,  as the mother of the character played by Rachel Stirling, her real daughter.    I recommend seeing her in it, preferably on Acorn which has all 3 seasons (she is in the second and third).  There is also an interview with her in which she says she is happy to still be working.  So classy.

Rest in peace Dame Diana.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, kittykat said:

My first exposure to Dame Diana was Evil Under the Sun trading pointed barbs with Maggie Smith.  It's such campy excellence between the clothes and the Cole Porter soundtrack.  I shall watch too.  She also did an excellent protrayal of Miss Danvers in a 90s Masterpiece theater adaptation of Rebecca, which I just remembered since it's getting another reboot soon.  RIP one true queen!

One of my favorite Olenna scenes is her in season three disparaging the Tyrell house words Growing Strong.

I love when she said the House Stark motto "Winter is Coming" in a Yorkshire accents just like most Northerners on the show(and she is actually from Yorkshire)!

Charles Dance(Tywin Lannister) was also I'm that adaptation of REBECCA as Maxim.

I liked seeing her show up as Alex Kingston's mom in 1996's of "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders"

DianaRigg-1996-MollFlanders.jpg.dfd85be85424504b4fc287177649e544.jpg

Looking that picture up I found out it was  Daniel Craig who played Kingston's lover!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 17
On 9/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, catlover79 said:

I actually knew Diana Rigg first and best from her role in The Great Muppet Caper. May she RIP. ❤

Like the rest of you, I won't be sorry to see 2020 end. Enough is enough!! 😠😠😠😠😠

Even as a kid I thought her and Charles Grodin being siblings was as believable as Kermit and Fozzie being identical twins in the movie!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Llywela said:

Diana Rigg's final TV performance was in the new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small, which is currently airing in the UK - she made her first appearance as Mrs Pumphrey just this week. 😞 

I saw a preview of that on PBS! That's definitely something to look forward to! 

Yeah, it takes a special performer to play the role of a very intelligent and shrewd person who ALSO insists on living in their own world and having others be fellow inmates/visitors- yet stay a sympathetic, likable and hilarious character. The renowned Margaretta Scott (whose own career from being a  stunning ingenue to playing a fun-loving old lady is quite something to consider) did a fantastic job with it from 1978-1990 and I'd like to believe she's now congratulating Dame Diana on taking up the mantle. 

BTW, the author Mr. Herriot said that the actual inspiration for Mrs. Pomphrey was one of the few who not only lived to see the books published, but knew she had inspired that marvelous character and was disappointed  when the character was absent from individual stories because 'there's nothing to LARFF at'. Yep, she'd definitely had her fun! 

I can't help but think that Dame Diana's stint as Mrs. Peel of someone who had unbelievable situations and did unbelievable behavior yet who WHOLLY believed  in what she was doing and the world she was in helped her hone this character and what a glorious swansong this appears to have been. 

RIP, Dame Diana and Miss Scott! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Sex researcher Shere Hite, author of The Hite Report, has died at the age of 77.

I have the original Hite Report, and have an autographed copy of The Hite Report On the Family: Growing Up Under Patriarchy.  I didn't know she was going to be doing a reading and signing (of a limited edition) at my favorite feminist bookstore (this was the mid-90s, back when such stores existed) and just happened to come in at the right time.  She left the U.S. not long after (because, as the BBC obituary relates, she was subject to sustained harassment, including death threats, for her work), so I'm glad I had that opportunity.

• Useful 1
On 9/11/2020 at 3:11 AM, Llywela said:

Diana Rigg's final TV performance was in the new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small, which is currently airing in the UK - she made her first appearance as Mrs Pumphrey just this week. 😞 

J just watched a preview.  It felt so wrong, not because of the actors, but the music  😞  

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

From VarietyAl Kasha, Oscar-Winning Songwriter of ‘The Morning After’, Dead at 83

No cause of death was given in the obit, but it does say he had Parkinson’s Disease.

According to this article from Washington Post, it was indeed Parkinson's disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/al-kasha-songwriter-whose-poseidon-adventure-ballad-went-to-no-1-dies-at-83/2020/09/15/1b95dc10-f756-11ea-be57-d00bb9bc632d_story.html