Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: New Wave Queens

• Start Topic

"Purse first." Lolz. I need the purse to be in every episode.

Derrick, Naysha, and Chi Chi were a hot mess as a group, though I thought Chi Chi was good.  I loved Street Meat and Les Chicken Wings, though. “We’re serving big black . . . beans!” Laughing forever.

Bob and Thorgy continue to be my faves. I’m kind of loving their “rivalry” because I think they’re going to push each other to great heights and it’s going to be fantastic. On a side note, I saw a clip on Bob’s Instagram the other day of Thorgy performing and saying she got to have two drinks during every Untucked because Bob doesn’t drink and gave Thorgy her drinks all season. Love it.

So happy to see Chi Chi stay, and I liked Naysha, but I’m not heartbroken to see her go. Having said all that, it’s bullshit that Derrick was safe. I thought he was the worst one in the group performance. Whatevs.

I’m counting the minutes until Snatch Game!

• Love 7

Bye Naysha!  Again.  We all know you had no chance of winning a LSFYL against Chi Chi.  Girl. She painted the runway with Naysha's blood!

Honestly, Derrick is beginning to bother me a bit. It seems like he really doesn't understand that he can't rest on Britney.

Thorgy's runway hurt my eyes.  Betty's runway was amazing.  I still love Bob.

Snatch Game next week! Is it Monday yet?

• Love 4

Tension brought out some stressful reactions, but two people offered sincere apologies on the runway, which goes a long way with me. Still really liking the maturity and level of talent of this group. 

Kim Chi surprised me with how she made the challenge work for her.

• Love 9

Pretty clear bottom group, which was nice for once.

I thought when they assigned groups that the genres were mistakenly assigned; I'd have put ChiChi/Naysha/Derrick as Team Party and the New York Dolls Queens as Team Punk. But I was pleased that the New York team and the team of Kim Chi/Robbie/Naomi (did we get a single confessional from Naomi all episode?) acquitted themselves well.

With all the geometry for Team Synth, I found myself comparing it to Square One's Angle Dance. Tell me it's not apropos:

YMMV, but I thought the lip sync was pretty anemic -- and "Call Me" is a song they could have done a lot to, unlike the Ariana/Demi/whatever song du jour..

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Honestly, Derrick is beginning to bother me a bit. It seems like he really doesn't understand that he can't rest on Britney.

Well he is the first case of the show really having someone who is a celebrity impersonator as their entire career without being a drag queen outside of it on the show. He's probably the most mainstream contestant the show has ever had(which feels weird to say about a poly drag queen). And well... he's a pretty boy who is paid to be professionally pretty as a girl and IMO, has a lot of traits I find pretty typical in professionally pretty people.

• Love 1

YMMV, but I thought the lip sync was pretty anemic -- and "Call Me" is a song they could have done a lot to, unlike the Ariana/Demi/whatever song du jour..

I agree regarding the lip-sync. "Call Me" wasn't a song that called for flips and dips and tricks and much of it came ff as messy to me. To my eye, Naysha's cartwheels were a lopsided mess and it looked to me that Chi Chi flipped as a sort of response to Naysha's flips at first and then went and tricked out. The lip-sync should have been a bit more seductive and taken more inspiration from their challenge.

I call a bit of bullshit on Michelle regarding Derrick's looks. She cited Chad Michaels as someone that was constantly giving different looks, but at the time, Michelle hated that Chad constantly gave different looks and never saw "the real" Chad. "The real" Chad was always an an impersonator, but Michelle never got that. Now that isn't to say Derrick isn't lacking in some areas, but "the real" Derrick Berry makes a living doing Britney and that impersonation is how she got into the drag scene.

I also find myself confused as to where Chi Chi is supposed to suddenly come across these show stopping looks. I don't know the timing of the challenges, so I don't know if she could have made something from the fabric wall in time, but otherwise I don't understand what Michelle wants her to do. I found Sharon Needles and Alaska's frocks to be quite cheap during their run, and to be fair, her criticizing it a bit about it at the time, but this instance just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I preferred Street Meatz.

• Love 5
but otherwise I don't understand what Michelle wants her to do.
I have this problem with Michelle's critiques all the time. I don't mind when she criticizes construction or how pieces are combined (for example, I thought Adore had a crap sense of how to conceputalize an outfit in addition to having weak pieces), but I hate when she or any of the other judges critique the cheapness of a wig or outfit. The queens have what they've got, and there's not much that can be done about it once the contest has started. 
  • Love 9

While I think ChiChi can conceptualize looks well(her looks in the first two episodes and the Empire challenge were all perfectly fine), her last two runways were really bad on pure concept/craft staging, like how her bra in the roller skate runway was a good 3-4 inches too high. You can totally get away with re-wearing the same clothes and shoes and wigs week after week(just look at season 7), you just need to know how to conceptualize it well.

Now how Derrick Berry gets away with clothing just as badly conceptualized but more expensive i'll just file under 'Rupaul wants this bitch to stay like Pearl and Fame'.

• Love 1

The problem also with Chi Chi's look on the runway was she was giving me too much Foxy Brown/Lil Kim and not the fierce 80s Salt N Pepa look she had earlier during her awesome performance. I like her though, and I do think Derrick should have been in the bottom 2 instead of her.

It was nice to see Acid Betty a little more subdued in attitude and more of a team player this week.

• Love 2

Glad that Chi Chi was called out already on play the victim! I get, shes comming from a hard life, but you can´t come so defeated from the beginning of the challenge and play the I´m Poor card once you dont delivery. Its important to have your backstory so people can relate to you, but dont use it as a excuse anymore, this is a entertaning show/business, you dont want people to feel sorry for you and give you free pass (get out of the mindset that you need to win this more than others cause the money).

Poor Naysha, she just couldnt stand out enough, specially on this group, so no surprise on her going home. Loved some of the runway looks. As far on editing and stand ou personalities, I can see Bob, Acid Betty, Thorgy and one more queen (maybe Kim Chi, not sure.. ) as the final 4..

Edited by Guiaoshi

So, I don't really like Chi Chi's drag. BUT! I have to cry foul on Michelle's critique a little bit.

It's absolutely true that expensive outfits don't make the Drag Race Superstar (see the scads of fallen pageant queens with $1k dresses), but it's also true that having the money to execute a vision does give you a decided advantage. This isn't a total defense of Chi Chi, because true inspiration and wit could do a lot more on a budget than Chi Chi is serving up, but for Michelle to say money doesn't matter seemed a little willfully obtuse.

For example, Acid Betty couldn't have those prosthetic gills and fantasy wigs for cheap. Kim Chi has a designer friend making those costumes for her. In recent years, we've heard a lot about the money that goes into these looks. So I really do think a poor queen like Chi Chi is going to have to work twice as hard to win?

• Love 8

. So I really do think a poor queen like Chi Chi is going to have to work twice as hard to win?

In some way, yes, she will! Not that other queens with great looks will have free pass if they do poor job on challenges (that most of the times counts more that the runway look). But if she knows that she has limitations towards her looks, she can´t afford to have such a lazy/whatever attitude on group challenges and hope to get away with excuses. Being right or wrong, she was a weak/defeated team player from the beginning of the challenge. The show can´t have double standards based on how much money this queens have, and is season 8, you know what you´re getting yourself, so don´t play excuses.

Edited by Guiaoshi

. But if she knows that she has limitations towards her looks, she can´t afford to have such a lazy/whatever attitude on group challenges and hope to get away with excuses.

I don't know, I think this whole narrative RPDR is selling us on Chi Chi whiffs of some "pull yourself up by your own stiletto straps" bullshit that's rubbing me the wrong way.

I don't think she's being "lazy" at all. I think she's feeling (rightfully) defeated by the class barriers that she can't overcome.

(Again, I don't even have any stake in Chi Chi! But this really irks me that it's not at all acknowledged as a factor.)

• Love 11

This was such an entertaining episode!  I wonder why Chi Chi isn't working at a Sephora/MAC somewhere?  I thought her eyes looked amazing on the runway.

But OMG....Kim Chi's look!  It was truly like a piece of art...absolutely amazing.....stunning....just stunning.

LOL @ the guy from Blondie saying you can't wear the same shoes during the challenge as the runway show.  I love it when you can tell a guest judge is truly a fan.

I know Bob shouldn't have argued with Lucian, but I had to agree with Bob. I thought the B-52's were all about being over the top and campy....thats what made them great.

Derrick is getting a pass this week....I hope to see him on Snatch Game....but at the same time I don't think he has a very active sense of humor.

Bob and Thorgy fought and I still liked them both!

• Love 3

Tension brought out some stressful reactions, but two people offered sincere apologies on the runway, which goes a long way with me. Still really liking the maturity and level of talent of this group. 

Kim Chi surprised me with how she made the challenge work for her.

Maybe its just me, but I feel like Kim Chi is getting better in heels. 

Debbie Harry seemed extremely stoned (or something).

I'm always a little suspect of someone that wears sunglasses inside.  Even though there were a spate of songs in the 80's that suggested that sunglasses should be worn anytime and all the time.

• Love 2

Maybe its just me, but I feel like Kim Chi is getting better in heels. 

I'm always a little suspect of someone that wears sunglasses inside.  Even though there were a spate of songs in the 80's that suggested that sunglasses should be worn anytime and all the time.

• Love 2

Debbie Harry is one of my favorite people ever, but she did seem very sedate. But pleased to find out she bearded Robbie for a minute, with him having her poster.

Do the queens get paid anything just for being on the show? I know they reap the real benefits from exposure after, but do they get anything beyond room and board? I know they're presented with hotel bills pm the mornings of the days when they have to lip sync, but is that just room service and cable movies they ordered? And has the food they're served improved from when vegetarian Sharon Needles ate bread dipped in ranch dressing for the weeks she was filming?

I'm just feeling for Chi Chi and her financial situation if she had to leave both jobs to make no income for the time that she was on the show. I hope her star will rise with the show's help and exposure, but I hope that for everyone this season.

• Love 4

"Purse first." I squealed in delight when Purse made her solo entrance to start the episode last night. As it should be. :-D

Chris stein clocking chichi's shoes THE BEST!

Omg when he said that and why he said it I nodded to no one in the room but the dog and said "yup he's a true fan." Love him even more (big Blondie fan here) after last night's ep.

Naysia seems very nice but she needs some more dance moves or something, seems like she just repeats the same ones over and over in the LSFYL and they moves she has seem so weak. I think Derrick should've been bottom two instead of Chi Chi, I have not been impressed with him that much. The Chicken Wings and NY Queens gave me life during their group performances, lol.

Have not watched Untucked yet, will very soon...

Bring on Snatch Game!

• Love 5

I agree, just watched Untucked and wow, this group of queens is just so generous, mature, caring (and funny!). Naysia's gift to Chi Chi made this old hard soul tear up just a little. I so want Chi Chi to have more of that support, to learn, to grow, and I think she will get it with this season's group (well, most of them). And her mommy is awesome and so beautiful! Even Betty was sweet backstage, bucking Chi Chi up, finding her a hair brush, etc.

And Robbie's continued fangurl-ing of Debbie Harry made me like her a little more. I really liked how Debbie and Chris Stein not just went backstage and met with Robbie, Naomi and Kim Chi but gave some advice as well. And I cannot get over that Chris has seen every ep of RPDR, I love that he's such a fan.

• Love 5

Here are a couple of links for Monday's episode.  Hope this helps =)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40l6h0

and if that doesn't work try this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7IyLGz9FucSeGJQS3ZOMUR3QmM/view?pref=2&pli=1

I think Derrick should've been bottom two instead of Chi Chi

I thought Derrick would have done better in this challenge.  A Britney impersonator should know how to sing, right?  LoL--but this Britney Spears we are talking about =)  She's not a Adele impersonator.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 4

Lucian's hair turned almost completely gray so quickly. Not that I'm complaining or anything, Silver Fox! It's just that it's usually a pretty gradual thing, and his hair was not nearly this gray last season (nor did it look like he had been coloring it).

Edited by Snaporaz

I thought when they assigned groups that the genres were mistakenly assigned; I'd have put ChiChi/Naysha/Derrick as Team Party and the New York Dolls Queens as Team Punk. But I was pleased that the New York team and the team of Kim Chi/Robbie/Naomi (did we get a single confessional from Naomi all episode?) acquitted themselves well.

I'm calling producer Tom Foolery on this.  It seems very odd that the NY team wouldn't want Punk.  They are the perfect example of rough and tumble punk--it's such a NY sound.  Why would they want Pop and not only that but actually argue over the choice with the other groups.  My gut is telling me that the producers had already assigned these genres to the teams.  Kim Chi, Robbie, and Naomi with Punk?  Come on they should have wanted/gotten Pop.

Another great episode. These queen are real performers, which makes all the difference.

The bottom two was bullshit though. Derrick totally should have been there instead of Chi Chi.

Bob was definitely out of pocket arguing with a guest judge, but I think he was right on the merits. Their group was clearly supposed to be the B-52’s, and the B-52’s are broad and campy cool, not laid-back cool. And they totally got it and nailed it.

And I thought it was funny how the other groups were capitalizing on the stress between Thorgy and Bob by continually getting Thorgy wound up. It was so transparent, and yet it looked like Thorgy fell for it every time.

I still like Bob and Thorgy a lot though. In fact, nobody looked like a jerk here. Bob and Thorgy (and even Acid Betty, whom I normally don’t like much) just seemed like performers under stress. And the instigators who were egging on Thorgy just looked like they were having fun with it, not being actively malicious. What a great group of queens.

Finally, I plotzed over Debbie Harry. And I loved that Robbie Turner geeked out over her; I was afraid this group would be too young to know that they were in the presence of true greatness.

• Love 5

I'm calling producer Tom Foolery on this.  It seems very odd that the NY team wouldn't want Punk.  They are the perfect example of rough and tumble punk--it's such a NY sound.  Why would they want Pop and not only that but actually argue over the choice with the other groups.

I think it could've been strategy because you know the judges would've dinged the New York group for going the safe route and doing punk because that would've been the very thing everybody expected from them.

Michelle's critique of Acid Betty's outfit didn't make a lot of sense to me because yeah it was retro 50s but the obvious inspiration were the B-52s who were the 1950s/60s run through dayglo paint.

• Love 6

I still like Bob, Thorgy and Chi Chi, but I feel like I got to see their negative traits this time around.

More than anything, Thorgy annoyed me with her bitterness over not winning the Empire challenge. You were good, but you weren't the best. Deal with it.

• Love 3

I would have liked to see Derrick and Naysha in the bottom, because either one could go home now and I'd be fine.  However, if they had to put Chi Chi in the bottom, then I suspect she had a better chance of beating out Naysha.

I wonder how bitter Thorgy is going to be with the second occurrence of they-praised-me-and-all-I-got-was-safe.

Team New York was interesting to me because they all seem to know each other pretty well from before the show. Interestingly enough, I think it's why Betty was less pugilistic than usual. She knows these girls and their quirks and is more confident that they'll turn it out.

I love Thorgy but I can't believe she didn't think the black beans joke was funny!

Snatch Game will be make-or-break for Derrick.

I came very close to bankruptcy myself so I was feeling for Chi Chi. That said, I wish she would have been up front with her feelings from the get-go. Her group was the "rejects" anyway and needed a positive dynamic.

Naysha reminds me so much, physically, of a friend of mine who is part Egyptian and also has a ridiculous booty.

I know Bob shouldn't have argued with Lucian, but I had to agree with Bob. I thought the B-52's were all about being over the top and campy....thats what made them great.

Yeah, I like Lucian, but I agreed with Bob. Love the B-52s, but if you'd see their picture if you looked up "campy" in the dictionary.

I just got done watching Untucked, and add another voice gushing about how wonderful this year's queens are. They're so supportive and kind to each other, and I love it. Naysha's parting gift for Chi Chi was so wonderful, and I hope we get to see Chi Chi's reaction at the beginning of next week's episode. I loved Betty and Naomi asking Chi Chi what she needed and how they could help her. Chi Chi's mom was wonderful too. I had the warm fuzzies throughout that episode. I'm already dreading Season 9 because I can't imagine a group of queens better than this one.

• Love 4
I love Thorgy but I can't believe she didn't think the black beans joke was funny!

Was that the joke she was sniffing at?! Oh no, that killed - and it was totally B-52sy.

Yeah, Thorgy kinda showed her butt this episode. I forgot about her complaining about not winning the Empire challenge. Sorry, she was great, but Bob won it fair and square. I still like Thorgy a lot though.

• Love 3

This week's editing was hinky.  They speeded up the runway then blasted through announcing the winner.  I guess I don't mind in general but I like Robbie and he got short changed a bit.  No basking in the glow, no close up.

Still not feeling Bob's drag.  He's now officially dubbed the ratchet queen by Michelle?  Is that a thing now?  Seems like most other queens get criticized for that aesthetic.  I'm thinking Jinkx and Alaska off the top of my head.  Also Bob makes almost no attempt to look or act feminine.  Again, is this a thing now?  Even the judges were referring to Bob as "him".

• Love 3

I agree that the show has a real problem dealing with queens who can't afford the more extravagant looks. It's been an issue, and has been brought up before (see: Jiggly Caliente). Yes, you can borrow things and take fabric from the walls, but that isn't going to compare with a fully-realized look brought in specifically for a challenge, and SO MANY queens out there are excruciatingly poor and make do with what they have, but wouldn't stand a chance in this competition because of the sniffling attitude that Michelle (and, for the most part, Ru) give to discount runway looks.

Robbie Turner really changed his entire demeanor for the challenge, which I love, but in a way, I think he was rewarded for the skating last week. Bob, Acid and Thorgy really were the winners, but I think the show doesn't want to make it all look too much like a cake walk for them.

Derrick wasn't in danger at all this episode. I wonder if he'll go home soon-ish, because it's getting impossible to cover for the fact that he's just...bland. I suspect he'll do well as Britney in Snatch Game and then maybe he can go. Or he'll fall on his head in Snatch Game, because if you make your living impersonating someone (Chad Michaels), then you'd better do it perfectly.

Naysha got to pick up another Ru trophy. Aren't we glad we got to see more of her? She was so....um? However, in "Untucked," when she gave the cat suit (did Bob wear that in the Empire episode?) and the bathing suit, I just loved her for that.

Edited by xingcat
  • Love 4

1) I agree 100% with everyone calling shenanigans on the B2.  Derrick should have been there.  Her runway outfit was as basic and ChiChi's honestly but even worse her performance was completely forgettable.  She disappeared.  Also Lucian Pane's "You're not that great of a vocalist"  bwah!   Of their entire group, Chi Chi was the only one who made any impression during their song.  This felt so  totally producer driven so 1) they could create an arc for Chi Chi and 2) keep personality-free Derrick around for Snatch Game because the odds are she's gonna do Britney. 

2) My favorite performance was Chicken Wing.  They were fun, their song was clever and witty and not a single one of them got lost on the stage.  Also,  Individually, their runway looks were great and distinctive. Kim Chi's Picasso thing was amazing.  But I also liked Robbie's 'Wicked Stepmother from Cinderella" look and Naomi's Barbie -- which looked amazingly doll like.

3) My favorite, group, though was the Street Meatz.  Mainly because I could totally envision Betty, Thorgy and Bob in some sort of New York Drag Queen version of the Golden Girls.  They were cracking me up even when they were a little on the outs during their collaboration.  And My goodness, Thorgy has great facial expressions.  She reminds me of Joanne Worley!  Even Betty seemed like she was having some fun.  I thought Bob's runway was a vast improvement.  It was conceptual and seemed to evoke both the theme of the runway and the performance.  Acid Betty is basically an artist.  I didn't mind Thorgy's Window Pane look, but I agree she needs to edit.

4) I hated all the twirling during the LSFYL, but when ChiChi wasn't doing all that and was actually Lip-syncing, she was very riveting.  She really can perform.  I especially liked her ending on the universal "call me" sign by putting her finger & thumb to her ear and mouth.  Once again. Naysha seemed to just disappear.

5) Untucked was wonderful.  Holy Christmas.  There were some great lines:

Kim Chin to Debbie Harry: "Your Titties look great!"

Bob to ChiChi "RuPaul has put his long skinny black man hands on you"

Acid Betty to Thorgy "If I could touch my ears I would plug them"

Everybody was so warm and sweet to each other.  My god, even Acid Betty's heart seemed to grow three sizes. 

And I am not gonna lie, that was some classy shit Naysha did at the end given the little pep talk Michelle/Ru gave to Chi Chi.  I totally get the defensive pride in poverty that ChiChi feels.  It is bad enough you have nothing, you can't feel as if you are going around asking for shit.   Hopefully she'll incorporate that.

Man this season is really cracking so far, I hope this keeps up.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5

I'm so genuinely impressed by this cast that it has pushed me to write, seriously. I mean, even the bottom group, who absolutely deserved to be in the bottom, wasn't as bad as they could have been, and could have probably been safe in almost any other season. Just, so much talent and stage presence all around.

I also noticed that the Bob-Thorgy "feud" had very very little meanness of spirit behind it; no doubt they were frustrated with each other, but more so in the confessionals, goaded by the producers, than in the actual footage, where they were all giggling together -and with Acid Betty! who can giggle!!- every other shot.

There seems to be a lot of mutual respect and admiration going around, and that's lovely to see, on top of great talent.

The only one I'm not feeling at all right now is Derrick, there doesn't seem to be much going on behind the Britney eyes. I'm ready to eat my words, though, I wasn't expecting much from Naomi, Chi Chi and Robbie either, and they all turned it out.

I appreciated the athleticism of the lipsynch, but that's not my favorite kind of performance, especially not for a song like Call Me. I prefer facial and mouth contortions to body gyrations.

• Love 3
This week's editing was hinky.  They speeded up the runway then blasted through announcing the winner.  I guess I don't mind in general but I like Robbie and he got short changed a bit.  No basking in the glow, no close up.

I too was bummed by the speediness of the runway and the almost dismissal attitude of the top 3--just announce the winner and then have them leave??  My draw dropped to the floor with Kim Chi's look; holy crap that is some mad makeup skills there.  He alone should have gotten more praise.  Robbie's look-enh ok I guess.  Kinda so-so.

I appreciated the athleticism of the lipsynch, but that's not my favorite kind of performance, especially not for a song like Call Me. I prefer facial and mouth contortions to body gyrations.

To quote a queen from season 2 it's LSFYL not Do Gymnastics For Your Life.  Enh I don't mind the stunts as long as it's done like in a musical break between the chorus but when it's time to sing SING damit!!  But I like Chi Chi so I'm glad she stayed.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice when, about 8 minutes into the show, they used some of the same background music that they use on Face Off (on the reveal stage)? It's just funny because I only really watch two current shows, RPDR and Face Off.

Did anyone else notice when, about 8 minutes into the show, they used some of the same background music that they use on Face Off (on the reveal stage)? It's just funny because I only really watch two current shows, RPDR and Face Off.

I thought I was imagining things!  Yes!!

• Love 1

It was nice to see Acid Betty a little more subdued in attitude and more of a team player this week.

This so much.  I liked her this week and I'm astonished.   Each of these queens has something special--their chemistry and camaraderie are pretty awesome.  Very classy of Naysha to leave Chi Chi those clothes...

I adored Robbie's reaction to Debbie Harry!  I thought Robbie's Southern Neon Belle look was a little boring until I looked close up at her dress and flawless makeup.  Speaking of flawless makeup, Betty and Kim Chi!!! Astounding, truly.

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 3