Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, just watched the one with the couple moving to Spain so one of them can work on her masters and the other plans to learn about herself, so they are living off their savings.

They go with the place centrally located so the finding-herself gal can be near the bars and the student has a 30 minute plus walk back and forth to school.

So, the one gal needs to get to the bars immediately upon waking? a 30 minute walk for her is too much?  ugh..  a bit selfish

• Like 4
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

So, just watched the one with the couple moving to Spain so one of them can work on her masters and the other plans to learn about herself, so they are living off their savings.

Snort.

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

So, the one gal needs to get to the bars immediately upon waking? a 30 minute walk for her is too much? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they were talking about the student having a 30-minute walk, the learning about herself one said she would walk with the student and they could talk and whatever.  With no mention of the learning about herself one having an additional 30-minute walk to either meet the student on campus to walk back with her or to get back home after walking with the student to campus.

• Like 2

Yeah the Tarragona one, there must be a bus she can take instead of a 30 minute walk?

They went for the school but there are other things to do than bars.  It’s a coastal city so hang out on the beach?  Barcelona is nearby, probably an hour by train.

Even if that partner was unimaginative about how to spend her time, why didn’t the HHI writers make up something, like she wanted to be near the beach or she was going to work online so she needed an office?

Curious about these Americans going to grad school in Europe.  It’s one thing in an English-speaking country but in Spain?  I may have missed that the other house hunter was fluent?

Even if she gets her degree, would it get recognized in the US for job opportunities?  Grad schools in US offer job placement services too, unless she plans to look for work in Spain or Europe.

Maybe it’s easier to get admitted to schools, not have to take the GRE?  Or maybe lower tuition or they offer scholarships?  Housing is certainly affordable, under $1000.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah the Tarragona one, there must be a bus she can take instead of a 30 minute walk?

Probably but it may be more efficient to just walk. 

I did a semester abroad in Spain when I was younger and the school was on the outskirts of the city on the other side of town where I lived. It was about an hour walk there, including going through the city center and a bit outside of it, and an hour back.  Truthfully, unless a person has physical limitations that make walking 30 minutes difficult for them, 30 minutes will probably feel like nothing.  I found it to be a lot more interesting to walk through the downtown of European cities with a specific destination in mind than I find it to walk 30 minutes around my neighborhood for exercise. I barely noticed the first because I had a destination/purpose while the latter feels like a chore. Plus, all the storefronts had displays. 

In addition, they're probably closer to getting their daily supplies living downtown and if she's going to the school I think she's going to, part of her classes will be online.

6 hours ago, aghst said:

Even if she gets her degree, would it get recognized in the US for job opportunities?  Grad schools in US offer job placement services too, unless she plans to look for work in Spain or Europe.

It depends on what she's getting her grad degree in.  If she needs to get a specific certification (like an MD) or is in a program, like law, where the name of the alma mater matters, then it could be an issue.   But if it's just a general graduate degree, then I doubt it'll matter.  Since she's doing the whole degree there, she doesn't have to worry about transfer credits.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, aghst said:

I may have missed that the other house hunter was fluent?

She mentioned something about her classes being in English.

2 hours ago, aghst said:

Maybe it’s easier to get admitted to schools, not have to take the GRE?

Grad schools in the US have been trending away from the GRE.

• Like 2

I liked the realtor-I don't recall seeing him before.

Story lines are getting limited and theirs was the "modern versus traditional" and it really showed how much of a reach that plot was with the second flat that had brick but which the grad student labeled as too modern for her, but when they went to the third flat all of a sudden the brick was traditional and she liked it.  So, in a 20 minute show (really less because they repeat the options, etc.) they couldn't even keep the story straight.  Brick is too modern (even in a room with more traditional detailing) except when it isn't.

• LOL 3

I like the look of brick and stone that you see in some European interior construction.

But I wonder if those materials shed particulates that could get on and into your possessions or worse, get kicked up and you breathe them in.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, aghst said:

Coventry girlfriend wanted her own bathroom.

She didn't want any bathrooms. She wanted a palatial spa.

Every house she walked into it was, "Oh my God! The bathroom is horrible! It looks like a bathroom! It has a sink, a toilet and a tub/shower! That is so horrible! It looks like a bathroom! How can I even set foot in a bathroom like that? It looks like a bathroom! This is totally unacceptable, and remember, I want two of them! It looks like a bathroom!"

They also didn't ask if the one that had all the fireplaces had central heating. Were those quaint fireplaces in every room the only source of heat? Because somehow, I can't see her being interested in any fireplace that wasn't there solely for decorative purposes.

• Like 4

She got her "spa" bathroom. And a spare for the boyfriend. LOL, I was hoping she'd avoid a nervous breakdown over small kitchens and bathrooms entire families had previously lived in. But that was for the camera--they moved to England on her job, her dime, his ability to study. His desire to spend inordinate amounts of time soothing his soul in a "garden" area as a source of conflict? 🤣

Richard was amusing, as always, but didn't seem as though his whole heart was invested in these two. Also, the beard symmetry seemed off.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, buttersister said:

She got her "spa" bathroom. And a spare for the boyfriend. LOL, I was hoping she'd avoid a nervous breakdown over small kitchens and bathrooms entire families had previously lived in. But that was for the camera--they moved to England on her job, her dime, his ability to study. His desire to spend inordinate amounts of time soothing his soul in a "garden" area as a source of conflict? 🤣

Richard was amusing, as always, but didn't seem as though his whole heart was invested in these two. Also, the beard symmetry seemed off.

and she was carping about how small the kitchen was in the 3rd house and how very large it was in the first.  i didn't really see that big of a difference in their sizes.   

i just was not impressed by her in any way and feel bad for the guy - i'd need a garden to escape to too

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Frankfurt, Germany. I like this couple. Have never seen someone hug a washing machine. I'd be able to live in #2. #3 is really nice but I'll admit it didn't feel like you were in Germany. 

• Like 4

They’re paying half in Frankfurt what they were paying in Manhattan but spthe wife wanted an upgrade — more space, laundry in unit, outdoor space.

They hope a 30% pay cut will be worth it in the long run.

Husband was smart to bring up that savings will mean more dining out and vacations to Italy.  She got over the dated look — yellow tiles in the kitchen — real quick.

Wife says she doesn’t remember meeting her husband while he talks about it with nostalgic fondness.  She teased that it was love at first sight when she saw the big waterfront apt, unlike when she met hubby.😊

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Just watch the Frankfurt episode and must say that I may have found my most favorite house hunter EVER in the husband as when his wife complained about choice #1 only having 1 bedroom he responded that if visitors came they could find a hotel.  YES!!! This is what I think (and sometimes say out loud) whenever the house hunters wonder where their guests will stay.  I also found him to find more positives than negatives which is more appealing to me than those who are more negative than positive (such as his wife who almost screamed about how yellow the kitchen [they eventually had] was).  

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I laughed when the wife complained about the yellowness of the kitchen and thought it must be my tv, because it didn’t look yellow, at which point the husband and realtor both said, “Yellow?” Obviously the wife had been cast as the “dissenter” who didn’t like apartment #2, which was perfect for them. 

Otherwise, they were a very cute couple, and #2 was really a good choice. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 1/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, seacliffsal said:

I liked the realtor-I don't recall seeing him before.

Story lines are getting limited and theirs was the "modern versus traditional" and it really showed how much of a reach that plot was with the second flat that had brick but which the grad student labeled as too modern for her, but when they went to the third flat all of a sudden the brick was traditional and she liked it.  So, in a 20 minute show (really less because they repeat the options, etc.) they couldn't even keep the story straight.  Brick is too modern (even in a room with more traditional detailing) except when it isn't.

They need to stop the fake conflicts and show more of the apartment after they move back in.  There was one, I can’t remember which one, the guy overdid it with  repeating “there’s no charm” or something like that.   Over and over like he was so proud he remembered his line.  

• LOL 2

TX to NY to London.

Relatively affordable choices for London, apparently Richard himself lives around Islington.

Guess some outdoor space is better than nothing with the dogs.  Maybe no parks near the High Street though.

I would prefer the first property, which is above the High Street, than the basement property though.

Good that they are taking advantage of living in London to travel.  But what happens to the dogs when they take those weekend trips?  Or maybe they can’t go away more than a few days.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, aghst said:

Good that they are taking advantage of living in London to travel.  But what happens to the dogs when they take those weekend trips?  Or maybe they can’t go away more than a few days.

Like any one else with dogs, they either hire a petsitter or board them. Heck, so much of Europe is pet friendly, the dogs might travel with them. 

Loved seeing Islington and I liked them and the apartment they chose. Close to action but not right on it and the outdoor space was super cute and functional. So much easier than leashing up the pups and walking to a park every time they need to go out. 

Wondered if he'll pursue licensing/work permit in the UK for nursing or if her assignment was short-term. I'm always envious of those who make the move  to work abroad. I missed my window and am now planning for retirement. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, snarts said:

Loved seeing Islington

I'll have to track this episode down, as I've stayed in Islington; I once watched an Edinburgh episode in which one of the apartments they toured was in a building I immediately recognized.

• Like 4

Yay, Richard of Isslington. Cool area. Good apartment. Her desire to be in a commercial area was met by the pub across the street and other places nearby. He got his outdoor space. Budget was good, she must have a well-paying job. I was rooting for hubs, pandemic nurse.

• Like 6

Odd thing was she specialized in US taxes law.

A few months ago, there was an episode in which a CPA who also specialized in US taxes moved her business from LA to Barcelona.

Why would someone who deals with US taxes move her practice to Barcelona?

Speculation was doing taxes for American expats over there.

So maybe this house hunter has a similar thing in London, which certainly has to have a lot of American expats  who have to pay US taxes as well as any UK taxes they might have to pay.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think it was a rerun, but I really liked the Las Vegas realtors buying the Puerto Vallarta condo.    The were such a breath of fresh air, no whining, no screaming at each other, reasonable with their wish list and compromises.    I loved looking at the three possibilities, and really loved the one they chose.   

• Like 3

I believe Puerto Vallarta was new, at least I don't recall seeing it before.

One of the couple mentioned the pandemic as a reason they wanted to downsize and spend more time away from work.

Turns out the one guy who wanted quiet says in the end they both wanted to be in the Romantic Zone, mostly for amenities.  They don't cook so they wanted to be near restaurants and bars.

I've never been to Mexico but it makes sense as quick getaways for busy people and a lot of these Mexico and Central American episodes seem to be people who've been going down there for years so it's familiar to them.

It also makes it relatively easy for them to move back to the US if they change their mind about living there all the time.

• Like 2

Puerto Vallarta

This episode is numbered S180, which is the current season.

I seem to always use the word "pop" whenever I go to Mexico. I pop down there for a few days, and it's a single flight. For most of the tourist places, it's a single flight to US soil, too, so it's a convenient getaway.

• Like 1

Puerta Vallarta: it sounds like they sold a larger house in Las Vegas to buy a smaller condo there and one in Puerto Vallarta, which the eventual goal to move to Puerto Vallarta full time. Both are in real estate.

To me, the condo was a bit small to live there comfortably but likely makes the most sense in the short term. They won't have a car so being in the area they desire was the most important thing.  It's interesting how they rarely mention HOAs on the international episodes. While they may have a different name, I'd assume condos still have monthly charges for the amenities & maintenance so it feels like a miss when trying to evaluate the properties. 

• Like 6
On 1/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, snarts said:

It's interesting how they rarely mention HOAs on the international episodes. While they may have a different name, I'd assume condos still have monthly charges for the amenities & maintenance so it feels like a miss when trying to evaluate the properties. 

The Australian episodes usually mention maintenance fees for condos.  Don't know about other places.

• Like 1

Bucharest, Romania to Valencia, Spain

It was nice to see non-North Americans searching for a home. They initially thought they could find a place for around $650. They had to up that considerably. He owned a sportswear store back home and wanted to do the same in Spain. Commercial rents were lowering there compared to residential rents. I hope his brick and mortar business does well. She was a corporate employee. They were looking forward to an easier lifestyle. He was a quiet kind of guy; she was gregarious and upbeat. I hope we get to see more couples like them searching for homes. I'd be fine if we took a break from the UK and Mexico, too.

• Like 6

Valencia wife really wanted that loft home by the port.

But he didn’t want to be at the store 12 hours without being able to break up the day by coming home for lunch.  She seemed more willing to give up their lunches.🤔

Those nephews are growing up so she can’t just let them run around their apt. Indefinitely.

She should be glad he wants to run his business instead of just living off their savings.

They met each other at a bar or a club when they looked at each other.  She was worried that he was some serial killer until he smiled.🤔

• Like 4

I liked the Valencia couple, too, and agreed with the wife on loving that 3rd apartment. It didn't seem that she was working, though, so even though that one was only $100 more, it made sense to choose the cheap one. Also, spending more just so the 2 nephews could 'run around' seemed stupid.

The husband had an amazing head of hair. His new shop was teeny, and seemed to be mostly tee shirts, so good luck to him. I thought him insisting on coming home for lunch was kind of weird, but then he said his hours were 9-9, so he'd never see his wife otherwise.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

If any guys were watching this episode, I think a lot of them were envious. 😄

And as the husband said, the wife did have a beautiful smile.  

yeah, his hair was amazing

i usually find myself disliking either the husband and wife on these shows, but they were both such lovely and happy people.  I hope they both do well and enjoy their life there

the realtor was quite nice too

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Hubby wondered if they could afford a bigger place if Spain guy spent less on hair products. 

It really looked like just naturally bushy hair. I did wonder, though, if they could have afforded a better place if the wife got a job. I now also wonder why she didn't work at his shop-at least part time-then they could eat lunch together at a pretty outdoors cafe instead of in the cramped, terrace-free apartment.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

It really looked like just naturally bushy hair. I did wonder, though, if they could have afforded a better place if the wife got a job. I now also wonder why she didn't work at his shop-at least part time-then they could eat lunch together at a pretty outdoors cafe instead of in the cramped, terrace-free apartment.

agreed about his hair - just seemed like he had a lot of it

did they actually say the wife was not going to work - i thought she mentioned her job

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I now also wonder why she didn't work at his shop-at least part time-then they could eat lunch together at a pretty outdoors cafe instead of in the cramped, terrace-free apartment.

Because she had a full time job to work at, and a small, hopefully busy store is not a place to do it in. 

• Like 1

Ontario to Costa Rica.  Young couple, quit their jobs in Canada and moved, was living with some friends but she becomes pregnant and they have to look for homes.

They don’t have to commute so they look at some homes which are far from towns.  They notice the roads, realize that they don’t want to risk driving through muddy roads in poor weather.

I think it was a key Reason they eliminated the first property.  They complain that property #2 is right next to neighbors but in the end choose it over the more secluded #3 despite the great views.

They say they started an online business in the 3 moths after segment so they both work at home.  They don’t say what that business is.

They didn’t say what kind of work they did back in Canada or maybe I missed it.

I suspect they’re getting family money.  They had a fairly high budget compared to other CR episodes.

• Like 1

Canada to Costa Rica

This couple will be YouTube stars, of course. My guess is that they'll be filming their lives (including fitness activities and water activities) in Costa Rica. 

She was a teacher, he was a plumber.

Really liked the Valencia couple, but found the concern over the nephews running around a bit off-putting.  Unless the wife was going to be full-time baby sitter for the nephews, they really shouldn't be a concern at all (in choosing an apartment, not in real life).  Loved the third apartment and it looked like it had an outside area that they didn't show us (blue door that was slightly open and showed a chair and low wall).  I really want that apartment for myself, but since I'm not planning on moving to Valencia I guess it won't work out (but Valencia itself looked lovely and I was jealous for all of the beautiful orange juice/drinks that they were drinking [valencia oranges?]).

• Like 5
On 1/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, sempervivum said:

I liked the Valencia couple, too, and agreed with the wife on loving that 3rd apartment. It didn't seem that she was working, though, so even though that one was only $100 more, it made sense to choose the cheap one. Also, spending more just so the 2 nephews could 'run around' seemed stupid.

The husband had an amazing head of hair. His new shop was teeny, and seemed to be mostly tee shirts, so good luck to him. I thought him insisting on coming home for lunch was kind of weird, but then he said his hours were 9-9, so he'd never see his wife otherwise.

I wonder if it also has to do with the Spanish custom of closing the shops for a long period in the middle of the day.

• Useful 5

Portugal to Phnom Penh

I got my wish. Another European couple. She said there weren't many jobs in her field (art) in Portugal, so she took an art director job in Phnom Penh. He is working on a double-masters. It took awhile for me to finally conclude that the reason why only her commuting concerns were considered is that he must be doing his program via distance learning. He insisted on good Internet. And a gas stove. And a pool.

Surprisingly, they went for the costlier apartment, which I didn't see coming since she seemed adamant about sticking to a $400 budget, but I believe they got everything they wanted for $500.  Hope they enjoy their stay. I have a feeling it'll be brief.

• Like 5
On 1/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, aghst said:

Ontario to Costa Rica.  Young couple, quit their jobs in Canada and moved, was living with some friends but she becomes pregnant and they have to look for homes.

They don’t have to commute so they look at some homes which are far from towns.  They notice the roads, realize that they don’t want to risk driving through muddy roads in poor weather.

I think it was a key Reason they eliminated the first property.  They complain that property #2 is right next to neighbors but in the end choose it over the more secluded #3 despite the great views.

They say they started an online business in the 3 moths after segment so they both work at home.  They don’t say what that business is.

They didn’t say what kind of work they did back in Canada or maybe I missed it.

I suspect they’re getting family money.  They had a fairly high budget compared to other CR episodes.

I have a backlog of HHI episodes and I am starting to watch them. When you have 35 or so on the DVR it is really noticeable how there are some locations that have a lot of episodes - Costa Rica for one as I watched two episodes located there yesterday and Merida seems to be another.

At any rate, according to the episode I watched which was a couple that was buying a home in the area, Costa Rica has the highest cost of living of any Latin American country and the area they are looking in is the most expensive. It has several good international schools plus a very good infrastructure and relatively stable government. The other show I watched was a couple who had $900,000 to purchase a home and even with that budget, it didn't get all that much as they wound up with a condo - relatively large but not waterfront or ocean view or super luxurious. 

This couple (plumber and teacher) said they had sold their house in Toronto after renovating it. He was a plumber so I suspect that he had some good construction skills as well so I bet they made a nice profit on the sale. They didn't strike me as having significant family money in terms of funding their life. Not to be classist but the children of extremely wealthy people generally don't become plumbers and not generally teachers as well. If the woman came from wealth and became a teacher out of passion I would assume she would have used that passion for some kind of volunteer work in Costa Rica with children rather than doing some kind of ridiculous social media.

• Like 2

Portugal to Cambodia. Heh, yeah, David is the picky one. Although there was no way she was going to cycle half an hour to her job everyday! Said job sounded like an entry-level assistant art director (after a graphics course, not degree, iirc), so it likely didn't pay much but if she's any good, there's plenty of upside. He mentioned he'd be giving lectures, so I wonder if he has a teaching component that pays a little. Say, $100 a month? Great apartment, have fun. Work hard;-)

• Like 6
On 1/12/2023 at 2:49 PM, cinsays said:

agreed about his hair - just seemed like he had a lot of it

did they actually say the wife was not going to work - i thought she mentioned her job

My grandfather had hair like his, didn't need product, it was so thick and wavy that it stayed like that without effort. If he tried to slick it down, it would pop right back into place shortly afterwards.

Didn't she say that her job had gone remote and so she could do it anywhere which is why they decided to come to Valencia now?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

Portugal to Cambodia. Heh, yeah, David is the picky one. Although there was no way she was going to cycle half an hour to her job everyday! Said job sounded like an entry-level assistant art director (after a graphics course, not degree, iirc), so it likely didn't pay much but if she's any good, there's plenty of upside. He mentioned he'd be giving lectures, so I wonder if he has a teaching component that pays a little. Say, $100 a month? Great apartment, have fun. Work hard;-)

Likable couple but they’re not engaged or married.  Weird how they went to the same school, had mutual friends, but never met until much later.

They lived together before coming to Cambodia for a year.  It appears like he wanted to move there more than she did.  She’s subsidizing his living costs, cooks for him , watches as he enjoys the rooftop pool.

Hopefully he doesn’t burn her after he gets his masters.  If they split up, she’d go back to Lisbon — really surprised she said no work back home.

Not sure this experience helps her with her CV if she had to look for work in Portugal or elsewhere in Europe.  I guess she could build a portfolio of her work.

They both speak English well so maybe London is an option.

He mentioned he'd be giving lectures, so I wonder if he has a teaching component that pays a little. Say, $100 a month? Great apartment, have fun. Work hard;-)

I think he meant he would be listening to lectures, not giving them, so he needed a semi private place to do that. 

Lisbon to Cambodia recorded as new for me , and I could be crazy, but I could almost swear that I'd seen this episode before. Very strange.

Was also very surprised when she said how difficult it was to find work in Portugal.

Toronto to Rivera Maya

I liked this couple. They seemed to have a great relationship, and didn't act like they were competing with each other to get what they wanted. They had opinions on the kind of place they wanted to live (he wanted to walk be near "everything", she wanted a more rural environment), and only wanted a two-bedroom, two-bath home. Nothing said about a place being modern or looking like they're in Mexico, needing a pool, or wanting to walk to the beach. He has a company that he will run from a distance, she has quit nursing. I liked that they had a very decent but not outrageous budget, so with their modest wish list, they could purchase something really nice, which they certainly did. 

• Like 11