Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, jumper sage said:

MJ - she needs to insulate herself from her toxic mother or she will become her.  We already see some tendencies.  See your mom once a month for 30 minutes and set the timer.  Every time your mother says something bad, laugh it off.  It will piss her off. Keep acting like she is the insane lunatic she is.  This will driver her nuts.  Delete all texts without reading them.  On a phone call, listen for a couple of seconds and if she is mean say something like, "OMG the dog fell off the balcony." or some other crazy emergency. 

This would actually be a fabulous plan.  But for it to be effective Vida would need self awareness.   It won't drive her nuts at all, she'd look at MJ's wacky reactions as confirmation that she's been right this whole time.   Vida and my mother are personality twins.  It was hard to watch that cultural respect your elders, even if you know for a fact they're assholes, thing.  That isn't respect, it's enabling.   I still giggled at how she thought she was *burning* Mike. 

9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I actually think once MJ brings a child into this world she truly will set boundaries with her mother or x her out of her life 

Also too logical.  She's not the type to respect boundaries.   MJ won't be able to have any type of relationship with her mom excluding the toxicity.  So ultimately she'll have to decide whether she wants to pick her self esteem up off the floor after every interaction they have or do without her mother altogether.  But Vida without poison isn't going to happen.   She's not ready though.  She's in her mid forties and still at:  that's just the way my mother is {shrug}.    It hasn't occurred to her to wonder why people even ask.  

I was curious about something Vida said about MJ's former boyfriends.  She said she's been proposed to more than once - so the not so subtle question was why this guy?  That made me wonder whether part of her attraction to Tommy is that he's not kowtow-y to her mom.

I fell asleep so I don't know if this is in the coming attractions or actually happened in this episode.  Did I actually see Reza-june fuggin sprinting after GG in a museum?  What happened?  Did she steal his rights to the word bitch?

• Love 7

I like Tommy so far. He seems like he genuinely loves MJ and isn't necessarily into "reality tv stardom".

Vida is full of so much hate, animosity and bitterness because her husband left her for another woman. She comes across as a man hater who believes there are no decent men on the planet just because she got hurt.

• Love 4

GG cracks me up. She has no time for a job!. Too busy getting mani's, pedi's, shopping,  hair done and acupuncture, of course. And she's getting a BRAVO paycheck! I like it when she makes fun of herself, she actually has a great sense of humor, too bad she can't keep the dark side from coming out so often.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

I was curious about something Vida said about MJ's former boyfriends.  She said she's been proposed to more than once - so the not so subtle question was why this guy?  That made me wonder whether part of her attraction to Tommy is that he's not kowtow-y to her mom.

Because she's in her mid 40's and can't keep screwing around if she wants to get preggers. 

19 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Because she's in her mid 40's and can't keep screwing around if she wants to get preggers. 

No, I know lol, the question is for/from Vida.  It was as though she said you've had much better opportunities than this dude. 

Just now, ZaldamoWilder said:

No, I know lol, the question is for/from Vida.  It was as though she said you've had much better opportunities than this dude.

Yea, I agree.  Was surprised at that comment, too. MJ is no prize, but I always got the impression that Vida had a problem with ALL of MJ's boyfriends. 

• Love 4

So dumb, MJ and her faux bridal, getting rid of her costume jewelry so she can make room for the good stuff...complete set up.  Asa screeched over the beginning of the proposal then the actual question got lost in the shuffle and honestly I heard "baby" from either one of them one more time I was going to throw up.

Vida, ugh really, I cannot even imagine growing up with a mother like that.

The DIY cake decorating was awful, those were some terrible looking cakes, has MJ even seen a cake before?

I never noticed GG's apartment was so absent of personality, not one piece of artwork anywhere.  I did notice she answered the door without a knife. 

Asa shooting pics of Mike while in heels really prevents her from getting some better angles, she can't really move around in the rough terrain.

• Love 3

Mike may be an asshole, but I was cheering him on when he clapped back at Vida.  What a terror.  I'd move across the world if she were my mother.

MJ looked a little too bridal to believe the proposal was a complete surprise.  Still, I'm happy for them, especially if they can get married without Vida ruining everything.  I suggest investing in a muzzle.  Or a sedative.

I liked that GG made it clear that her only problem was with Reza and his assholishness about her illness.  I get the feeling she's about to blow his life apart for being a dick to her.  Now does she really have video?  IDK, but she has something.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

liked that GG made it clear that her only problem was with Reza and his assholishness about her illness.  I get the feeling she's about to blow his life apart for being a dick to her.  Now does she really have video?  IDK, but she has something.

I hope to god she does. Reza is the absolute worst--insinuating himself into everyone else's business under the pretense of being a concerned friend, wreaking havoc and then subsequently backing off to relish in schadenfreude in his talking heads. I don't think that man has a single kind or well intentioned bone in his body. Let GG expose Reza for the lying, cheating scum bag he really is and let the rest of the Shahs be done with his shady ass. It's well past time he was the one ostracized from the group.

Sidenote...did anyone catch the way Shervin looked at/checked out the jeweler at Icing on the Ring when he first walked in? I had to replay that scene just to be sure but his eyes definitely lit up in a way they never have around Analise or any other woman for that matter.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

So dumb, MJ and her faux bridal, getting rid of her costume jewelry so she can make room for the good stuff...complete set up.  Asa screeched over the beginning of the proposal then the actual question got lost in the shuffle and honestly I heard "baby" from either one of them one more time I was going to throw up.

Vida, ugh really, I cannot even imagine growing up with a mother like that.

The DIY cake decorating was awful, those were some terrible looking cakes, has MJ even seen a cake before?

I never noticed GG's apartment was so absent of personality, not one piece of artwork anywhere.  I did notice she answered the door without a knife. 

Asa shooting pics of Mike while in heels really prevents her from getting some better angles, she can't really move around in the rough terrain.

I forgot that this part that made me furious.   Vida's (a) picking strips of deco off MJ's cake.   because (b) she hates the way it looks, cakes don't look like that.   wait for it.....(c) she has the same ribbon-y shit on the top of her cake.    I was like Merced-eh?  just leave her, the cake, your bag, the coffee, all of it, just pay the bill get up and never look back at this bitch. 

bwahaaaaaaaaa!!!!  at the reunion wait for reza to say it's probably because her RA makes it hard to hold.

• Love 5
(edited)

You know, I don't mind Asa's turbans so much.  What I do mind is the cheap fabric, cheap garish decorations and the harsh colors.  I hate the bugsy harem veil, it makes it so hard to figure out what she's saying.  I can read the words from the captions but I can't tell if she's serious or joking or angry or whatever because she covers up half her face including all of her lips.  People have no idea just how much information their faces give out and it's like there's a wall in front of her face when she wears that thing.

Edited by Eater of Worlds
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Asa is a dilettante. I wonder who underwrites her "art" projects.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rahul said:

Sidenote...did anyone catch the way Shervin looked at/checked out the jeweler at Icing on the Ring when he first walked in? I had to replay that scene just to be sure but his eyes definitely lit up in a way they never have around Analise or any other woman for that matter.

Totally caught that, too.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Tommy works for some security/surveillance company in sales I think. 

While he might be on the up and up. just getting tangled with MJ makes me think "security/surveillance company in sales" means he sells stolen ADT lawn signs out of the back of his car.

I think Vida is one of the foulest people on pretty much any BRAVO show.  And I think MJ gets a lot of her own vicious hurtful nature from her.  But I'm not all that sure it is 100% nurture.  I think MJ likes hurting people.  She likes tearing people down.  And I think that might just be who she would be if she had a saint for a parent.  Mean can be inborn.  I think Vida might have just honed it a bit.

The only way I want to see any more of Vida is to stick her, Kandee's mother from the Atlanta show and Jill Zarin's mother in an elevator with a camera and sound and leave them there for an hour.   If by chance they actually bond, in the best interests of humanity, of course we drop the elevator 100 floors.  It's the only option.  But I bet mouths will be trying to flay the skin off each other.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, jumper sage said:

How in the world would Reza think the laws aren't inclusive of surprise weddings?  No one has a surprise wedding.  I yelled it at the TV!

So Reza really isn't married to Adam? Good luck getting Adam hitched now. ha ha

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ubiquitous said:

So Reza really isn't married to Adam? Good luck getting Adam hitched now. ha ha

They resaid their vows on last nights episode and Asa signed the wedding license, so.....they are now legally married.

What was Tommy saying about his past? I couldn’t hear it with the sobbing. Are we talking jail time or something?

MJ has a severely dysfunctional relationship with her mother. From the earlier season I could have sworn MJ said that Vida left her father for another man when MJ was very young. MJ lived with her father and her mother was always critical with MJ when she would visit.  MJ is 45ish she’s not going to break away from Vida at this point.

Asa taking pictures of Mike. No Asa you’re not losing light, you’re wearing SUNGLASSES looking through the camera lens you knucklehead.

Shervyn. I understand if he wishes not to or ever come out of the closet, but he needs to make up a story a little bit more plausible than Australian Barbie. i.e. I am in love with a girl currently incarcerated.

Reza  the hijacker comment was in poor taste I wonder how much flack you’re getting on social media

7 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Mike may be an asshole, but I was cheering him on when he clapped back at Vida.  What a terror.  I'd move across the world if she were my mother.

MJ looked a little too bridal to believe the proposal was a complete surprise.  Still, I'm happy for them, especially if they can get married without Vida ruining everything.  I suggest investing in a muzzle.  Or a sedative.

I liked that GG made it clear that her only problem was with Reza and his assholishness about her illness.  I get the feeling she's about to blow his life apart for being a dick to her.  Now does she really have video?  IDK, but she has something.

To me, she looked like a bride who forgot to put on her wedding gown.  She looked like she was squeezed into someone else's much too small body shaper.  

If MJ would just learn to size up in her clothing, and maybe do away with all the body-con fashions, she would actually look attractive.

I, too, was virtually high-fiving Mike with his comments to Vida.  She is a nasty, nasty person, and last night, it showed that MJ isn't the only one that she can be nasty with.  

I only tuned in when it was about 1/2 through, so I missed the parts with GG and Reza - I'll catch it on a rerun.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Willowsmom said:

All that really had to happen was Asa and witnesses signing. The rest was nonsense.

Hell they could have just had the county clerk who issued the license do it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

MJ has a severely dysfunctional relationship with her mother. From the earlier season I could have sworn MJ said that Vida left her father for another man when MJ was very young. MJ lived with her father and her mother was always critical with MJ when she would visit.  MJ is 45ish she’s not going to break away from Vida at this point.

What?????  If true, how is this not the sword in which to slay the dragon that is Vida?  I would so say nasty things, only because she is nasty though.

• Love 1

Vida needs to be pushed into a grave so others can dance upon it. God that woman is vile. Not proud of your daughter...you think she is proud of having an acid spewing harpy for a...... germination tank as one shouldn't even call her a mother. I would venture to say she was a harpy to her husband long before he had a mistress and that is why he left. She is poison and toxic. The look of disdain on Vida's face when Tommy proposed..... I hope that woman rots in hell.  I cheered Mike taking on that bitch and thought less of the others for not deflecting the bombardment heaved his way and I think Tommy handled him well when it started to escalate. 

The best thing Tommy could do for MJ is move her back East. The next best would be to lay down the law the moment Vida dives into MJ and boot her ass out any time she is out of line.

Only after a sustained period of time will I believe any changes MJ made.

Don't care about Reza he is the same old tired ass bitch that he was at the beginning of the series. I hope GG does have something on him.

I'm long over Asa's priestess shtick. She hauls out that raggedy ass turban evert time she can poor thing.

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Love 4

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually like Tommy...(well for now, we all know how as the seasons go on, there is usually reasons to NOT like the person you thought was so great lol) and his proposal had me a little misty-eyed. I thought it was so sweet and sincere.  However, I do feel for him as I think MJ is probably too much of a fame whore for their relationship to be "till death do us part".  But he does seem like a good hearted guy.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

What?????  If true, how is this not the sword in which to slay the dragon that is Vida?  I would so say nasty things, only because she is nasty though.

Yeah I'm pretty sure of it. That story was retold by MJ. Vida basically abandonned her husband and child. Vida moved somewhere close by and every once in a while she dropped by to pick up MJ. So from a very early age, MJ was trying to get her mother's approval and was trying to understand what she did to make her mother leave.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure of it. That story was retold by MJ. Vida basically abandonned her husband and child. Vida moved somewhere close by and every once in a while she dropped by to pick up MJ. So from a very early age, MJ was trying to get her mother's approval and was trying to understand what she did to make her mother leave.

I see the psychology there but really, at 40+ years old, it is time to slay the dragon.

• Love 3

If MJ wants to remain Vida's emotional dart board she has only herself to blame. You cut those people out of your life as much as you can. You block their number, you hang up if they borrow a phone, you don't answer the door. You don't engage because they don't respect you or anything you say. If it starts, and by this time you know the cues, you leave immediately without explanation because they get off on you voicing why you are leaving. It validates that they won. You die and they will blame you, rag on you but love the attention they get. You really don't matter to them.

MJ will never have Vida's love. Even if Vida were on her death bed confessing her love, It won't be real and it's not for MJ but for Vida, she is an abuser with one last head game to play.

• Love 5

I'm glad Mike said something to Vida. I was cheering him on. Vida is going to be a very lonely woman with no family around if she keeps on hurting her daughter. If tommy and mj are happy together that's all that matters

Best wishes to them

• Love 6
(edited)

My mom was like Vida, but she was also schizophrenic. She didn't raise any of us until we were about 12.  I finally cut her out of my life, I just couldn't take it anymore andi have a supportive husband who understood. When she died, I felt such a weight lifted off my back!  My sister, not so much. She went into this deep depression, hated me for being relieved and then stepped right into mom's shoes. it was a weird dynamic but my life is so full of joy and laughter now. I'm not afraid of everything and havea happy life. I hope the same for them.

Edited by hatchetgirl
To fix autocorrect
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, tinaw said:

I'm glad Mike said something to Vida. I was cheering him on. Vida is going to be a very lonely woman with no family around if she keeps on hurting her daughter. If tommy and mj are happy together that's all that matters

Best wishes to them

If MJ and Tommy have kids I tend to believe Tommy would protect them from Vida. One wrong word out of her mouth to them and he would come down like a hammer.

• Love 5

I like Tommy. Yeah,  he's crude and loud, but there something about him I like.

Did anyone notice that Mike was crying his face off when Tommy was declaring his love for MJ. Made me  feel for him,  for a minute,  then I remembered he's a scumbag,  and it passed. 

Vida omg! What a waste off a good life.  I can't imagine living my life just to be nasty and negative. I just couldn't live being that miserable. MJ is a mess but she would help herself so much by just cutting  her mother out of her life. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Giselle said:

If MJ and Tommy have kids I tend to believe Tommy would protect them from Vida. One wrong word out of her mouth to them and he would come down like a hammer.

I believe tommy would come down like a hammer. I think MJ would come down even harder for her kids. I hope anyway

• Love 2

If I remember correctly, Vida may have some hate for Mike because he would not let MJ bring her to his wedding as her plus one.

My curiosity of MJ's wedding dress is real, I wonder if she will be on SYTTD and try on every skin tight see thru bodice dress Pnina makes and then settle on the one that is most unflattering and inappropriate.  Vida will spend her time on the show room couch saying horrible things to MJ and Randy will come to the rescue. I feel like I am writing fan fiction!  I really can't imagine this wedding would not be a special Shah's of Sunset series with some cross over reality tv thrown in for good measure.

Is MJ Jewish?  The Hebrew writing on the coffin lining made me wonder but the choir really made me wonder wtf.  Were there flowers at the cemetery 'cause there are never flowers at a Jewish grave sites.  Maybe that is why Vida does not think Tommy is right for MJ because he is not Jewish.

• Love 1

This show is fluff for me to watch, obviously mostly manufactured drama.  What did seem real and genuine was the absolute horror of all the group when Mike was answering back to Vida.  No one seemed to disagree that she is a complete hateful bitch, but they were all absolutely horrified that he would speak to an elder like that.  It's nice to see that in some cultures there is still unquestionable respect for elders, even in the case of someone as vile as Vida.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Why does MJ insist on wearing clothes that are several sizes too small? What is her deal? She can't be comfortable. It's just not possible.

I think Tommy genuinely cares about MJ. Mike has said as much on WWHL. However, I will keep Tommy in my prayers because a lifetime of MJ AND Vida is too much to bear. Talk about a lifetime of misery. Vida is so mean and rude and it has rubbed off on MJ. MJ will never cut her mom off, no matter how toxic, and that is very sad.

I understood why Mike was upset with Vida, but talking back to an elder and insulting her is a big offense. He's probably not going to live that down culturally. Vida hasn't earned his respect at all, but I know Mike was genuinely disappointed in himself.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 3

How evil is Vida? True story I was once married to a Persian and have two half Persian daughters, which is why I love this show. My mother in law had true shades of Vida. I think some of it is cultural and some of it is a true vile personality. I am happy for MJ, she is balanced out with Tommy.  

The photo shoot with Mike alone is exactly what he deserves. It seems he thinks nothing thru, from ordering shoes from Mexico without given adequate time for production, to carelessly cheating on his wife. She changed her religion for him and really tried. He's reaping what he sowed. Sorry not sorry. 

• Love 3

An ecstatic MJ accepts a proposal.  Meanwhile, Reza and Adam have an intriguing talk about children; Mike makes a tough decision; and old wounds are opened at an unveiling of Asa's photography project.  The Season 5 finale.

On 7/26/2016 at 1:31 AM, Giselle said:

Vida needs to be pushed into a grave so others can dance upon it. God that woman is vile. Not proud of your daughter...you think she is proud of having an acid spewing harpy for a...... germination tank as one shouldn't even call her a mother. I would venture to say she was a harpy to her husband long before he had a mistress and that is why he left. She is poison and toxic. The look of disdain on Vida's face when Tommy proposed..... I hope that woman rots in hell.  I cheered Mike taking on that bitch and thought less of the others for not deflecting the bombardment heaved his way and I think Tommy handled him well when it started to escalate. 

The best thing Tommy could do for MJ is move her back East. The next best would be to lay down the law the moment Vida dives into MJ and boot her ass out any time she is out of line.

Only after a sustained period of time will I believe any changes MJ made.

Don't care about Reza he is the same old tired ass bitch that he was at the beginning of the series. I hope GG does have something on him.

I'm long over Asa's priestess shtick. She hauls out that raggedy ass turban evert time she can poor thing.

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Reza should be careful about himself.  If he doesn't change his ways, he has a very good chance of becoming the male version of Vida.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Reza should be careful about himself.  If he doesn't change his ways, he has a very good chance of becoming the male version of Vida.  

He already is Vida, he just has a better filter and bull shitter hidden under the guise of friendship and caring.

• Love 2

Asa is chastised for refusing to share her "real" life on camera; Golnesa faces difficult truths about her rheumatoid arthritis; a heartbreaking meltdown leads to an unexpected moment.

Golnesa and Reza pick up their relationship where it left off; Asa and Mercedes butt heads; Mike opens up about his pending divorce from Jessica; Mama Vida Javid expresses brutally honest opinions about her daughter's tight-knit circle.

Oh, Vida's got an opinion on everybody, pissy old hag. I wish more had Mike's balls and would tell the witch off and dismiss her thereafter. You don't give blind respect to someone like that not even if they have 70 years on you. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Giselle said:

Oh, Vida's got an opinion on everybody, pissy old hag. I wish more had Mike's balls and would tell the witch off and dismiss her thereafter. You don't give blind respect to someone like that not even if they have 70 years on you. 

Your wording spurred my imagination and conjured up a vivid mental image of the the Shahs at this year's reunion. I pictured the clique joining hands in a circle around Vida and chanting an incantation to along the lines of "Be gone vile crone, leave us alone! By the power of Persia, we vanquish thee!" 

• Love 6

Vida is horrible.  MJ needs to cut her off, nothing she ever does will be good enough for Vida, that's a fact.

I get the sense that Vida probably never wanted children in the first place, and resents MJ for existing.  

• Love 1