Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

He did it again y'all! Someone posted a pic on Twitter of the Morgan & Ava yuck fest that showed Brydog may have been a lil bit too into that love scene. Could've been a bad lighting choice or a wardrobe malfunction but it sure appears our wondrously dense, dog loving dipshit has a bona fide boner!

Is it Christmas? Which one of you wished that up?

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally, a new avatar for ulkis!

I'm 50/50 on that one. It could be a fold, or it could be Brydog riding high

I can't handle that.

I'm thinking Kelly T doesn't mind as much with Maura West as it does as much as when he makes out with 12-years-younger-than-her Haley Erin. Not to mention the fact that Maura has a husband so in love with her that he said the acting on this show was as good as on HBO and we get it for free!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm thinking Kelly T doesn't mind as much with Maura West as it does as much as when he makes out with 12-years-younger-than-her Haley Erin. Not to mention the fact that Maura has a husband so in love with her that he said the acting on this show was as good as on HBO and we get it for free!

Yeah, good thinking, Kelly! All the other young women on the show are one thing, but there's no way you're as old as Maura West! Pick your embarrassing Twitter tantrums!

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Yeah, good thinking, Kelly! All the other young women on the show are one thing, but there's no way you're as old as Maura West! Pick your embarrassing Twitter tantrums!

Hee. Hey, I didn't say it was rational, but I could totally picture her thinking that way.

Aside from all of that, this is also an issue with viewing habits more generally. Network TV hasn't revamped its SOPs for fifty years. But viewing habits have changed, especially for those under 30. Very few people I know have TVs; and if they do, they use them to watch Hulu and Netflix. 

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't think people are really completely ditching tvs, even if they don't have cable. In fact I feel like most people I know keep getting bigger and bigger flatscreens, but it could just be me being like "why does everyone have a bigger tv than me!"

• Love 3
(edited)

Sickles is probably late 30s-early 40s. The thing is, I really liked his writing on OLTL. He wrote almost all of the episodes featuring little Sam, and it was terrific. I don't know what happened when he joined GH, but I wish he'd channel his inner OLTL writing....

I think part of the problem is that he is? He's not familiar with the characters so he falls back on quippy, generic one-offs that have very little to do with the actual character that he's writing the lines for. We've talked a lot about how Patrick has been eviscerated but until the recent scenes with Jakeson and Nikolas most of Sam's lines with Patrick could have come from any woman. There was nothing recognizable or character-specific in their interactions; they might as well have been beautiful paper dolls. 

The new IIC have kind of refused to admit that GH is a completely different show with a completely different identity. RC kept blathering on about writing soap archetypes and I think we're seeing that instead of writing that takes into account the decades of history most of these characters already have 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 7

"I did not like the conceit that brought us all together. It was ill-conceived, cheesy and showed a lack of imagination."

Okay, I kind of have to really like him for this.

This quote had me howling. I loved it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm torn.  Because it's not like Geary's wrong, but I suspect he would be critical of any writing that doesn't let him play Luke the way he wants, as a drunken, scornful asshole.  You don't see him blasting the writing for Fluke, do ya?

And I'd imagine all the talk of "the Darkness" in the Luke and Lucky scenes came from Tony Geary's rewrites.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 9

And fuck this:

Jane remains the most underused genius in daytime television, and that’s such a mystery to me. I think they’re being foolish not to let her lead GH, make her the head of the mafia or something.

So Tracy could only be the leading character if she was running the mob?  GAH FUCKING GAH!

• Love 3

And fuck this:

So Tracy could only be the leading character if she was running the mob?  GAH FUCKING GAH!

I'm not even a Tracy fan, and this was so insulting. 

Okay, who wants to take bets on how long it will take Ron to melt down?

• Love 1
(edited)

While I like him throwing shade on RC writing, I have to disagree about Jake's initial death being one of the two best stories. His return story has been crap, but Luke killing Jake had to be one of the worst executed stories in the Guza's years, and that is saying a lot. It was a poor retread of BJ's heart, focused almost completely on the man pain of Luke, Lucky and fucking Jason, and made Liz look like a crap mother and an idiot seeing as Jake ran into the street because the door was unlocked and it took her hours to read test results.  This is part of the problem with someone like Tony Geary, all they care about is what happens to their characters, even if it is at the expense of other characters whose actors have considerable less power and usually women.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 10

And fuck this:

Clearly he knows how this show works.  If you're not in Sonny's world, you're not going to be a leading character for more than a few weeks. 

• Love 4

I think the writing absolutely sucks and that Ron C. is a pissy little hack who should be fired, but I have no respect for Tony Geary.  He threw his power around while he was employed, demanding awful stories and bragging about it, and has a better life than most of the people on the planet will ever have, and he's crowing about being free?  FUCK OFF, JERK. 

He's no better than Ron C., throwing passive aggressive bombs now that he has nothing to lose.  Not that I'm watching anymore, but I'm very glad this epic douche is finally off the show.  Hopefully Ron will be soon be gone, too, so I can start watching again.

• Love 11

He's no better than Ron C., throwing passive aggressive bombs

There was nothing passive aggressive about that interview, lol. That was as straight up as you can get.

I really have no comments on TG, I've been wanting Luke gone for years, I mostly want Ron and Frank gone, as they have continued to shit on the characters and the history of this show at every turn. This latest Jake nonsense just seals the deal.

• Love 4

I loved TG calling Ron "the writer".

I was hoping he would do that. Oh man, Ron must be fuming right about now.

At least he's self-aware:

Oh, poor me! People remember Luke and Laura. Boo hoo. I feel like an absolute t--t complaining about it. But there you have it. I have almost, but not quite, come to grips with the fact that my obituary is going to read: “Anthony Geary, Luke of Luke-and-Laura, died today.”

Sure, here and there, but I always won because I’m a mean bastard and I’d just say, “F--- it! Fire me!” Some have tried to get that clause out of there, like [former executive producer] Wendy Riche, who never much cared for me. One time she said, “I’ve got a collection of balls in my office, and yours are going up on the wall.” I said, “Well, Wendy, if you want my balls, you’re gonna need a bigger office!”

Uh, okay. Tony.

Under Gloria, the show went from little scenes of nurses gossiping over coffee in the hospital cafeteria to something big and adventurous and dangerous. And the show was saved from cancellation.

Hmph, nothing wrong with nurses talking over coffee. There's room for both.

Being in a part of the industry where an actor’s resume is less important than how he looks with his shirt off or how many Facebook followers he has.

ouch.

I do think indulging in this back and forth with the unhappy fans on Twitter just feeds the flames. We used to have qualified publicity people who would respond to that sort of thing. Now you have actors and producers and writers going directly to the audience to defend themselves which is, if nothing else, without dignity.

double ouch!

I hope TG gets to enjoy retirement for quite a while yet.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was just coming here to bring that

Rebecca Budig:

I LOVE this. Amazing. And true!!

She didn't include Ron in the tweet so maybe he won't know.

ahaha, who am I kidding.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

I have never seen anyone bite the hand that fed him to the extent TG does.

I'll pencil in time next week to cry for him and the amount of money he's bilked out of the pairing he hates so much. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Apparently Rebecca Budig praised the interview on her Twitter.  Girl, that's not gonna bode well for Rebecca Budig the character.

My brand new favorite character Greenlee Hayden better not suffer because of this. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 3

I hated the parts that seemed to derive from his own ego, but actually agree about how looks sometimes take precedent of someone's talent and how actors and show runners by and large can't do social media all that well. And he is right, the soap industry does need fresh blood and new ideas to turn it around, and I really got to give Wendy Riche some credit, I don't think she was entirely wrong to want to remove the rewrite clause in Tony Geary's contract. 

• Love 4

The fact that RC doesn't communicate with the cast explains a lot, like character motivations and why the stories are so bad. TG with Ethan and Lucky only worked in those scenes because TG rewrote it, I only wish he was allowed to rewrite everything including the Frank Smith/Jake resurrections. 

The first thing Pratt did when going to YR was sit the cast down and talk to them, having meetings as groups and individuals about their stories and where they were going. 

• Love 1

I'm dying at TG calling RC "the writer" he cares that little to not even say his name. 

He might honestly not know it. Which chaffs my hide a little. He complains about the disrespect to actors but then, I bet you a lot of the actors on the show have no idea what the names of the breakdown writers, the scriptwriters are. Respect goes both ways.

It's not too surprising.  In every interview she's given about playing Rebecca Budig the character, she seems mystified about what her motivations are.

Sex and money are her motivations. I understand why Greenlee Hayden does what she does a lot more than I understand why half of these characters do what they do.

• Love 1

The fact that RC doesn't communicate with the cast explains a lot, like character motivations and why the stories are so bad. TG with Ethan and Lucky only worked in those scenes because TG rewrote it, I only wish he was allowed to rewrite everything including the Frank Smith/Jake resurrections. 

The first thing Pratt did when going to YR was sit the cast down and talk to them, having meetings as groups and individuals about their stories and where they were going. 

Ron has talked to them, most of them. I know when he first came on, I believe Julie Berman said something about him having a chat with each actor about their characters. Tony probably wasn't around that day.

Pfft.  The first thing Pratt apparently did when he went to AMC, according to Susan Lucci, was to announce that he didn't care about character-driven stories, just plot.  And he made actors cry by dismissing their characters' histories and motivations.

Ron has talked to them, most of them. I know when he first came on, I believe Julie Berman said something about him having a chat with each actor about their characters. Tony probably wasn't around that day.

Also, Tony Geary is convinced his interpretation of Luke is the only one.  He wouldn't have listened to Ron even if they had spoken.

• Love 8