Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

My first thought after NOOOOOO!!! was "But who is Mel Brooks going to hang out with now?" 98 and still sharp is a miracle, certainly more than most of us can hope for, but I'm choking up because what really touched me was his lifelong friendship with Mel.

• Love 18

A friend and I were talking this past weekend, wondering what famous person would die around the Fourth, since it is our belief that someone famous always dies at the time of national holidays,  and now this news about Carl Reiner.  My absolute favorite TV show ever is The Dick Van Dyke Show (my username is a small tribute to it) and I'm going to start a re-watch in Carl Reiner's memory.  I loved him on Twitter too.  He gave us so much laughter, something we can really use today.  Certainly 98 is a full life, but I can't help but think damn it 2020! 

• Love 8

Aw, I was just thinking about Carl Reiner a few nights ago, because I watched Slums of Beverly Hills for the first time in many years, and had forgotten he played the uncle.

He directed one of my favorite films, All of Me

He also directed a stupid silly film, Summer School (in which he also appears, playing the teacher who quits), that I have watched so many times I can recite along verbatim.  And he and Mark Harmon sat down years later to record a commentary track for the DVD.  It's quite funny.

• Love 10
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He also directed a stupid silly film, Summer School (in which he also appears, playing the teacher who quits), that I have watched so many times I can recite along verbatim.  And he and Mark Harmon sat down years later to record a commentary track for the DVD.  It's quite funny.

It was a FUNNY Stupid silly film! And I'd forgotten that Carl was the teacher who won the lottery, so he didn't have to teach Summer School and he quit! I just rewatched that recently.

I'll have to watch it again to listen to the commentary now.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
(edited)

Many awesome stories about Carl floating around from those who are famous and those who are not. This one is delightful it’s a long thread so if you want to see jt you have to click below. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

That picture of Carl in Franklin Leonard's tweet is awesome :).

41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Many awesome stories about Carl floating around from those who are famous and those who are not. This one is delightful it’s a long thread so if you want to see jt you have to click below. 

As is that story. 

I always love reading tributes from people when someone as iconic as Carl Reiner passes on, because it really shows just how far and wide their influence and inspiration reached, and it's amazing to think of all the people who wouldn't be where they are now without people like Reiner paving the way. Plus, when the person is as cool and kind and admirable as Reiner, it's just always nice to hear the good stories about them, too :). In a time when it seems we're just hearing about so many shitty celebrities, it's nice to be reminded of the good ones that did (and do) exist out there. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Reiner. Thank you so much for all the humor and inspiration. He left one hell of an amazing legacy behind. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 17

The tributes today have been lovely, and I'm still reading through them, but these two are among my favorites so far:

Lovely man and will be greatly missed. I hope Mel has a backup Jeopardy buddy.

• LOL 9
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Here it is:

Love this. I would have paid a monthly fee to hear Carl and Mel Brooks commentary tracks on modern movies!

I'm picturing Carl and Mel as a live action Stadler and Waldorf. ☺ Best friends for 70 years? Wow. Thank you for all the laughs, Mr. Reiner. 🙏

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming is another great one.

The morning after the school where I teach shut down this March, I went into my office to collect a few more papers I would need to work from home.  Because the announcement about classes being cancelled was ambiguously worded on the school website (Side note -  Me: "You can't possibly screw up a simple statement like  'All on-site classes are cancelled until further notice'  ".  My university's communications team:  "Hold our beer.") there were quite a few students milling about, unsure whether classes were really cancelled or not.   In the hallway I encountered a small gaggle of my students who were on their way to my office to seek clarification.  When I saw them, out of the blue what came out of my mouth in my best fake Russian accent was "Emergency! Emergency! Everybody to get from street."  I can't say that my channeling a movie produced before their parents were born did a lot to reduce my students' confusion, but it inspired me to spend a few minutes of early lock-down time googling "The Russians Are Coming" and watching clips on youtube.  Carl Reiner, Alan Arkin, Johnathan Winters, Brian Kieth ...  best movie ever. 

Also, the tweet with the photo of 95 year old Reiner taking a knee...   I'm a wreck now.

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Thanks once again for posting Ken Levine's tributes.  They're always so wonderful.

2 hours ago, ABay said:

The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming is another great one.

I love The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming!  Carl Reiner is so good as 'Whittaker Walt'. 

We've lost another of the great ones of television.  R.I.P. Carl Reiner and thank you. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Until I saw the 1970 Robert Altman movie I didn't know the theme originally had lyrics. The song "Suicide is Painless" is kind of melancholy but the TV show always ended with that upbeat version of the theme! 

Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks doing the "2000 Year Old Man" in the 60s:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, forumfish said:

I loved Carl Reiner as Alan Brady on The Dick Van Dyke Show. Especially the first episode of Season 5, "Coast to Coast Big Mouth." You can watch it for free on demand at Pluto TV.

That's one of 2 Dick Van Dyke Show episodes that CBS will be showing on Friday night, as a tribute to the great Carl Reiner.  

If you ever get your hands on the DVDs for that show, listen to the commentary on the season 4 episode "Baby Fat."  Carl, as Alan Brady, gets Rob (Dick Van Dyke) to doctor the script for a play Alan Brady is in.  The commentary is Carl and Dick Van Dyke talking about script doctors (and other aspects of the episode), and it is very entertaining.  They continue to talk beyond the running time of the episode.  I remember the first time I listened to the commentary, I didn't want it to end.  I wanted those two long-time friends to continue their conversation.

• Love 13
On 6/30/2020 at 12:38 PM, ABay said:

My first thought after NOOOOOO!!! was "But who is Mel Brooks going to hang out with now?" 98 and still sharp is a miracle, certainly more than most of us can hope for, but I'm choking up because what really touched me was his lifelong friendship with Mel.

I thought of Mel right away too!  For all that Carl Reiner accomplished, the story of their continuing friendship at each other's homes in recent years was so touching and sweet.

Rest in peace Mr. Reiner and thanks for everything

• Love 15
On 6/30/2020 at 8:29 PM, Hooper said:

When I saw them, out of the blue what came out of my mouth in my best fake Russian accent was "Emergency! Emergency! Everybody to get from street."  I can't say that my channeling a movie produced before their parents were born did a lot to reduce my students' confusion, but it inspired me to spend a few minutes of early lock-down time googling "The Russians Are Coming" and watching clips on youtube.  Carl Reiner, Alan Arkin, Johnathan Winters, Brian Kieth ...  best movie ever. 

Youtube clip.  I saw the movie in a theater with my family when it came out in 1966.  We all laughed so hard!  Watching it as an adult years later, I was pleased to see how well it held up!

On 6/30/2020 at 7:05 PM, forumfish said:

I loved Carl Reiner as Alan Brady on The Dick Van Dyke Show. Especially the first episode of Season 5, "Coast to Coast Big Mouth." You can watch it for free on demand at Pluto TV.

My favorite episode!  I watched it twice on Tuesday.  ❤️

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Youtube clip.  I saw the movie in a theater with my family when it came out in 1966.  We all laughed so hard!  Watching it as an adult years later, I was pleased to see how well it held up!

My favorite episode!  I watched it twice on Tuesday.  ❤️

Here! Here! 

Mr. Reiner was a superb comedian in addition to being a diligent writer and producer!

Or should I say:

"HAIR! HAIR!HAIR!"

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Here! Here! 

Mr. Reiner was a superb comedian in addition to being a diligent writer and producer!

Or should I say:

"HAIR! HAIR!HAIR!"

I always wondered if that moment when he says "Grrrr!" into the phone before hanging it up was adlibbed.  Coast to Coast Bigmouth is just full of great lines and physical comedy.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Sad of course, but to me, that is not too much of a blow; the reason why is because he had a long good life, and it had to happen sometime (albeit I hoped he would be a centenarian just like all those ones of that type on which he reported from time to time on 20/20); still, 99 is great, and I wish we could all live to that age.

This is how I will always remember him, and I'm sure that heaven above will have this for him and Barbara when Barbara passes on:

abc20201986.jpg

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I remember seeing Downs and Walters together all the time on TV as a kid. They made a good team. 

May he rest in peace. 

I remember Hugh Downs as an early host of Concentration in the 1960s, but even though he had as much or more of a career away from news as in it, I always think of him as a newsman.  

• Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From VarietyJohnny Mandel, Composer of M*A*S*H Theme, Dead at 94

He’s survived by his daughter, Marissa. No cause of death was given.

The cause of death most likely was old age.   

Another The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming link.   Johnny Mandel mixed pre-existing compositions with his own to create the music for that great title sequence.  His entire contributions to the film are discussed here: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/russians_are_coming.html

Truly a wonderful composer.  R.I.P. Mr. Mandel.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Sad of course, but to me, that is not too much of a blow; the reason why is because he had a long good life, and it had to happen sometime (albeit I hoped he would be a centenarian just like all those ones of that type on which he reported from time to time on 20/20); still, 99 is great, and I wish we could all live to that age.

Someone on social media noted Hugh Downs of 20/20 died in the year 2020.  It's exactly the sort of tidbit Downs himself would have made.  R.I.P. Hugh Downs.  

• Love 23
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I remember seeing Downs and Walters together all the time on TV as a kid. They made a good team. 

May he rest in peace. 

Agreed. The only reason I watched 20/20 as a kid was because it was on right after the TGIF shows on Friday nights. I don't remember any of the stories they did, but I always loved the grandfatherly vibe I got from him. RIP to this classy gentleman. "We'll be in touch so you'll be in touch." 

• Love 10

One of Hugh Downs's earliest TV gigs was as the announcer for the then-hot live puppet show Kukla, Fran, and Ollie broadcast nationwide from (of all places) Chicago which was not only beloved by children nationwide but also by such wordly adults as Orson Welles and Tallulah Bankhead (who especially liked Ollie's vocal impression of her) and frequently, Kukla or Ollie would address the off-camera Mr. Downs as another member of their Kuklapolitan Players (like Fran Allison was). 

Obviously, he moved onto other gigs. Most notably  on 20/20 in which he usually just introduced stories but occasionally still did stories for them. One of the most memorable ones was his story about Centenarians from Georgia,USA. that were part of a  geriatric study c. 1991. Those who were shown still had very sharp memories and amazingly positive attitudes despite often having lost loved ones. Perhaps the most moving part of this piece was when he interviewed a Mrs. Mary Elliott (aged 102) who had just lost her 77-year-old daughter Josephine  to a heart attack the day before the interview. Mrs. Elliott poignantly recalled how  her daughter would lay her head on her cradle as a toddler and say 'Now, Dear God, let's go to sleep!'. Then reasoned not only did her daughter feel safe and protected believing God was with her while she was ready to fall asleep but, all those years later, Mrs. Elliott  took comfort in that she herself had just given back to God the precious gift He'd given to her !

Well, Mr. Downs made it to 99 but I can't help but wonder if he didn't take any lessons in how to adjust to extreme old age from his time with these centenarians (possibly hoping to make it to 100). One year short is STILL quite an achievement! 

On a  somewhat shallower note, IMO, his innate likability kept that show afloat and viewers tuning in  despite the viewers having to endure the IMO somewhat unlikable, pompous and affected  Barbara Walters.

RIP, Mr. Downs! 

• Love 12
On 6/30/2020 at 12:38 PM, ABay said:

It's like a marriage for them. They have both been widowers for over a decade.

Mel's son talked about his father's reaction to Carl's death.

www.forward.com/culture/449943/mel-brooks-doesnt-know-how-hes-doing-after-losing-carl-reiner-says-son-max/

And the last quote from Mel is heartbreaking:

“No more Carl? How do you reconcile no more Carl? It’s like you wake up in the morning and the sun never comes up.”

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

“No more Carl? How do you reconcile no more Carl? It’s like you wake up in the morning and the sun never comes up.”

...oh...:(

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

It's like a marriage for them. They have both been widowers for over a decade.

Mel's son talked about his father's reaction to Carl's death.

www.forward.com/culture/449943/mel-brooks-doesnt-know-how-hes-doing-after-losing-carl-reiner-says-son-max/

It also has to have been a horrible shock to have witnessed the actual passing (even via social media) but at least via that Mr. Reiner likely knew he wasn't alone when he left this world. 

I hope somehow Mr. Brooks can take comfort in the fact that he DID make his lifelong friend laugh virtually every time they were together. In fact, his late wife Anne Bancroft said that the reason she married HIM( despite at that time  of their courtship being a stunningly beautiful, intelligent and super talented performer who could have had virtually any interested man) was because she could count on him making her laugh and she said that she looked forward to him coming home so she could say 'Oh,boy the party's starting!' 

• Love 15

How is it that I only just realized (i.e. paid attention) that Carl Reiner directed one of my favorite silly movies -- Summer Rental.  Now I can explain my irrational love for it.

• Love 7

Aw, damn. I knew as time went on his chances weren't good, but you still hold out hope anyway. He put up one hell of a fight. 

Condolences to his family and friends. 

• Love 5