Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

The Steve news makes me very happy!! Maybe he'll come back and knock some sense into Jack. Yay! 

Too bad we won't see him for another 6 months. I hate their taping schedule.

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Yay!  Very glad to hear about SN.  So he should show up on-screen in about five months? 

Speculation is that he'll show up around November sweeps. They film right around 7 months ahead now, but he began filming ~1 month ago. 🙂

• Love 3

How the hell are they going to justify his long absence? Another "Bo tortured" story? More "forgive me sweetness, this time I'll stay!" deadbeat husband apologizing?

They're in a hole, that's for sure.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

How the hell are they going to justify his long absence? Another "Bo tortured" story? More "forgive me sweetness, this time I'll stay!" deadbeat husband apologizing?

I have a feeling this is going to be really bad and we'll wish Steve was never resurrected in 2006. 

The Steve/Jack scenes should be good that's really what I'm looking forward to above all else.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

At least, unlike Bo, they don't have to stretch a 2 week,  or whatever it was, actor availability into weeks and weeks, and they don't have to kill the character off at the end of the arc, so that should make it better. 

I'm just glad he's coming back, so they can gloss over it however they want, and get on with something new. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

At least, unlike Bo, they don't have to stretch a 2 week,  or whatever it was, actor availability into weeks and weeks, and they don't have to kill the character off at the end of the arc, so that should make it better. 

I'm just glad he's coming back, so they can gloss over it however they want, and get on with something new. 

Same for me.  I don't care why as long as he's back.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Just say he was abducted by aliens that wiped the weird bionic eye story from his memory. I don't give a damn. I'm just glad Steve is back. For Kayla, and even more for JACK. I want more Johnson Brothers stuff.

• Love 8

They've been saying Steve's been on a mission so I think it'll just be written as a really long super secret mission and either Steve and Kayla can deal with his choice to do this instead of stay and deal or they can gloss over it. 

Unlike some of the other long disappearances, they're at least giving him a reason for being away and the characters are in constant communication with him. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

They've been saying Steve's been on a mission so I think it'll just be written as a really long super secret mission and either Steve and Kayla can deal with his choice to do this instead of stay and deal or they can gloss over it. 

Unlike some of the other long disappearances, they're at least giving him a reason for being away and the characters are in constant communication with him. 

He's supposedly still trying to catch the bad guys responsible for using his bionic eye to spy.  Kayla has been supportive of his need to restore his reputation and credibility - mostly because she feels guilty for getting him in to that mess in the first place.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just say he was abducted by aliens that wiped the weird bionic eye story from his memory. I don't give a damn. I'm just glad Steve is back. For Kayla, and even more for JACK. I want more Johnson Brothers stuff.

And it's going to be so nice to see Kayla have an actual story instead of being everybody's emotional support.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Long or short term, I don't know, since I don't have the app. But just when you thought it was safe, Abby and Chad return this fall.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!  Eh hem... I'm fine. I'm fine.  I am fi - FUCK.... Nope, I'm okay. It'll be fine.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!  Eh hem... I'm fine. I'm fine.  I am fi - FUCK.... Nope, I'm okay. It'll be fine.

Co-signed.

Couldn't Billy have returned solo?

Let's hope Failure gets cold-shouldered by Gabi. And that she sleeps with Ben again and sets them both on fire.

...why couldn't Theresa have come back??

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

Maybe  they're only back for a short arc.  We can only hope!!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, buffynut said:

I heard he's not going to be sticking around long term SN that is I forgot who said this on Twitter though.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought Kate Mansi had big plans & offers. I guess Hallmark likes Jen Lilley better. 

Kate Mansi never did Hallmark movies just Lifetime ones regardless I think its a short term stint even if its long term its not big deal either I don't see Days lasting beyond their current renewal. I'm glad Hallmark likes JL so much because she's not coming back to Days with a better gig like that.

Course JJ/Casey Moss will get shoved to the background and considering the current story he's in its probably a blessing in disguise.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I heard he's not going to be sticking around long term SN that is I forgot who said this on Twitter though.

If he left over not getting the amount of guaranteed days he was looking for, why would he agree to a short stint?

• Love 4

He needs the money? He's an aging soap actor its not as if GH or Y&R were knocking down his door(although GH should've I wouldn't have minded a Stefan return especially with Kevin/Laura, Alexis and Spencer on the show). 

I'm hearing its bad because those who don't like SN or Stayla are rather gleeful about how bad this is going to be.

(edited)
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Long or short term, I don't know, since I don't have the app. But just when you thought it was safe, Abby and Chad return this fall.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

I'm already waiting out one horrible story on this show; if Kate Mansi's stay is longer than a few episodes then I may just DVR, forget to watch it, and let it fade away from my daily routine.  How disappointing, especially when paired with the rumor that SN's stay may be short.

ETA:  I don't do Twitter and so am surprised that Steve and Kayla elicit so much vitriol.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 5
(edited)

When I read stuff like that it's like I'm living in backwards would. SN and MBP are wonderful, Kate Mansi is terrible....and yet....??? Apparently not to some folks.

Speculation is that Gabi and Stefan get married, Gabi gets pregnant, Stefan dies, Gabi takes over DiMera, and Chad comes back to fight her for it.

That sounds pretty good to me. 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, boes said:

Same for me.  I don't care why as long as he's back.

And me, @buffynut and @boes

8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Speculation is that Gabi and Stefan get married, Gabi gets pregnant, Stefan dies, Gabi takes over DiMera, and Chad comes back to fight her for it.

All of this happens within a few months? I'm skeptical. But that IS one of the things that would bring Chad back to town....at any rate, the show is making some moves. Since I'm fond of Chabby and love Steve and Kayla, I'm pleased. And I'll take any other thoughts over to the Unpopular thread, lol. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Speculation is that Gabi and Stefan get married, Gabi gets pregnant, Stefan dies, Gabi takes over DiMera, and Chad comes back to fight her for it.

Sounds like something Ron would do.  Give Gabi all that power and story (since she is one of his favorites).  We all know that she’s going to end up pregnant.  All of that happening would definitely bring Chad back to town, but that doesn’t sound like a short stay.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Nooooooooooooooooo!

I'm already waiting out one horrible story on this show; if Kate Mansi's stay is longer than a few episodes then I may just DVR, forget to watch it, and let it fade away from my daily routine.  How disappointing, especially when paired with the rumor that SN's stay may be short.

ETA:  I don't do Twitter and so am surprised that Steve and Kayla elicit so much vitriol.

I was just thinking I would put DOOL back on the DVR daily with SN's return, but then to see KM is returning too.  AAUUGGHH!!! No!!! What did the viewers do to deserve her return?   Not sure what's going to happen with the Stayla story since this is the first I've heard of it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

When I read stuff like that it's like I'm living in backwards would. SN and MBP are wonderful, Kate Mansi is terrible....and yet....??? Apparently not to some folks.

Speculation is that Gabi and Stefan get married, Gabi gets pregnant, Stefan dies, Gabi takes over DiMera, and Chad comes back to fight her for it.

That sounds pretty good to me. 

So Chad would fight the little woman but would be too yellow to take on someone his own size like Stefan.  Sounds like Chad.

Edited by bobcat1946
  • LOL 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought Kate Mansi had big plans & offers. I guess Hallmark likes Jen Lilley better. 

17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Co-signed.

Couldn't Billy have returned solo?

Let's hope Failure gets cold-shouldered by Gabi. And that she sleeps with Ben again and sets them both on fire.

...why couldn't Theresa have come back??

I think it's two-fold:  Jen Lilley's been making Hallmark movies and the actress is pregnant in real life.

I kind of love that Kate Mansi has gotten a good dose of reality--no one other then a daytime soap opera will hire her smug, entitled one note ass.  Damn funny :)

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 4
(edited)

Kate Mansi had a handful of Lifetime roles.  She was generally cast as crazy obsessive types which is vastly more suited to her talents than ingenue. 

Ironically, Jen Lilly is more suited to ingenue and sweet roles than vixens and is, thus, thriving on Hallmark which favors frothy, airy stories.

ETA:  I admit to an unreasonable and ridiculously petty degree of schadenfreude when Billy Flynn  and both Abigails failed to take home Emmys last night.  

Edited by RachelKM
add snark
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Nooooooooooooooooo!

This is a short term Chabby visit sounds like its just for the holidays which I'm not bothered by I figued we'd see them before the show ended I was hoping for at least a year though. Some speculate that they were brought back briefly because VK won't renew her contract and if there's no Cin maybe a brief Chabby stint might do the trick.(I would think a decent budget and good writers would be a better option but I digress).

11 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wish it would give Roman more story but it's probably just Anna and Tony reuniting.

Does anyone care at this point?

I don't get why Roman/Anna broke up off screen I mean really at least it gave him something. 

Although Tony/Anna are my OTP of the two characters so I rather see them reunite and then leave the show because I don't want Ron ruining them like he has everything else.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Kate Mansi had a handful of Lifetime roles.  She was generally cast as crazy obsessive types which is vastly more suited to her talents than ingenue. 

Ironically, Jen Lilly is more suited to ingenue and sweet roles than vixens and is, thus, thriving on Hallmark which favors frothy, airy stories.

I’m in Australia where Hallmark and Lifetime movies are not a thing.  I curious as to whether they are considered a step up from soaps? Any I’ve caught when in the US would suggest not to me, but I’m never sure from the comments here...

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, BoldDays said:

I’m in Australia where Hallmark and Lifetime movies are not a thing.  I curious as to whether they are considered a step up from soaps? Any I’ve caught when in the US would suggest not to me, but I’m never sure from the comments here...

I guess it would depend on what you mean by "step up."  Neither are necessarily a launching pad for a networks series or theatrical movies.

I don't know which would be considered "better."  Hallmark movies are having a moment right now.  They're very cookie cutter and "happy."  But if you are liked by the network or audience, it can become a bit lucrative for women.  Alison Sweeney has had two different mystery series that she starred in and produced plus a few other plain romcom movies.  Jen Lilley has been in a few romcom movies for the network. 

The low budget Lifetime movies tend to be more "wome in peril."  Every once in a while it'll have a good movie with a legit star but most of them aren't like that. 

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, BoldDays said:

I would generally agree with Irlandesa's assessment. It's probably a mostly a lateral move, maybe a slight improvement.  I would think that, at present, Hallmark is the slightly higher setting.

Lifetime gained quite a reputation for women in peril stories dating back to the 90s.  My friends and I used to jokingly refer to it as the Women in Jeopardy Channel.  I legitimately wondered how the network would fair with the advent of keyless entry since women dropping their car keys as they ran to escape was such a trope for them. 

At its peak, Lifetime tended to cast primetime actors and actresses, mostly from primetime soaps such as 90210 and Melrose Place and the like and 90s teen stars transitioning to adulthood. Tori Spelling had quite a run for a time. (For reals, Mother May I Sleep With Danger is a legit touchstone for women of my generation.  If you ever come across it, I recommend it for the truly glorious ridiculousness of it.) They've tried to change their image with some non-stalker themed series.  And they are sometimes not bad.  But the movies are still ludicrous and at this point it seem to be mostly filled soap actors trying to get a foothold and former primetime actors.

Hallmark favors paint by numbers rom-coms and cheeky upbeat mystery series. Hallmark seems to have a stable of actors and churns out hundreds of movies a year, particularly holiday films.  The actors seem to be a combination of former daytime and primetime actors of limited notariety and a slew of Canadian actors who also appear in SyFy channel shows (yeah, I watch too much TV).  They are legitimately charming, however, and are better received than the Lifetime stuff.  And once you get in with them, the work appears to be consistent.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Works for me as I always thought Will should've stayed dead.

Course I always felt they brought him back so it would be easier for Ben to be acclimated back to the show despite being an SK.

Will is a legacy character/fan favorite nobody would've cared about the other three victims of his being dead.

Although I had no issue with Nurse Wendy or Serena and liked both of them more than Will.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Rumor is Chandler might be leaving.

And that would be the final straw as far as me watching this show goes. Who could blame him, though? Ron's take on Will is terrible, and the stories he's gotten since the Memphis arc and fallout have been atrocious, save Will's memory returning. I still doubt it's him, but this would be the easiest time to walk away from the show if it is.

• Love 3

The writing for will isn't that great but I think the way American soaps writ e gay characters is terrible there not allowed to make mistakes or be flawed.

on the UK soaps the gay characters are treated the same as the straight characters.

• Love 7

I'm curious to see what comes next after this tumor storyline. Do Will and Sonny wed? Does one of them cheat? What happens to Will the writer?

I'd rather he didn't leave, but if Chandler does we have another six months of Will.

• Love 3