Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I'm pretty neutral on Alexis and Julian, but I think doing an old school, splashy wedding vs. one in a courthouse/dive bar/living room/hospital room is kinda nice.

Let me amend to say "a 3-day Julexis wedding? Way to try to get Feb. sweeps record lows."

Because I agree a nice wedding for a couple that has actually captured the interest of audience members who don't self-describe themselves as part of an "army" would be nice. Hell, dress Maxie up in a gorgeous wedding gown and put Ryan in a tux. And have the town come celebrate. Beautiful. Or even Sam or Elizabeth and Jason.

But Julian smirking for 3 days straight and Alexis and her hyperventilating antics? Pass.

If I'm wrong and it turns out to be a wonderfully scripted and decent (setting the bar low here) event, I'll say that I stand corrected.

• Love 4

Eye roll. NLG likes Megan McTavish. That tells me everything I need to know. Excuse me while I rage vomit.

Translation: She liked that McTavish had Alexis sleep with Sonny, which meant more airtime for her. I can at least get that a little. 

• Love 5

I don't know if it was a typo on the site I was on but are there 3 actresses nominated for the role of Ciara Brady on Days?  How is that possible?

Other than FH, MW or LW, I don't really recall anyone doing anything worthy of being nominated.  And even MW is a stretch - when were her dying scenes with Silas?

Grahn: I can barely recall it. We shoot everything so damn quickly that it’s all a blur. We do a scene and I’m like, “Huh? What just happened?”

I know what she means; it's how I feel after every episode. She's a hoot in the interview. Sometimes she goes waaaaay off the reservation, but when she has someone there to rein her in, I love her.

I can easily see Laura Wright winning. She'll benefit from the black and white period episode that had long scenes. It was of such a different quality than the wham, bam! pacing of each of the other soaps.

Same here. Voters love to see someone do a 180, and Lena was certainly that from Carly. I loved LW as Lena.

• Love 2

In part 2 we get to read about how NLG and WDV rehearse their sex scenes in her dressing room.  Excuse while I vomit.  Reminds me of her saying last year how doing sex scenes with WDV made her want to start having sex again in real life.

And this writing regime writes women well?  What show are they watching?

• Love 4

Sorry, I might be in the minority on this one, but why wasn't Rebecca Herbst given a pre nom? Did she try to submit in the Lead Actress category? Did decide not to submit at all like Jane Elliot often did? I thought she would be a shoo in for Best Supporting Actress. With actors like JT and DZ pretty much checking out when their characters are trashed, BeccaH really committed to some really shitty material. I thought that was the promise (mind you, not from anyone on the show)! "Hey, Liz being made to look like a fucking selfish loon, but Becca should get award winning material now!" I will even extend that to Kelly Monaco and Emme Rylan.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7

why wasn't Rebecca Herbst given a pre nom? Did she try to submit in the Lead Actress category?

Not sure what category she submitted for, but her husband confirmed she did submit. I'm more curious what scenes she selected. Because out of the quad, I think she deserved recognition more than anyone.

Which brings me to the shock from some of the soap media that JT and BM weren't nominated. Like, huh? For what? What particular scenes did they do this year that were Emmy worthy? I'm open to this discussion. I'm seriously curious.

• Love 5

But now I look back and see there are no supporting actress pre-noms, which is bullshit. Or maybe too many submits meant no one got enough votes? I don't know enough about how this works.

Which brings me to the shock from some of the soap media that JT and BM weren't nominated. Like, huh? For what? What particular scenes did they do this year that were Emmy worthy? I'm open to this discussion. I'm seriously curious.

I don't think Miller has done anything Emmy-worthy, and it's all on the writing for him. He has to play a passive character who doesn't speak much. Could JT submit any of the Robin-returns stuff? That had a lot of emotion, no matter how you felt about it. I think he had some really good scenes with little Brooklyn Silzer when she had got mad about Patrick and Sam breaking up. I thought BS deserved a pre-nom for those scenes. (I imagine that's what she submitted; nothing else has had much oomph.)

• Love 2

Not sure what category she submitted for, but her husband confirmed she did submit. I'm more curious what scenes she selected. Because out of the quad, I think she deserved recognition more than anyone.

This is from the same press probably that were shocked Kelly Sullivan didn't get a nomination for air-humping.

• Love 5

JT needs to just wait till next year. I'm sure he'll win for Y&R (which would be awesome . BM um well he had that scene with Helena where she told him he was Jason and the um scene with Robin on the bridge. The writing wasn't there tbh.

The Jason reveal was:

I need ELQ, so let me take it from all these people who haven't been to town in years. Oh snap, Jason is alive? Well, despite the fact that I, Nikolas Cassadine, married his dead sister and he hates not killing people oh and Quartetmaines... I'll lie about his identity.

I'm Liz. I'm so alone. I'm a nurse. I found a patient, I'll take him home. Calls himself by my dead kid's name, but what the heck, it's not that insane. Omg he's Jason. Omg my kid is alive. Omg we're getting married. Omg I'm nervous. Omg secrets.

I'm Patrick. Sam Sam Sam. Gotta sing about Sam. Make some pasta, then sing about Sam.

I'm Sam. Sam I am. Jason Jason Jason. Jason. Patrick. Jason. Patrick. Jason.

My name is Jake. No wait it's Jason. I have a wife. This is a lot, I need to process. I'll go ride around offscreen and pout. Mumble mumble mumble. Growl growl growl. I don't know this... Jason Morgan.

• Love 7

I think he had some really good scenes with little Brooklyn Silzer when she had got mad about Patrick and Sam breaking up.

Below is what he submitted. And, no, I don't think those scenes were anywhere near worthy of a Lead Actor nom.

MICHAEL:

Did you submit for the Daytime Emmy competition this year?

JASON: Looking back on everything, I wasn’t originally going to submit this year, because it felt weird to submit myself in this moment with what was going on. I did eventually submit for Lead Actor. I ended up submitting the scenes for the pre-nominations, and we will see what happens after that. For the pre-nom round, I went with the scenes where Patrick is mad at Sam, and he ends up throwing the vase against the door, and then the very last scene after Sam leaves, and Emma and Patrick are on the living room floor together, where Emma says she wants to call mommy.

• Love 1

Sorry, I might be in the minority on this one, but why wasn't Rebecca Herbst given a pre nom? Did she try to submit in the Lead Actress category? 

I definitely don't think that's a minority opinion. No matter how much damage was done to Liz or how many detractors Liz may have, I think virtually everyone agrees that Becky (she goes by Becky, not Becca) AT LEAST deserved a pre nom for this story. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7

I am surprised that CD didn't get a nom. I thought that he did some good work this year.

Supporting is the toughest category, and while he got some okay material it was no where nearly as strong as his scenes in 2014, so I'm not surprised.

• Love 1

You'd think ABC would push GH a bit harder to represent the network, since it gives them bragging rights if nothing else. And ABCD needs all the bragging rights it can get right now.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Until Camryn Grimes won at age 10, KMcC was the youngest Daytime Emmy winner (male or female; the youngest actor was 15); it'd be lovely symmetry if BS won for her role as Robin's daughter. But I bet an older actor will win. Still, it's got to be thrilling for her.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

I wonder what Becky submitted. I have to remember that these things are judged only on the couple scenes they see. If it was the lie reveal scenes with BM, it was rather underwhelming for a soap opera reveal, which is all on the writing. There was no big public confrontation where the accused really goes through a variety of emotions depending on who is opposite them at the time. She was only acting against BM and his reaction was also too restrained so I'm not sure that would've been a good choice. I think the Nurse's Ball, when she first made the decision, was really good acting wise even though I hated what she was doing. And the ones with JJ and surprisingly TG at the end of his run were also well done. I'll be interested to hear what fine, scenery dining scenes Brydog submitted too. And I hope Tequan wins and takes his Emmy to Showtime where his new drama is located so that in ads, they can tout 'Emmy award winning actor Tequan Richmond' over and over. Maybe put it on billboards and buses. Maybe even every few miles of Brydog's ride to work in his new car.

My name is not Badsamaritan for no reason.

• Love 6

And I hope Tequan wins and takes his Emmy to Showtime where his new drama is located so that in ads, they can tout 'Emmy award winning actor Tequan Richmond' over and over. Maybe put it on billboards and buses. Maybe even every few miles of Brydog's ride to work in his new car.

My name is not Badsamaritan for no reason.

Hee. But I don't think Showtime would do that. They don't want attention brought to a daytime emmy.

• Love 3

I'd love it if Mr. Richmond went to Showtime and was called "Emmy winner Tequan Richmond", but as his Instagram never mentions GH nor does his twitter..... I think they'll say star of "Everybody Hates Chris" or "Kid who played young Ray Charles" before they say anything with GH. Dude does not want to be known for General Hospital at all. Which of course makes beating BryDawg funnier.

I'd love it if Mr. Richmond went to Showtime and was called "Emmy winner Tequan Richmond", but as his Instagram never mentions GH nor does his twitter..... I think they'll say star of "Everybody Hates Chris" or "Kid who played young Ray Charles" before they say anything with GH. Dude does not want to be known for General Hospital at all. Which of course makes beating BryDawg funnier.

Exactly! The letters G & H never have to be given, just 'Emmy award winning actor Tequan Richmond'. Doesn't even specify Daytime. But Brydog? He be knowing. :-)

• Love 1

Exactly! The letters G & H never have to be given, just 'Emmy award winning actor Tequan Richmond'. Doesn't even specify Daytime. But Brydog? He be knowing. :-)

Lol. I would love if GH was like Tequan Richmond's Degrassi, a'la Drake and Degrassi. Maybe he'll do an interview in Source and let us know some real dirt too.

• Love 1

Color me furious about the BH snub.  Once again, GH goes out of it's way to give the back of it's hand to Liz fans and also to an actress who has been nothing but unfailingly loyal to them for almost two decades now.

Get the hell off this show, Becky.  You deserve so much better than this.

• Love 5

Color me furious about the BH snub.  Once again, GH goes out of it's way to give the back of it's hand to Liz fans and also to an actress who has been nothing but unfailingly loyal to them for almost two decades now.

And don't forget, she was FIRED briefly five years ago around this time, before the outcry surrounding it got her rehired. That doesn't happen often nowadays.

But I honestly think she'll be here until the end. Her kids are all under the age of 15 (with her youngest son being only around five and a half), and even though she probably has more than enough money for them to go to college after over 18 years, I'm sure she doesn't mind keeping the paycheck coming in, especially since I have no idea what MS does for a living now (unless his selling Monavie with SBu and BA almost a decade ago provided a cushion for their family. Who knows?). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
Other than FH, MW or LW, I don't really recall anyone doing anything worthy of being nominated.  And even MW is a stretch - when were her dying scenes with Silas?

She woke up at the end of February so probably early-mid March. Like I said, I don't think she'll make it to the next round and I'm fine with that. Her material was hideous this year. Thanks Ron, asshole. I will never forgive him for saddling her with Denise as a congratulations to her Emmy win from last year.

I take it this is a Valentine's wedding for Julexis? I just seriously don't see the draw. Their entire relationship feels like a way to appease their fans. It doesn't seem real at all.

• Love 1

And don't forget, she was FIRED briefly five years ago around this time, before the outcry surrounding it got her rehired. That doesn't happen often nowadays.

But I honestly think she'll be here until the end. Her kids are all under the age of 15 (with her youngest son being only around five and a half), and even though she probably has more than enough money for them to go to college after over 18 years, I'm sure she doesn't mind keeping the paycheck coming in, especially since I have no idea what MS does for a living now (unless his selling Monavie with SBu and BA almost a decade ago provided a cushion for their family. Who knows?).

The firing was insane. It was interesting watching the show back paddle on that decision.

Last I heard about MS was that he was going to law school. So I would hope that he has his degree and is working in that career field.

I don't blame JT for thinking throwing a vase in anger would get an Emmy nom. It's worked wonders for Mo. Oh wait, that's barware. My bad.

I think the scene when Emma breaks down is Emmy-worthy. But I think Jason should have won the year Robin died, so what do I know?

• Love 2

So I'm reading on the twitter that Jiz fans are all pissed off at BM now because he told someone he hated playing Jake D'oh. I don't blame him, I hated watching him play Jake D'oh, a paper thin caricature of a character. They kept him chained to scenes with the same 2 or 3 people, when he should have been all over PC interacting with erbody and having memory flashes like whoa.

I'm not at all surprised no one got nominated for the Jason Returns story, it's trash pretty much all around. They missed all the beats that could've mattered, and hit all the wrong ones with a sledgehammer.

• Love 13

So I'm reading on the twitter that Jiz fans are all pissed off at BM now because he told someone he hated playing Jake D'oh. I don't blame him, I hated watching him play Jake D'oh, a paper thin caricature of a character. They kept him chained to scenes with the same 2 or 3 people, when he should have been all over PC interacting with erbody and having memory flashes like whoa.

They can't be serious. Is it really surprising that BM allegedly wasn't/isn't happy about playing a pussy bitch character with no agency or POV? 

• Love 6

Billy Miller is so unprofessional, all these actors who choose to half-ass or sleep walk through their scenes should be fired. He should have quit and left this show. Than again I hate Jason... Notice how he still ain't acting and looks bored out of his mind with the Jasam storyline.

Edited by gator12
  • Love 4

Wayne Northrop would've made a great love interest for Tracy. I don't know if Lynn Herring's husband still acts, but Frank needs to call both of them off the farm.

I also don't take much stock in what twitter alleges BM told someone as BM doesn't really do social media. He probably learned his lesson with all the salty drama that happened at Y&R. I'm sure BM hated having no direction for his character and not really being told what to expect. Any actor would. That's the definition of professional. He preferred professionalism. I don't get involved in rabid fanbases because imo they're all salty.

• Love 3

But remember, the cast no longer votes on the people who submit for a prenom, there is a panel of judges now who vote.  I blame TPTB for a lot, but not this one.  BH submitted and the judging panel apparently wasn't that impressed.  It might be a simple as BH submitted the wrong material to get their attention.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 1

That Billy stuff was from almost a year ago though....he had a private lunch with fans and I am sure what he actually said got lost in translation. It was a y&r lunch (iirc) he had with Elizabeth Hendrickson.

I am sure he just said something like he was ready to be Jason.....like most everyone in the audience was. I bet he would have walked if he knew that shit wouldn't be wrapped up for more than half a year and the fallout would be written like it was.

• Love 1
Absolutely don't blame her, even if I don't miss Lucy one bit.

I don't blame her one bit, either, but I do miss Lucy.

It might be as simple as BH submitted the wrong material to get their attention.

I remember reading how TG helped someone with his/her reel, and it made all the difference the next year. It really is all about the reel.

• Love 6

But remember, the cast no longer votes on the people who submit for a prenom, there is a panel of judges now who vote.  I blame TPTB for a lot, but not this one.  BH submitted and the judging panel apparently wasn't that impressed.  It might be a simple as BH submitted the wrong material to get their attention.

Then the show needs to stop writing underwhelming crap for her (or anybody else really). BH's performance over this entire dismal storyline have been incredibly consistent and as true to the character that BH could get while Liz did mind boggling horribly things, with BH showing up in just all of her scenes, but its just that, her performance has to be appreciate as whole and not be limited to a few scenes. I would say Liz pretending to be surprised at the Jason reveal at their non wedding was some really good acting, but it wasn't the scenery chewing stuff that the awards love, and it wasn't focused on her. When Jason confronted Liz over her knowing about him, they really should have made it more explosive. I think the did the best they could, but the writing wasn't there. I am actually slightly pissed that DZ got a prenom and not her.

In the end, the show has already decided who they like and who they hate, awards be damned or even the actor's work ethic or popularity be damned. Ric Hearst is an Emmy winner and probably is playing one of the more interesting characters, but is on recurring and is weirdly absent from the Jason reveal (which could have beefed up BH's own Emmy reel.)

• Love 5

Lynn Herring speaks out regarding Lucy's absence:

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/lynn-herring-addresses-gh-status

Absolutely don't blame her, even if I don't miss Lucy one bit.

Siiigh.  I don't blame her one little bit, but I still miss seeing Lucy and I will never be happy that her last on-screen appearance was her bullshit backstabbing of the Quartermaines in favor of Nikolas.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4