Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

The arms are BradyBlack-esque, but that's not the Martsolf body.

I think it could be a legacy character, who resurfaced in Beyond Salem II.  Who happens to be a Brady.  Who happens to be gay. 

I keep getting in trouble for spoiler revelations, so we will just have to wait.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Elio Kukui said:

To update the info on Lindsay Arnold's exit, she has her final airdate on February 20, which is this coming Monday.

If she leaves via plane, I wonder if the airline will charge her for the baggage she carries around, and I doubt that chip on her shoulder is going to fit in the overhead bin.  I wonder if she'll get the chance to treat her brother like crap at least one more time?

I was so looking forward to this character but for me, LA landed with a thud and continued that way.  Smug, nasty and self-involved from beginning to end.

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
11 hours ago, boes said:

If she leaves via plane, I wonder if the airline will charge her for the baggage she carries around, and I doubt that chip on her shoulder is going to fit in the overhead bin.  I wonder if she'll get the chance to treat her brother like crap at least one more time?

I was so looking forward to this character but for me, LA landed with a thud and continued that way.  Smug, nasty and self-involved from beginning to end.

I don't blame the actress, but I otherwise agree.  The character was just all wrong.

• Like 6

Since LA did a good job with Devil Allie, proving the problem with normal Allie is the character, not the actress, it also points to the real problem being Ron. He should have made Allie a bad girl and hooked her up with Evan since they had chemistry together.  Plenty of possibilities there.  Not only could they have schemed together (much like Sami and Lucas used to) but there would have been family drama with Orpheus's son in a romantic relationship with a Brady grandchild, which would be shades of Allie's own mom when Sami as a Brady hooked up with a Dimera (EJ). 

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Elio Kukui said:

Problem with that was that it was never going to be viable, given that Brock Kelly would never commit to a long-term deal.  Or, rather, he was open to it, but was never offered the chance to commit to one, for whatever reason.

So the problem is still Ron for not getting BK off recurring and on contract. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Elio Kukui said:

I'd say Ken since he is more responsible for that kind of thing than Ron is.

Ken doesn't have it bad for Brock Kelly like he did for Taniel so that explains that. So frustrating that this show can't see what they have with Brock Kelly. I'll never forget Ken saying outright he wishes he could put Dr. Tan & Jennifer on everyday. I was like, "No shit!"

16 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't blame the actress, but I otherwise agree.  The character was just all wrong.

I don't blame Lindsay either. Carson Boatman has been able to make the character of Johnny work, but that's largely because Carson Boatman is incredibly good at making chemistry with everyone he comes in contact with. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Ken doesn't have it bad for Brock Kelly like he did for Taniel so that explains that. So frustrating that this show can't see what they have with Brock Kelly. I'll never forget Ken saying outright he wishes he could put Dr. Tan & Jennifer on everyday. I was like, "No shit!"

I don't blame Lindsay either. Carson Boatman has been able to make the character of Johnny work, but that's largely because Carson Boatman is incredibly good at making chemistry with everyone he comes in contact with. 

Oh my, I gotta say that I agree about Lindsay, I think she was very good saddled with a writer who had no interest in her character at all. Ron is much more interested in Johnny and you can tell, but I find Carson Boatman to be just above the block of wood that is Brandon Beemer. I mean I guess he's fine for this soap, but little Johnny, who they also used a lot more than little Allie, had me hoping for so much more. CB comes off like generic soap guy number 3, and Sami and EJ's kid should be more than that.

Edited by ihavenoidea
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, RedElf said:

So Greg Vaughn has covid and will be temporarily replaced in episodes airing in August.

cxtqcxg0wyja1.jpg

I remember Jason Gerhardt! He played Cooper Barrett on General Hospital around 2007 (part of the MetroCourt Hostage crisis story, where he was introduced, and paired with Kirsten Storms' Maxie Jones.) And Greg played Lucky then.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember Jason Gerhardt! He played Cooper Barrett on General Hospital around 2007 (part of the MetroCourt Hostage crisis story, where he was introduced, and paired with Kirsten Storms' Maxie Jones.) And Greg played Lucky then.

Yep Lucky was Maxie's love interest around that time too after Cooper I believe.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yep Lucky was Maxie's love interest around that time too after Cooper I believe.

Lucky and Maxie's affair was before Cooper and the Metro Court hostage situation. By the time of the hostage situation, Liz and Lucky were attempting to stay together for "their" baby, but I think the crisis is when Liz told Jason he was the father of the baby.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

Lucky and Maxie's affair was before Cooper and the Metro Court hostage situation. By the time of the hostage situation, Liz and Lucky were attempting to stay together for "their" baby, but I think the crisis is when Liz told Jason he was the father of the baby.

Yep, that's when Liz spilled the beans.

2 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Who are these people?

Just a GH detour since some actors there are now here, etc.

In any case, I have seen casting info dropped months in advance before. So much so, it is often forgotten until said actor shows up.

I can see the news being legit since Jason Gerhardt is not a huge name, so there would be really no reason to make this up, but I guess we'll see come August - assuming this is not forgotten like everything else with the insane tape-to-air schedule this show still has.

(And still stupid since, if something is not working, it would take half a year before changes show up on screen.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Assuming the casting bit about Eric is legit, another board put up a RECENT photo of Jason Gerhardt (versus the younger ones still around that are likely circa his GH stint almost 16 (!) years ago!):

128157283_739609246910686_83401272629084

He has certainly aged well and seems to sort of resemble Greg Vaughan here. So...

This is what he looked like when on GH as a comparison...

504259_v9_ba.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

(And still stupid since, if something is not working, it would take half a year before changes show up on screen.)

On the other hand, when there's a pandemic they will still be able to air new episodes while the rest of the soaps go into reruns lol.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

On the other hand, when there's a pandemic they will still be able to air new episodes while the rest of the soaps go into reruns lol.

Which was great with Y&R and B&B because I made sure to watch those episodes back when the show was good. 

GH however didn't go back far enough for me.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, ihavenoidea said:

Oh my, I gotta say that I agree about Lindsay, I think she was very good saddled with a writer who had no interest in her character at all. Ron is much more interested in Johnny and you can tell, but I find Carson Boatman to be just above the block of wood that is Brandon Beemer. I mean I guess he's fine for this soap, but little Johnny, who they also used a lot more than little Allie, had me hoping for so much more. CB comes off like generic soap guy number 3, and Sami and EJ's kid should be more than that.

Carson Boatman is generic, but damn it, I like him anyway. He kinda just snuck up on me, and I was initially with you because I thought Johnny needed to be broodingly tall, dark, and handsome. Him being short and blond and looking more like Man-Sam was kind of a shock.  I think it's because he's really good at generating chemistry with whoever they're trying to pair him with. I've pretty much been sold on every pairing they've tried with him so far.

I do wonder what it might have been like if Days had managed to snag Nicholas Alexander Chavez for Johnny instead of GH getting him for Spencer Cassadine. I think he toootttttalllly could have played what you had in mind for Johnny.

7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Carson Boatman is generic, but damn it, I like him anyway. He kinda just snuck up on me, and I was initially with you because I thought Johnny needed to be broodingly tall, dark, and handsome. Him being short and blond and looking more like Man-Sam was kind of a shock.  I think it's because he's really good at generating chemistry with whoever they're trying to pair him with. I've pretty much been sold on every pairing they've tried with him so far.

I do wonder what it might have been like if Days had managed to snag Nicholas Alexander Chavez for Johnny instead of GH getting him for Spencer Cassadine. I think he toootttttalllly could have played what you had in mind for Johnny.

Other than wanting Spencer to have a haircut I think he would've been a great Johnny Dimera. 

Oddly enough I'm not big on Spencer unless he has scenes with his grandmother who I do love because she puts him in check. However the actor is great.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Other than wanting Spencer to have a haircut I think he would've been a great Johnny Dimera. 

Oddly enough I'm not big on Spencer unless he has scenes with his grandmother who I do love because she puts him in check. However the actor is great.

He's really good. I'm happy GH found him, but I really wonder what he could have done with Johnny Dimera. I think he started at around the same time that Carson Boatman started as Johnny...maybe. Not sure. The whole timeline's wacky.

Aw, if only...

I wonder if the show will decide to bring back the Khiriakis twins now that Sonny's cleared some space on the canvas. Hey, maybe that could be a role for Brock Kelly to take on! (Okay, probably not, but a boy can dream, can't he?)

• Like 3
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

He's really good. I'm happy GH found him, but I really wonder what he could have done with Johnny Dimera. I think he started at around the same time that Carson Boatman started as Johnny...maybe. Not sure. The whole timeline's wacky.

Aw, if only...

I wonder if the show will decide to bring back the Khiriakis twins now that Sonny's cleared some space on the canvas. Hey, maybe that could be a role for Brock Kelly to take on! (Okay, probably not, but a boy can dream, can't he?)

No he started earlier he came to GH in 2020. Johnny came last year. You have a point there's only so much they could've done with him. At least GH had a plan for how they wanted Spencer even when he was a child as we saw him grow up onscreen more or less. That can't be said for Johnny tbh.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I loved Maxie and Cooper. I'm not allowed to have nice things 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, so there are two of us. Good to know!

They were so popular and then they decided that Maxie needed another dead love(See Nathan too on that)and killed him for no good reason. They got a raw deal. You Lucky I wanted some like Scrubs(I'm a fan but I know you are a bigger one)for Maxie. You know Robin is like the only one who didn't have bad love interest. She got 3 straight good ones which is rare.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nique said:

I wanted some like Scrubs(I'm a fan but I know you are a bigger one)for Maxie. You know Robin is like the only one who didn't have bad love interest. She got 3 straight good ones which is rare.

It is rare. But soaps used to take the time on a pairing and test chemistry and do slow burns. Not anymore. Sigh. (And just to pivot back to GH for half a second, I agree that Coop was killed for no good reason. Probably to put Maxie with Spinelli. And that was a waste, IMO.)

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

It is rare. But soaps used to take the time on a pairing and test chemistry and do slow burns. Not anymore. Sigh. (And just to pivot back to GH for half a second, I agree that Coop was killed for no good reason. Probably to put Maxie with Spinelli. And that was a waste, IMO.)

Yep I loathe Spixie 💯 with you on everything.

• Like 3
On 3/4/2023 at 4:00 AM, methodwriter85 said:

He'd need the Spencer writing to go along with it.  Carson got being the devil and jumping from Chanel, Ava, Wendy no real story compared to what Nicholas gets over at GH. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Nique said:

Yep I loathe Spixie 💯 with you on everything.

Same here. I hated Spinelli even more because he was so deeply connected to Jason who was part of the trio consisting of Sonny and Carly that destroyed General Hospital in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
On 3/4/2023 at 4:00 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Yup, this is totally more what I think Johnny should be. I see people complaining about Lucas Adams and Tripp but I myself see very little difference between him and Carson and Johnny. Same generic pretty boy, same nice boy who loves all the girls. I just don't get it. Why can't they hire someone dynamic anymore? I think the last guy who had a lot of charisma was Billy Flynn, which he, very sadly, has also completely lost.

• Like 5
(edited)
39 minutes ago, ihavenoidea said:

I think the last guy who had a lot of charisma was Billy Flynn, which he, very sadly, has also completely lost.

Billy Flynn got wasted being tied down to Abigail.

It's also rumored that he really, really, really didn't like Kate Mansi.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, ihavenoidea said:

Yup, this is totally more what I think Johnny should be. I see people complaining about Lucas Adams and Tripp but I myself see very little difference between him and Carson and Johnny. Same generic pretty boy, same nice boy who loves all the girls. I just don't get it. Why can't they hire someone dynamic anymore? I think the last guy who had a lot of charisma was Billy Flynn, which he, very sadly, has also completely lost.

I thought Casey Moss had a lot of charisma when he first joined Days. This was back when JJ was morally grey of course they ended up neutering the character and it went downhill after that. Mike Manning was also good as Charlie Dale but I think he became a better character when they actually developed his motivations etc.

A lot of these dud characters would be better if they had the writing to go with it and they don't. So it doesn't matter who they bring on because the actor can only do so much if the writing/motivations aren't there for the character they develop. 

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do think Chad would've been better served if they didn't domesticate Chabby so quickly. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I know it's UO here but I actually like Kate more than Billy lol. For me it's when she left that he lost all the charisma he had, he started stuttering and it's been downhill since.

Kate and Billy actively disdain one another, but I also think that's what made their Chabby work so well, it's like the hate created tension. I do like Marci and actually think she's the best actor of the three, but Chabby was at their peak with Billy and Kate.

Canary Fan is right however, even the most charismatic person ever would have a hard time making anything out of this writing we get with Ron.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ihavenoidea said:

I know it's UO here but I actually like Kate more than Billy lol. For me it's when she left that he lost all the charisma he had, he started stuttering and it's been downhill since.

Kate and Billy actively disdain one another, but I also think that's what made their Chabby work so well, it's like the hate created tension. I do like Marci and actually think she's the best actor of the three, but Chabby was at their peak with Billy and Kate.

Canary Fan is right however, even the most charismatic person ever would have a hard time making anything out of this writing we get with Ron.

I also prefer Kate over Billy I just think she keeps to herself which I can see would rub people the wrong way. I'm rather similar in that regard just do my job then leave. I actually began to like Marci in her last stint probably because she wasn't nearly as tied to Chad and they let her interact with other characters more regularly. She was better with them than BF.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Ciara and Ben should have divorced off screen.  Let Ciara be single and fabulous 

Unfortunately like her brother they only care about the other half of her pairing and don't see her as an individual beyond it. They get that from their mother.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Unfortunately like her brother they only care about the other half of her pairing and don't see her as an individual beyond it. They get that from their mother.

You believe they only saw Hope as an extension of Bo? Not as an individual of her own. I never got that sense from them unlike JnJ who that completely fits

13 hours ago, Nique said:

You believe they only saw Hope as an extension of Bo? Not as an individual of her own. I never got that sense from them unlike JnJ who that completely fits

Yes I don't get how you don't see it. I mean Bo can be friends with his exes while Hope's exes not named Rafe are never seen or heard from again for the most part. Bo never had any real competition when it came to Hope's affections. While Hope had to put up with Megan, Billie and Carly through various decades. I mean sure we had years of Hope without Bo but people complained about how she's only tolerable with Bo(yet I actually like her more than Bo compared to most fans) etc. Course Bo had the good fortune of decent writing to exist beyond Hope if needed can't really say the same for her.

J&J fits in the reverse for once they view the man as the extension of the female counterpart(although they do that with Shelle as a current example).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes I don't get how you don't see it. I mean Bo can be friends with his exes while Hope's exes not named Rafe are never seen or heard from again for the most part. Bo never had any real competition when it came to Hope's affections. While Hope had to put up with Megan, Billie and Carly through various decades. I mean sure we had years of Hope without Bo but people complained about how she's only tolerable with Bo(yet I actually like her more than Bo compared to most fans) etc. Course Bo had the good fortune of decent writing to exist beyond Hope if needed can't really say the same for her.

J&J fits in the reverse for once they view the man as the extension of the female counterpart(although they do that with Shelle as a current example).

It makes sense in that context cause I was looking at it from purely story standpoint 

• Like 3