Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Surprised they even leaked she'll be killed off. Announcing an exit is one thing, declaring she'll be killed off in advance is another. 

I would have liked the LH recast. 

• Like 9
1 minute ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I don’t care for Sam but this is a bit surprising. I wonder if GH is cancelled and this is the soft launch

Doubtful 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

Surprised they even leaked she'll be killed off.

I imagine it's too soon to airdate given their taping atm and it would've gotten out. SOD does not mention it, only SON does. (But I had also heard she'll be killed off.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Maybe I’ve missed them if it’s the case but I didn’t think SOD has announced exits ahead of airing in a long time 

Something else feels like it’s going on 

(edited)
7 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Maybe I’ve missed them if it’s the case but I didn’t think SOD has announced exits ahead of airing in a long time 

Because it was going to leak without them.

Allegedly it may have been down to typical FV stuff - fighting over guarantees - but I think Frank has been over KM for a long time. He has a long history of being over an actor and then waiting for them to give him an excuse to make the cut.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

If the story was the role was being recast permanently with Lindsey Hartley I wouldn’t be too surprised but killing her off is truly shocking news. I wonder how and why something like this was leaked. This would have been a MASSIVE surprise storyline if no one was expecting it.

Even though KM has been sleeping through most of the last few years, it’s still pretty sad. I liked her in the beginning, and she and SB did a really good job when Sam was preggo with her first baby that was stillborn.  I’m one of the few who enjoyed her being paired up with Dante and the family dynamic they built. I thought they had chemistry together.

• Like 11
37 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I mean,  KM hasn’t been great in. Many years but to kill Sam? couldn’t she and Dante just break up and she decided to leave town with the kids.? I don’t see any reason to kill her, even if they want to redo Lulu and Dante.

Yeah as a Lante fan I prefer they reunite by him choosing her not by default because Sam gets killed. It was dumb to put Lulu in a coma in 2020 and it's dumb to cut a potential interesting not necessarily triangle but at the very least a complicated break up that isn't made simple and pat for Dante yet again.

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Because it was going to leak without them.

Allegedly it may have been down to typical FV stuff - fighting over guarantees - but I think Frank has been over KM for a long time. He has a long history of being over an actor and then waiting for them to give him an excuse to make the cut.

Yeah I could kind of see that when they kept temp recasting for her these nothing scenes. It always had a hint of telling her how replaceable she is  

12 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Yeah as a Lante fan I prefer they reunite by him choosing her not by default because Sam gets killed. It was dumb to put Lulu in a coma in 2020 and it's dumb to cut a potential interesting not necessarily triangle but at the very least a complicated break up that isn't made simple and pat for Dante yet again.

I just don't see a ton of juice in that triangle. Sam and Dante has always been a C-pairing with characters the show had no idea what to do with, are they really going to drive a triangle for 6-9 months while Dante dithers? That ain't it for me and I'm not even a huge fan of Lulu and Dante lol. I would just be watching the clock waiting for it to end.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Dante is a huge bore, and I don't blame Kemo for that.  She's lit plenty of fires in her day.  Also I loathe Lulu no matter who plays her.   Edit to add that Dom has the talent to make Dante NOT boring, but they don't write for him, let's be honest.  And they haven't written for Sam in years.  

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 3

I think DZ is a good actor but Dante has always been boring to me. Even when he was on every day and got story after story. He’s the nice responsible guy that’s the safe choice 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

His scenes with Alexis sound like they have some potential but Carly being in the middle of his first scenes with Liz made me roll my eyes. Not saying Carly shouldn’t hate him because of course she should but we know she’s going to take over the scene with her screeching and it kinda sounds like RiH hasn’t shot anything else with Becky yet. 

Also, Rick was at CarSon’s last wedding. He was Sonny’s best man. Carly wasn’t flipping out when she saw him then! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Hmmm, I wonder if Lulu gets Sam's liver.

Yup. That scratch on Lucky's hand is going to lead to an infection. They called too much attention to it. 

Monaco's been pretty inert for a while. I'd prefer Hartley stay in the role than a tragic transplant death. But that's more about me wantimg good things for an actress I root for after her herculean work trying to make Reilly's nonsense work on Passions.

I hate the tragic death of a young mother trope. But Sam is superfluous to the Davis girls at this point. And they're not putting her back with Drew or Jason (or Lucky.) But she means enough to enough of the canvas that her death could have impact. I don't trust this creative team to make the most of it of course. But NLG'll probably get some good stuff out of it at least.

• Like 7

Sam was my fav for years. But they haven't done anything with her in a while. She is barely on screen now. Only silver lining is that Sam wont have to end up with Jason. Sadly I would rather her die than go back to that deadbeat. 

I bet Danny and Scout go to the Q mansion never to be seen from again. Unless its to prop their loser dads. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I think DZ is a good actor but Dante has always been boring to me. Even when he was on every day and got story after story. He’s the nice responsible guy that’s the safe choice 

Who protects his mob dad at every turn which cancels out the niceness and is personally, a big turn off to me. It annoys me because the actor can 100% do smouldering and complex if only they gave him a chance, as PM started doing just before he exited.

I saw the casting news and then got spoiled for the exit. I wasn’t expecting to see details, as they usually try to not give too much out, and now this will hang until “sometime in the fall”. My fault.

Don’t know if I would’ve checked out the show not knowing, but I’ll probably  skip the storyline now. Had enough of personal deaths this year.

Her death could trigger many good stories, I just don’t trust the current writing team to do them justice or maybe I’m just not in a good place to receive them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Hopefully her death will be one of those vague ones where the character goes off a cliff or missing in a place crash or whatever instead of dying on-screen so that when they do bring the character back, we won't roll our eyes at the plots mechanics used to bring that character back.

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, backhometome said:

Sam was my fav for years. But they haven't done anything with her in a while. She is barely on screen now. Only silver lining is that Sam wont have to end up with Jason. Sadly I would rather her die than go back to that deadbeat. 

I bet Danny and Scout go to the Q mansion never to be seen from again. Unless its to prop their loser dads. 

That reminds me, if they kill Sam off which I don't think they necessarily will yet, please don't give through Danny kid a huge emmy bait scene, I feel like it will be pretty awkward. Or CamMat either please. 😆

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Well, I know Kemo isn't popular here, but she is elsewhere.  She has a fanbase.  With the ratings in the dumpster maybe they can afford to lose more viewers, I am not a genius like them.  But if you celebrate or shrug over a 20 year veteran being fired and humiliated, just remember, it's not over.  Don't get too comfy with your fav.  Or maybe you want more Carly, Sonny, and Natalia.  I guess that will be great.  

For me the only thing the show has going for it right now is Laura's family being built back up, which Genie deserves.   But this leaves a very bad taste, and I find that now, I don't really care about that even. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, ulkis said:

That reminds me, if they kill Sam off which I don't think they necessarily will yet, please don't give through Danny kid a huge emmy bait scene, I feel like it will be pretty awkward. 

I kinda like that kid even if he's pretty green, but we're about to test the upper limit of his capabilities lol.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Her death could trigger many good stories, I just don’t trust the current writing team to do them justice or maybe I’m just not in a good place to receive them.

I think they could do a lot with this story but I’m not sure if they’ll try since the ones who would be most impacted aren’t characters that they currently write much for. 

• Like 2

Since the actress is reportedly blindsided, I suspect she will phone in all her performances now.

Also, by killing her off, she leaves two kids behind.  Since neither Jason or Drew are cut out to be parents, who is going to raise them?  Laura?  Or will they go to the Tracey Quartermaine House of unwanted/orphaned children?

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

I do agree that Kelly has a lot of fans but I’d be shocked if there were a lot of people still tuning into the show to watch just for her. The actual show, not clips of her that people post online or people who discuss the show on Twitter but clearly aren’t watching. She hasn’t had a storyline for years so what would they be tuning in for? I’m sure she’ll have fans who speak out about her firing and launch a campaign but I don’t know if her exit will impact the ratings at all

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

But NLG'll probably get some good stuff out of it at least.

Only because she's a pro. I don't think the story will be any great shakes. This is still GH.

25 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Since the actress is reportedly blindsided, I suspect she will phone in all her performances now.

KeMo hasn't put in much effort for years; how much more inert can she be at this point?

• Like 9
23 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I do agree that Kelly has a lot of fans but I’d be shocked if there were a lot of people still tuning into the show to watch just for her. The actual show, not clips of her that people post online or people who discuss the show on Twitter but clearly aren’t watching. She hasn’t had a storyline for years so what would they be tuning in for? I’m sure she’ll have fans who speak out about her firing and launch a campaign but I don’t know if her exit will impact the ratings at all

Well, that's true.  There are so few viewers left it's very difficult to predict.  I don't know if it will be measurable.  And will probably be countered by how ever few come back to see Lucky...at least at first.  Cumulatively we don't know, since we don't know who else will be gone.  I  mean, even Roger had fans and some of them never returned after he got fired.  This all becomes a cumulative effect, IMHO. 

1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

Only because she's a pro. I don't think the story will be any great shakes. This is still GH.

KeMo hasn't put in much effort for years; how much more inert can she be at this point?

She hasn't been the same since whatever went on behind the scenes with Billy Miller since SBU's LAST return.  I know.  But this is still a character with a lot of fans, and now they are killing her.  Not writing off, but killing her.  I don't think it's a good idea, but we'll see. 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, ciarra said:

Alexis really needs more angst in her life.

Molly and Kristina are too self-absorbed to notice Sam's absence.

I wonder if Kristina takes things into her own hands re Ava and/or Cates and Sam is collateral damage, earning Kristina a visit to the psych hospital. 

3 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I wonder if Kristina takes things into her own hands re Ava and/or Cates and Sam is collateral damage, earning Kristina a visit to the psych hospital. 

I can’t see the show going quite that dark. If anything, Sam will die in some freak accident and it’ll be the catalyst for Kristina and Molly to make up without working through their issues since they just lost a sister. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Kelly was phoning it in for extended periods long before Billy Miller joined this show.

I never thought so.  You're happy that Kemo was fired.  That's fine.  I'm not.  That's fine too.  Enjoy this month because who knows what the next brings, eh?

• Like 6
  • Applause 5

Sam dying when there's all the drama about Lulu's condition reminds me of that old Thirtysomething storyline when everyone was waiting to see if Nancy was in remission from her cancer and she ended up being ok and Gary died in a car accident.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I wonder if she leaked it, since the outcry and spin is all in her favor. 

I’m almost positive she did because she’s still taping and Sam being killed off is a huge spoiler that I can’t see the show releasing that far ahead of time. Like I said yesterday, they never talk about cast exits anymore, even when we hear about it from other sources. 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Now? She will phone in her performances ... now?

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I’m almost positive she did because she’s still taping and Sam being killed off is a huge spoiler that I can’t see the show releasing that far ahead of time. Like I said yesterday, they never talk about cast exits anymore, even when we hear about it from other sources. 

True; cast exits have been announced/confirmed on or just before a character's last air date - for example Howarth, Pohl, Chavez, Easton.  I think the very beginning of Monaco exit started with yesterday's episode, when Sam said she would get tested and assured Dante she would be loving/supporting him as he does his best to take care of Rocco during this Lulu health crisis. That's almost always a sign that the relationship won't last much longer. 

When Jason was hiding in the Q boathouse after he got shot and Danny found him (in the spring), it was mentioned that Danny has his own room in the Q mansion and that when Danny was little, he always wanted to go to Grandma Monica's house. I assume Scout has a room too since Lois had Violet borrow a pair of Scout's pjs. It sounds like the kids live at Grandma Monica's at least 50% of their lives anyway, so logistically her death won't have a huge impact on them. Scout's dad lives there, too.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 1

I'm shocked that Kelly Monaco is out and that they're killing off Sam. Was there a drinking/substance issue with her years ago?

I have this vague impression of it, every time someone mentions her sleeping through her role or phoning it in, but I've been on the barge so long, I don't even remember why I have that impression.

I wish soaps would "kill" fewer characters when actors depart or are written out. It just makes for dumb returns later. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Pretty sure that KeMo's exit has to do with budget. You need to pay JJ and Carlo Rota. I'm sure he doesn't come cheap. They're not gonna get rid of Mo even though his character has been circling the drain. And the show rises and sets around Carly. 

• Like 14

Ugh, god I just really hope we don’t get another Alexis falling off the wagon yet again story….although I have to admit this would be a prime time for it seeing as her grandchild died, one of her daughters won’t speak to her and now another is about to kick the bucket.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Also, by killing her off, she leaves two kids behind.  Since neither Jason or Drew are cut out to be parents, who is going to raise them?  Laura?  Or will they go to the Tracey Quartermaine House of unwanted/orphaned children?

I think giving Jason Danny would be super interesting. He'd have to parent. Could be a way to get him away from the mob stuff.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, threebluestars said:

I think giving Jason Danny would be super interesting. He'd have to parent. Could be a way to get him away from the mob stuff.

Jason's parenting: It's his choice.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
5 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

This is exactly how Jason is going to end up working for the WSB and leaving Sonny.  His soulmate.  LOL  I betcha!

From TV Insider:

In August 2020, Sam was briefly recast with Lindsay Hartley who temporarily played the role. Hartley later reappeared as the character several episodes in January 2024 as well as earlier this month.

I'm pretty sure I heard of the temporary January recast at the time and just figured it was Covid or flu or something. I completely missed the news about the temporary recast earlier this month. Was any reason ever given for it? 

4 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Sam dying when there's all the drama about Lulu's condition reminds me of that old Thirtysomething storyline when everyone was waiting to see if Nancy was in remission from her cancer and she ended up being ok and Gary died in a car accident.

I was just talking about Gary in Thirtysomething to someone on FB the other day. I was a kid when it was on. My Mom and Nana would watch it and I'd usually be in the living room watching too. Two of the things I've always remembered was Gary dying and Nancy being sick.

I still can't see Billy Miller's name without almost wanting to cry. I remember how he and KeMo always seemed so happy when they were seen together. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mostlylurking said:

Ugh, god I just really hope we don’t get another Alexis falling off the wagon yet again story….although I have to admit this would be a prime time for it seeing as her grandchild died, one of her daughters won’t speak to her and now another is about to kick the bucket.

That is my fear as well. I find addiction stories boring and, after all these years of watching soaps, way over-done. Now would be a good time for Alexis to have Gregory in her life, but ugh. Still regretting that budget cut, if that's what it was.

Am I the only one who's never heard of Carlo Rota?  Off to imdb....

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
16 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Me 🙋‍♀️ I might recognize his face when I see it but the name’s not familiar to me. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, CeChase said:

I never thought so.  You're happy that Kemo was fired.  That's fine.  I'm not.  That's fine too.  Enjoy this month because who knows what the next brings, eh?

I'm not happy, I just don't particularly care. I think Kelly has been phoning it in for the better part of her run and I think Sam as a character has been played out since (if I'm being generous) the mid-2010s, though I would've cut her before then. She's certainly had good and bad times even since, I've said so before, but ultimately I think there's very little left to do with her and I've made no secret of that opinion for years.

Do not assume you know the scope or depth of the list of actors it would take to get me to be either furious or shocked with this show were they to be cut at this point (including ones I really like but fully expect them to dump). The list is vanishingly small these days as I think the show needs a massive purge, and most of the few actors I could name have already been cut or pushed out at least once before so that does not faze me. And it wouldn't change my opinion about Sam.

2 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I think giving Jason Danny would be super interesting. He'd have to parent. 

Jason shouldn't raise a 30 year old Tamagotchi. The obvious angle (and a great story) would be him and Alexis battling it out for custody.

41 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

I remember him from 24 years ago where a little of his character (Mary Lynn Rajskub's husband) went a long way for me. Were Guza still here I'm sure he'd nut over that - he was obsessed with primetime/film action shows and stars and named Kristina's abusive boyfriend after Kiefer Sutherland's actor and character, Jack Bauer.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2

While I've never been a Sam fan, I am offended that women get kicked to the curb on this show.  The male dead weight, phoning it in actors, never get fired on this show.

• Like 2
  • Applause 11
(edited)
17 minutes ago, ciarra said:

While I've never been a Sam fan, I am offended that women get kicked to the curb on this show.  The male dead weight, phoning it in actors, never get fired on this show.

Howarth and Easton just got fired. Both unpopular dead weight for a decade.

I happen to think women on the show take too much of the heat on many levels, both from fans and in terms of the budget. I'd be happy to see both Steve and Mo go, as I never wanted Jason back. But it's not an either/or for me at this point. There's maybe close to a dozen played-out or pointless characters on this show who need to go IMO but won't because of institutional inertia that has led to the endless bloated cast we have. Sam wouldn't have been the top of my list, but she was definitely on it.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
29 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Howarth and Easton just got fired. Both unpopular dead weight for a decade.

Of the OLTL dead weight, Stafford got kicked to the curb first, because they didn't want to pay her more.  

Stafford was never on OLTL (thank goodness!) and IIRC supposedly left because she didn’t like the Dawn of Day cult storyline because of her own real life cult religious affiliations.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4