Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes I don't get how you don't see it. I mean Bo can be friends with his exes while Hope's exes not named Rafe are never seen or heard from again for the most part. Bo never had any real competition when it came to Hope's affections. While Hope had to put up with Megan, Billie and Carly through various decades. I mean sure we had years of Hope without Bo but people complained about how she's only tolerable with Bo(yet I actually like her more than Bo compared to most fans) etc. Course Bo had the good fortune of decent writing to exist beyond Hope if needed can't really say the same for her.

J&J fits in the reverse for once they view the man as the extension of the female counterpart(although they do that with Shelle as a current example).

But with Billie and Carly, Hope was "dead" when Bo first made those initial connections. The show has wanted Hope to have other romances, but they simply didn't stick. I imagine it's because Bo was alive and Bope was the rooting couple. At one point, the show really wanted to sell a Hope/John romance even having Zach be their son until fan backlash caused them to change course. The same thing happened with Hope/Patrick/Ciara, except I don't think the show wanted to sell Hope/Patrick. However, Ciara was obviously supposed to be a Lockheart until the backlash occurred. The show even wanted to sell a Hope/Justin romance when Justin first returned and Bo was with a returned Carly. Billie eventually just became an obstacle for Bope and Carly was shuffled off on Dan and became a drug addict once Bope was in full force again.

After Bo left, there was Daniel Cosgrove's character - I don't remember his name. I'm not certain why that didn't take off, but it obviously wasn't going to go anywhere once they had his son rape Ciara. Then of course there was Hope/Rafe which the show actually did invest in, but again it didn't take off. 

I think the show sees Hope as an individual and an important character, but for some reason, her other romances just didn't click. That's different from Shawn who is there to be cheated on by Belle and be a friend to Chloe. He's not even seen as an active-duty cop anymore, That's Jada and Rafe. He just sits at the desk. It's also different from Ciara whose only characterization was harassing people who raised an eyebrow at Ben.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

But with Billie and Carly, Hope was "dead" when Bo first made those initial connections. The show has wanted Hope to have other romances, but they simply didn't stick. I imagine it's because Bo was alive and Bope was the rooting couple. At one point, the show really wanted to sell a Hope/John romance even having Zach be their son until fan backlash caused them to change course. The same thing happened with Hope/Patrick/Ciara, except I don't think the show wanted to sell Hope/Patrick. However, Ciara was obviously supposed to be a Lockheart until the backlash occurred. The show even wanted to sell a Hope/Justin romance when Justin first returned and Bo was with a returned Carly. Billie eventually just became an obstacle for Bope and Carly was shuffled off on Dan and became a drug addict once Bope was in full force again.

After Bo left, there was Daniel Cosgrove's character - I don't remember his name. I'm not certain why that didn't take off, but it obviously wasn't going to go anywhere once they had his son rape Ciara. Then of course there was Hope/Rafe which the show actually did invest in, but again it didn't take off. 

I think the show sees Hope as an individual and an important character, but for some reason, her other romances just didn't click. That's different from Shawn who is there to be cheated on by Belle and be a friend to Chloe. He's not even seen as an active-duty cop anymore, That's Jada and Rafe. He just sits at the desk. It's also different from Ciara whose only characterization was harassing people who raised an eyebrow at Ben.

This is unintentionally hilarious🤭

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Aidan.  And I think he did click but the writers got distracted. 

The clicking, though, again came at Bo's expense. Rather than "kill" him, a la Hope, the hacks instead thought making Bo a deadbeat that abandoned his family for a thrill was an acceptable way to shove Hope towards Aidan.

Not to me. And, apparently, not to many others.

Hence why I keep saying how I really don't mind or care that Aidan was trashed for Bo, since I consider it karma for the damage done to Bo for Aidan to fly, so to speak...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

You raise valid points there. Although Shawn was involved with Mimi who I think fit with him as an adult compared to Belle(and I wasn't that fond of Mimi tbh). 

Daniel Cosgrove's character was named Aiden and I liked him even if he wasn't involved with Hope he had chemistry with other ladies on the show and they could've paired him with them post-Hope yet they wasted a perfectly good actor. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The clicking, though, again came at Bo's expense. Rather than "kill" him, a la Hope, the hacks instead thought making Bo a deadbeat that abandoned his family for a thrill was an acceptable way to shove Hope towards Aidan.

Not to me. And, apparently, not to many others.

Hence why I keep saying how I really don't mind or care that Aidan was trashed for Bo, since I consider it karma for the damage done to Bo for Aidan to fly, so to speak...

Hmmm....I wouldn't really say it was done *for* Aiden though...

Peter left. The writers didn't write a real ending for Bo. He went away with Caroline to get her treatment, but then she came back alone, and Bo would just occasionally "call" Hope to check in.

Aiden was introduced not on the heels of that, but well after, and by that point, viewers were annoyed that Bo had been AWOL for several years. Peter didn't want to come back, for whatever reason...and the show decided to move Hope's storyline forward without him. Maybe that was revenge against Peter to some extent, but it was also necessary. Hope was doing supporting work only, waiting indefinitely for the husband that seemed not to be returning.

Aiden was a well-conceived character and he and Hope had chemistry. There were a dozen good potential storylines that could be mined from them as a couple and integrated family...but then, they suddenly opted to bring back and wrap up Bo during the 50th anniversary, and make him into a suffering hero saving Hope from a monster.

Aiden was the one abruptly contorted and ruined to make Bo look good for the 5 minutes he was back before he died and left the show again.

...I fully agree that they botched Bo's original exit and Peter's departure, but Aiden had nothing to do with that and he was forever ruined thanks to Bo's triumphant return. It was ugly and stupid and unneccessary and Hope suffered for it too. For years. And us along with her.

I'm not saying you have to favor Aiden as a great love interest over Bo....but let's not lose sight of the fact that Aiden was thoroughly trashed for Bo.

I mean really, suddenly he's killing Hope on their wedding night and then Chase is raping his sister Ciara?

*shudders*

It was character assassination on a scale I never saw before.

It frankly tainted my enjoyment of Bo.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Hmmm....I wouldn't really say it was done *for* Aiden though...

Peter left. The writers didn't write a real ending for Bo. He went away with Caroline to get her treatment, but then she came back alone, and Bo would just occasionally "call" Hope to check in.

Aiden was introduced not on the heels of that, but well after, and by that point, viewers were annoyed that Bo had been AWOL for several years. Peter didn't want to come back, for whatever reason...and the show decided to move Hope's storyline forward without him. Maybe that was revenge against Peter to some extent, but it was also necessary. Hope was doing supporting work only, waiting indefinitely for the husband that seemed not to be returning.

Aiden was a well-conceived character and he and Hope had chemistry. There were a dozen good potential storylines that could be mined from them as a couple and integrated family...but then, they suddenly opted to bring back and wrap up Bo during the 50th anniversary, and make him into a suffering hero saving Hope from a monster.

Aiden was the one abruptly contorted and ruined to make Bo look good for the 5 minutes he was back before he died and left the show again.

...I fully agree that they botched Bo's original exit and Peter's departure, but Aiden had nothing to do with that and he was forever ruined thanks to Bo's triumphant return. It was ugly and stupid and unneccessary and Hope suffered for it too. For years. And us along with her.

I'm not saying you have to favor Aiden as a great love interest over Bo....but let's not lose sight of the fact that Aiden was thoroughly trashed for Bo.

I mean really, suddenly he's killing Hope on their wedding night and then Chase is raping his sister Ciara?

*shudders*

It was character assassination on a scale I never saw before.

It frankly tainted my enjoyment of Bo.

But that new romance was reinforced by some letter from Bo, if I recall. And how he was off on adventure. And Aidan and Hope were on the fast track after that.

So, to me, yeah, Aiden directly benefited from Bo being trashed, all to sell another romance for Hope.

But agree to disagree, since it is all moot these days, anyway! 😎

On 3/11/2023 at 11:16 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes I don't get how you don't see it. I mean Bo can be friends with his exes while Hope's exes not named Rafe are never seen or heard from again for the most part. Bo never had any real competition when it came to Hope's affections. While Hope had to put up with Megan, Billie and Carly through various decades. I mean sure we had years of Hope without Bo but people complained about how she's only tolerable with Bo(yet I actually like her more than Bo compared to most fans) etc. Course Bo had the good fortune of decent writing to exist beyond Hope if needed can't really say the same for her.

J&J fits in the reverse for once they view the man as the extension of the female counterpart(although they do that with Shelle as a current example).

Hope had to put up with that insipid Billie because of bad writing.  We all know that Bo in character would have never rejected Hope point blank period.  It would have made sense for an amnesiac Hope to reject Bo pushing him into Billie's arms. I also would have preferred Hope to have been in Italy during her missing years and had fallen in love with the man who rescued her as an amnesiac. 

I thought that Hope was much better before she died in 1991.  She had the benefit of strong writing by Sherry Anderson who wrote the entire Bo and Hope love story cementing them as a supercouple.  Back in the day, the writers never relied too much on an interloper to make a couple interesting. 

If there was an interloper, they were never really a threat to the established couple.  For example: Anna was never a real threat to Roman and Marlena, she was just annoying. Once she realized that she could not get between them she moved on.. Anna's primary motivation was always about money and  she fell in love with Tony along the way..

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Hope had to put up with that insipid Billie because of bad writing.  We all know that Bo in character would have never rejected Hope point blank period.  It would have made sense for an amnesiac Hope to reject Bo pushing him into Billie's arms. I also would have preferred Hope to have been in Italy during her missing years and had fallen in love with the man who rescued her as an amnesiac. 

I thought that Hope was much better before she died in 1991.  She had the benefit of strong writing by Sherry Anderson who wrote the entire Bo and Hope love story cementing them as a supercouple.  Back in the day, the writers never relied too much on an interloper to make a couple interesting. 

If there was an interloper, they were never really a threat to the established couple.  For example: Anna was never a real threat to Roman and Marlena, she was just annoying. Once she realized that she could not get between them she moved on.. Anna's primary motivation was always about money and  she fell in love with Tony along the way..

Plus there was Carrie if there was anything Anna was threatened by is that Marlena was a better mother to Carrie than she was(at least that's how I saw it). I saw that as a bigger issue for her than Roman tbh.

I do agree with you that it would've been far more preferable for Hope to have had that backstory but like I said in previous posts Bo never had any real competition when it came to Hope. Which would've been the case there. Also that stories were just so much better back then because writers were creative in giving couples obstacles that weren't just an interloper.

• Like 4

Reading around the 'net, apparently, there are RUMORS floating around that Martha Madison may be gone. Seems she allegedly scrubbed anything Days from her social media, focused on some other job she has (non acting), and there is (maybe just spit-balling!) talk of Belle being recast...

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Reading around the 'net, apparently, there are RUMORS floating around that Martha Madison may be gone. Seems she allegedly scrubbed anything Days from her social media, focused on some other job she has (non acting), and there is (maybe just spit-balling!) talk of Belle being recast...

Wow I wonder what happened. I mean to scrub anything Days related must be serious. I mean we know how many actors have left only to return at some point. Maybe a Belle recast might spark with Shawn although ironically enough I thought MM's version had chemistry with everyone but Shawn.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Wow I wonder what happened. I mean to scrub anything Days related must be serious. I mean we know how many actors have left only to return at some point. Maybe a Belle recast might spark with Shawn although ironically enough I thought MM's version had chemistry with everyone but Shawn.

Maybe the show wants to put renewed focus on Shawn/Belle due to recent story events, and maybe TPTB want a version that is more chemistry driven?

(Or maybe none of that. But it is odd.)

• Like 4

FYI - I did a quick check on Martha Madison's Facebook page, and while there isn't anything posted since November of last year, there are plenty of references to DOOL, all of them positive.

ETA - and there are several pictures on her Instagram page of her with Brandon Beemer, Bryan Dattilo and Eric Martsolf, maybe more.

Edited by boes
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
29 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I highly doubt she is gone their was a picture posted on Twitter of her & Dee who just got back in Salem. There was one with Brandon Beemer too & Mary Beth. It was posted about 2-3 days ago. 

I don't care about them recasting but they barely write for the character now so I'm of mind what is the point if true.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, boes said:

FYI - I did a quick check on Martha Madison's Facebook page, and while there isn't anything posted since November of last year, there are plenty of references to DOOL, all of them positive.

ETA - and there are several pictures on her Instagram page of her with Brandon Beemer, Bryan Dattilo and Eric Martsolf, maybe more.

Just found a post stating said scrubbing was on Instagram.

But if FB is still mentioning the show, then it probably is just the usual spec gone awry!

1 minute ago, Nique said:

I don't care about them recasting but they barely write for the character now so I'm of mind what is the point if true.

This sentence describes so many besides MM. Just goes to show how half-assed things are these days, and the revolving casting door doesn't help.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just found a post stating said scrubbing was on Instagram.

But if FB is still mentioning the show, then it probably is just the usual spec gone awry!

This sentence describes so many besides MM. Just goes to show how half-assed things are these days, and the revolving casting door doesn't help.

The stuff about her leaving started at Daytime Royalty a Days site who mods are pretty reliable in the inside information stuff. Days higher up look at that board. Someone on Twitter who also revealed where they saw it at also said that they think at DR that she is filming her last few scenes 

I just checked her Instagram and she did scrub it.

https://www.instagram.com/marth27/

Edited by Nique
Added
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

What does 'scrub' mean? Just like she took Days out of her bio? Because she still has plenty of pics of the cast on there.

But if she had Days in her bio and doesn't now, she's probably gone. She'll probably be back eventually like everyone else though lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

What does 'scrub' mean? Just like she took Days out of her bio? Because she still has plenty of pics of the cast on there.

But if she had Days in her bio and doesn't now, she's probably gone. She'll probably be back eventually like everyone else though lol.

The Days part I saw her IG she has a pic of her and Brandon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That's what I thought she will be back they all do. She use to have Days at that very top but it's gone now. I follow her on IG

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Elio Kukui said:

Martha's been a restarateur for the last decade.  She probably wanted to focus more on her restaurant than on the show, provided that this is true.

I remember she was also doing a lot of web soaps, but that was pre-COVID.

In any event she's been in and out the revolving door pretty consistently for the past 10-15 years.

• Like 5

Starting at the 18:30 mark, LS says she's back at Days. She's only been back for one day at the time she had this interview. Much later in the interview, she said she saw Judith Evans/Adrienne/Bonnie, so she must still be filming, too. 

She doesn't give any details as to what she's doing.

She also mentions not being a fan of the Carly "Buried Alive" storyline, and she mentions how she tried to play it in a way to save herself as she thought it would destroy the character. She credits Reilly for injecting enough humor in the storyline to not damage the character/Vivian.

It's odd. She says she thought the storyline was presented in a humorous or funny manner. I thought the story was more macabre. I do think her example of Carly and Vivian talking on the phone in the morning does inject enough camp into the story that Vivian didn't come off as a complete monster.

I also think it's funny that people seem to always forget that Vivian was hopped up on some mystery drugs during that storyline.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Have to admit I am surprised as she has been here since 1996 and never left either until now.

Its Days though doesn't mean the exit is permanent but I wonder if there are budget cuts with the renewal? After all its not like Days is going to get more $$ right?

• Like 4
Just now, DisneyBoy said:

😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

45 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Apparently Lauren Koslow is out and has been for awhile. 

Really?  Can I ask where you read it?  

I've been searching online and all I can find are articles/mentions that refer to when she and Deirdre and Mary Beth "died".  Which of course, they didn't.  I can't find anything that says she's left or is planning on leaving.

• Useful 3
18 minutes ago, boes said:

Really?  Can I ask where you read it?  

I've been searching online and all I can find are articles/mentions that refer to when she and Deirdre and Mary Beth "died".  Which of course, they didn't.  I can't find anything that says she's left or is planning on leaving.

Its on Twitter but I think its short term tbh

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

The Lauren Koslow news sort of surprises me if just because Kate has finally been pretty prominently featured of late, but maybe LK is ready to retire.

Or, yeah, this is one of those temporary revolving-door exits.

I would be genuinely shocked if this is permanent, since Kate/LK has been on the show now for close to 30 years (!), and other vets have stayed the course.

I guess time will tell the tale.

• Like 5

Yeah, I am sure it is just her turn to wait off camera for her story to be done. I got excited about Sarah (LG) leaving, but I am guessing that she will be back, too, although I can't stand the actress. At least Kate is having a nice story right now and getting off some good zingers.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The Lauren Koslow news sort of surprises me if just because Kate has finally been pretty prominently featured of late, but maybe LK is ready to retire.

Or, yeah, this is one of those temporary revolving-door exits.

I would be genuinely shocked if this is permanent, since Kate/LK has been on the show now for close to 30 years (!), and other vets have stayed the course.

I guess time will tell the tale.

It's Temp she taking time off for her daughter's wedding 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
On 3/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, DanaMB said:

It seems like allthe exits lately are short term. It’s confusing. I guess I should just stop reading spoilers. 😂

It's mainly because this show cannot afford to keep people on staff that aren't actually being used.

Honestly, I kind of wish General Hospital would utilize this more because it's ridiculous how they'll keep featuring actors every day even when it's clear they don't currently have a story.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's mainly because this show cannot afford to keep people on staff that aren't actually being used.

Honestly, I kind of wish General Hospital would utilize this more because it's ridiculous how they'll keep featuring actors every day even when it's clear they don't currently have a story.

I agree. I just wish they wouldn’t hype it up as the actor leaving the show. 

• Applause 5
26 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Charlotte Ross is posting on her Instagram hints that she’s coming back as Eve. She says they’ve been in talks. Yay!

Oh, PLEASE let it happen this time! (I say this time, because - if I recall - Charlotte Ross was in talks before, but they fell through, which led to Kassie DePaiva getting the role!)

I don't even dislike Kassie. She seems like a sweetie, but she wasn't Eve. Still, hey, if the guys can have multiple roles, maybe bring Kassie back [assuming she wants to!] as Melissa Horton. Maybe she can tag along with Sarah. Or, if not Melissa - since Lisa Trusel seems to still recur minus the short recast in 1990 with Camilla Scott - maybe a Horton cousin?

We've talked about Julie's brother, Steve. She could be his daughter or an offspring of the forgotten Tommy Horton Jr. or something.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

Charlotte Ross is posting on her Instagram hints that she’s coming back as Eve. She says they’ve been in talks. Yay!

I'm very hesitant about this on the other hand she's the best Eve Donovan (and I wanted her back for the JJ/Eve affair personally.) However Ron is writing it and given how Eve left the show I have no desire to see her be chummy/cordial with her daughter's killer.

10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, PLEASE let it happen this time! (I say this time, because - if I recall - Charlotte Ross was in talks before, but they fell through, which led to Kassie DePaiva getting the role!)

I don't even dislike Kassie. She seems like a sweetie, but she wasn't Eve. Still, hey, if the guys can have multiple roles, maybe bring Kassie back [assuming she wants to!] as Melissa Horton. Maybe she can tag along with Sarah. Or, if not Melissa - since Lisa Trusel seems to still recur minus the short recast in 1990 with Camilla Scott - maybe a Horton cousin?

We've talked about Julie's brother, Steve. She could be his daughter or an offspring of the forgotten Tommy Horton Jr. or something.

Charlotte also booked a role on Nashville at the time 

Jen Lilley is returning as Theresa which makes me wonder if this is related to Victor.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I'm very hesitant about this on the other hand she's the best Eve Donovan (and I wanted her back for the JJ/Eve affair personally.) However Ron is writing it and given how Eve left the show I have no desire to see her be chummy/cordial with her daughter's killer.

Since Ben is Alex now, I assume Ron would go for an Eve/Alex pairing with lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink references. I could see the two watching "My Daughter's Killer" on Peacock together.

If Eve does return, I wonder if the show would try her with Brady again. I actually think her Eve and EJ could be interesting.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Jen Lilley is returning as Theresa which makes me wonder if this is related to Victor.

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

😃😃😃😃😃😃

Praise the lord! Where did you read this?

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

Since Ben is Alex now, I assume Ron would go for an Eve/Alex pairing with lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink references. I could see the two watching "My Daughter's Killer" on Peacock together.

If Eve does return, I wonder if the show would try her with Brady again. I actually think her Eve and EJ could be interesting.

I personally think if CR is returning it's short term. Like this is all for Victor/John's farewell and not any major storyline.

25 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

😃😃😃😃😃😃

Praise the lord! Where did you read this?

It was on the #Days twitter yesterday. Course there's no official announcement but I trust this person tbh.

• Like 4

I personally think if CR is returning it's short term. Like this is all for Victor/John's farewell and not any major storyline.

Considering Eve is in the mental ward, I don't know how she can easily pop back in for a funeral with a different face without it being jarring (for those of us who care about that kind of stuff LOL).

Why would she anyway - Victor treated her badly right?

• Like 4