Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Full Inmate

• Start Topic

Tami is right. She's not a sheep, she's an asshole.

How dare these women not recognize that her foster care blues are the bluest blues that ever blued and commence to bowing down to her. Barbra has lived a charmed life, how dare the women take to her and not Tami. It couldn't be because Barbra isn't acting like dickwad constantly causing kerfuffles.

Tami lacks the ability to just be easy. Everyone there needs to give her constant tongue baths (no pun) and because they don't they're all out to get her? And to offer to buy birthday supplies only to snatch them back like a child? Fuck off lady.

The only reason she's paid any attention at all in the outside world is because she has a uniform and a gun.

• Love 16

Tami has come completely unglued and now the real inmates are the ones who sound sane and reasonable when trying to deal with her.  I would not have put my money on her to be the first person to lose it halfway through.  What a freaking baby she turned out to be, taking her toys and going home, over absolutely nothing.  Real nice thing to do for the one woman in the pod she likes and believes has been putting in a lot of work to become a better person.  It will crack me up if both Barbara and Maryum answered "Tami" at the end, when the warden asked what the biggest problem was in the jail during their stay.

Oh, I hope that wasn't really poor, unsuspecting Jeff getting beaten down by the person who believes everything the TV voices tell him.  How terrifying, and especially that it was so obvious what was coming that even the pod leader tried to nip it in the bud.  With every episode, I think more and more that I would be like Jeff in this experiment, mistaking people using me as kindness, and thinking I was making progress fitting in, while some delusional rabid wolf paces in the corner, frothing at the mouth to kill me.

Isaiah doesn't seem to be doing anything but letting the clock run out.  I'm not sure this is going to actually impact his life at all.

Dr. Chapman seemed to be struggling to find the most diplomatic and professional way to say Robert isn't crazy, he's just a giant asshole.

• Love 20

Does the white towel mean that

Barbra

wants out?

(Post spoiler-tagged (and quote edited with same) due to speculation based, in part, on the preview clip; if this is unnecessary, my apologies and Jesus (mods) fix it, please! But, I figured I'd rather err in that direction than the other)

Yeah*, but Isiah also gave [the other, verbal version of] the code, and they talked him into staying, so we already know it doesn't mean an automatic DQ, so to speak; I'm thinking she'll be back.

*And/but, also, it was described as "towel around neck, and THEN PACE AROUND THE POD," NOT "and then sit your ass on the bed": inasmuch as the alleged foreshadowing of this (the "I'm so sad and alone and now I'm fighting with my husband who, have I mentioned, IS A SOLDIER" soliloquy of sad) ALSO shows her with her TOWEL ON HER HEAD, I'm wondering if, maybe, the dropping her towel to around her neck (sans pacing) isn't just a natural move from towel-on-head to -on-shoulders (-on-knees and -on-toes, -on-knees and -on-toes...)? She seems pretty all-in at this point (and ... not that bright ...); I could see her easily doing it as the natural act it appears to be without thinking of how it could be misinterpreted (or, not considering it, as it DOES NOT MATCH the specific act we were specifically told the infakes were instructed to do to communicate their desire to be pulled).

Regardless, I'm not buying that she's leaving. Li'l Miss Honor In God And Country ain't no quitter, whether it's wrt getting refunds for bad America-Hater singers, [re]self-publishing crappy books, or letting Tami outlast her as a fake inmate.

(I will gladly eat my words next week if everything I've speculated here turns out to be as off as Robert).

• Love 4

It amazes me that Jeff wants to be a correctional officer.  He's like the Stay-puft marshmallow man.  I can just imagine the inmates playing him, like the 2 murderers who played that woman supervisor in New York last year. He can't read people. I frequently can't, either; it's not bad or good but it can dictate some jobs you shouldn't even consider. He acts like he's already in law enforcement when all he does is watch the security monitors at the mall. Although I guess there are CO's who do nothing but watch monitors as well.

One hour of rec a week, and not even outside? And "that's the standard"? The standard where, exactly? In the Siberian gulag? I don't even like these people and I feel for them under those conditions.

I wonder if they're moving Isaiah and Zak to Robert's pod so that Robert will have at least 2 people in there who don't want to kill him. Or at least are unlikely to act on the impulse.

• Love 9

This show is fascinating. Made even better by very little Robert tonight!

I definitely didn't understand Tami's Tantrum d'jour.... she bought the stuff for the cake, and then stomped away with it when there wasn't even recognition/gratitude? or the other inmates took the stuff which she had bought? I couldn't tell if they raided everyone's stashes and most of it was hers (real or perceived) -- or if she proactively bought it for the cake.

It was nice to see Yaz/Miryam helping the one inmate with her GED studies, even if the payoff was that they had to be audience for her poem.

The no-meds guy was scary. I found it interesting that Zak's wife "had a bit of a checkered past" with drugs and alcohol. Wonder if they were together at that time, or if he met her after she got clean/sober.

• Love 8

Was Tami ever in foster care? Refresh my memory if you can.

I have to question how extensive psych evaluations are to get on the police department because Tami?? That woman is nuts. I feel for any suspect she encounters that doesn't respect her authoriTAY. Lord help anyone who doesn't spend their time in the back of her squad car weeping over her lost childhood.

The other inmates seem to leave Tami alone. She doesn't like them and they don't like her. Seems like they respect her space and let her do her own brooding thing. Why cant she leave it at that? But nooo, she has to invite herself into their reindeer games and then take her toys and stomp off like somebody stole her bike. When will these broads learn? Tami was in foster care damnit! It's not possible that any of these ladies had it rougher than Tami. Not possible that the path that led them to jail was harder for them to overcome than her foster care time. Nuh uh.

Hopefully the ladies were able to salvage some fun for Sam. I can't imagine facing something as daunting as rehab and having your head screwed up the night before by some asshole's tantrum.

• Love 16

I have to question how extensive psych evaluations are to get on the police department because Tami?? That woman is nuts. I feel for any suspect she encounters that doesn't respect her authoriTAY

They're not as extensive as police departments like to boast, lets put it that way. But... here's the thing. If Tami was walked into this unit as a corrections officer, she would probably be quite good at the job, and not despised by the inmates. Tami is one of those people who, because she has clawed herself up from nothing, thinks she is better than the people she orders around. She's falling apart here because instead of respect for her accomplishments, she's being treated like she's.... one of the inmates. And no one is acknowledging how special she is for coming from a crummy background and NOT actually being an inmate in a jail. In her mind, all of these inmates should be kissing her ass because she's better than them, Barbra, who was a sad little mouse on her first day, should be pleased and honored that Tami wanted to watch her back. And having seen Barbra's book on amazon about being a single teen mom - I also wonder if some of Tami's falling out with Barbra is over how Barbra probably doesn't embrace Tami's sexuality. I've wondered if some of the get along problems are due to Tami seeming very aggressive and butch. But slap Tami into a uniform where she can note how she raised herself up from this, and she'd probably be fine.

Hopefully the ladies were able to salvage some fun for Sam. I can't imagine facing something as daunting as rehab and having your head screwed up the night before by some asshole's tantrum.

Yeah, my heart wasn't bleeding for Sam. I didn't get a great vibe off of her.

• Love 1
(edited)

MarYaz getting along with her bunkies made me warm to her a bit more. I enjoyed not hearing about her relation to a world famous boxer every few moments.

Jeff has apparently never watched a show or a movie that was centered around a prison. EVER. Even the Orange Is The New Black inmates know that giving up your commissary makes you look weak. Someone who loved Jeff should have forced him to stream old episodes of OZ before he undertook this mission. I don't see any Schillingers or Adebisis roaming around that pod, but Jeff will wind up losing lots of weight if he continues to feed those who wish to murder him.

I'm sure that in Tami's mind she has been underappreciated her whole life because of factors beyond her control. People didn't like her because she was short. Or because of her background in foster care. Or because she's gay. Or because she's a no-nonsense woman who isn't afraid to play with the big boys.

In a few years when she's being ignored and unappreciated, she will believe it's because she's old.

If Tami wasn't so darned unappreciated, someone might have the heart to tell that her problems stem from her compulsive, yapping assholism. Her attention-seeking is constant. The attention received may be negative, but to someone like Tami, any attention is good attention.

She makes Robert seem well-adjusted.

Edited by eXiled
  • Love 8
(edited)

Was Tami ever in foster care? Refresh my memory if you can.

I have to question how extensive psych evaluations are to get on the police department because Tami?? That woman is nuts. I feel for any suspect she encounters that doesn't respect her authoriTAY. Lord help anyone who doesn't spend their time in the back of her squad car weeping over her lost childhood.

The other inmates seem to leave Tami alone. She doesn't like them and they don't like her. Seems like they respect her space and let her do her own brooding thing. Why cant she leave it at that? But nooo, she has to invite herself into their reindeer games and then take her toys and stomp off like somebody stole her bike. When will these broads learn? Tami was in foster care damnit! It's not possible that any of these ladies had it rougher than Tami. Not possible that the path that led them to jail was harder for them to overcome than her foster care time. Nuh uh.

AGREED!. You know Brooklynista, I as well found myself wondering how she is on the job. She must be one of those officers that when she tells you to jump, you better damn well ask, how high? I don't even get why she grabbed the stuff she bought for the cake and stomped off. Maybe because when she offered to buy it, she expected everyone then to kiss her feet, to rally around her and want to hang with her and make her the leader of the pact. So when nothing changed, she snatched her goodies back. I wouldn't like her either. She stands around looking like a mental patient and then goes off for unprovoked reasons. If she was in the men's section, someone would have already beat that arse! Edited by lasandi
  • Love 9

Let me ask this another way:

I know a volunteer can get immediate help by mentioning the word "coffee", as in hot coffee, good coffee or something like that. Are there any other words or actions which indicate to the producers that a volunteer is needing help?

• Love 1

There is something "off" about Jeff, the way he moves, looks at people, etc.  He is in his own little world, tries to fit in the surroundings, but cannot read the most basic social situation.  it doesn't surprise me that he got picked on as a youngster.

He is not, in my opinion, fit for a career where you need to exercise authority on other people, and deal with group dynamics.

He should concentrate on solitary work.

• Love 8

AGREED!. You know Brooklynista, I as well found myself wondering how she is on the job. She must be one of those officers that when she tells you to jump, you better damn well ask, how high? I don't even get why she grabbed the stuff she bought for the cake and stomped off. Maybe because when she offered to buy it, she expected everyone then to kiss her feet, to rally around her and want to hang with her and make her the leader of the pact. So when nothing changed, she snatched her goodies back. I wouldn't like her either. She stands around looking like a mental patient and then goes off for unprovoked reasons. If she was in the men's section, someone would have already beat that arse!

You know what worries me about Tami being a cop? I can totally see her being one of those dirty cops who love to mentally and physically abuse anyone who has the bad luck of having to deal with her, guilty or not. If the higher-ups in her department are watching this show, I hope they figure out a way to put her on desk duty until she can retire.

• Love 8
(edited)

Let me ask this another way:

I know a volunteer can get immediate help by mentioning the word "coffee", as in hot coffee, good coffee or something like that. Are there any other words or actions which indicate to the producers that a volunteer is needing help?

farmgal4: The volunteers have also been instructed to put a towel over their shoulders and pace around the room as a signal that they need help.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 2

There was a very telling exchange between Tami and her wife before she left. Her wife said something like "Don't get the way you can get because you're not going to have me there to help you".  So she may let work stress get to her (as it can get to anyone), but outside she's probably fine and is a decent police officer because she's got someone helping her keep her balance on a daily basis. Inside, with the trauma of growing up in a group home rising to the top (which she clearly did not expect), a phone call home is not an adequate substitute. If you compare her talking heads from the first episode to the most recent, it's definitely a picture of someone falling down the rabbit hole. She's the one who needs the psych eval.

• Love 5

Jeff has apparently never watched a show or a movie that was centered around a prison. EVER. Even the Orange Is The New Black inmates know that giving up your commissary makes you look weak. Someone who loved Jeff should have forced him to stream old episodes of OZ before he undertook this mission. I don't see any Schillingers or Adebisis roaming around that pod, but Zac will wind up losing lots of weight if he continues to feed those who wish to murder him..

This is exactly what I was thinking, anyone who has watched any type of jail or prison tv show or movie knows you get labeled a bitch for giving away your food or buying other inmates commissary. Is he really that clueless that he thinks these guys are his friends? I feel so embarrassed for the guy. I think there should be a $20 cap on commissary so people can't be taken advantage of (that much of anyway.)

Anyway, this jail is a joke. Why aren't there any guards watching the inmates? Shouldn't somebody besides the other inmates notice that this guy Ricky is losing his mind and is a danger to himself and to the people around him? Don't they check to see if the inmates shallow their pills?

Tami is an asshole. If everyone hates you maybe your the problem. She just goes around looking for trouble and it pisses her off even more that no one bothers to argue with her. I love that everyone basically ignores her.
  • Love 8

Tami is an asshole. If everyone hates you maybe your the problem. She just goes around looking for trouble and it pisses her off even more that no one bothers to argue with her. I love that everyone basically ignores her.

That's my favorite part. None of the women care enough about Tami enough to even argue/fight with her. I seriously believe she'd rather be confronted everyday then be totally isolated and ignored. It's eating away at her. Her poor wife must be extremely patient. Tami's like an overgrown kid, stunted by her childhood.

She had a rough start and a sad story, yet her determination to make every! single! thing! in! her! life! about her bad childhood is tiresome.

• Love 5

There was a very telling exchange between Tami and her wife before she left. Her wife said something like "Don't get the way you can get because you're not going to have me there to help you".  So she may let work stress get to her (as it can get to anyone), but outside she's probably fine and is a decent police officer because she's got someone helping her keep her balance on a daily basis. Inside, with the trauma of growing up in a group home rising to the top (which she clearly did not expect), a phone call home is not an adequate substitute. If you compare her talking heads from the first episode to the most recent, it's definitely a picture of someone falling down the rabbit hole. She's the one who needs the psych eval.

You know I agree with this as well. She has fallen down the rabbit hole. I had a good opinion about her based on how she was in the beginning. With each episode she seems to have changed and not in a good way. So for me, the real question is not how you act when everything is going great, but how you respond when things aren't so good. She is a police officer who is held to a higher standard because of her job. If this is her response under duress, someone like her carrying a gun is downright scarey, IMO..

• Love 7

Something else I found interesting, is that the women in the pod seem to have affectionate, supportive, and positive interactions with each other.  Barbra tapped into that.  In contrast, Tami got started immediately with an agenda of domination and power struggles, and an urgent need to be worshiped and admired.

She doesn't seem to realize what leaders are actually made of.  Leaders are people that are very invested in the social life around them, who have a high resistance to social stressors, and bring something positive to group cohesion/dynamics.  The leader of a room full of sociopaths may be bringing a different kind of "positive" to  the group than the leader of a boardroom.  I do think in both cases, it's more about influence than coercion.  Tami is all about intimidation and negative emotions.  She is highly sensitive to social stressors.  She is not someone that people would naturally want to follow, or trust to put the group's interest ahead of her own.

• Love 5

My conclusion after watching these episodes is that it's very scripted and everyone has their roles.  Most of our "volunteers" are looking for future reality tv roles or, in Robert's case, a for real acting gig.  Poor Jeff, however, is just a walking target and I think would be in real danger if the other inmates were violent offenders.

I was really hoping to see a show that was realistic but I guess the liability would be too great a risk.

Robert still gives me a creepy vibe, though. Ick.

(edited)

The one thing I noticed is the Barbara;s opinion did a complete 180. After the suicide attempt she talked about how awful the inmates had it, Before she entered the prison she was talking about how easy they had it. I think in a lot of ways its how we all talk about "the other" but once we spend some time in their shoes our opines change so just Barbara alone makes the project worth it.

I am not bad mouthing Tami. Yes the show is making her look hella creepy skulking around in corners but I will not go so far as to say what kind of cop she was. Its a completely different thing. Its a completely different environment. Being trapped in a small room without sunlight may be bring back all sorts of old ghosts that she thought she had long since gotten rid of.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Here's why it doesn't bother me that Barbra (the only IMDB I looked at), Tami and Robert may have been on other shows or movies:  The roles listed on Barbra's IMDB were all just as an extra, or a half-step above extra.  This does not make her an actor so much as it makes her someone who wants to be on camera, and if being comfortable in front of cameras is part of the reason some of these people were chosen, I don't have a problem with that.  Isaiah, Zac and Jeff certainly do not seem like famewhores or professional actors to me, and if this show was really about putting "real" actors into a scripted show that takes place in jail for 60 days, then none of these people would be there.  It's one thing to find a group of people willing to do this project, but it's another to find people who are also going to be able to do their interviews well, pretend to be inmates convincingly, not freeze up and constantly look into the cameras like deer in headlights and not panic and ruin the whole thing on day 2.  I don't think I would excel at that part of the mission; I would be hyper-aware of being filmed, and also freaked out that I would be shown on television - something I never have wanted.  Anyway, this project requires some form of acting, it's pretty much the whole plot. 

• Love 2

I agree with Chaos Theory about Tami. Foster care is hellish -- if you wanted to create a system to destroy a kid's heart and mind, you couldn't do much better. (Some foster *parents* are wonderful, but the system itself is horrible.) Many kids with terrible childhoods manage to patch themselves together by joining a quasi-family institution like the military or law enforcement. That seems to be what Tami did, and it works -- as long as the adult "family" doesn't disappear like the childhood ones did.

Barbra seems to have wonderful survival and coping skills. Good for her. It's too bad she couldn't show a bit of compassion to Tami, but that would probably take a lot of self-confidence and maturity, and it's not reasonable to expect it from her, especially when Tami is acting so scary.

I'm still puzzled by Robert. Is his act *just* an act? Or is he really a bit over the edge? In any case, he has no business in this place.

I agree with Nurse GiGi about Jeff: "Poor Jeff, however, is just a walking target and I think would be in real danger if the other inmates were violent offenders." The one who isn't taking his meds does seem quite dangerous, and I hope one or another of these "guards" -- who don't seem to guard much of anybody -- will intervene before Jeff or another person is badly hurt.

Zac is fine, of course.

Certainly this show is getting more than a bit unpleasant. The stated reason for placing these people in the jail is that they are to report back on what problems there are in the institution. But with the zillion cameras around, the authorities can easily *see* what the problems are; no need to insert innocent "spies."

So I suppose that the deal is: the sheriff gets to get his face on TV as an "innovative reformer," and the five innocents get to be on TV too. Does anyone know if they're being paid, and how much. I wouldn't do it for much less than $50k.

The sad issue is that these five were obviously not picked because they'd be good spies and reporters (except Zack, and maybe they thought Tami would be OK too). Most were picked because they looked like they'd provide delicious horrified fascination to us, the audience, as we watch them stumble and crumble. Like Fear Factor, only slimier. (So will I stop watching? Should. Might not. I'm as slimy as the next person.)

I have to believe (for the sake of my faith in humanity) that Tami was urged to drop out but refused to (especially because she wouldn't be bested by the likes of Barbra). But we're witnessing a nervous breakdown here. And she can't be enjoying the broadcast, knowing all her cop buddies, everybody she's ever arrested and every asshole teen punk she's likely to have to roust is watching.

Cops and firefighters on other shows have talked about how badly they've been roasted over their TV antics. I suspect in this case there will just be embarrassed silence. Joshing/curiosity week 1 followed by ever more increasing changing of the subject...

• Love 7

My take on some of the people:

Zac- He is the most intelligent one of the bunch. I think he would make a good DEA agent.

Robert-  Crazier than a shit-house rat

Tami-   Typical power tripping cop.

Jeff-   I don't think he would be a very good corrections officer.  Can't or won't stick up for himself.

Barbra- having a great time with her new friends.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Robert was acting crazy so they would be reluctant to put him back in the mainstream prison. I expected him to immediately put a towel over the cameras again just to get another 30 days without getting his butt kicked.

For some reason I still feel for Tami. Obviously this environment has brought up a new layer of trauma from her childhood days and she has no where to go with it. I'd go crazy in there with no sunlight or alone time. I think she is managing to feel both crowded AND lonely at the same time. I hope she gets some help when she gets out before she just buries it all again. And I don't think she went in all power trippy. I think we are getting a BS edit. The girls were way different episode 1 than they are now. And I don't know why they keep repeating her one interview over and over. It definitely makes me cringe, because repetition breeds indifference.

I'm surprised Yaz hasn't tried reaching out to Tami. Her accusation about Tami's view on black people was unfounded (based on edit), and if she has so much pride in her social work, it seems Tami needs it more than anyone in there. Yet she has nothing to do with her.

For some reason I can't stand Barbara. I try to imagine her actually associating with her new BFF's on the outside. She will go back to her snotty judgmental ways and want nothing to do with them. Or maybe she really has grown. Hell if I know. More and more this is looking so fake.

Looks like next week, she can't last a day in there alone. It's not just Tami who cracks when feeling isolated It took Tami 30 days to crack. Takes Barbara one without her buddy who went to rehab.. And her husband sounds like an ass. She calls him from jail and he complains that he is tired, and whines about the kids. Now, next week, he doesn't seem to want to hear her talking about jail at all. Maybe he just never wanted her to do this in the first place.

Anyone else think when Jeff was finally allowed to use the bathroom, that the guys letting him were going to gang up on him in there?

I get the names mixed up, but it appears that the very people Jeff has attached himself to are the ones Zac has consciously made a point to avoid. Loved how the pod boss was looking out for Jeff after stealing commissary from him. 

Zac is an idiot, too. He keeps ratting people out on camera. If ANY of this real, he is going to face some consequences for that. They didn't bring him in there to be a narc, he is supposed to be evaluating what life is like in there. Instead he just wants to catch some drug dealers and be a hero. That is NOT the kind of thing you do when you know you are on television. 

I'm guessing no one got hit in the end. I imagine it's like Naked and Afraid, where there is constantly a cliffhanger that looks like something dreadful just happened, and then absolutely nothing comes out of it after commercial break.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 1

I'm surprised Yaz hasn't tried reaching out to Tami. Her accusation about Tami's view on black people was unfounded (based on edit), and if she has so much pride in her social work, it seems Tami needs it more than anyone in there. Yet she has nothing to do with her.

I'm not. I think Yaz is taking it slow, and is a bit timid as well, and Tami is the pod's belligerent scowler. She also has no idea that Tami and Barbra are fellow participants. And near as I can tell, Tami pretty bluntly dismissed Yaz in a talking head as having an attitude.

I agree the editing is being manipulated but I define Tami as power trippy based on her little diatribe of how disappointed and angry she was that all the girls in the pod weren't coming to her to thank her for standing up to Boston. And honestly, Tami makes it pretty clear she looks down on all these woman. The only person she's treated with a modicum of respect was Barbra and that was because she sussed out that Barbra was in the project - and as soon as Barbra wasn't her loyal follower, she openly dismissed Barbra as acting like an inmate.

For some reason I can't stand Barbara.

Join the club. She's every two faced bitch. Outside she's all "those bad inmates" and the second she is inside, suddenly she's all about kindness to inmates and besties with drug addicts. She will totally revert back once she's out.

Zac is an idiot, too. He keeps ratting people out on camera. If ANY of this real, he is going to face some consequences for that. They didn't bring him in there to be a narc, he is supposed to be evaluating what life is like in there. Instead he just wants to catch some drug dealers and be a hero. That is NOT the kind of thing you do when you know you are on television.

The more I watch, the more I think he's not bright enough to be a DEA agent. Point - if he "catches the drug dealers" in this - he kinda will need to testify and he's not a cop, he's just a guy on a reality show and I seriously question the legalities surrounding this IF the show footage is used to nail all the idiots in the jail with more charges.

• Love 5

I don't think they're trying to catch drug dealers per se as much as trying to figure out how drugs are getting into the jail. We have not yet gotten to a scene teased several weeks ago where Tami and Zak say that

the drugs are coming in on the food trays

• Love 6

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that Barbra did in fact touch base with Tami at some point after the initial incident. It makes more sense than not. Maybe just a "listen, we're cool, but you have got to chill" which pissed Tami off and caused the rift we see now. That makes way more sense than Barbra cold shouldering her once and instant enmity on both sides.

And Tami, the whole point of this exercise is for Barbra to become an inmate!

What do we have to do as an audience to get Isaiah's brother and others like him a court date? 5 years without trial? How is that legal?

If he were in prison he could have personal possessions and stuff, right? Put pictures of his kids on the wall, etc? Has he been in an overcrowded room like what we're seeing here for 5 yrs?

• Love 5

2. I have met so many people like Barbra. I wouldn't be friends with her in the jail or outside of it. She totally dropped Tami as soon as she was an outcast. Her whole statement about not knowing why Tami was still mad at her was just so typical. It brings back memories of the wannabe's in high school who clung desperately to the popular kids and changed cliques on a weekly basis based on who was "in" and who was "out". They were never really in the group, but they adapted and changed themselves enough to be included and then just changed and adapted again when that group fell apart or wasn't deemed "cool" anymore. Sure, you could say it was self-preservation, but it came at the cost of having loyal and trustworthy friends that you could rely on. Barbra, in a way, is just as alone as Tami and it's starting to show in that preview for next week when her "in" group is dismantled. 

I have compassion for Tami, but if I were to spend 60 days in a group that may or may not be violent, I would not want to align myself with someone who seems to the most agitated of all of them.  "Boston" may be obnoxious but she seems much less volatile than Tami.  I don't think the normal rules apply even if this is a reality show. 

• Love 2

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that Barbra did in fact touch base with Tami at some point after the initial incident. It makes more sense than not. Maybe just a "listen, we're cool, but you have got to chill" which pissed Tami off and caused the rift we see now. That makes way more sense than Barbra cold shouldering her once and instant enmity on both sides.

And Tami, the whole point of this exercise is for Barbra to become an inmate!

What do we have to do as an audience to get Isaiah's brother and others like him a court date? 5 years without trial? How is that legal?

If he were in prison he could have personal possessions and stuff, right? Put pictures of his kids on the wall, etc? Has he been in an overcrowded room like what we're seeing here for 5 yrs?

Regarding the 5 years waiting on a trial: I have a relative in KY who has a drug possession/DUI charge. She was arrested in July 2015. She is still waiting for her case to be presented to the Grand Jury. I'm not sure what's causing the delay, but I'm betting it's because there's a huge backlog of cases. I guess that's the way it is everywhere. As long as the courts continue to treat addiction as a crime instead of a public health issue, it will always move at a snail's pace.
  • Love 5

As long as the courts continue to treat addiction as a crime instead of a public health issue, it will always move at a snail's pace.

But there is also such a thing as a constitutional right to a speedy trial:  http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-right-speedy-trial.html This isn't, as far as we know, 5 years of wrangling between the brother's lawyer and the local DA. I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't sued over something like this. I wonder if Isaiah isn't mis-stating or does not totally understand the details of his brother's case. He doesn't seem like the brightest bulb on the tree.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 8

Can someone remind me what the wording was that Tami and Barbra figured out they were both on the show? Who said what to whom? I am trying to remember how it happened, and can't risk seeing more Robert by rewatching the clips.

• Love 2

Can someone remind me what the wording was that Tami and Barbra figured out they were both on the show? Who said what to whom? I am trying to remember how it happened, and can't risk seeing more Robert by rewatching the clips.

I seem to remember Tami saying that she noticed that Barbra was wearing the white underclothing that is allowed in the jail, and that was part of her giveaway. So I guess if you know that you're going to jail, you'd be prepared and wear all white underwear, socks, etc. But if you're just picked up on the street, you wouldn't be prepared that way.

Also, If I were to choose someone who doesn't seem like an inmate, I think I'd pick Barbra, too.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 2

Tami has lost sight of the project. She's knee-jerk reacting to not getting the respect she thinks she's automatically owed (which, as she should know, is earned not just handed out automatically). So, now she wants to just stay away from everyone. She's not getting the big picture or any additional info on the conditions if she just sulks in a corner. As much as I can't stand Barbra, at least she's assimilating.

I know Barbra said its hell, but I think she actually feels like it's summer camp in there. She just sits around and laughs with her friends. She says she "loves" those girls but there's no way she'll want to keep up any of the relationships she's made inside when she gets home. I also don't really think it will change her opinion much of what jail is like, since she seems to be enjoying it.

I feel bad for Jeff. If he was that horrifically bullied that he still has nightmares, it breaks my heart. I agree with everyone else that being a corrections officer is definitely not the job for him!

I like Zac. He is the most adept at this project, imo. I know that some people think he's too concerned about his focus on drugs, but I thought that was one of the objectives- to figure out how it's getting in.

Myrum- I also think she has an inflated opinion of her "fame". I had no idea who she was, don't think she looks so much like her father that total strangers can realize who she is without her standing next to him. The whole Muslim issue from a few episodes ago was laughable. I hope this experience gives her humility.

Robert is just bsc and not worth my effort to say more.

I've been thinking a lot about the cameras and catching all the activities they want to without these participants. If they have all the cameras the Sherriff mentioned, there's no way they have the manpower to review all that footage. With the information they're getting from Zac, etc, they can locate and see it for themselves. That doesn't excuse the absolute lack of supervision and that they should be able to see for themselves that that one guy is not taking his mess and is getting more and more volatile. There is no excuse for that. Also, there are no cameras in the bathroom and rooms, which I think is wrong.

• Love 3

Presuming Barbra did something to reach back out to Tami is a nice idea, but I think it would have made the edit. Way too many shots of the two women choosing to sit at the same table with no dialogue. I am guessing stuff like this is why Barbra says she has no friends on the outside.

And if one can presume the best about Barbra, that means one can presume Tami has faced more harassment and/or snubbing than is making the edit- hence why her temperature is up and she is freaking out so badly. It's funny how the women feel bad if they are ignored, when the men WISH they could be ignored in their pods.

I am finding each and every one of them difficult to watch for various reasons. This group is like a messed up version of The Breakfast Club.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 5

You know what the Tami/Barbara/Boston thing reminds me of. A version of the plot to Mean Girls. Barbara is the new girl in "school" and because of that she has a bit of trouble making friends. Then Tami Shows up who diesnt have many friends of her own because she went up against the most popular girl and list. At first everything is cool but then Barbara has a chance to be friends with the popular girl which would make her life easier so she takes it.

I know people like Barbara. I am friends with people like Barbara. They are perfectly nice women who have strong opinions on topics that might be wrong or at least not completely right. If you put them directly in someone else's shows they will have compassion for them just don't expect them to go out if their way to put themselves in unfamiliar situations just because someone else thinks it's right.

• Love 2

I feel bad for Jeff. If he was that horrifically bullied that he still has nightmares, it breaks my heart. I agree with everyone else that being a corrections officer is definitely not the job for him!

I like Zac. He is the most adept at this project, imo. I know that some people think he's too concerned about his focus on drugs, but I thought that was one of the objectives- to figure out how it's getting in.

Myrum- I also think she has an inflated opinion of her "fame". I had no idea who she was, don't think she looks so much like her father that total strangers can realize who she is without her standing next to him. The whole Muslim issue from a few episodes ago was laughable. I hope this experience gives her humility.

I feel badly for Jeff too and I'm scratching my head wondering how this guy thinks corrections oficer is the job for him other than maybe without an education (didn't he say he quit high school/), his options are limited and he wants to sort of avenge his past.  He'd be better off being a server waiting tables.  Make great tips, leave unscathed and go to school in the day if you want.  

On Myrum, I completely agree. While I do see a resemblance, those two could be in a room together and no one would make a connection.  I laughed when she was worried about the TV show they were watching on Ali was going to show a photo of her with her dad.   If they're going to show a photo of his daughter, it will be the hote one!

• Love 3

^^Seriously. The only daughter anyone can recognize of Ali is Laila. I can't even say I've seen pictures of Laila with Maryam since she's the relevant one right now.

Maryam can avoid all the ham she wants and they can flash the Champs picture all day and she can fear not.

• Love 3

Tami and Barbra know about each other, dangerous with one becoming unhinged (I.e. Tami).

Being a police officer without the power to resolve conflict is hard on her. She needs to step back and breathe. If I were her, I would do my sixty days without interacting with those that

act stand offish toward me. NO CONFLICT IS GOOD CONFLICT!

As for Ricky the nut case that isn't taking his meds, they should move him to isolation or administer his meds in injection form!!!!

Tami and Barbra know about each other, dangerous with one becoming unhinged (I.e. Tami).

Being a police officer without the power to resolve conflict is hard on her. She needs to step back and breathe. If I were her, I would do my sixty days without interacting with those that

act stand offish toward me. NO CONFLICT IS GOOD CONFLICT!

As for Ricky the nut case that isn't taking his meds, they should move him to isolation or administer his meds in injection form!!!!

I would agree that Tami needs to take a step back and breathe. The problem is people are acting offish towards her is because she walked in the pod acting like a maniac. How spies she expect people to respond to her. In on one her fist talking heads she says " don't take my kindness for weakness" ok...but when was she ever kind?

I know we can't always trust the editing monkeys, but we see her walk in complaining about the noise. It was loud when she got there and it'll be loud when she leaves. We saw her run up on Boston for no reason other than the women in the pod liked Boston more. Then she pouted about nobody thanking her for confronting Boston. Didn't seem to me anyone had a problem w Boston other than Tami.

The ladies seem to want to make their time as easygoing as possible so they stay away from the troubled one. Let her stay in her corner pouting to herself. But no, here comes trouble inviting herself to Sam's fare thee well party. And what does she do? Get pissed that the crew didn't drop to their knees thanking her for the party favors. It's doesn't ever seem to be Tami's fault she can't fit in.

If I were Babra, I'd avoid Tami as well. She doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

I'm very interested to see if Zac assimilates as quickly in D pod as he did in C.

Maryum working with the gal on her GED did soften me up towards her a lot, but this episode also made me understand why Tami said she had an air of entitlement, although I wouldn't have phrased it that way. There is just sort of a demeanor that a lot of children of celebrities seem to have.

I am actually kind of shocked that Tami is a police officer. To be a cop you have to be LESS sensitive to what people think of you, not more. She is hyper-sensitive about everything going on around her. I think participating in this program is dredging up some demons for her, and was really a bad idea.

• Love 1