Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Refraction

Oh Norma. You'll never learn to choose yor company more carefully.

Damn the sequence with the doctor. I had a feeling Norman's reconciliation was with Mother and not Norma after that "yor father's dust" stuff. And then he turns into Mother right in front of the doc?!

Yeah, that poor nice guy isn't getting out of this season alive. Too bad.

• Love 5

The scene between Norman/Mother and Doctor Edwards was made of all kinds of win.   I thought it was incredibly well done and just creepy enough to be effecting without going over the top.  

I loved that Romero is being honest with Norma.  Hell Norma is just the kind of person to think killing a dude is sexy.  

• Love 15

Freddie was amazing when Norman became Mother in therapy. I love how you could tell it had happened but it was so subtle, the way he spoke and the way he carried himself. I was watching it going OMG He's MOTHER!!!! It gave me chills.

Such a great ep, but short (since I do other things during the Dillon and Emma show. Even topless Dillon can't make then entertaining enough for me to pay attention).

If Chick harms one hair on Norma's head....I'm not sure who will kill him first. Romero, Norman, possibly even Caleb.

Vera was amazing in the scene with Chick in the kitchen. You could see her falling apart at the mention of Caleb. Man the acting on this show is outstanding.

That was a very fast hour and now I will be waiting anxiously all week for the next episode.

• Love 7

At this point, I have either Dr. Edwards or Chick being the next one to die.  Both of them are playing fire in their own ways.  With Dr. Edwards, it will be eventually occurring the wrath of Norman or, to be more accurate, "Mother."  For Chick, threatening Norma like that will put him on the shit list of a whole group of people like Romero, Norman, Caleb if he ever comes back, and even Norma herself can never be underestimated.

Dr. Edwards meeting "Mother" was amazing.  Vera Farmiga is my favorite for the most part, but I feel like Freddie Highmore has really been shining this season, and it bums me out that he will probably be overlooked during award season.  The way he flips between Norman and "Mother" is close to perfection.  Not too obvious, but just enough that you can usually tell when it has happened.

Romero confessing that he killed Bob to Norma, and her being totally cool with it, is so in character.  Because, yeah, Norma knows he did it for her, and what is more romantic then committing murder to protect the ones you love?!

Hey, Dylan managed to use his background in the drug trade to impress a guy in Seattle!  Now, he and Emma just need to quit trading scar stories and get over there, like, right now.  Again, not because I don't enjoy them, but the sooner they get out of White Pines, the less likely they suffer any kind of horrible fates.

Have a feeling we still aren't done with Romero's ex.

• Love 8

This show is on fire. I agree with all of the praise for Freddie Highmore. He's been excellent this season and it's only going to get more intense.

I really would like it if they'd hurry up with tying Dylan and Emma to the main story because I like them but they're starting to bore the shit out of me. 

I think Norman is such a jerk for using Emma as an excuse to call Norma. So he does know that she just had a lung transplant and doesn't want to check on her, but is willing to use her? I thought that said a lot about how it really is all about him. 

The scenes with the psychiatrist were riveting. 

The scene with Chick was frightening. I didn't expect it to take that turn when he started talking about Caleb raping Norma. 

Romero confessing that he killed Bob to Norma, and her being totally cool with it, is so in character.  Because, yeah, Norma knows he did it for her, and what is more romantic then committing murder to protect the ones you love?!

It reminded me of the moment in Sweeney Todd where Mrs Lovett finds out that Sweeney Todd has committed murder and then he tells her why he did it and she just kind of shrugs her shoulders like 'Oh, that's a different matter then.'

• Love 2

Of course, Caleb introducing himself as Dylan's father instead of Uncle is having horrible consequences.  It was really thoughtless of him.   Norma's probably going to have to tell Romero the truth about Caleb and I'm very curious how Romero will respond.  Would he kill Caleb even if Norma doesn't want that?

I'm loving Dylan/Emma and their growing intimacy.  Norman using Emma to sneak a call to Norma really showcases why Emma broke up with him and fell for Dylan.  For Norman, everything is about him and Norma, and there really isn't room for anyone else.  Even though Norman is aware that the rift between Norma and Dylan has been repaired, Norman still talks as if he's Norma's only family.  Norman desperately needs to Norma's shoulder to lean on and can't handle her leaning on anyone else for support.  His response to Norma's marriage is going to be intense.

Norman becoming Mother was eerie.  I don't see how we get to the Norman of Psycho unless Norman fools the doctor into clearing him or Mother eliminates the doctor.  He knows way too much to release Norman at this point but at the same time law enforcement has basically cleared Norman of murder.  So the doctor knows a lot but doesn't yet know how dangerous Norman/Mother is. 

• Love 6

Agree that the scene between Norman and the doctor was excellent.

I know that all shows have characters that are not that interesting,but Emma has always been a major snooze-fest. Wish Dylan wasn't being dragged down with her.

• Love 4

This show!!!! 

Norman turning into Mother right before the Dr.s eyes. Freddie is such a great actor. Why are these shows always overlooked at award time? When we were watching the scene with Norman taking a walk with "Norma" I was going thats his imagination right? It was done so wonderfully.

Norma can attract the crazies ,right? 

I nominate the banker lady ex-girlfriend for extermination before the end of the season.

• Love 5

Agree that the scene between Norman and the doctor was excellent.

I know that all shows have characters that are not that interesting,but Emma has always been a major snooze-fest. Wish Dylan wasn't being dragged down with her.

I never particularly cared for Dylan and liked Emma. I think the major problem right now is that they are both so separate from the main plot. They are both far more interesting when they are connected to the motel in some way. Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

The scene between Norman/Mother and Doctor Edwards was made of all kinds of win.   I thought it was incredibly well done and just creepy enough to be effecting without going over the top.  

Couldn't agree more. It was one thing when Norman's switch flipped and he became Norma, but when he also seemed to be flirting with the good doctor that just took it to a whole 'nother level of creepiness. I find it kind of interesting that Norman's idea of Norma is sexually repressive of his sexuality but yet he portrays her as a sexual being. I guess he knows that Norma isn't afraid to use her sexuality and attractiveness to get what she wants. 

• Love 10

Couldn't agree more. It was one thing when Norman's switch flipped and he became Norma, but when he also seemed to be flirting with the good doctor that just took it to a whole 'nother level of creepiness. I find it kind of interesting that Norman's idea of Norma is sexually repressive of his sexuality but yet he portrays her as a sexual being. I guess he knows that Norma isn't afraid to use her sexuality and attractiveness to get what she wants. 

That's totally what I thought when Norman began to "change".  It almost seemed as if the good doctor was attracted to him, until he realized that he was talking to "Mother". That's also when I realized that Freddie should win all the awards for TV acting that there are. God, it was so subtle. He knows his mother too well.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 10

I don't see how we get to the Norman of Psycho unless Norman fools the doctor into clearing him or Mother eliminates the doctor.  He knows way too much to release Norman at this point but at the same time law enforcement has basically cleared Norman of murder.  So the doctor knows a lot but doesn't yet know how dangerous Norman/Mother is. 

I'm curious - but at what point can Norman check himself out? I know he signed the voluntary commitment papers, but I thought those types of patients were free to leave against medical advice as long as they didn't present a clear danger to themselves and others. Again, Norman hasn't expressed any homicidal or suicidal ideation. Blackouts usually aren't a reason to keep a patient in the hospital, otherwise epileptic patients would never get to go home. Would hallucinations be enough of a reason to keep a person committed in a psychiatric hospital, especially if they were "benign"?

Edited by Garden Wafers
  • Love 2

Since Norman became Mother in front of the Dr. and he previously said that Mother killed people... that may be an issue of danger to others. But now that the other dude called and didn't report any murders... IDK Im confused.

Is it just me or did Norman SOUND like Norma when he became Mother?. WOW

• Love 3
Since Norman became Mother in front of the Dr. and he previously said that Mother killed people... that may be an issue of danger to others. But now that the other dude called and didn't report any murders... IDK Im confused.

Norman told the doctor that he believed his mother, as in Norma herself was murdering people. Naturally when the police officer looked into things he'd dismiss it since other than Keith, Norma hasn't killed anyone. That said, as everyone has speculated about the doctor inevitably being killed, if it does indeed happen, I think it will be when he puts it together in his mind that the reason Norman thinks his mother was killing people is because he's remembering himself doing it but it happened when in his disassociative state as Mother. The doctor seems fairly smart so I will not be surprised to see him figure it out and yeah that will likely be the thing that ends him. 

It almost seemed as if the good doctor was attracted to him, until he realized that he was talking to "Mother".

I didn't get that impression. I thought the doctor seemed uncomfortable and unsure of what was happening and how to proceed until he put it together. I think he wasn't sure at first if Norman was trying to make him uncomfortable, knowing he was gay to maybe make an accusation against him, etc. 

I find it kind of interesting that Norman's idea of Norma is sexually repressive of his sexuality but yet he portrays her as a sexual being.

"Mother" is domineering and controlling and very aggressive. She will use sex and her sexuality if it furthers her purpose and goal in protecting Norman but she is judgmental of every female Norman comes into contact with because they are not "nice" girls. Norman's twisted reality with all of this makes sense when you remember the times Norma did make him feel guilty and/or bad about being with someone. Not to mention both times he went off with Bradley, Norma ended up almost raped and later arrested for the murder of her attacker. Then there is of course the weird, unnatural undertones in his relationship with Norma that has likely screwed up his head about sex, females, desire, etc. 

I think the major problem right now is that they are both so separate from the main plot. They are both far more interesting when they are connected to the motel in some way.

This exactly and it has always been a problem particularly with Dylan. Emma at least was first closely tied to Norman with the whole sex trafficking thing in Season 1 and then liking him and then even when they weren't spending as much time together in Season 2, she was working at the motel and having scenes with Norma. And last season started with her and Norman attempting to date and that quickly falling apart and then the gradual build up to her and Dylan. But now it's like they're just in their own world on another show. It made no sense that it almost seemed like Dylan didn't call Norma for days knowing where and how they found Norman. That whole thing happened with Norman and Norma before he was committed and it's like Dylan had no clue, wasn't involved or informed in any way. It's just strange and I really do not know where the writers are going with them. 

Speaking of being off in their own world, I guess that's why, call me cold but I didn't really care that much that Norman used Emma as a decoy for calling Norma. He knew the doctor would say no to calling Norma, likely based on his last reaction/meltdown when Norma came to visit and the doctor's belief that maybe some time apart is good, so he came up with the most convenient excuse that would likely get him permission to make a call. I don't think it's that he doesn't care at all about Emma's surgery but just that much like Emma and Dylan don't seem too concerned by what's going on with Norman, he's more focused on Norma as has been the case in their weird, creepy relationship for years. 

Damn the sequence with the doctor. I had a feeling Norman's reconciliation was with Mother and not Norma after that "yor father's dust" stuff.

Really...because I didn't find anything suspicious about that scene and I'm wondering if it will be revealed that Norma really did come to see Norman. Because the doctor's only proof was that she never signed in as a guest but the way the moment happened was that Norman was outside and Norma was walking up and saw him. It is entirely possible that Norma just forgot about signing in when she saw Norman. And then they talked and she left without ever signing in. But that happening helped create a moment that forced Mother out in the therapy session and the doctor to realize the extent of Norman's mental illness. 

YMMV but I didn't find anything out of character or different about Norma in the scene outside with Norman. I can always tell when it's Mother present and not Norma and I never had a second of suspicion of that watching that scene. For me, one of the most telling things that made me think this was absolutely real was Norma telling Norman that it was the doctor's job to ask questions and he was just trying to help. Mother is NOT that understanding, Mother is NOT that warm and encouraging - certainly not as far as we've seen her. She's brittle, cold, domineering and controlling. I didn't see that in the scene with Norma and Norman outside. Until told so irrevocably, I think it actually did happen. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I never particularly cared for Dylan and liked Emma. I think the major problem right now is that they are both so separate from the main plot. They are both far more interesting when they are connected to the motel in some way.

They do feel like they are on a different show right now. I like both and like them as a couple so as much as I want them integrated into the main plot, I kind of wish they'd skip off to Seattle. They are so not making it there though. Dylan in particular feels doomed.

I liked Romero/Norma better before the marriage. I did like Norma's reaction to his confession. I'm bored with Romero's ex.

Freddy and Vera really are great.

• Love 1

So was I actually. I think it was because I was expecting an actual scar, like a huge red line but instead it was like she had staples across her chest. It was a bit jarring to be honest. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Really...because I didn't find anything suspicious about that scene and I'm wondering if it will be revealed that Norma really did come to see Norman. Because the doctor's only proof was that she never signed in as a guest but the way the moment happened was that Norman was outside and Norma was walking up and saw him. It is entirely possible that Norma just forgot about signing in when she saw Norman. And then they talked and she left without ever signing in. But that happening helped create a moment that forced Mother out in the therapy session and the doctor to realize the extent of Norman's mental illness. 

YMMV but I didn't find anything out of character or different about Norma in the scene outside with Norman. I can always tell when it's Mother present and not Norma and I never had a second of suspicion of that watching that scene. For me, one of the most telling things that made me think this was absolutely real was Norma telling Norman that it was the doctor's job to ask questions and he was just trying to help. Mother is NOT that understanding, Mother is NOT that warm and encouraging - certainly not as far as we've seen her. She's brittle, cold, domineering and controlling. I didn't see that in the scene with Norma and Norman outside. Until told so irrevocably, I think it actually did happen. 

Up until now, when Norman is talking to "Mother," we're given a shot (often the POV of another character in the same space) that shows that Norman is, indeed, talking to himself. In this scene, we didn't get that -- just at one point some guy passing on the road who seemed to throw a quizzical look in that direction. So I don't know if the visual language of the show is changing (a k a they're messing with us) or if Norma really was there. I wouldn't put it past her to just show up without signing in either.

• Love 2

Dylan in particular feels doomed.

I have a feeling this whole nonsense with Chick will draw Dylan back to White Pine Bay before the poor guy can make it to Seattle. I hope I'm wrong, because... save Dylan!!!

I think it was because I was expecting an actual scar, like a huge red line but instead it was like she had staples across her chest.

Her incision hasn't had time to heal yet, so her using the word "scar" wasn't accurate. It's still an incision and still needs to fully close. Right now the poor girl would feel like Frankenstein, so I can see why she'd be self conscious.

• Love 3

I have a feeling this whole nonsense with Chick will draw Dylan back to White Pine Bay before the poor guy can make it to Seattle. I hope I'm wrong, because... save Dylan!!!

Her incision hasn't had time to heal yet, so her using the word "scar" wasn't accurate. It's still an incision and still needs to fully close. Right now the poor girl would feel like Frankenstein, so I can see why she'd be self conscious.

I was expecting a "zipper" like after open heart surgery.

• Love 1

I thought the same thing.  I'm going to rewatch that scene after work today, but I definitely didn't get a Mother vibe from Vera in that scene at all.   I agree that she either saw Norman outside and never bothered to go inside to sign in, or she was just being her usual bend-the-rules self. 

The scene where the doctor was assessing the situation when Norman switched to Mother was very well acted.   At first the doctor seemed a little confused and then realized Norman was dissociating.   I wonder if we will get any followup on his initial reaction to realizing Norman was changing into his mother. 

One thing I am curious about is Chick's reaction to seeing Norma in the hardware store and how he came to associate her with Caleb and Dylan.   It seems like he knew who she was or the very least about Bates Motel.   I don't remember anything from last season to indicate that this would be the case.

Edited by Fable

For me, one of the most telling things that made me think this was absolutely real was Norma telling Norman that it was the doctor's job to ask questions and he was just trying to help. Mother is NOT that understanding, Mother is NOT that warm and encouraging - certainly not as far as we've seen her. She's brittle, cold, domineering and controlling. I didn't see that in the scene with Norma and Norman outside. Until told so irrevocably, I think it actually did happen. 

On the other hand, I don't think the real Norma would be that warm or encouraging either; at least, not in this particular scenario. The moment she learned that Dr. Edwards asked about Norman's father, I expected a flustered and babbling Norma - instead, she was fairly even-keeled about the whole matter. Plus, given her flair for the dramatic, I thought it was odd how she didn't immediately go flying down the pathway to hug her darling baby boy once she spotted him - similar to her reaction earlier in the season at the state hospital. Instead, she continued down the pathway calmly and let Norman come to her. So while I'd agree that this version of Norma wasn't consistent with prior versions of "Mother", I still thought something was a bit off with her characterization. 

• Love 2

OMG, it just hit me (I know, I'm an idiot) Norman is not only going to kill Norma, he is going to stuff her, A. How Freudian is that?

And B. He' going to prop her corpse around the house and carry on conversations with her in *that* voice.  Are we going to have a stuffed Vera on random beds and couches?  Oh the hilarity in the times he has to store her in the fruit cellar.

• Love 5
On the other hand, I don't think the real Norma would be that warm or encouraging either; at least, not in this particular scenario. The moment she learned that Dr. Edwards asked about Norman's father, I expected a flustered and babbling Norma - instead, she was fairly even-keeled about the whole matter. Plus, given her flair for the dramatic, I thought it was odd how she didn't immediately go flying down the pathway to hug her darling baby boy once she spotted him - similar to her reaction earlier in the season at the state hospital. Instead, she continued down the pathway calmly and let Norman come to her. So while I'd agree that this version of Norma wasn't consistent with prior versions of "Mother", I still thought something was a bit off with her characterization.

I thought her behavior was consistent with Norma.   She downplays the relationship between Norman and his father,  which is typical of Norma.   She is always in denial and burying things, and she doesn't want Norman to give it much credence, so she just dismisses it.  The fact that she didn't run up and hug Norman didn't strike me as that odd, since the last time they saw each other, he basically told her he was through with her.   She probably just wanted to gauge  his reaction before moving in too close.

I became confused about the outside visit with Norma. I guess it's possible that it was her, but it's also possible that it was Mother. They created such a firm and unique way of figuring out if Norman is talking to Norma or Mother (usually it's the clothing and hair, combined with Mother being more calm yet aggressive) that they could be switching it up, to show the audience that, like Norman, we can't figure it out right away either. We usually get pretty good hints. This time, they left it very ambiguous that I wouldn't be surprised either way. The only thing I can think of it for the reason being Mother is that Norma was wearing different clothes earlier that day, as well as her next scene. Whether the time period is more than a day in that case, I'm not sure. I do think it was Mother, though. Norma would have been much more emotional at seeing Norman, especially after their fight. Plus, Norma didn't seem super happy or telling people that she saw Norman. 

I really am rooting for Dylan and Emma to go to Seattle, but I'll bet that won't happen. It's too easy, too happy, too convenient. I want them to be happy, but I also don't want them to leave. I do love their scenes together, though. We do need a happy couple, even if it's 'boring' compared to the show. 

Norman's transition into Mother in front of Dr. Edwards was so, so good. Dr. Edwards looked equally fascinated as he did confused. He was trying to figure out Norman/Mother throughout that whole section; I think he's starting to realize he truly is more than what he appears. There was such a power struggle in that scene between Dr. Edwards and Mother, it was so fascinating to watch. I truly feel sorry for Dr. Edwards, because his fate is officially up in the air. 

Oh look, Chick is figuring Norma out. And surprise, the incest thing is more complicated than just rape. But it looks like Caleb is going to be back at some point this season, and Chick is going to try to kill him. Personally, I hope someone kills Chick and Caleb, but I also grew to like Caleb (I guess I realize that everyone on this show has done pretty terrible things, but it's the people they've ended up becoming now is what makes a big difference). I never even wanted to like Caleb, but there you go. 

• Love 8

I don't think the Doctor had any reason to lie. The story makes much more sense if he was seeing Mother. Norma is back in town living her life with Romero almost happy while Norman is having a psychotic break. Norman called her but got a voicemail so he called Mother and Mother always comes when he calls.

The story makes no sense if Norma showed up. As a matter of fact her being there for him in actually counterproductive to the storyline and makes the doctor look like a creep instead of a well meaning Doctor that will ultimately fail to save Norman befor Mother takes over completely.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8
On the other hand, I don't think the real Norma would be that warm or encouraging either; at least, not in this particular scenario. The moment she learned that Dr. Edwards asked about Norman's father, I expected a flustered and babbling Norma - instead, she was fairly even-keeled about the whole matter.

I don't agree that Norma is this flustered and babbling mess with regard to Norman's father, particularly when talking to him about his father. She was pretty calm and steady when he came out of his blackout and realized his father was dead and she's always been firm with him and anyone else that his father's death was an accident. And I think she was consistent with what we've seen from her with regard to these secrets. She tells Norman it is the doctor's job to ask questions and he just wants to help when the only thing Norman tells her is that the doctor is asking a lot of personal questions. When he specifies that the doctor is asking about his father, Norma goes straight into downplaying that situation and saying that the man is dead so he doesn't have to think about it. To me that was very consistent with the Norma who is still trying to keep the fact that Norman murdered his dad, a secret. 

I don't think the Doctor had any reason to lie.

I don't think anyone thinks the doctor is lying - at least I haven't gotten that impression. The point is that the doctor noted that no one saw Norma and that she was not on the list of guests for Norman. But the point myself and others are making is that the way we saw the scene play out, Norman was walking outside, he noticed Norma walking up and called her and she came to him. Therefore, it is entirely possible that Norma never signed in because she saw Norman as she was walking in and just went to him, never bothering to do it or even remembering. 

Because we do know that the voicemail we saw Norman leaving Norma happened because the doctor mentioned knowing that Norman lied about wanting to call Emma and really called his mother. No matter how much Norma is trying to let go and move on, does anyone really believe Norma would just completely ignore a message like that from Norman? A message where he's telling her how sorry he is, how he's working with the doctors and trying to get better, etc. I don't think so.

As to the point then of the doctor believing she wasn't real and confronting Norman on that, well as I noted above, I think it was to get to the point of Mother coming out during his session. Obviously, we know Norman hallucinates and sees Norma when she's not there but as I said, unless the writers have decided to truly screw with the viewers, that scene was not the Mother we have seen with Norman. Again, she was too warm, comforting and supportive. Mother controls Norman. But hey, I may be wrong. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I don't think anyone thinks the doctor is lying - at least I haven't gotten that impression. The point is that the doctor noted that no one saw Norma and that she was not on the list of guests for Norman. But the point myself and others are making is that the way we saw the scene play out, Norman was walking outside, he noticed Norma walking up and called her and she came to him. Therefore, it is entirely possible that Norma never signed in because she saw Norman as she was walking in and just went to him, never bothering to do it or even remembering. 

True. I guess I'm just bothered by a scenario where security at a psychiatric treatment center is so lax that inpatients can wander around the campus and meet visitors without any of the staff noticing, or where visitors can enter the grounds despite not checking in. Then again, given Julian's history of repeatedly breaking out on his own, I guess Pineview doesn't really place a high priority on security.

• Love 4
I think he wasn't sure at first if Norman was trying to make him uncomfortable, knowing he was gay to maybe make an accusation against him, etc.

That's what I was thinking. They totally fooled me. I didn't get what was going on until right before the doctor did. 

• Love 4

That's what I was thinking. They totally fooled me. I didn't get what was going on until right before the doctor did. 

Freddie up against the door at that point was SO Vera.  I got chills, lol.

• Love 2

I was expecting a "zipper" like after open heart surgery.

Me too.  That incision looked more like what you'd get from breast implants.  I think to access your lungs they need to spread your ribs, and I've never heard of them doing that horizontally?

Me too.  That incision looked more like what you'd get from breast implants.  I think to access your lungs they need to spread your ribs, and I've never heard of them doing that horizontally?

A quick google search or wiki search has the incision as correct in the show and is is known as a clamshell incision.

• Love 3

A quick google search or wiki search has the incision as correct in the show and is is known as a clamshell incision.

Wait a minute... I thought one of the Bates writers has, or had, CF.  Thus I suppose it's safe to trust them on matters of verisimilitude.

• Love 1

Chiming in to agree with those who found the scene in which Norman turned into Mother to be creepy, chilling perfection. I only wish that Norman had sat on the couch in a more Mother-like fashion. He plunked himself down like a trucker at a backyard hog roast.

Other than that, I found the episode a little weak. I got the sense it was intended to be a transitional episode between the early season arcs (Norman getting to Pineview, Norma getting married) and the story arcs going forward. But...I'm not sold on what those story arcs are apparently going to be.

First, Dylan and Emma appear to be in stasis. She's healing well, her father's cool with Dylan, they're still in love. There's no obstacle or antagonist to their stated goal of moving to Seattle, so zzzzzzzzzz.

Second, this episode did not advance Romero's storyline, which is a missed opportunity IMO. If his crooked past catches up to him, it will threaten his and Norma's newfound happiness, perhaps causing her to doubt her attempt to be happy without Norman, etc etc. I think the episode could have upped the stakes by having Rebecca threaten Alex, or showing her trying to cut a deal with the DEA to take him down for murder, or something. Anything other than the "Why didn't you marry meeeeeeee" scene with Rebecca. In the oh-so-interesting setting of the sheriff's department parking lot.

Third, Chick. I do find his loopy-but-menacing-artist schtick entertaining. But IMO his character is too off-puttingly weird, and too one-dimensional, to be a strong antagonist against a well-written character like Norma Bates. I hope this whole "tell me where your brother is" arc is a sideshow rather than the main event.

Fourth, Caleb. Sounds like he's going to re-enter the picture. Blegh. OTOH, it's a great choice because Norma will presumably do anything to avoid revealing this painful aspect of her past to Romero. OTOH, I feel as though Season 3 fully mined her conflicted feelings about her brother. To me, bringing Caleb back would feel like rehash at this point.

The first four episodes of the season were so good, though! I still have faith in the writers, so I'm crossing my fingers that my take on where the season is going is wrong.

• Love 1

Was Norma in the garden with Norman?  I think the answer to this is up to the viewers.  The moment that fascinated me was when the other patient walked by and shot them/him a weird look.  A brief moment of only a second or two.  Could be that the patient was staring at beautiful Norma interacting with her son, or it could be that the patient was perplexed because Norman was walking alone having a conversation with nobody.  And we, the viewers, are left to decide. 

Edited by Lostinthehouse
  • Love 3

Well, this viewer believes the rational doctor, not the delusional patient.  

I don't know if it's a clue or not, but it seems like Norma dresses differently when she's in Norman's head.  She had on a beautiful purple jacket and multicolored scarf in that scene.  It's like Norman has a little different fashion taste, maybe?  A little girlier or prettier, maybe.  

Wow, I don't even want to imagine how they get your lungs out with a clamshell incision.   Creepy.  

True. I guess I'm just bothered by a scenario where security at a psychiatric treatment center is so lax that inpatients can wander around the campus and meet visitors without any of the staff noticing, or where visitors can enter the grounds despite not checking in. Then again, given Julian's history of repeatedly breaking out on his own, I guess Pineview doesn't really place a high priority on security.

Just about to say that; you beat me to it :-)

• Love 1

How about that art in the psychiatrist's office?  All it was missing was The Scream.  

I recall thinking that it was kind of weird. What was it? Some dude standing in some scenery? [/no glasses ] :-)

If we had a clue how old Norman was in Psyco we would have an idea when Norman kills Mother, but I don't think the movie gave us any clues.  It probably could be years, since Norman recently finished high school.

Does anyone else have the feeling that Emma's dad is not the good guy he seems to be?

I can never tell about Emma's dad. He does have that creepy taxidermy thing, and Emma's mom did say he was abusive...but I have never gotten a scary vibe from him, and he did raise adorable Emma, so I have no idea. 

It continues to be a crime that Freddie will never get any awards love for this performance. Norman is such an interesting character, and Freddie just brings him to life with such a great combination of scary, sympathetic, selfish, and delusional. Its just so full of layers, I love seeing it.

I love Dylan and Emma, but I do hope they move closer into the plot soon. Them being cute is a nice contrast to the craziness happening elsewhere, but there should be some forward movement soon.

• Love 4