Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I live in a modern condo in New Jersey and my master bathroom suite had a separate toilet room, the idea being to provide privacy so that two people could use the room at the same time. I say "had," because I had the door removed since I live alone and it was always getting in the way of the main bathroom door. With the door removed, it's just a little toilet alcove now.

I just moved into my new build home and it's the same set-up (and I too removed the door to the toilet [and am single]).  Most of the new homes that I looked at had the same set-up: master bathroom had double sinks, shower and a separate small room (with a door) for the toilet.  The toilet room is REALLY narrow and small.  So, many of these house hunters will have to get over the "why do Europeans have a separate room for the toilet?" and realize that this is the way construction is going in many communities in the U.S.  Maybe the 'water closet' is the new granite?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm in Florida with the water closet - I've seen it in houses since the late 90s. My problem with the European ones we see is that the toilet is in a separate room from the sinks, tho. The water closets here have the little room within the main bathroom, not down the hallway.

Of course, nothing tops that apartment in, I think, Frankfurt? where the shower was in the kitchen...

• Love 2

I just built a new house, and had the "toilet room" walls and door removed from the plans.  It makes for so much more room in the bathroom.  I would love to see a house hunter look for a home in Russia and encounter the "hole-in-the-floor" toilets.  I was totally amazed when I attended the ballet at the Bolshoi.  Here were men in tuxes and women in gowns, and the restroom toilets were holes in the floor.  I expected these toilets other places, but not at the Bolshoi theater. People need to travel to appreciate the "conveniences" we have in America, and stop comparing and complaining.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

It is pretty easy, and inexpensive to put a small sink on top of the cistern of the toilet.  Replacing the lid in the back.  

Just now, CalicoKitty said:

I would love to see a house hunter look for a home in Russia and encounter the "hole-in-the-floor" toilets.  I was totally amazed when I attended the ballet at the Bolshoi.  Here were men in tuxes and women in gowns, and the restroom toilets were holes in the floor.  I expected these toilets other places, but not at the Bolshoi theater. People need to travel to appreciate the "conveniences" we have in America, and stop comparing and complaining.

All the places we went to in Paris, late 1970's were the same way.  Enjoy the total Euro charm, and don't be an ugly American is my motto.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just built a new house, and had the "toilet room" walls and door removed from the plans.  It makes for so much more room in the bathroom.  I would love to see a house hunter look for a home in Russia and encounter the "hole-in-the-floor" toilets.  I was totally amazed when I attended the ballet at the Bolshoi.  Here were men in tuxes and women in gowns, and the restroom toilets were holes in the floor.  I expected these toilets other places, but not at the Bolshoi theater. People need to travel to appreciate the "conveniences" we have in America, and stop comparing and complaining.

I could never use those “squat toilets” when I was in China. I taught for a couple of months there and always held it in until I got back to my apartment. 😬

• Love 4

I got used to "squatty potties" when I went to Japan in 1983 for my brother's wedding. That's all they had. His mother in law would actually take the train into town every morning to use the department store toilet! Years later, when on a tour in China, my expertise came in handy. All of the women would wait in line to use the one western style toilet, while I got in and out. 

My favorite thing, however, was over the western style toilet in the department store, they had a diagram of a person squatting on top of the toilet seat, with a diagonal line through it. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Some old parts of Europe, you sometimes run into what are essentially holes in the floor of some public restrooms.

Well at least you don't have to touch anything.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aghst said:

Some old parts of Europe, you sometimes run into what are essentially holes in the floor of some public restrooms.

Well at least you don't have to touch anything.

I had the “special” experience of that type of toilet while traveling in China many years ago.

It was Unforgettable.😬

On 3/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I would love to see a house hunter look for a home in Russia and encounter the "hole-in-the-floor" toilets.

🤯Wow.  Many years ago, I want to say like maybe 25 years ago or so, my in-laws took a trip to Italy. It was one of those bus tours and they saw several cities in maybe 10 days or so. I remember being shocked when my mother-in-law said that the toilets were the same as you stated...holes in the floor. I couldn't believe it. Now, my memory is failing me and perhaps these were just rest stops that the bus would stop at along the way to their tourist destinations, but even still, I was shocked to find this out. Not for me. I need my creature comforts.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

perhaps these were just rest stops that the bus would stop at along the way to their tourist destinations,

Nope. I was in the middle of San Gimignano around that time. Public toilet had several stalls and an elderly gentleman passing out towels. When I saw the hole in the ground, I decided I could make it to the restaurant in Sienna. Went back to Italy many times, never saw one again.😂

Sadly, Italy’s going into a severe third lockdown. France is supposed to follow. Here’s hoping Adrian, Richard and Kevin have enough local business. 

• Love 5

When I was a flight nurse we had to make a stop in Muscat, Oman for fuel.  The other nurse and I dashed in for a pit stop (no toilets in a Learjet).  They had a mixture of both regular toilets and a hole in the floor which we didn't know until we each got into a stall. I lucked out with a regular one but I hard Patty whisper from next door "I think I accidentally went into the shower".  It was a hoot.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 3/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, Jodithgrace said:

My favorite thing, however, was over the western style toilet in the department store, they had a diagram of a person squatting on top of the toilet seat, with a diagonal line through it. 

Back in 1987, at Universal Studios Hollywood, I went to the facilities and saw shoe prints on the toilet seat in the women's stall I went into...

On 3/13/2021 at 4:56 AM, Jodithgrace said:

41 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Back in 1987, at Universal Studios Hollywood, I went to the facilities and saw shoe prints on the toilet seat in the women's stall I went into...

That's why many U.S. tourist attractions and other public locations with lots of international visitors put those signs above the toilets now.

• Love 4

Since an injury a few years ago I find public toilet seats very low and I have a seat raiser at home. I just wonder how older people would manage those toilets. I also wonder when I see a country on a travel show where sitting on the floor is common. How do older people manage? I  know they have been doing it their whole lives but still........?

• Love 6
22 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

🤯Wow.  Many years ago, I want to say like maybe 25 years ago or so,

25 years ago I had to use squat toilets many times in France. I'd be in trouble now if that's still common as I can no longer squat like that (and get back up) due to arthritis. 

Edited by Kenzie
  • Love 2

The funny thing is that while western style toilets were very much a novelty in 1983 when I was there, the Japanese have since taken the concept and run with it. Japanese toilets are now incredibly high tech, with seat warmers, build in bidets, lights, music, and about 20 different settings, to do who knows what! My brother has one in his home in California, and it's always an adventure to use it. Not that you will find them in everyday people's homes, since they are expensive, but the western style toilet has definitely taken over in Japan.

And yes, if I were to go back to Japan, as a 70 year old, I would not be able to cope so well with  the old style squatty potties. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

The funny thing is that while western style toilets were very much a novelty in 1983 when I was there, the Japanese have since taken the concept and run with it. Japanese toilets are now incredibly high tech, with seat warmers, build in bidets, lights, music, and about 20 different settings, to do who knows what! My brother has one in his home in California, and it's always an adventure to use it. Not that you will find them in everyday people's homes, since they are expensive, but the western style toilet has definitely taken over in Japan.

I remodeled and installed a Toto toilet and Toto washlet with all the bells and whistles. It is one of the best parts of my bathroom remodel - especially during the pandemic 🙂

The Japanese hotels all have them and my friend flew the Japanese airline and the airline toilet also had some form of Toto washlet. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

The woman in this Costa Rica look back episode tonight is leaning her head back and looking down. Is there a reason why someone would do that? 

Most likely because she was looking at a HHI producer asking questions over the laptop rather than directly at the camera. 

• Useful 2

Challenging times, you say? Defrauded by the architect and the contractor? I’d watch an episode about how they dug themselves out and into the excellent online reviews their place gets. The boys seem to be thriving, too.

• Love 5
On 2/17/2021 at 4:00 PM, aghst said:

Da Nang couple ended up with the cheapest place so that they wouldn't be pressured to make extra money.

They don't have regular jobs so they have to constantly sell their services.

OK but they're not spring chickens either.  If couple hundred dollars made that much of a difference at this point in their lives, they have to look at making money.  Nice to enjoy life but if they're going for the lowest costs, at least be able to save money but they didn't mention that.

They're not banking money for Social Security either so 20-30 years on, that could be tough too.

Only saving grace is these places have rooftop terraces, though at least one of them may be shared.

Also the locals were surprised to learn they were Americans?😲

Im always amazed by people that dont have a consistent source of income. Im always worried theyre not going to have these homes as long as they expect. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/12/2021 at 4:00 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I was totally amazed when I attended the ballet at the Bolshoi.  Here were men in tuxes and women in gowns, and the restroom toilets were holes in the floor.  I expected these toilets other places, but not at the Bolshoi theater.

Oh my.  I go to the movie theater to see broadcasts of ballets from the Bolshoi theater.  I love the ballets, but if I'm being honest, I almost equally enjoy the cameras they have in the lobby during intermission, where we watch Russians milling around.  Now I get to imagine what's going on in the restrooms. 

And this is the sort of thing I never forget, so if one day you're sitting around wondering whether you ever had a lasting impact on anyone, the answer will be "yes."

• LOL 8

The Algarve, Portugal. Can someone please explain to me why people pierce their face? He comes across as a rude, entitled brat when talking to the realtor. The wife is trying hard to make this move work. And the Matt show wins, they're in the country.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, buttersister said:

Hard pass on the Matt show. I’ve never understood what the attraction is to being the mom of two two little kids and one big one. In another country without a support system? WTF?

What a jerk. Wife probably thought he was funny when they met. Then she matured and he didn't. I'm worried about the kids and the pool.

• Love 6

Those arches that he paddled around were beautiful.

The houses they looked at were blah.  Kind of expensive for being so far away from the coast.  I liked the mini minarets.

Omg, I just saw the episode with the weed farmer in Portugal.  God, he was an asshole.  I would've turned it off except I did want to see more of Portugal.  I liked the first apartment the best - if I'm living in the Algarve, I'm living near the beach.  The last place was actually nice, but I really hope he ends up hating all the work it requires.  Because he was such a dickhead.

• Love 8
On 3/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, Pine said:

Enjoy the total Euro charm, and don't be an ugly American is my motto.

Hole in the floor toilets aren't charm.  I came across some in Greece, and one at the train station in Carcasonne, France.  Thank goodness there was a McDonald's with real toilets nearby.  Yes, it made me appreciate what I have even more.  Hell, I appreciated the toilet without a toilet seat I used at the Vatican after that.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 7:59 PM, Flip Flops said:

I saw an episode with a young couple moving to Amsterdam (I think). They would be there for a few years for his job. What stood out was that snippy realtor. The wife wanted two bedrooms which I didn’t think was unreasonable considering how small they were. In the one bedroom apt, the room was so small, all that was in there was the bed and it about touched the walls. Anyway back to the realtor. I thought she was rude with her snide comments directed at the wife.

Two bedrooms for the price they wanted to pay WAS unreasonable.  It's Europe - you're going to pay a lot for very small rooms, get used to it.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2021 at 11:30 PM, javajeanelaine said:

Crete episode: You have children and you want a beach shack??

Ditch the children, buy the beach shack - that would be my solution.  Of course, I'd never have the children in the first place.  But a beach place in Crete is my idea of heaven.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:34 PM, biakbiak said:

But the point is she was fine paying for both of them to experience those things, it was him making an issue of having to pay for half of it which he himself alluded to.  

I didn't have a problem with him not wanting her to pay for everything.  Absolutely nothing with wanting to pay your own way.  I thought she came across as spoiled.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:05 PM, Grizzly said:

I'll never get these people who want their home to have character. You're in a foreign country, walk outside.

I want character inside, too, if I can afford it.  I don't like modern houses, other than bathrooms/appliances.

2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

didn't have a problem with him not wanting her to pay for everything.  Absolutely nothing with wanting to pay your own way.  I thought she came across as spoiled.

He acknowledged that he never told her that it was an issue for him which is a pretty big thing to not share with someone you said you wanted to marry. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He acknowledged that he never told her that it was an issue for him which is a pretty big thing to not share with someone you said you wanted to marry. 

That's true, but I still was far more on his side than hers.

Cardwell, Australia. I'd move halfway around the world for Ian. Those dimples and the accent! She's not working, why does Sami expect luxuries? So glad they took the one close to his dad.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Cardwell, Australia. I'd move halfway around the world for Ian. Those dimples and the accent! She's not working, why does Sami expect luxuries? So glad they took the one close to his dad.

If those two have children, those kids will have seriously prominent chins.

So Ian has half-brothers who are about the same age as his kids? Well, there’s some part of his dad that is working fine! 😆

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Omg, I just saw the episode with the weed farmer in Portugal.  God, he was an asshole.  I would've turned it off except I did want to see more of Portugal.  I liked the first apartment the best - if I'm living in the Algarve, I'm living near the beach.  The last place was actually nice, but I really hope he ends up hating all the work it requires.  Because he was such a dickhead.

Yeah, I hate to hope for failure, but i kind of hope his business fails and the wife leaves this baby and finds a grown up man to love.

And loses the face piercings.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, cinsays said:

Yeah, I hate to hope for failure, but i kind of hope his business fails and the wife leaves this baby and finds a grown up man to love.

And loses the face piercings.

What face piercings? I saw one little thing near her eye that had to be stick-on since there was no way to insert a backing (for jewelry) there.

32 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

What face piercings? I saw one little thing near her eye that had to be stick-on since there was no way to insert a backing (for jewelry) there.

It looked like a dermal piercing/single point piercing to me where the external jewelry is anchored to a small bar inserted under the skin, that is a common location for them. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 5
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It looked like a dermal piercing/single point piercing to me where the external jewelry is anchored to a small bar inserted under the skin, that is a common location for them. 

My hair would constantly be getting tangled in the jewel.

• Love 3
On 3/19/2021 at 12:39 AM, LittleIggy said:

If those two have children, those kids will have seriously prominent chins.

So Ian has half-brothers who are about the same age as his kids? Well, there’s some part of his dad that is working fine! 😆

Honestly, she was nuts and I don't get him either - it's "oh, we've been farmers" and then "Dad bought this farm 7 years ago" ...uh...that was a whole bunch of not adding up there.

Portugal - wow, they both managed to turn me off. "I need acres to garden" "he's like a big child" - who are these people and why are there so many of them? And how do they move to Portugal and get jobs?

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, ML89 said:

oh, we've been farmers" and then "Dad bought this farm 7 years ago"

It’s entirely possible that his father moved from the farm he grew up on to a new farm 7 years ago. HH being as fake as it is I wouldn’t be surprised if they place they “chose” was actually their old farm because renting a 30 acre farm for that price made no sense. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s entirely possible that his father moved from the farm he grew up on to a new farm 7 years ago. HH being as fake as it is I wouldn’t be surprised if they place they “chose” was actually their old farm because renting a 30 acre farm for that price made no sense. 

Ooh, that makes so much sense...

23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I googled this then got into a long “link click” dive into piercings. Why do people do this to themselves? 🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ML89 said:

Honestly, she was nuts and I don't get him either - it's "oh, we've been farmers" and then "Dad bought this farm 7 years ago" ...uh...that was a whole bunch of not adding up there.

Dad bought the farm? He looked alive to me. 😏

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Why do people do this to themselves? 🙄

For the same reason anyone pierces, tattoos, or otherwise garnishes a body part - it's a way in which they choose to decorate their body, whether temporary, semi-permanent, or permanent.

Across my entire body, I have two piercings and two tattoos.  I'm not perplexed by those who opt for fewer or more.  (I don't wear make-up, which is obviously far more easily removed, but I understand why some choose to paint their face in whole or in part.)

• Love 5
On 3/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, Quof said:

So do you open the door from the water closet without washing your hands? Cuz that's gross.

Yes. And somehow I've survived! I've even survived outhouses for extended periods. 😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 3/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, aghst said:

They had a budget but they could have walked away from their tech jobs with millions.  Certainly $680k in rural France is nothing compared to Bay Area housing prices so if they sold their home there, they'd have more cash.

It's going to take me a few more glasses of wine to decide if I have lived my life all wrong. 😎

• LOL 4
  • Love 1