Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, ciarra said:

Didn't Vanessa Marcil make him change his name because they were engaged?

I don't know about that. I do remember that the two of them being engaged led to an incongruous scene where Brenda sat and monologued at Nik's bedside after he was shot even though the two characters had barely ever interacted before.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

I don't know about that.

Hearsay from the Data Lounge.

"It was Vanessa who convinced him to change his stage name from Tyler Baker to Tyler Christopher. His full name is Tyler Christopher Baker, but Vanessa thought Vanessa Christopher sounded better than Vanessa Baker. So at Vanessa's urging, he became Tyler Christopher. But of course, their engagement ended shortly after that."

44 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Hearsay from the Data Lounge.

"It was Vanessa who convinced him to change his stage name from Tyler Baker to Tyler Christopher. His full name is Tyler Christopher Baker, but Vanessa thought Vanessa Christopher sounded better than Vanessa Baker. So at Vanessa's urging, he became Tyler Christopher. But of course, their engagement ended shortly after that."

Yet he kept it till his death so I don’t buy that was the only reason. Lots of actors have stage names. 

• Love 3

Tyler did a lot of disaster movies in the last couple of years, so I hope he felt that he was working steadily. I like that Scott Clfiton mentioned that TC also did a number of small theater work. He really seemed to love acting, whenever he was able to get it together to do so.

I don't know if his cardiac event was from past substance abuse or a relapse. I suppose it doesn't really matter, because he was destined to have a life of peaks and valleys. 

• Useful 2
On 11/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

Yet he kept it till his death so I don’t buy that was the only reason. Lots of actors have stage names. 

Too much trouble changing it back. :)  Once you get known using one name, you don't change it.

• Like 2

I stopped watching around the time TC departed the first time. When I would tune in from time to time and see other actors in the role, it just felt wrong. TC in his returns was so visibly off that it was painful to behold. I couldn’t. 

The entertainment business is a cruel mistress, even for sober and stable people. 

NLG, RH, and others like LW who stick with the soaps, build a loyal following, enjoy the steady work and pay, and have other outlets to cope with the monotony and backstage bs that do not run afoul of management, seem to fare the best… It’s a brutal business so when inevitably they pull a Stuart Damon on them, there should be ample funds. 

I grew up with an alcoholic who died of cirrhosis. I hope TC’s children get counseling and that his former co-stars and the studio make a healthy donation to their college funds.

I went back and watched stuff on YouTube I had not seen since 1996 when I heard. Peace to TC, best to his kids, and if it was up to tuned out me, stop with the recasts, toss some of the nonsense they pulled (they do it all the time), and let his “mother” mourn her “son”.

Goodbye, sweet prince. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

"Michael, we should merge ELQ with Aurora! Instead of Aurora operating under the corporate umbrella of ELQ, ELQ will operate under the corporate umbrella of Aurora."

And that's how Ned gets his memory back.

Edited by Mirabelle
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

"Michael, we should merge ELQ with Aurora! Instead of Aurora operating under the corporate umbrella of ELQ, ELQ will operate under the corporate umbrella of Aurora."

I really hate Drew. Even more so than Michael and Carly, if that's possible.

Evan Ellingson, a former child and young adult actor whose resume apparently included an appearance on GH, died at a sober living home. TVLine

This may be for naught in the age of TMZ, but I hope any relapse involved here, or in Matthew Perry or Tyler Christopher’s cases, is withheld. The realities and fickle nature of the entertainment business and how it shatters some people are well in evidence already with these men. We don’t need it and nor do the children around these losses. 

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1

He was only one of many who tried to fill TC’s shoes and I recall my visceral distaste immediately upon seeing him in the part, but Coltin Scott/Stephen Martines slithered onto his X account and commented on Christopher’s passing. 

It was this reply from him I wanted to share… IMG_2070.thumb.jpeg.cd81c74c713891fc021aac361d74c76d.jpeg
From just some of what I have read occurred in my time away, it’s the truth, even if the messenger makes my skin crawl. 

Regardless, I will hope the show gives a proper farewell to Jacklyn Zeman and yes, Christopher too, at the first opportunity. Using Christopher’s image could benefit his children financially and provide for them as he wanted to… His ex-wife’s family has money, I believe, but he was their dad and it’s clear this show needs to class things up more than a bit. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Isn't Stephen Martinis the one who got into legal trouble, and IIRC, didn't exactly make friends with his co-workers?

Yes and yes. In Martines post about TC’s death, he claimed to be cordial with Christopher, who is also not here to confirm or deny. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Isn't Stephen Martinis the one who got into legal trouble, and IIRC, didn't exactly make friends with his co-workers?

Ok I just went down a little rabbit hole googling Stephen Martines/Coltin Scott and I had no idea what a sociopath he was!  See, this is why I don’t do social media and get involved with following actors and their personal lives. This goes for regular people too.  I usually end up liking them a lot less.  I don’t want to know 🙈

• Like 4
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

He was only one of many who tried to fill TC’s shoes and I recall my visceral distaste immediately upon seeing him in the part, but Coltin Scott/Stephen Martines slithered onto his X account and commented on Christopher’s passing. 

It was this reply from him I wanted to share… IMG_2070.thumb.jpeg.cd81c74c713891fc021aac361d74c76d.jpeg
From just some of what I have read occurred in my time away, it’s the truth, even if the messenger makes my skin crawl. 

While that may be true, I wonder if he thinks Jill Farren Phelps and Megan McTavish were doing a fantastic job with GH when he was there. He might, but that would be the only reason: because he was there. Those two were the regime that seemed fondest of him and featured him the most. Most long-time fans consider that one of the worst-written periods of the show's history.  

He got broomed out when Guza and Pratt took over the writing and they were able to get Tyler Christopher back. Normally, I have sympathy for recast actors who get tossed aside when the original or most popular actor is willing to come back, even if I wasn't wild about them (Greg Vaughan, Billy Miller—although in Miller's case they did create the Drew character for him, which presently seems a mixed blessing), but I shared your distaste for Coltin Scott/Stephen Martines from his first day, and he never grew on me even a little. And that was before the revelations about his character and activities.  

11 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

In Martines post about TC’s death, he claimed to be cordial with Christopher, who is also not here to confirm or deny. 

Back in the day, Martines was politically astute enough to say nice things about Tyler Christopher in interviews (in the vein of "I know I have big shoes to fill," etc.), but I also remember a time when he ruffled feathers of TC's fans by saying he hoped to play a Nikolas Cassadine with emotions instead of an emotionless robot, or words to that effect.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ah Stephan Colton Martines Scott popped up again? Thought there was a warrant out for his arrest and he was in hiding. The only good thing about his portrayal of Nikolas was his wildly inappropriate chemistry with Jacob Young’s Lucky.  

Some really lovely tributes to Tyler. I thought JJ’s was touching as well. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, racked said:

Some really lovely tributes to Tyler. I thought JJ’s was touching as well.

It really was. When I read this:

“O

ne of the last days working together we spent an entire afternoon re-writing our scenes because we wanted them to really mean something to us personally. Something very special happened and afterwards, Tyler had all of our notes placed in a huge frame as a gift for my departure. That was the kind of friend he was. He loved deeply and had a great passion for life.”

, I remember reading how they both changed and rewrote those last scenes, and they were more emotional and impactful because they did. Both Tyler and Jonathan did justice to that relationship. And I loved how Tyler's last line was said with a Russian accent.

I also remember his other roles-the ones I saw;

He played a father, who was a marine on JAG; then he was an evuhl warlock or somesuch on Charmed.

He also appeared in Steven Spielberg's mini-series, Into the West.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, racked said:

Ah Stephan Colton Martines Scott popped up again? Thought there was a warrant out for his arrest and he was in hiding. The only good thing about his portrayal of Nikolas was his wildly inappropriate chemistry with Jacob Young’s Lucky.  

I remember when people were calling him Coltin Scott Fish Taco Stephan Martines for some reason. I was never sure why but it made me laugh every time.

• LOL 4

“I want everyone to know how sweet and gentle Ty was.”

The common strain regarding who Tyler was. Hollywood is not populated by sweet and gentle people… “Fish Taco” (Ha! Thanks for the reminder.) types are ubiquitous. 

Childhood trauma casts a long shadow. I saw addiction (alcohol) and mental illness wreak the same havoc on someone close to me… Toxic combo.  One or the other, hate to say it, gives you so much more of a chance… 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 2
On 11/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, racked said:

Ah Stephan Colton Martines Scott popped up again? Thought there was a warrant out for his arrest and he was in hiding.

Last I read, he was attempting to reinvent himself as a country singer. Articles about this mentioned the many then-recent allegations as well as some dubious claims made in the press release, for example, that Martines had been drafted out of college to play major-league soccer for the Kansas City Wizards—a team spokesperson denied they'd ever had any connection to him. But I don't know about any legal repercussions, restitution, et cetera, for the alleged cons.  

The only good thing about his portrayal of Nikolas was his wildly inappropriate chemistry with Jacob Young’s Lucky.

Yes, that was amusing. They had more chemistry with each other than with any of their love interests. I used to watch their intensely intimate scenes and think, "I can't wait to read the SoapZone thread about this."

23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I also remember his other roles-the ones I saw;

He played a father, who was a marine on JAG; then he was an evuhl warlock or somesuch on Charmed.

He also appeared in Steven Spielberg's mini-series, Into the West.

I saw the 1999 independent film Tyler Christopher was in right after leaving GH the first time, Catfish in Black Bean Sauce. He got a kind word from the late Roger Ebert in his review. Well, by implication, at least ("[a] well-acted conversation"). 

I remember that around that time, during the annual Quartermaine Thanksgiving debacle, Monica was talking about the unappealing toppings on the pizzas, and she yelled something like "Who would want black bean?" I wondered at the time if that was some writer shade. Maybe not. 

12 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I remember when people were calling him Coltin Scott Fish Taco Stephan Martines for some reason. I was never sure why but it made me laugh every time.

"Mellencamp" was in the litany sometimes too. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

…I wondered at the time if that was some writer shade. Maybe not. 

The brass expect the talented young ones to bolt for perceived greener pastures (JJ, Amber Tamblyn), but it doesn’t make it hurt any less, so maybe. Without that departure and the flourishing of his demons that ensued, I can’t help but think TC may have led a very different life as a longtime leading man that kept Sonny’s cabal from eating the show. Fish Taco was a dollar store prince. 

I always recall the late Jeanne Cooper’s words about those exits when they don’t work out and they so often don’t. “If they are lucky, they can come back to Y&R.” 

TC came back, but once you leave the first time… I realize I am in funky territory there so I will leave it. I am forever grateful for the distraction I got from him and his cast mates the summer of 1996. 

I hear good things about the actor who plays Spencer, and he apparently watched a lot of TC tape. Speaks volumes. Wish him well if he departs as many expect he will. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

Years ago, TC was on Wife Swap, and I was taken aback by how tightly-wound he seemed. I now realize that if you have problems with addictions, even your "healthy" phase will be over the top. That's where he was at the time. I don't remember the specifics, but I think he had himself, his wife and his little boy on a really strict eating and workout system. ("Hilarity" ensued after the swap, obviously.)

ETA -- I found a promo. Forgive the funky extra stuff at the end. I forgot Ron Moss was the other husband, LOL. 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I remember that Wife Swap episode. I'd never seen it before (or since) but was interested because of TC. His kid had never had ice cream or any candy. Or even anything 'bad' for him. I too remember thinking TC was wound VERY tightly and needed to relax. Of course at the time I had no idea of the struggles he was going through. :(

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Tyler’s NYT obituary and the linked People article within are interesting reading. 

Sometimes we fail to appreciate what we have until it is gone. GH (and Days) gave Tyler so much more than a stable life in a frenetic industry and a weekly check and I was glad he was able to express that to Maurice before he died. Love The Presidio, but I have always found Meg Ryan to be an a** for her attitude about ATWT. While 1999 GH and 2023 GH are very different I can tell, the employed actors are just as fortunate with many who would love to take their place. 

While he said he should have done more and many of his former colleagues and loved ones may be feeling the same, I hope Stephen Nichols does not beat himself up. He got Tyler the job at Days and has his own demons by his own admission. 

Edited by ComeWhatMay
Fixed Link
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Pretty sure I had that sweater in the 1980s...

It definitely gave her a siren-y mermaid vibe underwater, though! And the pants, which were not great on land, sort of blended with the water and added to the whole siren thing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It definitely gave her a siren-y mermaid vibe underwater, though! And the pants, which were not great on land, sort of blended with the water and added to the whole siren thing.

Now I see what they were going for, but before all the water nonsense I was kind of surprised by Liv’s outfit, I don’t think I’d ever seen her in pants before.

• Like 3

What a mess. Make sure you leave a will (Tyler supposedly did and I hope so for his kids along with life insurance) and specify your intentions clearly. Make sure your executor is someone reliable. If Tyler’s body is still unclaimed in San Diego at this point, I don’t know what to say, beyond deeply sad. 

If that is Genie and she actually donated to the fundraiser, good grief. 

Tyler’s former manager spoke with People for an article published yesterday. Admitting he didn’t want to cast a “soap actor” in that 1998 “Black Bean” movie, whole lotta yikes. 

Tyler was a successful actor. Louder for that agent and the people in the back.

Edited by ComeWhatMay
Spacing
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 2