Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

SID said on Twitter they wished Sonny would rip DenAva's wig off & someone else asked what that would prove. Mo's response? 'That he's not an idiot'! I legitimately laughed out loud...the shade, man! THE SHADE!!

Hahaha. That's fantastic. 

I've seen lots of talk about ripping "Denise's" wig off but while Maura West is clearly wearing a wig, is Denise wearing one?  I assumed that Ava would have committed to this and actually died her hair and added extensions.  It seems like if she was going to come back claiming to be her own twin sister she wouldn't be dumb enough to be exposed if her wig slipped off.  I've been operating on the assumption that we are supposed to believe that is Ava's real hair now..

What was on that Friday?????

Sabrina talked Michael into giving back little A.J.

I'm so pissed about that plot development I'm seriously hoping that ratings for Monday sink below 1.0.

I would feel much worse for Ron if the stories he chooses to tell weren't so mean spirited.

If he is on his way out, I shudder to think what he'll trash on the way out, just for spite.

This is what chaps my ass the most about this douche dickhead.  He disses the role that made him famous in daytime, he disses the medium that allowed him to do very little while feeding his ego and his bank account, and apparently, also, his fantasy life of the tremendous body of work he's done that apparently NOBODY but him, even IMDB, seem to know about.  

I don't think it's the "tremendous body of work he's done that nobody but him knows about", it's "the tremendous body of work he COULD HAVE done if I weren't for 'Luke Spencer' dogging him around".  Just as shitty of an attitude, but coming from a slightly different place.

But I don't even know if I can say in good conscience that replacing Ron with one of the usual rent-a-hacks would be worth it; none of them are going to have the love for some of the show that he does, for all his massive flaws. Getting Jean Passanante to take over, or Megan McTavish or whoever would be the death knell - they're both worse than him.

Oh shit - we're going to see that fuckhead Guza swan back in and turn the show back into the "Sonny and Jason Worship Hour" again, aren't we?

I would seriously rather see the show cancelled than him back in charge.

• Love 4
it's "the tremendous body of work he COULD HAVE done if I weren't for 'Luke Spencer' dogging him around".  Just as shitty of an attitude, but coming from a slightly different place.

I'm not dissing his talents but he doesn't know that. And, when he needed to pay the bills he (apparently) was very eager to re-connect with GH again and ask for Genie when Bill E. didn't work out. He had his millions after a few years of that stuff and could have left just to do plays even, but he didn't. By that time he enjoyed the steady income and respect, including his awards, he had with GH. 

And now he's trashing the very brilliant storyline that made TV history and his career. I have NO sympathy for him. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Not only did he sit back and collect his millions, but he didn't use the power that he at least when Jill and Bob were in charge and go to bat for Genie when she asked for the summer of 2002 off because her husband was directing a movie in London.

Similarly, Jackie strongly hinted that when she fired by Jill that Tony didn't say a word, didn't reach out, etc,. I distinctly remember her naming specific people including Kristina and Kin, and then saying something akin to 'certain friends for decades forgetting about her'.

He used his influence to make Luke a kiddie killer that drove drunk but didn't have a drinking problem, but didn't do a damn thing when it came out to his colleagues, one of whom he owes his entire career to.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 9
(edited)

I just don't understand TG's thought process.  The "Dark" Luke he always wanted was not an interesting character.  There were always dark aspects of the guy, but he loved Laura and Lucky, for sure.  That I knew.  The Luke of the 1990s was dark, but it was balanced with light.  I think of when Laura and Luke confronted each other about the rape when Lucky found out ("Day of Reckoning"). Those were some great scenes.  Luke said to Laura something like, he was waiting to be punished, but the hangman never came.  Maybe the writing was just better, but I think when TG pulled away from Laura and JJ left the show, he started on a suck ass road.  Maybe that's it, because Luke was always at his best with JJ's Lucky, even between 2009 and 2011 with the Jake scenes.  

also, I always thought post-Laura, that Luke and Alexis should have been a couple as opposed to Tracy and Luke.  Didn't Genie Francis once say she liked Luke with Alexis?  

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 4
Maybe that's it, because Luke was always at his best with JJ's Lucky, even between 2009 and 2011 with the Jake scenes.

From what I've seen and read Geary has allot of respect for JJ. Not only does or did he personally like him, JJ got the emmys, has developed a successful acting and singing career, he's also a nice person (I think) religious etc. and is one of the few people who can stand up to him, KNOWS the history and has made some very unbiased and intelligently negative comments on Geary changing Luke and Luke's history. Kinda like us when we shake our heads in disbelief. 

• Love 5
also, I always thought post-Laura, that Luke and Alexis should have been a couple as opposed to Tracy and Luke.  Didn't Genie Francis once say she liked Luke with Alexis?

Yep, I read an article where Genie said that exact thing. Interesting couple and doubly interesting if they'd allow Laura and Stefan. Many people yelped that how could Laura attach herself to someone who was a Cassadine and a witness to Stavros' kidnapping but, hey, when there's chemistry, there's chemistry. They could have worked around it which they almost did but the plug was pulled. Same with Luke and Alexis - would Luke ever love a Cassadine? well maybe if it was Alexis cause they too had chemistry.

• Love 1
(edited)

Similarly, Jackie strongly hinted that when she fired by Jill that Tony didn't say a word, didn't reach out, etc,. I distinctly remember her naming specific people including Kristina and Kin, and then saying something akin to 'certain friends for decades forgetting about her'.

Yes, it was in an SOD interview in 2012. The full interview isn't online, but this article has some of it. And yes, she cites Lynn, Kristina and Kin as being among her "real friends":

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2012/08/jacklyn-zemans-bombshell-gh-interview

But of course, she came back to GH a few months later, so things could be better between her and Tony now, I don't know. 

That said, when JFP and MMcT were going to write Bobbie off in 2001 as going crazy over Roy & Melissa, Tony DID step up for her there. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)

That said, when JFP and MMcT were going to write Bobbie off in 2001 as going crazy over Roy & Melissa, Tony DID step up for her there.

Tony probably realized that Melissa (and to a lesser extant Roy) was eating and killing the show.

Seriously, I remember missing a week or so because my vcr broke or something and then watching again and wondering "who the hell is this woman". She was having scenes with Felicia and someone else and it was clear her dialogue had originally been written for Bobbie because it made no sense for her to having those conversations with those characters.

She was put into the credits immediately and given a prominent spot, she was on every single day, and the soap press was making this huge deal over Jensen Buchanan being on GH, but the AOL alt group or whatever I was part of at the time hated her. And then mercifully she was suddenly gone. I guess she was the original Franco/Nina, except then the network or whoever stepped in and did something whereas those two have been around for over a year now.

ETA: I think it was Sonny and they were talking about Carly and it was like 'does this woman even know Carly?!?'.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1
(edited)

I said it already, but that's exactly what it means. I've seen it a few times over the years, but I'm kind of surprised it isn't a LOT more commonplace like Jiz is. You'd think it would be, given how much more hated they are and how destructive they have been for the show. 

I have called Sonny scummy Coruptous for yeeaarrs. The mod said not to I have tied to cease and desist. Its hard to tho. I hate just the sight of the guy before he even opens his mouth. Another reason I hate him is no matter what disgusting things he has done tiic always make the characters take it back Example Karen W , Robin , Even Mac stopped trying to put him in jail because Robin said he was good to Stone and  let him stop Running for him, and donated some dirty money to the hospital. I always have felt the same way about Snarley.

Edited by testardo

Wasn't it supposed to be Steven Lars?

If they wanted to pair RH with Carly, that would have been a more sensible choice, given how Steven and Carly dated during the Alcazar days. Was the choice to have RH play Franco basically about having him play as Ron's bizarro version of Todd?

• Love 3

I rarely link to this site, but it's probably one of the bigger sites in today's dying soap industry, and those who run it are always happy to get involved with defending Ron and Frank and making sure we know it's anyone else's fault. 

Their "suggestions" for improvement (give Sonny a big story because he's a hot central lead and deserves more, just tone Nina and Franco down and they'll be fine as leads, keep Ron and Frank because they saved GH once and can do it again) are a great example of how difficult it will be to make major changes in the show - the adoration for Ron and Frank and their version of GH and the enabling of them, even as ratings are at an ever-decreasing all time low and Ron has become a bad joke on social media, means that they're even less likely to ever bother to get, or listen to, constructive criticism. 

There's an idea out there that it's more important to care about the people who write or producer a show than caring about the actual show itself. It's one of the things that has killed daytime, and helped kill GH (all the Luza worship that cropped up in the mid-90s and helped give him far more power than his talent ever warranted). And I guess it will take subzero ratings for that to change.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2015/07/03/general-hospital-is-in-ratings-trouble

• Love 2

I mean, judging by their comments ol' Jamey is getting clowned, so there's that. What cracks me up is how he seems very concerned about not suggesting too many changes - like, say, getting rid of several of the show's biggest weaknesses, because RC's ego is deeply invested in them and that might offend Ron.

I think the tide has turned against GH and that regime lately in a way I haven't seen before and I think some soap bloggers are too personally compromised to be able to handle addressing it, but I also have had no indication the network has any interest in a change. They're marking time. If they force a change, that may mean they're open to another renewal.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've seen lots of talk about ripping "Denise's" wig off but while Maura West is clearly wearing a wig, is Denise wearing one?  I assumed that Ava would have committed to this and actually died her hair and added extensions.  It seems like if she was going to come back claiming to be her own twin sister she wouldn't be dumb enough to be exposed if her wig slipped off.  I've been operating on the assumption that we are supposed to believe that is Ava's real hair now..

As much as we kid about Ron explaining plot points on twitter, he did jut that in this instance.  He tweeted that Ava dyed her hair and got extensions.

Edited by Francie
Tony probably realized that Melissa (and to a lesser extant Roy) was eating and killing the show.

Seriously, I remember missing a week or so because my vcr broke or something and then watching again and wondering "who the hell is this woman". She was having scenes with Felicia and someone else and it was clear her dialogue had originally been written for Bobbie because it made no sense for her to having those conversations with those characters.

I do love that it bit ABC/JFP, however, since at the time JB/Melissa debuted, P&G/ATWT did an "I don't think so!" because JB was still airing on that soap as her AW character, Vicky, and almost got sued (Melissa had to be yanked off screen until her ATWT stint ended.). Should have been a sign right there.

(edited)

I do love that it bit ABC/JFP, however, since at the time JB/Melissa debuted, P&G/ATWT did an "I don't think so!" because JB was still airing on that soap as her AW character, Vicky, and almost got sued (Melissa had to be yanked off screen until her ATWT stint ended.). Should have been a sign right there.

They brought in a temp actress to replace JB until she was finished with ATWT, too. 

What's funny is that it was actually Wendy Riche who brought back Roy, but of course A Martinez and JFP go back to Santa Barbara, so he was a charter member of the FOJ club. In fact, the middle name of his daughters is actually FARREN, as in...well, you can figure it out. THAT, my friend, is a hardcore FOJ. *retch* 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)

They brought in a temp actress to replace JB until she was finished with ATWT, too.

What's funny is that it was actually Wendy Riche who brought back Roy, but of course A Martinez and JFP go back to Santa Barbara, so he was a charter member of the FOJ club. In fact, the middle name of his daughters is actually FARREN, as in...well, you can figure it out. THAT, my friend, is a hardcore FOJ. *retch*

Off-topic: is it true that when JB was on AW that the network and/or studio paid daily for a chartered helicopter to take her to and from the studio?

On-topic: I fucking hated Roy, and I think all of that hate stems from Guza pairing Felicia with Roy instead of putting her back with Mac. AM is a good actor and Roy never actively did anything wrong, aside from not shooting Sonny for real during Amazing Grace, but ya'lo don't even know how hard I shipped Mac & Flea and it pissed me off that they still weren't back together.

For all of Ron's many many many many faults, at least he rehabbed Felicia after Guza took a butcher's knife to her character, and he reunited her with Mac.

I'm so glad that they only time we ever see them separate or together, they are taking care of Georgie and/or Emma, or comforting Anna. I'm grateful that Ron hasn't destroyed them the way he has the other vets.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

Did Guza pair her with Roy? I thought JFP/McTavish did, before Kristina quit the show.

I think (?) Bobbie Eakes was originally cast as Melissa, which would have made more sense, as there was an idea at one point that one of the reasons Roy had been with her is because of a resemblance to Bobbie (Spencer). 

I never liked Roy either, mostly because I liked Jerry (Julian Stone Jerry, not international terrorist we're supposed to adore because he shoves his tongue down Alexis' throat Jerry), and he was dumped in favor of Roy. And for all the hype, and "hot" love scenes, I never saw any chemistry between A and Jackie. 

Off-topic: is it true that when JB was on AW that the network and/or studio paid daily for a chartered helicopter to take her to and from the studio?

Yes. She quit in 1994 and rather than properly recast, as they'd done twice before, they panicked and pretty much gave her what she wanted. 

• Love 2

While Jensen Buchanan was wonderful as Sarah  Gordon on One Life to Live..She was horrible as Vicky and Marley..I hated her. Anne Heche  was so wonderful as the twins and Jensen was a big disappointment....They should have waited to find a great recast after Anne vacated the role..

• Love 1

I rarely link to this site, but it's probably one of the bigger sites in today's dying soap industry, and those who run it are always happy to get involved with defending Ron and Frank and making sure we know it's anyone else's fault. 

Their "suggestions" for improvement (give Sonny a big story because he's a hot central lead and deserves more, just tone Nina and Franco down and they'll be fine as leads, keep Ron and Frank because they saved GH once and can do it again) are a great example of how difficult it will be to make major changes in the show - the adoration for Ron and Frank and their version of GH and the enabling of them, even as ratings are at an ever-decreasing all time low and Ron has become a bad joke on social media, means that they're even less likely to ever bother to get, or listen to, constructive criticism. 

There's an idea out there that it's more important to care about the people who write or producer a show than caring about the actual show itself. It's one of the things that has killed daytime, and helped kill GH (all the Luza worship that cropped up in the mid-90s and helped give him far more power than his talent ever warranted). And I guess it will take subzero ratings for that to change.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2015/07/03/general-hospital-is-in-ratings-trouble

This Jamey guy writes like he has had the lobotomy. Is he sleeping with Re-Ron. This is a bad joke.MAybe  this is the blog Re-Ron reads. probably writes also.!

This line from that column: 

I am confident, if they put their heads together, face what isn't working and embrace constructive criticism, they can turn this ship around again.

If there's anything Ron has shown us over and over again, it's that he most certainly cannot embrace constructive criticism.  And Frank seems not remotely inclined to force him to do so. 

• Love 14
(edited)

The way I remember the old stories - and this is all very vague - is that there was a version of the Melissa character, a very different character sketch, maybe thought up by either Bob Guza or Michele ValJean or Liz Korte in late 2000, where they were thinking of the character being a psychiatrist, maybe played by Bobbie Eakes, maybe for Stefan. Once JFP got there, though, Melissa became St. Melissa, the show's new heroine, in a supercouple with Roy and cast specifically with Jensen Buchanan, who I've never liked much.

I liked A Martinez on GH. I was very, very angry about how they treated Original Jerry to prop Roy up, but I thought he had such a great, calm energy in the role and great chemistry with Tony Geary and Genie Francis. (Rumor was Guza had wanted Roy paired with Laura, who put him up in PC, but Riche said no.) I didn't mind the idea of him with Felicia, which was mostly a stopgap backburner pairing. But truthfully, so much of his run was a waste after they forced the pairing with Bobbie, and definitely after they forced JFP's 'supercouple' agenda with Buchanan.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
(edited)

You know, I don't remember, either. I think he just disappeared after Nurse Melissa's Angel of Death storyline (that was her, right?).

I hated Roy. I'm another one who liked Original Jerry Jacks and Bobbie - which was a pleasant surprise since Bobbie annoyed me most of the time - and I was pissed when they broke up so she could be shoved on Roy's dick. That's crass, I'm sorry, but I seriously don't remember them doing anything but fuck. Jerry and Bobbie were fun and sexy and unexpectedly sweet.

I actually held that character against A Martinez for a long time. I didn't learn to appreciate him as an actor until Ray Montez.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2

This is basically getting into history, but the other thing I recall is that, allegedly, Bob Guza was never happy with the original casting of Jerry with Julian Stone. His conception of the character had apparently been much darker and harder-edged, more in line with the Sebastian Roche version that came later; I think there may have been a particular actor in mind. In any event, the version Riche had created was a softer character, paired with Jackie Zeman.

I always liked the original Jerry a lot anyway, but I thought the character had room to go darker. The problem was that left to his own devices, Guza's 'darker' was almost always OTT and cartoonish. Roche is a very talented actor but they took his Jerry over the line immediately at the Metro Court, then compounded it with the embarrassing fanboy touch of "Mr. Craig" - 'see, he's just like James Bond! We're big too!' It's that kind of stuff that showed just how desperate Guza, who used to be one of the best in the business, was to get out of daytime.

• Love 4

So Ryan Paevey shattered his wrist in a motorcycle accident. Guess that means we'll be seeing Det. special Kitty in a cast for a while.

Awww, I guess Britt and Nathan will share a familial clumsiness. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh shit - we're going to see that fuckhead Guza swan back in and turn the show back into the "Sonny and Jason Worship Hour" again, aren't we?

I would seriously rather see the show cancelled than him back in charge.

This is the only thing that would actually get me to quit this show before its death.

Edited by TheGourmez
  • Love 5
(edited)

Billy Miller and Kelly Monaco frolicking in the ocean! (Go through the pictures. They're mostly of her alone but he's there.) 

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/S110V9jAYhs/Kelly+Monaco+Shows+Off+Bikini+Body+Malibu/MmL1K8IYNW3

And hilariously enough, people on Twitter are like, "That doesn't look like Billy Miller!" 

(Edited: What the hell is wrong with this site? Why can't I link a picture?)

Edited by Box305

Billy Miller and Kelly Monaco frolicking in the ocean! (Go through the pictures. They're mostly of her alone but he's there.) 

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/S110V9jAYhs/Kelly+Monaco+Shows+Off+Bikini+Body+Malibu/MmL1K8IYNW3

And hilariously enough, people on Twitter are like, "That doesn't look like Billy Miller!" 

(Edited: What the hell is wrong with this site? Why can't I link a picture?)

Glad I have the day off so I can relax and look at stuff like this. If I didn't love her so much, I'd hate her because she looks so freaking damn awesome. And brave, you couldn't pay me enough to ever wear a white bikini.

I might have stared at her underwater leg placement in the pics with Billy a little too hard. Yes, I'm pathetic.

• Love 2

He's the guy she's straddling in the ocean. She looks really happy! Good for them.

And good for me 'cause they've brought the most epic internet reactions with this and I'm cryin'.

• Love 5

Some folks are saying the pics are photoshopped lol. And Jiz stans are flooding the GH hash tag with Jiz pics lmao.

Personally they seemed really sparkly at the Emmys to me. But I know Billy was dating Jessica Collins for a long time, so not sure when that broke off. Regardless, everyone involved is grown and it ain't got shit to do with me, so if they're happy, have at it.

• Love 1