Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-big-gh-casting-news/

Emma Samms back as Holly starting April 14; Jane Elliott back as Tracy starting April 17

Interesting, I assumed that Tracy was debuting earlier than that considering how long ago it was announced. Shame she won’t be part of the anniversary. I wonder if her first episode being right after ES’ means that their returns are to wrap up what happened to Luke. Especially considering that Bobbie was talking about him today 

• Useful 5

Finola Hughes was just interviewed on Good Morning America for the show’s 60th anniversary. I didn’t realize they shoot multiple episodes a day. She showed Robin Roberts a script of 80 pages and that it was for 3 shows shooting tomorrow and 2 shows the next day

Edited by DanaK
  • Thanks 3

They shoot by set so it’s not multiple entire episodes each day but parts of multiple episodes each day. They also sometimes shoot out of order if you ever wonder why sometimes reactions don’t make sense or characters have big reactions to something they already know. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

Update on Ingo's lawsuit. 

ABC moved for summary judgment. For those in or visiting the Los Angeles area, the hearing will be held next week: 

03/30/2023 at 08:30 AM in Department 39 at 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012; Hearing on Motion for Summary Judgment

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

William Lipton on his GH status:

INTERVIEW

EXCLUSIVE: GH’S WILLIAM LIPTON ON HIS CAMERON STATUS

March 29, 2023 11:33AM

In the next issue of Soap Opera Digest, William Lipton explains the real-life circumstances behind Cameron’s decision to leave Port Charles for greener pastures (specifically, Stanford University) — and assures viewers that he is not leaving the show permanently. Lipton says he will be “rejoining the cast in the summer,” when the school year ends both for himself and for Cameron, who are each sophomores, and notes that he was touched by the outpouring of love and concern he received from fans on social media when Cam announced his imminent departure, saying, “Working at GENERAL HOSPITAL has been such an important part of my life and while I’m not planning on leaving yet, I just want everyone to know how grateful I am to be part of such an amazing community.” For the full scoop, check out the new issue, on sale Friday

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

William Lipton on his GH status:

INTERVIEW

EXCLUSIVE: GH’S WILLIAM LIPTON ON HIS CAMERON STATUS

March 29, 2023 11:33AM

In the next issue of Soap Opera Digest, William Lipton explains the real-life circumstances behind Cameron’s decision to leave Port Charles for greener pastures (specifically, Stanford University) — and assures viewers that he is not leaving the show permanently. Lipton says he will be “rejoining the cast in the summer,” when the school year ends both for himself and for Cameron, who are each sophomores, and notes that he was touched by the outpouring of love and concern he received from fans on social media when Cam announced his imminent departure, saying, “Working at GENERAL HOSPITAL has been such an important part of my life and while I’m not planning on leaving yet, I just want everyone to know how grateful I am to be part of such an amazing community.” For the full scoop, check out the new issue, on sale Friday

So, just like Robin/Kimberly McCullough went to school and would make short trips back during the summers.

• Like 4

I've very glad Will Lipton is getting the Kimberly McCullough treatment because he's perfectly cast as Liz's son - he even looks like Rebecca Herbst - and I am glad to see the Weber tradition of good skin and fantastic hair live on. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

That was a nice group interview, and as @jsbt said, candid. Or as candid as it could be and still be safe, heh. KW was the most thoughtful about it all, IMO.

It cracked me that Kin said there's no longer any line between him and Scott. Why am I not surprised? Hee.

• LOL 4
14 minutes ago, ciarra said:

April fools?

He's said stuff like this about his tenure at GH previously. GH's first episode actually made it's debut on April 1, 1963 which I hadn't known before today. 

• Useful 1
33 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

Did he and Frank have a hard break-up? I was on the barge when he was fired.

Don't remember, but I DO recall Ron threatening to call some student's PRINCIPAL (and yes, he was serious!) because the poster on Twitter dared criticize his stories/writing (not long before GH booted him).

It was rather pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Grinaldi said:

Did he and Frank have a hard break-up? I was on the barge when he was fired.

Allegedly, a number of the cast campaigned for a creative change to be made as the show really went to the dogs throughout 2014-2015. Tony Geary expressing disdain for him in his exit interviews also came at a key point where Ron was botching multiple storylines at once (Luke's final storyline(s), Ava as Aunt Denise, Who Killed Silas and more) and the first real trending GH hashtag had occurred on social media ("#WhyRatingsAreLow"). This culminated in Ron's firing.

And since FV is ice cold when it comes to business, when it came to Ron or him it's presumed he shivved Ron and let him walk the plank without him. We don't know for certain but given how some of Ron's online sycophants who had a personal line to him turned on Frank at the time, it's likely.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

It's a weird thing to do considering he's HW at Days now.  He comes across as that dumped person who is with a new SO, but just can't get that old one outta his blood.  His one true love.  I just think that's a weird choice when you're HW for Days of our  Lives.  Keep your pining to yourself, it's the smart thing to do. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, CeChase said:

It's a weird thing to do considering he's HW at Days now.  He comes across as that dumped person who is with a new SO, but just can't get that old one outta his blood.  His one true love.  I just think that's a weird choice when you're HW for Days of our  Lives.  Keep your pining to yourself, it's the smart thing to do. 

Ron Carlivati is an ABC Daytime baby. He was (overly) feted as the savior of soaps when he had a good run at OLTL then for a time at GH, but those runs also had many lowlights and bad choices. When Ron and Frank took over GH they kept incorporating elements of the other cancelled ABC soaps into this show, and Frank's plan was allegedly to fuse GH into a 'megasoap' of all three with various cross-connecting characters, stories, etc. Since they were the saviors of soaps and had a devoted following amongst the emerging online soap scene, it was reasoned, who could say no?

This died when Prospect Park utilized its rights option on OLTL and AMC at the time, took those characters and led to the profoundly passive-aggressive 'Pickle Lila vs. Pickle Lila' storyline on GH lol. Then Ron was fired. Now Ron is locked out of the shows he loved most, but keeps referencing however he can on DAYS.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)

The only things I enjoyed that Ron wrote were the water toxin summer storyline and Robin’s return, both of which happened fairly early into his run. Most of it was really bad. Too campy, heavy focus on his original creations, and long standing characters acting wildly out of character because he didn’t take the time to know them. I’m not entirely happy with 2023 GH but his wasn’t great either and caused me to give up the show for a few years

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Ron and Frank saved the show, and they did some good to great things. I'll always be grateful for that. I loved a lot of their work at OLTL too and hated a fair amount of it as well. They also did a lot of ugly or bad things at GH, so here we are. It's a balance.

• Like 11

To be fair, no head writer gets it right 100 percent of the time. There are too many episodes to write, as well as outside demands from the network. You need a strong team to keep the soap going. How many time have we complained that the story is decent but the followthrough is terrible? I think that's mostly on the story writers. The lack of a common writers room has also made it more difficult for the writers to keep continuity going. I also think a certain complacency sets it after a while. Writing for a soap is a grind.

• Like 8
(edited)

I remember some of the longer running male actors who were used to being on all the time back then being mad that their characters weren't the main attractions then too. I think Mo was one who complained about it openly at events? I admit that tickled me at the time because of how annoying I found that mob crap that kept me from really wanting to watch that often. Geary was in on the complaining too and was another I didn't feel bad for at the time. I did watch more during Ron's time there during the good and bad stuff that aired due to some of those guy's characters getting breaks from airing all the time that were needed IMHO.

Going by the article from a just a bit ago today that I'm going to link and quote I think it was Mo who complained at events and I think got caught by someone using their phone to record it. Burton's first exit was during RC's tenure too which is when he ended up on Y&R for a few years. Mo and Geary started referring to RC as "The Writer" which is mentioned.

Former General Hospital Headwriter Wishes Everyone at the Soap a Happy 60th… Except ‘Certain Individuals Who Owe Me an Apology’

As he continued, things got a bit… snarkier. “There are so many wonderful, talented people in Port Charles, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything,” the scribe shared, “even though it ended on a sour note and there are certain individuals who owe me an apology that I’m pretty sure I will never get.”

Carlivati, you might recall, was hired to helm General Hospital back in 2012. To say that this was a scary time for soap fans would be an understatement, given that ABC had only just axed One Life to Live and All My Children, making the soap he’d been hired to write the network’s only surviving drama.

Although Carlivati would be replaced as headwriter few years later — clearing the way for his move to Days— many fans credit him with seeing the show through an incredibly difficult period and helping to keep the long-running soap on the airwaves.

As for the reference to apologies he’s owed, it’s no secret that as Carlivati was exiting the show, several actors made comments that caused a bit of a stir. In fact, in accepting the 2015 Writers Guild Association award for Best Writing in Daytime Serials, the scribe — who had by that time left General Hospital — publicly acknowledged remarks made by Anthony Geary (ex-Luke).

“We told an origin story about one of the most popular characters on daytime television,” Carlivati said in his acceptance speech. “At the time, [Geary] told me it was his favorite storyline in his entire 37 year run on the show. Shortly after this, however, he became disenchanted with my writing and for some strange reason refused to acknowledge that we ever even met, referring to me in interviews only as ‘the writer.'”

Maurice Benard (Sonny) would use the same term to refer to Carlivati in a less than glowing fashion. During a fan event in the fall of 2015, Benard said, “As you guys know… we got rid of the writer. I’m not one to bash but the thing with him was, obviously, he wasn’t a fan of mine… and that’s a stupid thing.”

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Don't remember, but I DO recall Ron threatening to call some student's PRINCIPAL (and yes, he was serious!) because the poster on Twitter dared criticize his stories/writing (not long before GH booted him).

It was rather pathetic.

I remember that too. When I found out about it I thought it was a joke at first.

• Like 1

Tony and Mo were asses there but I cant say the cast was wrong about some of the material. I've seen some it on YouTube. But Ron's thin skin is a bad look. Thanks all for the context.

I did actually like the Aunt Denise stuff just for how brazenly stupid it was. But then again, I'm a Maura West stan.

• Like 1
(edited)

O’Connor: There’s very few deaths in Port Charles that are permanent. You never know.

It's there're not there's, head writer...  🙄

Edited by Pristine
I can't spell.