Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

On a totally different note Joseph C. Phillips just wrote a blog stating that Bill Cosby is guilty, Well that settles it for me, if the REAL Justus Ward says your guilty you're going down

• Love 5

Now I grant that my experience is far from universal or even mainstream.  I'm not even in the plurality of viewers, I think, being an AnnaFanFirst.  But many, if not most, viewers I would wager have a favorite character or couple.  And that character or couple (or they have 2 or 3) is what keeps them invested in the show.  And their experience is probably not much different than mine, in that Ron's canvas is overcrowded and he can't maintain storylines for all the principal characters.  That should have been the first thing he did -- settle on your 10 to 20, tops, principal characters, add in support for them -- and cut the rest.  Instead, he tried to keep them all, and look how alienated just about each and every fan feels.

But what if your favorite character or couple isn't deemed important enough?  Because a lot of what I'm interested in these days is on the fringes - Lucas and Brad, Lucy, etc.

I like a bigger canvas, I like the community feeling a soap can have when characters can be weaved in and out properly.  Ron was able to land on the right balance a few times during his OLTL stint and I loved it, especially compared to the razor-sharp focus on three characters (Sonny, Carly, Jason) happening on this show at the time.

The problem right now...let's use Felicia and Mac as an example.  Do they need front burner story?  Not at all.  But they're also missing from the stories they should be in, like Maxie's custody problems last fall.  But when they're need to push the Legion of Doom along, there they are.

It's an execution problem, IMO.

• Love 7
(edited)

https://despairintheafternoon.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/so-this-show-is-basically-just-fanfic-now-right/#comment-10788

Elizabeth keeps thinking she’ll wake up and find out it was all a dream. Girl, I keep thinking I’m going to wake up and realize this whole plot is just a desperate Liason fanfic.

And the blogger is actually a huge Liason fan

But what if your favorite character or couple isn't deemed important enough?  Because a lot of what I'm interested in these days is on the fringes - Lucas and Brad, Lucy, etc.

To be honest, the show would lose some viewers by cutting characters, but imo they would probably gain a lot more viewers by cutting and focusing properly on the characters they do have.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

To be honest, the show would lose some viewers by cutting characters, but imo they would probably gain a lot more viewers by cutting and focusing properly on the characters they do have.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are definitely characters this show can shed - Franco, Nina, Silas, and Kiki could be lifted right out, for starters.  But I remain weary of returning to this show's former model, the Sonny/Carly/Jason Show with the other character groups getting scraps.

• Love 4
(edited)

I like a bigger canvas, I like the community feeling a soap can have when characters can be weaved in and out properly.  Ron was able to land on the right balance a few times during his OLTL stint and I loved it, especially compared to the razor-sharp focus on three characters (Sonny, Carly, Jason) happening on this show at the time.

The problem right now...let's use Felicia and Mac as an example.  Do they need front burner story?  Not at all.  But they're also missing from the stories they should be in, like Maxie's custody problems last fall.  But when they're need to push the Legion of Doom along, there they are.

It's an execution problem, IMO.

I think we're talking the same thing in terms of what we want to see overall.  There would be winners and losers in culling the cast down to 30/35 (and very occasional appearances by additional related characters).  I'm not saying that naturally my favorite would be spared. She might not, should grown ups who understand how to produce a show re-take charge of it.  But the culling and creation of a true ensemble is necessary.  My point before was that you wind up pleasing nobody by trying to please everybody by not cutting anyone.

I agree entirely that you need your core principal characters, and you need a supporting cast around them.  That's the way that you don't have grievous errors, like people wondering, "Hey, does Lucky know that his aunt died? How come Felicia didn't visit Maxie in the hospital?" Important beats are constantly being missed because the fundamental network of principal and supporting characters isn't in place. 

Interestingly, right now there are only 7 storylines in play. That is, if – on the one hand -- everything about the Denise/Sonny/Carly/Moran/Kiki situation is considered a single storyline, and – on the other hand – Lucas and Brad’s upcoming wedding and perhaps introduction of elements from Brad’s family is considered one at all.   I remember a time when there were about 17 storylines in play at a given time.  The problem is though, that, of these 7 storylines, 2 are outright dreadful (the Nina/Ric/Madeline scam and the entire Denise saga), and 3 are a mess (Jakeson, Luke's farewell tour, and the Lante/Val/Dillon quad, which has gotten off to a rocky start).  The Cassadine takeover of ELQ  has a fundamental issue with Nik's seeming lack of acceptable motivation. Then finally, again, there's Brad/Lucas filler storyline.  It seems that, finally, the kiddie quad has been quashed.  The 2-time-a-month bed-hopping storyline of the random vets is over with. Milo and Epiphany is over, over, over. God, I hope, anyway.

But  there are eight -- 8! -- contract actors sitting on the bench without a storyline right now.  Two by necessity (Lisa and Finola), but 6 for no reason at all (Nancy, William, Maxie, Nathan, Silas, and TJ).  I guess TJ's living situation is supposed to lead to a storyline, but that's all it is right now -- a situation. 

If it weren't for the wrong characters getting all the point of view and story right now, the show is better poised than it has been in awhile.  Stop 3 of the stories (the Luke story is wrapping up on the 27th anyway), pull the Carly/Sonny stuff out of the Denise storyline, and overhaul the other four, and the show is not in that bad of a place.

Hey, if I could pick and choose, I'd definitely have Lucas on contract and I'd even give Brad a pass for the different character he was in his introduction.  I think they're good assets to the show. I think the ones who need to be cut are obvious (the entire Westbourne/Clay family), but YMMV.  In fact, if I had my druthers, I'd wrap up the Nina storyline, send them all packing, have someone pull out Ava's weave, and send her to jail and finish that mess up, someone dropkick Franco into the harbor, and put the actors who play Lucas and Brad on contract. That'd be the starting point, anyway.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 9

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are definitely characters this show can shed - Franco, Nina, Silas, and Kiki could be lifted right out, for starters.  But I remain weary of returning to this show's former model, the Sonny/Carly/Jason Show with the other character groups getting scraps.

IA a big problem with this show is unlike Y&R who always kept there vets around GH found them useless and either killed them off or backburned them and they never tried anyone else as leads but sonny and Jason and luke.With luke leaving we have sonny and Jason.

I think it's just Sonny at this point, Jason's new and a recast I don't think he is a vet. They throw in Scott, Tracy here and there but it's nothing like how YR actually uses their vets on a daily basis. Victor and Jack are the top of the show and drive the lead stories, where on GH people like Monica and Tracy are never there and thrown in to prop something else.

• Love 1
Hey, if I could pick and choose, I'd definitely have Lucas on contract and I'd even give Brad a pass for the different character he was in his introduction.  I think they're good assets to the show. I think the ones who need to be cut are obvious (the entire Westbourne/Clay family), but YMMV.  In fact, if I had my druthers, I'd wrap up the Nina storyline, send them all packing, have someone pull out Ava's weave, and send her to jail and finish that mess up, someone dropkick Franco into the harbor, and put the actors who play Lucas and Brad on contract. That'd be the starting point, anyway.

I love RoHo but killing off Franco is the only thing that might tempt me to start watching GH again.  (Especially since Geary will finally be gone.)  I came back before when I saw that glorious gif of Jason getting kicked into the harbor.  If only TPTB were listening... sigh.

• Love 2

I love RoHo but killing off Franco is the only thing that might tempt me to start watching GH again.  (Especially since Geary will finally be gone.)  I came back before when I saw that glorious gif of Jason getting kicked into the harbor.  If only TPTB were listening... sigh.

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I watch that clip and it instantly puts me in a great mood.

And I will treasure that time from late Oct 2012 to mid Feb 2014 that Jasus was dead at the bottom of the icy harbor.

• Love 8
(edited)

I loved Roger Howarth on OLTL. But everything about his presence on GH today, about Nina's, about Denise is like walking, talking, breathing Chernobyl. When they appear I often no longer look directly at the screen, it's like staring into the heart of the sun. It's gotten so bad that it would literally take a year or more for me to even consider, let's say, his making a brief guest appearance as Todd Manning if that were even possible. If there's supposed to be any restoring any kind of trust with the longtime audience, you can't even consider a third character for Howarth. It's simply not viable, it never was but it's especially not now. He just has to go and be gone.

If they wanted to show they were dead-ass serious about making major changes, they'd sign Genie to a longer deal, make a new commitment with Kimberly McCullough tomorrow, and fire Roger Howarth, Michelle Stafford and yeah, Michael Easton too, immediately. That would prove they're at least open to putting the show ahead of their own ego needs, because inconsequential or not the only reason Easton (or Howarth) are still here is because Ron and Frank say so and because that relationship is more important to them than their audience.

And BTW, both these men lived through this as the rank and file under Jill Farren Phelps at OLTL, they know what that kind of Friends of Jill situation looks like and how it turned out. They should know better.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 12

Just end his presence on GH. Stop trying to somehow magic up a way to bring Todd back. It's not going to happen.

It is what it is... to even attempt to bring him back as Todd is ridiculous. That day is done. Finito. Todd's story is finished in Port Charles and need never be resurrected. There is no point.

And there's no point in attempting to salvage anything from Howarth or Easton or any other 'big name' they want just to want it so they can play Fantasy Pair Ups with Names from Other Soaps. Unless there is a specific story to tell that benefits General Hospital and the history therein they shouldn't be bringing on ANYONE who has had a known character somewhere else. They've shot their load on this one. The tank is empty. I mean, Ron can barely be bothered to do anything with Easton but Howarth seems to exist solely so Ron can match 'Todd' up to anyone he can dream up. Write them all off and save some fucking money for a different set color.

• Love 13
(edited)

To my knowledge, Rebecca Budig is not currently on contract. Yet. I frankly half-expect it any day. I hope to God someone at the network steps in and puts a stop to that shit, because the way I see it coming they're always so dazzled by their 'big names' as they try to impress the online sites (and even most of them are losing interest, at this point) that they're either going to fire someone to pay for Budig, or sign her up for a bunch of recurring stints like fucking Donna Mills, where she comes in and wastes precious airtime for weeks or months on end.

Dande and I are never going to agree on this but I do think RH could return someday as Todd to scheme, the way Marco Dane used to do on GH in the '90s; I think Todd works in that mover and shaker role on GH and always did. I think that kind of interconnectivity used to be a cornerstone of the ABC soaps and I think that when it started on GH in 2012 it worked very well. I don't think he can ever return full-time, and I think it would have to be a long, long time from now. The stench of this entire debacle will not leave Howarth's association with GH for many years if ever, and if DAYS goes down in the meantime I would love to see Kassie DePaiva and Blair on his arm. Failing that, he can always taunt Carly with the wedding photos on his phone. But no, Roger Howarth returning to this show is not a going interest of mine. Excising Roger Howarth is my primary focus.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

You can't sway me on this by dangling Blair in front of me, jase. That's dirty pool because I would love to see those two again, teamed up. But not on GH because they do not belong. And besides, as long as Frank and Ron are at the helm, that will never, ever, ever happen.

• Love 5
And there's no point in attempting to salvage anything from Howarth or Easton or any other 'big name' they want just to want it so they can play Fantasy Pair Ups with Names from Other Soaps. Unless there is a specific story to tell that benefits General Hospital and the history therein they shouldn't be bringing on ANYONE who has had a known character somewhere else. They've shot their load on this one. The tank is empty. I mean, Ron can barely be bothered to do anything with Easton but Howarth seems to exist solely so Ron can match 'Todd' up to anyone he can dream up. Write them all off and save some fucking money for a different set color.

I agree.  This really turns off the younger viewers, too.  They don't know any of that crap and don't care.  And the older viewers they woo back with it won't stay because the stories are so atrocious. 

I do think PC could use a new core family. They've decimated all of the older ones.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's dirty pool

I never claimed to play fair! This is the network that had Cesar Faison chase people around Universal Studios on Loving!*

(* - as to Blair, I don't think Frank would give a shit, but Ron sure would)

Edited by jsbt

I never claimed to play fair! This is the network that had Cesar Faison chase people around Universal Studios on Loving!*

(* - as to Blair, I don't think Frank would give a shit, but Ron sure would)

It's also the network that insists on reviving Ryan's Hope by having Delia act like Roxy Balsom. Ryan's Hope has been gone for decades and they don't even have Delia acting like Delia! If you're going to cross-pollinate like that it has to be done well and Ron is, at this point, so far beyond incapable of that it's not even funny.

As for Frank... fuck him. He's the one that told Kassie to turn down a role on B&B so he could pretend he was offering her something when he wasn't. 

The most I'd accept regarding Todd and Blair in Port Charles is so minimal I could probably pop off three scenes of fanfic just to appease myself. Todd isn't enough of a mover and shaker to make that much of a difference. He's a chaotic nimrod on a good day and that's usually brought on by trying to get Blair back or lashing out at her. Port Charles has plenty of destructive idiots already. They don't need to import any. (Plus, it'd be desperately sad to see Todd still in that head space. He's better off evolving and everyone knows you can't do that in PC.)

Bring Paul Hornsby back? That's General Hospital. The Mannings? Not so much.

• Love 3

As for Frank... fuck him. He's the one that told Kassie to turn down a role on B&B so he could pretend he was offering her something when he wasn't. 

See, that kind of casual bullshit is just what I expect from Frank; we know how he operates. It's his dogged loyalty to Easton and Howarth that baffles me at this point. He would've cut anyone else who's this much of a consistent failure loose. I'm still surprised he did it to Kristen.

• Love 5

Because Bryan Craig's instagram is more entertaining than GH

https://instagram.com/p/2wefnTmZsO/?taken-by=bryan_craig

https://instagram.com/p/156OQyGZgK/?taken-by=bryan_craig

https://instagram.com/p/1vxlnDmZs7/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Snow in my face!!!

https://instagram.com/p/zsc_G7mZr8/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Him and his little brother are actually cute together

https://instagram.com/p/xFvaJsGZi-/?taken-by=bryan_craig

The inspiration for the original painting

https://instagram.com/p/w9cEJZGZpJ/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Him and Carlos with cat face paint on

https://instagram.com/p/s4BnBwmZn-/?taken-by=bryan_craig

He's back, bitches!!

https://instagram.com/p/sAyQsJmZk-/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Warning. The next one has Kelly, a lot of tongue, and a mullet:

https://instagram.com/p/mYWwFEmZgq/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Bryan comments on Kelly as she walks:

https://instagram.com/p/gJGT2zGZhX/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Kel & Babe

https://instagram.com/p/d2O3yKGZsS/?taken-by=bryan_craig

His artwork. In case you didn't already guess, he drew a penis.

https://instagram.com/p/QbPh2umZpV/?taken-by=bryan_craig

An picture of IV from a time when he was in the hospital for 2 days apparently got a concussion from "yea smacked the back of my head on concrete". 

https://instagram.com/p/PNDZtoGZst/?taken-by=bryan_craig

The difference between a boy and a man:

https://instagram.com/p/OzdFOhmZk_/?taken-by=bryan_craig

Not Bryan, but his friend, but I put it up because it's a video of his friend holding on to a moving escalator and trying to balance on his arms while putting his legs on the railing. And then, "a minute later he really hurt himself doing this"

https://instagram.com/p/yFT5btGZma/?taken-by=bryan_craig

• Love 5
(edited)

Are you proud of what you've done?

His artwork. In case you didn't already guess, he drew a penis.

#classicbrydog

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 10

See, that kind of casual bullshit is just what I expect from Frank; we know how he operates. It's his dogged loyalty to Easton and Howarth that baffles me at this point. He would've cut anyone else who's this much of a consistent failure loose. I'm still surprised he did it to Kristen.

Yes, I do know how Frank operates which is why I'm fine with him never touching OLTL characters again. Isn't the damage he's currently inflicting on Port Charles with Ron enough?

As for his 'loyalty' -- well, not to make it too gendered but... it's totally a gender thing. For ages now, the men can get away with all sorts of failure and still be touted as the second coming but if the women ever put in a 75% performance while daring to gain five pounds, well, off they go! How much have they had to acquiesce to Geary for this exit story that Geary claims he relinquished all control on? Frank will bend over backwards for those he deems worth it no matter how poorly they're doing.

Truthfully, at this point, Frank would have released them by now if there were still three soaps on ABC. I think that since it's the last one standing and the network isn't ready to pull the trigger, Frank's going to milk Howarth and Easton for everything he can. And they'll collect a paycheck for as long as possible in the meantime.

• Love 4

Are you proud of what you've done?

Almost as proud as Kelly is of her fiance!

To my knowledge, Rebecca Budig is not currently on contract. Yet. I frankly half-expect it any day. I hope to God someone at the network steps in and puts a stop to that shit, because the way I see it coming they're always so dazzled by their 'big names' as they try to impress the online sites (and even most of them are losing interest, at this point)

Speaking of, Michael Logan posted this yesterday:

For the record, #GH is my favorite soap. Always has been and hope it always will be. This is what you call tough love.

And better late than never but I wanted to complain to him that maybe if he said something sooner something could have been done sooner.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yes, I do know how Frank operates which is why I'm fine with him never touching OLTL characters again. Isn't the damage he's currently inflicting on Port Charles with Ron enough?

As for his 'loyalty' -- well, not to make it too gendered but... it's totally a gender thing. For ages now, the men can get away with all sorts of failure and still be touted as the second coming but if the women ever put in a 75% performance while daring to gain five pounds, well, off they go! How much have they had to acquiesce to Geary for this exit story that Geary claims he relinquished all control on? Frank will bend over backwards for those he deems worth it no matter how poorly they're doing.

Truthfully, at this point, Frank would have released them by now if there were still three soaps on ABC. I think that since it's the last one standing and the network isn't ready to pull the trigger, Frank's going to milk Howarth and Easton for everything he can. And they'll collect a paycheck for as long as possible in the meantime.

No, you're right, it is a gender thing and that part of it is very wrong. As for a lot of the rest of FV's long history, do I approve? No, but I understand a fair portion of it. He can be very cold but he often also did what he had to do to keep his show alive. He came up under a succession of not exactly people-pleaser EPs (and a couple nice if ineffectual ones) and sometimes I think he may be colder than most of them. But for what he did for John Ingle - which was wonderful and the polar opposite of what JFP did to Anna Lee, which hastened her death - and some other things he did for both of his shows, I always have to see both sides of what limited view I have of the man. That being said, yes, he always favors men, and yes, he has let his bias and pride over the OLTL transplants, as well as his legendary cheapness, cripple GH and his own killer instinct. It's not what he would have done five years ago. He's fallen down on the job just like RC, and his penny-pinching on Genie fucking Francis is inexcusable.

But with Tony Geary, I think that's the only man FV would really bow to, and he shouldn't have. To be very honest, if he'd pushed it, before Tony's illness, I do think he could have made the LNL reunion they all wanted happen, because Tony would want a little more of a nest egg in the offshore bank for Amsterdam. We know they went to several people at the other show back in the day and told them to cut the shit and made the impossible happen. It could have been done, or Tony would've walked and you could do it anyway, without him.

To me, the real question is: Is Frank mercenary enough to cut them both, or let Ron get cut loose? I think if push comes to shove he could do it all. The question is will he.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I agree.  This really turns off the younger viewers, too.  They don't know any of that crap and don't care.  And the older viewers they woo back with it won't stay because the stories are so atrocious. 

I do think PC could use a new core family. They've decimated all of the older ones.

DeLurking a moment...does "younger" viewers even watch daytime soaps? Or maybe the better question is do enough watch to make a real impact on ratings? Though they don't by any means represent all of America, no one I know who are in their late teens or 20s watches daytime soaps.

(edited)

And better late than never but I wanted to complain to him that maybe if he said something sooner something could have been done sooner.

I'm still a bit resentful, in that I suspect that at least part of Logan's disillusionment is all about Tony Geary whispering in his ear about the horrors of Little Jake's return and the destruction of Guza's "brilliant" dead kid story and Dark Luke, and I am tensely awaiting an exit interview in which Logan eats all of Tony's AARP wisdom about this up unquestioningly.* But I'll take my critique where and how I can.

*(I originally wrote "licks up the pearls Tony Geary spews forth," but no. No.)

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 8

Not even 'licks up the AARP pearls Tony Geary spews forth?' You know, just to make it even more fetishized and uncomfortable?

Now it's just on you. I wash my - no...

• Love 1

DeLurking a moment...does "younger" viewers even watch daytime soaps? Or maybe the better question is do enough watch to make a real impact on ratings? Though they don't by any means represent all of America, no one I know who are in their late teens or 20s watches daytime soaps.

I don't really know what the kids get up to these days, but I suspect there are enough that would watch if the shows hadn't already turned themselves into such jokes.   Younger viewers aren't dumb, they want to watch compelling drama that sucks them in.  It's not rocket science.  

The shows have become outdated --- but not because it's a serial format.   In fact, most shows are somewhat serialized now.   No, the shows are outdated because they rely on stale old crap instead of trying to be interesting.  They don't do anything to try and "refresh" themselves or be relevant anymore.  Ron beating back-from-the-dead, kidnapping, and camp to death -- that's a parody of soaps and it just makes them more uncool.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Generally, the way the kids would get sucked in is if and older relative watched. Everyone I've ever known who watched soaps started because their mother, their grandmother, their aunt or their baby sitter would watch.

When the soaps started trying to appeal to the 'golden demographic' whatever that even means anymore... they stopped acknowledging the family dynamics for what a bunch of television execs decided was 'hip' and 'young' and I don't think it ever actually brought in the younger generations. But it DID alienate the older generations which were the gateway drug for the younger ones in the first place.

If Mom isn't watching when the kids are sick at home from school then they're not going to get interested in the shenanigans. That's really where they went wrong... they did not acknowledge what brought in new viewers, took it for granted and threw it away for a generation who is far more addicted to 'what's new' as opposed to the same old shit they have no fond memories of in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that each generation grows more and more diverse and used to a more diverse community and that is very definitely NOT represented on soaps!

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 6

If we start tacking on 'Dawg' to everyone's name then it's really time to worry.

DandeDawg out!

Oops, I use the word Dawg all the time but it has absolutely nothing to do with current jargon. It's purely all about college football for me. So I'll just say Go Dawgs!

• Love 1

Ah, see my mom HATES these shows.  I only ever learned about GH because my sister watched it, and she only got into it because her friends at school were talking about GH.  But maybe their mothers got them into it, LOL.  

And then I kept watching because I found the stories (and, very importantly, the well-written characters) interesting.  I think you are right about it being a generational thing, but I also think quality still matters -- and the quality is not there at all anymore.

• Love 6

I got sucked in because of the babysitter. School got out at 230, was at her house by 3, and we sat on the couch, ate an afternoon snack and watched The Q's, Mac, Felicia, Robin, Sonny, and the a few months later Luke, Laura, and Lucky showed up and I was hooked.

• Love 2
(edited)

That? Most certainly never happened.

It was a henchman in an early prototype of a Faison mask.

Edited to add.

I'm exactly that kid who was drawn in by my mom watching.  We were East Coasters then, and GH was on after I got home from school.  My mom was so wrapped up in watching that I had to see what was going on.

Within a few years, she lost interest. And I was hooked.

I still blame her.  Why couldn't I have had a mom who drank wine while locked in the bathroom in the afternoons? But noooooo, I had to have one who watched the Alan/Monica/Rick/Lesley quad. 

Edited by Francie
  • Love 3

My mother worked and never watched soaps. I was a latchkey kid and started watching AMC around 1972 because I was home from school and bored with game shows. It was right about the time Philip came back after being presumed KIA in Vietnam. Eventually I got into GH and then OLTL because it fell in between AMC and GH. RH was the first soap I could actually relate to, because it was 'real.' At least in the beginning.

But yeah, there was no mom, grandma, babysitter etc. to get me watching.

Not in huge numbers but I know several younger soap viewers who accidentally got into them during maternity leaves and periods of unemployment.  Once in awhile office lunch breaks.  Stories that make the national news, like WilSon on DAYS lure in new viewers.  But no one will stick around long if the stories are awful.  

• Love 1
(edited)

That sure looks like him. I actually like the kid when he's a bit toned down, but somehow I'm not surprised Spencer's next stop is what appears to be a very tasteless Ryan Murphy show. I don't think he'll be here long if that continues.

Edited by jsbt